Utah State football: Andersen to Boise State: 'Here we come'

Comments

• good-riddance
    Dec. 4, 2008 2:06 p.m.

It's always been Whit's defense anyway. Can't tell you how many times this season alone he got the play/players in late or not at all.

So long Coach... Smash you next year.

• Love it
    Dec. 4, 2008 2:07 p.m.

I love to have him here. He's an in your face kinda guy that also cares. He will bring some intensity to the team that I thought was lacking at times. Loved coach Guy and I worked with him on some off the field stuff. Very generous guy. But he seemed somewhat too nice at times. He laid a great foundation and I hope GA will be able to build on that.
    Go Aggies

• Anonymous
    Dec. 4, 2008 2:09 p.m.

AS A BYU FAN IM GLAD TO SEE HIM GO AND I WISH HIM LUCK. IT WOULD BE SWEET TO HAVE BYU AND UTAH AT THE TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN WEST AND HAVE UTAH STATE A TOP OF THE WAC!

• NorCalUte
    Dec. 4, 2008 2:14 p.m.

Good hire USU, he'll be a good fit for Logan. HUGE loss for Utah. He won't get the top recruits in Utah, but he will get some local talent (Utah/BYU walk-ons or lower priority scholarship players) to go up to Cache Valley.

I am sure Kyle will call the defense in the BCS bowl if he is not around, otherwide I'd be worried about Utah's chances.

Good luck G.A., and thanks for your contributions to the Utes!

• Jumbo Slice
    Dec. 4, 2008 2:21 p.m.

It will be great to see BYU pound him.

• Yewtah State
    Dec. 4, 2008 2:21 p.m.

Everyone looks better in blue

• Good Luck Coach
    Dec. 4, 2008 2:22 p.m.

This seems to me to be at the very best a lateral move for Andersen. Going from a top-10 national program Assistant Coach to a bottom-10 perennial losing program Head Coach? I don't know exactly how the $$ compared, but it better pay a lot more in Logan!

Anyway, I do hope Andersen sticks around to help coach the Utes in the BCS Bowl. As long as he stays in Logan, this will be his only sniff at one of the big bowls. If Urban could put-off Florida for a few weeks to help coach the Utes in the Fiesta Bowl, certainly Andersen can put of the Aggies for a few weeks...

• Big Blue
    Dec. 4, 2008 2:22 p.m.

Yawn.
    In 4 years, we will be talking about the next great hope at USU that will awake the sleeping giant.

Those who fail to learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.

• Tim
    Dec. 4, 2008 2:23 p.m.

Three years and out. Sort of like the the USU three plays and out.

• Advisory
    Dec. 4, 2008 2:30 p.m.

Gary: Harline is still open.

• I LIKE IT
    Dec. 4, 2008 2:30 p.m.

If he and his assistants can pull over some of thier high school recruits, along with the returning players we'll have, I think we could surprise a lot of people. I'm very excited! A media savy coach can do wonders for a football team.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 4, 2008 2:37 p.m.

My favorite comment from GA was "dang I look good in Blue!!!" Don't we all. Much better than red at least!

Go Cougs!!!

• George
    Dec. 4, 2008 2:38 p.m.

Bosie State?? Maybe that's a little ambitious for the first year. Why don't we just try to get out of the cellar first.

• Ya'!!
    Dec. 4, 2008 2:39 p.m.

A football coach that is energetic and aggressive...almost forgot what it was like to have one like that.

I'm excited to see what Andersen can do with the program. Welcome Coach Andersen!

Go Aggies!! Beat everybody!

• What?
    Dec. 4, 2008 2:48 p.m.

What is GA thinking? We are talking about Utah State! He should have held out for something better as he is better than this job. I think if KW doesn't keep Sitake on for DC, he should go after Rocky Long.

• USU
    Dec. 4, 2008 2:48 p.m.

Go get'em Gaggies!

• as a BYU fan
    Dec. 4, 2008 2:54 p.m.

I can only hope that Andy Ludwig has a twin brother that's a D coordinator and that Whit will hire him.

• Go aggs
    Dec. 4, 2008 2:56 p.m.

The Utes will miss this guy and the aggies will start winning. Utes will get killed in the bowl game with him gone, and U-state can focus on how to win up on the smurf turf.

• re: good luck coach
    Dec. 4, 2008 2:56 p.m.

His pay will almost double; thats hardly a lateral move.

• RS
    Dec. 4, 2008 3:09 p.m.

The Real Blue not the BYU Blue.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 4, 2008 3:09 p.m.

The headline says Boise State but the article is Utah State. I assume Utah State is correct.

• Coach A
    Dec. 4, 2008 3:09 p.m.

Lateral move. Um I'm pretty sure there's a pay raise involved. Coach Andersen will be making around $400k. Doesn't coach Whit make $550k a year? I think $400k is a little pricey for a coordinator at the U. Plus if he has a few years success he's onto bigger better things. Something an assistant gig at the U won't offer him.

• Whittingham's crutch
    Dec. 4, 2008 3:13 p.m.

Without Andersen, Whit's value goes down.

• Nebredagblue
    Dec. 4, 2008 3:13 p.m.

Go ustate lets start winning again

UU will lose the BCS game big

• Re: Ananomous and Advisory
    Dec. 4, 2008 3:14 p.m.

What's that? You're excited to play in the Las Vegas Bowl for the 4th straight year. Harline may still be open but Hall tried passing it to him but was intercepted.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 4, 2008 3:14 p.m.

"Boise State, here we come" ha for real? I'm sure Boise State is real scared.

• Re: Anon
    Dec. 4, 2008 3:14 p.m.

Remember that Aggie blue is the true blue my friend.

• RE: Advisory
    Dec. 4, 2008 3:15 p.m.

Max: The Utah defense is still open

• Re: Good Luck Coach
    Dec. 4, 2008 3:15 p.m.

Utah is in the top ten in the polls right now,( but is not a top ten coaching job) it is not a lateral move. The WAC is a lateral move from the MMC. Therefore going from Assistant to Head Coach is a step up. I am betting that Utah and Utah State have similar records next year. Gary just made the move at the right time. Utah State can build a program that will contend in the WAC. My prediction is that both Utah and Utah State will go 7-4 next year.

• nebaggie
    Dec. 4, 2008 3:15 p.m.

Go big blue

Utes loose big in the bowl game

• Hopeful but Mad Aggie
    Dec. 4, 2008 3:18 p.m.

We will know in 3 to 4 years if Anderson is a good pick or not. What is a shame is that there were two very qualified Aggies in the running.

USU has passed on former Aggie coaches a couple of times. Baer and Canales both deserved a chance to coach for the University they played at and in Baer's case coached also. They were here during the good times and bleed Aggie Blue. If Anderson is a winner 3 to 4 years from now he will be gone to the first major to throw money his way. If he losses he will be gone too. Baer or Canales may have remained loyal and followed the path of Stew Morrill. In 3 or 4 yeras we will be right back in the situation we are in now only we probably won't have qualified Aggies apply for the job.

I wish the Aggies luck but can no longer support an administration that does not back their own. What would it have hurt to give one these Aggies a try.

• To Anonymous
    Dec. 4, 2008 3:23 p.m.

He meant the real blue brother.

• RE: good-riddance
    Dec. 4, 2008 3:24 p.m.

You obviously have no clue what goes on up there do you? Do you want to know what the Head Coach's role at a D-1 school is? It is to entertain the press, make the big decisions LEADING UP TO the game, and to give the big "go get-em" speeches to the players, basically be the face of the organization.

Gary can take the most undisciplined kid and turn him into saint with an attitude!

Whit doesn't take a step into the Ds pre-practice meetings and he occasionally wanders over to the Ds side of the practice field during the day.

I could go on but I want to make sure people know what they are talking about before they post.

If you want to go on it will only end in your demise.

-DD

• To Advisory:
    Dec. 4, 2008 3:27 p.m.

Max Hall: Avoid playing Utah State

• Blue is Ugly
    Dec. 4, 2008 3:31 p.m.

Utah State will start off 0-1. Show anyone enough green and they'll switch colors.

• Hahaha
    Dec. 4, 2008 3:33 p.m.

I bet the Broncos (Boise State) are just shaking in their cleats over this!

• Just the start
    Dec. 4, 2008 3:37 p.m.

the decline of U football begins...Johnson graduates (last qb mentored by Myer), Nobody has come calling for Whit, in football cirlces this is the last hurrah for the Utes. Whit is known to pressure and suffocate his players and the coaches are leaving for anything, even Utah State. And Anderson is right...everybody looks better in blue!

• JJ
    Dec. 4, 2008 3:38 p.m.

To what? 2:48pm - Good idea on going after Rocky Long! I wanted BYU to go after him but I doubt that will happen, esp since Long doesnt like BYU too much. He would be a good coach to pick up at the U.

• good luck Coach A
    Dec. 4, 2008 3:55 p.m.

Utah:

One Coordinator Gone

One head coach bound for Seattle

Sounds a bit like 2004.

Coach Anderson is a charismatic coach that will bring winning back to Logan. So what if he goes for a bigger program in 3 to 4 years - Utah State will be a lot better than where it is now.

To the Cougar posters: the blue that you wear now is not, nor will it ever be "cougar blue." Maybe your motto next year should be "Quest for Basics" which would include going back to Dodger blue.

Go Aggies

Go Utes

Go Away Ludwig

• Re: Advisory
    Dec. 4, 2008 3:58 p.m.

So are the entire Utah secondary and defensive ends

• Re: Anonymous
    Dec. 4, 2008 4:00 p.m.

Yes, GA looks good in Blue . . . even the blue BYU stole from USU.

• objective analysis
    Dec. 4, 2008 4:08 p.m.

Looking at this hire objectively, here's how I see next year playing out. USU's defense will be better because of Andersen's strong presence. However, I'm very concerned about the offense, not because Andersen's not an offensive guru, but because our QB will have to learn a new offense.

Borel, whose natural position is not QB, showed last year that he needed half a dozen games to learn how to be a QB in an offense. I'm afraid it will take him a half dozen games to be comfortable running yet another offense, during which time the Aggies will be playing a tough non-conference schedule.

So, I expect USU will rack up a bunch of losses at the beginning of the season, as usual, but hopefully will finish strong. I predict 4 wins next season. USU's best chance will be in Borel's senior season, when both the offense and defense will be clicking on all cylinders.

Candidly, I hoped that Andersen would keep Dickey on so that Borel wouldn't have to learn a new offense, and so he could keep the momentum going of the past few games when he scored 40 plus points per game.

• RE: good luck Coach A
    Dec. 4, 2008 4:09 p.m.

Cougar Blue is Cougar Blue, That's why BYU has a winning record and state doesn't. I sure you can choose royal blue as your official colors, maybe that could help your team start winning.

P.S. May your team be destined to make Ludwig utah's next head coach to a 20 year contract.

• Crazy people
    Dec. 4, 2008 4:09 p.m.

dont you realize that it is Coach Whitts Defense, Anderson did a nice job coaching them but Whitt is still the better coach and the better Defensive mind so we will be just fine, just an excuse for cougar fans to say we are screwed.

• Dear Zoobies
    Dec. 4, 2008 4:09 p.m.

Focus on your up coming loss Satuday in the Energy Solutions Arena.

I am grateful that USU has moved up to 104 out of 119 football teams in the polls. I am tired of being in the bottom 10 when football season begins each year.

I predict that by this time next year USU will be in the top 60 moving forward to respectibility.

Go Aggies!

• Boise State fan
    Dec. 4, 2008 4:13 p.m.

I hope GA can improve the Aggies. Maybe there are some modern day Merlin Olsons, Jim Turners, Tommy Larscheides, Clark Millers, Darnel Haneys, Cornel Greens and Billy "Jingles" Williams around who can take the Aggies back to the glory days.

It is interesting, isn't it, that every coach and fan along the Wasatch Front wants to beat Boise State. And now that fever has spread to Cache Valley - maybe its the altitude.

Here's some friendly advice GA, don't use the same defensive scheme used by Utah in 2006 when the Broncos drilled the Utes 38-3 or something awful like that in RES.

But, imagine, just imagine, optimism swells in the breast of everyone. . . . . . maybe GA will be the first of Utah's Big Three coaches to beat Boise State. Probably not, but it is fun to imagine GA would beat KW and BM in getting that accomplished.

To quote Casey at Bat, "the outlook wasn't brilliant for the Mudville Nine that day, the score stood four to two, with but one inning left to play. . . . ."

Maybe GA's warning will scare the Broncos back into their indoor practice facility.

Cheers.

Happy holidays.

• Loyal Aggie
    Dec. 4, 2008 4:16 p.m.

Dear Hopeful but Mad Aggie,

I, too, felt the same way you do about hiring a loyal Aggie. After thinking about it I decided that Anderson is the right man for the job. As far as hiring a loyal Aggie as a coach, Stew was never an Aggie before he was hired, and neither was his predecessor Larry Eustachy. USU football doesn't need a loyal son right now, they need a motivated ambitious coach like Eustachy, Urban Meyer, and Gary Anderson. When he is successful he will undoubtedly move to bigger and "better" things. At that point the time may be right to bring in a long term, stable, loyal coach. In my observations, that is the most successful pattern for (re-)building a program. Short term success is necessary before long term stability. See Eustachy-Morrill, Cleveland-Rose, Meyer-Wittingham. I hope that Canales and Baer are still interested in a few years. Maybe Anderson could hire one of them on his staff? It would be too complicated, but it would set them up nicely for the future. I'm looking forward to a bowl game in a few years. GO AGGIES!!!

• The new Blue
    Dec. 4, 2008 4:18 p.m.

Utah State will now take their spot as the 2nd best school in the state BYU will fall to 3rd, meeeooooooowwwww.

• Re: Just the Start
    Dec. 4, 2008 4:19 p.m.

Re: Just the start. "Nobody has come calling for Whit" How do you Know ? Washington came calling. Maybe only Whit knows about the others. Was there a mad rush to Coach Bronco Mendenhall's terrestrial door?

"Whit is known to pressure and suffocate his players" Scoreboard /12 and 0, birdbrain.

Utah has a chance to be even better next year. With the cougs that doesn't appear to be the case. Same "star" players, same lack of speed, same third place finish, and maybe even a 5th Las Vegas bowl if you are lucky.

The message from on high to BYU's holier than thou football crowd this year has to be "BE THOU HUMBLE"

So just shut up zoobies. Anything you say just comes out plain stupid.

• Max will have a bad game
    Dec. 4, 2008 4:20 p.m.

next year against USU.
    And another against TCU.
    And another against Utah.

Looks like 9-3 record in 2009 to me.

• BYU / USU fan
    Dec. 4, 2008 4:23 p.m.

I think GA will be a good pick. The Aggies had glimmers of greatness that just needs to be cultivated by a strong coach. Go Aggies.

(Hey Utes and Cougs, keeps your non-related comments off)

• For the record,
    Dec. 4, 2008 4:35 p.m.

He didn't say he looks better in Blue. He just said he looks dang good in Blue.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 4, 2008 4:41 p.m.

I can't wait to see Utah fall apart in their bowl game. OVERRATED!!!

• Anonymous
    Dec. 4, 2008 4:41 p.m.

I think he looks BETTER in blue.

• Jpjazz
    Dec. 4, 2008 4:47 p.m.

"The Aggies open the 2009 season at Utah a school Andersen was the head coach for in 2003."

The head coach of Utah in 2003, this is news to me.

• Ernest T. Bass
    Dec. 4, 2008 4:49 p.m.

GA will be a better coach than Bronco.
    Now, before anyone gets all upset, BYU has ALL the advantages and money.
    I'll bet Gary does more with less at USU than what The Donc does in Provo.

• Re: Just the start
    Dec. 4, 2008 4:55 p.m.

Yeah, Utah will not be great next year, but in 3 or 4 years they'll be busting the BCS again.

Meanwhile BYU will continue to go to the Vegas Bowl.

BCS every 4 or 5 years or Vegas bowl every year.
    You can take the Vegas bowl, but I'll gladly take the BCS.

BYU
    1-20 vs ranked teams since 1999.
    No Defense or speed.

• ?
    Dec. 4, 2008 4:56 p.m.

Is this statement accurate:

• HSFAN
    Dec. 4, 2008 4:58 p.m.

You narrow-minded Yewt fans are a bunch of idiots.....

Bronco Mendenhall if he is smart will start Riley Nelson at QB and send Hall packing!!!

Riley Nelson is not only good, but the kid has that rare quality that is a rarity.....

That is....

Riley Nelson is a winner....

Max Hall is consistant....but after he throws an interception...he throws in the towel......

Riley will never do that......

Mark my words..

Riley Nelson will go down in the State of Utah Football history with the likes of McMahon and Young!

• Hopeful but Mad Aggie
    Dec. 4, 2008 5:04 p.m.

Dear Loyal Aggie,

The difference is Stew stayed. Win or lose Anderson will be gone in 4 years. It was time to be loyal win or lose. I wish him the best but Anderson does not have the resume or experience Baer or Canales has. Recruiting will not be as easy as everyone thinks. Sure he may get some in state talent but be realistic it is going to take out of state recruiting too. It may have been a lot easier at Utah, but we are talking Utah State and I believe Baer or Canales could do the same or better based on their experience and connections.

You don't think Baer or Canales are motivated and ambitious? They wouldn't have applied if they were not. They are true Aggies, why wouldn't they be, and again maybe they would stay. I just think it was time to show some loyalty, win or lose. Both Baer and Canales have been here twice, dont think we will have the opportunity again.

• The others
    Dec. 4, 2008 5:05 p.m.

I see the Cougars and Utes have plenty to say on the topic of USU football. Utes worried over G.A. decision and coug's just talk; but that is what the Courgars always do is talk. Good Luck to the Aggies. GO get'em

• RR
    Dec. 4, 2008 5:08 p.m.

Ute fans, does this guy tick you off a little? He's saying he looks very good in blue, then says he's a Utah guy...a Utah State guy. He says his whole attention is on USU now. It's like he's leaving Utah completely in the dust and it seems like he doesn't even want to focus on the BSC game.

These comments rubbed me the wrong way, and I'm not a fan of either school.

USU, don't expect to even compete with BSU or turn around instantly. It takes most coaches at least a year to turn a program around, if they are successful. Bronco turned BYU around in 2 after a 6-6 start. Saban turned Alabama around in 2 after a 6-6 start. The UNLV program was never turned around. Jones was supposed to rescue SMU, but he had about 1-2 wins. Michigan is having its worst season ever. It will take time to get recruits he wants, and not leftovers from an old coach.

• Re: HSFAN
    Dec. 4, 2008 5:08 p.m.

Thanks you, Mrs. Nelson.

• mark MY words
    Dec. 4, 2008 5:09 p.m.

nothing in the comments section is worth the cyberspace their printed on.

Why do I even waste my time here again?

Go Aggies

• Provo Dad
    Dec. 4, 2008 5:21 p.m.

"Mark my words..

Yeah Zoobs just like Ben Olsen HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

• Agfest
    Dec. 4, 2008 5:23 p.m.

I'm glad we wasted a year of Riley's and his dad's eligibilty. Turned out to be one of the best moves GUY made. BYU only gets him for 3 now.

• Lehi Cougar Fan
    Dec. 4, 2008 5:31 p.m.

Congrats to Gary. I honestly hope he is successful at helping the Aggies turn the corner. Best of luck. Hats off for the job you did at Utah.

• Andy
    Dec. 4, 2008 5:36 p.m.

Big Blue, you said "Yawn.

Those who fail to learn from the past are doomed to repeat it."

So do yourself a favor and learn the history of USU football, not just the record. When you do you will see how this administration at USU has learned from history. A better conference was the start, new facilities followed, and now starting with this coach a significantly increased football operating budget for recruiting, salaries and such. All of this indicate a vastly different mindset about football at the administrative level as opposed to every administration over the past 30 plus years. USU has learned from history and is changing what they have done.

• Andy
    Dec. 4, 2008 5:43 p.m.

Hopeful but mad Aggie:

The current success of USU basketball did not start with Stew, it started with Larry Eustachy. Larry took the program from the doldrums to the to multiple 20 win seasons, a Big West title and an NCAA trip. No disrespect to Stew, he is a great coach and USU is lucky to have him, but the foundation of winning USU basketball was built by Larry. If Andersen has the same effect on football that Eustachy had on basketball, then wants to pursue other opportunities, we should all thank him and wish him the best.

• Zoobies are Funny
    Dec. 4, 2008 5:51 p.m.

You zoobies can hope that all of Utah's Coaches are gone as you think it will kill Utah's program. Funny that you were saying the same thing when Meyer left and we are back in the same place 4 years later.

You sound and look like the the little brother trying to hang out with big brothers friends to me.

Is Max Hall still throwing? I think I just had an interception.

• l
    Dec. 4, 2008 5:56 p.m.

re RR (USU, don't expect to even compete with BSU or turn around instantly. It takes most coaches at least a year to turn a program around, if they are successful.)

USU doesn't need to be turned around. The program is already headed in the right direction. He just needs to continue what Guy had started. Guy turned the team around. Unfortunately, he ran out of time on his contract before all the improvements have become readily apparent in the W column.

25 years of little or no investment in the team took all Guy, Spetman, and Barnes had to get the team situated to be successful. They are now poised. Sure, it might take two years to place in the top third of the WAC, but I bet we'll be bowl eligible next season.

• Anderson?
    Dec. 4, 2008 6:17 p.m.

USU drops the ball...again. Dwayne Walker! And you don't hire him?! You hire a guy who will now have to recruit against his old team. Plus Anderson took the program down at SUU and left like a thief in the night, I'd like to hear Anderson's thought about that challenge, that he QUIT!

• to: re: good luck Coach A
    Dec. 4, 2008 6:31 p.m.

Great grammar buddy. Your BYU education has done you and your family well.

Regardless of records, cougar blue is still baby blue. Oh, and thank you for bringing up records. Undefeated twice in four years. Sure is a "heck" of a lot better than once since 1984.

How many BCS trips has BYU taken? Let me know when the "quest" takes them to a real bowl.

• to: HSFAN
    Dec. 4, 2008 6:38 p.m.

Let me be the first to publicly say that BYU is not quite the "Honor and Spirit" but they may have "tradition."

To call a USU QB serving his mission up and offer him a scholarship if he transfers is an abuse of power. Sure, we all know that the mission president gave Doman the okay to make the call, but that mission president is a major cougar booster.

Unethical behavior by both Doman and Mendenhall. Karma is a beast - Nelson may have some success, but along the lines of Sean Covey.

Zoobs: With or without Anderson at the helm, you're going to get smacked in the mouth next year, much like the 2nd half of this year's game, where you went in the locker room with your tail between your legs.

• v
    Dec. 4, 2008 7:04 p.m.

Ray Guy was two plays away from a 5-3 record in the WAC. It was too bad that he didn't get those wins. He might still be at USU. He had the right direction, but administrations and fans are impatient.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 4, 2008 7:12 p.m.

You are all wrong about the right color of blue. The true blue in the WAC and MWC is the turf in Boise. Until BYU and Utah are willing to schedule Boise State we'll never know who the best team in the WAC and MWC is.

• RECRUIT
    Dec. 4, 2008 7:51 p.m.

Coach Anderson likes to bounce around from one program to the next. SUU to UTAH to USU to whatever. It is really no different for him than other vagabond coaches. It is all a part of the carrer coaching game.

The only problem with vagabond coaches is they leave a trail of recruits behind them. I know coach spin says players are recruited to play at a University , not for a coach. However, when new staff arrive, they seldom have the same committment to the players left behind.

If it is okay for coaches to move around to better their future without any penalty. Why not let players have the same advantage? Why should a player be penalized for moving on to another Division 1 program when a coach is not?

As one wise coach once said, "...it's not the X's and O's but the JIMMY"S and JOE"S...". Here's to hoping the "JIMMY"S and JOE'S will eventually be given the same rights as vagabond coaches.

• BYU Fans
    Dec. 4, 2008 9:00 p.m.

Coach A. is a great person who will do a good job at USU. It will be a tough task - but he had a tough task at SUU and was able to turn that program around quickly. At least until he left.

He will be able to win with Utah high school kids and will have his team playing hard nosed football.

Good luck Coach Anderson. You have a loyal Ute fan who will be cheering for the Aggies, unless they play the Utes.

• Punt
    Dec. 4, 2008 9:51 p.m.

v. Ray Guy was a great punter but I don't think he was ever a head coach, certainly not at Utah State.

• Named my Dog Logan
    Dec. 4, 2008 10:13 p.m.

Here we go! We are on our way to great things. In the Nicest place on Eearth!!

• huh?
    Dec. 4, 2008 11:09 p.m.

re: BYU Fans | 9:00 p.m.
    "BYU fans who are posting on here to rip the Utes or Coach Anderson are completely classless." Why are they any worse than USU or Utah fans using the article to bash BYU? Guess Y fans are only "self righteous" because they act too much like other football fans

• Anonymous
    Dec. 4, 2008 11:35 p.m.

funny to read the blogs; people act like this is a sacred forum.
    anyone is allowed to post BYU, UTAH or USU fan.
    also, saying that BYU did wrong to call Nelson is a joke. His family asked BYU to contact him.
    He did not want to come home from his mission to go to USU because the program was in disarray.

Also, Max Hall did have 2 bad games. Both on the road in tough places, but bad games indeed. But he has had some spectacular games as well; and great pass completions.
    Many good QBs have bad games. Especially on the road (ie Utah at UNLV only one year ago).
    Quit bad mouthing the football in this state. It is good and can get better if USU can return to the level they have been in the past and BYU and Utah can remain in the top 20 type program positions that they can do every year.

• Football Guy
    Dec. 5, 2008 12:16 a.m.

I just have to laugh, most of you obviously are idiots! GA is a great coach, but lets face it Whitt has been 15 years at the U and 11 of those running the D or parts of it Utah will be fine! GA made 190k at Utah now he makes 350K he seems to be a Utah guy! Played at cottonwood, the ricks then utah it wasnt a ? of if he left to be a head coach but when! He is far better a choice than Canales or Baer & much more ready to the run the who than either of those 2! USU will maybe hit 5 wins next year and improve greatly and BSU is not shaking at all, they wont even play USU anytime soon as you will find that when the fall 2009 football season kicks off Boise State will be in the MWC... mark my words on that! I guarantee it!

• re: I
    Dec. 5, 2008 4:53 a.m.

Please tell me how no more than 4 wins under the last coach in a season and constantly at the bottom of one of the worst conferences is a program going in the right direction?

• Zorki
    Dec. 5, 2008 11:29 a.m.

The new USU will benefit from the fact that Guy finally had the program showing signs of life before he was fired. Still, USU is going the suffer from the same proplems faced by Washington State and University of Idaho. It is tough to get top recruits to commit to schools out in the "sticks"--outside urban areas. A good year for any USU coach will be 6-6. Neither Utah or BYU has ever beaten Boise State Utah States chances for the immediate future aren't much better.

• Corey D. Stephens
    Dec. 5, 2008 6:23 p.m.

Not too familiar with the new coach because I don't follow UofU and I certainly dont follow BYU. I can only hope that he does turn things around in Logan. I have been an Aggies fan since as long as I can remember and even though I now reside in PAC-10 terriority I still wear my Aggie blue and am truly surprised the number of people I meet here who attended USU. Good luck Coach Anderson and lets get Aggie football going like the basketball team winning. Nothing sweeter than beating BYU. GO AGGIES !!!

• Funnny zoobies...
    Dec. 6, 2008 9:00 p.m.

and their trash talking about UU and USU coaches. I remember the last few years all the Cougs saying how happy they were that KW declined the BYU job because BM is soooo much better. Well that shows how much Cougar fans know. Sugar Bowl baby on January 2nd. Sure we'll probably lose (not loose, nebaggie) to Bama, but that's better than playing in the LV bowl. Go Utes! Congrats Aggies!

• My question is
    Dec. 7, 2008 11:30 a.m.

Who doesn't look better in blue?