Utah Jazz: Boozer responds

Jazzman clarifies remarks about his opting out

Comments

• ANON.
    Dec. 18, 2008 6:23 p.m.

Obviously your a Jazzman? A jazz man wouldnt still be sitting out, look at Milsap. You gonna be riding the pine buddy.

• Makes sense to me
    Dec. 18, 2008 6:34 p.m.

I know the feelings for Boozer are somewhat polarized. I have been following the Jazz for 25 years now. This is a great squad(if everyone gets healthy and they get their confidence back). I would love to see Boozer stay and see this squad get better and better.

Obviously, opting out is the smart thing to do. Who wouldn't do that!?! He can definitely resign with the Jazz if it makes sense for both parties. I don't know financially how they do that and bring the other crucial pieces back(i.e. Okur, Korver, and especially Millsap the man), but I hope they find a way to do it. Will be tough......but I will watch with great anticipation.

• bob marley
    Dec. 18, 2008 6:44 p.m.

trade him to new york for david lee or to detroit for jason maxiell. millsap is the future. -roll one for the jazz-

• concerned fan
    Dec. 18, 2008 6:45 p.m.

the Jazz need Boozer, before he was injured, the Jazz were on top 3 or 4 in the west, now were in the bottom, I think not even on the eight spot in the west..the Jazz were 8-7 without Boozer, so it really affects the team as a whole, I admired Millsap for his performance when Boozer was out.. the way I see it when D-Will was out, the Jazz were just fine, but not when Boozer was out..the Jazz need D-Will also, he is great player, but not when he is playing in pain, he is not 100%, he should be in the injured list, i'm talking here long term plan at least to make the playoffs, if D-Will decides to just rest his ankle and sit a few games, i'm sure he can comeback 100% healthy at least for the 2nd half of the season

• Just
    Dec. 18, 2008 6:42 p.m.

GET RID OF HIM!

• Hope he stays
    Dec. 18, 2008 6:45 p.m.

I do think Boozer is an integral piece for this team. This team really has a solid roster. It would be great to keep this squad for a while. I realize that will be tough to do, but I hope they find a way. Someone may have to go, but I am not sure Boozer is that guy.......(I realize it will be costly to keep him).

I agree his defense is a bit soft, but it has definitely been better this year. And his offense is tough to replace. Too bad he got hurt so we haven't been able to see the continued improvement. When this team is healthy they really can be dangerous!

• GoodGuyGary
    Dec. 18, 2008 6:55 p.m.

His talk sounds so familiar...wait, didn't he talk about the same things a few years back in Cleveland?

• On The Fence
    Dec. 18, 2008 7:01 p.m.

Booz is so wishy washy he needs to step it up and be a franchise player, whenever he starts talking about how he is so committed to Utah he never makes it seem like he loves it here. Either he's in or he's out and right now he is leaning the wrong way.

• Grain of Salt
    Dec. 18, 2008 7:05 p.m.

At the end of the day, the Jazz need to do what's best for the team, and I just don't see how they can afford to sign him to more years while still being able to sign Okur and Millsap. And it's best to trade him and get something in return rather than losing him to free agency at the end of the season.

On another note, Cleveland was under the impression that Boozer wanted to stay with them too. I know Deron want's him to stay and may think that his opinion pulls some weight with Booz, but Lebron thought the same thing.

And do we really want to sign Boozer to a long term contract anyway? If my memory serves me, he's played around half of the games that he's been contracted to play with the Jazz. He sat on the bench a lot those first few years and is at it again. I'm just not sure he's worth the money since he's injured so much and sometimes fails to make an effort at defense.

• what?
    Dec. 18, 2008 7:05 p.m.

If I were the Jazz, I would trade BOozer in a heartbeat for several draft picks. Boozer is a great athlete, but I think the Jazz can do better with someone else. 12 million dollars this year, and he wants a raise? Wow!?

• Re What?
    Dec. 18, 2008 7:18 p.m.

Sucked in by a hack. Sheridan adds his own twist to an iterview with Carlos and you take it for gospel truth. You don't hear real well. Boozer just told the Salt Lake Tribune that he didn't say that at all.

• GMan
    Dec. 18, 2008 7:34 p.m.

I have been watching the jazz for over 20 years I dont believe it matters one way or the other if we keep Boozer or not, this team as the ones in the past do not know what it takes as a TEAM ! like the celtics,lakers, bulls,etc to put there differences aside and win a championship. So ship boozer to another team and move on and hope one day the jazz as a TEAM! can win a championship in this century.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 18, 2008 8:42 p.m.

Boozer wants a raise for what. He sits out of games hurt because the wimps hurt more than he plays.

• Idahoan
    Dec. 18, 2008 8:49 p.m.

There is no TEAM in "I'm opting out. No matter what, I'm going to get a raise regardless." This country is in deep economic trouble and this guy says this???

We Jazz fans have had great players in the past and great players now who play through injury. Your gonna make 12 Million and you think your better to opt out??

Ask the 2 million that have lost their jobs in the last 6 months what they think of this guy. I I I I I I I ... no I in Team Carlos.

• RE: GMan
    Dec. 18, 2008 8:51 p.m.

Hahahaha did I just read that correctly? Did you just put the Chicago Bulls in the same sentence as Boston and L.A. as far as title contenders? So I'm assuming you haven't watched basketball in about 10 years? Oh man thank you, I needed a good laugh.

• go jazz
    Dec. 18, 2008 9:04 p.m.

I love boozer. I believe this story more than the story from the national reporter Sheridan. That is how espn works. They want to make a stir. I hope the jazz can keep all the pieces in place and within the next couple years I can see them bringing home a championship.
    Give Boozer a break. He is the only one that knows his body. As long as he is back for the playoffs that is when we really need him. Lets play ball and get all of this behind us.

Go jazz.

• Reality
    Dec. 18, 2008 9:08 p.m.

Boozer has never been a great player. His defense has always been suspect. Yes, he has had good offensive numbers, but at what defensive cost?

Boozer is a very poor "pressure" player. When the going gets tough, he gets lost. He did NOTHING for the Jazz in the last playoffs. He was MIA.

Boozer is injury prone. He has missed a lot of games due to injuries and he tends to take VERY long to heal.

Boozer appears to be more concerned with not bruising his precious body and making a ton of money. Yes, he claims it's just "business", but his attitude seems to be to play as little as possible and take as few risks as possible and earn as much money as possible.

Philosophically speaking, Boozer's about the direct opposite of what John Stockton and Karl Malone stood for.

Do we really want a player such as that on a Jazz team? Let's be real here.

• I hate Boozer
    Dec. 18, 2008 9:18 p.m.

You love him, I hate him. He's a freeloader, doing only what's in his best interest without giving the kind of effort we've come to love and respect in a Utah Jazz player. All that's happened here, the only thing worthy of being classified as "news" is that he opened his mouth and telegraphed his true intentions. Trust me, they don't include Utah in his future because he thinks he's so valuable. Well maybe, but let it be some other team.

• He's expendable
    Dec. 18, 2008 9:39 p.m.

I'd prefer the Jazz invest in Millsap than Boozer. In fact, I say they start working on a trade to get some value out of Boozer before he's gone.

• The best team possible
    Dec. 18, 2008 10:06 p.m.

The Jazz are best with Boozer. Sorry, the record shows it and on-the-court play shows it. Better, depth, better go-to guy, better spacing on the floor - just better. He is hurt. The Jazz believe he is hurt. Financially it makes all the sense in the world to PLAY, not sit. Those who talk don't know, including all of us. The Jazz know more and know basketball better than a bunch of people leaving message on a TBuck story.

• BT
    Dec. 18, 2008 10:10 p.m.

Boozer ought to stop talking (digging), he obviously said what he said, and it will be fruitless for him to try to say otherwise. Boozer is the kind of PF the Jazz need, but he obviously doesn't want to be in Salt Lake, and somewhere along the road, the Jazz ought to accommodate him, or at least, get the most value that might be possible in a trade.

I like Millsap, but he is a tweener, not built for the long haul at the PF position. In time, he will break down. Personally, in a couple of years, I'd like to see the Jazz pursue Chris Bosh and take their lumps in between by not having Boozer.

• Lukewarm fan
    Dec. 18, 2008 10:24 p.m.

Boozer has been an asset for the team.

However, he has been a liability as well- way too much injured time away from playing. He has never tried to become part of the Utah community, just hired help who goes home as often as possible. Waiting for some other employer to give him a better (for him) deal.

He (correctly) sees this as a business and thinks he is worth more, and can legally seek a higher bidder.

Good luck. If sports teams are in any better financial shape than the rest of the country and able to pay people millions of dollars to throw balls through nets, he may get more.

I just hope it is from some other team. Jerry has lots of eager, talented youngsters and they deserve raises much more than Boozer.

He's not a bad guy or anything, just out of step with the Utah work ethic and emphasis on team rather than selfishness. Sorta like Karl Malone before he got that greedy agent and bailed out for the disappointing end to an otherwise stellar career. Karl (almost) never let injuries stop him from playing for the team.

• Jimmy Z Says
    Dec. 18, 2008 10:32 p.m.

Get rid of Boozer the Loozer, this guys is a slouch.
    He is money driven, look at the cars he drives.The
    houses he buys. I say good bye Boozer, does everyone
    remember the playoffs last year he was terrible. He
    had one good game against the Rockets big deal.
    Sloan needs to hang it up also, let Phil J finish the
    season and then lets get new blood on the team.

• Poor Taste
    Dec. 18, 2008 11:15 p.m.

Regardless of what you think of Boozer it is in VERY poor taste to discuss contract or money issues while you are SITTING OUT with an injury!!!

That does not speak well for his integrity or lack thereof.

BT: I would love to have Chris Bosh! I second that! I think all he needs is a good coach and good team around him and he would shine on a nightly basis.

• Disappointed
    Dec. 18, 2008 11:13 p.m.

Get rid of him. There is no silver lining. Everyone knew his true intentions right after we signed him.
    But now we are suprised?

Boozer is about Boozer , and I love how he thinks we all understand. Well Boozer I do not understand to tell you the truth. Life is not about always putting yourself first. I think you are a selfish out of touch person. You did not plan on this happening but it just kind of did? No its called you being selfish and self centered, you have to come first. So sad for the rest of the guys on the team.

You know, Memo and others are coming up for the same thing. Yet nobody else is talking... One thing I have found funny is his injury has always been listed by the team as day to day. Meaning that this is all on Boozer. Its his decision to play and he chooses not to.

• The NIT
    Dec. 18, 2008 11:45 p.m.

Goodbye Boozer - I'll take Milsap in a heartbeat over you - he has talent, heart - and a commodity you obviously don't understand - CLASS!

• Does not matter
    Dec. 18, 2008 11:49 p.m.

if Boozer opts out or not. If he does the Jazz have money to go and get another player at PF who may be a better defender. Combined with Millsap the Jazz will be just about as good on offense and maybe slightly better on defense.

The only thing that matters is that Boozer gets healthy and plays well this season. He is exactly right when he says he would be an idiot for not negotiating to see what his market worth is.

Boozer has about 6 more years to rake in the bucks and then his career is over.

His comments are not tacky. Le Bron James running around flirting other teams is tacky. On the other hand James can do not wrong so it is okay.

I do not understand why Jazz fans think Boozer is supposed to be loyal to them. Especially after all of the garbage they give him. Why not go where you might be appreciated and get a raise? It is a business on both sides. That is why there is a salary cap and it is musical chairs for the best players.

Utah will get someone else and build around DWill.

• Roller Mills
    Dec. 19, 2008 12:07 a.m.

Boozer, in opting out, which he is certain to do, is making the right decision for himself and his family.

• Jazz
    Dec. 19, 2008 12:22 a.m.

Boozer wait a minute you still owe tha jazz 2 1/2 years out of six. Give the Jazz back their mney you are not worth it.

• Trade Boozer
    Dec. 19, 2008 12:42 a.m.

"I agree his defense is a bit soft, but it has definitely been better this year. And his offense is tough to replace."

How is his offense tough to replace when you consider that Millsap is averaging about 17 points and 10 rebs as a starter. Boozer is replaceable specially since Millsap will be a cheaper investment, he's a hustler, and not injury prone.

I say trade Boozer while we can and bring in a inside presence and someone that can play some D.

• kanaka818
    Dec. 19, 2008 12:58 a.m.

Re: Does not matter
    The fans have given Boozer garbage??? What has he given us???
    I love him when he's playing, but most of the time he's not playing. Sort of like former BYU Cougar, now UCLA Bruin Ben Olson. Usually injured and not available.

• Lorz B.
    Dec. 19, 2008 6:09 a.m.

I don't care if Boozer opts out of his contract. It's a greedy game and he'll get his. But he is so gone. I would rather watch Millsap play anyway. He never coasts on either end of the court. If the Jazz are smart they will unload Boozer and his fat over-priced contract and get a good backup for Millsap.

• Loozer
    Dec. 19, 2008 6:29 a.m.

Do not vote Boozer the Loozer as an All Star this year!!!!

• Monty Montana
    Dec. 19, 2008 7:13 a.m.

He gives you a bucket at one end of the court and runs down the floor and gives you another at that end of the court! Lets get together and help him pack!

• Show Me the Money
    Dec. 19, 2008 7:10 a.m.

"I have to take care of my family." Oh, yea, I forgot, $12.66 MILLION!!!! for one year, does a pretty good job of taking care of the family. Who is to fault? Carlos for wanting more if there is more that will come from fans paying big bucks? Yep on Carlos and yep on the fans!

It's a game, and a business, and a profession. If the market says sell out, then sell out. Carlos Boozer isn't your best friend. He's a basketball professional with business and money on his mind. Only a few of the men in the NBA are even minutely concerned with the "fans" they play for. Get real, it is a business, and businesses are almost always all about making money, along with the employees who work for them.

If somebody offered you more than $12 million a year you're lieing if you say you wouldn't take the offer. It's all about the money, and of course, "taking care of the family."

• Anonymous
    Dec. 19, 2008 7:20 a.m.

I would sooner watch AK play any day because of his defense. Offense is where the glory is but defense wins games!

• AGE
    Dec. 19, 2008 7:19 a.m.

I guess:

1. If he was not important to the Jazz, there would not be so many comments made.
    2. The choice is not: Boozer vs. Millsap, but really "Boozer at what price" versus "Millsap at what price"?
    3. Opting out is not the same as leaving but if you want to upset Larry Miller, this is as good a way as any...

• Millsap
    Dec. 19, 2008 7:45 a.m.

What's sad is that Millsap is making a paltry (comparatively speaking)6 figures busting his butt while the Matador (who changes his nickname to The Ghost during the playoffs) sits on the bench with a sore knee talking about a raise to his already exorbitant 8 figure salary.

A smart person, which Boozer is not, would keep his mouth shut about future contract options-even though opting out is obviously the best thing to do. You just don't casually announce that to espn while you're milking an injury and your team is struggling to stay afloat.

• The Jazz are better wth Boozer..
    Dec. 19, 2008 8:01 a.m.

because he can play with his back to the basket and Paul Millsap can't. Boozer backs his man down, commands a double team, then kicks it out to an open shooter. If the opponent doesn't double team Carlos, he just puts it in himself or draws a foul. If we want Korver and Memo to start being effective from outside again, the Jazz must have someone (Boozer) who can play with his back to the basket.

• bill
    Dec. 19, 2008 8:02 a.m.

8-4 with boozer 8-7 without??
    enough said!

• PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
    Dec. 19, 2008 8:20 a.m.

PLEASE get rid of this loser named Boozer Jazz Management. I would rather be the 7 seed without Boozer going in to the playoffs, than I would be the 2 seed with him. Millsap is not the player that Boozer is offensively, but I would rather go into battle with him any day. I DO NOT TRUST CARLOS BOOZER!!!

• HEY BOOZER
    Dec. 19, 2008 8:24 a.m.

WE DON'T WANT YOU BACK!!!! GET OUT OF TOWN NOW BEFORE WE RUN YOU OUT!!!

• No Story
    Dec. 19, 2008 8:30 a.m.

The whole opt out thing is a NO STORY. Everyone familiar with the NBA knows he is going to opt out. If I were him, I would opt out. He has the chance to be secure for 6 years, instead of just 1. He probably will get more money too. Any of you out there that say they wouldn't opt out are LYING. He's doing the smart thing for him...and don't kid yourself into thinking that any other NBA player is a team first kind of person because they are all in it for the money and then the team. Boozer is no exception, so i'm not sure why this is getting so much run.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 19, 2008 8:34 a.m.

Considering the Jazz have only gotten about two years worth of work out of four years of contract from Boozer, maybe they should let him go. I've never seen a guy milk the injury thing like Boozer does. For what the Jazz are paying him, they could buy two pretty good guys to take his place. I like Millsap better anyway. Millsap is a keeper.

• Dan
    Dec. 19, 2008 8:33 a.m.

Yeah, if I should up to work 65% of the time and disappeared in crunch time (play-offs), I would expect a BIG raise to.

• Obviously incredulous
    Dec. 19, 2008 8:38 a.m.

I can't believe I read a comment on here that said Boozer's D was better than it was last year! He fouls more now than he ever did due to obviously lazy feet & obviously slow hands...thus the akward behind the head jumper he has to use! It's obvious this jazz-man has his bags packed & He's obviously ready to roll on outta SLC & go to greener pastures...likely Miami or Dallas or LA...Cuban would pay him, Riley loves him & Jackson's triangle O would use Booze well in place of Odom. Imagine a lineup of Boozer, Gasol, Bynum, Bryant & any point guard you can imagine...rebound central off Kobe's rare misses....and I HATE THE LAKERS! guh! Thanks Booze for the lousy Christmas gift! Obviously you don't have a loyal bone in your alaskan born, tattooed to graffitti-like freakshow body. TRADE THIS TRAITOR BEFORE HE ENDS UP COSTING US ANOTHER PLAYOFF SERIES WHEN HE RUNS & HIDES FROM COMPETITION....Obviously like LAST YEAR!

• SK
    Dec. 19, 2008 8:39 a.m.

Now the Jazz and their fans know what it is like to be "Bamboozered" The only allegiance this guy has got is to who pays him the most green..

• Trade idea's
    Dec. 19, 2008 8:39 a.m.

Boozer and Harpering to Portland for Oden and Lafranze(expiring contract)... Boozer to Houstan for Battier and Scolia... Boozer and someone to Chicago for Gooden, Gordan both expiring contracts and Noah.

• The better keep him
    Dec. 19, 2008 8:42 a.m.

The Jazz need Boozer. He is one of the best power forwards in the league. I love Millsap and want to see him stay as well but Boozer is more important. He is better at creating his own offense and adds so much depth. Getting rid of Booz is a ridiculous idea because who is going to come in and take his spot? Millsap can step up and do a good job but who will back up Millsap? There isn't anyone you can bring in that will give you as good of a PF combination as Boozer and Millsap? There isn't one. You need them both. The only problem with the Jazz this year is that they have had atleast 2 or 3 players each game on the injury list. They haven't played one game with a full roster and they are still in the playoff hunt. I know it is early and it doesn't mean much cause we aren't even 1/3 of the way through the season but they are still a good team that can win games. Just think of what they could do IF they had a full team.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 19, 2008 8:44 a.m.

When Boozer came to the team I really wasn't too happy but my son convinced me that he is a really good player. Now several years later, I wonder when is he a pretty good player. I can sit on the bench and grin; but the doesn't make me a pretty good basketball player. I don't know what is wrong with his leg; but golly how long does it take to heal it?? I would think he should be feeling pretty darn guilty if he had a conscience; which I don't believe he has. Most ball players will play when they are just a LITTLE bit hurt and I think that Boozer is just a little bit hurt. Come on, Booz, get out there on the floor and earn your money. A fant from Evanston Wy

• What a joke....
    Dec. 19, 2008 8:46 a.m.

...we are paying this clown how much?

• see ya
    Dec. 19, 2008 8:53 a.m.

Get rid of Booz. He doesn't want to improve his D. I don't see how anyone would give him a raise. He doesn't give enough effort night in and night out. Although Millsap doesn't have his ability to score...being a PF in Sloan's offense will make him one soon enough and at least he hustles on the defensive end...and did I mention Millsap doesn't carry the hefty price tag?

• Matt
    Dec. 19, 2008 8:55 a.m.

I've lost a lot of respect for Boozer. You can tell he hates it here and is all about playing for the money. He has no integrity at all. It times like these when I really miss Malone and the heart and desire he played with.

• Richie
    Dec. 19, 2008 9:00 a.m.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out Boozer. For $12 mil we have to listen to you tell us you might starve.

• Weak
    Dec. 19, 2008 9:01 a.m.

Boozer is weak even when he is healthy. He can score however has no defense and heart. He is way overpaid now and wants more. He is a discrace to a team that has been blessed with players like Stockton and Malone. Millsap is a better investment

• RockOn
    Dec. 19, 2008 9:04 a.m.

$68 million for 6 years. He's sat on the bench with his "owweezzs" for 1/3 the time. $20+ million for doing nothing. And we wants to explain? Try saying, "I'll resign with the Jazz and the first 1/3 of my contract I've already been paid for."

• True story
    Dec. 19, 2008 9:02 a.m.

He's right...he is and integral injured player for this team, I don't know what they'd do without him?

• Dejavu
    Dec. 19, 2008 9:06 a.m.

As has been pointed out...this all sounds very familiar...let's go ask Cleveland what they think.

• MARK
    Dec. 19, 2008 9:12 a.m.

I completely agree with SK. The only loyalty Booze knows is to himself. Nothing else matters to him. He should simply be saying, heck, he should be yelling....Show me the money!!!!

Trade him now, or let him go at the end of the year. I would rather have Millsap on the court than Boozer because Millsap plays much better defense.

While the team has struggled with Boozer gone, many games also had a multitude of other players out as well.

• Tom Calarco
    Dec. 19, 2008 9:11 a.m.

Boozer is not only horrible on defense and poor at passing out of the double team, but he is also a self-centered, egotistical jerk with little sensitivity for people who don't make the kind of money he makes, all the while not even doing his job. It's bad enough that basketball players make the indecent salarites that they do, but when they feel they are entitled to it and even more, because they are some godly figure on Mt. Olympus, then you can only feel contempt for them.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 19, 2008 9:15 a.m.

I've always liked boozer but I don't think his health and consistancy in defence and scoring don't add up to a long-term deal.

I'd let him opt out and use the salary money to bring in someone more consistant. He is NOT the key element to the Jazz's success.

• Newman
    Dec. 19, 2008 9:16 a.m.

The Jazz have to go for broke this year for a championship with all of the pending free angents at the end of the year. Boozer here is the only way they stand a shot of winning this year. Ride it out this year and then see what happens.

• To Roller Mills
    Dec. 19, 2008 9:25 a.m.

Duncan was the first overall pick, he was paid around 3 million the first-year to 5 million the forth-year.

Boozer was a 2nd rounder and was paid 500,000 the first-year to 700,000 the third-year.

Duncan (like Williams was offered his second contract) Max for 6 (Williams only signed a 5 year contract) first-year 15 million to sixth-year 20 million.

Now Cleveland could have paid Boozer 700,000 the third-year, but they knew they would have to pay him 10 million + at 5 years after that to keep him. They decided to release him from his contract and offer him 6 years 37 million and the Jazz offered 6 years 70 million. He signed with the Jazz. This has nothing to do with loyalty. Every person alive would do what Boozer did (Even Duncan and Millsap).

When Duncan was in his 5th year of his 6th year contract, The spurs offered a 6 year extension around $20,000,000 a year - he signed it

Boozer is in his 5th year of a 6th year contract, the Jazz can offer a 6 year extension at $20,000,000 a year - Boozer would sign it. Now the Jazz won't/shouldn't offer that

• Penny
    Dec. 19, 2008 9:27 a.m.

I have been a Jazz fan for years, and for two years, was a season ticket holder. I am sick of Boozer milking his injury, as he sits on the bench, in his million dollars suits, and diamond earrings, raking in the bucks. He is no Stockon or Malone, who played through injuries for years. Get rid of the leach!

• Old Stink Fing
    Dec. 19, 2008 9:36 a.m.

Boozer is Loozer

• Miami Bound-g 'da
    Dec. 19, 2008 9:39 a.m.

Booz for the much and long needed long, athletic, big man. Millsap(and Harpring in reserve) more than takes care of Booz's position. Time to get a first rounder with youth, size, and appreciation for the Wasatch Mountain lifestyle. Thanks for your years but you have never really been a UTAH Jazz person.

• In 2012, DWill will opt out too
    Dec. 19, 2008 9:42 a.m.

We are all spoiled. Never again will you see the durability of Malone or Stockton. Get over it! Boozer's injury looked as ugly as DWill's ankle. D Will has missed over 10 games too with an ANKLE SPRAIN! Why aren't fans questioning him? And guess what, D Will in 3 years will opt out of his contract also. He structured his contract for 3 years with a player option for the 4th. So watch what you say about how Boozer is only about the money, because then D Will, LeBron, DWade, CP3, Bosh, Melo are all in the same category with last year player options. Do those names sound familiar? They are half the Olympic team. Sports Economics people. Take the emotion of being a fan out of it. Our best option to win is with Boozer and a solid reserve(Millsap). Get rid of cap space and sign both of them. Buid the team around D Will, Ronnie B, Memo, Millsap, and Booz (maybe AK). Everyone else is expendable. Korvers and Miles are a dime a dozen in the NBA.

• Jimmy Z says
    Dec. 19, 2008 9:45 a.m.

GET RID OF BOOZER, That was the stupidest comment
    I have ever heard. There are people losing their
    jobs every day, losing their houses every day, and
    Boozer is concerned about making his next 50 million.
    Get rid of this guy and Get rid of Sloan while
    you are at.

• to Roller Mills
    Dec. 19, 2008 9:45 a.m.

continued
    Not sure what the Jazz are going to offer Boozer. Is he a good a player as Duncan - No but it should be around 15 million a year. If the San Antonio did not offer Duncan 15 million a year. He would have opted out. Duncan and Boozer are not different.

Now you said, "Some athletes, Tim Duncan and a few others, have put self interest aside for the good of the team, to win a championship for the team, themselves and their fans.

Carlos will probably never win a championship, but he will be a very rich man and his family will be well taken care of."

Tim Duncan will make over the course of his career over 230 million - Is that putting his self interest aside for the good of the team.

Boozer has made 58 million so far and depending on what the contract the Jazz offer as an extension. 6 year and 100 million - similar to what Kirilenko got - He will sign that.

It is not Boozer bad, Duncan Good. Duncan/Millsap would do exactly what Boozer is going to do. So would You, Me and Everyone else in this world

• my thoughts
    Dec. 19, 2008 10:03 a.m.

In 2012, DWill will opt out too

My thought exactly, Actually AK is not a dime a dozen. To win a championship. you need 5 or 6 really good players.
    Dwill
    AK
    Memo
    Boozer
    Millsap
    (maybe Brewer)

Everyone else is expendable. You can plug role players from anywhere.

With the Salary cap and Luxury tax you can only pay 3 players max money - you need 3 player who deserve
    max money (Williams, Brewer and Millsap) but are paid like a role player (Korver Harpring, CJ, Price)

• booz to the clips
    Dec. 19, 2008 10:07 a.m.

booz and fes to the clips for camby and ricky davis and a first round pick; I want the camby man in blue. as far as ricky davis, hope he opts out, maybe buy him out; he's the only player on the clip roster, besides jason hart, who can be included, and the jazz wouldn't want hart for a second run, although, it depends, he probably won't be a locker room disturbance, you odn't know with rick davis. clips have to include two players in the trade, which is why you send them fes. A good trade for both teams.
    Clips get someone to work with bd, they unload camby who doesn't fit their philosophy, and vice versa. we get someone who fits the jazz philosophy.
    clips get a young guy with potential, we get some dead weight. the problem is the clips just traded for zbo, which makes you scratch your head, why anyone would make a trade for him. but, if they get booz, they can resign him. zbo is on them.
    now's the time to trade booz. before he comes back.

• Trade him
    Dec. 19, 2008 10:40 a.m.

Now.... Get Chris Bosh. Boozer is a moron!

• Raise?
    Dec. 19, 2008 10:44 a.m.

Does anyone have the stats on how many games played vs. how many games "injured" for Boozer. This is a huge problem. A guy deserves a "raise" for not performing. With all the woes in the economy, he is complaing about a $12 million deal next year and thinks he deserves a raise. Well, for us blue collared Americans, get rid of Boozer! If I was to miss that many days of work, I would lose money or be fired. What a slap in the face. Now tell me Boozer loves the game and not just the money. I can see why Cleveland was so upset. Underperforming, under-hearted, smooth-talking millionarie that has turned into the perfect definition of Greed!

Milsap works his tail off and deserves a raise. Boozer sits his tail on a bench and thinks he "deserves a raise".

$12 million dollars a lifetime for me changes my family life.

$12 million dollars a year for Boozer and he is not "looking out for the best interest of my family...as a business decision".

Trade him while teams want him; he'll end up with injuries like Grant Hill and we will regret keeping him if we do!

• Boozer...
    Dec. 19, 2008 10:47 a.m.

Is from Duke he's destined to be injured for more than half of his career... I was so happy when we got him but now I'm sick of him sitting games out and turning the ball over- I'm with those that would rather keep millsap and memo. Boozer is not worth his stupidity and lack of loyalty. Get something for him C'mon Jazz!!!!!!!!!!

• Boozer/Millsap/Williams/et al
    Dec. 19, 2008 11:19 a.m.

Boozer is an integral part of the Jazz, as is a healthy Williams. Millsap also must be resigned. Miles is also a weapon that needs to be developed. Brewer has promise but looks a little moody as is Miles. Kirilenko is also an asset but has troubling ailments. He causes a lot of defensive trouble for most teams. I can't believe the NBA. I think Charles Barkley has put his finger on the league. There are a lot of "bad teams" in the league./This/a/watereddown/league. There are perhaps six teams in the west that have any kind of a legitimate shot at the conference title. The Jazz appear to be on the cusp of even falling out of the top eight qualifying for the playoffs. Based on what the east is doing, I favor either the top 16 teams in the entire league regardless of/ conference/advancing/to/the/playoffs. The east is so bad, even though perhaps the two worst teams are in the west. If the Jazz are to maintain continuity in being near the top in the west, they must retain the nueculous of their current roster. To constantly turn over players is not the way to go. NONE of the ELITE/players/will/play/in/Utah.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 19, 2008 11:21 a.m.

Boozer is exactly what I thought he would be. Crying inside because he did nothing for the summer olympic team. Than, gee hurt again just like a couple of years ago. Look at those articles and stuff talked about. He is selfish and will have to go through what Andre did. Now Andre is productive again after feeling left out of the jazz and not important. Boozer is no Malone. We looked forward to Karl doing this. He played through all his injuries. But, always wanted to know he was loved. Well Carlos plays through nothing and wants more money and love. Sounds like a soft player to me

• Aaron
    Dec. 19, 2008 12:27 p.m.

I don't blame Boozer for thinking about what he is going to do in the future, but for crying out loud, the last thing us Jazz fans want to hear is him talking about his contract when he is not even playing and the Jazz are struggling. Also, for how much money he makes, he should be smart enough to just shut up and play. You don't hear any of the other players talking about it even though several are in the same position as he is. Come on Carlos, the only thing we care about is how you play and you're not even playing right now. So just shut up.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 19, 2008 12:36 p.m.

Resign for what??? Right now he gets payed $154,390 for each game he sits on the bench. Looks like a rough life to me. Only goes to show most professional athletics can of themselves. Pretty sickening.

• netjes
    Dec. 19, 2008 12:46 p.m.

Trade Carlos Boozer and Andrei Kirilenko to Miami for Shawn Marion and Michael Beasley. Throw in either Marcus Banks or James Jones or smaller pieces.

• Cautiously Optimistic
    Dec. 19, 2008 1:18 p.m.

I see lots of comments about the Jazz record with/without Boozer and with/without Williams. People make this comparison to say that we did ok without Williams, but we can't live without Boozer. This comparison is just a lack of looking deeper.
    When Williams was out, we still had Price and Knight as the backup. Both of those guys are decent veterans and have a good idea of managing the game (Knight is better at that than Price, but Price is much more of an energy player.)
    When Boozer is out, Millsap has had to start because there isn't a better option at the 4 spot. Paul has been awesome, but he is still learning. Given the chance, he will be a 20/10 guy, just needs the minutes. He is getting those minutes, with Boozer out, and we are seeing huge improvement because of his incredible work ethic. that being said, he is only in his third year and still has much to learn. Most any basketball guy will tell you that your starters can't win games by themselves-you need a strong bench. Our bench is weaker when Millsap isn't coming off it!

• My Thoughts.....
    Dec. 19, 2008 1:21 p.m.

BOOZER'S A LOOZER! He has not stepped up to a potential that we thought he could because he is plagued with constant injury.

• Adam Says
    Dec. 19, 2008 1:30 p.m.

Bottom Line is.....The Jazz will NOT be able to keep everyone from this years team. So who do you lose? Boozer is a very good PF in this league. Paul Millsap is a restricted free agent. Whom do you keep? Millsap is never injured and gets you 17 and 10 per game. He will be cheaper to keep also. He plays better defense. Much better defense. So you already know financially you can't keep both. Solution is you have to trade one (Boozer) to get something so you don't lose him without compensation. (Like Cleveland lost him for nothing). Then you have Millsap as the starter and whatever you can get for Boozer. Then we can all worry about the rest of the Jazz that will be free agents.....P.S. Harpring needs to go, love the guy but he's to old and terrible knees. 6 million plus is to much for Matty.

• Anoymous
    Dec. 19, 2008 1:48 p.m.

BOOZER: Stop talking to the media about what you MIGHT do or NOT do. What a lot of double talk coming from you!!! Come on....focus on your injury and get back into playing with the Jazz.
    I swear I've lost all confidence in Boozer, I can't help it, he's making me and other fans feel that way.

• Communication and Timing
    Dec. 19, 2008 1:49 p.m.

Smart business is always supported by GOOD communication and timing.
    Looks like this week Boozer (and his agent) went 0 for 2.

• Golferboy
    Dec. 19, 2008 1:46 p.m.

I like boozer alot when he's on the offensive side of the ball, but when he's on the defensive side of the ball he is very lazy and commits stupid fouls... I would like to see him back in the line up though.. because him starting he will throw in a double double. and then that leaves paul millsap to come off the bench and go to work on the other teams bench.. I say if possible keep both.. but give millsap more playing time.. I think if someone needs to leave utah it needs to be Okur.. we need a center that is a defensive threat for crying out loud..

• Enough is enough
    Dec. 19, 2008 2:09 p.m.

All of the comments about you would do it in the same situation are completly wrong. Boozer is not the only Jazz player who's contract is expiring.
    But he is the only one talking about it.

I call for a boycott and sign waivers at the practice facility tell he is gone. Until us the fans start organizing and putting are money where are mouth is nothing is ever going to change.

I think all the season ticket holders league wide need to organize. And when they, the owners and players get together to negotiate the next CBA we should demand represention. They have obviously lost touch with who is paying their salaries and until we as fans take a stand that will never change anything.

• Calvin
    Dec. 19, 2008 2:33 p.m.

If we are going to keep Boozer I think there are 2 things we need to see when he returns. 1- Better Defense 2- Better job of reversing the ball for the open 3 point shooter. He is TERRIBLE at these 2 things. Millsap is a WAY better passer. It's like when Boozer gets the ball it is "tunnel vision" to score. He is Double & triple teamed & he still goes to the basket. This is STUPID! His ego is too big. He thinks he is more of the TEAM than he really is. Millsap is proving that Boozer is EXPENDABLE! I like Boozer overall, but with Millsap playing like he is, I say trade Boozer while you can for a good valued backup & another player. Maybe a defensive Center for back up or a really good defending guard to stop the Players like Kobe a little bit more. If Boozer leaves that opens up money to use elsewhere. Finally, how the heck are we going to re-sign all of our Players for next year? Go to: ESPN TRADE MACHINE & see what I am talking about. 7 Players with expiring contracts, ALL deserving raises.

• Boozing over Boozer
    Dec. 19, 2008 4:02 p.m.

Boozer is exactly the kind of player I can't respect. Rides the bench when he gets an ouwy and sucks in the playoffs. Trade him for someone with heart while he's still worth something. I'll tell you who the real men are on this team. #1. D-Will. Plain and simple he is the team. #2 Milsap- what a stud. #3 Brewer- we need the athletisism. #4- Memo, we need the size and shooting. #5-Harpring, love the toughness and defense. Maybe Kirilenko for D and Korver for shooting. You can get rid of everyone else. Almond..joke. Collins..who? Knight.. mediocre. C.J. Miles (consider tradability) Ronnie Price.. trade away this so-so Utah boy. And for Pete's sake.. get rid of that slow Kosts Duffas! How many slow, mediocre white guys are the Jazz going to go through? 2nd point.. do you thing Stockt and Malone would sit out games because of a bum finger or stubbed toe. Get rid of those pansies..

• Biggest worry
    Dec. 19, 2008 4:19 p.m.

is that Boozer looks at his next contract as a retirement program. He has been so injury prone and that won't get better with age, most likely after his next contract expires he'll be past his prime, so he'll milk this for all its worth, and won't have any incentive to compete.

• "Fonzie" Lopez, "The Champ"
    Dec. 19, 2008 5:16 p.m.

Hey Boozer, if you have any questions about how to be a real power forward ask Larry Miller for the "Mailman"'s phone number, or better yet tell coach Sloan to play some tapes for you, please Karl if you are reading this call this guy Boozer and tell him what is he getting paid for, Go Jazz !!!!

• Brutal and unfair
    Dec. 19, 2008 5:38 p.m.

It strikes me as crazy that so many people are down on Boozer about this comment. Yeah, you can be down on him for "maybe" not playing, but anyone who's had a knee and leg injury can tell you how tricky and complicated they can be. But down on him for getting what cash he can get? That's just unrealistic. It's not like he's holding out on an existing contract that he signed. He's simply excercising a part of the contract just like it was intended to be available. If he has a chance to opt-out of what amounts to a one year deal and get a raise or at least get a multi-year contract, why in the world shouldn't he do it this summer? He's following the terms of the current contract. It's up to teams to decide if he's worth it or not or if he's too fragile.

• DS
    Dec. 19, 2008 5:41 p.m.

I do not think Boozer is as good as he thinks of his self, he hardly played in the olymoics, I think Paul Millsap is a better player, he has not been spoiled by big bucks and self proclaimed stardum.

• let him go
    Dec. 19, 2008 5:50 p.m.

I like boozer, he's a great personality. He's a great all around player, but he's nothing special. If he had the work ethic of Paul Milsap he'd actually be worth that 12 million per year. But with his history of injuries and choke artistry I would take his guarenteed one year with utah, he's not going to last 6 more years, no team will buy into that.

• RE: GMan | 8:51 p.m
    Dec. 19, 2008 6:58 p.m.

he was refering to the bulls, lakers and celtics dynasties. I guess you have only been watching bball the last 5 years moron.

• trade...
    Dec. 19, 2008 7:05 p.m.

Give him workers comp and trade his lazy butt!

• Caleby
    Dec. 19, 2008 7:42 p.m.

The better keep him:
    Sorry but Boozer simply is not as good as Milsap. He is simply all hype. Poor shooting fundamentals, won't play hurt, won't play defense, why would the Jazz want to keep him? The only thing dumber than Boozer saying that he is getting a raise from $12 million would be if the Jazz actually gave him one. The only thing the Jazz need from Boozer is a good trade, period.

• Re DS
    Dec. 19, 2008 8:07 p.m.

Actually, the time he was on the floor in the olympics, he was very productive. Wouldn't bother me to be the 12th man on the USA Olympic team whether I played or not.

• Boozer who?
    Dec. 19, 2008 10:05 p.m.

Boozer will lose his job to Milsap. The financial savvy Jazz will opt for the cheaper and more rugged Milsap, and Boozer will sign for a load of cash (overpaid, like Marbury) with some other team.

The Jazz won't break the bank for Boozer when they have Milsap.

• To: Brutal and unfair
    Dec. 19, 2008 11:19 p.m.

Honestly, I don't think most are upset with Boozer for simply exercising an option in his contract. It's the TIMING of this that is questionable. At the beginning of the season, Boozer made it clear that he wouldn't be talking about this until the end of the season. He was going to focus on THIS team, and THIS season. Good plan, I agree with it. So, why the sudden change in plans... why, after the Jazz had just GUTTED out the 2nd biggest comeback win in franchise history (while Boozer watched from the sidelines, of course), does an 'injured' Boozer decide to speak to national media on the road?? What, he no longer wants to focus on THIS team and THIS year? Strange timing for such a change of heart. Even if the ESPN reporter DID twist his words (which I don't know if I believe that), why was he even discussing this with the guy? Stupid. Selfish. Bad timing. Disrespectful to the Jazz organization, teammates, and to fans. I expected him to opt out... that's not my gripe. My gripe is the timing and circumstances of the big 'reveal'.

• Ernesto de Bajo
    Dec. 20, 2008 12:56 a.m.

Boozer (well, his agent, I guess) negotiated in the player option to have some flexibility. Sometimes the team negotiates for a team option, which gives the team some flexibility--same idea.

Usually, you don't know when you sign the contract which way you will go on the option. Now that decision time is near, Boozer can evaluate what to do with the option. Since he has become an All-Star player and key contributor to the team, it turns out that his market value may be high enough that opting out of the final year with Utah is his best move. Who can fault him for that rational approach to the business part of the profession?

By the way, the players make too much money and the game tickets cost too much. It's a business and we fans need to exercise the option to withdraw support at the current cost levels to help the game reach a more reasonable financial operating point.

• We need Boozer.
    Dec. 20, 2008 1:14 a.m.

We need to be honest with ourselves. If Boozer leaves this team we will be back in rebuilding mode. He is one of the best PFs in the league. Seriously, why don't we support the guy who has helped carry this team to two great seasons the last two years. We just will not be at that level without Booz.

• Agree
    Dec. 20, 2008 1:16 a.m.

I agree that the Jazz will not be an elite NBA team without Boozer. We really do need Carlos.

• him
    Dec. 20, 2008 8:35 a.m.

We are still a good team without Boozer. However, it's not enough to win the championship. We have many good players this season. But the money cannot afford all of them. We need Boozer this year. But we don't have money to resign him if we keep Memo, Millsap

• RR
    Dec. 20, 2008 9:10 a.m.

Getting a raise? That should be the last thing on these guys' minds. This is why I can't stand pro sports and am a casual fan there.

Incredible!

• BJ Jazzy Rasta
    Dec. 20, 2008 11:46 a.m.

The Jazz will either trade him before the trade deadline this season, or they will let some other suitors name their price in the off-season. I believe the number will be more than they want to pay to re-sign him. We'll re-sign Memo and Millsap and use the left-over money to re-sign Korver and someone to play along side Millsap.

• I'd be surprised
    Dec. 20, 2008 4:57 p.m.

Boozer hardly played in the Olympics

Won't play for the Jazz

Didn't play for Cleveland

I'd be surprised if any team of any caliber would want him.