Utah

Health Hotline: Doctors offer kidney stone advice

Comments

• nobody
    April 11, 2009 3:24 p.m.

Most businesses have to advertise, but some get "journalists" to write "authoritative" "articles" like this one. Just Google "watermelon cleanse".

• Art
    April 11, 2009 4:05 p.m.

This article is uniformative and worthless. Don't use an attractive headline and then follow it with this nonsense.

• silly
    April 11, 2009 5:24 p.m.

article. was written for the kickbacks.

• "Disingenous"?
    April 11, 2009 6:06 p.m.

... or rather "counterintuitive"?

• Hannibal Lecter, M.D.
    April 11, 2009 6:29 p.m.

Don't eat kidneys!

• Warren Kay
    April 11, 2009 6:39 p.m.

I would rather bull my lower lip up over my head...

• Howie
    April 11, 2009 7:19 p.m.

Worst pain I have ever had in my life. Some of those commenting have no idea what it is like.

• Thanks for the Info!
    April 11, 2009 9:46 p.m.

This is a wonderful service. Thanks Deseret News for providing us this information. -- Gayle

• Good Article
    April 11, 2009 9:50 p.m.

I agree with Howie. I love how uninformed people comment on something they don't know anything about. This was one of the worst pains I've ever experienced. I had mine 15 years ago and I can still remember vividly how much agony I was in. Glad to read about new technology that can help with this. My daughter was recently in Intermountain Medical Center and had a great experience. What a wonderful beautiful hospital.

• provojoe
    April 13, 2009 10:16 p.m.

Who said kidney stones didn't hurt??

• Alison
    April 24, 2009 8:46 p.m.

Kidney stones may be a symptom of ingesting too little calcium. When the body senses that it needs more calcium, the parathyroid glands will go into overdrive, secreting hormones to get calcium from the bones. The thinking is that this mechanism is not perfect, and can result in too much calcium being pulled from the bones so that stones form. Doctors who do not understand this will then remove the patient's parathyroid gland(s). Calcium is a vital nutrient. Kids are now getting kidney stones - probably from drinking soda rather than milk. Don't skimp on calcium!

• Stacey
    May 4, 2009 6:31 p.m.

No two stones are exactly the same. My brothers are because his body over produces calcium. My grandpas were magnesium based. I got mine from dehydration during pregnancy and nursing despite drowning my system with water and milk...