Doug Robinson: Time for Boozer to hire new image consultant

Comments

• arm chair asst. coach
    April 29, 2009 12:58 a.m.

Brad?
    Did you watch the same playoffs I did(and most other fans)?
    You think Booze had a "Karl Malone type" showing?
    Karl played defense. Karl didn't wave at Lakers as they went in for dunks.Karl layed them out.No easy ones.
    Whiskey was more akin to Hornacek. score 20 give up 40 a game.
    Boozer should be returning 30% percent of his pay to the Jazz.
    Whiskey is like a government worker, calling in sick all the time but still getting paid with taxpayers hard earned dollars( except you Brad).
    Drop the dead beat and spend money on Millsap and others who want to play TEAM ball.

• Paul by a landslide
    April 29, 2009 3:06 a.m.

Boozer or Milsap? Milsap or Boozer? One who works, fights, scraps, hustles, and one who spends most of his time convalescing, talking, getting burned on defense, or daydreaming about "a raise".

Based on their effort and performance, of the two candidates in question, only one is deserving of a raise. He is the same one I'd give the starting job to.

If Boozer opts out, do a sign and trade for a big man and a serviceable backup to Milsap.

If Boozer doesn't opt out, trade him for a big man and a serviceable backup to Milsap.

• I can't believe this!
    April 29, 2009 6:37 a.m.

When you need a player the most....Boozer goes AWOL. Is this the kind of player we want? This story is crazy....sure let's pay him another gazillion dollars and see if we can get another half season or less out of him with a so-so playoff run....Sounds like a great idea!

• The judge and jury say. . .
    April 29, 2009 7:30 a.m.

. . . guilty as charged -- Boozer is a fraud. This is a guy who talks big, but will never be a champion in the NBA. He's injury prone -- a proven fact. He's in it for the money -- a proven fact. When called upon to perform melts down -- a proven fact. The judge and jury throw the book at him -- he goes somewhere, anywhere but Utah. Best thing that could happen is Detroit offers him more, the Jazz don't match and he's gone in the opt out year of his contract. Nightmare waiting to happen: The phone doesn't ring with a better offer and Utah is stuck with this loser.

• woooohoooo
    April 29, 2009 7:31 a.m.

Boozer needs a realty check. His stock went down, Milsaps went up. Go ahead and opt out and when you show the Jazz your pay "decrease" maybe then and only then will you "decide" to come back, albeit for less money.

You agent, aka Lawyer, is a faceless jerk.

• I love Paully but ...
    April 29, 2009 7:34 a.m.

He is too undersized. He has had a great time as a back-up, but I don't see him beeing a legitimate starting PF on a team whose offense focuses on the PF. Whenever teams actually focus on him in their defensive strategy, Paul has a rough time.

At the same time, Boozer doesn't have enough passion for the game. I want to keep Millsap, but not as a starter.

• Who would you trust more?
    April 29, 2009 7:50 a.m.

A guy named Carlos?

or

A guy named Karl?

• RE: I love Pauly but...
    April 29, 2009 7:56 a.m.

What about the stellar performances Milsap put forth when he was starting? In my opinion, that is when the Jazz were playing their best basketball of the season. His heart and desire make up for his size. He is a franchise player, and fits perfectly into the organization as a person and a player.

Go away Boozer, far, far, away!!

• Anonymous
    April 29, 2009 8:08 a.m.

Boozer gone to free agency. Okur plays the four with SAP and sign shack to a one year deal= Championship

• IDJazz12
    April 29, 2009 8:15 a.m.

If you read between the lines Boozer holds the cards whether Milsap resigns or not. If Boozer does not opt out as well as Memo and Korver then they are right at the luxury tax. With Milsap demanding from his play around four to six Million a year do you think the Jazz will pay a luxury tax of four to six Mill to keep Milsap? The new installed son/owner has said like his father they will not pay any luxury tax so this could get real interesting. Utah might have to pull a Cleveland and behind closed doors tell Milsap they will sign him for one year at a low price until all the money comes off the books next year and then they will reward him. Should be interesting to say the least.

• Lorz B.
    April 29, 2009 8:49 a.m.

I find it completely incomprehensible that you can be paid millions of dollars to play a game and not be motivated to win. I hate to lose for free! You can get offense almost anywhere, it's time to lose this Albatross. Boozer just brings this team down.

• LOOZER
    April 29, 2009 8:57 a.m.

If that freaking Loozer is back on the Jazz next year I am cashing out my season tickets. I will not pay to see that selfish mercinary one more game. I am serious - if Boozer the freaking Loozer is back I am done attending games.

• We need a Big Guy!
    April 29, 2009 9:17 a.m.

Even if Boozer leaves we still need another BIG Man!
    Millsap is a great player, but he cannot take the place of a big man! The Jazz just do not match up with the best teams without a front line big guy!

Milsap should stay with the Jazz hopefully, but he can't take Boozer's place consistently !

• Dapper2k
    April 29, 2009 9:22 a.m.

As much as I love Milsap, and have since his rookie year, unless you all are happy with heart and hustle from your undersized PF and no chance at championship and fighting just to get the 8th seed in the playoffs than Milsap is your guy.

He's a great 3rd big coming off the bench but he is not ready to carry the load as a starting low post presense. I wouldn't build my team around him any more than David Lee. I would love to keep him coming off the bench and adding energy and hustle. And at mid level money I think he is a keeper.

Also did anyone else notice how Milsap wore down playing starter minutes. We need Boozer or another low post presense to go along with Milsap. Be careful what you wish for!

• Deth
    April 29, 2009 9:24 a.m.

Charles Barkley had the best comment about this after game 5. He said he wouldn't pay that kind of money to any player unless they can put the team over the top and get a championship. Boozer has not proved that. I don't hate him and I would love to keep him for a cheaper price - but that is not going to happen. My guess is that he will opt out and sign with Detroit. This will save the Jazz some money for an actual difference maker.

My opinion changed about Memo Okur - he needs to be the one that we really can't lose - besides Millsap.

• Gerald
    April 29, 2009 9:28 a.m.

I agree. I have seen this Jazz team have their chance at it and I do not want to see money wasted on another long term deal for Boozer. He was injured for half of his contract, seems to lack integrity, and most importantly he cannot get the Jazz to a championship level. Time for change. I will also cancel my season tickets if Boozer is back on the team next year.

• Booz h8tr
    April 29, 2009 9:30 a.m.

I hate Carlos Boozer. Yes, I know hate is a strong word, but I really do hate that man. Don't let the door injure those delicate hamstrings on the way out. WE DON'T WANT YOU IN UTAH!

• Skerballed
    April 29, 2009 9:31 a.m.

IF you remember when the Jazz signed Boozer, it was very controversial because he'd promised the Cavs that, if they released him from his last year, he'd resigned with them long term. He obviously lied and didn't follow through.

My point is that Boozer is a deceitful, expedient, self-serving person. He doesn't care about his team, teammates, the city, or anyone except himself. Why pay a guy like that to be on your team? I find that kind of behavior to be despicable.

• Memo and Millsap
    April 29, 2009 9:52 a.m.

Lose Boozer, start Memo at PF, Millsap at SM, continue to bring AK off the bench and either get a big man with the money you get by divesting Boozer, or give Koufous a chance. I thought he showed promise in the middle at the start of the year and has touch around the basket if need be, in addition to being another floor spreader.

• ABC
    April 29, 2009 10:25 a.m.

Robinson would make a great PR man for Boozer. Both are alike: condescending, aloof, self-serving, money hungry elitists. All Robinson needs is the diamond-studded ear rings and the shaved top. WHO-RAW, grunt grunt. You go Dougy.

• Boozerite
    April 29, 2009 10:27 a.m.

Carlos Boozer can help the Jazz win a championship. As much as I love Paul Milsap, he is not capable of making that happen. To me, the real trick to show whether Carlos wants a championship team, is for him to play for less money. If he won't do that, we need to find someone else. Sap is just not big enough and talented enough. I agree with the comment about having "Shaq" come here. We could let Boozer go then and let Memo shoot 3's all day. Don't go wishing for big changes this summer. We are only a player away from having a very formiddible team.

• My Thoughts
    April 29, 2009 11:01 a.m.

Boozer is done and AK is a head case that deserves a significant pay cut I am hoping someone is stupid enough to trade for him.

Millsap is to small he is not a starting NBA PF; maybe start him at the 3.

Salon needs to retire, after 21 years of ZERO championships its time to move on.

• Desert Dawg
    April 29, 2009 11:43 a.m.

I read a comment that Boozer can win the Jazz a championship, just like Malone did! WAIT! That didn't happen! And if Stockton and Malone couldn't do it with their passion for the game I do not see Boozer being a part of that equation (with D-Will) with his double-speak and grave disinterest for the game. He'a about the green and not the gold (see Cavaliers, Cleveland).

• Cavs Fan 999
    April 29, 2009 12:30 p.m.

When Loozer lied his way out of Cleveland, he said he wanted to be "the man" - don't hear that reference very often anymore :) Until Loozer leaves, your franchise is cursed. The Jazz fans deserve better.

• How to rebuild. . . NOT!!
    April 29, 2009 12:46 p.m.

Sign AK-47 to a max contract, make him the "future" of the Jazz. Then when that doesn't work out, bring in "Boozer" and make him the "cornerstone" of the franchise. When that doesn't work out (and by now it should be obvious the Millers have two strikes against them), make sure you save your best swing at the next fast ball for the home run that will put the franchise back on the map. Who will it be? Don't know yet, but stay tuned because we all know what the Millers don't know yet -- it isn't AK-47, and it isn't Boozer.

• GET OUT NOW!!!
    April 29, 2009 12:53 p.m.

Carlos Boozer, if you are reading this GET OUT OF OUR STATE! We do not like you, we do not trust you, and we do not want you here any longer. You are not welcome on the Jazz anymore. Count me as another who will not attend any more games that Carlos Loozer plays in a Jazz uniform.

• Real fans
    April 29, 2009 1:38 p.m.

You people that are saying you won't buy another ticket until Boozer leaves probably don't even buy tickets now. Who cares if you don't buy a ticket? Someone else is always there to replace you. We would rather have true Jazz fans at the game anyway.
    Go be Laker fans. It is people like you who don't have a clue about the NBA and this team.

• Dave
    April 29, 2009 1:43 p.m.

Look, I don't like Boozer anymore than anyone else, and I yell at him constantly during games. BUT, he demands a double team and can knock down jumpers from the post position much better than Milsap can. The result is the opening up of cutting lanes for Brewer, AK, etc. which we all know is paramount for the Jazz to win. The flip-side is that Paul will play defense every possesion. What we need is a center post player who could demand a double team, or can stretch the defense (Okur), which will compensate for what Boozer does on offense, thusly making Milsap an effective starter.
    The likely scenario is Boozer doesn't opt-out, the Jazz trade him, sign Milsap, Okur gets an extension, and the Jazz can at least have a team who will put forth effort. Okur, when healthy, is not as bad a defender as we think. He played Yao very effectively in the playoffs two years in a row and rebounds pretty well.

• Listen to them talk.
    April 29, 2009 1:58 p.m.

I watched some interviews of Boozer, Milsap and Deron. Boozer is gone already. His comments were so weak when asked if he wanted to be here next year. Deron is basically saying I am staying out of the discussion, so that means he would mind seeing Boozer gone, and Milsap is saying I love the Jazz organization and I want to be here. I hope they keep him. I agree with How to Rebuild NOT. They have two stikes since is trying to find a new team identity in the post Stockon Malone era. Deron has worked out great, they haven't found that other piece yet. I would like to see them keep Milsap, but just moving him into the starting lineup is not going to make the Jazz better. In my opinion, they should go after defensive beast of a center, then rotate Okur and with the new center and Milsap. Give Fez and Koufous some minutes. I don't think they need to go after another power forward, just let Milsap and Okur hold it down. Okur is a better shooter than Boozer, they can extend the range of the pick and roll. Get some defense.

• Jazz Fan
    April 29, 2009 2:08 p.m.

The only consultant boozer-looser needs is a relocation specialist. Get out of town you lazy bum.

• "A player away"
    April 29, 2009 2:40 p.m.

That phrase will be the epitaph on the Jazz headstone.

• Deth Rok
    April 29, 2009 3:07 p.m.

Boozer is a robot. Every interview is the same. "We'll throw the ball up and see what happens." "We just gotta execute our offense." Man I remember Malone, Stockton, B Russ saying what was on their mind. It was not trash talk (Malone and Russ did some in their interviews) but at least they showed fire. I do not expect Boozer to be Malone but the guy is not very likeable. Get a friggin' personality Boozer. That is my biggest problem with him.

• Size
    April 29, 2009 3:13 p.m.

Boozer is listed at 6-9 and Millsap 6-8. People keep saying how small of a power forward Millsap is, but Boozer isn't any bigger. I'm with everyone who says we keep the combo of Millsap and Memo as the power forwards and get a defensive minded center.

• ?
    April 29, 2009 3:13 p.m.

Why do people always put Karl Malone on a pedastal?
    I quit watching the Jazz when Karl "threw" the playoffs way back when. Yes he was good, but he didn't come through in playoffs all the time either! As for Boozer, I just wish he cared. Bring in some guys with passion.

• All of You
    April 29, 2009 3:21 p.m.

people would complain even if we won the championship. You always have something to complain about. Such Whiners. I'm glad I'm not married to any of you. I would be miserable non-stop. You guys are rediculous and you all seem to know how to fix everything. Whine, whine, whine, blah, blah, blah. I'm more sick of listening to you than worrying about the 3 million mistakes you think the Jazz have made. Pathetic. I guess that's why they have boards like this. So you can voice your worthless opinions about things you know absolutely nothing about.

• Anonymous
    April 29, 2009 3:31 p.m.

we'll loose with boozer or milsap...neither are championship calibre players...milsap is a very very nice 6th man...thats about it....he to often times shows up with a 4 point performance..so don't kid yourself...

• wake up
    April 29, 2009 4:53 p.m.

You ask him to be more honest then go crazy when he is honest, what do you expect? Also, he looks a lot happier on the court than most Jazz players do. At least booze yells and stuff, most of the other players have had their personality stomped out by drill sergeant Sloan. Would you be smiling playing for Sloan?

Lastly, as bad a human being as Booze may be, he is more of a man than Karl Malone will ever be. Malone, the guy who won't even acknowledge his own son. Look what booze did for his kid. And everyone loves good ol' mailman.

• Fesenko is the answer . . .
    April 29, 2009 6:51 p.m.

No need to spend money on a "beast of a center" -- Fes already is one.

Hire Ostertag and/or Eaton to spend the summer with Fes, teaching him how to block shots, move his feet, and intimidate. Result: next season, Fes = 15/15, 3 blocked shots/game, bodies of many lane-drivers writhing on floor in pain after he has crushed them . . . .

• anthony
    April 29, 2009 6:55 p.m.

all this talk about boozer needs to take a pay cut is just funny. hes goin to get paid be it in utah os elsewhere. hes a 20 and 10 guy and teams have to double up on him. if you want a 20 and 10 guy you are going to have to pay top dollar for him. boozer is a good player and if he didnt have the problems this year, the jazz would have been sitting nice up on top of the west.

with all that said.... i LOVE sap, and would hate to see him go. hes a great back up player, best in the nba i think. but he can not carry a team on his back. we all seen this as he got beat up as the season whent on, and teams just dont respect him enough to double down on him.

i think we can keep both of them and pay the tax a few years

matt only has a year left then his numbers will be off the books. then you have collins,knight,almond all coming off the books too. thay can make it work

• Henry Drummond
    April 29, 2009 7:45 p.m.

I definitely get an inkling of what you're saying here Doug.

When D-Will steps to the free-throw line you can hear the crowd chant - MVP - MVP - MVP

When Boozer steps to the free-throw line you can hear the crowd chant _ OPT OUT - GET LOST

Maybe all that talk about getting a raise when you aren't earning the money you're being paid had something to do with it.

• BigJazzfan
    April 29, 2009 9:03 p.m.

Boozer has bad series against the lakere last year the jazz lose in 6,

Boozer has big numbers against the laker this year, the jazz lose in 5,

For a 12 million dollar man what difference is he making?

• re: All of You
    April 30, 2009 12:24 p.m.

For a guy who hates whining and complaining so much, you sure do a lot of it.

• Re: Fesenko
    April 30, 2009 12:52 p.m.

Hire Ostertag or Eaton to teach him to move his feet? I'm not thoroughly convinced they ever did. And the other comment about intimidation? LOL!!! Man, I must have been drinking wayyy too much during those years because I'm not sure I ever caught them intimidating anyone. Eaton wasn't an intimidator... he was a tall freak who you couldn't shoot over. You can't teach height.

• IGNORANCE
    April 30, 2009 1:03 p.m.

Alot of you know absolutely know nothing about what you are posting.

"If Boozer opts out then do a sign and trade".

Duh if he opts out then we have no contract with him to do a trade--he is an unrestricted free agent.

"..Detroit offers him more, the Jazz don't match and he's gone in the opt out year of his contract."

We can't really "match" and keep Bozo. He is not a restricted free agent like Millsap where we can "match". Boozer wants out of here and if all we did was match he would probably choose a different address.

If the Jazz want him back then they likely will negotiate an extension prior to him opting out. The market is not going to be loaded with options for Boozer. There is maybe a team or two who has big money available--Detroit may not be able to spend the money given the economy and their team revenue outlook. How many fans in Detroit will be buying season tickets after they just got swept by the Cavs?

Boozer should play here for less than he is making--payback for being injured and not playing.

• Rory Thornley
    April 30, 2009 2:37 p.m.

Maybe the jazz problem is the coach. He has had his chance. Any other coach would have been packing. Yes he has done well. It is time for another approach.
    Maybe the john deere needs to be warmed up in Iowa or Nebraska. Here is to a new coach.

• Team Obama Needs This Fraud!
    April 30, 2009 5:15 p.m.

Jazz fans need a real basketball player!

• rvalens2
    April 30, 2009 6:30 p.m.

Boozer's done in Utah.

His weak-kneed response to staying is all I needed to hear. The guy desperately wants to leave but will only do it if some other team is dumb enough to sign him for more money.

To the Jazz Brass:

If he does opt to stay ... trade the doofus away. If he opts out at least you have his salary available and can resign Millsap.

In my opinion, the Jazz play better without him.

*****

The Jazz need to hire someone to work with Fesenko and Koufos this summer. Koufos already plays well and Fesenko just needs a better understanding of the game and his foot movement.

One idea? Send them both to a month long "Boot Camp" with Malone. Imagine Koufos adding 10 pounds of muscle and Fesenko defending and slapping the ball away like Malone used to.

We don't need to blow up the team to get better. Dump Boozer, Collins, Knight and add another power forward/center.

One last comment: Let Sloan retire and hire Hornacek as the Jazz coach. My prediction, the team wins 50 games next season with this lineup.

• GO BOOZER !!!!!!
    May 1, 2009 6:42 a.m.

I hope Boozer will leave the jazz team not because he sucks but just to show you this team is certainly not better.
    Hey guys, bozzer is a ALL Star and he is on of a short list 20-10 players and concentrate double team defense.
    He has often problem with its health, that's right but stoudemire or McGraddy have also.
    You are mentionning Malone but Malone has never won anything !!!!
    And please I know very well Okur because I saw him played in Europe He sucks he only know how to shoot 3pts. And what about Millsap ok he get enrgy but it is not enough to be a champion.
    I hope Boozer will leave this team to played with a team where there is true fan not fans who think they know everything better.

• Thoughts
    May 2, 2009 8:47 a.m.

Boozer is very talented when he is motivated to play. However, his defense is weak and he is injury prone. He is not worth more to the Jazz than he is now getting.

He may be worth more to another team but a sign and trade is dicey. If you sign Boozer for to much you are stuck with him and no role players. A Jazz tendency.

The Jazz learned to play without Boozer. If they had gotten a good back up C/PF they would have won their division. Instead they ran Okur and Millsap into the ground and needlessly lost 5 games.

If Boozer had been out the last 10 games the Jazz would have had a higher seed and still be playing.

Boozer makes the team to one dimensional. The Jazz system works better when plays are not forced thru the PF. The Jazz are better off with an average PF who plays defense (with Millsap as back up) than with Boozer in the line up.

The Jazz are more versatile and harder to stop without Boozer. However, there has to be a strong C/PF to replace Boozer.

• Anonymous
    May 5, 2009 12:45 a.m.

let go of Boozer, period..as a Jazz fan it would be disappointing to see him again in Jazz roster,it would also be better not only for the Jazz but for himself too,.I think he will be better fitted to teams with dominating centers like Yao Ming,Tim Duncan..Millsap is I think ready to replace him, need to beef up some muscles I think and Millsap will dominate the game!