Utah Jazz: Hawks end Utah's 12-game winning streak

Comments

• Steve
    March 11, 2009 8:24 p.m.

That is only their first loss in thirteen games. Jazz are going to be a very tough team down the stretch, and should be able to get a good spot in the playoffs. Go Jazz!

• All good things...
    March 11, 2009 8:29 p.m.

Bummer - hopefully they'll just start a new streak. I watched the game, and it looked like the Jazz were more worried about getting a foul call than putting the ball in the hoop. This was not their cleanest finish of late - poor shot selection, awkward spacing, several ugly turnovers, etc. It looked like they were on a road back-to-back, oh wait - they were!

Just one of 82 - better luck in Miami with a couple days rest.

• That's it...
    March 11, 2009 9:20 p.m.

Time to fire Sloan

• JAZZY
    March 11, 2009 9:22 p.m.

I THOUGHT THERE WAS A LOT OF BAD CALL AGAINST THE JAZZ IN THIS GAME BUT ALL IN ALL WE DID A GOOD JOB CONSIDERING IT WAS BACK TO BACK HOPE WE CAN WIN ONE IN MIAMI

• TRUE JAZZ FAN
    March 11, 2009 9:38 p.m.

THAT IT COMMENTING ON FIRING SLOAN NEED TO HAVE HIS HEAD CHECK SLOAN SHOULD GET COACH OF THE YEAR FOR ALL THE INJURIES THAT THE JAZZ HAD TO DEAL WITH I THINK THEY HAVE DONE WELL GO JAZZ WE ARE PROUD OF YOU

• todd from santa ana
    March 11, 2009 9:44 p.m.

You are not going to beat the Hawks with such inconsistentcy tonight minute by minute, it happens, its cool it was bound to end we all have been getting spoiled. I stated 3-2 trip I will take, saying that Miami is most likely if it is going to happen-they beat Boston tonight then again everyone seems to be lately. There are no excuses we had our chances down the last couple minutes, the offensive foul on boozer, missed layup, couple terrible turnovers-and atlanta is a good team. We win when our bench plays well. Offensively tonight it did not. Hopefully they will get back on track Miami. Portland was losing to Dallas, that would be good news. As expected Nuggets beat Ok City

• Ak Fan
    March 11, 2009 9:45 p.m.

Bad game. It was there just slipped away.

• todd from santa ana
    March 11, 2009 10:29 p.m.

good news to cheer all up--Dallas 92 @ Portland 89, The Jazz hang on 1/2 game lead over both Dallas and Denver.

• todd from santa ana
    March 11, 2009 10:32 p.m.

Oops there it is! i meant 1/2 game over Denver and Portland, Dallas 1 game back in 7th-lets get that split in Florida, I will be interested if Atlanta is good enough to beat Boston or Cleveland in the 2nd round and see if they are ready, they are close to being elite-Theyr'e defense was pretty good...

• Anonymous
    March 11, 2009 10:36 p.m.

Please give AK more minutes for our offensive in stead of using Boozer.

• Ferg
    March 11, 2009 10:39 p.m.

Great streak. I'm proud of the Jazz for putting up a fight in the 2nd half. We are playing great ball right now, but I'm extremely nervous about our miserable schedule down the stretch @Miami @Orlando @Oklahoma City (Trap Game) @Phoenix @Portland @Denver @New Orleans @Dallas @San Antonio @LA Lakers. Because of the schedule I think a 7 or 8 seed is where we will end up. If we somehow find a way to win the division we will have proven that we are ready to compete for a championship.

• Jazz Cop
    March 11, 2009 10:51 p.m.

Jazz had their chance, way to get back into the game, they just couldn't get it done. Nothing left in the tank at the end of the game. A better start to the game would've helped. Atlanta has been playing well lately, probably the best they've played all year; however, I still think atlanta is the most overrated team in the league; but if they continue to play like they did tonight, my opinion would change. At this time, Atlanta is playing good ball, so I think the Jazz did pretty good, the hornets got mowed by atlanta down the stretch, and the hornets led that game early; the hornets had no chance against atl in the fourth quarter of that game, and the jazz had a good chance of winning this one, too bad.

• haha
    March 11, 2009 10:54 p.m.

GO MAGIC

• Jazz game
    March 11, 2009 11:03 p.m.

I was actually surprised Utah made a game of it after starting so poorly. I thought they would have lost by 15 or more, but they hung in there and had a great chance to win, if not for some costly turnovers and some questionable calls, but that's the NBA for you. Anyway, I still think Utah looks very good down the stretch.

• Diggity Dan
    March 11, 2009 11:08 p.m.

To TRUE JAZZ FAN,

I think the "That's it... Time to Fire Sloan" comment was a purposeful, sarcastic one. Clearly, that post was aimed at all the Sloan haters. I'm sure the intention was meant to garner a friendly chuckle.

• Matty.G
    March 12, 2009 12:53 a.m.

Why is AK not getting mins lately? Miles appears be be getting as as much game time..

• todd from santa ana
    March 12, 2009 1:42 a.m.

someone can answer this because I honestly do not know, what is wrong with Matt Harpring? we got zero off the bench tonight. His minutes are down he is really struggling, did he get hurt in that skirmish with Smith more than we know? or is it something else? He has to produce more for us to win these games down the stretch

• the Mailman
    March 12, 2009 3:39 a.m.

All good things come to an end..

What is more important is how we respond.

We should be aiming to win both, not just one.
    Miami have found ways to beat us of late and Orlando are a good team so we shold want to beat both if we are to contend this year.
    I dont think back to back games are an excuse, good teams just find a way to win, end of story.

Would like to see AK play more minutes, he is too good to be on the bench so long.

Good test for the Jazz now, the sreak is over and a new one awaits. I have no doubt we have the talent.

• Boozer
    March 12, 2009 4:53 a.m.

Is the laziest player on the floor every night. Does anyone else get tired of watching him pick his own teammate every time there is a chance to switch and play help defense. He is bent over at the waist so much that he is always on his heels when someone tries to go around him. I think he is going to see what he is really worth this summer. We do need another 4 when Milsap is out, but Sloan needs to kick this guys butt.

• Matt Harpring
    March 12, 2009 5:31 a.m.

Hi - you want to know what's wrong with me? I'm getting old, I have bum knees, I'm white and have always been slow. What do I have going for me, and what have I always had going for me - well, it's my Rudy-like attitude.

Harpring's a great guy, but he's not a good basketball player. Fan's expectations shouldn't be too high for him. In a way he's like BYU.

• hillbillydw
    March 12, 2009 6:22 a.m.

korver had a lot of good looks that just didn't go down. ak47 seemed dejected most of game and just couldn't get going. hard for harpring to get going when he didn't get to break a sweat...miles is not the answer...play matt, ak and korver more so they will be prepared for playoffs.

• John Wicks
    March 12, 2009 6:26 a.m.

AK cost us the game tonite. That pass into the middle which of course was stolen and that wild three from the top of the key were very poor. He also looked like his mind was elsewhere. Miles was his usual pathetic contributor and Korver had another off nite. But it was a good run. Just sad by execution during the last 5 minutes.

• Wow
    March 12, 2009 7:00 a.m.

The Jazz lose ONE game after their long win streak and all of you fans bash on them? Some fans we have here in Utah

• Anonymous
    March 12, 2009 8:07 a.m.

For John Wicks - Yeah AK cost us the game tonight. Miles went 2 for 8, Kover went 1 for 6 and Boozer had 4 turnovers, 5 personal fouls and only 13 points in 32:03 minutes. Yet Boozer gets to play 14:51 minutes more than AK. Yep you are right John it was all AK's fault. Roll my eyes

• Hugh G. Hater
    March 12, 2009 8:08 a.m.

Another team killing Sloan's system in transistion points.

This game was winnable. Dwill turned the ball over too much, Boozer's girl-like play continued, Korver another no show, AK not a factor, Memo and Milsap solid as usual.

• SJ
    March 12, 2009 8:31 a.m.

So how many so-called Jazz fans are going to jump off the bandwagon now that they lost?

I for one am in it for the long haul and am confident they will start another winning streak.

• Sammy sez
    March 12, 2009 8:34 a.m.

Of the 30 NBA teams, right now I would rank Utah as the 12th or 13th best team in the league. Until they learn to consistently win road games against good teams, they will be lucky to get beyond the first round of the playoffs. Next two games they have to go up against Dwayne Wade and then Dwight Howard. I can see two more losses coming up. Utah has a nice team with hard working guys, they usually play well together as a unit but have no superstar and the team is just not that great defensively to win road games against the good teams. Improvement is needed, especially on the defensive end if the Jazz are ever going to amount to anything.

• RE:John Wicks
    March 12, 2009 8:48 a.m.

I am an AK fan but I have to agree with you. Besides the errant pass and wild three you mentioned, he also missed a layup. It wasn't so much what he did, but that he did it all within a couple of minutes at the most crucial moment of the game. Three bad plays, each of which could have been a turning point for the Jazz if they had gone the other way.

• Matt Harpring fan
    March 12, 2009 8:48 a.m.

Don't knock on Harpring. He is a stud. He is just have a tough stretch right now. He will be back knocking people around in no time. How dare you knock Harpring when the biggest joke in the NBA (boozer) is not doing anything for the team. Boozer needs to decide if he really wants to play ball or just be a whimp for the rest of his life. Harpring will be back!!!

• Hate to Say It....
    March 12, 2009 8:59 a.m.

Jazz fans, I hate to say it, but last nights loss falls squarely on D WILL's shoulders. I know he is the heart and soul of this team, I truly believe that when he plays to his potential he is the best in the league. But last night was horrible by Deron standards. His floor leadership and decision making down the stretch were HORRIBLE. I think he would even agree. The Jazz go the way He goes, and if he can't pull himself up by his boot straps, were finished. Deron needs to take that last final step in his maturing process and become the ELITE player that we all can see.

Go Jazz, I still think third place in the west in possible.....

• Miles
    March 12, 2009 9:04 a.m.

@John Wicks.....oh never mind I forgot you don't understand the game of basketball. CJ, Korver and Ak all shot horrrible. At least one of them needed to step up. Harpring must be hurt to not play much. But since everyone likes ripping on CJ, he outplayed both AK and Korver last night.

• MIles
    March 12, 2009 9:06 a.m.

I will keep saying it......Jerry needs to cut minutes played on the road and use his bench more. Millsap and Ak could have played more minutes last night. Dwill and Brewer played too many on a back-to-back set and we fell apart in the 4th. When Jerry learns to manage minutes on the road, we will win more road games.

• There Are Nights When
    March 12, 2009 9:16 a.m.

Koufus should be dressed, and used against certain match ups and teams. Why did we quit on him? Here is a quality BIG that just needs playing time to develop and for some reason this coaching staff doesn't believe letting rookies progress and learn how to play in this league. Next year if we have players not ready to play at the start they will want him to play and contribute immediately, and that is just not fair to young players. Where is the future with Collins? I thought Koufus had some outstanding games for a rookie, and contributed but I guess I'm just a stupid fan that needs to not question management, but just pay the cost of tickets and keep my mouth shut. Oh well. Maybe next year I will also shut my wallet.

• AK's three...
    March 12, 2009 9:18 a.m.

It's not his fault the shot clock was down to 2 seconds. What's he supposed to do with no time left? What about when Memo had Bibby posted. Yes Bibby. Why Memo didn't just up up and over him I can't say, but to pass it back out with time expiring is what really hurt that possession.

• ZEKE
    March 12, 2009 9:23 a.m.

Your not going to win many games getting 18 points in the fourth quarter.

• Another thing I noticed.......
    March 12, 2009 9:25 a.m.

was when one of our guys was obviously fouled and it wasn't called, the JAZZ would just stop play and let Atlanta run the ball down the floor unchallenged and they'd score. There were quite a few that happened that way. Our guys were down by our basket holding out their arms questioning why the foul wasn't called. O yeah, another thing is in our defense. I love the way AK defends. He gets right in there and forces them to do something with the ball to get it away from him. Others on the team stand 6 - 10 feet away and wave their arms waiting for them to do something. By that time the other team is set up for the play. I know I'm only a basketball mom, but I always told my kids when they were playing to get in their face and move in to challenge them and force them to throw the ball away. I don't understand why our team doesn't do that. Lots of wild throws and interceptions are made that way. They need to take a lesson from AK on that type of defense.

• Boozer
    March 12, 2009 9:39 a.m.

is unfortunately hurting the Jazz rather than helping right now. He gives up so much on defensive side and not doing great on offensive side. What happen to Memo starting? He clearly took time to get going. He should definetly start so he can get hot right away. AK should have played more just to guard Joe Smith. Our offence is decent. we lost on defensive side.

• my thoughts
    March 12, 2009 9:45 a.m.

The team wins and loses as a team. AK needs more minutes, but he had a bad game. So did Boozer, Korver, Miles, Harpring, Memo and Williams. The only players who had a good game was Millsap, Brewer and Knight.

You can't blame the bad three on AK, it Williams and Okur who couldn't get anything going so they gave it to AK with 2 seconds left. Williams also had a few bad passes at the end of the game.

The reason the Jazz lost the game was lack of 3 point shots. When a team crams the paint as much as they Atlanta, you need to spread the floor. Only Memo and Williams hit his out side shots consistently. Miles, Korver, Harpring, Brewer and AK all stunk with outside jumpers

No worries - the lose was not because of lack of effort or heart, they made it close and had a chance to win.

• Koufus?
    March 12, 2009 9:58 a.m.

This rookie played as well as any rookie we have had for minutes played. He rebounds blocks and alters shots, scores a few in the limited minutes he has played, yes makes a few mistakes on assignments, but over all is good for 10 to 15 minutes a game. We need interior defense Jerry. Give him a shot. Collins doesn't rebound or block shots, he is a good flopper though. It just looks like to me that we have had several games that his play would of helped more than hurt. Also what about the future?

• Jazz Fan 4 F 4
    March 12, 2009 9:59 a.m.

Utah fans are sooooo pathetic. They are such bandwagon people. We had a 12 game win streak. We wouldn't even be close to where we are if we hadn't. The season isn't over after one loss, especially when that was a game we were in until the end. The Jazz are going to surprise you and still end up with a 4 and 1 road trip. Then I would like to encourage all you Bandwagon Buddies to get the heck off of this site, root for another team and be their Bandwagon fans. Pathetic, Ungrateful, Whining, always looking for the bad in people. Grow Up!!!!!!

• B.R.
    March 12, 2009 10:00 a.m.

Four things that stood out in last nights game.

1-Boozer/Charmins lack of defense.( Atlanta had a lay up drill out there.)
    2-The lack of development of our bigs is going to hurt us down the stretch.( No Kufous, No Fes ) Harprings not a 4, he's a 3, and Collins is,well you know, Collins.(0)
    3-A.K. was horrible when he came into the game in the first half, and Sloan had to bench him. He looked a little better in the second half but A.K. is very weak. The slightest contact throws his shot off.( Needs to lift weights and eat some beef.)
    4- Korver was a no show in all categories but has been playing very well lately.

Williams,Okur,Brewer, and Milsap all showed up to play.

• Not just DWill
    March 12, 2009 10:28 a.m.

True, the offense was problematic last night, but the defense was just as much to blame. As others have mentioned, Boozer set as many picks for Atlanta as the Hawks did. What has won some of the other games in this streak was good hard-nosed D by all 5 guys, and I didn't see any of that in the 4th quarter last night.

• I Still Love You....
    March 12, 2009 10:40 a.m.

Jazz the effort was there, the hustle was there(at times)but I think truly the Jazz will benefit from this loss. Im as huge a Jazz fan as the next guy and I hate to see them loose but they can take away a lot of positives from this game. I still think we go 4-1 on this road trip and we will use the mistakes we made to better ourselves. Does anyone else get sick to their stomach everytime they see Boozer touch the ball? Wow he is awful. We always knew he can't play defense but now his offense looks like that of a Jr.High bench player. Id I was a coach playing against the Jazz I would tell my players to give the ball to whoever Boozer is guarding cause thats an automatic 2. The rest of the team is stellar except Harpring also(hes almost worst then boozer)So I predict another 8 game winning streak. You read it hear first. 8 GAME WINNING STREAK.....COMING SOON.

• Just A Thought
    March 12, 2009 11:01 a.m.

After the Jazz get beat by Miami Sat, how about leaving Boozer at his chosen home, and activate Koufus for the balance of the season? This team as they are today doesn't stand a chance of winning a title this year and unless changes are made in the off-season, next year. I personnally don't believe in fantasy. Possible first round winners, but thats it.

• John Rambo
    March 12, 2009 11:03 a.m.

Jazz Fan 4 F 4, you can criticize your team and still be a fan. Just because you are upset with a loss just mean you've jumped off the bandwagon. Last night was a big test for the Jazz - a chance to prove that they can beat a winning team on the road, and they failed.

They've only won one road game this year against a winning team - Detroit. Yes, the 12 game winning streak is awesome, but also somewhat deceiving. Most of the wins were at home - we already knew the Jazz can beat anyone in the league at home. They also caught a lot of teams on the back end of back-to-backs, and the road wins were against bad teams.

They need to, at some point, beat a good team on the road. It's not bandwagon-jumping, just a concern.

• IowaJazzMan
    March 12, 2009 1:38 p.m.

I'm sorry people but Boozer is HORRIBLE! Can't anyone else see that he makes NO attempt to play defense? When he was injured, it seemed that teams had to work hard to get into the paint. Now...they set up a table, throw down a sleeping bag, make dinner, watch some HDTV and make UNCONTESTED layups/dunks all day. Simply horrible. Without D-will, this team is way below .500 It's not even close.

• John Rambo
    March 12, 2009 2:13 p.m.

Yeah, Boozer is horrible - which is why the Jazz are 15-5 when he plays...

• Jazz Oldtimer..Korver time
    March 12, 2009 2:17 p.m.

I don`t think any of us question Miles`s potential,that said,we can not afford to lose 2/3 or 4 games in a row,that would all but undo all the hard work that got us where we are.Korver will do more things for us,he`s proven it,and we need a hard worker/hustler now.we`ll still have a great bench with AK/Millsap/Miles/Knight...thoughts???

• Miles
    March 12, 2009 3:14 p.m.

@Jazz Oldtimer....Your writing style resembles that of comma man and Houdini. Miles has started all year and with all the injuries I would say our record is awesome. So get of the Korver to start thing and accept that Korver is a bench man. Not a starter. Miles has down great filling in for AK as a starter. AK has done awesome coming off the bench. There are plenty of things to fix on this team but the starting lineup is not one of them.

• RE: Miles
    March 12, 2009 3:27 p.m.

I have no problem with Miles starting, but AK needs to play more then 19 minutes...

• west coast jazz
    March 12, 2009 4:21 p.m.

time for booz to go no loss

• Houdini
    March 12, 2009 5:51 p.m.

@miles

I'am coma man.

• Korver
    March 12, 2009 6:18 p.m.

lot better option at this point of the year,miles needs to sit and learn,maybe go back to school

• Re: Oldtimer
    March 12, 2009 7:41 p.m.

You are right on,the playoff have started and Korver gives us a better chance of winning. miles is soft and really not a lot of basketball smarts,I think everyone pretty much agrees,other than miles,but he really doesn`t know much about the game

• STEVE-O
    March 13, 2009 11:18 a.m.

The game really went south when Boozer came in for Okur. Memo got his 5th foul with about 5 minutes left and when Boozer came in the offense looked bad. Booze just isn't capable of getting back to the middle of the floor after he steps out to slow down the point gaurd on a pick and roll. He steps out and then has to turn his back to recover. His man is either getting a lay-up, or the point guard is driving while his back is turned.
    I think in another two weeks he'll be in better condition and he'll be able to defend the pick and roll more effectively. I just think if Okur was left in the game the Jazz probably would have won the game. I can't be too upset with one loss in 13 games though.

• STEVE-O
    March 13, 2009 11:49 a.m.

There are a lot of people saying Koufus needs minutes, and I agree with that. However, at this point of the season when he's been sitting on the bench for so long we can't stick him in there!
    The Jazz coaching staff has always been hard on Rookies, but I think they do an amazing job at developing players. Half our starting lineup were draft picks that were developed. Even DWill struggled to get minutes his first season, but he came out of it a better player. Brewer and Millsap were developed into tough players!
    Players that are weak will never make it on a Jerry Sloan team, but they aren't worth anything anyway. Koufus is a hard worker and a tough player so his time will come.
    Next year the Jazz are gonna lose some players and Koufus will get some playing time for sure! No doubt about it!

• JazzFanInATL
    March 13, 2009 2:24 p.m.

Just want to say I LOVE the Jazz - always have. Being in atlanta I only see them 1x/year and on TV. The past few games I've seen were great - they are a great team. I was excited to see them play the Hawks - who have a very young, athletic team and are in 4th place in the East. I was yelling all night and annoying everyone around me.

The Jazz just could not get things going - no 3s, missed jumpers, got blocked all night, threw away pass after pass. But hey - you can't win them all. Anyhow, I think they are a great team - Carlos Boozer not withstanding. Maybe he will leave after this season and we can find a player who wants to PLAY every night - Boozer comes to play once in a while. Not what any team needs.

Go Jazz! We love ya.