Utah Jazz found pulse too late, surge fell short

Comments

• rvalens2
    April 28, 2009 1:18 a.m.

The players in the game during the fourth quarter were the ones who should have been playing the most minutes in this series all along.

I know Okur has been injured but I would have played Koufos in his place.

Even Fesenko would have given the Jazz a big body to bang with LA's bigs. So what if he fouls out, that would have been preferable to the non-defense Boozer played.

Here's hoping the Jazz fix the problems in the off season.

• uhhhhhh........
    April 28, 2009 2:11 a.m.

where was price this whole season?

Com' on Coach! Price got game. I think it's too bad that he only played 2 minutes a game (and that's being generous with my estimation) because he's a much better offensive player than Knight and his defense makes guys work like mad. I thought Sloan liked hustle players.

When I see Knight I think, slow, deliberate, boring, no jump shot (Brewer may not get attention for his shooting but Knight's shot is atrocious.) Am I the only one wondering why Price wasn't getting more minutes all year?

• PRICE
    April 28, 2009 2:13 a.m.

I hope you are back next year... without knight and without sloan.

Loved the effort and wish the rest of the guys could play like that all the time.

• Nase
    April 28, 2009 4:59 a.m.

I think Ronnie Price showed what most of us knew all along: he should have been the backup point guard instead of Knight! I like Sloan, but I don't understand why he is so intent on a prescribed formula for inserting people into the game. I would have gone with Price long before the last game. All the evidence one needed was to look at his performance early in the year when he started in the place of injured D-Will. Oh well, "gone fishing" early this year. Now I can watch the playoffs in peace and not worry about who wins. Maybe next year??????????

• Id Jazz Fan
    April 28, 2009 7:06 a.m.

RONNIE FREAKING PRICE!!!!!! What a total Stud!!!!
    I was thrilled to see him get some playing time finally and then for him to almost pull off a comeback for ages was awesome!! Kudos to you man for being the ultimate hustler we needed in game 5. We needed you ina ll the games and I'm sure Jerry now sees that!!! See ya Brevin... it has been real...a real lot of nothing but turnovers, poor clock management,stupid shot selection and lack of hustle!!! Ronnie is the perfect back up and spark off the bench!!!
    And can I say in closing... Javy...even Reggie Miller agrees... Javy swallows his whistle when the Jazz play anybody...Jerry I thought you were going to take off his head!! Wish I could have been there to help.

• Hanging Chad
    April 28, 2009 7:28 a.m.

Sloan: "Oops. Maybe I should have tried Price earlier, such as November through May."

So what if he's 6'1". That cat can out hustle, out jump, and out play anyone on the team. You can't tell me you couldn't find 10 min per game for this guy. Put him in the 2nd quarter with the second unit and the Jazz wouldn't have gone down 10 pts in 5 mins. Oh, well.

• JAKE
    April 28, 2009 7:33 a.m.

Ronnie price did a heck of a job a year ago it was hard to believe they forgot the job he did running with Williams at 2 guard . Knight should not have got his time just because years in the league.
    GOOD JOB RONNIE

• zoo mom
    April 28, 2009 7:37 a.m.

I've preferred to take the positive spin with the Jazz all year, despite their problems. But I must agree with many others who have posted this in the past--we need a new attitude in coaching. Koufos and Price have played with real determination instead of lackluster performances as we've seen from others. Let's hope big changes over the summer will reap greater rewards next season.

• Mike
    April 28, 2009 7:44 a.m.

Does anyone else see the irony in Boozer saying that if "others" had played with the energy and given the defensive effort shown by Price, the outcome might have been different? Hello, Carlos, can you hear yourself?

• IDJazz12
    April 28, 2009 8:15 a.m.

The article should have been named "Sloan has no pulse on own team"

I have not been on the bus that Sloan has to go but as of late I am driving that bus.
    Prices play shows how much better he is than Knight. Something many have complained about on these boards for months.
    We all knew that the Jazz were not going to win the series so why not dress Koufos and Fes and get them some playing time to so they have a feel of the playoff intensity and the experience of it so next time the Jazz hit the playoffs they know more of what to expect and do.

If this is somewhat of a rebuilding year with all the free agents and those who can opt out. WHY, WHY, WHY then let Sloan coach a year then dump it to someone else and they have to start learning from a new coach. Would it not make sense to let the new coach mold a newer team into what he wants and not have those players have to break Sloans predictable habits.

• President
    April 28, 2009 8:20 a.m.

I'm the acting president of the Ronnie Price fan club. All of your comments are appreciated. Now, let's do what we can to make sure that the Jazz bring Ronnie back next year, as D-Will's backup. Ronnie's got game!

• Jazz Cop
    April 28, 2009 8:23 a.m.

It's too bad. That's all I can say. Next year. How did price get displaced so easily by knight, what was the reason for that?
    The question next year, will the Jazz really be comitted to defense, williams is a stud, maybe it's time to give the youngsters a try, it'll be interesting to see what happens this offseason.

• Booooozer
    April 28, 2009 8:32 a.m.

Was the cancer on this team all year. Opt out now.

• Invisible Hand
    April 28, 2009 8:43 a.m.

Why do you people think the bench guys were able to play so great? Might it have had something to do with the fact that the Lakers were in cruise control? If the bench guys started and played that hard at the beginning of the game it would make no difference because the more talented Lakers would match their intensity and blow them out. There's a reason they're bench guys.

• An Asian Perspective
    April 28, 2009 9:14 a.m.

It is inexcusable Sloan waited until 4Q of the elimination game on the road with 22pts deficit to finally let Price play longer than 2 minutes.

It is inexcusable Sloan started 3Q with Knight in lineup, allowing 8-0 run.

During regular season, I wondered if Price had somehow upset Sloan like Arroyo or Giricek did. I even wondered O'Connor told Sloan not to play Price so Jazz can sign him cheap for a longer term this off-season. Looks like Sloan simply didn't see what Price can bring on the table, unlike many Jazz fans.

A few years ago, Jazz had an undersized but quick and athletic PG just like Price who always gave energy to the team and sometimes orchestrated a comeback like yesterday's. Jazz let him go when they could have kept him and now he's the starting PG for the team with best record during regular season.

Price may well be second Mo Williams. Unlike Mo, Price is an unrestricted FA. As much as I want Price to stay, I wonder if he wants to. Why does he wanna risk spending another season in Sloan's doghouse for no reason?

• The Truth
    April 28, 2009 9:29 a.m.

Here are my post season grades:

Sloan D (as in no Defense.)
    D-Will B + But I was expecting more.
    Booz B- at least he showed up for a couple games.
    AK C+ he seemed to get better every game.
    Harp C+ had one good game
    Brewer C- decent defense vs Kobe. No offense.
    Korver D no D, hasn't shot well in the playoffs.
    Milsap B- bad matchups but he played hard.
    Price A- showed Jerry what everybody already knew.
    Collins C had some good minutes
    CJ F regular season minutes didn't do much.
    Memo I injured.

• The Truth
    April 28, 2009 9:53 a.m.

knight F and it would be hands down an F. Here's my take on Jerry's blunders vs the Lakers.

1 Jerry starts Korver after having him come off the bench the whole season. 2 games in after the Lakers are shooting what 60,70 percent in the first quarters he suddenly changes course for defense.

2. The Jazz were never going to outscore the Lakers especially with Memo out which makes you question the lack of Jazz defense to start the series.

3. AK, your best defensive presence, is getting 20 minutes or less the first two games.

4. Game 3, suddenly AK is back in the starting line-up. The 17 million dollar man is now getting starter type minutes.

5. Jerry's insistence on using Knight as the back up point guard. Deron gets no rest in this series.

6. Game 5, Ak actually gets extended minutes vs Kobe.

7. 2nd quarter of last nights game. Odum and Kobe are in the game playing against our subs. (reminds me of MJ and Pip playing our subs at the beginning of the 4th quarter in the finals.) Jazz go down a quick 10 pts. Game set Match.

• The Wounded Mosquito
    April 28, 2009 10:10 a.m.

I think it's appropriate that Ronnie and Millsap were key in that late run. They were the ones who kept the ship going when Deron and Boozer were down. Nice job, guys. Hope they're back next year.

• C Cheeze
    April 28, 2009 11:52 a.m.

It's time for Sloan to leave!!!!
    Letting talent like Price go to waste simply makes no sense. Guess we'll see Price, Almond and maybe a few others on the opposing end of the court next season. Way to go Sloan another season wasted....

• re: The Truth
    April 28, 2009 12:03 p.m.

truth... huh? While I agree with some of your points, you should check your facts prior to posting. Korver was playing injured for a large part of the season. His shot was dead on early in the season before the injury.... and came back later in the season. He shot over 46% from 3 point land in the playoffs. Also, your judgement of his defense indicates that either you weren't paying attention or that you are simply repeating what things you've heard. He may not be the fastest guy out there, but he's been solid on D and has proven himself to be one of the few players who plays hard, every night. He's a hellofalot more willing to dive for balls and get banged up than that powder puff you have given, what was it... a B grade (Boozer). What a joke..

• Marlin Loosle
    April 28, 2009 12:03 p.m.

I've felt all year long that Price should be the back up to D-Will. His young, fresh legs sat on the bench game after game and should have been playing when D-Will needed a break. It was like a secret that no one in the Jazz organizaation mentioned why Price was not playing. What was he being saved for?

• LOL
    April 28, 2009 12:10 p.m.

Truth...you think the Lakers shot such a high percentage because of Korver? LOL The fact that Sloan's defensive strategy for guarding the 3 pt line is to leave the shooters open, help down low, then when the ball is kicked out to one of those WIDE OPEN shooters, attempt to close out while hoping like mad they miss the shot has nothing to do with it? We've seen it ALL SEASON LONG. Sloan would rather give up the 3 (which he doesn't seem to realize, has become a much bigger factor than it used to be), than give up pts in the paint.

• 4th quarter
    April 28, 2009 12:35 p.m.

Let's get realistic. The Lakers have let the Jazz back into every game because they quit playing defense. Price had excellent energy. But if he had been playing at the start of the game he would have not been nearly as successful. Milsap had a big quarter but what about when he came in earlier. He was fed a steady stream of blocks. I'll show my age here and scream LUNCH!! Williams had no effect on this game and Boozer was a non factor. Sloan has a great offensive system when the players move and slash the middle. BUT his management of the game sucks.

• The Truth
    April 28, 2009 1:06 p.m.

@ LOL and @ re: The Truth:

While I agree with Sloan's 3pt philosophy killed the Jazz vs LA and that Korver does make some hustle plays.

Here is my take on Korver, he got killed by Ariza, I mean it was brutal those first two games he started! Once Sloan put AK on Ariza in Game 3, he was a non-factor. Brewer also did a better job in Game 5 of guarding Ariza. (And I go by what I see not read.)

I looked at his regular season stats vs his playoffs. He shot .39 percent from 2 in the playoffs down from .43 percent in the regular season. His three point shot was better .46 to .38 in the regular season. (It's a good thing he hit his last couple of 3's, a little late in the series for me.) His rebounding was slightly down.

I guess I just expected more from Korver. He never got really hot. I wouldn't give him more than a D+ or C-. I gave sloan a D for his defensive philosophy.

Booz was better in the playoffs than the regular season. 20/13 isn't a B?? tough crowd.

• PRICE ROCKS
    April 28, 2009 1:46 p.m.

Knight comes in for a few minutes at the first of the 2nd period and what happens? The team goes from being even with the Jazz to being down 14. What is wrong with Jerry? It is difficult for a team to play down 14. Price comes in and he forces the Lakers to respect his offense and plays great defense. He didn't play long enough to distribute much. So Jerry, learn...I hope your not to experienced to learn.

• STEVE-O
    April 28, 2009 2:14 p.m.

Good job Ronnie Price. I don't think the Jazz should have called that timeout with 3:30 to go and only down 6. They had the confidence and momentum. Williams should have stayed on the bench!

The Jazz did miss some layups but Price couldn't get a call! He was drawing contact and nothing was called. It was pretty sketchy to me!!!

Decent season considering all the problems. Just excited to see what the team will do with all these big decisions?

• h
    April 28, 2009 2:15 p.m.

Have we all forget about the Lakers and Utah playoff last year 2008, when ronnie price came out off the bench to doing his thing before. This is not the first time this has happen... right? This man is only 6-2ft, but have a heart 9ft. No hate against Knight, but Price is a better player Jerry. Dont you wish he had gotten more minutes during regular season? you wouldnt be going home today...think about back up guard next year or you will have to face him as your opponent.

• magnus
    April 28, 2009 2:52 p.m.

there is alot of talk about Korver and Knight and Price and Collins and Fes and Kufos...guys who really aren't difference makers. No changes involving any of those guys playing more minutes, or one of them playing more minutes instead of another, would make a singe game difference in this series.

Bottom line, the difference makers for the Jazz, Williams, Boozer, Okur, AK, Millsap, Brewer, the guys who play the most minutes, the guys who actually have the ability to compete on the same level as the starters of other teams...they didn't step up, and they didn't make a difference.

All of the negativity and bashing have given the me juice for a big time rant...I'm just not sure where it belongs....

• The Price is Right
    April 28, 2009 3:11 p.m.

Last year we had to put up with Hart until Price finally passed him. Then this year they were quick to give away his back up position to Knight who struggled all year long. Wasn't there like a month where he didn't even make a basket. Well said jazz brass, price is not a true point, he is more of a combo guard. Well after last night we know what he is....He is a PLAYER!! Amazing that Sloan can say he is looking for toughness,heart, a desire to win but he can't see it right in front of his face. I'd say Sloan is done, he just doesn't know it yet!! I think he will stick around as long as the paycheck is good. He can win 50 games for the next ten years with this team. Why would he want to change the roster? We are talking 30 million over the next five years maybe more!

• Matt in VA
    April 28, 2009 3:16 p.m.

It is really hard for the Jazz to undo what the totally stupid Memphis management created. Hello, not taking any other bids for Gasol? At least the Jazz are not that stupid.

Some of the "lack of title" smack on the Jazz has to be placed on Larry Miller. It was he who nixed a Shandon Anderson for Doug Christie trade because Anderson would get more money. That bit of spite went a long way to costing the Jazz the title as Horny's knee's couldn't hold up in the compressed schedule of the shortened season. That was the best chance the Jazz had, and we blew it.

Right now, the Jazz are not a championship team. They simply do not have the superstars, and you need superstars to win in the NBA.

Millsap is not the answer at power forward. He played well, but his free throw shooting was terrible throughout the playoffs. He's a great 6th man, kind of like an improved Malik Rose. But, we need to get a superstar core (3-4 years) then bring in a few good vets to get us over the top.

• Matt in VA
    April 28, 2009 3:30 p.m.

Loved Price's hustle, but you have to either finish or not take the shot. You are not going to get a call in LA when you are a backup. Ultimately, RP had 8 points on 8 shots. His intensity meant so much more, but it is hard to win with a 1pt/shot average. In the NBA, you need the person shooting to be able to get calls from the Reff's. Unfortunately, with Javie, Jordon or Hakeem in a Jazz uniform might have netted the same result.

Either way, Price's sweet putback dunk in the late 3rd quarter alone was better than the entire body of work of BK in the playoffs. I think the Jazz have found their backup to Deron.

We missed a big bruiser who isn't afraid to foul out, and punish people in the process. Fes or even Araujo may have been useful in this series, and at least would have been better than that center guy who started the first three games in the playoffs, but never in the regular season, and never seemed to have anything on his stat line. What was his name?

• Price Fan
    April 28, 2009 4:30 p.m.

I haven't kept up with the Jazz all year until about 2 months ago. I watched Knight and wondered what happened to Price, I don't understand why he was replaced by Knight. Knight had nothing but turnovers and no points. Make Price the back up Point.

• IDJazz12
    April 28, 2009 4:40 p.m.

Your right Magnus that they might not have made a difference in this series but the guys who made it possible for the Jazz to make it to the playoffs were dressed behind the bench, in the D-League, and anchored to the bench.
    While DWill, Boozer, Ak, and Memo our highest paid players missed more games than the whole team. The subs were the guys out competing against teams all year doing the best they could only to watch the mentioned highest paid players squander there hard work to nothing including the last month before the playoffs. Some of that blame has to be laid at Sloans feet also because he is to predictable about who is going to play and the rotation and never going to the bench until he ready to throw in the towel. Then its like oh-yea this guy is good I forgot. DUH!!!!

• Jazzsmack
    April 28, 2009 6:27 p.m.

YOU can blame sloan.

for his game-time coaching

for his system,

for his hand in choosing who they draft, sign or trade for, who they keep,

for his hand in deciding who they get rid of or chase away,

for choosing NOT to play and develop young players, (how much chance has he given to almond fes price koufos, etc)

As long as sloans coaching you will get:

the same system,
    the same kind of players,
    the same treatment of players,
    the same lack of responsibility,
    and the same results they have gotten year in and year out.

• Ellie Idaho
    April 28, 2009 7:19 p.m.

Sloan says he never reads or listens to comments about Jazz games. Maybe he should. 3 pointers weren't as popular when he was in the game. This is 20 plus years laters, why doesn't he have more 3 point players on the team? See what other teams in the playoffs are winning games with --right-- 3 pt. players (Nuggets, Bulls, Celtics, etc). Collins has been around for ages with 2 or 3 rebounds and maybe 2 or 4 points. Get rid of him. Keep the rookies, Brewer, Millsap, Price and Williams. As for Boozer, he's a lost cause and only interested in landing a place on a team in Florida. Sloan should go packing as well, his coaching is too old style and counterproductive.

• Mark
    April 28, 2009 9:02 p.m.

Get off Sloan's back. He is a great coach and is doing what he can with the hand he was dealt.

I agree with Mike about the irony of Boozer's comments. The 'invisible man' talking about how others played is a joke. If Boozer cared about this team he would opt out and take his mercenary attitude elsewhere.

I believe he will stay as he knows that no other team will pay him more or give him a long term contract.

I have a wish for a real power forward....not wings that work.

• IDJazz12
    April 28, 2009 11:00 p.m.

Mark obviously another Sloan lover happy with mediocrity. I have a wish for a real coach....not wings that work.