Faith

2 major religious conventions coming to S.L.

Comments

• Welcome!!!
    June 5, 2009 7:46 p.m.

All I can say is WELCOME TO UTAH!!!!!!
    Enjoy your stay, spend a lot of money and go home.
    Ohhhhhh yeah!!! Be safe

• Sue Ellen
    June 5, 2009 9:13 p.m.

CESNUR is perhaps the leading apologist group for the "Church" of Scientology criminal organization. Scientology is only a "religion" because founder L. Ron Hubbard didn't want to pay taxes.

You know, there's a very good reason that Time Magazine described Scientology in a 1991 cover story as "the cult of greed and power" and a "ruthless global scam." There's a very good reason that Germany has declared this cult a "threat to democracy," just like neo-nazis and Islamic extremists. There's a very good reason that many European countries are trying to get rid of them.

I'm not talking about Scientology's "religious" beliefs -- I'm talking about their enormous history of illegal and immoral actions. Anyone who would give them "the benefit of the doubt" is missing the point. Maybe they do qualify as a religion by CESNUR's checklist. But it behooves anyone who engages in discourse with Scientology and its front groups to do a little research -- 20 minutes on the internet would be plenty -- and learn about Scientology's abundant criminal history. Try it. You'll be amazed and horrified at what you'll find. Thanks, and God bless you.

• Ronnie Bray
    June 6, 2009 8:35 a.m.

As Winnie said, "Jaw, jaw is better than war, war!"

Talk is good.

• Not the first
    June 6, 2009 1:10 p.m.

The Baptists had their Big convention here a few years back. And spent a few days trying to "save" the locals.

And Amway has held several conventions here, too.

• Thomas
    June 6, 2009 3:21 p.m.

I am surprised at the surprise surrounding Scientology choosing SLC for a conference .. which other city and poeple in the USA is more understanding of "cult" accusations and intolerance than SLC and the Moremons.. think about it, it's the only logical choice.

• Re: Thomas
    June 6, 2009 3:29 p.m.

Scientology didn't choose SLC for a conference. Please read the article.

• Anonymous
    June 7, 2009 9:30 a.m.

And you probably won't see any Mormons outside these conventions yelling that these people will be condemned for eternity.

• Anonymous
    June 7, 2009 11:41 a.m.

Funny, I get all of my information about mormons from the internet. I guess that would work the same for scientology.

• Crystal
    June 7, 2009 5:26 p.m.

to Suellen:
    This Religion bashing you engaged in is most ugly. What's your problem? Is this "different" than YOUR religion? What ever faith you espouse, this same treatment you gave the Scientologists could be returned against you ten-fold.
    Does it scientifically offend you? It isn't what you were taught in school?
    I think we NEED to make room in our minds for new ideas and give everyone a chance to speak. Everyone can teach us something.
    Are you a big fan of BIG PHARMA? Do you find scientologies claim of curing the mentally ill without drugs threatening? I say that IF they are able to do this then THEY DESERVE THE FLOOR.
    I believe Scientologists ought to be able to SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES, just like everyone else.
    You are just on a WITCH HUNT.

• Greg Hines
    June 8, 2009 3:43 p.m.

I am so sorry that I wont be at the UU assembly this year. I came to the UU assembly in SLC back in 1999, from Jacksonville FL, and had a great time!! What a beautiful city!. I remember this great used book store downtown, and an art fair near the hotel. One quirky memory was participating in a UU Pagan Summer Solstice celebration downtown, in an outdoors public park. While we were there drumming and dancing, there was a fancy patrons party nearby for some arts organization. The juxtaposition of activities, plus being within view of the temple was so amusing. If the economy had been just a little better I would be back this summer.