Utah

Temple Square ranks 16th in visitors

Comments

• Soul
    March 11, 2009 6:47 p.m.

How much time and money do these tourists spend in Salt Lake City while visiting Temple Square?

What do these visitors learn or enjoy while in our happy capital city?

• Temple square is awesome.
    March 11, 2009 7:03 p.m.

I think it is such an awesome addition to our downtown environment. It is beautiful, asthetically pleasing, and calming. And free!

I think all major cities need something like this for tourists to visit and get a taste of what makes their state different and unique.

I love that LDS and non-LDS can enjoy each other.

Respect is a beautiful thing!

• uncannygunman
    March 11, 2009 9:59 p.m.

It really doesn't matter, but I don't really think that religious folks gathering at a religious site should be counted as tourists for this kind of listing. By that measure, the biggest tourist attraction in some towns is the local megachurch.

But there are a lot of tourists too. I went there as a child on a family vacation, and we weren't Mormon.

• Common Census
    March 11, 2009 11:10 p.m.

To uncannygunman: I'm sorry, I don't follow your line of logic but, what the hey, this used to be America where it was okay to think a bit differently.

It used to be okay.

• nottyou
    March 12, 2009 5:23 a.m.

uncannygunman has no logic.

• Doug Smith
    March 12, 2009 8:09 a.m.

I have a fondness for Salt Lake City because I visited during Christmas in 1987. I asked my spouse to marry me that week. She and I then went to see the lights at Temple Square. Very romantic. Since then I visited on business while working for a genealogy on-line company. Now all I have are memories of a very beautiful place. The Family History Library rocks!

• Filibuster
    March 12, 2009 8:47 a.m.

Actually, I think uncannygunman has a good point. I didn't even really think about that. However, It's a great place to be and definitely worth the visit.

• Chance
    March 12, 2009 9:22 a.m.

Good point??? Lets see, I live in Uruguay....I have always wanted to visit New York City and Salt Lake City. One for the sights of NY (and I would go visit the Temple,) and the other for the sights of SLC (and I would go visit the Temple.) Why am I not considered a tourist just because I belong to the Church? That is not a good point. These are just two places I long to visit. I will not live there, I will not work there, but I will visit these places and then go back home with pictures on my camera and memories on my mind. Give me a break. Somebody who doesn't like the church willing to tear down around every corner.

• Anonymous
    March 12, 2009 9:28 a.m.

What else is there in downtown SLC to see? People don't visit Temple Square because of anything valuable. There just isn't anything else around. It's the only game in town. That is what the Church is good at, monopolizing Utah geographically, politically, socially and economically.

• First Real Vacation
    March 12, 2009 9:30 a.m.

Going to Temple Square in SLC was the first vacation I ever went on while growing up. I loved it. Those that actually think it shouldn't count are also those that grew up with money and probably have traveled outside the country for a vacation. Not everyone grows up with money or can even afford to get too far from home but Temple Square can be a great place to take the family with both the beehive house and pioneer park all close by.

• Things to Do?
    March 12, 2009 10:16 a.m.

There are so many things to do in downtown Salt Lake City. You can attend a play or watch the opera at the Capitol Theatre. Go see a Jazz game or concert at the Energy Solutions Arena. Take your kids to the Discovery Gateway Museum at the gateway. There are over 150 different restaurants, pubs and bars all within walking distance to temple square. (I know I said pubs and bars, crazy that port o call is not the only bar in Salt Lake. The Outdoor Retailer convention which comes twice a year generates $26 Million in revenue for the city and state each time. Utah's tourism industry brings almost one BILLION to the state in terms of jobs and tax revenue. Don't underestimate what tourism can do for the state economy.

• splitme2
    March 12, 2009 10:21 a.m.

Anonymous 9:28 - The value in Temple Square is not monetary, maybe that's why you don't get it!

• Rock Hound
    March 12, 2009 10:34 a.m.

I love Temple Square. The gardens are fantastic at any season. The lights and displays at Christmas are some of the best anywhere. I live in Texas but visit family regularly in Utah and going to Temple Square is one of our family's favorite activities. I have visited many sacred religious sites around the world, from Cathederals in Europe and Buddhist temples and shrines in Taiwan and China. Religious sights are important tourist attractions because they reflect the spiritual foundations of great world cultures. The Salt Lake Temple is an important symbol of a the spiritual foundation that has made America a great world culture. I did not realize that it is one of the top 20 attractions in the US but it definitely deserves to be.

• Tourists still spend money
    March 12, 2009 11:05 a.m.

It's been argued that Temple square should not be on the list becasue it's free, unlike Disney World or other malls where spending money is a given.

People that visit Temple Square have to eat and sleep, thus spending money in Utah and contributing to our tourism revenue. I doubt many people come visit Temple Square and leave the state the same day.

• lost in DC
    March 12, 2009 11:29 a.m.

Anonymous 9:28, you are welcome to invest in some type of attraction downtown if you feel there's nothing else there. If the church's involvement has left such a void, you should be able to find plenty of lucrative niches you can fill.

• Colorado
    March 12, 2009 11:42 a.m.

I Love to visit Temple Square when I come to Utah. I loved Salt lake during the Olympics. I love to be able to take my family to Temple Square during any season. The Gardens are amazing, the Christmas lights are un-matched, I don't feel pressured to join the Mormon church and don't feel like the missionaries are there to annoy me. Thanks Mormon Church for a familiy friendly and free experience.

• Mall in DC.
    March 12, 2009 12:07 p.m.

Arent most of the attractions in the nations capital free, yet it is included on the list?

• Move
    March 12, 2009 12:17 p.m.

Anonymous

If you don't like it here, JUST MOVE. Don't complain about everything and stay, MOVE. Get some balls and MOVE to NY or LA. You'll fit in well.

• Anonymous
    March 12, 2009 1:44 p.m.

Move,

Just as the Prophet said for you NOT to do...

When will they ever learn?

• don't be defensive
    March 12, 2009 3:28 p.m.

uncanny did make a good point, i don't get what people were offended by.

• Naruto
    March 12, 2009 3:44 p.m.

Most tourist are rather dissapointed when they find out they can't actually go inside the temple. I mean how would you feel if you went all the way to the Vatican just to find out that you aren't allowed to go inside.

• Love SLC
    March 12, 2009 4:18 p.m.

I love strolling around downtown SLC for the architecture of many of the older buildings. I was there on Tuesday and wished that I had taken my camera with me. Maybe Saturday I will go and take some pictures.

• Re:Naruto
    March 12, 2009 5:29 p.m.

There are certain parts of the vatican that you are not allowed to go. What makes that any different?

• Anonynomus
    March 12, 2009 6:53 p.m.

You really don't get it. People were simply identifying the reason why many people come to Salt Lake. You seem to have a hard time with anything Mormon. Alot of people come to hear the choir, go sking, see and use olympic venues, the Jazz and a host of other reasons. I fail to see why it should trouble you if people want to see the temple.

• Sherrild
    March 13, 2009 6:19 a.m.

I love the Spirit on Temple Square. How about the Convention Center? With the new Family History Library in Salt Lake City, there will always be excited tourists/visitors anxious to take advantage of what Utah has to offer. I cannot imagine having any problem finding something enjoyable to do in Salt Lake City around Temple Square.

• hillplus
    March 13, 2009 7:38 a.m.

Ahhh, I can feel the love! LOL

Really though, Temple square is a very nice place to visit. Beautiful, uplifting and peaceful!

• Temple Square Missionary
    March 13, 2009 10:36 a.m.

This is exciting to see that Temple Square was a top visitor's site. I served as a sister missionary, and met many people from all over the world. The diversity of people who come to the Square is amazing. Motorcoaches of Koreans, Chinese, Germans can have a tour in their native language because there are sister missionaries from their countries to guide them around.

People enjoy the calm, peaceful feeling of Temple Square, partly for the beautiful flowers, landscaping and buildings, but also the grounds crew keeps everything so clean and well-kept. The history and stories behind the buildings is also very intriguing to people who take the time to learn of the sacrifices the early settlers of Utah made. It is a family friendly environment where anyone can come and find peace away from the hustle and bustle outside of the gates of Temple Square.

I love Temple Square and love the people who come to visit and hope they have a good experience while they come to visit.

• tailmaster
    March 13, 2009 11:01 a.m.

I have thoroughly enjoyed several visits to Temple Square; gardens, fountains, music, and you haven't lived until you've tried Lion House cherry pie.

It is a paradoxical truth that people who live among great things often tend to be uninspired by them. For example, I know very many people in the Orlando area that are completely unimpressed with Disney World.

• Marty
    March 13, 2009 12:20 p.m.

If you really want to have a great memory of temple square, land some tickets to listen to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra. On top of everything else this tops off a great memory of temple square!!!

I think it should be counted if members go there because they are going for the same reasons as everyone else is going. Their bishops are telling them to go there for worships services and to partake of the sacrament.

It's a place to behold if one goes in the right frame of mind. Why is it all we want is to be entertained all the time.

• Marty
    March 13, 2009 12:24 p.m.

Opps, Typo... I meant to say "Their bishops (ARE NOT) telling them to go there for worships services and to partake of the sacrament."

• amazed
    March 13, 2009 4:33 p.m.

There is nothing more beautiful and peaceful than temple square no matter what the season. The amazing part is it's all free. Anyone that has visited knows it certainly is, very worthy, of being on the most admired sights list!

• DaisyGirl
    March 13, 2009 4:57 p.m.

We're Arizonans on our way to SLC today to go snowboarding and yes to see the beautiful Temple Square! I'm so glad so many people come from all over the world to do this--there is such a special feeling there!

• TouristPro
    March 13, 2009 6:58 p.m.

As one who knows the business, as I am a Motorcoach Driver from Southern California, and Temple Square is a place that everyone wants to visit because:

1. Tour Guides are arranged for visitors-languages spoken throughout the World.
    2. The Tabernacle is recognized as one of the largest unsupported dome ceilings throughout the World and is a National Civil Engineering Landmark.
    3. Mormon Tabernacle Choir for music lovers. Well known for their Sunday morning Broadcast and Choral performances throughout the World.
    4. Pioneer History explained and about their fight for Religious Freedom.
    5. The Temple - out of Granite - from the inside of a mountain!! Remember - pioneers - the tools they brought with them - Horse and Wagons.
    6. The Visitor Center explains the religion that gave the pioneers such strong convictions and fortitude to go through difficult times.

Next stop - The Capitol. Most people from other countries are astounded by Religious Freedom and our governing bodies.

The Great Salt Lake - people want to go swimming...

Go on a tour of your own city and find out about local history and see what the ordinary tourist sees.
    I could go on and on...find out for yourselves - take time - educate youself.

• Salt Temple?
    March 23, 2009 12:05 p.m.

They had mummies on Temple square within the visitor center 50 years ago? Does anyone know what happened to the mummies, the Indian Mom, and baby in papoose? Where did they all go? Also the stuffed seago birds?

• Anonymous
    March 23, 2009 6:43 p.m.

Whoo hoo!

• Amazing
    March 28, 2009 8:33 p.m.

I love Temple Square and I am so glad so many people experience the wonderful feeling that's felt there. And I am even more excited since I just got called to be a sister missionary at Temple Square!

• Love it
    March 29, 2009 3:30 p.m.

The mummies are in the Historical Museum going north on Main Street from the temple. Lots to do and see in Salt Lake but the best place is the temple.

• Veni, vidi, vici.
    March 29, 2009 4:01 p.m.

The Temple is great The Temple is good long live the Temple... Seriously, as a nonLDS living in Utah I enjoy going to the Temple as much as anybody else but you all need to take a deep breath.

"uncanny did make a good point, i don't get what people were offended by."

I agree... People can be VERY defensive... even when there is no reason to be.

• C.L.Nelson
    March 29, 2009 4:32 p.m.

Every anniversary my husband and I take the time to reminisce deep memories of our Temple marriage by visiting the place that symbolizes our life together. Throughout our 41 years we've seen tragedies and miracles within our family. Without a doubt each visit there brings the sacred spirit deeper into our soul. There's no place we'd rather be than at the temples of the Lord. It's not just for the ceremony, but their truly IS a divine spirit in and around the Salt Lake Temple. It's as though the pioneers that sacrificed so much to build this sacred edifice are there watching over us! I believe that's what makes it such a special
    abode. One cannot help feeling something within when making this visit each time.