Utah

Thousands gather downtown to cheer Utes

Parade marks U.'s 13-0 season, Sugar Bowl win

Comments

• Congrats...
    Jan. 16, 2009 4:14 p.m.

to all the Utes!! Go Big Red!

• once more
    Jan. 16, 2009 4:31 p.m.

Beat the pants off everyone again and let's do it again next year!!

• Great Party!
    Jan. 16, 2009 4:34 p.m.

You guys deserve it...WAY TO GO UTES!

• Sincere congrats from a coug
    Jan. 16, 2009 4:41 p.m.

Congratulations! You did the MWC proud.

• proud socal ute
    Jan. 16, 2009 5:00 p.m.

thank you utes! you've made us proud!!! no one thought we could take down the big BCS alabama and thought we'd get crushed, but the team never believed them! if the nation didn't know who the utes were after the fiesta bowl, they know who we are now! the future of the MWC is now better thanks to utah's win over the tide! love or hate the utes, each team in the MWC will get more recognition now thanks to this win. once again, thanks for a great season! one that we will NEVER forget!

• TC
    Jan. 16, 2009 5:50 p.m.

I know how Ute fans hate us Cougar fans posting comments on articles about the Utes... but, oh well, here it goes!

Congratulations Utah! Great season! Great showing against Alabama! And a special congratulations to Kyle Whittingham for being named national coach of the year.

So... no contreversy here from this Cougar fan. There is nothing to argue about... Utah was perfect. If the system was fair, the Utes would be the undisputed national champions.

Enjoy it. Celebrate! The Utes and their fans deserve it.

• Skip H
    Jan. 16, 2009 6:07 p.m.

Congrats Waddoups for his support of the U. Maybe you can back off your nefarious opinions about restaurants being bars.

GO UTES!

• What a season
    Jan. 16, 2009 6:16 p.m.

I had so much fun watching all the games this season, the only one I went to was the OSU at Rice-Eccles and that was the most exciting game I witnessed. Wished I lived closer to attend more games in person. Next year will definitley be a rebuilding year but I'm very optomistic about it. Sad to see my favorite player leave(Paul Kruger), but at least we still got Sylvester, Misi and many others returning. What a geat season and I am so glad to be a Utes fan.

• Dragonboy
    Jan. 16, 2009 6:48 p.m.

GO UTAH! I've been a cougar guy mostly but now i'm jumping on the band wagon because these guys are soooo cool. Loved the article. Loved the season. Go UTES!

• RE: Bandwagon Dragonboy
    Jan. 16, 2009 7:41 p.m.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out! Congrats to the Utes on a wonderful season and on picking up another one of our fans.

• nottyou
    Jan. 16, 2009 8:14 p.m.

So, was the crowd so large that is was impossible to estimate, or did having only two photos pretty much show all the Ute fans in attendance? Impressive...very impressive Uters.

• Utah
    Jan. 16, 2009 8:17 p.m.

We're number 2!!! We're number 2!!

• jbug
    Jan. 16, 2009 8:59 p.m.

PLEASE hang the banner 2008 National Champions at rice-eccles!!!
    Let the BCS have their championship...Utah is the National Champion!

• Congratulations Utes...
    Jan. 16, 2009 9:05 p.m.

This team has accomplished more than any other college football team from Utah.

• Red faced
    Jan. 16, 2009 9:21 p.m.

Embarrassing throwing a parade for a 2nd place finish! Please don't put a banner up, that would be even worse. The rest of the world outside of SLC is laughing right now.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 16, 2009 9:29 p.m.

red faced...they laugh because AGAIN they pulled off denying a true National Champion at the expense of money! How much money do you think Florida and even Oklahoma made in that game?!?! How much do "big schools" stand to lose if we all play on the same field?
    The BCS should not be laughed at...it should be dismantled and Utah should be recognized (and paid) as the National Champion.
    This is much more than just football...

• Let 'em laugh...
    Jan. 16, 2009 9:44 p.m.

Hey, Red faced | 9:21 p.m. Jan. 16, 2009

No other college football team has accomplished more than this Utah team did this year.

NONE of those that laugh are fans of an UNDEFEATED team. NONE of those that laugh are 13-0.

The Utes and their fans deserve this celebration.

How about his for a banner?

"2004, 2009 - UNDEFEATED UTAH UTES"

Sounds good to me, and no one else can say it.

• Ute Man
    Jan. 16, 2009 10:02 p.m.

Re: TC

Thanks, good luck to you Cougs as well!

Re: Dragonboy

Come on board, the Utes are on the RISE!

Re: nottyou

You must have our program mixed up with yours....what will be your next "gimmick" to draw fans to games?, "Quest For Perfection II, No This Time We REALLY Mean It!"

Re: Utah

Nah, we're #1, U know it, and I know it, EVERYBODY knows it!

Re: Red faced

Embarrassing? How about getting blown up by TCU? How about getting thrashed by the Utes? And what's worse, how bout getting egg on your face courtesy of the Wildcats? You want to talk to us about being an embarrassment? GET REAL! Your "Quest For Perfection" is the laughing stock of the football WORLD! Memo to Zoobs: Next year don't have a slogan, just come and play football.
    Oh and real football teams don't run fake I'm talking to the sidelines plays, that was so Little League, be extremely concerned 'cause I think your coaches are getting their plays off YouTube......hahahahahaha!
    Oh and, our #2 team, got tons more RESPECT than your so-called #1 "Bo Diddley Tech" team of '84, now that was embarrassing!

• Robert - St. George
    Jan. 16, 2009 10:36 p.m.

Congratulations to the University of Utah Utes. I am very proud of you and what you have accomplished. I am a huge BYU fan, but I am thrilled and supportive of American's Number 1 Team from the U.

• Long Time Ute
    Jan. 16, 2009 11:28 p.m.

Awesome.

• Respect...
    Jan. 16, 2009 11:41 p.m.

After the thumping of Alabama no one refers to Utah a Bo Diddly Tech.

Utah has gained respect on the national stage by beating good teams. No Bo Diddly Techs here.

• Re: Ute Man
    Jan. 16, 2009 11:55 p.m.

The first game you played was against the same Bo-Diddly Tech that BYU played in 1984, except it was against a bunch of freshman. So don't knock the '84 cougars too much it just makes you look bad.

• Re: re: Utah Man
    Jan. 17, 2009 12:38 a.m.

Different years, different teams. And while the '84 win over Michigan was among the best wins for that team, the win over Michigan for Utah ranked only about 7th, one spot ahead of beating byU.

• Big Smile
    Jan. 17, 2009 1:42 a.m.

I attended the parade and it was very cool. I was a little worried that there might be a small turnout being on a weekday at 3PM, but I was very impressed. Both sides of state street were lined 4-5 people deep for four blocks. I got Sakoda to sign my ball hat and it will be a nice little momento of this season. Thanks to the Coug fans that are giving us props. Although I'll always cheer for the Utes in a heads up, I like to see BYU win their non-conference games. Utah will be competing for the conference title next year, but I hope the OC situation works out alright. Can't wait till next year. Go Utes!

• L. Wayne
    Jan. 17, 2009 6:55 a.m.

Why would the University of Utah football team even consider playing the 2nd or 3rd ranked college team in the country?

• Nostradamus
    Jan. 17, 2009 7:02 p.m.

The Utes were perfect. They represented the school and the state very well. As a full blooded Ute I hold no great love for the TDS - but, in the first game of the 2009 season I will be cheering for the boys down south - please whoop Oklahoma - real football fans (with 1/2 a brain) support their school first, then they support the conference.

GREAT SEASON UTES!

• BYU fans
    Jan. 18, 2009 6:48 p.m.

just keep showing envy because big blue has done nothing noteworthy in sports in at least 20 years...your envy is annoying