Utah Jazz: Harpring unsure about his future

Comments

• Harp has given a lot
    July 2, 2009 11:33 p.m.

The rules are complicated, I think if he does not play due to medical issues the Jazz get an extra MLE which they don't really need. It may be best to have him start the season and sit on the bench and then buy him out. His contract is non guaranteed at least in part.

It might be best to trade him for a credit or a draft pick and then let them release him and resign him for the minimum. He may make a decent assistant coach.

Hopefully he heals up so he is not in pain and hobbling around for the next 60 years.

• jazzfan
    July 2, 2009 11:41 p.m.

Matt whatever will be your future, your being a great player for the jazz institution but your family and health are first and we will understand.
    I hope you get better soon regarless of staying or retiring, God Bless you.

• Miles
    July 2, 2009 11:44 p.m.

That is Harpring's way of saying I know CJ is so much better than me. I can see him not wanting to sit on the bench while the youngster takes his minutes. Time to hang um up Matt and start coaching. Run your basketball camps year round and have Boozer attend them in the offseason.

• Boozer.....
    July 2, 2009 11:51 p.m.

Please take note Carlos, this is what it like to have a heart. To play and give your all even though you don't have your all anymore. Effort with heart. Harpring will always be one of the best Jazz players. If not by his skill, then by his heart, toughness and love of the game. We all know that a broken fingernail or other ouhee will sideline Boozer for half a season. Maybe Matt could be a teacher or mentor to Boozer even though I think its a pipe dream. Boozer is what he is and could never play with the heart of Harpring. Too bad Matt, I wish you the best, you truly are a class act.

• jbra80
    July 2, 2009 11:57 p.m.

If healthy, I would love to see him back, but I have a feeling he won't be. His role will be really hard to replace. He's one of like 4 players (Williams, Millsap, Price) on the team that give it their all everytime out. You know opposing players want no part in guarding him. He's also probably the only one outside of Booz that can play w/ his back to the basket. When he was first coming to the Jazz I was not happy, I thought 'good another slow white guy' but a friend of mine (a Laker fan of all people) said 'trust me Jazz fans will love him'. Well he couldn't have been more right. It's too bad that his all-out style of play is likely going to force him into early retirement. If there is anyone we could replace him with i'd love to hear about it.

• rvalens2
    July 3, 2009 12:00 a.m.

Whatever happens Matt, you can walk proudly into retirement.

I only wish the Jazz had 10 more players just like you.

• todd from santa ana
    July 3, 2009 12:09 a.m.

Matt harpring is one of my all time heroes in sports, whatever your decision Matt from me THANK YOU AND I HOPE YOU WILL BE ON THE JAZZ COACHING STAFF. GET WELL!!!

• Thanks Matt
    July 3, 2009 12:23 a.m.

What a classy guy! Why can't we get more like him. His talent isn't what made him a solid player, just his drive and work ethic. If we could only give him Carlos Boozer's body I'm pretty sure we could win a championship!!!

• sorry...
    July 3, 2009 1:01 a.m.

to burst everyone's love fantasy bubble with Matt Harpring, but he is overrated! The Jazz fans obsession over him has always bugged me and I haven't been popular because of my opinion...but again Matt Harpring...really!? C'mon he may have heart but he lacks NBA talent. QUIT FLOPPING AROUND LIKE A CRAZY GUY ALL THE TIME!!!...but I guess your little charades have impressed Jazz fans and made them think you're so tough and have heart for some reason.

Boozer if you're reading this start flailing your arms anytime you're touched or bumped and then start overreacting and then all the Jazz fans will love you and think you've got passion and heart. Harps did it and it worked for him! Let's hope Harpring is done once and for all...trust me, we will not miss having him.

• Anonymous
    July 3, 2009 1:08 a.m.

Matt Harpring was a key component a few years ago when we made the Western Conference Finals. I'll never forget his defense against Tracy McGrady - if that guy (Harpring) comes back next season we can go a long ways. If he's not 90-100% he'll gracefully retire, but he's too much of a fighter to be done now - I'll bet he'll be back.

• jazzman72
    July 3, 2009 1:36 a.m.

Matt was a great player and an important part of our core for years, but his production has gone way down. Thanks for all you did Matt. Time for cj to break out of his shell and earn his money.

• Mike B.
    July 3, 2009 2:22 a.m.

To sorry, yes you are. You are one sorry individual who needs to go root for some other team. Matt Harpring may not have have the greatest basketball skills, but he more than made up for it in hustle and grit. I think you had better take a closer look at some of those "flops" and "arm flailing", as you put it. I'm sure that if you were to take one of those shots you would be in a coma. Enough about you. Matt Harpring, I am very proud to have had you represent the State of Utah and the Utah Jazz as a classy individual and a hard worker. If all the other players on the Jazz team played as hard as you, with the heart that you have and the grit and determination you have shown over the years, then the Jazz would have won at least one Championship. However, we who have enjoyed watching you consider you a true Champion and a worthy role model for our children as to what one can accomplish with a little skill, a lot of hard work, dedication, and the greatest of hearts. God Bless you.

• awsomeron
    July 3, 2009 5:30 a.m.

I know White Players are hard to find that can play in the NBA.

$6.5 Million is a lot of Money to walk away from. However when walking is an issue, it just might have to be considered.

When its over it should be proudly over.

I would go to Camp and if it did not work in camp, then call it a good day.

• Anonymous
    July 3, 2009 6:32 a.m.

As good as the Jazz have been to Harpring, maybe he will accept a cheap buy out to help them out with the luxury tax this year. Thanks Matt you were always one of my favorite players.

• kwt
    July 3, 2009 6:37 a.m.

I love Harpring. What would that do to our salary cap if he didnt play.

• Jazz Cop
    July 3, 2009 6:39 a.m.

Harpring wasn't much of a contributor last year. There's something not right about that. There weren't many times he changed the complexion of the game, I knew he was injured, I didn't really know how bad, he never talked about it. Not like boozer who had to have three mri's to find a bone chip and then had to let the whole world know how bad off his injury was and how when he came back the jazz would win a championship?!? I think harp will be a great coach, it would be nice to see him coach the jazz. What a classy guy, it wouldn't surprise me to see him get bought out if it would help the jazz, that's the kind of guy he is.

• reply to "sorry"
    July 3, 2009 7:44 a.m.

It's pretty clear that you don't understand important but sometimes subtle concepts of basketball such as team chemistry, hard work, leadership, and hustle.

Matt's not the most talented player to be sure, but he's been pretty valuable in those other ways.

• sunset
    July 3, 2009 7:47 a.m.

Harp, thanks for all the effort. Time to move on big guy. No use waiting until August because you haven't been healthy for years. Just decide now. From a business decision, this is the best news Jazz fans have had all off season. If he retires, then we lose a huge defensive liability and someone that misses more easy layups under the basket than anyone in the league. I truly appreciate the effort and toughness because we all know how much this team needs that, but we also need production. 4.4 points per game doesn't get it done my friends. So great career, take care of your body and family and help out the Jazz by retiring now, we get that salary money and can go out and get a 2 guard that can make threes.

• reply:sorry
    July 3, 2009 8:14 a.m.

Harping is the only dude in the NBA that is allowed to be punched in the face and nothing happens, he has more heart then most players out there, I am proud of him. He may not have been the most talented, but he was talented enough to play in the NBA.

• John Wicks
    July 3, 2009 8:22 a.m.

A classic act. No tatoo's, earrings and what a competitor. Matt we will miss you. Good luck with your health. You are what the Jazz were all about.

• Harpring Fan
    July 3, 2009 8:27 a.m.

Matt is awesome! He and Hornacek should both have jerseys retired for the heart they brought to this team. I am 38 yrs old, just ruptured my right achilles playing basketball, and I can not imagine having all the surgerys he has had, and still consider coming back. Whatever he decides, the fans will support. Good Luck Matt!

July 3, 2009 8:32 a.m.

Harp, you are what a true professional athlete should be...class act on and off he court and one who comes to earn his paycheck nightly, even with the pain. Best wishes to you and your body.

• re: Sunset
    July 3, 2009 8:36 a.m.

You're correct on Matt Harpring, but who are you gonna go out and get that makes 3 pointers "CONSISTENTLY" that's a 2 guard? Please shine you light on this situation, because there is nobody and we already have a 3 point shooter in Korver. And where is this so called "2 guard that can shoot 3's going to play? Behind Miles, Brewer, Korver and A.K.? Great comment on Harpring, but ridiculous comment on getting a 2 guard! Oh, and by the way, ask Jerry Sloan if he likes shooting 3 point shots in his system.

• Anonymous
    July 3, 2009 8:36 a.m.

This article sounded like a retirement speech from a guy unwilling to accept it; it's sad when somebody who loves the game and plays the right way has to give it all up. Anybody who doesn't think he contributed much to the Jazz needs only to look up quotes from T Mac on the guy, or quotes from opponents coaches about what Matt brought. The simple fact is people around the league respect the guy and those are the opinions that matter.

• Lubbock Jazz Fan
    July 3, 2009 8:38 a.m.

Thanks Harpring for the defense, hussle, and effort. This Jazz team needs Harpring's toughness. Let's hope the ankle heals and he can go.

To sorry: your response was just that "sorry".

• Thanks Matt
    July 3, 2009 8:58 a.m.

Thanks for everything you have done and gave us Matt. When you have your basketball camp I want to pay the cost for A.K. to attend your classes. This man just hasn't learned what it takes to be a player in this league. What a skinny softie we got for the max that can't score or do anything but help defense in a surprise mode. Man up he is one of the worst on our team, helping he is O.K. but has NO offensive game at all. What a waste of 90 MILLION get that 90 MILLION. Unbelievable!

• re:sorry why in the crap do
    July 3, 2009 9:13 a.m.

you think that larry h miller gave matt harpring either bryon russel's or donyell marshall's contract in the first place? it's because he knew the type of player he was getting and that he was getting his money's worth in harpring. you're obviously overlooking the hornets game this past season when jazz were in n.o. and harpring played his ass off even though the game was pretty much decided by that point anyway. harpring is going to be a bit hard to replace for a while. during his first season in utah (i think it was '01 or '02) he was darned near close to being the leading scorer for the jazz and darned near took karl malone's scoring duties when no other jazz player had ever come close to matching malone's 30+ points per game.

• Dave
    July 3, 2009 9:14 a.m.

It's been great to see a player who cares as much about playing hard and being a good teammate as Matt Harpring. Regardless of what happens this year Harp will always be a Jazzman and a great example of what hard work and heart and guts are all about. Maybe Matt could rent his heart to Boozer until he gets traded.....?

• Matt is the best!
    July 3, 2009 9:18 a.m.

Matt is one of the best people on in the NBA. It is refreshing to see someone like Matt who is a team player and gives it his all....to bad all of the Jazz players don't have that same work ethic (Boozer). Good Luck to you.

• Good for a while
    July 3, 2009 9:20 a.m.

He had a good season and a half but the Jazz should never have resigned him to the deal they did. He was a solid role player when he was healthy.

The fact that some days he can see himself playing and other days not means he's done. Good luck.

• Matt
    July 3, 2009 9:32 a.m.

Harpring was obviously not the most talented but his toughness was undeniable. Ron Artest lived in fear as long as Harpring was in the league.

Now he is on the Lakers instead of Ariza I thought we had an advantage but that sounds like it might be over.

Thats a drag.

Best wishes Matt.

• Bob2
    July 3, 2009 9:46 a.m.

One of the finest people to ever wear a Jazz uniform and certainly one of the top three toughest! I hope and pray Matt is a part of this organization till he's 75 because he is an example to younger players and so old school it's ridiculous. Best of luck in whatever you choose to do, Matt!

• kbb
    July 3, 2009 9:47 a.m.

Matt Harpring represents the best of the Jazz. When he first played for them (Stock and Malone's last year) he often had as many points as Malone!

He plays hard, he messes with the other teams' heads and faces!

If Matt is not able to play, I will miss him. He has been my favorite player for a long time! I love his grit and toughness.

Matt, do what you need to do. You've done the Jazz team and Utah proud!

• Harpring
    July 3, 2009 9:56 a.m.

only has one choice...RETIRE!!!!!

• Hey Sorry
    July 3, 2009 9:57 a.m.

If Harpring isn't NBA caliber, how come he has stayed in the league for 11 years as a starter or a 6th man? Shows how much you know.

• Class?!
    July 3, 2009 10:02 a.m.

Why do people keep mentioning class? Harpring was scum. He was a dirty player who relied on flops and cheapshot fouls to be effective. He was the exact opposite of what an NBA player should be. What a joke. Good riddance.

• PurplePeopleEater
    July 3, 2009 10:11 a.m.

It's amazing how many negative-minded people exist in the world today. But it's also reassuring how many more positive-minded people there are. These posts show that quite clearly.

I've always been excited when Matt's taken the floor, because I knew the bullies of the other teams couldn't hold a candle to his hustle. He deserved his "football" moniker that the announcers often gave him. That's the way basketball should be played--with physical effort, not with "don't-touch-me" slithering.

Harpring always played tough defense. Boozer could learn from that.

Good luck Matt, whichever way you go this year. You've been a joy to watch.

• PUNKAMAN
    July 3, 2009 10:23 a.m.

THANKS MATT, WHAT A CLASS ACT AND GOOD EXAMPLE. ALL MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS VOTE TO MAKE MATT AN ASSISTANCE COACH. WHATEVER, BEST WISHES TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.............

• matt
    July 3, 2009 10:44 a.m.

i hope he retires because he is a shadow of what he used to be. he still hustles, but he mostly ends up fouling a faster/stronger 2-guard.

there is also no guarantee (unless there is clause in his contract) that his 6.5 mil will come off the books. the jazz can petition the league for that medical retirement designation, but they can reject it-like they did cutino mobley last year.

the jazz prepared for this scenario last year by matching ok-cities' offer for cj miles. everyone wondered why they matched it, but it was because harp really did get an infection that almost killed him.

i wish him good luck, but it's time to go...

• I hope he stays with the team
    July 3, 2009 10:47 a.m.

either as a player, or a scout, or a coach, or whatever. He's the Chuck Norris of basketball, no one's tougher.

• "sorry" is back!
    July 3, 2009 11:06 a.m.

Didn't I already say I wasn't popular about my opinion!? By the responses I've nailed it on the head. Jazz fans have this undying love for a guy who doesn't really produce anything but crazy guy flops and flails. I don't deny that he is tough and has heart and grit.....he just wasn't really that valuable!!! Is it cause he's white and looks like a returned LDS missionary that Jazz fans love him? Harps had a mouth like a sailor! He could spit it out with the best of em. I thank "class?!" for a little back up here, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has recognized this.

• REASON
    July 3, 2009 11:17 a.m.

If Harpring hangs it up,

Collins will pick up the slack...

What?

• Adam
    July 3, 2009 11:47 a.m.

Classy?
    Is Harpring Classy? I guess it's all about how you define classy.

Just because someone has a "sailors mouth" doesn't mean they're not classy. I think Sloan is class, but every time he's on camera you can see him say something I wouldn't necessarily endorse.

I think Stockton was classy even though he potentially endangered other players manhood on three or four different screens a game.

Maybe when I say classy, I mean someone who goes to work every day with determination, and gives it his all. Maybe classy means they don't complain about the organization they work for and they do what they can to get the job done.

I can understand how many people question Matt's talent and ability to help the team win, but to question his will, desire, and toughness would show ignorance. He did his best. He gave his all--and his health. Most importantly, he lived up to his potential. I wish I could say that about every jazz player throughout the years.

• todd from santa ana
    July 3, 2009 11:58 a.m.

with all the issues surrounding the jazz that could be criticized (i have an armful well known) this is amazing any one would negative post about such a loyal, warrior and class act As Matt harpring.

There is nothing dirty about him, he is old school and played when they would you play physical.

Further last year he is one of the few that knew how to rotate out so someone was not wide open on a 3 in Jerrys
    "pack the paint defense"

• Anonymous
    July 3, 2009 12:11 p.m.

Those who can criticize Harping OBVISOUSLY are NOT Jazz fans nor have they seen him play night in & night out. He is truly the NBA Icon to one who has less talent but makes it up through hard work & hustle.. This is a guy who gives respect to the NBA, team & his fans. Good Luck Harpring in whatever you do, you deserve it..

• Re Sorry
    July 3, 2009 12:27 p.m.

Are you really taking skin color into account when evaluating a basketball player? Seriously? Way to reinforce the Utah stereotype.

Harpring had good basketball skills and high basketball IQ. You think that J off the curl was not effective? Dude averaged 17 a game in his prime, when healthy. That is talent. He also played hard, rebounded, played tough D, etc. Those are basketball skills. It has nothing to do with skin color, bro.

If Harpring retires, hopefully CJ will learn to play with that toughness, because he has the basketball skills to be a player. He just needs the toughness and experience.

• Hang 'em up
    July 3, 2009 12:36 p.m.

If Harpring doesn't retire, then the Jazz need to do what the Knicks did with Stephon Marbury last year. Don't even suit the guy up and release him and see how much market value he has. NO team will even think about signing him. His career is done and I loathed when he would come in last year and miss about 4 to 5 open lay ups a game. Release "Good Guy" Bishop Harpring and sign Chris "Birdman" Anderson. There's a guy with a ton of "heart" and "grit" who actually has talent and could be a the best bench player the Jazz ever had. I really hope he does retire this year, hopefully today so they can sign The Birdman.

• To Class?!
    July 3, 2009 12:45 p.m.

or should I say classless- Let me guess, you're definition of what an NBA player shuld be is someone who whines about a foul every time they miss a shot, throw themselves into defenders when shooting to draw a foul, let elbows fly whenever they feel like it, and have such a conceited arrogance about them that it flat out reeks. (or in other words= Kobe Bryant.)

You can keep your NBA type players, I'll settle for the ones that play the game the it should be- with sheer grit, determintaion, and hustle.

• Championship player
    July 3, 2009 1:06 p.m.

It is players like Harpring that help win championships. Many teams win with older veteran players not near as good as Harpring.It is too bad he has not had the health that guys like Robert Horry and Derrek Fisher have had in their days.
    He is one of the most tough Jazz players of all time. If this guy was healthy who knows what he could have done. Same with Danny Manning and Grant Hill. All 3 of those guys are who come to the top of my head on what could have been.

• Anonymous
    July 3, 2009 1:08 p.m.

Matt has been a great contender and a great example of toughness and humility. I hope he's able to come back, but if not we'll surely miss him.

• Matt
    July 3, 2009 1:17 p.m.

I love ya man, and I hate to say it, but retire... We want to see you walking around and coming back for games in the future.

• @Anoymous
    July 3, 2009 1:19 p.m.

To Matt Harpring,I wish you the best of luck this summer, rehabing your ankle, knee and body. I'm hoping the rest will be good enough for you to return, you are my all time favorite player in the NBA. I know coach Sloan will really miss you if you retire but you have to do what's best for you!!
    Matt, you played with a lot of heart and grit for the Jazz through the years, thank you!!

BOOZER: take note of what a real player with heart and soul looks like: Matt Harpring.

• gdog3
    July 3, 2009 1:30 p.m.

I have respected matt Harpring and his grit for a longtime, going back to college at GT. Whatever his decision, I wish Matt the best.

• jason
    July 3, 2009 2:06 p.m.

good riddens!

• todd from santa ana
    July 3, 2009 2:18 p.m.

what it will be is what the state wants per espn insider, fun and competitive, love sloan and Greg and root for whatever we have.

The jazz as I called for my fans will have the same basic team they closed out last year with and figure to go out round 1 of the playoffs, but no one would care they would say did best we could in small market.

• Hollywood
    July 3, 2009 2:31 p.m.

I don't understand the hatred for Matty.

He was a great player for the Jazz whem he first signed, then a decent player even with all the injuries. Maybe he played a year too long, clearly he wasn't the same last year and Sloan overused him, IMO.

But every year, every game, he left it all on the court. At times, he was one of the only guys playing with intensity. Maybe that's why Jerry played him so much - trying to get other players to match Matt's effort.

Good luck, Matt. As a long-time Jazz fan, I appreciate everything you did for the team.

• Class act
    July 3, 2009 2:31 p.m.

Matt Harpring has been someone that is able to be counted on. He has given it his all and has played injured. He is also concerned about his ability to help the team. It isn't just about money with Matt, which is awfully refreshing. Personally, I think he will retire. The Jazz will miss his grittiness and his toughness. But, that is the way he should be remembered.

• Ilka vonLoofensteen
    July 3, 2009 2:48 p.m.

Matt is the greatest because you knew everytime that he went out on the court, he worked hard. Sure, he was not the most gifted on the team but you could never doubt his heart or his effort. A sad day indeed. Maybe no ring with him here but he gave us all a great example and some pride!

I also understand that he was an excellent and prolific toe-tapper!!

• Anonymous
    July 3, 2009 4:47 p.m.

Some of you can just calm down.

You can say a lot of things about Matt, he's not as athletic as most and he didn't have as much talent as most but was NOT "scum". Crafty, smart, hard working, but not scum. A contributor, but not a star. A lot of his contributions probably weren't even seen by the public - a good practice player and an example of the kind of toughness Sloan wants and admires. I think he probably got max performance out of his body given what he had to work with. You can't fault a guy for that.

I hope he finds success after retirement.

• Re: Miles
    July 3, 2009 5:11 p.m.

That was the stupidest comment I've ever seen. Matt has gone through so much with this body and has done a great job of overcoming all of it. You go into his position and see if you're Arby's shift is as hard as being injury plagued like him.

• Dana
    July 3, 2009 6:16 p.m.

Harpring has been one of my all-time favorite Jazz players. I love his toughness and the way he plays all out. However, watching him move this season has made me think that it is time for him to hang it up and enjoy life will he can still walk. I would love to see hime play well again but it may be time.

• Strategy for winning a
    July 3, 2009 10:21 p.m.

Championship.

The Jazz run a offensive system. Each player has a role in that system. Each position has a unique set of ideal characteristics that are needed. If the Jazz could get good enough players at each position for a reasonable price they might be able to win a championship.

The Jazz will never be able to get 3 stars and win a championship. SL is not LA/BOS/CHI/NY and never will be.

The Jazz need a farm system to feed their NBA system with role players with the characteristics they need.

1. Create a strategic alliance with a European Team.
    2. Install a Jazz coach who knows the Jazz system and run it (maybe Harp?).
    3. Buy and extra 2nd round pick each year. Those are cheap and the Jazz have a decent track record of getting value out of the 2nd round.
    4. Develop 3 picks each year. Keep the best one in D-League and send the other 2 to the farm system in Europe. Once drafted the Jazz have the NBA rights for players playing in Europe.

Continued

• Farm System
    July 3, 2009 10:31 p.m.

The farm system would allow the Jazz to draft players who fit roles needed by the Jazz system. Those same players may not be as valued by other teams but would be ideal for the Jazz. Those players often end up in the second round. Second round draft picks are cheap.

The European team may pay for it's self while developing role players. As the players develop bring the bests ones over and play them in the NBA as ready. That creates a steady stream of cheap young players who know the Jazz system.

The Jazz would be able to maximize their NBA system but still stay under the luxury tax. Money spent on 2nd picks sent to Europe does not count against the cap.

As long as Sloan is coach the Jazz will use his system. It takes 2-3 years to learn his system. Good players with 3 years experience cost to much.

The farm system eliminates that problem. Replace the NBA players if they demand to much money.

The farm would also provide a lot of trade material. The Jazz could eliminate most of their weaknesses at a feasible cost.

Just a thought.

• Matt Harpring Fan
    July 5, 2009 7:16 p.m.

Fire sloan as the coach hire Matt as the new coach and we will win a championship...

• Bob
    July 6, 2009 11:47 a.m.

What could have been. Matt HAD a ton of talent. He finished second in the ACC in points and rebounds his Senior year at Tech to Antawn Jameson. He also has his Jersey retired at Tech as one of the best players to ever graduate from Tech.

He was first team all rookie in Orlando and then the injuries started and it almost seemed like he had a surgery a year the rest of his career.

It is time to hang them up Matt. Thanks for the effort and example you set as a touted high school QB who decided to play bball instead, grew into a great player in college and then did the best you could with an ailing body in the NBA.

• Jeff
    July 6, 2009 2:52 p.m.

I love Matt but its time for him to hang it up. Sad really...he is the only physical defender on the team and the Jazz will struggle without him.

• Jhompi
    July 28, 2009 12:03 p.m.

If Harp decides to end his career the Utah Jazz have to retire #15!!!! Hes been great with the team and the city, he gave everything, hustle and great playing. The Jazz should retire his number, he wore that uniform with the courage of one of the best!! Hope you the best, Harp!