Utah

Activists face grand jury in releases of minks

Comments

• Anonymous
    Feb. 18, 2009 10:59 a.m.

I want to sympathize with their plight, but I can't. I believe that animals should be treated with respect and be well-cared for. I'm a vegetarian, even. But releasing animals that have no ability to survive in the wild is just as cruel to the animals as is the treatment from the breeders. There are better ways that are less dramatic and less destructive to create awareness and fight for better lives for animals.

• sad
    Feb. 18, 2009 11:31 a.m.

These activists are really sad. How about getting jobs, contributing to society and choosing not to buy mink. Instead, they terrorize those who are productive in legal occupations. They are typical liberals - "Think the way we think, or we will make you think our way, by force".

• Whining baby
    Feb. 18, 2009 11:37 a.m.

What a bunch of whining babies. If they did anything wrong- meaning if they were at least parcially responsible for letting the minks loose, I hope they are nailed. There is nothing wrong with protesting animal cruelty. But when you mess with someone elses livelihood just for making your little point, you should suffer the consequences.

• anonymous
    Feb. 18, 2009 12:23 p.m.

As in every other case of animal cruelty these people should be placed in jail if found guilty.

Dog fighting is illegal, chicken fights are illegel, it is illegal for me to abuse a dog or cat. All of these are and should be crimes. Is it not the same thing to let animals free that will die slow painful deaths? Mink have no way to survive out side of captivity. They starve, freeze, get run over by cars. How cruel it is to free these animals.

Heres an idea. Try to change peoples minds about the need for fur. Im sure quite a few would buy into the idea. Next buy all the mink yourself. Let the animal rights activists take charge of their care.

• Re: anonymous
    Feb. 18, 2009 12:48 p.m.

Mink have no way to survive in captivity either. Animal rights organizations have been trying for decades to show people the truth about how cruel factory farming is. But for some reason people keep buying fur when there are plenty of alternatives.

Those farmers make Mike Vick seem like pet owner of the year. And if you wear fur you should be ashamed to support such an industry.

• Re; sad
    Feb. 18, 2009 1:01 p.m.

Let's say these kids work at coffee shop, since that's the only place that liberals work anymore. I'm sure they are doing for the world than a guy that breeds animals so he can eventually beat them to death and skin thier corpses so some rich slag can have a new coat. Agree?

• Fur has a small carbon footprint
    Feb. 18, 2009 1:30 p.m.

Most fake fur is made from petroleum products. Isn't oil harvested by scarring the land with new roads, and used to create gasoline that is polluting our water and air. It seems to me that a mink coat has a much smaller carbon footprint than a faux fur coat.

• Real vs Oil
    Feb. 18, 2009 1:43 p.m.

Remember oil used to be alive as well!!

• anonymous
    Feb. 18, 2009 2:35 p.m.

Hope you get a big, cuddly cell-mate Jordan.

• jonas brother
    Feb. 18, 2009 2:51 p.m.

Maybe someday he can grow up to be just like Peter Young. Then he can go on the college lecture tour and be worshiped by hundreds. Great career path. Mom will be so proud.

• Carbon Footprint?
    Feb. 18, 2009 2:55 p.m.

Really? Just about everything we do has a cabon footprint.

But since you have such a good point, beating to death and skining animals saves about 5 gallons of gas so lets just go with that.

• Veggies are alive too.
    Feb. 18, 2009 3:25 p.m.

I'm surprised someone hasn't taken the initiative to put that one out there. Because seriously man its too ironic not to be said. Just like the oil comment. He and i run a couple o factories called Brains....now go rethink your values, commies!

That'll teach 'em to come into Utah with views that didn't come from Larry the cable guy.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 18, 2009 5:19 p.m.

I support the idea of them protesting with tape over their mouths.

• How is it...
    Feb. 18, 2009 7:04 p.m.

that "More than two dozen animal rights activists" can show up at the court house in the middle of a work day to protest? Don't these people have jobs?

• You Miss the Point
    Feb. 19, 2009 12:14 a.m.

What I find interesting is that most of you miss the point. This is not about an animal rights issue but is a human rights issue. We have been raised in a country where we believe we have rights. These two individuals were called as witnesses, they are not criminals. We need to do away with Grand Juries. Grand Juries are archaic and when you go before one you no longer have those rights you may have thought you once had. You have no representation, and this is nothing more than a way for law enforcement or the DA to get around a law for those that want to use our perceived constitutional rights. Once again these people are witnesses not criminals but just the same are treated like criminals. I am sure that most of the kids there were friends. They are probably students and most probably work evenings at jobs most adults would not be willing to work even in this poor economy.
    The comment about Jordan getting a big cuddly cell mate shows no maturity. I am sure you have been there to be able to state something like that. I'm sorry for you.

• geedub
    Feb. 19, 2009 8:28 a.m.

Could they please leave the tape over their mouths?

• Grand Juries are Archaic?
    Feb. 19, 2009 11:07 a.m.

Get real. Grand juries are one of the most important things in our society. They are convened to determine if there is enough evidence to indict someone. It's the step in the process in which citizens--not an appointed judge, not a law enforcement guy who's job is to arrest people, but average, ordinary citizens like you and me--determine who is indicted and who isn't. Do away with grand juries and prosecutors could indict anyone they want to. The biggest problem with grand juries and the entire legal system is unscrupulous prosecutors--think Duke lacrosse or the KPMG fiasco by the feds. The best protection against improper prosecution is the Grand Jury. That's why there's no defense lawyers and why the proceedings are supposed to be secret. The decision is made by people like you and me--average, ordinary folks, hopefully with enough common sense and intelligence to recognize when and when not to indict.

• Annonymous
    Feb. 19, 2009 11:46 a.m.

Well Jordan, you thought you could get away with releasing all those mink? The government isn't stupid. Why are you and the other terroractivists trying to hide the other girls name? It's cute you and your friends are trying to protect your girlfriend. But she is just as guilty as you for not coming forward with the info. I hope you both rot in prison!

• Kelly
    Feb. 19, 2009 12:47 p.m.

Mink in fact CAN survive outside of cages, and this has been well documented in past liberation cases. Mink have been found surviving years later. These are wild animals living in horrible conditions leading to painful and cruel deaths.

If your neighbor were brutally beating their dog and you knew about it would you sit back and let it happen? Those who know the conditions on a fur farm that have the guts to give these animals a chance at life (instead of CERTAIN DEATH) are heroes in a way most people only dream of.

There is no need for these atrocities to take place and I look forward to the day that every fur farm is out of business and done polluting our water supplies. They claim these to be "family business" I am glad my family isn't in the business of torturing animals.

• Whiggy
    Feb. 19, 2009 1:00 p.m.

The point is that we are obligated to follow the law. If you do not like the law, petition to change it.

• kelly is confused like Jordan
    Feb. 19, 2009 1:56 p.m.

Kelley, the range map for the American Mink does not include Utah. Another question is, whether the released animals are American Mink or another species. Please provide us with references to the documentation you speak of. The release of non-native species into the wild is another crime all together.
    And just because one or two released animals are able to survive post-release does not mean that the other couple thousand did not die a horrible, painful, unnatural death.
    I am not a fan of fur farming, and I am not a fan of you and your rant.

• lost in DC
    Feb. 19, 2009 2:07 p.m.

if the terrorists are so concerned about the mink, why don't they buy the mink farmers out? Oh, that's right, they've probably never spent a productive day in their lives.

• lht
    Feb. 19, 2009 2:45 p.m.

Blowing up abortion clinics is terrorism. Destroying logging trucks is terrorism. Releasing minks is terrorism. Call it what it is.Terrorists are cowardly, selfish, and dangerous. They should be punished accordingly.

• ignorance bliss?
    Feb. 19, 2009 3:11 p.m.

Apparenly people commenting aren't well schooled, number one, there are humane tests made that mink are not domesticated, never will be, they fight for their lives as much as possible. NUMBER 2, i don't agree in wearing fake fur either, i think it's all gross. TWo apparently you aren't getting the gist of the article, it's not about the deed, it's the witch hunt. THE ALF has taken responsibility for the act, and Jordan is not in the movement. Grand juries are witch hunts, take away your right to an attorney and to the 5th ammendment right. OH and i only know one person who works in a coffee shop.

• ignorance bliss?
    Feb. 19, 2009 3:15 p.m.

Another point, it was my day off, and most of these individuals have night jobs and go to school. I know several have both school and work in the same day, i like the assumptions though. but apparenly you didn't think for a second "hum they don't have jobs but are wearing clothes, most drive a car, how could they afford those signs?" rethink, reprocess. Now make you immature assumptions

• DBR
    Feb. 19, 2009 4:13 p.m.

It's frustrating that the des news and the commenters focused on the animal rights stuff, which I couldn't give less of a damn about except that it is an example of massive resource mis-use, instead of the logistics of a grand jury.

The inclusion of a prosecutor and no legal representation on the side of the accused is absolutely unjust, especially if you consider that those 'normal people' manning the grand jury can be selected in advance by their previous choices.

Oh and I LOVE all of the comments to the tune of 'don't break the law, and if the law's bad change it!' Civil unrest and protests are what finally shakes you sleepy unresponsive masses into some element of change. Our system requires massive input before something changes, and as you've mentioned, most of us have mouths to feed.

It's no accident that the people are kept in a constant state of work so they cannot be involved in improving their democracy.

• Lindsay
    Feb. 19, 2009 7:39 p.m.

I knew Jordan growing up, he went to the same school as me. I've always known him as a vegan. But I never would have thought he would release all these mink. He was a really cool kid, nice, and compassionate. He not only cared about animals bit he also cared about everyone. When a mutual friend of our died. He was over to my house in a heartbeat with just one call. He took on so much. He cared for everyone, it seemed as if he was so selfless. I never heard him complain about any of his own problems. Good luck Jordan.
    Love,
    Lindsay

• Proper procedures
    Feb. 19, 2009 7:57 p.m.

Those who oppose the mink industry should abide by existing laws and take an approach that respects other's property. I cannot condone breaking into someone else's business solely because of personal ethical biases.

I do not condone mistreatment of animals. Passing laws toward the proper treatment and penalties for those who do not obey them is the correct approach. A civilized society respects the rights of others and works to pass laws/ordinances to protect its citizenry.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 20, 2009 10:27 a.m.

I own my own business, so I gave myself the day off, I was there to support Jordan because of human rights issues not animal rights issues.

• Common Sense
    Feb. 21, 2009 8:18 p.m.

would indicate that the mink farmers SHOULD have had much better "security" and be willing to enforce their private property rights. If someone is entering your facilities to commit a crime, then I would automatically think they are at the very least burglars, or worse violent predators.
    Perhaps if a few of the "soldiers" were martyred in their cause it might be a GOOD THING for society.

• Interested
    Feb. 23, 2009 12:50 p.m.

I'm, glad all of those "activists" showed up at the courthouse. Now they are in the FBI file. I don't suppose little Jordon or any of those others who may or may not have been involved ever have been called on the carpet before. I would guess Daddy's pocketbook will speak loudly along with a bout with the Feds. Jordon, your lawyer is giving you bum advice.............unless your guilty.

• Al Burnett
    Feb. 23, 2009 3:19 p.m.

Jordan, I think you better start thinking about all those big furry fellows in prison. They act like animals too, but it will be your rights that you are worried about, not some other animals. You have no right to disrupt some families way of making a living. I do not agree with many things that go on in society. I get sick every time I see or read something about Michael Vick, But, you are being unlawful and cruel also. Get a grip. Just because you think up something when you are high on mj, don't always cary out the visions that you see through your little hor rimmed, coke bottle like glasses. Thats all I have to say about that!

• BO
    Feb. 23, 2009 3:27 p.m.

Jordy,
    I raise mink also. I have gone to alot of work and expense to produce for me and my family. We may call this animal rights,but it most definitely is called human rights. I have a right to raise mink. You do not have a right to let them go. I have got a security system which I use called Winchester. It makes people who are messing with other peoples things feel real bad. Don't let it grab you Jordy!

• Al
    Feb. 23, 2009 3:31 p.m.

Jody,
    Sometimes good things happen out of bad situations. I got your old job at McDonalds. Thanks bud.

• Majority violates rights, revolt
    Feb. 23, 2009 3:57 p.m.

"Refusal to testify could land Halliday in jail for contempt of court. The secret grand jury proceedings do not permit an attorney present, something Halliday decried as "unconstitutional."

Let me understand this correctly. You can't have an attorney present even though the Sixth amendment guarantees that "In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right ...to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation;...and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence" yet this man can be held in contempt for refusing to testify?

If that is how these voters want to play this game then his family should arrest them, and hold them in contempt of their family and then if their families object they had better send the police to harass and kill those who won't bow down and worship the votes of their neighbors. If you will violate our rights, if your neighbors who you pay to serve as police officer will violate our rights then to hell with America and the constitution. His family should stand behind him and defend him against those neighbors/voters who don uniforms to do their bidding of their families and voters.

• David O
    Feb. 24, 2009 2:58 a.m.

Gotta love that releasing those minks resulted in their deaths as cars smooshed them. Real geniuses at work. Just remember, when in jail, do not offer to release another man's mink.

• A chance
    Feb. 24, 2009 1:12 p.m.

All you people say "they'll die in the street" "they'll starve to
    Death". Well the fact is that, all will die most certainly within the year 100%. So I say at least they are given a chance to feel what it is like to be free and most do survive. They arnt yet domesticated. If I had a choice to die most certainly through horrid electrocution techniques that I am unable to describe on this comment (as of would be erased for vulgarity) or have a chance at being free of course I would take that chance!

• You Miss the Point
    Feb. 27, 2009 4:17 p.m.

I have to laugh at some of the stupid things people say as comments. The point I want to make is that Jordan was only called as a grand jury witness, he is not guilty of or has he been charged with anything, least of all killing or releasing mink. People do not realize that a prosecutor can obtain a subpoena to compel anyone to testify without showing probable cause and without even showing that the person subpoenaed is likely to have relevant information. It is a for lack of a better way to explain this, "a fishing expedition".
    I feel bad for those mink farmers that lost their mink and had their livelihoods disrupted, but don't make accusations and accuse the wrong people. At this point we are all just assuming this is what he was called to be a witness for.
    I think it is time that the police and FBI did a little more investigating and leg work instead of trying to make a case on a he said, she said, or I heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend that someone did something.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 27, 2009 4:26 p.m.

It isn't over with yet, I am sure that there will be more protesters and supporters at the court house again this coming up Wednesday. This is crazy.

• Anonymous
    March 5, 2009 10:03 p.m.

The ignorance in these comments makes actions like this more and more needed. The fact that what they did had a greater impact then trying to convince people not to wear is very much there.Also, how many of you would be able to hold your ground against FBI agents and not talk? Im sure most of you would crack within moments.
    I'm sure most of these people do have jobs but have taken time off to help out the activists.
    Peoples ignorance is amazing and I can not believe that people can act like this with something.
    Please take time out of your busy life of making fun of activists to grow up a little.

• Gonze
    March 6, 2009 1:32 p.m.

I think its funny that people who are speaking for the activists have their comments deleted.

If this one doesn't show up either, well I bet we can just both laugh... sort of.

• m
    March 20, 2009 7:38 p.m.

I do not agree with animal liberation when it comes to destroying others property and for the most part I believe Grand juries are a good thing. But Jordan has been put in this situation not because he was committing any illegal activities but because he "MIGHT" have information about who did. He has basically become his own case. I would think that the FBI might realize that he will not be the type of person to give up all of his beliefs just to get out of prison. He is going to be there till they have made a point to anyone else that this is what happens if you don't talk. But this is just adding fuel to the fire. People who are in his position in the future are just going to be making mayrters out of them selves to prove that they cannot be broke.