Utah

Chaffetz is sworn in to Congress

Comments

• He's your genius
    Jan. 6, 2009 5:02 p.m.

"But there's some Mormon oriented jokes that maybe I wouldn't want my kids to hear." Good stuff. Nice work Utah County hiring your future rocket scientist and all around good role model.

• arc
    Jan. 6, 2009 5:31 p.m.

Re: He's is a genius comments:

Read the whole article, both pages. It is obvious the guy doing the show was telling the jokes, not Jason.

By the way, I think you will find Jason got just about more votes outside of Utah County than inside.

Get a 3rd district map.

• Gregorio
    Jan. 6, 2009 6:25 p.m.

This guy is as dumb as a fence post ( yeah let's balance the budget ). He will prove to be even more embarassing than the usual Utah delegation. No small achievement.

• arc
    Jan. 6, 2009 6:33 p.m.

I for one am proud of Jason Chaffetz. Good job.

• Positive Guy
    Jan. 6, 2009 6:53 p.m.

there is a decent chance he will be an improvement over cannon so it was worth voting him. let's see what he has done 18 months from now before we go off on negative comments.

• Chris J.
    Jan. 6, 2009 6:53 p.m.

I'm excited for him. Too bad I can only vote in Alpine which technically is outside of his district. Don't worry about the naysayer's Jason. Their opinion is worth a pile of nothing, and they don't contribute to society anyways!

• confront
    Jan. 6, 2009 7:13 p.m.

All liberals have is negativity. No matter how beneficial, if a conservative/republican did it, it must be criticized.

Liberals are just sad people.

• Ken Goddard
    Jan. 6, 2009 7:43 p.m.

I donated to his campaign and I don't live in his district. He sent me a nice thank you letter. He may be the only good Utah republicon back there altho I don't mind Bishop. Bennett and Hatch are fossils and should be put out to pasture. Bennett was heavily involved in laying the foundations for the financial meltdown. Hatch has just been there too long as shown by his misguided loyalty to Bush.

• Utah Bill
    Jan. 7, 2009 4:23 a.m.

I supported Chaffetz during the primary - but only because the alternative (Cannon) was such a poor choice. So far, Chaffetz has done nothing to show me he's any less a loose cannon than his predecessor.

The only hope I have is that Chaffetz remains in the minority - which blunts his influence considerably. Then, in the next election we can get a real Republican in there who will show some discipline and restraint on issues.

• L. Clayton
    Jan. 7, 2009 5:31 a.m.

Did anybody see Chaffetz on The Colbert Report last night? It was pretty good, and Chaffetz came off pretty well, except Stephen totally whooped his butt at leg wrestling.

• Cheezy
    Jan. 7, 2009 5:35 a.m.

I'm sorry, but I think the whole cot in his office thing is cheezy and a publicity stunt. Makes him look like a total idiot and a buffoon, and Utah by association. Seems like he's all too eager to clamor for the spotlight and being on comedy shows. Enjoy your 15 minutes!!

• Need a time limit
    Jan. 7, 2009 5:49 a.m.

First commenter is right, we have a fossilied government with fossilied ideas. We need laws regulating how many terms a representative can run for office. Old fossile ideas create fossilized government laws and buddy packs. Too many good ideas and laws get compormised to allow bad laws and ineffective government. We need chages more often in Washington to keep out corruption and the kind of poor representation we have in Bennett and Hatch, now members of the elite group of spendthrifts and brain dead legislators. Their loyalties are to government and not the people they represent who elected them.

Hopefully Chavets will make a serious impact on all the illegals that have inundated america with crime and criminal activities. The actions to round up and deport all illegals was one of his platforms I hope he can followup on. If the illegals could have voted then he would have never made it to office.

• Tim
    Jan. 7, 2009 7:25 a.m.

One day in office and I'm already tired of seeing this guys mug! His appearance on the Colbert Report is only further confirmation that Chaffetz will do anything to get in the news - why else would he brag about how he sleeps in his office to every reporter he sees.

I guess it could be worse, I'm sure NuSkin would have preferred him sleeping on a cot while he was in Australia instead of sleeping other places on the companies dime.

• hypocrites
    Jan. 7, 2009 8:39 a.m.

Isn't it ironic that some people think we need to give Obama a chance for couple of years but can't wait to jump on Chaffetz before he serves a day or two in office?

• Wally West
    Jan. 7, 2009 9:37 a.m.

re: L. Clayton | 5:31 a.m. Jan. 7, 2009

>>Did anybody see Chaffetz on The Colbert Report last night? It was pretty good, and Chaffetz came off pretty well,

• We'll give Obama a chance,,,
    Jan. 7, 2009 10:44 a.m.

...because he's not going in solely to pick a fight, unlike Chaffetz.

Chaffetz has a lot to learn, but it'll be too late before he does. But that's OK, he's only lessening whatever small power Utah ever had in Congress.

• in a sorry State
    Jan. 7, 2009 10:48 a.m.

Chaffetz will be a buffoon just like his predecessor. Why is it that the Right gets it so wrong?

• Frank Castle
    Jan. 7, 2009 10:51 a.m.

re: Ken Goddard | 7:43 p.m. Jan. 6, 2009

>>I donated to his campaign and I don't live in his district. He sent me a nice thank you letter. He may be the only good Utah "republicon" back there

• Chris C.
    Jan. 7, 2009 11:02 a.m.

I wish I would have gone on the Colbert Report... Might have made a difference.

• Spanish Fork
    Jan. 7, 2009 12:27 p.m.

I have opposed Rep Cannon through three elections, and find Rep Chaffetz a pleasant change. I have gotten to know him reasonably well in the past year and a half. As several of the comments say, now show us what you can do, even as a minority member of congress. In the minority he has today about the same influence as Mr. Cannon would have had after 12 years, zero.

Even with zero influence, at least we have a congressman with a sense of humor who opposes illegal immigration. It looks like he has lost his kicking leg since he played for BYU.

• ToeJam
    Jan. 7, 2009 1:26 p.m.

I saw him on the Colbert Report too, and thought it was wickedly funny ... especially how they made Jason look so stiff when that isn't how he is at all! LOL

• Candace S.
    Jan. 7, 2009 1:39 p.m.

I thought Chris was a stellar representative of the 3rd Congressional District. I'm going to miss him representing us. Chaffetz's appearance on Colbert was dismal. He was even good at playing the straight man. I worry about him more than I did, because the Colbert appearance was the least of what he is going to face as our congressman. I worry he won't be able to do the job and I hope, against all hope, that I am proven wrong.

• Kicking leg???
    Jan. 7, 2009 2:17 p.m.

Sorry Spanish Fork-- he was never a first rate kicker and to embarass the State of Utah with his foolish antics with a comedian that was obviously smarter and faster on his feet---- District 3, you traded one intelligent Congressman with seniority) that couldn't talk for a carpet bagger that has no where near the mental abilities that Chris Cannon had and he can't talk either.... It's going to be a long 2 years. Run again Chris!!!

• ELLA
    Jan. 7, 2009 5:05 p.m.

UNFAIR AND NOT WELL THOUGHT OUT COMMENTS ABOUT JASON CHAFFETZ. WHERE ARE THE "THINKERS" AMONG US? JASON HAS NOT HAD TIME TO PROVE HIS WORTH. TIME WILL TELL. GIVE HIM A CHANCE!!!! IT IS OBSERVABLE
    THAT WE THINK WE KNOW WHAT WE DO NOT KNOW. SUPPORT GOODNESS, EVEN IF IT IS YOUNG. PRINCIPLE IS THE KEY, NOT THE NUMBER OF YEARS IN OFFICE. WATCH HIM! IS HE ACTING ON PRINCIPLE? ALL THE OTHER STUFF, THE COT,ETC. IS NOT IMPORTANT TO THE VOTING RECORD. IT IS THE VOTING RECORD THAT WILL TELL THE STORY. THAT IS WHERE WE CAN START MAKING OUR VOICES HEARD. TELL JASON WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT THE VOTE, NOT THE COT STORY.

• arc
    Jan. 10, 2009 8:28 a.m.

Ella,
    I think I understand what you are saying.

If it is that we should give Jason Chaffetz some time before deciding if he is a good US rep, that makes sense. he hasn't even been in a week. He ended up with the same 3 committees as Cannon. He has already made a difference.

The biggest difference is that Rep. Chaffetz listens. He stated he was there to represent Utah and not DC.

I waited 6 years to get someone else to represent us. I thought Chris was good for the 1st half of the time he was back there. I am glad Jason won and is now official.