Utah Utes football: Ludwig leaving Utes for Kansas State job

Comments

• hmmm
    Dec. 17, 2008 3:56 p.m.

downgrade

• rattler
    Dec. 17, 2008 3:58 p.m.

Let's hear all the unsatisfied Ute fans shouting their praises to the football gods.

Dec. 17, 2008 4:00 p.m.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Kyle should bring in Brian Johnson to run the offense.

• Rebuilding
    Dec. 17, 2008 3:57 p.m.

At least Utah fans will have plenty of excuses why their team tanked in 2009. No coaches. No players. No teams. Maybe in another 5 years, they'll have another 10-win ranked team.

• Smart
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:02 p.m.

Ludwig is smart to leave, probably a lot more money and then after the Utes get clobbered by Bama, KSU would change their mind.

• Sell Out
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:03 p.m.

Nuff Said

• Ute fans should be happy
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:04 p.m.

I can't count how many times I've read them complaining about his play-calling.

• NevadaUte
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:04 p.m.

As the old saying goes, be careful what you wish for, because it might come true.

• Ute Fan
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:01 p.m.

Best news I have heard all year. He is too inconsistent in his play calling and I don't trust him. Yes, I know, we are undefeated this year and all is good but we had some very close games because of his play calling. I only wonder/worry who we will pick up???

• The Veg
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:03 p.m.

Utah should hire Brandon Doman as OC.

• San Diego Ute Fan
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:06 p.m.

Best wishes to Mr Ludwig. Let's see if we can trade up on this one. Seems to me the Ute offense was best when BJ was running the show on his own.
    Go Utes!

• Careful what you wish for
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:03 p.m.

because you just might get it. Ludwig has gotten no love at utah. I would have left too. I'm sure his replacement will be more than capable. If a QB emerges in 2009 the utes will be even better than this year, thats a big if though.

• Ute Man
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:08 p.m.

Maybe now we can get someone in there who doesn't call a halfback pass on a 3rd and 1 when we are running the ball effectively.

• Fresh Start Time
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:14 p.m.

I can't say I am horribly upset by this announcement. Even though the Utes offense was tops in the conference in scoring, there were times they looked completely out of sync and some of the play calls were unbelievably wierd. I think Ludwig is a good O-cooridinator but he just out thinks himself sometimes. If Kansas State runs a more simple offense he will do well there. Hopefully whoever Coach Whit replaces him with can either run the spread offense better or taylor an offense to the strengths of whichever QB wins the starting job next year. I for one hope that either Christopher or Wynn gets QB. I'd love to get a freshman in there that can play for a while.

Dec. 17, 2008 4:16 p.m.

Who will they replace him with? I would suggest Brian Johnson since it is highly unlikely he will play at the next level or Brandon Gregg - former OC at Bowling Green. He was OC there under Urban Meyer and was promoted to Head Coach when Meyer left for the Utes. Seems like a natural fit with the spread.

• Utah Man, Sir!!!
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:14 p.m.

Looks like most Utah coaches see an opportune time to bail in a program.

Before the Sugar Bowl Beatdown, and before a 5-7 season next year.

• Good luck Ludwig!
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:18 p.m.

Christmas comes early for the Univ. of Utah.

• Woohoo!!
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:15 p.m.

It's about time he left!

• bye bye
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:17 p.m.

Finally I didn't think that this day would come.Now maybe we can get someone that can actually call some decent plays.

• Darren
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:22 p.m.

It's a Festivus Miracle!!

• S-M-R-T
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:20 p.m.

they should hire John Beck, he'll need a job next year.

• re: Rebuilding
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:20 p.m.

Don't forget another BCS Bowl too. That would make Utah: 3
    BYU: 0

• Kenny
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:20 p.m.

Who is everyone going to complain about next season when Ludwig is gone?

• re:rebuilding
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:24 p.m.

That's funny but what excuse does the y have for NEVER making it to a BCS Bowl game? Zero, Zilch, None etc... GO WILDCATS! GO UTES!

• Brandon Gregg
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:26 p.m.

I agree, bring in Brandon Gregg. He has ties to the state of Utah as he coached at Utah State and Weber State early in his career. Seems like he would be a great fit and bring back some of the spark Meyer gave to the spread.

• Defense
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:24 p.m.

How many points did Utah's defense score to help the offensive statistics? Cougar fans said Utah was cooked when Urban left. Keep hoping and enjoy the Las Vegas Bowl.

Thank you for leaving Andy Ludwig!

• JL
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:30 p.m.

Andy is a great coach and will be missed by the team.

• Roderick
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:30 p.m.

Is this why Roderick stayed?

I agree with having Johnson on the staff down the road. He won't do it right away...he'll have a chance somewhere. He's a good drop back passer. Probably land 3rd string somewhere.

• MEB
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:31 p.m.

More Zoobies commenting on a Ute coaching change. Still jealous that you don't know what it feels like to be a BCS buster? Still living in the 80's when you last had an undefeated team?

So we lose a great defensive coordinator and an average offensive coordinator?? Anderson's a bigger loss than Ludwig is. Neither will have a huge impact upon leaving.

No players? Spoken like a true BYU fan who knows little about the Utes. Most of the top ranked defense is returning. Many offensive players returning. No team? What?

Get ready for another blowout next year - this time on your home field...

• WooHoo
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:34 p.m.

It's about time!!! Now spend some of that BCS money and get an OC with some imagination

• Christian
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:34 p.m.

Brandon Doman should be the first call that Whittingham makes. We would take a great offensive mind from our biggest recruiting rival and the individual primed to the next OC at BY-Who. Great up and coming young coach.

• RE: S-M-R-T
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:41 p.m.

Maybe bring in Alex Smith-Then he can at least earn him money

• Utes Rule
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:40 p.m.

Bring in Boylen.

He's worked wonders with the Utah basketball program, and with a record of 5-4, he won't get upset if the Utes fall back into mediocrity and end up 5-7. He's used to it, and the fanbase seems happy with him.

• 2009 record
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:44 p.m.

Utah 1-11
    BYU 12-0

• Hey
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:43 p.m.

Bring in Lou Holtz as OC.

The Utes are so awesome, he would be thrilled and probably coach for free.

• Ute Coaches
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:43 p.m.

Like rats on a sinking ship.

• re:2009 record | 4:44 p.m.
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:45 p.m.

Who are you calling the 1 in 1-11?

Does SBU have a football team?

• Nathaniel
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:50 p.m.

Thank goodness Utah got rid of Andy Ludwig. If it weren't for his incompetence, Utah would have found a way to be 14-0 by now.

• Utah Man, Sir? NOT!
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:52 p.m.

Funny, first you Coug trolls belittle Utah for not beating teams by larger margins, and now that the reason those games stayed close is going to leave, you think we're going to go 5-7 next year?! Hah!

With our defense coming back essentially intact, I don't see Utah going anything less than 8-4 next year (mainly due to the road games at TCU and BYU), but if we get a half-fast O-coord, that could easily be 10-2 or better.

If I were looking at Utah's roster as a potential O-coord candidate, I'd be foaming at the mouth with all the talent we have next year: Asiata, Louks (or some of the younger kids who haven't played much), Reed, Key, Wesson, 4 of 5 O-linemen, etc. etc. etc.

Go UTES!!

• re:MEB
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:51 p.m.

"More Zoobies commenting on a Ute coaching change."

How do you know they are "zoobs"? Classless still?

I see most negativity coming from Utah fans, and rightfully so.

A little self absorbed, self important today? You are like the 9th grade cheerleader thinking everyone is jealous and talking about her, when in reality, they really don't know she exists.

BTW, I have season tickets to Utah, and am sick of the arrogance of my fellow Utah fans.

• Doman
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:54 p.m.

I like the Doman idea. Utah would be unstoppable with former Cougars running the offense, defense and not to mention the head coach.

I like all the mixing that goes on between the U and the Y. It should be a lesson to all us fans that it's just a game.

I am a Y fan, but I think the Sugar Bowl will be close. I do think Alabama will win, but they will be surprised at how good the U's defense plays.

Utah on the other hand hasn't played a team with the combination of speed and size that 'Bama possesses. We all know how the Utes struggled against TCU's speed.

• Wow
    Dec. 17, 2008 4:56 p.m.

Kyle is forcing out all of his coaches.

He must have a plan.

• Big Rock
    Dec. 17, 2008 5:00 p.m.

Good for Andy, we wish him well. This is a step up to a bigger conferenece and a huge pay raise. I'd rather have some new blood from time to time rather than keeping the same coaches with the same old quest.

• Re: 2009 Record...
    Dec. 17, 2008 5:02 p.m.

Still on a Quest?

• go utes
    Dec. 17, 2008 5:06 p.m.

great maybe we can play kanas aye.

• What's Alex Smith doing now?
    Dec. 17, 2008 5:08 p.m.

Perhaps we'll see him next year coaching for Utah as well

• akk
    Dec. 17, 2008 5:07 p.m.

I love to hear from the Cougar fans. You pop-off and hate on the Utes. 12-0 and second time to the BCS... eat your hearts out. I do hope we get a coordinator that will run Urban's offense. It sounds like all the QB's we have and are recruiting fit that system. With the defense we have returning and most of our offense back we will have another good year. I know the receivers and running backs will be exceptional... I think out O-line will be fine... find us a QB and a better O-coordinator and our offense will be good enough to have us competing at the national level again next year.

• Quest for 10-3
    Dec. 17, 2008 5:12 p.m.

We are nearly unbeatable.

• Bear Laker
    Dec. 17, 2008 5:15 p.m.

I don't hate Ludwig any more.

• Here Cougie, Cougie, Cougie
    Dec. 17, 2008 5:19 p.m.

Gotta love the bitter, angry, hateful Cougies running their pieholes. Jealousy surely breeds some strong hatred from Cougietown.

K-State may be hiring Ludwig for the Utes offensive production. But do they know how much they underachieved? Probably not.

This may be good news in the long run.

• danburtreynolds
    Dec. 17, 2008 5:20 p.m.

I agree with Fresh start.

As for the replacement, I think it will be Aaron Roderick. He has previous OC experience at SUU, knows the personnel at Utah.

• BYU Fan
    Dec. 17, 2008 5:24 p.m.

Oh I bet Utah fans are loving this! They have been frustrated with the play calling all season! Good luck to him at K State!

• Chris
    Dec. 17, 2008 5:25 p.m.

It's Roderick. Think about it.
    Andersen and Ludwig leave and neither Roderick or Sitake take flight.
    It's the young guns at the helm next season for the Utes.

• The Short Bus
    Dec. 17, 2008 5:31 p.m.

Utah would be controlling the conference and making a bid for the BCS every year if they could keep their staff every year they do well. They need to up their salary's. What did Utah make from their football program this year, 3-4 million. That's not counting what they get from the BCS. U, do you have Allen Greenspan running your accounting department. If it werent for Ludwig's geniouse the Utes would have done nothing, because they have no one on offense except casteel and Louie sakoda.

• Raid the Y for an upgrade
    Dec. 17, 2008 5:34 p.m.

The U should pick up a graduate assistant from the Y. That seems to be their best chance to win.

The article said 'similar' job for Andy. He might not even be the OC.

Good luck in the Sugar Bowl. You have a good chance (NOT!!!)

• hhtyuhfghfg
    Dec. 17, 2008 5:42 p.m.

If Brett Ratliff can be the Jets #3 QB, then Brian Johnson can surely stick on SOMEWHERE..
    There doesn't seem to be too many OCs out there looking for work, so I guess Roderick may have to be promoted (yippee, another BYU guy)
    Does anyone know about the OC at Weber? They had a decent offense

• Former Ute
    Dec. 17, 2008 5:45 p.m.

People! Think about it...The Utes avg. 36 points a game...over 400 yards of offense..MWC Champs, ranked 6th Nationally......Be careful what you wish for !! "Everyone" thinks that they can call the offense better than the coach. If thats the case, spend 2 years as a graduate assistant & work your way into that spot.

Give the guy a break !

• Offensive numbers
    Dec. 17, 2008 5:53 p.m.

We had good offensive numbers because we had an experienced offense, not because of the playcalling.

I would contact Steve Greatwood, the offensive line coach at Oregon. He's been phenomenal the past couple of years, and the offense is similar.

• Hero of Canton
    Dec. 17, 2008 5:54 p.m.

I guess when you take care of things off the field sometimes the Lord blesses you and miracles happen on the field.

Thank goodness Ludwig is gone, the defense is the sole reason we are 12-0 this year. Without an incredible defense we are 7-5, 8-4 easy.

• uteowl
    Dec. 17, 2008 5:57 p.m.

Yeah we're 12-0 INSPITE of Ludwig, not because of him. Living in Oregon and seeing the magic he worked at the UO (not) made me leary of this hire in the first place. Several of our games this season were won by the D rather than by the O.

You TDS fans are a hoot. Can't keep your eye off (or keep your mouths from running about) your "little brother" can you? Just a tad jealous that we've had success this year when it was supposed to be YOUR big year right? Enjoy the Vegas Bowl and quite possibly your win.

Win or lose I'm going to enjoy January 2nd sitting with a bowl of popcorn. Hopefully I'll be eating it rather than throwing it at the TV because of Ludwig's goofy play calling. At least we're playing a meaningful game.

• Cooked
    Dec. 17, 2008 6:02 p.m.

"Cougar fans said Utah was cooked when Urban left."

Cougar fans were right. Utah tanked for 3 years after Urban left.

• 1st & goal
    Dec. 17, 2008 6:02 p.m.

Bring in Chico Canales. Kyle & Chico are old friends from their days as G.A.'s at BYU.

Chico will put up some serious numbers and wins!!

• for the record
    Dec. 17, 2008 6:01 p.m.

Its all Good!

I have all the faith in Kyle. He will pick a great OC as well as a great DC. Utah will be faster, stronger and smarter than the team down south.

We have great kids with great heart. They play a complete 60 min. game and never give up regardless of how hard the battle is.

I think the fans are great and are in the game for better or worse unlike those blue fans down south who boo their own QB when he makes a couple of mistakes due great defence presure.

Well Be Just Fine its BYU I worry about, Utah needs someone to push us, I am not sure now that the quest failed that BYU will ever be able to come back, it was such a blow to their program to fail!

Go Utes!!!!!

• Bitter and Angry
    Dec. 17, 2008 6:04 p.m.

It's what Utah fans do best.

• Mechanica
    Dec. 17, 2008 6:07 p.m.

"Utah tanked for 3 years after Urban left"

Due mostly to injuries and youth. Also there were far more drastic changes in coaching staff that year. I don't think Utah will have an '04 or '08 caliber team next year. But hey might the year after...and they will continue to be the benchmark for MWC Football.

• Mechanica
    Dec. 17, 2008 6:10 p.m.

Bitter and angry? LOL really? Im grateful and excited. I love my Utes.

All the comments seemingly from Y fans about how bad they think the utes will be next year...and its Utah fans that are bitter and angry?!?

hmmm...doesn't add up.

• BCS...
    Dec. 17, 2008 6:15 p.m.

This just shows how ridiculous the BCS "Big Money" system is. The Utes are clearly the better program, but money talks. Money power created by the BCS.

• YEWTopia
    Dec. 17, 2008 6:24 p.m.

• Re: Cooked
    Dec. 17, 2008 6:27 p.m.

Utah tanked? Wins of 7, 8, and 9 in consecutive years and top 1/3 of conference and you're calling it tanked?

• Anonymous
    Dec. 17, 2008 6:28 p.m.

finally!!! good ridence!

• GoUtes
    Dec. 17, 2008 6:34 p.m.

Ludwig haters got their wish. The man who coached the Ute offense to an undefeated season will be working at K-State next year.

• Smart for Ludwig
    Dec. 17, 2008 6:35 p.m.

It's a great move for Ludwig if HC is what he wants. Snyder may not be there long. If he can return them to prominence then it could be Ludwig's job for the taking once he leaves again.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 17, 2008 6:46 p.m.

"Yewts will have as many quality BCS wins as the cougars do. - NONE. Pitt does not count and Bama will be embarrasing. So keep the trash coming, but at least I can wear my byu hat the day after the game- y'all will need to go into seclusion."

• True red
    Dec. 17, 2008 6:58 p.m.

How about raiding one of the co-OC's at Tulsa to replace Ludwig. Now they know how to run a spread offense!

• Anonymous
    Dec. 17, 2008 7:01 p.m.

I like a lot of names which have been mentioned.

Chico Canales
    Brandon Doman
    Steve Greatwood
    Brandon Gregg
    Brian Johnson

Yes, Brian Johnson. He understands the Ute offense and in my opinion, did a better job when he was allowed to call his own plays.

My top choices, however, would be Greatwood or Gregg. However, any of them will likely be a better coordinator than Ludwig was. A lot of Andy's calls just didn't make any sense.

• TucsonUte
    Dec. 17, 2008 7:04 p.m.

1st & goal | 6:02 p.m. Dec. 17, 2008

Are you out of your mind...Mike Canales? He was the U of A OC for about 3 years and their offense was HORRIBLE for most of it!

Ludwig was either hot or cold with his offensive play calling. Never consistent that is for sure! Good luck to him at K-State.

• Ludwig Leaving
    Dec. 17, 2008 7:04 p.m.

Xmas did come early this year.

Next year we'll put 60+ on BYU...no wonder so many Zoobs are on here posting.

• K-State Fan
    Dec. 17, 2008 7:09 p.m.

Bill Snyder invented the spread and taught Urban Meyer. Florida's offense is Bill Snyder's offense. Snyder will call all plays and Ludwig will learn.

• Big Balla -- Shot Calla
    Dec. 17, 2008 7:25 p.m.

Bring back ex-Ute O-Line Coach-- Keith Uperesa

• Boylen!
    Dec. 17, 2008 7:31 p.m.

Get Boylen to do this. Him or any of a large number of BYU football players, heck more than half our staff is from BYU. Raid the Y! Promote Boylen! Go Southern Baptist!

• Re: YEWTopia
    Dec. 17, 2008 7:29 p.m.

So by you logic The Utes have as many "quality" national championship wins as byu....none. A win over a 6th place in the conference Michigan team doesnt count. Just going off your logic there buddy.

• post
    Dec. 17, 2008 7:31 p.m.

I don't know who is posting more.

Kewgs or arrogant yewtes claiming there are kewgs posting.

• Well.....
    Dec. 17, 2008 8:11 p.m.

it just goes to show that the Utes is a gold mine right now. The best of luck and I'm sure a replacement will be just as good or even better.

Go Utes!!

• Purple Ricker
    Dec. 17, 2008 8:12 p.m.

You guys need to have a reality check! It doesn't matter what school you are or what conference you are in . . . having an undefeated season is special no matter how much you may hate some of your coaches, players, mascots, cheerleaders, bus drivers, shoe strings, smell of the air, etc.

I am happy to get Ludwig to come coach for us at K-State. Even if he's as bad as y'all say he is, you're still RANKED IN THE TOP 10 so you should be happy instead of angry.

Believe me, it is so much easier to fall out of the Top 25 than it is to get back into the Top 25... not to mention the TOP TEN!

• Re: 2009
    Dec. 17, 2008 8:18 p.m.

You must be having a nightmare.......LOL!!

Oh I get it......Wishful thinking huh?

• How about
    Dec. 17, 2008 8:20 p.m.

Robbie Bosco? Kyle should give him a call.

• U MUST BE KIDDING
    Dec. 17, 2008 8:35 p.m.

Robbie Bosco!? NO, NO, AND, NO!!!!

• guy dude
    Dec. 17, 2008 8:35 p.m.

Utah...you guys are awesome!

• Nutty Zoobs
    Dec. 17, 2008 8:33 p.m.

You BOO-gars crack me up.

The Utes go undefeated and other schools offer money and/or promotions to lure away coaches who have contributed to the success. Ever heard of D-1 football. That's kinda how the system works.

But, no, no understanding of what's really going on leads to brilliant comments about rats jumping a sinking ship, people getting out while they can, the Utes going 1-11 next year, and my dad is bigger than you dad (or, at least, he will be next year in Provo), etc.

You guys are geniuses, for sure, that's all I can say.

• Ernest T. Bass
    Dec. 17, 2008 8:52 p.m.

I'm kinda mad that nobody ever wants my beloved cooger coaches.

• WHATEVER
    Dec. 17, 2008 9:08 p.m.

"If it werent for Ludwig's geniouse the Utes would have done nothing, because they have no one on offense except casteel and Louie sakoda."

Now that's funny, BYU getting a beat down by a no name team just makes 48-24 even more sweet.

Ludwig is a genius OF coordinator as much as you are a genius in knowing how to use spell check.

• To: YEWTopia
    Dec. 17, 2008 9:08 p.m.

Oregon State counts as a "BCS win". Beating a team that beat USC has to count for something!! Educate yourself a little before popping off like that. That win was just this year.

Good luck Ludwig-- I am excited for some new blood though.

• Ute fans..
    Dec. 17, 2008 9:43 p.m.

Utah fans wre upset with this guy all year and he had 12-0 record. You guys will be mad he is gone next year.

• GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!
    Dec. 17, 2008 9:47 p.m.

I think the assistant coaches are bailing out now before the rest of the country finds out the Utes are a sham. Let's face it: the Utes will get steamrolled by Alabama.

Kyle, this is your chance!!!! GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!

• True Ute
    Dec. 17, 2008 10:07 p.m.

Ludwig owes Johnson a big fat signing bonus because without him taking over on the two minute drills and calling the plays himself Ludwig would not have a 12-0 record.

• Only in the MUSS
    Dec. 17, 2008 10:11 p.m.

"Oregon State counts as a "BCS win"."

So OSU at Utah is now considered a BCS Bowl?

• Ludwig wasn't great but ...
    Dec. 17, 2008 10:35 p.m.

He wasn't bad either (and not nearly as bad as many Ute fans think). Good, innovative offensive coordinators are hard to come by and many excellent position coaches just don't have the overall insight and creativity to design and run the entire offense. Although much of the criticism of Ludwig is valid, don't expect his replacement to be an upgrade.

• Just wondering
    Dec. 17, 2008 10:36 p.m.

If Mike Sanford gets fired as UNLV's head coach would he be interested in coming back?

• How about
    Dec. 17, 2008 10:48 p.m.

Gary Crowton or Norm Chow?

• re: Rebuilding
    Dec. 17, 2008 10:54 p.m.

What do you mean a 10 win team?!? That would be BYU, we are a 12 win team. Can you count to 12? I know you didn't really need to this year, but give it a shot... I'll wait while you take your shoes off.

• Funny
    Dec. 17, 2008 11:06 p.m.

"I will still be wearing my ute hat, but not while I'm in Provo...I tried that a few weeks ago but I kept getting hit right in the chest with footballs. I guess max was at practice."

Probably the funniest comment I have ever read.

On a real note, Whit and staff take over a team that graduated a bunch of guys, so basically they start fresh...They go from 7 wins, to 8, to 9, and now 12 with another BCS busting game...Call it coaching, call it experienced players, call it what you will...but when all is said and done, Utah coaches should be thanked for their part in helping to build the program back up again...

Whether we win or lose come Jan. 2, it will be great being there cheering on my Utes...

10-2 every year is good from our "big brothers" down south, but maybe something should be done about the coaching that hasn't improved the team at all...BYU has just as good players as the U (I would say better the last 3 years, and Utah was the better team this year) but they never seem to live up to the potential...

• Support The Family???
    Dec. 17, 2008 11:07 p.m.

I am not sad to lose Ludwig. The O seemed to only play well for more than a half 3 times this season. The Utes dodged a bullet the way the inconsistent O did not bite them.

However, saying that he took the job to enable him to take care of his family is ridiculous. Wasn't he pushing 200K at the U? I'm thinking I could manage to take care of the family on that.

See ya, Andy. Feel free not to get overly conservative with the lead on Bama. Peddle to the metal for 60!! 28 on the Tide and it could be game over.

• Chill Out!
    Dec. 17, 2008 11:11 p.m.

Who are all these hateful cougar fans? I guess I'm missing something. Bitter? Don't think so. Angry? What about? Jealous? Don't think so. Three 11 win seasons in a row. I'll take that any time. Next year is looking really promising. I can't wait for the fall.

Good luck to the Utes next year!

Should be interesting how BYU and Utah rebuild next year. By the way, The Quest for Perfection had nothing to do with going undefeated, but a quest for the players to perfect their position mastery.

• Oregon
    Dec. 17, 2008 11:22 p.m.

Good riddance, although in a business where building relationships through your coaching network I find it hard that Kyle can call on the services of a talented Off Coord. Who does he know?! All of his coaching career in Idaho and Utah does not give me confidence that we are going to get a winner. I'm sorry Kyle, but you were lucky to have talented kids even though underachieved played through the offensive mess that Ludwig taught.

• cougs
    Dec. 17, 2008 11:27 p.m.

To all the cougs fans commenting on the board, you should just be satisfies with your las vegas bowl and leave the real talk to the big boys. AND FYI when your a successful program like the U it creates jobs for other coaches. The truth is no one wants any Y coaches because they are all terrible starting with Bronco

• Yners live in a time Machine
    Dec. 17, 2008 11:45 p.m.

To all those Yner fans who seem to live in a time Machine that moves back and forth from 1984 to "next year". . . get a life. After a strong 3rd place finish and a combined LOSING score of 80 to 31 vs. Utah and TCU it seems that you'd have more to yap about than any Ludwig. GOOD LUCK Andy and Thanks!

• Good luck
    Dec. 17, 2008 11:56 p.m.

Good luck to him. Utah was never know for a consistent offense, it was their defense that won them so many games, so hopefully the Utes can get even better on offense next year? Does not sound like he will be greatly missed by Utah fans, so no wonder he left. I think he left Oregon before they threw him out of town also.

• re: cougs
    Dec. 18, 2008 12:10 a.m.

Yeah kinda funny how your coach was a Y coach and your new d-coordinator.

• JamesUte
    Dec. 18, 2008 12:14 a.m.

And the Trolls catch a couple of fish. It is amazing that some of us continue to take the stink bait.

• Lavell Edwards
    Dec. 18, 2008 12:27 a.m.

should be called on a humanitarian mission to be OC and the Utes won't even need to pay him......LOL!

• Gladness!
    Dec. 18, 2008 1:57 a.m.

I'm glad Ludwig is going. The points per game were a result of a dominant defense, not explosive offense. The PPG stats are misleading. Kyle didn't give Ludwig a raise before this year and he did give Anderson an increase. I think that speaks volumes about the lack of confidence in Andy's system.

In the long run, we'll end up with a better OC who runs the spread the way it was intended, not the schizophrenic hybrid Ludwig has been running the last few years.

I wish Andy well and hope he has success. He is a great guy and a decent coach, but expectations will be lower at K State and he has a chance to move into the HC position there.

As for all you TDS fans displaying your Ute envy once again, I don't see too many teams raiding your coaching staff. I guess Max's 6 turnovers didn't impress too many schools looking for an OC.

• former Ute
    Dec. 18, 2008 2:48 a.m.

It is unbelievable to me how critical some are of Andy Ludwig. He has a great track record as an OC (dominant at Fresno State and CONSISTENTLY good throughout his career). I am sick and tired of reading all of this negative stuff about him. The Utes haven't had a really talented offense since Ludwig has been here, yet the Utes have always had a formidable offense. Didn't this article say that they led the league in scoring? Who do you guys suppose that falls on? I read someone on this board say that the Utes are better when Brian Johnson is calling the plays. How do you know when he is calling the plays? A college qb may audible a few times a game, but those are pre-determined audibles, set up by the OC in advance- that the qb is supposed to make when he sees a certain look from the defense. So, essentially, BJ is never calling the plays. I'm sure that you assumed BJ was calling the plays in the "no-huddle," that's not true. The Utes go into each game with designated two-minute-game plays that they can flash to BJ from the sideline.,,

• Common Sense
    Dec. 18, 2008 2:48 a.m.

Ute and cougar fans are both hilarious. You guys both talk like the mountain west is big time football (what a joke). BYU has beaten no one and utah beat a completely overhyped oregon state team at home who was 2 and 3 at the time. TCU is vastly overrated and it cracks me up. Remember people we play in the Mountain West a 2nd tier conference, lets get some perspective. TCU has played 1 quality opponent this year and was down 28 to 0 before i could blink. Just be grateful that the utes got a gift invitation and they have the rule you can't take 3 teams from the same conference to a BCS game.

• Former Ute
    Dec. 18, 2008 3:02 a.m.

You guys don't know what you're talking about when you say that BJ calls better plays by himself. Those calls are still coming from the booth, they are just hand signaled in. Ludwig is a good OC and was never appreciated. It reminds me of the Norm Chow situation. I'm not saying that Ludwig is Chow, I'm just saying that he is under-appreciated.

• Striker
    Dec. 18, 2008 4:07 a.m.

He clearly cared only about $$ and not Utah. The only reason Utah succeeded was because of veteran players. Losing big time coaches and big time players will equal a bad season next year. The DC is totally distracted doing something he appears to want to do more. With all these coaches going everywhere, no one will be focused. Sorry, but Utah will not even get close to beating 'Bama.

• Wow!
    Dec. 18, 2008 7:31 a.m.

A stagnant offense will become worse!

• To Common Sense
    Dec. 18, 2008 7:43 a.m.

You're a singular voice of reason in a vast, barren wilderness.

• KSU Fan
    Dec. 18, 2008 7:47 a.m.

I'm happy to see Mr. Ludwig come to K-State. By the sounds of the fans here he was underappreciated at Utah. He will finally get the pay he deserves at a BCS school with potential to play the big-boys. Looking forward to seeing him under Coach Snyder. Go Cats!

• 115 posts
    Dec. 18, 2008 7:49 a.m.

30 by BYU trolls, and 70 by arrogant Utah fans complaining about the trolls. Have we finally sunk that low, Utah Brothers.

I do not feel comfortable going into a BCS Bowl game with an OC and DC who are coaches at other schools.

It's like the year Steve Fisher took over at Michigan and won the NCAA's on an interim HC basis, because Bo Schemblecher, then the AD wanted a Michigan Man coaching his team.

Sure they want to finish what they started, but bring up a hungry Assistant and let them prove themselves. They know the system.

I really dont want our BCS ruined by the OC at Kansas and the HC of Utah State. Letting them coach is a real mistake.

• SECorBust
    Dec. 18, 2008 7:55 a.m.

The coordinators leaving Utah will have little effect on the outcome of the Sugar Bowl. The same game plan will be instituted, the players will play with the same fire and basically the same plays will be called. If it were the head coach leaving it would be different. When a program succeeds and the coordinators get raises, promotions, or better job offers it makes them easier to replace than if they are fired. I look forward to seeing the Utes clash with the Crimson Tide.

• BBF
    Dec. 18, 2008 8:01 a.m.

If you Utah fans want to join the big boys you have got to get over being CHEAP!!!

• Dutchman
    Dec. 18, 2008 8:17 a.m.

Coach Whit will be consulting with Urban Meyer on this hire. Urban is always the Utes ace in the hole. I am sure Urban knows of some great talented coaches that would love to work at Utah.

• LOL get a life
    Dec. 18, 2008 8:44 a.m.

I read a story about BYU, and the comments are filled with Yewt trolls running their mouths. Then I read one about Utah, and the Zoobie trolls abound. You all need to get a life, and realize your interdependence. Both would have better programs if you would save your animosity for the week of the big game, and root for each other the rest of the time. Of course, that would be a little much to ask.

• Scott Mitchell
    Dec. 18, 2008 9:04 a.m.

should be on the staff somewhere, maybe not as a Cordinator but at least be the QB coach.

How about Coach Dupaix at Skyline High? I think he would do well at the College level.

• Frank Castle
    Dec. 18, 2008 9:04 a.m.

The Utes next OC s/b Steed Lobotzke currently at Wake Forest JMO.

As for Ludwig, he can take his inconsistency & indecisiveness to Buddokhan, Kansas... I can safely say that having been to Manhattan where is KSU is.

I wonder; is Norm Chow @ UCLA? If not, he can always return to his alma mater.

• U of U=DOORMAT!!!
    Dec. 18, 2008 9:08 a.m.

WOW!!! Utah has become the new doormat of coaching!! What ever happened to loyalty?!...oh wait but we can make ourselves feel better by saying we're breeding great coaches!!...I'm so glad we were graced with that Urban Myer for 1 YEAR!

• Re: Dutchman
    Dec. 18, 2008 9:09 a.m.

Like a Graduate Assistant from Florida?.....LOL!

• Dreamers
    Dec. 18, 2008 9:09 a.m.

You people are amazing.
    Norm Chow?
    Gary Crowton?
    Brandon Gregg??

All have better jobs now than this one will ever be. Why would any of them want it? Some of you have no connection with reality.

• It's too bad
    Dec. 18, 2008 9:13 a.m.

Whatever people's complaints about any of the coaches, it's too bad that a group that has become so successful has to disband.

I'm not a fan of Utah, but it's sad that such a great year has to be answered with big coaching questions for the next.

• Queen Louie
    Dec. 18, 2008 9:21 a.m.

Sorry guys it doesn't look like 'Bama is going to let you guys hang around so QUEEN Louie can come and bail you out....Your offense is actually going to have to pull its own weight because I promise "Bama's offense isn't going to turn the ball over and let you're defense score 3 or 4 times.
    Utah's Hi-powered offense = the defense needs to score atleast 4 times(You guys have read the stats right, that you're defense has almost as many points as your offense...that's not a compliment). Utah doesn't have a offense and it will be great to see the boys down South stuff you guys all game. This won't be like playing PITT!
    UTAH: 12 (all queen louie's)
    Bama: 50

• Ludwig in the Sugar Bowl
    Dec. 18, 2008 9:28 a.m.

Does he have to coach in the Sugar Bowl?

As for the BYU fans commenting on next season, good luck slow guys.

• Re: Dreamers
    Dec. 18, 2008 10:04 a.m.

I agree that Chow and Crowton have better jobs now and would most likely not come back to Utah as OC. However, Brandon Gregg was let go as HC of Bowling Green in late November. Why do you think his name is coming up? He is also on the short list for the OC at Virginia. Get a clue buddy! He has experience with the spread and I would bet it would be more similar to Urban's style of the spread which is what was so successful in 2004.

• RE:115 Posts
    Dec. 18, 2008 10:04 a.m.

LOL, you can't even add at Utah? 30+70=100 for most folks. Course, you guys all know better because you've won your way to the rights to be known as reincarnation of Hawaii at this year's Sugar Bowl blowout.

• Coaches
    Dec. 18, 2008 10:08 a.m.

I'm a BYU fan but something sticks out to me as quite telling in all this coaching hoopla. Utah's coaches are dropping like flies for better offers (At least more $$$, not so sure about the "better offer" part - Andersen) while a recent article said BYU's coaching staff is staying put for next year.

I might be wrong but I'm guessing Utah's coaches are all getting offers for more $$$ because they're not too shabby. Does that say anything about our coaches not getting better offers???

Just thinking...

• Happy at last
    Dec. 18, 2008 10:38 a.m.

Does this Kansas State have a mental disorder? Ludwig is a boring coach. This season when the team need to drive they went to no huddle thus removing Ludwig from the equation. BANG! Success! Perhaps he won't be calling the plays. I guess he designed a good offense, but he can't run it. I don't think he was even watching the game when he made his calls.

All that being said, best of luck to you Andy. Every time I see someone run a 2 yard out on 3rd and 18 I'll think of you.

• another ksu fan
    Dec. 18, 2008 10:35 a.m.

Some at KSU thought the team needed a coaching change... so out went Snyder and in came 2 years of pitful football.

Careful what you wish for Utes. You may wish you had him back some day.

• Zoob Squad
    Dec. 18, 2008 10:44 a.m.

Isn't it funny how much the Zoobie Patrol comes out in force when Utah has success and their coaches are truly in demand (unlike the TDS)? Utah's assistant coaches aren't poorly paid, though they can make better money elsewhere, just like BYU coaches if they were truly in high demand.

Then they run their smack about getting destroyed by Bama with no basis in reality, statistics or facts to justify such a ridiculous claim. Even most of the BCS national pundits agree that the Sugar Bowl will be very competitive.

The Zoob train, complete with hatred and envy of Utah's success, has left the sanity station and let their frustration of never getting to the BCS cloud their judgment even more than it normally is.

Utah will be very competitive in the Sugar Bowl and next season. Andy Ludwig was not a phenomenal signal caller, anyone who watched the games every week could see it. Any OC Utah hires will run the spread and have good players to run it.

Zoobland, go back to your cages and quit frothing at the mouth.

• Alex Trebek
    Dec. 18, 2008 10:52 a.m.

Just another sad commentary on the yewt program. It is a sinking ship and the rats are getting off of it as quickly as they can! Why would you leave the storied program of yewtah, twice the BCS busters, to go to a bottom-feeder in the Big 12 where you will virtually never have a chance at a conference title playing against the likes of OU and UT? Maybe Ludwig knows something about Whit and his program that we don't. Looks like the Titanic has hit the iceberg...

• AJ Rimmer
    Dec. 18, 2008 11:11 a.m.

re: Alex Trebek | 10:52 a.m. Dec. 18, 2008

>>Just another sad commentary on the yewt program. It is a sinking ship and the rats are getting off of it as quickly as they can!

• Re: Queen Louie
    Dec. 18, 2008 11:09 a.m.

Get a life zoobie. Did you happen to notice that Utah's offense averages 405 yards per game? FYI, the defense doesn't contribute to those numbers.

Ludwig is a terrific offensive coordinator that has had excellent success throughout his career. Andersen has had the same success. Congrats to both!

Utah will represent the MWC just fine. The game will be close and the Utes defense will match up very well with the Tide offense. Anyone that thinks it will be a blowout is probably a Utes hater from the bubble.

SEC teams sit home during non-conference part of schedule playing 7 or 8 home games. Put them on the road for half their games like other conferences and they wouldn't be sitting so firmly on top of the bcs world. I'd like to see college football require every team to play six games at home and six games on the road.

I'm tired of seeing bitter Cougar fans jumping on the "Tide" bandwagon. I've had season tickets at Utah for over 20 years (both football and basketball). I have NEVER cheered against BYU when they play in bowl games, NCAA basketball tourney or against BCS teams.

GO MWC!!

• re: Alex Trebek
    Dec. 18, 2008 11:22 a.m.

Kansas State was one of the best programs in the country just a few short years ago. Remember the team that BYU fans always brag about beating in the Cotton Bowl under Stevie Sark? K State

Ludwig wants an opportunity to coach in a BCS conference and Snyder will only be there 1-3 years at the most. AL might have a shot at replacing him as the head coach.

That Titanic you refer to is about to dock in New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl while your storied program plays the Arizona (yes we lost to New Mexico)Wildcats in the Who Cares bowl. I'll stay aboard that ship any day; you can have your beloved Cougar 10 win seasons and no still no BCS.

Coaches leave good programs because they are in demand. Dan Mullen from Florida and your beloved Sark leaving USC for Washington are just 2 examples.

Keep trying kitties, your arguments are sounding more desperate all the time.

• Mike R.
    Dec. 18, 2008 11:27 a.m.

The idiot Yewt fans have trashed Ludwig for so long, it's a wonder he didn't leave before this.

• Re: Alex Trebek
    Dec. 18, 2008 11:29 a.m.

"Why would you leave the storied program of yewtah, twice the BCS busters, to go to a bottom-feeder in the Big 12 where you will virtually never have a chance at a conference title playing against the likes of OU and UT?"

Alex, it might do you well to actually watch more than college football team...or at the very least, do a little research. I thought you were supposed to be trivia smart.

Kansas State's shots at a Big XII championship:

1998: #10 Texas A&M rallies from a 27-12 deficit to edge top-ranked Kansas State 36-33 in DOUBLE OVERTIME.

2000: #1 Oklahoma edged #7 Kansas State, 27-24.

2003: Kansas State upset #1 Oklahoma 35-7 for 1st Big XII Conference Championship.

Since 1998, Kansas St. has played for 3 Big XII conference championships, going 1-2. Their 2 losses were by a combined 6-pts. All those championships occurred under Coach Bill Snyder. Now that Snyder has decided to come back out from retirement, it is conceivable they may be competitive again shortly.

• On behalf of 115 posts
    Dec. 18, 2008 11:33 a.m.

@:RE:115 Posts | 10:04 a.m. Dec. 18, 2008
    "LOL, you can't even add at Utah? 30+70=100 for most folks."

Take the 100 that you came up with, now subtract that from 115.

115
    -100
    _____
    15 posts actually on-topic.

I'll help you with math.

• Happy at last
    Dec. 18, 2008 11:39 a.m.

To all those who are defending Ludwig: We aren't saying he is a bad coach. He has designed a good system. He CALLS a bad boring game. He plays are well designed but used at the wrong time. We run when we should pass, pass when we should run. Really, I think he has decided what play to run two days before the game. He is a classic example of one that fails to adapt to changing situations.

• re: Mike R.
    Dec. 18, 2008 11:38 a.m.

Kind of like the idiot Cougar fans who trashed Norm Chow for so long? Norm went on to have quite a bit of success after leaving the Zooblanders didn't he Mike.

Ludwig drives most of us season ticket holders crazy because there is no continuity or consistency in the play calling. There were so may 2 or 3 down and 1 calls that were halfback passes or throws down the field that should have been "get the first down" plays.

Mike, give it a rest, Cougar fans were even calling for Lavell's head in his last few years, or maybe you are too young to remember that.

• Problem
    Dec. 18, 2008 12:23 p.m.

Andersen just recieved commitments from two players at USU.

Ludwig and Andersen have their new schools best inerest at heart.

Shouldn't Andersen be working on the Sugar Bowl?

Why are they even involved with the Sugar Bowl? Let's bring up some Utah Men coaches to take over now!!!

• SJ
    Dec. 18, 2008 12:33 p.m.

3 mediocre years of Ute whining and 1 great year,
    Another 3 mediocre years of Ute whining and 1 great year,

Hey Ute fans, do you see a trend devloping here?

• re: SJ
    Dec. 18, 2008 1:45 p.m.

Yeah, I see a trend. We get to the BCS every 4th year and BYU continues its quest for bowl mediocrity every year. I'll take winning 7 straight bowl games and 2 BCS bowl appearances in 4 years any day.

Bad logic there dude.

• Get a clue
    Dec. 18, 2008 1:57 p.m.

1) If Kyle wanted him that bad he would not have been the only coach on the staff who did not get a raise.
    2) Anderson left because he was given an opportunity to be a head coach (who would not do that)
    3) "Sinking Ship that is why coaches are leaving". 12-0 is not a sinking ship!!!!! It is good news for Utah because it indicates the Head coach is planning on staying for a while.
    4) There are pleanty of OC who would like to coach at Utah. Kyle will find a decent replacement with or without the help of Urban.
    5) LAST BUT NOT LEAST AS STATED BY A COUGAR FAN IN AN EARLIER POST (COACHES 10:08) BYU COACHES ARE STAYING PUT BECAUSE NO BODY IS MAKING OFFERS. (IF YOU HAVE READ THE PAPERS TWO OF YOUR BEST PLAYERS COLLIE AND JORGENSEN ARE LOOKING AT THE DRAFT. STRONG INDICATOR THAT THEY DO NOT BELIEVE NEXT YEARS TEAM WILL BE THAT GREAT!)

• Sideline Stevrosteinskinamabamaj
    Dec. 18, 2008 2:00 p.m.

See, I have been watching BYU/Utah for the past 50 years. Utah was so very mediocre for so long, that they finally have something to be proud about, why not let them.

With the Utah fans, it never was about the Utes, it has always been about BYU, and how they match up.

I always thought that most BYU fans took the wins with class, but there were a few obnoxious, arrogant BYU fans, but they were just people with simple minds.

Watching the Ute fans over the past few months, it's become quite obvious that the Utah Fans have deep seeded emotional issues. I have never read so many classless arrogant posts, even on the BYU boards.

I sure hope the basketball season mellows you Ute fans out, because you have all become unsufferable.

You should have learned from BYU. You won't be on top forever, and when you come down, don't start whining again about BYU fans.

You Utah fans have earned a huge slice of humble pie, and I am guessing that the BYU fans are ready and waiting to serv it to you.

For your sake, I hope Bama doesn't ROLL like I think they will.

• Please
    Dec. 18, 2008 2:16 p.m.

Don't slam the door on your way out.

• So what?
    Dec. 18, 2008 2:14 p.m.

it is a job people and there is nothing wrong with moving on for more money. The best of luck to him at Kansas State.

• re: humble pie
    Dec. 18, 2008 3:21 p.m.

Ummm, deep seeded would be putting seeds in your garden. Try deep seated emotional issues.

Try going back through all the posts on this thread and reading ALL the nasty Cougar fan drivel.

If you have been watching Utah & BYU for 50 years, most of that 50 (other than in the 70's & 80's) was complete domination by Utah or very even (as the series has been since the early 90's).

Imagine this - if you think the Crimson Tide will "ROLL" Utah, then what would they do to the kitties? Scary to think based on your logic. BTW, how did you arrive at that logic that Bama will "ROLL." Oh, right, like every bitter beer face Cougar fan it is an emotional reaction, not based on any objective assessment.

The only team being served humble pie right now are the Cougars and their fans. They were on top for a long time and had gotten very arrogant. I've been watching this series for over 30 years myself as a Ute fan, and I've seen BYU rub it in Utah's face on countless occasions during that time (BYU's 70-21 drubbing of Utah in Jim Fassel's last game).

• Ute Man in Logan
    Dec. 18, 2008 3:22 p.m.

To all of the cougette fans out there who are predicting the demise of the Utes next year, National Champs.net has come out with their 2009 college football pre season rankings. Let me see here, the Utes are ranked #17. Let me look at the top 25 again, because i am just not seeing the y in there. oh yeah, because they are not in it! Utes will be fine without Ludwig, we are not going to miss anyone who would call a fumblerooski in the 4th quarter of a tight game (TCU). Not worried about the y and their speedy (4.8 40) secondary either! The closest thing the cougies will ever get to the BCS is the checks that they get from the Utes. Go Utes!!!

• P-Ute
    Dec. 18, 2008 4:14 p.m.

Alex Smith is looking for a new gig.

• Utah losing players?
    Dec. 18, 2008 4:16 p.m.

So at QB utah has a huge log jam, with the new juco they just signed they have six eligble QB prospects.

Corbin Louks
    Chad Manis
    Jordan Wynn
    Griffin Robles
    Devonte Christopher
    Terrance Cain.

Cain is a 4 star, Robles and Wynn are three star QB prospects.

Running back they have Asiata returning, plus Stowers got an extra year.

WR they still have Aiona Key and Jeremy Brooks.

And nearly the entire Defense is returning. Kruger, Misi.. plus the five star recruit James Aiono.

Let's look at BYU.. 4 new offensive line guys who haven't played a snap in two years. Collie may leave for the NFL (then he can join Staley).

• BYU
    Dec. 18, 2008 4:34 p.m.

Played 3 teams with winning records this year. They lost to 2 of them by 25 points and then 24 points.
    Now they are laughing at the Utes?
    Utah will earn more money in the Sugar bowl for BYU than BYU will earn for themselves in the Vegas Bowl.

BYU 1-20 vs ranked teams in last 9 seasons.

• How about
    Dec. 18, 2008 4:59 p.m.

Jim Fassel? I'm sure he won't mind becoming an OC for a while.

• deluded Ute
    Dec. 18, 2008 8:29 p.m.

"most of that 50 (other than in the 70's & 80's) was complete domination by Utah"

Sorry to burst your misinformed bubble, but Utah hasn't dominated since Utah won the Liberty Bowl in 1964.

After that, Utah all but disappeared for the next 28 years, until 1992. (That alone is more than half of the last 50 years.) No conference championships. No national rankings. No bowl games. No 10+ win seasons. And 6-22 versus BYU. In fact, Utah had a losing record overall for that entire 28-year period. From 1972 to 1992 (21 years), Utah only won TWO games against BYU.

In the last 20 meetings, BYU and Utah are 10-10. Since 1993, BYU still has a better overall record, more conference titles, more 10+ win seasons, and more top 25 finishes than Utah.

BYU won a national championship and individual players have won numerous national honors, including the Heisman Trophy. A Utah player has never won a national honor.

Utah has a couple of BCS games and a string of bowl wins over mediocre teams, average record 8-4, the same as Air Force this season. That's it!

Please explain how Utah has "dominated" most of the last 50 years.

• Jarid in Cedar
    Dec. 18, 2008 8:29 p.m.

How about | 4:59 p.m. Dec. 18, 2008
    Jim Fassel? I'm sure he won't mind becoming an OC for a while.
    ====================================================

I would really like that but I think that he is in love with the pro game and there might be too much ego clash to make it work. But, man, the guy can design an offense!!

• MiP
    Dec. 18, 2008 8:30 p.m.

Even with returning players, it's tough to lose coaches.

I do like the Brandon Doman thing. Good mind. It would be interesting to see how many Cougar fans would hate him as soon as he left BYU.

We all know their feelings about Whit.

• re: BYU
    Dec. 18, 2008 8:37 p.m.

"BYU 1-20 vs ranked teams in last 9 seasons"

And BYU still has more Top 25 finishes than Utah in those 9 seasons.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 18, 2008 8:55 p.m.

48-24 12-0 BCS
    10-17 final minute
    31-33 final second
    41-34 overtime
    52-21 12-0 BCS

How sweet it is to be a Ute!

• shecky
    Dec. 18, 2008 9:04 p.m.

Predictions for 2009:

USU 49, UofU 3

USU 51, BYU 6

I don't even know if they play each other. Either way, GO AGS.

• Must be Y fans
    Dec. 18, 2008 9:06 p.m.

Utah will be fine. Kyle has a program going

• Re: San Diego Ute fan
    Dec. 18, 2008 9:08 p.m.

you commented that the offense ran best when BJ was running the show on his own. I think you're missing one critical point on that. The offense really only ran best when the other teams were playing the Prevent defense in the last 2 minutes of the game. When the DB's lay off the LOS 15 yds and leave the WR's wide open for short passes it's pretty easy to look like a genius, BJ's grandma could have made those throws.

• Re: deluded Ute | 8:29 p.m.
    Dec. 18, 2008 9:29 p.m.

"Please explain how Utah has "dominated" most of the last 50 years.

Your comment implies that BYU has dominated the last 50 years. You people talk like BYU is Notre Dame, Penn State, Alabama, etc. Such arrogant, mindless fools.

Yes, BYU has done those things thing you noted in your post but is has been over the last quarter century. That does not equate to domination it denotes nothing more that a flash in the pan.

Have fun in LV. The real money will be coming courtesy of the University of Utah.

• Re: Must be Y fans | 9:06 p.m.
    Dec. 18, 2008 9:31 p.m.

"who want Doman to come here. He is an awful coach and really doesn't know what he is doing."

Agreed. Doman coached the interception king...what's his name.

• Van Orden
    Dec. 18, 2008 9:53 p.m.

Hire Van Orden from Timpview. He's an offensive genius.

• Utah
    Dec. 18, 2008 10:35 p.m.

What a bunch of insecure "precious" ones, worrying about how the University baseball cap they wear will affect their own self-esteem.

• Re: deluded Ute
    Dec. 19, 2008 12:36 a.m.

You really should get your facts straight...

While it's true that Utah hasn't dominated the last 50 years, you claim that Utah disappeared after 1964.. The truth is that between 1964 and 1972, Utah won 5 out of 7 meetings.

They only won 2 games between 1972 and 1992, and that's a pretty impressive run by BYU.. Just don't try to imply something that's not true by extending it almost a decade longer than the truth.

In reality, the Utes are 23-27 in the last 50 years. It also will take a few years before we can improve that record, because the first 7 games in that 50 year series were Ute victories.

However, what matters is this:

3-2 in the last 5 years
    5-5 in the last 10 years
    9-6 in the last 15 years

and most importantly.. 12-0 this year.

• RE: Queen Louie
    Dec. 19, 2008 1:28 a.m.

Don't you have anything new to say? I swear I read this on an earlier Ute thread.

Yes we've heard it before Bama is going to roll all over us because our defense and offense sucks... BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Sucks to be BYU allowing our weak O and D to smack them around 48-24... yea it was a close game at the end of 3rd but unfortunately for BYU football is played in 4 Qtrs.

"This won't be like playing PITT!"

We know already, it's even going to be tougher then the 6-5 84 MI team. Actually UofA is even better then 84-MI.

#4 Bama or 7-5 UofA... you can have the Vegas bowl.

• RE: Common Sense
    Dec. 19, 2008 1:54 a.m.

The 2nd Tier MWC is 6-1 against the mighty PAC-10. Also how about that power house WY program beating Tenn.

Yes Utah, TCU, BYU, BSU are 2nd Tier to FL, OK, OH, Bama, USC and the likes but not to teams like ND, Oregon, Old Miss, FL Sate, VTech, PITT, BC, etc.

So come off your high horse and play a Home-and-Away series with the 2nd Tier Utah. Why won't OK and FL play on the Smurf field in Boise?

• Sad
    Dec. 19, 2008 6:07 p.m.

Kansas State is not a step up! What is happening in Whitville. Word is, he's gone too.

• Can't be happier
    Dec. 20, 2008 2:29 p.m.

I'm one ute fan who thought a lot of our offensive problems were because of Ludwig. I think next year will be tough for us, losing both coordinators, but in the long run, I'm glad he's gone.

We'll definitely miss Anderson though.

• Utah Fan
    Dec. 20, 2008 8:04 p.m.

Utah's defense is still open.

• Good News
    Dec. 21, 2008 6:16 a.m.

This is good news, now just go out and hire a good OC - it will bring in more recruits if you do!

• john doe
    Jan. 2, 2009 11:34 p.m.

what a bunch of ingrates you people are