Utah

Colbert gets a leg up on Chaffetz

Comments

• Consistent
    Jan. 7, 2009 11:45 a.m.

Yeah, he never was much of a place kicker....

• Anonymous
    Jan. 7, 2009 12:39 p.m.

I just remember him immediately removing his helmet after kicking. This was before it became a penalty to do so. I always thought that was pretty vain of him.

• wallofvoodoo
    Jan. 7, 2009 12:47 p.m.

BYU isn't really known for their place kickers. Sounds like a funny segment.

• Mike Ridgway
    Jan. 7, 2009 1:02 p.m.

Haven't seen the show yet but I will say that anyone who's willing to risk a studio encounter with Stephen Colbert deserves credit for the same.

• Herb Gravy
    Jan. 7, 2009 1:09 p.m.

Wasn't he actually using someone else's helmet who had a much smaller head? I believe it was removed not because of vanity, but due to the excruciating pain resulting from the extremely tight fit.

• D Bone Sam
    Jan. 7, 2009 1:30 p.m.

It was a tight fit because of his big head.

• Da Kicka is a joke--
    Jan. 7, 2009 1:50 p.m.

Why would a grown man that has been elected to the United States Congress challenge anyone, let alone a comedian obviously much smarter that Mr. Chaffetz, to a leg wrestle?
    On top of that the entire district should be ashamed that they allowed a Congressman with seniority to be ousted by an immature carpet bagger. I guess thats what happens when you close your primarys and no one votes.

• Embarrassed in Logan
    Jan. 7, 2009 1:51 p.m.

As a conservative Republican, even I am ashamed by Chaffetz. Way to go Dist. 3.

• To Embarrassed in Logan
    Jan. 7, 2009 2:07 p.m.

As a fellow Republican, you really don't need to be embarrased. We both live in the 1st Congressional District, unless you are also embarrased by Rob Bishop. :-)

• Embarrassed in Logan
    Jan. 7, 2009 2:15 p.m.

Oh, Rob Bishop is the absolute cream of the crop. I am extremely proud to have him as a Rep.

I should have clarified that I am embarrassed for the Republicans in the 3rd that voted for Chaffetz.

• c4mackk
    Jan. 7, 2009 2:21 p.m.

Wow, I think some people need to freakin relax! give the guy a little time to show what he can do.

• Easy...Easy Now
    Jan. 7, 2009 4:00 p.m.

It's nice to see that Chaffetz can laugh at himself. There's a million good reasons to criticize Chaffetz but this isn't one of them. Anyone who steps in the ring with Colbert has at least a portion of my respect. Besides, this just might his largest contribution as a congressman.

• Bob
    Jan. 7, 2009 4:14 p.m.

Well, I watched the segment, and it was funny. I moved here a year ago, and can't believe how uptight my fellow Mormons can be. I think Chaffetz deserves the credit for appearing on the show and having a sense of humor! Geesh. Lighten up people!

• Who's the Embarassment?
    Jan. 7, 2009 4:13 p.m.

At least Chaffetz can laugh at himself and know what is comedy and what isn't, as opposed to the likes of Harry Reid, who IS comedy, and doesn't even know it. Ponder that for a while....

• Funny
    Jan. 7, 2009 4:43 p.m.

Living in the 3rd district, I couldn't bring myself to vote for Jason, even though hid did make 49 PATs in a row. I didn't feel it was enough of an accomplishment to warrent my vote. I did think the segment was pretty funny though so if we vote him out of office in 2 years (please let's do!) at least we know he could have a career being the straight man for a good comedian.

• The comments
    Jan. 7, 2009 7:25 p.m.

Wow, I guess the trolls were out in force today. Nothing good to say about Chaffetz, just rehashing his playing days. Which btw, was never mentioned in the segment.

• Dan M
    Jan. 7, 2009 7:48 p.m.

I have yet to watch this segment but I'm a big fan of the Colbert Report and watch it as often as I get a chance.

I have yet to see anyone out-do Colbert and from what was quoted in this article it would appear that Chaffetz faired as well as anyone

• Docendee
    Jan. 7, 2009 9:48 p.m.

Thanks, reporter, for adding the link to the article so we could watch for ourselves.

• T_H_R_O
    Jan. 8, 2009 1:42 a.m.

At least Chaffetz is not so uptight as to refuse to have some fun, even if Colbert's character has a way to embarrass nearly everyone he interviews.

• JMT
    Jan. 8, 2009 5:28 a.m.

While Rome burns, Chaffetz fiddles.

Chaffetz is not a policy guy. He is a marketing guru. Obama is out pushing a $1 trillion bailout, and all Chaffetz can tell the people is how wonderful he is.

This is like State Senator Curt Bramble. It is Chaffetz all the time on everything possible. And did Chaffetz not all but admit he supports tents to deport all Hispanics? Again, he embarrasses Utah with his radical xeonophobia and anti-Hispanic polite rants.

He is also support T Boone Picken's plan to have government spend hundreds of billions on windmills, literally. Almost no serious person in DC is supporting it, but Chaffetz is. Of course T Boone Picken's is a billionair oilman. How many know he has sunk almost $2 billion into windmills? He has and if he can get Washington DC to bailout his industry he will make amazing profits. He managed to get Chaffetz to sign up for the windmill bailout. Doesn't that make our own Chaffetz a rube? I think that's what they call it in DC circles.

By all means, go about promoting yourself Mr Chaffetz. Last thing we need is leadership.

I can't wait for the next election!!!!

• Dr. Luke A Johnson
    Jan. 8, 2009 6:48 a.m.

This is so ridiculous. I can't believe that we elected this guy. The economy is in the tank and all we can do it worry about who can beat who at leg wrestling?

This is the problem with a guy like Chaffetz - he's never seen a camera he didn't like.

WE'VE ELECTED STYLE OVER SUBSTANCE PEOPLE OF THE 3RD DISTRICT!

He has nothing to offer. What has he done in his life? He's kicked balls and been the PR guy for Nuskin, that's it. We're represented by a someone with no context. It makes me sick.

• Give him a chance
    Jan. 8, 2009 7:05 a.m.

Give Chaffetz a chance in office. He can't be any worse than the entrenched "elected" congressmen and senators, who are looking out for our best interests.(wink, wink) Term limits is the only solution....

• Bonk
    Jan. 8, 2009 7:21 a.m.

Actually he only took his helmet off if he made the kick. I recall whenever he missed he left his helmet on...I guess he didn't want anyone to recognize him for his missed kicks...Perhaps he should keep a helmet with him while in office...

• To Mr. Chaffetz
    Jan. 8, 2009 7:24 a.m.

Don't take any of these negative comments to heart. You're going to do great. And thanks for the laughs - we need more in our lives. Lighten up people. Sheesh.

• Too Serious!
    Jan. 8, 2009 8:28 a.m.

Boy, reading some of these comments, you people take yourself way too serious! I'll bet you would be the life of any party! (I you get offended/annoyed/miffed by this comment, then this was directed at you!)

Life has to have humor, Congressman Chaffetz helped provide some, with the assistance of Mr. Colbert.

Congressman Chaffetz has not done anything yet, in office, give him a chance & if great, in 2 years re-elect him, if not, vote him out.

To Dr. Johnson, you can replace '3rd district' with 'United States' & get the same point ... (By the way, I'm not Repub./Democ., I vote for the person that best fits my conscience after looking hard at what they stand/stood for)

AIMHO

• Good for Chaffetz
    Jan. 8, 2009 8:32 a.m.

I think I disagree with Chaffetz on just about any issue you can dream up. That said, I think it's great that he will go on Colbert's show. I say kudos.

• News Dawg
    Jan. 8, 2009 8:46 a.m.

Looks like he handled himself much better than other congressional members who appeared on "Better Know a District." At least he can laugh, have some fun and risk showing people he's a human being.

• Madden
    Jan. 8, 2009 9:07 a.m.

Hey trolls, you are the ones embarassing Utah with your narrow-minded, name-calling comments. Still focused on the guys hair and football days, it's pathetic. (At least some of you seem to have a sense of humor though.)

Since you apparently cannot follow a story, let me remind you that this was filmed MONTHS AGO. As in, before he was a Congressman. While Chaffetz put out statements against the huge bailout and other issues, he was NOT in Washington voting or able to do any legislating at the time. But I guess your favorite boy Cannon did such a bang-up job there right?

• Anonymous
    Jan. 8, 2009 9:36 a.m.

Lighten up, people, and give Chaffetz a chance, he's just starting. Even if his ideas are extreme, they are still better than what Cannon was up to.

• Hello Sweetness
    Jan. 8, 2009 9:45 a.m.

It is sad but half the time I don't think Chaffetz understood Colbert's jokes. That ok, He will fit in nicely with all of the other congressman. "Do you ski?"

• Lighten up
    Jan. 8, 2009 10:03 a.m.

I can't think of many issues where I agree with Chaffetz, but I'll give him due credit for being able to laugh a bit :)

• To Dr. Luke A Johnson:
    Jan. 8, 2009 10:17 a.m.

Style over substance? Sounds like Utah in general and Mormonism specifically. If you don't like what he represents, just look around. Too funny. Style and no substance, Duh! And you even said "we". Congratulations.

• High Country Duke
    Jan. 8, 2009 11:06 a.m.

I was appalled to see Colbert brandish the handgun, point it at his own head, threaten his guest with it, and stroke it affectionately. Whether real or fake, loaded or empty, domedy or real life, that is a stupid way to handle a firearm.

• Dr. Luke A Johnson
    Jan. 8, 2009 11:25 a.m.

Not sure I'm getting the point about the LDS Church and substance vs. style... I'm shaking my head.

Here's the deal. True that Chaffetz is just starting out and I recognize that. I'm upset because we have substituted leadership for someone with no experience with budgets, economy, or context - Utah lost.

People in the 3rd District have someone that just pulled off a great PR stunt - that's it. When Chaffetz won the primary, Utah lost. Like Cannon or not, Utah lost.

Chaffetz will have an almost identical voting record as Cannon with no ability to influence other Members - Utah lost.

Spin it whichever way you want - Utah lost this past election.

• magnus
    Jan. 8, 2009 11:39 a.m.

Oh man, the only thing funnier than the Colbert segment is these posts.

"The guy used to take his helmet off after he kicked...I think it was vanity"

"while Rome burns our congressman is leg wrestling a comedian"

"I was appalled to see Colbert brandish a handgun...that is a stupid way to handle a firearm"

Priceless stuff, really, priceless.

I loved the segment, thought it was awesome, and props to Chaffetz to throwing down the leg wrestling challenge, I'm pretty sure he threw the fight, but props for just doing it.

"Congressman, say hello to Sweetness"

• Removed his helmet....
    Jan. 8, 2009 11:51 a.m.

...after placekicking, 'cos he thought he was cute?

Mr Cheffazz. No. Keep it on. Really.

• John Reynolds
    Jan. 8, 2009 12:25 p.m.

GO JASON !!!!
    This nation needs more like you !!!

• What an embarassment
    Jan. 8, 2009 1:35 p.m.

Are we supposed to like this guy because he leg-wrestles? Do something substantive and I will be impressed.

Sleeping on a cot? Leg wrestling? How is this helping the economy? Chaffetz seems pretty desperate to get his name in the press - yet I have not heard about any legislation that he will sponsor that has a prayer of being signed into law substantial.

When Chaffetz' was a place kicker for BYU the WAC made a rule that you no player couldn't take their helmet off while on the field - largely because Chaffetz would rip it off whenever he had the chance so his face could be seen on TV.

I think news outlets should impose a similar rule now. Don't give Chaffetz attention until he actually does something to deserve it!

• Relax libs
    Jan. 8, 2009 2:20 p.m.

He's a politician with serious ambition. It's only a matter of time before he starts wasting billions of your hard earned money, and then you can be just as proud of him like you are of Hatch, Frank, Pelosi, Reid, and all the other usual freaks in DC.
    Lighten up.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 8, 2009 2:20 p.m.

This member of Congress is an empty suit, a clown. Is he there for his vanity or to help Utah? Note I didn't say "represents" Utah. I shudder to think that he represents the people of Utah.... He can puff all he likes, but he will be isolated and accomplish nothing at this rate.

• Hypercritical much
    Jan. 8, 2009 4:31 p.m.

So let me recap a little bit. Y'all hate this guy because 1)he played a sport in college, which somehow you interpret that to mean that he didn't do anything else for 4 years except kick a ball, 2)he took off his helmets during games, gasp (what an unforgivable sin), and 3)he has a sense of humor when clearly he should be working 24 hours a day (even before he takes office as this was filmed in November)and not do anything, ever, that is not related to fixing the economy and passing legislation.

I mean obviously Dr. Luke A. Johnson only practices medicine and would never be as brash as to attend a ball game, show, movie or even represent his employer in anything that wasn't directly related to medicine. Afterall, he is a doctor 24/7. Clearly, Mr. Chaffetz is a terrible failure because he appeared on a talk show and has not cured the nations problems. Afterall, it is January 8th for God's sake.

Enough of the sarcasm but are y'all for real? Look I don't know if Chaffetz will be a good congressman or not. But at least be fair and real with your criticism.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 8, 2009 4:45 p.m.

Did you heaer him on "Nightside Project" on 1/7/09? He did a fabulous job expressing his stand on immigration, etc and possible solutions. I appreciate that he can be serious, yet still have a sense of humor. I wish we had more people in Congress who, like Chaffetz, take their job seriously but don't take themselves too seriously. Makes me glad Chris Cannon is gone; Orrin Hatch is next on the list.

• It is called Humor
    Jan. 8, 2009 4:49 p.m.

Good job Jason. Way to represent. Anyone who watches the Colbert Report would say that he fared much better than most. Colbert "listening" to sweetness by putting the barrel to his ear while Chaffetz looked on in horror was priceless.

Sheesh, people get a life. This is funny!

• The Real Show
    Jan. 8, 2009 6:56 p.m.

Call me when he leg wrestles Pelosi.

That I'd like to see. Otherwise, its just embarrassing.

• Dr Johnson
    Jan. 8, 2009 10:05 p.m.

Re: Hypercritical much - I actually played more ball for a real college than Chaffetz ever thought of. My college career was much more than just standing on the sideline waiting my turn.

You have to recognize that I've said it's only fair to give Jason a chance here but the message is that Utah lost with this one. If he wanted to do something good for the state he would have run against HIS Congressman in HIS district. Instead he picked on the person he felt he could beat - Cannon. To his credit, he was right but for the wrong reasons. I can't respect that.

• Mike
    Jan. 9, 2009 9:51 a.m.

I'm a moderate (in Utah that's liberal) Democrat who wasn't a fan of Chaffetz's election. But I give him tremendous kudos and say bravo for his appearance on Colbert. It was funny, well-timed and he made Utah look good (as good as one could going toe to toe with Colbert).

Congrats to a new fan (who disagrees with basically every policy proposal he's recommended).

• arc
    Jan. 13, 2009 11:27 p.m.

Congrats to Jason for showing up. He has my respect.

• Jena
    Jan. 18, 2009 11:16 p.m.

I am amazed by some people's comments. I would assume that most of these people have never seen The Colbert Report before. Some of you should have watched tonight when Colbert was rude and mean to this man because of his views on copy right laws. Jason did a good job, you have to remember it is not a real news show. The fact that he even went on was great. If my congressman did that I would most likely respect him more.

College students watch Colbert and John Stewart more than any other news station. Jason was smart for getting his name out there.