Utah

Bigfoot: a search in Utah

Comments

• Anonymous
    June 24, 2009 7:06 a.m.

Up next, a gorilla suit in a freezer, and fifteen minutes of fame.

• Steve
    June 24, 2009 7:29 a.m.

Of course, all the Bigfoot stuff doesn't hurt Mr. Burns' bed and breakfast business in Duchesne.

It's amazing how the purveyors of one of the most often cited Bigfoot "films" have admitted how it was faked, and yet people still fall for this.

• andrewute1
    June 24, 2009 7:57 a.m.

I hope these "Bigfoot" explorers arent paid off commission with finding one of these.

• Mink
    June 24, 2009 8:00 a.m.

Could it be just Janet Reno in a gorilla suit? After all she said she wanted to hit the road and see America?

• Hmmm
    June 24, 2009 8:04 a.m.

Bigfoot or Cain?

knocks and whistle sounds throws rocks in the darkness

All alleged behaviors of Cain found in the Bible.

• dbf
    June 24, 2009 8:07 a.m.

Thousands of hunter out in the woods every year and yet no one ever sees a Big Foot. I wonder if this guy would be interested in buying some property in Florida that I have.

• Why Not
    June 24, 2009 8:15 a.m.

Why can't it be true? Just because YOU haven't seen one before for yourself? They find never before discovered species of various living things all the time all over the world. Washed up creatures on beaches they have no ideas of what they are, dead animals in woods where there is no record of anything looking like they do ever existing before. The world is full of unexplained, and undiscovered things still. Granted, they are far and few between, and very rare, but there are new finds every year. As to the part of the story where the naysayers ask 'why there hasn't ever been any fossil discoveries for a bigfoot type species located in the past', what I have to say to that is: In my OWN PERSONAL opinion, there are NEW & PREVIOUSLY undiscovered dinasour species fossils found and discovered all the time. And we find out only then, that there were OTHER dinasour breeds/species we never previously knew had existed on our planet. So, why is it then impossible for a 'Bigfoot' to either currently, or previously existed just because we have not found any fossil 'evidence' as of YET? Just sayin'.

• PaulFan
    June 24, 2009 8:26 a.m.

...Everybody knows that the Bigfoot species was hunted to extinction by Paul Bunyan and his trusty cohort Babe, the blue ox.

• Bailout
    June 24, 2009 8:28 a.m.

Don't worry about how they're getting their funding: I'm sure Obama included $75 million or so in the stimulus bill for Bigfoot research.

• Re: Why Not
    June 24, 2009 8:32 a.m.

I'll tell you why it can't be true....because any organism of that size would require massive amounts of food to stay alive, plus its shelter would need to be quite large. And don't tell me that it's easy for "one or two" of them to hide undetected for centuries - the total bigfoot population would need to be in the hundreds to have sufficient genetic diversity to continue the species.

You said "they find never before discovered species of various living things all the time all over the world." True, but those newly-discovered species have one thing in common - they're all very small! Their impact on the ecosystem has gone unnoticed because it's so minor. That wouldn't be the case with bigfoot.

• AZ
    June 24, 2009 8:52 a.m.

Who Cares...If the guy wants to waste time looking for bigfoot...great! After all how many hours do the rest of us spend hanging out,watching tv or maybe just playing x-box. Whatever guy... do what you want. Good luck.

• Re: Re: Why Not | 8:32 a.m. June
    June 24, 2009 9:13 a.m.

Name calling and fault finding does not make you look good.

Take some advice: Learn to disagree without being disagreeable. I found your comment to be offensive and childish.

You may know a great deal about biology. It is my hope that you people skills will improve to the point that they match your other skills.

• observing
    June 24, 2009 9:14 a.m.

At the insistence of a relative, I've sat through a couple of the John Salmond tv episodes. What a hoot! He and his cronies waddle off into the woods and are alarmed by every noise and smell they encounter. They estimate the size of a supposed Bigfoot by where they find bullets in trees where some other moron took a shot at something that scared him. Let's see, if he fell down and took a shot and the bullet's trajectory sends it 12 feet into a tree branch, then, by gum, the monster he was shooting at HAD to be at least 15 feet tall! Oh, my! Lions, and tigers, and bears - and Bigfoot. Here's another thought, Why Not, because no remains have ever been found to support the existence of anything like it. No bones, no fur, no nothin'. Hopefully, Salmond and his crew are funding their own research.

• RE: Mormon History@8:33
    June 24, 2009 9:19 a.m.

Nice. Thanks for your curious attempt to draw a connection between the American legend of Bigfoot and an anecdotal quasi-religious experience.

But since you insist: I have read the Patten account before and looked it up, thanks. 101, you rather conveniently forgot to mention it's also a SECOND-HAND account--one of those "I remember David Patten once told me that..." stories. They're easily fabricated.

I'm not saying that Bigfoot doesn't exist or that Patten never had this experience. But the first issue, since it's a scientific question, needs scientific confirmation--tangible evidence to go along with all the anecdotal material--before being accepted as fact. (The gorilla-suit-in-freezer episode and other hoaxes don't exactly help bolster the case.)

The second is largely a historical issue, since it's not truly concerned with the central tenets of my religion. Let the historians likewise debate its veracity. It doesn't need to be true for me to know the Church is true, too.

• Anonymous
    June 24, 2009 9:20 a.m.

My daughter had a friend that saw a bigfoot in the mountians of northeastern Arizona several years ago, and he told her others had seen it also. Just because not everyone goes public doesn't mean others have not seen something.

• Rich
    June 24, 2009 9:22 a.m.

That "weird feeling" is the ultimate proof we've always been waiting for. Now, finally, we know that Bigfoot exists, and he is a wise creature indeed, far more intelligent than humans or any other beast, for he has so far eluded a fate common to many humans, being hit as a pedestrian by a speeding car coming around a curve.

• Charles Vaughn
    June 24, 2009 9:24 a.m.

Some people believe in God. I've never seen him. Does that mean he doesn't exist? Let's hear what your hobbies are. I dare you.

• SLC gal
    June 24, 2009 9:29 a.m.

Maybe it's a human mutation. Like the people who change into werewolves when the moon is full?

Seriously though, I hope if there is a Bigfoot out there, they NEVER catch him, just becuase of the horrible poking, prodding, and the ultimate circus such a creature would be subjected to.

• Awesome!!
    June 24, 2009 9:30 a.m.

Stories like this just make life a bit more fun. Plus, you see far less antipathy among commenters because everyone can agree that this is just a bit crazy, but we like it.

I agree with AZ, this is no less productive of a hobby than my internet surfing, and at least this guy gets some exercise and a thrill.

• The Rock
    June 24, 2009 9:30 a.m.

I live in Washington State.
    I have never met bigfoot or seen any evidence to support the existence of this elusive critter.
    I find it unusual that there is not more physical evidence for the existence of bigfoot if in fact it does exist.

Nevertheless...

I cannot just dismiss the reports from credible people who have seen, heard or smelled things they cannot otherwise explain. There are many things in this world that cannot be explained. Science requires that we keep an open mind. Much of science consists of doing that which once was thought to be impossible.

People laugh at the Liahona in the Book of Mormon (a ball or director with arrows pointing the way they should go in the wilderness and courious writting would appear from time to time). While traveling recently with my laptop, Microsoft Streets and Trips and a GPS antena, I had such a device. It pointed the way we should go and writting did appear and a voice was heard giving us instructions to boot.

If I made that claim in the 1960's I would have had my head examined against my will.

• Healthy hobby
    June 24, 2009 9:30 a.m.

At least these guys are spending their time outdoors with friends, rather than indoors in some virtual-pretend-universe online.

Is "Second Life" any more real than bigfoot? Is building a pretend race car in the garage any better for the world than than building a myth in nature?

And in regards to David W. Patten, I wouldn't put it past a frontiersman on a long solo journey to tell a tall tale or two. Those days were full of myths and mystery.

• Napoleon Dynamite
    June 24, 2009 9:32 a.m.

All the flippin sasquatches got defeated by the horses! Didn't any of you learn anything from my Utah State Fair commercials? GOSH!!!

• To "Re:Why Not"
    June 24, 2009 9:39 a.m.

"Re:Why Not", you had written the following in your post where you were obviously responding directly to me:
    "True, but those newly-discovered species have one thing in common - they're all very small! Their impact on the ecosystem has gone unnoticed because it's so minor. That wouldn't be the case with bigfoot.
    Obviously you know nothing about biology, ecology, or the food chain, so why don't you leave the discussion to the adults?"

So, my response is this: First, NOT ALL newly found species are 'very small' as you stated. One newly found dinasour species (JUST THIS YEAR)is larger than a T-Rex. Myself, I wouldn't consider that to be 'very small'.

However, although I may not 'know anything about biology, etc.', as you had informed me, I guess YOU 'Obviously don't know much about comparative/relative sizes either then' if you consider a dinasour of that size to be "VERY SMALL", am I right?

Just because something hasn't been found YET doesn't mean that it definitivly doesn't exist. One just hasn't been found as of yet.

Maybe it's YOU who should leave the discussion to adults?

• Cats
    June 24, 2009 9:43 a.m.

TO: Re: RE: Why Not 8:32....That was a great blog. Thank you for dressing down people who are immature and nasty. We can have reasonable debate and mature discussion without getting insulting.

Does Bigfoot exist? I have no idea. But I think anyone should be allowed to express his/her opinion without being insulted.

• Phantom Panther
    June 24, 2009 9:47 a.m.

I have not seen a Bigfoot. However, I have read Dr. Meldrum's book "Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science." It is well-researched and well-written. Your local library may have a copy. Also, I have a brother-in-law who claims to have seen one of these creatures. He is a religious man (currently a Stake President) and is not prone to lying or making up things for attention. So, I believe people are defintely seeing something unusual in the woods.

• Ernest T. Bass
    June 24, 2009 9:55 a.m.

Probably the same people who think byu will one day play in a BCS bowl.

• in the middle
    June 24, 2009 10:07 a.m.

People who claim to see bigfoot are seeing something they don't understand. There have been thousands and thousands of sightings by people who are hunters, forest rangers, doctors, lawyers, law officials etc. Why would these people risk their reputations by saying they say a bigfoot. Could it be possible that 1 sighting was real and that bigfoot exists. It's very possible. I hope bigfoot does exist and would love to look for it, but I have a wife and a daughter and one on the way. In the future I hope I will be able to search for it. I live in Western Pa. and wonder if anyone knows any stories from there. I also find it hard to believe that with all the technology today that the only good video is the Patterson-Gimlin from 40 years ago. All the people today that search have video cameras, cameras. there are also tons of motion cameras tied to trees and no good pictures. I hope they do exist and would have fun trying to prove that they do, but I just don't see that the existence being real. Thanks for Listening.

• Let them come
    June 24, 2009 10:09 a.m.

As long as they want to come to Utah and spend money here, I say lets make them welcome. We don't have to believe, to be good hosts, and pocket their spendings.

• Mocking Mockers
    June 24, 2009 10:10 a.m.

I like mocking folks who mock folks who believe in bigfoot. They're so certain they're right about the most trivial things . . .

• Mark
    June 24, 2009 10:12 a.m.

I spent many years in Search and Rescue in British Columbia and Washington State, and at one of our annual training conferences, a researcher from BFRO was invited to give a presentation. Every one of his seminars were standing room only. It was absolutely fascinating. He presented a lot of compelling information and evidence that would make anyone stop and think. I have no idea if Bigfoot exists or not. I am, however, willing to keep an open mind and would probably enjoy one of those outings to look for the creature. Let those who want to believe do so. If you don't believe, that's cool too.

• JanSan
    June 24, 2009 10:14 a.m.

I do not know if Big Foot exist. It is a neat thought to think about. I have not read Dr. Meldrum book but he was a member of my ward for a short while. He was kind of on the quite side but he did not seem at all wack-O in any way. I did learn that he goes overseas a lot to do research there also so this is not just an "American" creature.. I guess that there has been quite a lot of sighting in the China area and they seem to tell about the same size and discription as the sightings here. As, I said I do not say yea or nay... but one thing to think about is the saying "Where there is smoke, there is usually fire" or something like that. Therefore I try to keep an open mind about this and read and learn as I go.

• re: Ernest T. Bass
    June 24, 2009 10:17 a.m.

You sir are rude! You and Re:Why Not @8:32 ought to do us all a favor and take a class on being polite.

• Joshthebadbear
    June 24, 2009 10:18 a.m.

Re: Why not, re re not and re re re not :

I'm not sure if there's a big foot (but I hope so . . . just so big mouth will have to extract his probably even bigger foot from his mouth when he apologizes to the nice person who expressed an honest opinion here.

I do know that contemporary thinking at one time declared the world to be flat till someone took a wrong turn in a ship. Maybe when that happened it inflated ?

be nice kids.

• The Patterson Film
    June 24, 2009 10:33 a.m.

I watched again the original Patterson / Grimlin film of Bigfoot @ Bluff Creek on U-TUBE. I have to say - all joking aside - this is a pretty convincing piece of evidence. Not a believer myself I have to admit this film footage is hard to refute. Slow motion shows muscles flexing in the creatures legs as it walks. Breasts are clearly evident as well. The size of the beast would have taken about a 450 lb man who was very very agile - hard to find even in the NFL. All this footage shot by ole Roger Patterson back in 1967. Holy cow even the best of Hollywood today can't put a man in a monkey suit and make it look realistic and we're talking 1967. If this film was a hoax, it was the best hoax ever created.

• when the sun goes down
    June 24, 2009 10:37 a.m.

Everybody is a bigfoot comedian ...that is until they are setting by the camp fire somewhere in the High Unitas with the full moon shining overhead. Suddenly bigfoot seems plausible.

• Chadders
    June 24, 2009 10:43 a.m.

I agree with AZ. I don't know if Bigfoot exists or not. I don't really care enough to call this guy a crazy lunatic or a genius. It seems interesting that there is evidence for both sides. Seems kinda like religion, right? I guess those that have seen him know and there are others that only believe. There are some that are so certain that he doesn't exists and others still that are indiferent.

• Anonymous
    June 24, 2009 10:51 a.m.

These people mirror thoughts of the religious out there. Believing means its fact. The degree, which you believe is directly related to whether what you believe is fact. If you can't disprove the existence of Big Feet, UFO's or alligators in the sewers, this proves it must be true.

• Believer
    June 24, 2009 11:04 a.m.

I have been waiting for someone to go to on a quest to find Bigfoot. I have been a believer since i was a young child, and after this article i believe even MORE!! thank you!

• Believer's mother
    June 24, 2009 11:09 a.m.

I am Believer's mother. I want you all to know that her "contribution," as it's called, was made tongue in cheek, in case it isn't obvious. Though in truth, she is 14 and is going camping in the Uintahs in a couple of weeks, and half of her does believe.

As I am 50, and have been hearing of Bigfoot sightings since I was 14, and yet no Bigfoot mama and baby has ever been found in all that time--only giant footprints--my conclusion is that they are either from space, are soon to be extinct, or as previously suggested, are a figment of the moonlight and the campfire and the rarefied air of the High Uintahs.

Thanks for listening.

• just
    June 24, 2009 11:11 a.m.

check missouri 1835 then laugh your head off at your own people.

• Dog
    June 24, 2009 11:21 a.m.

People are born with great imaginations and seem to love to use them. They love to dream up stuff for others to believe and add to the imagination of others who cannot dream up the BIG stuff. It also makes people feel like their life is much more worth while in telling great tales, and that they have made a great mark on humankind and the world, or in this case a Bigfoot footprint.

• Roaming Hippie
    June 24, 2009 11:25 a.m.

re: Hmmm | 8:04 a.m. June 24, 2009

Lol, yeah if I was thousands of years old I would probably stop cutting my hair or bathing too.

• dd
    June 24, 2009 11:55 a.m.

The first rule of science is skepticism. Dr. Meldrum has made the case for Big Foot and it is the other scientists' job to make him prove it. He needs to provide something like hair, feces, etc. DNA analysis could provide proof.

People have seen something but that doesn't make it BigFoot.

• Science
    June 24, 2009 12:25 p.m.

FTI, no-one had ever actually seen a "real" Giant Squid until 5 years ago.

"In 2004, a giant squid, later named "Archie", was caught off the coast of the Falkland Islands by a trawler. It was 8.62 metres (28.3 ft) long and was sent to the Natural History Museum in London to be studied and preserved."

The first photographs of a live giant squid in its natural habitat were taken on September 30, 2004, by Tsunemi Kubodera (National Science Museum of Japan) and Kyoichi Mori (Ogasawara Whale Watching Association).

• CM
    June 24, 2009 12:33 p.m.

There is a person in Wellington, TX that claims to have shot and buried 2 BigFeet, a male and a female. Then the Gubbinmint done came and dug them up! There were multiple black SUV's and a backhoe that showed up at his house in the middle of the night.

Do a search for Ed Hale and BigFoot, Wellington TX. Also, search for Art Bell and his interview with Ed Hale, AKA "Bugs" that is available for listening.

• Kinda reminds me of
    June 24, 2009 12:50 p.m.

Grimm's and fairytales.

• Thinkin' Man
    June 24, 2009 1:08 p.m.

I'd enjoy the hunt for Bigfoot if this were all done in fun. But the fact that some take it seriously makes me sad that in 21st century America an adult citizen would have such a lack of scientific understanding.

Same could be said for listeners of Art Bell and George Noory.

• Bigfoot
    June 24, 2009 1:16 p.m.

Hello all you humans,

I am the real bigfoot. We do exist. We are very smart as is evedent in the fact we have not been discoverd by you. I just thought the timing was right to let you humans know that we are real and we do exist. We can do a lot of things, including tie into your emails systems and internet to post this message! We always cremate our dead so that is why you will not find a fossil record of us.

Anyway, good luck finding us!
    Take er easy!
    Bigfoot

• Lots of evidence/witnesses...
    June 24, 2009 1:48 p.m.

Like many of the dozens of the accounts in this story, I also have had two friends/neighbors that had very similar encounters with a large, hairy man- one was at Fremont Lake and the other in the Wasatch mountain range. One was seeing the creature at the edge of the lake drinking while out boating, and the other sighting was similar- unearthly screams and a very foul stench. I trust both of these people- and I'll bet you'd find a hundred other folks in this area that haven't shared their stories.

• CougarKeith
    June 24, 2009 2:01 p.m.

My only regret in the "Search For BigFoot" is that Human Nature is to KILL! It's not a common creature, so if you see it, KILL IT! Stuff it, put it on display and MAKE MILLIONS! That is the scary part of the "Search For BigFoot", proving it is real is not enough, man wants to have an actual specimin to gawk at, to relish and say, I GOT THE FIRST ONE, dead or alive, and that is what I hate about the natural man.

• Bigfoot
    June 24, 2009 2:37 p.m.

We smell funny because we like to keep other animals away, like grizzly bears. We use a special mix of herbs and spices to make that scent! We also make the noises we make because it is our lanquage. It is simplistic and effective. your human lanquages are very complicated, except maybe cherokee. That is a simplistic language. I would love to do a today show apperiance, but I am affraid I would be apprehended and taken into custody for research. By the way we have been doing this similar research on humans for thousands of years.

The best place to find us is in the Cache-national forest, Logan Cave, old deserted mines, and the BYU campus. You have outlawed yourselves from going into these places and so it makes it an easy home for us, and the other places we just seam to blend in.

• Snipe Hunting
    June 24, 2009 2:37 p.m.

Searching for Big Foot is the adult version of the snipe-hunting escapades that help older Boy Scouts "bond" with younger ones.

The snipe-hunting phenomenon is so ingrained in our culture that Pixar celebrates it in the wonderful new movie "Up."

I remember fondly both hunting snipes as a Tenderfoot and organizing the hunt as an older Scout.

It's harmless, and might even be fun. The more the "older kids" tell their stories, the more fun the "younger" kids have.

If Mr. Salmond wants to spend some time huntin' snipes--I say more power to him!

Oh, and, BTW, I understand it attracts them better if you put peanut butter on your cheeks.

• Donovan
    June 24, 2009 2:43 p.m.

The real actual Bigfoot according to "World history of the United States" book of records, lists the person Bigfoot as a retarded teenager who stood 6'8" tall and has an IQ of around 40.His father who was not much better off than the kid, could only make the child obey him by stomping on the kids left foot. After several years the kids food grew to twice its normal size due to the repeted injurys and healing.
    Thus, the legend was born.
    Not big harry people living in the mountains.

• lgu
    June 24, 2009 3:02 p.m.

I have seen bigfoot. He does exist. In fact I have a picture of him that is irrefutable. These people are looking in the right place. The Ashley National Forrest is where I saw and took my picture of bigfoot. Others may not believe, but, as thy say, seeing is beliving. I have seen and i believe. Before any of you call me a cook or a liar, please understand that I am neither. There is no need to lie or deceive anyone about this. I also have a plaster cast of a bigfoot footprint. I have had it evaluated by top scientists in the field of anthropology and every one of them states that it is genuine. I may have thought I was seeing things the first time if it hadn't been that I had another encounter with a bigfoot one evening while driving north on Beck street. It walked across the roadd in plain sight and was very easy to recognize. Bigfoot does exist !!!!!!!!!

• Sammy
    June 24, 2009 3:13 p.m.

When you find him see if he can play d line for byu. we are really hurting ever since Lenny Gomes left.

• Knowwhat
    June 24, 2009 3:15 p.m.

I've seen big foot, he was in the movie Harry and The Hendersons, For real.

• Lochness Monster
    June 24, 2009 3:25 p.m.

Stop looking for my friend!

-Nessie

• Re: Snipe Hunting
    June 24, 2009 3:29 p.m.

By your post, it sounds like you think that a snipe is not real. Actually, there are close to 20 species of snipes, making it one of the most COMMON shore birds with worldwide distribution. It is because of the difficulty in hunting the snipe that the "Boy Scout Snipe Hunt" came into existence. (This sounds vaguely familiar). Military "snipers" were also named after the snipe.
    Regards.

• Fish
    June 24, 2009 3:41 p.m.

This dude in the camo is probably a really good Republican. Haha.

• Are
    June 24, 2009 3:49 p.m.

those Cowboys Football Linemen out again running around on the mountains in their gorilla suits, scaring people? Something needs to be done about them........LOL!!

• DCZE
    June 24, 2009 4:09 p.m.

Ryan Layton is my cousin. For MANY years we have told stories of experiences here in Utah. I, myself, have never seen (or smelled)one, but members of my family have. I make it a habit of NEVER saying NEVER. Until there is proof that there isn't... there IS the possibility. Those out there that feel the need to bash "believers" were probably bullies in school. Who cares what you think really? I believe in what my cousin does and sure hope he and his group eventually come up with something "solid" so they can say "told ya so" and once and for all shut the "bullies" up!!! GO RYAN!!! I support you!!!

• Funny
    June 24, 2009 4:34 p.m.

This guy looks like he played to many games of D&D when he was a kid. Can anyone take this guy seriously, he looks like he would be scared of his own shadow. He is no Doug Miller or avid sports man thats for sure :) still laughing in amusement.

• Naruto
    June 24, 2009 4:39 p.m.

Hmmm, from the pic supplied I could see how others might think HE is big foot, I mean snooping around the forest, I might mistake him for a Sasquatch!

• Never saw a cougar either
    June 24, 2009 4:46 p.m.

I am open to bigfoots existance. I have spent thousands of hours in some of the most remote areas in Utah and have never seen a cougar or a bobcat and only once have I seen a bear. There are thousands of each of these animals and yet we rarely see them. It seems a smaller population, especially if nocturnal may be able to avoid being captured. I have also never seen the corpse of any of the above animals outside of a museum, so again a small population may avoid having their remains found especially in light of the remote areas which they are said to inhabit. Oh, if someone wants fossil evidence, there is the gigantipithicus which is a giant ape that lived in asia around 300,000 years ago. If humans crossed the landbridge some the last ice age, could not this creature have done the same either in a prior ice age, or a small remanant that we are unaware of?

• Hide 'n' Seek
    June 24, 2009 4:49 p.m.

This is so typical of BigFoot...while they are hunting for him in the Himalayas, he vacations in America. When they hunt for him in the States, back he goes to play yeti in China or Nepal...all it takes is a different coat...question is, how does he get there???

• Bigfoot
    June 24, 2009 5:00 p.m.

Ryan came across one of our camps once. I think we scared the tar out of that guy. And Igu we have been watching you for some time now. You will be one of our next test specimans.

Anyway we will leave some foot prints in the uintahs this weekend to give you all some more to feed on.

Loving this little dynamic we have going on.

Take er easy
    Bigfoot

• question
    June 24, 2009 5:12 p.m.

does anyone else want to dress up in bigfoot costumes and run around up there this weekend?

• RE: Igu@3:02
    June 24, 2009 5:49 p.m.

I don't think I could call you a liar, from what I'm reading from you now, but somebody might be able to call you a cook! Maybe even 3 times a day!

• Re Bigfoot / 1:16 p.m.
    June 24, 2009 6:05 p.m.

That is amazing. I didn't know you were so techno savy.............LOL!!

• The Missing Link
    June 24, 2009 6:12 p.m.

Darwin couldn't never find the missing link. Roger Patterson found it instead! Good ole Roger. The aggravating thing here is we can't get any photos for the history books! I think old Sasquatch is a pretty smart feller and knows if he gives one photo the Paparazzi will bleed him dry!

• Eustace C. Cornflower
    June 24, 2009 6:14 p.m.

I seen him near Coalville too. He was as big as a growed up Elk and had great long arms. Once he saw me he walked away real fast.

• My question
    June 24, 2009 6:24 p.m.

is, if this creature is out there roaming around on its two legs, and with the techonology out there, why can't we pick it on our sattelites orbiting around the globe? We can pick out anyone sunbathing in their backyards or some drug dealers's hideout somewhere in the middle of a rainforest in Colombia and yet no sattelite images of some 8-9 foot massive bigfoot? Someone is making money from the fees you are paying, people.

• Been in that area
    June 24, 2009 6:50 p.m.

I have spent most of my adult life in that area but I never did seen bigfoot, but I did see Elvis there once! He told me to tell everyone, "thankyouverymuch". LOL

• Frogman
    June 24, 2009 7:49 p.m.

Bigfoot is nothing but folklore and the figment of someones great imagination. He is a nobody comic book character... However, some humans have BIG FEET and they smell too.

• Entertained
    June 24, 2009 7:58 p.m.

Thanks for all of your contributions. It was a "hilarious" read.

• mark
    June 24, 2009 8:40 p.m.

bigfoot is real. Not sure why all the doubters. Believe.

• Re: Been in that area
    June 24, 2009 8:59 p.m.

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL..........Good response...

• Open minded
    June 24, 2009 9:29 p.m.

I have been on a few of these expeditions and I am very open minded.I also agree that at least we are having a great time and the results could be life changing.I would also like to say that a whale can live eating one of the smallest organisms in the ocean.There are just way too many sightings by very reputable people.On the other hand there are also some nuts in the mix and hoaxers.

• Tongue in cheek Openmindedness
    June 25, 2009 5:14 a.m.

In the 60's some high school kids out around Duchesne pulled off a prank one winter after a good snowstorm. Had people all abuzz for a while. They made a couple of pairs of stilts with big bare footed feet and plastered an area with footprints out in the cedars...then sat back and had a grand time watching people from all over come out to check them out before the sun melted the snow and they melted away. Lots of excitement. Nice to know traditions and folklore never die....... Stories can really grow...if you put enough imagiation into them.

• @ Never saw a cougar
    June 25, 2009 7:04 a.m.

Maybe you haven't, but chousands of others have and we have them in captivity as well as dead specimins for proof. With all out modern technology such as inrared and night scopes, we should have concete evidence.

• Wow
    June 25, 2009 7:16 a.m.

As I read through the "Bigfoot sightings" I was amazed to discover that if you don't know what you saw it must be a bigfoot.
    As nature deprived as our society is most people don't know the difference between a deer and an elk. How can we expect them to be able to identify what they see in the mountains in the dark after spending hours around the campfire telling ghost stories?

• On Darwin
    June 25, 2009 9:23 a.m.

Darwin might not have found the missing link, but scientists after him did...in fact, lots of missing links.

The giant squid wasn't found until recently because it lives IN THE OCEAN. We humans are land dwellers only barely stepping into the water. A large animal, would need to have a shelter for survival, sometimes fairly long term considering birthing and the time necessary for recovery post delivery.

Dinosaurs, while quite large, are buried in the ground so also are not easily found until uncovered.

Where are the skeletal remains, hair left on tree branches (which should be abundant) or any real evidence?

• Zoobie
    June 25, 2009 11:11 a.m.

I have seen bigfoot on 2 separate times.

The first was in the mountains east of Idaho Falls, Me and my friend were comming off of the hill from a hike at dusk. As we came around the a bend I could smell something aweful. My friend was walking in front of me, but it wasen't him. As we got around the bend we startled one and it took off running down the trail a ways and then through the brush. It was clearly a bigfoot and not some dude in a costume. The thing left prints on the ground and we started to follow some of the tracks. We then heard the scream. Hard to describe but extremly frightening. It was pretty dark at this time so we left.

The second time was while we were hunting out the mountains west of Randolph. We on a ridge scoping out the area when we saw a bigfoot head across a clearing toward a small creek down below. We just stayed there and watched him drink, and then it walked off down a ravine. We found his tracks and were able to come back and get castings.

• to dbf
    June 25, 2009 12:09 p.m.

What do you mean " noone sees it?"
    There are thousands of reports. I never saw it, but 4 of us were backpacking in the Marble Mountain om the Cal/Ore border, and at night, there were horrible grunts and screams, and the next morning, one of our backpacks was crushed. From the top down to the bottom, the frame was compressed. Not a single tear in it like a bear claw would leave, and we know this because black bears have opened our packs before and they are always in shreds. This was just dead weight applied to the top of the frame, and it was crushed down to a height of about 14" and was 30 inches new. Wierd.
    There is no logical explanation, unless a de-clawed bear happened upon it. And a large bear, larger than those found up there.
    So I'm open for just about anything.
    Lindsey in Sandy

• Look frame-by-frame
    June 25, 2009 1:49 p.m.

Find your way to bigfoot encounters. They have a spectacular frame-by-frame show of the Patterson-Gimlin footage. No way a suit advanced enough to show muscle movement and contraction was available in 1967. That is exactly what you'll see on the thigh, calf, shoulder and chest muscle as "Patty" walks away.
    A suit back then would have been little more than some carpet or somesuch, and that would hang on a man like, well....a carpet.
    It's cool to see. Watch the fingers open and close too, also not possible as her arms are much longer than some big guy in a suit.
    Abe

• i hope it stays
    June 25, 2009 5:31 p.m.

away from the worst species on earth as they wiped all the wild life , just look at all the towns called such things like elk point , moose crossing, bearfoot(oh, maybe not that one) but some of those places haven'tseen the animal they were named for in years as man has destroyed them all!

• FBI agent anonymous
    June 25, 2009 7:13 p.m.

BTW/FYI
    The Sasquatch species is indeed viable and authenic,however 99% of the public would not be able to even comprehend a fraction of the nature or even the origin of the species!

• Mosspelt
    June 25, 2009 9:44 p.m.

Maybe there is a bigfoot, mwahahaha... or maybe not. If they find anything I probably will be surpirised!

• Thanks, Des-News
    June 25, 2009 10:28 p.m.

I like this article. It is good to know that Bigfoot is out there somewhere. I will keep an eye out for him next time i'm in his neck of the woods :)

• Believer's Mother
    June 26, 2009 8:45 a.m.

I came back today to check the latest on the blog. Haven't had such a good time in weeks. We need articles like this just to counterbalance the rest. Thank you.

Normally I call for the demise of these blogs, but this one on Bigfoot shows why they should be kept alive. Wish we could keep such a good sense of humor on all issues.

• anonymous by choice
    June 26, 2009 10:44 a.m.

Just by reading the scathing comments towards people who believe in Bigfoot or claim to have seen one makes it completely understandable why a huge number of sightings go unreported.

I saw bigfoot in 1980 in the Uintah Mtns near Betsy Lake. I was walking alone through the woods and felt like I was being watched. It was a feeling that made every hair on my arms stand up. Looking around I noticed what looked like a tall man observing me from about 40 yards away. At this point, thinking it was a human being I started to walk and kept looking at it. It paced me, staying parallel to me and at roughly the same distance for about a quarter mile. At that point the trees started thinning and I was able to see "the man" better and I noticed it was very tall and covered in a gray/black fur. At that point I panicked and ran.

When I got back to camp my best friend could see I was freaked out. He went out looking in the same area and came back saying he had seen the same thing.

scoff if you will, I believe.

• Search for the Truth
    June 26, 2009 1:02 p.m.

While your at it, why don't you look for the even more elusive 'real truth about the Mormon church'!?!

• Hill Billy in Utah
    June 26, 2009 2:35 p.m.

Folks, come on!!! Of course there is no Bigfoot. Let's see, scientist have caught, analyzed and cataloged over 15,000 different types of butterfly, but not a single hair, bone or legitimate photo of Bigfoot.

Humans have managed to put most of earth's species (land and water dwelling) in danger from over-hunting. Yet, nobody has killed a Bigfoot yet?

Folks, use your brain that God has given you. There are no leprechauns, hobbits, dragons or Bigfoot. This is silly.

• This is Like the X-Files
    June 26, 2009 4:56 p.m.

All of you Bigfoot believers would be happy to know that there is currently a 1 million dollar cash reward for ANY credible evidence of Bigfoot. Credible means a single hair sample would suffice because they could do DNA testing on it and find out what species Bigfoot is related to.

Also, of the many hundreds of Bigfoot footprints that have been analyzed by scientist, there has never been any skin cells or microscopic tissue that they have found. All other animals that leave footprints leave plenty of material in their footprints to do DNA testing on, except Bigfoot. Gee, I wonder why?!

There is a sucker born every minute.

• Destiny
    June 27, 2009 9:27 a.m.

Jeff Meldrum and some other researchers DID obtain DNA from a board that had nails in it from a place in British Columbia (I believe) and had it tested. I cant rememember their exact wording on it but I believe they called it unknown primate. It was on Monster Quest.

• To Destiny
    June 27, 2009 11:30 a.m.

Wrong. The DNA test results showed that it was "Buffalo hair".

• Puzzled
    June 28, 2009 11:20 a.m.

In about a972, my wife and I took our 4WD truck up the very rugged road leading to the top of the Henry Mountains. We broke through a drift of snow covering the road (in July) and stopped at the highest pass, a meadow in thick pines, to eat our lunch. I heard branches snapping in the trees on the eastern downslope, and when I looked, I saw something big and covered with black fur hurrying downslope.

I only caught a glimpse, not enough to identify it, but the pine branches about ten ft. up the trees were swaying back & forth as it moved. Needless to say, we left in a hurry, and I have never told of this experience to anyone.

• Taters-papa
    June 28, 2009 1:20 p.m.

I have 50+ years outdoor/wilderness experience. Until 10 years ago, I was a skeptic, of the Bigfoot issue. Now... I know what I saw was not ordinary, nor was it a "known" animal. My comment, is in reference to the unfortunate, inadvertent error; or possibly disinformation in the article. Though minor, it undermines any credibility the author may have had.
    "When the Deseret News first did an overall look into Utah bigfoot phenomena back in 1993, it found at least 36 total purported sightings/signs of the creature from 1977 on. In the 16 years since, there have been at least another 49 new alleged sightings (an average of more than one a month) reported in Utah." With 12 months per year, a 16 year period yields 192 months. With 49 sightings in 192 months, there was 1 sighting per 3.92 months. Sensationalizing the numbers destroys credibility by implying ignorance or intent to deceive. It does disservice to both believer and non-believer alike. I suppose 'editing' has gone the way of the Dodo. Maybe credibility, like chivalry, is an endangered trait. Maybe, I'm too picky, to expect accuracy in reporting. Oh well...

• Come On People!!
    June 29, 2009 9:05 a.m.

Will the next person who sees Bigfoot please go back to where you saw him and get "1 strand of hair".

That is all we need folks to test Bigfoot's DNA and put this to rest for good.

Many of the above stories have bigfoot shaking or rustling trees. Surely Bigfoot would have lost a hair or two. Come on!!!

• Re-Union :) :) :)
    June 29, 2009 11:30 a.m.

So you have a fiber and it tests "Unknown species, similar to known primates". Lets say that you have a bunch of fibers collected from different places, at differant times, by different people. Each matches the other, but none of them match any known species.

Lets for arguements sake say that the first section is all true, documented, and undisputable. Would it change anyones mind on whether there is an undiscovered bi-pedal primate that allows us to share it's habitat. I doubt it !!! Most will require a body before they are convinced, because until a body shows up they don't have to be afraid.

I'm sure that I'm not the only person that hears JAWS music when I'm in the ocean. Before the movie we all swam around comfortably, not worrying about being bait.

These guys and gals aren't hurting anyone or anything. They don't care whether you believe or not. Myth, legend, biblical, supernatural, non-existant, or REAL, take your pick- who cares.

I'm sure we all have a hobby that we don't want the relatives to know about.

• aintell
    June 30, 2009 11:19 p.m.

theres much more to this bigfoot enigma than even most researchers of the subject are privy to if u think the government knows nothing of it guess again. so be smug and make fun of folks , perhaps one day at dinner you'll be enjoying a healthy portion of crow.

• hunter
    March 6, 2010 8:57 a.m.

o this beast is real quite a few times ive seen it a family of 4 live in my area