Utah

A+ teachers: Instructor helps kids love science

Comments

• RosaMaria
    May 3, 2009 1:37 a.m.

Congratulations Mrs. Shyamala Chivukula we need more teachers like you.

• Anonymous
    May 3, 2009 8:35 a.m.

Try getting all this and more at home school!Most teachers in different subjects do this(if not they should). It beats the pants off of sitting at the kitchen table looking through books. Oh, the teacher is a mom at the head of a kitchen table with no education degree. And little bro's and sisters running around screaming.

• Amy Hallett
    May 3, 2009 8:53 a.m.

My daughter had Mrs. Chivukula last year and she is amazing! She is a wonderful teacher and makes science fun for her students. Congratulations Mrs. Chivukula!

• Sheila Ostler
    May 3, 2009 9:14 a.m.

Thank you for dedicating your life to teaching. Four of our children have been in your class and we feel privileged to have such a teacher. We are so thrilled for you to receive this honor!

• Phoebe
    May 3, 2009 1:22 p.m.

What a wonderful woman--thanks so much for this story!

• lwtaylor
    May 3, 2009 2:29 p.m.

What a neat teacher...how fun to learn all these things and about another culture as well. Thank you, for sharing your wonderful talents with our children...their lives will be blessed forever by your dedication. What a refreshing story! Thanks!

• donna
    May 3, 2009 2:48 p.m.

how do you do the bubble on fire experiment

• Andrew
    May 3, 2009 3:37 p.m.

I am one of her students and she is just a great teacher. My favorite expirement was the bubble on fire.

• Joe
    May 3, 2009 3:39 p.m.

to do the bubble on fire expirement she filled bubbles with propane and we lit them on fire with a candle taped to a meter sitck. She is a great teacher. I am one of her students.

• Inquiring Minds
    May 3, 2009 4:58 p.m.

Could it be she is teaching the ancient India custom of laying (walking) on nails?

• Joe
    May 3, 2009 7:16 p.m.

NO she is not

• Fellow 7th grade teacher
    May 3, 2009 7:19 p.m.

That is awesome. I also teach science and your class sounds very fun. It is nice to be able to go outside of the curriculum and add a few attention getters like you have done.

My only wish is that all of Utah would switch to have 7th grade science as a year long class instead of only one semester.

We complain our kids are behind in science then we only have them take science for one semester?

It sounds like she teaches in one of the districts that actually let her teach it for a full year instead of only half a year. In the half year schedule there is no way to add these extra things because you have to rush through everything because the dreaded end of year test is coming. How nice would it be to actually have time to explore a few options and branch out a little bit when the kids show high interest in one particular topic.

Sorry for the rant.

Mrs. Chivukula, thanks for being a great asset to our profession and getting those kids excited! We definitely need more teachers like you!

• Anonomys
    May 3, 2009 8:49 p.m.

Cool! I wish I had a teacher like that!

• Washingtonian
    May 3, 2009 8:59 p.m.

Science is cool. Watch out for the Swine Flu over there.

• Rebecca Reschke
    May 3, 2009 10:08 p.m.

Mrs. Chivukula has taught several of our children science over the years. We appreciate all her hard work! I am so happy she has received this award, she is a great teacher! Thank you Mrs. Chivukula!

• IT geek from San Jose
    May 3, 2009 10:20 p.m.

Way to go, Mrs. C !!!!!!

This is so cool...You are a role model and deserve the award. Please pose these "tricky" questions on the web for the entire science world to enjoy.

Thanks to "deseretnews" for sharing this story.

• Paul Fotheringham
    May 3, 2009 10:53 p.m.

Thanks Mrs. C. When my son was in your class 2 years ago, you were also teaching me 7th grade science (lots of homework as I recall). I have another son coming your way next school year. Looking forward to it.

• Anonymous
    May 9, 2009 6:35 p.m.

Awesome Mrs. Chivuk! You ttly deserve this award you make science so much fun and actually interesting to learn about! Thanks for everything:)

• Anonymous
    June 1, 2009 11:17 a.m.

Mrs. C,
    I was in real estate license class with your son the weekend he came out to your celebration. I really enjoyed the article and appreciate you're being a real life Ms. Frizzle! Congratulations!
    Sheryl McCloskey, Newtown, Pennsylvania

• Rachel
    June 23, 2009 10:04 a.m.

Heyy Mrs. C!

I was in your class this year, in the honors class! You were the BEST science teacher that I've ever had! I loved the gas bubbles and the fire dancing thing. You're amazing! I can't wait to see you next year, maybe as a new journalist I can do an interview wiht you ;)