Utah

Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin, oldest apostle, 91, dies at home

Comments

• ceego
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:00 a.m.

We will all miss this great person, He has lived a great life and I am sure that his immediate family will miss him the most, my condolences to the Wirthlin Family, I remember as a young missionary meeting him in Fiji, his warm smile and positive attitude gave me courage to fulfill my mission...

• Gretzky
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:01 a.m.

Elder Wirthlin was a giant among men! we will miss him!

• N Ogden
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:01 a.m.

What an amazing man. He will surely be missed.

• Cats
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:02 a.m.

Well done, thou good and faithful servant.

• kathym
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:02 a.m.

Dear, dear Elder Wirthlin. We love you and will miss you. Rest in peace, as we know you will. Thank you for your life as an example of the love of Christ to all.

• Jim
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:04 a.m.

He will be missed--A humble giant who gave his live to service.

• BYUtrack
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:09 a.m.

Thank you Elder Wirthlin for your service and your Christ-like example! We love you and you will be missed!

• Emily
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:09 a.m.

Thank you so much for your service. You are such an example to everyone around you! You will be missed!

• CP
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:10 a.m.

What a great man he was! I will miss him very much. I'm so glad that I heard him speak in the last General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ. I have learned much from him thru all these years.

• Eric
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:11 a.m.

I loved Elder Wirthlin's conference talks and his great example of kindness, love and endurance. His words of wisdom and stories from his life have motivated me and my family. His last talk on "Come what may and love it" has helped me look differently at some of the trials that I have been going through recently. He is truly a pillar in the church. We will miss him.

• Boise guy
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:13 a.m.

I always loved his talks and will miss him. Sounds like he was a hard worker right to the end. I am glad he was able to perform the work he loved until it was time for him to move on.

• He set me apart...
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:14 a.m.

Elder Wirthlin set me apart as a Stake President some 15 years ago when he visited us to reorginize our Stake. He was wonderful! We found him very caring and personable and a profound witness of our Savior, Jesus Christ. We will miss him. His last talk this past conference was one of his best.

• Linda
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:17 a.m.

We will miss Elder Wirthlin. What a wonderful man he was. Our gratitude goes to his family. Thank you for sharing him with us.

• Montana Mormon
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:18 a.m.

Elder Wirthlin's last General Conference address was a classic. His counsel was powerful, loving, and wise--oh, so wise.

The University of Utah has lost its most ardent football fan!!

• Mc
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:18 a.m.

Elder Worthlin's talk "Come What May, and Love It" is one of my favorites from this past Conference. I have read and reread it since receiving the Ensign. It really touched me and is helping me carry on right now. I'm so glad we got to have him inspire us as long as he has, especially to speak this last time in Conference.

• Toby
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:20 a.m.

I met Elder Wirthlin in Mr. Mac one day, and I was only a young man, and he came up and shook my hand and took time to talk to me. This great man will be missed in the lives and hearts of all people.

• Rebecca
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:22 a.m.

We will miss you dearly Elder Wirthlin. Your life and messages inspired us always.

• Brett
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:22 a.m.

Dear Family of Elder Wirthlin,

How blessed we are to have known and loved this great Apostle. How fortunate life can be to witness the goodness of God in the lives of His servants. May this season of peace and love be that for all of you, as you reflect on the life of this tremendous man who served faithfully to the end. Thank you for sharing him with us. You have given us all a gift of yourselves through him.

May God bless all of you.

• Elder
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:23 a.m.

I can testify that Elder Wirthlin was and is an Apostle of God! Tjanks for your sacrifice, service and Love.

• Great man
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:23 a.m.

Elder Wirthlin toured our mission in Italy in the 1980s and I was so impressed with his ability to remember names and things about specific missionaries. He was incredibly caring and sincere. And he also loved Utah football having played for the University during his time on campus. A great man and a great loss for all of us.

• Chris
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:25 a.m.

A sad day for us. A joyous occasion for his beloved wife. Nice job, Elder Wirthlin. Thanks for everything.

• Orem Parent
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:25 a.m.

sorry to hear that. I loved his talks about playing football. You could just picture him as a young man.

It is great to know he is in a better place.

• Kyle
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:29 a.m.

Elder Wirthlins messages have changed my life. God be thanked for the life and ministry of Joseph B. Wirthin a true apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ.

• John
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:31 a.m.

His talks were wonderful sermons on how to truly live a christlike life. Thank You Elder Wirthlin for all of your service on this Earth.

• Steve
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:34 a.m.

I loved that dear and gentle man. I am grateful to have had the opportunity to get to know him through his talks. I always looked forward to hearing him speak. THANK YOU!

• Traci
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:39 a.m.

i loved this man!!! he was such an amazing story teller! he will be missed! :(

• Name Withheld
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:39 a.m.

I dated Mr. Wirthlin's grand-daughter for a time and got to know his family quite well. Though things did not work out with me and his grand-daughter, I was amazed at how well this family practiced what it preached. The Wirthlins are followers of Jesus Christ in word and deed and the world is weaker as a result of the loss of this man- the head of the Wirthlin family.

• John
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:40 a.m.

An honorable release for an honorable and extraordinary man.

• Justin
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:41 a.m.

I'll always remember his "Live in Obedience" talk in the April '94 conference. I was on my mission and really struggling. This talk gave me strength and courage to be obedient!

How grateful I am for his life and example. Our family will miss you and we love you! Thank you Elder Wirthlin!

• Anonymous
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:41 a.m.

I find myself unaccountably and unexpectedly weeping at the loss of this man of God. Enter into thy rest, thou good and faithful servant.

• Martin
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:46 a.m.

A great man. Thank you for your heroic life and teachings. I will ever be better because Joseph B. Wirthlin lived as he believed. Well done.

• We Will Miss You
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:48 a.m.

Elder Wirthlin was an amazing man and delivered very powerful and spritual talks. He will be missed greatly in the Quorum of the 12 as well throughout all the church.

• Zed
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:49 a.m.

I loved this man and I really only began to appreciate him more fully in the past few years. In my personal life prioritization, he became one of my favorite speakers and a profound role model.

• a sister missionary in florida
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:55 a.m.

I met Elder Wirthlin at a stake conference when I was nine years old - even then, I could tell he was called of God to be an Apostle. I love his optimism and his true-to-life stories and how he applied them to living gospel principles (doesn't hurt that some of his best stories were about his experiences playing football ^_^)

"Come What May, and Love It" - we will miss you Elder Wirthlin!

• Daniel
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:58 a.m.

Words cannot express the sense of loss we all share. Elder Wirthlin will be missed. I pray we all remember the words he has spoken so plainly. Goodbye Elder

• George
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:01 a.m.

What an excellent example and great stature of a man! Elder Wirthlin will always be a man I can look to as a shining light--a great apostle of the Lord.

• K in Plattsburgh NY
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:01 a.m.

Elder Wirthlin was one of the first general authorities I ever heard speak as a new convert to the Church. I also am weeping at his, no-my loss. Who will come to take his place? I hope there is one saying "Send me!"

• SML-PDX
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:03 a.m.

Thank you Elder Wirthlin for your words and, most importantly, your example. I will strive to follow your example.

• Grateful in TN
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:04 a.m.

For Elder Wirthlin and his beloved companion, "Sunday has come." We will miss this Christlike servant of the Master--a man who personified humility and focused devotion to the cause of Christ.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:04 a.m.

A tear of loss, a tear of joy and a sincere prayer of thanksgiving for a humble example showing us how mortals walk the way to Christ.

• I don't....
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:05 a.m.

think he is resting now. He is probably working hard even more on the other side of the veil. I will miss this Great Servant of the Lord. What a great example of enduring to the end...

• WBM5
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:13 a.m.

May we all be more like this wonderful Christ like example. Thank you, Elder Wirthlin, for your service and love!

• bartonjabber
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:14 a.m.

I thank God for Elder Wirthlin's talks. As I took time to read them, I fell in love with his majesty and command of language. His teachings always touched my heart. Thanks to him for his service; a special thanks to his family for sharing him with the world. I hope their loss can be comforted.

• Scott in Texas
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:15 a.m.

The world is better for having had Joseph B. Wirthlin in it. I will miss his inspirational conference addresses.

• Reid
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:15 a.m.

One of the sweetest, kindest most gentle men of our time. One could not help but feel better after hearing him speak. What a world we could have if we all lived as Elder Wirthlin. Thank you for your inspiring example of Christ like living!

• Richard
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:16 a.m.

Wow!
    His last conference talk, "Come What May, and Love It" was so profound -- It was THE very talk of all the Conference messages I felt needed to be shared with my families Home Teaching this month.
    Life is too short. Live and Laugh.
    Godspeed you Elder Wirthlin.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:16 a.m.

A day of sadness for us but a wonderful reunion with Sister Wirthlin and others. A great Apostle of the Lord.

• K.L. Morgan
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:18 a.m.

We have his words to cherish.

• Sukhan
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:18 a.m.

What a wonderful, humble, kind, gentle and loving this apostle was. My family and I shall miss him terribly. Thank you Elder Wirthlin for your testimony of the restored gospel and your example in living it.

Dec. 2, 2008 9:20 a.m.

Thank you Elder Wirthlin for your kind and gentle humility. Your example has touched my life and the lives of many around the world.

• a wise man
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:20 a.m.

I never appreciated this wise man like I should have until my husband and I were supposed to home teach a family. I came across an article Elder Wirthlin had written and I couldn't believe his wise council. For me, I never found him the most exciting speaker as some other General Authorities. But now I realize how much I missed out because his wise words were so inspirational. Thank goodness we have his words in our Conference talks and also the books he has written.

• Sally & Doug
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:23 a.m.

Our heart and prayers go out to Elder Wirthlin's family. Thank you for sharing your wonderful father with us.

We will miss your sweet countenance. Thank You for sharing your love of the Gospel with us.

• Granny T.
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:23 a.m.

"Come What May and Love It" Thank you Elder Worthlin, this saying has meant so much to us this last while. We will miss you.

• What a wonderful man
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:24 a.m.

He is a true disciple of Jesus Christ and we are all blessed to have lived to hear him and feel of his Christlike example. I will truly miss him. To his family, be at peace.

• Jenn
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:24 a.m.

I will miss Elder Wirthlin. His conference addresses were among my very favorite. Who could forget his last "Come What May and Love it"? He was an amazing man.

• Sarah Nichole
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:35 a.m.

I said after watching this past General Conference that I didn't think Elder Wirthlin would live long enough to speak at another one, and how sad that thought made me. I was very concerned for his health when I saw him sitting down to give his talk. I have loved Elder Wirthlin for years for his sense of humor, his strong testimony, and his wonderful love and kindness, and I will miss him and his presence. He touched my life, and I hope to be able to tell him so someday.

• whet 10
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:37 a.m.

Thank you Elder Wirthlin for your strength and tenacity in adversity, and especially your powerfull testimony of the Savior.

• Southern Utah
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:37 a.m.

God Speed Elder Wirthlin!!! You will be greatly missed by all. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, for being such a great example to world.

• Chad W.
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:38 a.m.

Thank You! I am a better person because of you!

• St. George Gal
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:40 a.m.

Elder Wirthlin lived a life of gospel service for our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He followed His example and we were all blessed because of it. We will miss him, we will remember him, we will mourn with Elder Wirthlin's family, we will also rely on our faith that he is with the loved ones he was so eager to be with again. I know I am grateful that the Lord blessed us with such a great man.

• The Lue Family
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:44 a.m.

Our sadness at his loss, our joy at his reunion with his sweetheart, our gratitude for the sermons and service of a great instrument in our Heavenly Father's hands.
    God bless you, Wirthlins!

• Idaho member
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:45 a.m.

Elder Wirthlin, we will miss you. May our heavenly father bless you as you continue your labors on the other side.

• TVB
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:45 a.m.

Elder Wirthlin, will be missed. He touched many young and old mens lives with his football stories. What a great man!

• Stacy
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:49 a.m.

I met Elder Wirthlin and his wife when I was 20 years old. He set apart my father as a mission president. There were 10 of us there and he took time to meet each one. He has a great spirit of kindness and love to all. What a great Apostle of the Lord. I've always enjoyed is talks and testimony of the Savior. While I've listened and watched Elder Wirthlin I've thought many times on what a great grandpa he must be. Condolences to his family and thank you for sharing your father and grandfather.

• Sioloa Arp
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:00 a.m.

A great loss. I will miss his great spiritual talks and his great example of kindness and love. His words of inspiration and stories from his life have motivated me in many ways. His talk in Dec 2000 Ensign, "Journey of Life" has helped me look differently at some of the trials that I have been going through. He said five things, if we take them seriously and apply them to our life, will bring us happiness, success, fulfillment, and the obtaining of an inheritance in the celestial kingdom. (1) Have faith in Heavenly Father (2) Set righteous goals (3) Work to accomplish your goals (4) Magnify your callings (5) Enjoy the journey. Elder Wirthlin, you are truly a pillar of strength in the church; you are truly a great servant of God, and you will be missed greatly by all. Thank you for your great example.

• kent jean
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:04 a.m.

This gentle spiritual giant has touched my life and made me a better person than I would otherwise have been. I look forward to meeting him again on the other side.

• Shawn
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:06 a.m.

Our thoughts and prayers go to the Wirthlin family. May God continue to bless them and let them know Elder Wirthlin is in a better place. This is a sad day for the church and may God bless the rest of the LDS faith in knowing he is in a better place as well. He will be reunited with his wife and the love of his life. Thank you Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin, you were truly an inspiration. God bless Elder Wirthlin.

• Thank you!
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:08 a.m.

How could you not love Elder Wirthln? He was so genuine, sincere, and calm. Completely dedicated to building the Kingdom, respecting others, and loving and living the gospel.

Late in his life he carried a list of things to do in his pocket, along with a pen and a highlighter ("some things are more important than others, and need special attention" he taught us once at a Stake Conference).

Some years ago he issued a calling to me. I couldn't help but feel his commitment and concern. He inspired me that day.

What a great example he was!

We will miss you, Elder Wirthlin!

• Omaha
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:08 a.m.

What a great man...I will miss him.

• Nate
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:11 a.m.

I,too, grew to love and admire Elder Wirthlin through his very practical and spiritually nourishing talks. Perhaps more than his words, I felt drawn to him by his Christlike demeanor and attitude. You can tell so much about a person by the way his or her family, friends, and associates speak and act around them. Who can forget his talk in General Conference, I believe in October 2007, when Elder Wirthlin's knees had locked up and he was clearly struggling physically to complete his address. Elder Nelson stood beside Elder Wirthlin and steadied him. Elder Wirthlin was not to be deterred until he finished bearing his witness of truth. At the conclusion of his remarks, Elder Wirthlin gave an audible "thank you" to his fellow Apostle and the whole episode burned in my heart as a great example of the Savior's love. How many times after Elder Wirthlin spoke in General Conference did one of his Brethren immediately preface their remarks with a heartful, emotional expression of love and admiration for Elder Wirthlin? Elder Wirthlin, we love you, we love your family for sharing you with us and we are better people because of you.

• Irene CA
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:13 a.m.

Elder Wirthlin,thank you for all your wise wisdoms and beautiful teachings. My deepest condolences to the Wirthlin Family. He will be greatly missed.

• Michael Vines
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:14 a.m.

Simply . . . Thank you Elder & God Bless you.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:15 a.m.

He was an amazing man! I loved his last conference talk!!!

• Mao's Family
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:16 a.m.

What a wonderful, kind and gentle man that he was. His example touched our life. We will miss him very much. Our thoughts and prayer goes to Wirthlin family.

• Sister C
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:18 a.m.

My heart is full of gratitude this morning for the life of this great man. He has taught me much and his most recent conference talk will be with me and help me through my life. What a marvelous example of one who knew how to live a Christ like life because he knew the Master. We have been so blessed to have him to lead us. Love and condolances to his great family.

• PHIL SMARTT
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:19 a.m.

ELDER WIRTHLIN STAYED IN OUR HOME AND HE WAS A HUMBLE
    MAN WITH A GREAT SENSE OF HUMOR.HE WILL BE MISSED.

• MoJules
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:20 a.m.

To the Wirthlin family, thank you for sharing your father/grandfather all these years. To the family and the 1st Presidency and Apostles, I offer my condolences, I know that you have a giant void right now.

I am happy for Elder Wirthlin, I am happy that he was able to be productive to his dying day. I am happy that our loving Father in Heaven took him in a very peaceful way. I am happy that he is now able to walk with freedom and stand tall and enjoy again the company of his Eternal Companion.

For whomever fills that spot in the Twelve, my love, support and prayers are already extended on your behalf.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:20 a.m.

Elder Wirthlin was a great man. He will truly be missed. Our hearts are with his family at this time.

• CooperIdaho
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:24 a.m.

The church has lost one of the hardest working men it has had in this dispensation. Elder Wirthlin's life was a testment to diligence and labor in the name of the Lord. As a former missionary in Europe, I am eternally grateful for what he did -- both as a missionary and area president -- in opening doors to the Saints there and helping the work progress. My heartfelt thanks to the Lord for his remarkable servant.

• Jens
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:24 a.m.

What a successful life. I never met him, but he made a difference for me. I understand a lot more about who I am and a lot more about who God is, because of Elder Wirthlin.

• A Great Man
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:31 a.m.

After Elder Wirthlin was called as an Apostle in 1986, my grandfather fondly recalled playing marbles with "Joe Wirthlin" when they were boys. I'm sure they ball together at the U as well. What a great example to us all of a man who lived what he preached.

• washcomom
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:32 a.m.

A great man with endearing humor and love of life, family, and godliness. Enjoy your reunion with your wife.

• He will go straight to heaven!
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:33 a.m.

He will be missed, luckily he probably is already taken care of. I read last night about a ceremony for members that ensures celestrial kingdom, more than likely he rocked that before passing! I guess its a ceremony that some higher ups and other in the church have completed and it basically is to ensure that no matter what happens after the ceremony that the person recieving will 100% go to heaven. SIGN ME UP!

• Michael
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:34 a.m.

Elder Joseph B. Wirtlin, a great apostle in these latter days. I will always miss him greatly because he has shared with us each the awesome testimony of his that Jesus lives, that this is the restored Gospel and that we each can be better by being humble followers of Jesus Christ. We have truly lost a great apostle. Thank you Elder Wirthlin for your awesome example to each of us of how we should live our lives.

• Graham's
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:36 a.m.

We are eternally grateful for your service to the Lord. We will miss you dearly. But, what a reunion for you and your wife. God be with you till we meet again...

• Brittany MacKenzie
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:40 a.m.

You will be missed. A great and Loyal leader with a kind gentle heart. May you reunite with your sweetheart and may you be blessed for your efforts & hardwork.

• E.Mann
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:45 a.m.

A humble and dedicated servant returns with HONOR! May we honor his service by living more Christlike lives! Elder Wirthlin leaves a legacy of FAITH for us all to follow!

'Ofa lahi atu Elder Wirthlin.

Till we meet again :)

• Sunshine
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:46 a.m.

Elder Wirthlin, a spiritual giant among men, wonderful stories that I and countless others could relate to. He will be remembered. Thank you.

• aubrey
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:47 a.m.

he was a great man and a great example to everyone. He will always be in my life. I will miss him dearly.

• Liz Mann
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:48 a.m.

Till We meet again Elder Wirthlin!

Arohanui!

• roger
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:48 a.m.

I love that man

• jcdodobear
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:53 a.m.

Dear Elder Wirthlin will be sorely missed. My condolances to the family. He was a great man and much loved by all.

• Alex
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:53 a.m.

The spiritual experiences I had with Elder Wirthlin's messages came when, having carried out his counsel, I knew for myself that he was right. That shouldn't be that big of a surprise. Apostles of the Lord give us the whole grain gospel--that which will nourish. His testimony of the Savior was solid as was his commitment to his calling. He was a true apostle of the Lord and I will miss him.

May God bless his family during their grief. They are the unsung heroes who have given their father, grandfather and husband to the world to act as a special witness. It may be hard for us who do not have a member of the family in that situation to understand. However, if there are any of Elder Wirthlin's family out there, I just want to tell you thank you.

• B Vance.
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:53 a.m.

We are so grateful for Elder Wirthlin and we will deeply miss him. We pray for his family at this time. But we remember what wonderful peace awaits him in the kingdom of his Father.

• Goodbye
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:54 a.m.

He was one of the last truly compassionate Apostles. He really did love everyone, and truly desired to serve more than judge. He was a class act. I hope they can find another like him to fill his shoes.

• Millers in Belgium
    Dec. 2, 2008 11:05 a.m.

Earth is a better place having had Joe Wirthlin grace it with his presence. We wish his family the best and thank them for sharing him with us.

• Thank You!
    Dec. 2, 2008 11:05 a.m.

Thanks to Elder Wirthlin for his humility, kindness, work ethic, and sweetness! He will be missed.

How wonderful it was to see him last year in conference, enduring to then end with Elder Nelson at his side.

What fun to hear his stories about football. Refusing to take credit for the touchdown he missed by a few inches.

We will miss his words of comfort and faith.

Well done, good and faithful servant!

• Alma Mills
    Dec. 2, 2008 11:05 a.m.

I fondly remember the talk he gave in General Conference on Love. He was shaking so much that Elder Nelson got up to steady him. I also remember the talk on kindness he gave. He wanted to help us remember the true essence of Christianity. He will be missed but not forgotten :)

• Tommi Foy Jones
    Dec. 2, 2008 11:06 a.m.

To Ann W. Farnsworth (my 6th grade teacher) and all of the Wirthlin Family: My love and prayers are with you at this time. Thank you for sharing your beloved father with all of us. We are all much better people for having had his words of wisdom from the pulpit each and every conference. May his wonderful spirit live on in all of your lives. God Bless!

• J Curley
    Dec. 2, 2008 11:06 a.m.

He was a wonderful apostle of the Lord. I'm grateful for his devotion to the work. I know the Lord has called him home to take on another work.

• Utah Grandma
    Dec. 2, 2008 11:09 a.m.

Who could forget the chuckle Elder Wirthlin gave us all when he remembered running as a youth "with the wind rustling through [his] hair"?! I always looked forward to his conference talks, but it was the October 2002 that has stayed with me:

"Faith exists when absolute confidence in that which we cannot see combines with action that is in absolute conformity to the will of our Heavenly Father. Without all threefirst, absolute confidence; second, action; and third, absolute conformitywithout these three all we have is a counterfeit, a weak and watered-down faith."

He set an example of action with faithfulness, teaching that we can only strengthen our faith when we are trying our best to be obedient to God's laws.

In the past four years we've lost some giants in the Church, all of whom are greatly missed. It is a joy, though, to see the Lord's work roll on, as others step into the callings and bring their special abilities to help us in these ever-changing times. We will always be grateful for the lives and teachings of these great men, and to their families for sharing them with us!

• Condolences to the Family
    Dec. 2, 2008 11:09 a.m.

I always admired Elder Wirthlin's humility and kindness. His quiet and humble demeanor were a good example to me. I will never forget his talk with Elder Nelson helping him stand as he delivered his message on service and love. Very touching. We will all miss Elder Wirthlin. I'm sure he had a warm reunion with his good friend, Gordon Hinckley in Paradise. I can imagine the two of them joking and smiling as they saw each other once again.

• A hero
    Dec. 2, 2008 11:10 a.m.

A truly great soul and head of a truly great family.

• CB
    Dec. 2, 2008 11:12 a.m.

Could we all leave this earth as prepared, as worthy, as this dear soul. To his family, our condolences, and to Elder Wirthlin, you have left many behind on your journey through life who shall miss you.

• gloria J Watson
    Dec. 2, 2008 11:20 a.m.

To the family of Elder Wirthlin, so sorry for your loss. I know that he is with his beloved wife. I know you will miss him, He was sucha good man and we will all miss him and his good works and his sound advice as a member of the Twelve. God Bless him.

• Matt
    Dec. 2, 2008 11:23 a.m.

Gentle Giants like Joseph Wirthlin are rare these days. He was so humble and yet so strong, he will be deeply missed. Thanks to the Wirthlin family for sharing him with us all these years.

• Barlows in Maryland
    Dec. 2, 2008 11:25 a.m.

A great man who will surely be missed!! Forever in our hearts and memories!!

• Barbara-Sarasota, Fl
    Dec. 2, 2008 11:30 a.m.

Dear Family - I am grieving for you, but know that Elder Wirthlin is beyond the Veil, with those who have gone on before, especially his loving wife---He was an encouragement to all of us---

• Kevin Lamb
    Dec. 2, 2008 11:40 a.m.

I was about 8 years old(now 15)when I met Elder Wirthlin at the Phoenix airport. My dad asked me to share with him the names of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve. I had recently memorized their names. After I said all of their names, Elder Wirthlin said, "wow, very good, I can't even remember all of their names." We all laughed at his sense of humor. I'm glad I had that experience.

• remember
    Dec. 2, 2008 11:41 a.m.

I will always remember his conference talks, especially the talk he gave at the April 2008 conference. His dedication to the Lord's work was unmatched.

• Idahoan
    Dec. 2, 2008 11:41 a.m.

I was in the MTC at Christmas one year. Elder Wirthlin and his family shared Christmas with us. I believe all but three members of his family were there. He spoke. Some of his grandchildren played music. It was a wonderful. Thank you to the Wirthlin Family for sharing Christmas with the missionaries in the MTC!

May you feel the Lord's comfort in the days and weeks ahead.

• asoncion
    Dec. 2, 2008 11:51 a.m.

What a wonderful apostle he was, taught me a good deal of the value of time..Ironically, Last Sunday, my VT shared his talk on "Come What May and Love It" of last conference. We laugh and talk of his humor and optimism of life..

• Jackie in California
    Dec. 2, 2008 11:52 a.m.

I love Elder Wirthlin with all my heart. His example and dedication has been an inspiration to me. I knew his love for the Savior by the way he spoke and served. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and the Brethern who love and miss him. I know he has been reunited with his sweetheart and is making his "To Do" lists, continuing the work on the other side of the veil. I will truly miss him.

• DM in VA
    Dec. 2, 2008 11:53 a.m.

What a wonderful talk he gave last conference. His leadership and teachings have always inspired me to be more Christ-like.

• Mark Morphy
    Dec. 2, 2008 11:55 a.m.

Our family will miss you sweet Elder Wirthlin.

• Angel
    Dec. 2, 2008 12:04 p.m.

What a joyous time that we see this Brother moving on to be reunited with his wife. What a great example to us all that he kept working to the very end. While we look back on this great brothers life may we look forward also. As president Hinckley put it "the best is yet to come" as quoted by Henry B. Eyring at President Hinckley's funeral

• Aaron
    Dec. 2, 2008 12:04 p.m.

See you in the Millenium Joseph.

• LJ Smith
    Dec. 2, 2008 12:11 p.m.

My husband absolutely loved Elder Wirthlin's conference talk. He quotes it all the time. He was a great man, and a perfect example to us all.

• One who heard his words
    Dec. 2, 2008 12:12 p.m.

At a time like this, all that can be said is "come what may, and love it."

• A.B. Weston
    Dec. 2, 2008 12:19 p.m.

It was as wonderful to know Elder Wirthlin as it was to hear his talks. His quiet compassion for his fellowman, his concern for the one and his ability to reach out exemplified for me his love for the Savior and his Special Witness of Him. I'm thankful for Elder Wirthlin.

• LORELEI
    Dec. 2, 2008 12:24 p.m.

What a special man he was. He eluded humbleness, kindness & love. I am grateful to have heard his testimony in numerous talks & seen his fine example in living the teachings of the Saviour. Thank you, Elder Wirthlin!

• Dan
    Dec. 2, 2008 12:26 p.m.

I am happy for Elder Wirthlin who will be enjoying a reunion with many family members, most especially his sweet wife

• Asaph
    Dec. 2, 2008 12:26 p.m.

Brother Worthlin's talks helped get me into and stay in the church - a true Apostle.

• Ammon
    Dec. 2, 2008 12:27 p.m.

Joseph B. Wirthlin was a giant of a man, who was founded upon the rock of Jesus Christ. I have learned more about the character of Christ because of this great man. Our families prayers and thoughts are with this gentle man.

• From London
    Dec. 2, 2008 12:41 p.m.

I was married by Elder Worthlin about a month after he was set apart as an apostle. What a marvelous experience that was. He met with us a week before the ceremony at the exact time of the ceremony in his office. I have always cherished that visit and the counsel that he gave me at that time. Thank you for your testimony and your example. You have touched my life forever.

• Terry
    Dec. 2, 2008 12:48 p.m.

You will be missed here in earth. You have touched many lives . What an amazing reunion happening right now

• Jen
    Dec. 2, 2008 12:52 p.m.

I am so thankful for Elder Wirthlin and the men he served with for their willingness to serve the Lord (and us) with all they have. I am thankful to all those who have posted such loving and thoughtful messages. It reaffirms my faith in trying times.

• Scott
    Dec. 2, 2008 12:54 p.m.

I can see him going through the veil and embracing Him of whom Elder Wirthlin eloquently testified is the Redeemer of the world.

• lynn in tn
    Dec. 2, 2008 12:56 p.m.

Farewell dear soul. Thank you.

• cbk16
    Dec. 2, 2008 12:57 p.m.

Inspiring person, he will be missed.

• Magyar
    Dec. 2, 2008 1:07 p.m.

He will be missed, a great man with a great message.

• Ryan K.
    Dec. 2, 2008 1:13 p.m.

I will greatly miss his conference talks and his wonderful example. His talk a few years ago on "The Virtue of Kindness" had a great affect on me and helped give me a greater desire to treat others with more kindness. He was truly a giant among men.

• Provo
    Dec. 2, 2008 1:19 p.m.

I always looked forward to his talks. You can't fake that kind of gentleness, goodness, and wisdom.

• Ute Forever
    Dec. 2, 2008 1:23 p.m.

He will be forever missed in conference talks and countless contirbution to the church!

• Betty Leasure
    Dec. 2, 2008 1:29 p.m.

This wonderful man had a way with words. I, too, found his last Conference talk so wonderful that I shared it with my visiting teaching sisters this month. We will miss you, Elder Wirthlin, but through your words to us, your spirit and testimony live on. Thank you for your example and service. You are loved my many who never had the opportunity to shake your hand.

• In Idaho
    Dec. 2, 2008 1:36 p.m.

I'm reminded of something President Hinckley said when Elder Maxwell died. He said that even though we wouldn't be able to hear his voice again on this earth, his sermons would always be with us. Elder Wirthlin's sermons changed my life. Some of my favorites include, "The Virtue of Kindness" from May 2005, "The Abundant Life" from May 2006, and "One Step After Another" from November of 2001. I'm so grateful we'll always have his words of wisdom!

• Thanks, Elder Wirthlin
    Dec. 2, 2008 1:37 p.m.

What a great life, inspiring messages, and caring person. Coincidentally, or perhaps not, my family discussed Elder Wirthlin's last talk last night in Family Home Evening. Such a fitting tribute to summarize the life of this great man and apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ. We will very much miss Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin. May his family find substantial comfort in his life of service!

• Matthias from Germany
    Dec. 2, 2008 1:40 p.m.

I love that man, I have seen him at the conference center and have feltthe spirit through him. He is now united with his dear wife.

• Penilope. Vodo
    Dec. 2, 2008 1:44 p.m.

Thank you so much dear Elder Wirthlin for all your inspiring messages .I can feel your spirit eventhough I am serving ni the Fiji Army in the Sinai desert.

Wish you all the best , and most espescially for your humbleness and your testimony that gives us power and strength.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 2, 2008 1:44 p.m.

He was a great man. He was truly an Apostle of Jesus Christ. The world was a better place because of him.

• manaen
    Dec. 2, 2008 1:45 p.m.

Farewell, dear unmet Friend.
    I've long enjoyed your counsels and your comments in the last two General Conferences helped my recent-convert fiancee understand why we need apostles and prophets among us today.
    God bless you.

• S. Morgan
    Dec. 2, 2008 1:54 p.m.

A great man and leader left the earth. Job well done. A humble man and a great example.

• Ronald A. Young
    Dec. 2, 2008 1:57 p.m.

We loved him, and we will miss him. Our Prayers go out to his Ohana.

• Shelby
    Dec. 2, 2008 2:06 p.m.

Thank your Elder Wirthlin for being a powerful follower of Christ in your example of humility and love. We will miss you!

• Mark
    Dec. 2, 2008 2:10 p.m.

What a void Elder Wirthlin has left. Such is the life of a beloved Apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ. He was always inspiring and insightful, and was always aware of our problems and always had answers for our needs. And a football man. Even if it was U. of U.

• German Saint
    Dec. 2, 2008 2:14 p.m.

Thank you for serving my people so many years ago. You will be missed greatly. I'm glad you're reunited with your dear sweetheart! God be with you till we meet again.

• Dave
    Dec. 2, 2008 2:17 p.m.

Thanks Elder Wirthlin! Many of your talks within the last decade have stood out to me and have spoken to my personal situations and the time and helped greatly! Thank you for your inspired counsel and dedicated service!

• Anonymous
    Dec. 2, 2008 2:20 p.m.

Together again...and never more to part. Rest in the Lord, and receive your great reward.

• Evans
    Dec. 2, 2008 2:21 p.m.

Elder Wirthlin always made us smile. You brought us so much assurance, love, and greatly strengthened our testimonies.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 2, 2008 2:29 p.m.

God bless Elder Wirthlin for his love, devotion and service to the Saints. Condolences to his family who must know peace in their hearts knowing that he is with fellow Saints and loved ones, especially his beloved wife. Till we meet again.

• Leslie
    Dec. 2, 2008 2:33 p.m.

We are sorry to learn of Elder Wirthlin's passing, and hope his family takes comfort in knowing their father, and grandfather lived so well and helped so many people with his gentle, practical and inspired advice and testimony. He radiated goodness and kindness. His marriage was an example to all. Thank you for everything, Elder Wirthlin.

• RL
    Dec. 2, 2008 2:41 p.m.

He was a perfect example of finishing. He was brave and sweet. What a wonderful servant to the Lord. There is no doubt in my mind who (countless) will be embracing him on the other side. We will miss him!

• Simon Says
    Dec. 2, 2008 2:44 p.m.

How wonderful to read all these positive comments. Truly a marvelous tribute to a wonderful man. He too touched my life in a very deep and personal way. Thank you!

• True Ute Fan
    Dec. 2, 2008 2:52 p.m.

Elder Wirthlin stayed alive long enough to see the Utes beat down the cougars one last time!

AHHHHHH!!! PEACE!!! The work is done!!!

• Anonymous
    Dec. 2, 2008 2:58 p.m.

What a great example to all and future generations. I am sure he is not resting at all. He's asking what he can do at the other side because that's what he loves the most: servicing our Savior and Father in Heaven.

• Grateful in VA
    Dec. 2, 2008 2:59 p.m.

To the Wirthlin family, we mourn your loss. He was a wonderful and faithful man who we loved dearly.

• AZTexas
    Dec. 2, 2008 3:02 p.m.

I was thinking it was sad that he'll miss the Utes' BCS appearance, but now he'll probably have the best seats in the house!

We're all better for having received Elder Wirthlin's counsel.

• Roger C
    Dec. 2, 2008 3:28 p.m.

He will be greatly missed. I have loved hearing his counsel ever since I was at the U of U. His words of love, support, and hope will be greatly missed. I enjoyed being invited to the Wirthlin home for a dinner to celebrate Jane and John when we were all at the U of U

• Sister Perkins in St. George
    Dec. 2, 2008 3:31 p.m.

I loved Elder Wirthlin's sense of humor in his talks! His last conference talk "Come What May And Love It" is one of my favorites! I taught my Relief Society lesson on that topic 2 Sundays ago. I felt so good when I got many compliments from the sweet sisters!

• Melissa
    Dec. 2, 2008 3:37 p.m.

Elder Wirthlin has become so dear to me. His talks and articles have lifted and blessed my life so much, and given me help when I needed it. I will truly, truly miss this humble, great servant of our Heavenly Father and His Son. What a great example of enduring valiantly to the end! I am so happy he can be with his dear wife, but feel sad at our loss. Thank you, Elder Wirthlin, for all you have taught me. We will miss you!

• Cynthia Stacey
    Dec. 2, 2008 3:48 p.m.

It is funny that this very morning I would have read that very conference talk mentioned in this article. I refer to the talk he gave at the last conference. It really touched me and made me sit up and take notice. So often in life we choose misery over happiness. I appreciate his last words to the saints as well as the many years of selfless service. My condolences are to his family. His service and love has touched many. How wonderful to have a father, brother etc. to be close to that is well respected and loved. I look forward to some day making his acquaintence. May the Lord bless you in this time of grief.

• Troutman
    Dec. 2, 2008 3:50 p.m.

Elder Wirthlin was my kind of Leader! Unassumming, Humble, caring, not flashy, and teachable example.

Coming from me that is something, because I am basically a Jack Mormon. Someday I may come fully back!

• Senior Missionary in Hawaii
    Dec. 2, 2008 3:53 p.m.

What a wonderful body of wisdom he has left us in his Conference talks. His speeches are referred to all of the time and he will be greatly missed. Thank you, Elder Wirthlin!

• Alicia
    Dec. 2, 2008 3:54 p.m.

Thank you for your unwavering example of faith and devotion to our Savior Jesus Christ. Truly you will be missed.

• Curtis
    Dec. 2, 2008 4:40 p.m.

I've wished someone would write his biography so I could learn more about him. Will someone please write it!

• Ken
    Dec. 2, 2008 4:50 p.m.

Life and death are inexorably connected. When a life lived so filled with humble service to The Lords Church and each of us it is a time of celebration. What is the worth of knowledge and understanding of Gods Plan of Happiness if we do not embrace it with love? Imagine the unimaginable, if you will, what a celebration is taking place on the other side of a veil much thinner than many of us truly know as Elder Wirthlin and his beloved bride Elisa embrace and weep for joy in a grasp that will never again be parted.

• Arizona
    Dec. 2, 2008 4:51 p.m.

"Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin has been released from the Earthly portion of his calling as an Apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ, Prophet, Seer, and Revelator. All those who would like to give Elder Wirthlin a vote of thanks for his service may so signify by raising their right hand!"

Dec. 2, 2008 5:09 p.m.

for your years of service.

He was a good man.

And I had no idea he was in his nineties. He had such a youthfulness to him. :)

• Greg from California
    Dec. 2, 2008 5:25 p.m.

A giant member of the church and of the Quorum of 12 and one of my favorite GC speakers. I saw him int the SLC airport a number of years ago as he was off on his errand for the Lord. We appreciate his family for letting us get to know him. He was on loan from God.

• Visalia
    Dec. 2, 2008 5:30 p.m.

We shall miss him, his testimony and his talks.
    When he spoke it seemed he was speaking just what you needed to hear.
    May his family know how we have loved him, and how we to will be mourning the loss, but we know what a wonderful place he is returning to.Peace he now has, and now he is with his wife, and what a joy that is for him.
    thank you Elder Wirthlin Family for sharing your father with us.

• Dave
    Dec. 2, 2008 5:31 p.m.

Thanks to all that have added comments. It is wonderful to see and feel from you just how loved Elder Wirthlin was while serving us all. I loved his talk "Sunday will Come" and it now it has come for him. I always loved hearing him speak. I was especially touched by the talk that he gave when he was so weak that he needed assistance to stand but he would not quit until he had finished his task. So it was with his life.

• Daniel
    Dec. 2, 2008 5:41 p.m.

I wish I could be more like Elder Wirthlin. He was unassuming, kind, and dedicated to his God, family, and community. He didn't aspire for power, but did the rights things for the right reasons.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 2, 2008 5:50 p.m.

We read his talk for our last 4th sunday lesson. He did come to our stake conference when I was younger too. Great man.

• Irreantum
    Dec. 2, 2008 5:52 p.m.

Thank you for showing us how to serve our Saviour. A truly dedicated brother who will be sorely missed. God speed, Elder Wirthlin, we love you!

• Janessa
    Dec. 2, 2008 6:30 p.m.

I can truly say that he was my favorite apostle. The spirit was always with him and he knew how to touch your heart. He has strengthened my testimony and I will miss him terribly. Thank you so much Elder Wirthlin for your dedication to the church and for your faithful attitude.

• Michael Lee
    Dec. 2, 2008 6:30 p.m.

Elder Wirthlins first assignment as an Apostle was to change the stake presidency in Vernon, BC. He asked me to be first counselor, just a few months after we moved to Canada from England. I shall never forget his wit and humble attitude for the work. His last talk in general conference was wonderful and showed that wit and humor, and depth of spirit. We shall miss him.

• Ole Stake 70
    Dec. 2, 2008 6:42 p.m.

He was a great motivator, an outstanding missionary, an inspirational leader of people, especially missionaries, a great story teller of his life experiences, always with a moral underlying every one, everlasting for me. Thank you, Elder Wirthlin, for a life well examplified.

• Ovid in Douglas, Georgia
    Dec. 2, 2008 6:48 p.m.

I had the honor to get acquainted with Elder Wirthlin in 1979 when he called and set me apart as the Stake President. He was serving at that time as the Southeast Area President. He helped us through some very difficult and trying times along with Elder Mark E. Petersen. He was a very humble man, but also a man of great strength and courage. I grew to love this very special man. He was truly one of the great leaders of this dispensation. Our prayers are with his family.

• Brother in the Gospel
    Dec. 2, 2008 7:01 p.m.

Such fun and wit, and such brotherly love.
    Now he'll be free to roam the sidelines at the next Utah football game... So GO Utes! You better win this one.
    I will miss Elder Wirthlin, and am thankful to have first met him in his office when he headed Europe many years ago. We last saw each other a year ago and reminisced our football loyalties.
    Such brotherhood comes only through the Gospel.

A Cougar from Finland

• Thanks
    Dec. 2, 2008 7:35 p.m.

A man who practiced what he preached, it was wonderful to hear that a man, humble as he was had such a great testimony and love for the savior. He will be missed. I loved his talk that he just gave in conference, come what may and love it.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 2, 2008 7:55 p.m.

What a great servant of the Lord. You will be missed

• Anon
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:03 p.m.

I loved Elder Wirthlin's talks. they always seemed so profound and helped me tremendously. He also had a great sense of humor. He visited our mission once and after my mission president watched him work until very late Saturday night interviewing and getting up extremely early Sunday morning to talk to the missionaries, he asked Elder Wirthlin when he had time to sleep. Elder Wirthlin, "I get my sleep during the meetings"!

I'll sure miss him.

• Paola
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:30 p.m.

El discurso que mas me impresiono fue sobre el amor que dio el ao pasado y pude sentir el espiritu tan fuerte y me confirmo que fue llamado por Dios.

• Ryan Hill
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:56 p.m.

Elder Wirthlin came to Houston Texas where I was a missionary. I will never forget shaking his hand and feeling the love he had for missionary work and the work of the Lord. He will be missed. He was a giant among men.

• Steve
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:10 p.m.

"Come What May and Love it"

Those six words just about sum up Elder Wirthlin. He was and is a man of great faith, hard work, and loving kindness. He realized and told, in the above talk, that if life was created for us, we might as well jump all the way in and love it. He will be missed by all of us. May his soul live forever in exaltation.

• RBTJR in Plattsburgh, NY
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:17 p.m.

You will be missed, Elder Wirthlin. Your humble testimony, coupled with your gentle humor will always be cherished. I recently enjoyed sharing your last conference message "Come What May and Love It" with my home teaching families. It is easy to imagine the Savior saying, "Well done, thou faithful servant".

• Laurel
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:21 p.m.

It's so sad to loose my favorite apostle! I eagerly awaited his talk in General Conference each session. He had such a refreshing sense of humor and a UTE FAN to boot! I will have such happy memories of this amazing disciple of Christ.

• Mercedes Brown
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:43 p.m.

What a smart servent of Heavenly Father. I always spected to hear from him in conference day. He always fulfill my heart with positiv words, and humble atitude and knowledge. I will miss him a lot. Certanly he will be a great servent in heaven. My condolences to all his family. Love Sister Brown

• Heather
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:47 p.m.

I will miss Elder Wirthlin. I really loved his last conference talk-his message really touched me. Thank you.

Dec. 2, 2008 9:48 p.m.

Thank you for your service Elder Wirthlin.

• Gary T in Idaho
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:52 p.m.

I was very sad to hear about Elder Wirthlin. He is a great apostle. A wonderful, wonderful example of the Lord's love for each of us and to have faith with our trials. May his family know of our gratitude for his faithfulness, service and love for him. May they be comforted at this time.

• Mauricio Gamarra
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:04 p.m.

We, the members of the church in South AMerica, enjoyed every conference Elder Wirthlin's inspired remarks, we will surely miss the apostle, but more than that the incredible human being he lived to be.
    Thank You brother Joseph.

• Alan Brown
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:06 p.m.

Elder Wirthlin carried a feeling of experience and wisdom; that he personally knew from experience about the things he spoke about.

• Beverly Kingsford
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:48 p.m.

I felt that Elder Wirtlin was one of the best men ever. I loved his talks because he talked quickly and kept your attention with things spoken from his heart. I hope they will compile a book with all of his talks in it. I would enjoy reading it very much because every one of his talks was a masterpiece. I loved Concern for The One. I, for one, will cherish his memory.

• Mark in Iraq
    Dec. 2, 2008 11:18 p.m.

We will miss you Elder Wirthlin. Your humor, humility and giant spirit has blessed me. God speed, Mark

• Todd
    Dec. 2, 2008 11:44 p.m.

Thank you for sharing your life with us. God be with you till we meet again.

• J.W. Coleman
    Dec. 3, 2008 12:04 a.m.

My wife and I want to offer our consolation to the family of Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin. A man of tremendous humility and integrity! The world will miss you, Elder Wirthlin. Thank you for your testimony and example, and thank you for your labor of love in the service of the Master, even Jesus Christ. I know your service continues beyond the veil... "How great shall be your joy!"

• Sibusiso
    Dec. 3, 2008 12:14 a.m.

You have fought a great fight and we will always remember your strong testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ.You are the true example that the will of the spirit can over come the weakness of the flesh.

• Hilary
    Dec. 3, 2008 12:29 a.m.

I attended General Conference with my family for the first time in October 2006. We lost our 47 year old dad about four months before and Elder Wirthlin's talk touched us deeply. He spoke about being reunited with our loved ones and that in our darkest Fridays we can take great hope in remembering Sunday will come. I have a framed picture of my dad with one of Elder Wirthlin's quotes from that talk. He will always hold a special place in my heart. I am so happy he is reunited with his sweetheart, what a sad day for us but filled with great joy for him. I will never forget what this great man did for me and my family at a time when it was much needed.

• AEP
    Dec. 3, 2008 12:39 a.m.

God bless him!

• Stella Umana
    Dec. 3, 2008 1:03 a.m.

Dear Elder Wirthlin,
    Reading from you in the past years have taught me the precepts of life. Thanks for coming my way and touching the inner part of my spirituality with the magic in your words as you teach the word of Jesus Christ in all your deeds. You will be greatly missed but I know of a surety that the Angels are happy that you have come visiting. To us that you left behind may we walk by emulating your total humility, honesty and submitt our goings to the will of GOD ALMIGHTY. Adieu Dear Elder Wirthlin.

• Bert Australia
    Dec. 3, 2008 1:03 a.m.

Elder Wirthlin visited Australia several years ago and presided at our Stake Conference.
    Here was a person who was able to see through the mists of darkness blown up by the hypocrisy, intolerance, bitterness, fault-finding and spiritual ignorance of many who wish to witness the demise of the Church. He could recognise and teach the simple truths of the Gospel with a level of humility that is rare.
    At a time when much 'sifting' is occurring within in Church I pray that the Lord will continue to raise up leaders of such quality and I pray also that we all might have the courage and sense to listen to them. There truly is much at stake.

• Krista
    Dec. 3, 2008 1:14 a.m.

Thank you Elder Wirthlin for your excellent example of enduring to the end cheerfully! I am really going to miss your talks! We love you!!

• SLC UTAH
    Dec. 3, 2008 1:21 a.m.

We love Elder Wirthlin. He was an amazing man with a great sense of humor. He will be dearly missed. His testimony and example will live on.

God Bless His Wonderful Family At This Time Of Loss.

• Ken
    Dec. 3, 2008 1:39 a.m.

Wonderful man with a great spirit,humble,loving he had great stories and life to share with us. May his reunion be sweet with his dear companion

• Jeffrey
    Dec. 3, 2008 2:00 a.m.

A sad day. I have to wonder though if Elder Wirthlin's passing is related to the Prop 8 protests. The timing cannot just be coincidental.

• Ellingsens UK
    Dec. 3, 2008 2:25 a.m.

We often spoke about this Apostle's conference speech and found Elder Wirthlin and his speech refreshing and interesting.Condolences to family and friends.

• Scott Soderberg
    Dec. 3, 2008 3:15 a.m.

Elder Wirthlin was a man of god and an apostle of the lord, we will miss him dearly.My thoughts and prayer are with the family especally his daughter Liz and her husband Dan,May lord bless you and comfort you at this time.

• Dan
    Dec. 3, 2008 3:47 a.m.

What a humble and gracious man. A true witness of the Lord Jesus Christ. We will miss you...

• John
    Dec. 3, 2008 6:24 a.m.

Another classic talk was the one he gave shortly after his dear wife passed away. Elder Wirthlin's Sunday has come! We are grateful for his time with us!

• CA Chappell
    Dec. 3, 2008 6:30 a.m.

I will miss "Speedy", as President Monson calls him. What a great example of hard work, spritual groundedness, is that a word?,and love of the Savior. I and my family will surely miss him.

• RN in Ohio
    Dec. 3, 2008 6:51 a.m.

Returned with honor.

• Luis Neit
    Dec. 3, 2008 7:16 a.m.

Behold, a man without guile!
    Thanks for your great example. From the DR.

• Rose
    Dec. 3, 2008 7:18 a.m.

Elder Wirthlin was a great servant of the Lord and one we all have loved and admired for his Christlike life. We will surely miss him but are thankful for what he has taught us.

• anna graham
    Dec. 3, 2008 7:34 a.m.

We always loved Speedy and will miss him .. he was always looking for fun and the most from life and it is no coincidence that his name, Elder Wirthlin, is an anagram of "Thrill Widener" ... that was Speedy alright

• EM
    Dec. 3, 2008 8:05 a.m.

The world has lost a true follower of Christ, and the spirit world will be better for it. A great teacher he was, he will be greatly missed

• Scott
    Dec. 3, 2008 8:21 a.m.

I'll mis him; a fantastic guy, great spotsman. EJW truly lived. He now doesn't have to worry about the riff raff of this world. He won the eternal mega prize. I bet he's laughing now! hope to see ya on the other side! Good bye!

• Matthew Faerber
    Dec. 3, 2008 8:48 a.m.

My life is changed because of Elder Joseph Worthlin. I have been uplifted and inspired by him, by the way he relates to common people with practical stories and counsel, and by his great example of love and humility. I will miss him - God bless the memory of this dear disciple of our Lord Jesus Christ.

• Sharon
    Dec. 3, 2008 9:04 a.m.

When one of our great church leaders pass on - it is always a reminder to the rest of us of how wonderful life after death will be == when we can again associate with such great and wonderful friends and family. Love to the Wirthlin family. We truly loved Elder Wirthlin. He is such a stalwart in the kingdom.

• Bruce Barton (Silver City, N.M.
    Dec. 3, 2008 9:06 a.m.

Elder Wirthlin was a great man, I enjoyed all his talks. It is great he is now with his beloved wife. He will missed by tons of people. Thanks Elder Wirthlin for being a great person.

• What a giant of a man!
    Dec. 3, 2008 9:21 a.m.

I have learned so many lessons from this man. May God bless his family for sharing so unselfishly.

• Wendy Rojas
    Dec. 3, 2008 9:24 a.m.

He will surely be missed!

• One last Goodbye from a Grandson
    Dec. 3, 2008 9:25 a.m.

Grandad,
    Thank you for being the man you always were. You were always real and my grandad, yet an Apostle of the Lord to all of the World. You were always an extremely private person and never sought attention, cameras or the media. Yet you never shunned your responsibilities.

When our family needed you, you were always there for us, even with your busy schedule. There is not a single man on earth that has had a greater impact on my life than you have had on mine. That is what makes saying goodbye to you so hard. You were the best example a grandson could have, and I will forever be thankful for that.

I am sad that I wont be able to see and talk with you again in this life, yet so happy for you to be able to be with Grandma again. Your love for her was perfect. You are the example for all of us to look to on how to be a husband and father. In my eyes, you mastered these duties and were perfect. We are all better people because of you. Grandad, God be with you til we meet again.

Love,
    Steve

• Non-Mormon condolences
    Dec. 3, 2008 9:54 a.m.

I am not LDS but I too lost my father this year. Sharing the family's sense of loss, our condolences to the family of Elder Wirthlin. A kind, wise and gentle voice is welcome in any community and Elder Wirthlin's will be missed by all, not just those of his faith. May his family find strength in his confidence and comfort in his words.

• John Pack Lambert
    Dec. 3, 2008 10:09 a.m.

I am sure it is a great day for Elder Wirthlin. He was suffering greatly in this life, especially since his wife died over two years ago. He has gone to a much better place, to be with her and outside of this life of suffering. He will be missed.

• Cougar
    Dec. 3, 2008 10:11 a.m.

Thanks be to God for the life and example of this great Apostle of the Lord! We love you Elder Wirthlin; you are a man for the ages. True to the faith that our parents have cherished! True to the truth for which martyrs have perished! To God's command, whole heart and hand, faithful and true we will ever stand!

God bless the Wirthlin family this day, and always.

• Markham
    Dec. 3, 2008 10:18 a.m.

Elder Wirthlin was a great apostle. We will miss his wonderful talks. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Wirthlin family.

• Matt in downtown DC
    Dec. 3, 2008 10:30 a.m.

I always looked forward to Elder Wirthlin's talks in General Conference, and always came away touched and with a resolve to be a better person. I love Elder Wirthlin and will miss him very much.

• kenny
    Dec. 3, 2008 10:43 a.m.

the thing that I'm most greatful for is to be a member of the church that is guided and sustained by men such as Elder Wirthlin.Its as always seeing the beacon of the lighthouse as one rides the waves in the stormy sea.Elder Wirthlin was one of many a lightkeeper.We miss those of whom have passed on before and we will miss this brother as well.

• I. Bawden
    Dec. 3, 2008 10:45 a.m.

I am grateful for Elder Wirthlin's example to me. I know that his service is worth emulating. Thankyou Elder Wirthlin, there are so many lives touched because of your kind words.

• Ana Bentley
    Dec. 3, 2008 11:01 a.m.

Elder Wirthlin,
    You were a great apostle. Thank you for helping in every time of need. You are the best!! I wish you the best in heaven, and say hi to Jesus, and if you happen to see them my three year old sister Necia Bentley and my Grandpa Royce Trapier! Thanks!

• A Just Man Made Perfect
    Dec. 3, 2008 11:04 a.m.

Every once in a great while there comes a man who, for all intents and purposes, has achieved perfection in this life: perfect kindness, perfect gentleness, perfect honesty, perfect humility, perfect devotion, perfect charity. Joseph B. Wirthlin was and is such a man--a just man made perfect. No flash, just substance. His talks are a distillation of timeless wisdom spoken in the eloquence of plain, unaffected language. His life here, though completed, will continue to be an inspiration to me.

By the way, his family has compiled some of his greatest talks in a wonderful book published by Deseret Book called "Press On."

• Van Tucker
    Dec. 3, 2008 11:10 a.m.

I worked for the Wirthlin family years ago in the meat business. Although Joe Jr. was my boss, when Joseph B. Sr. came in there was a powerful presence. This is a wonder family and my appreciation goes out the all of them.

• Nancy
    Dec. 3, 2008 11:22 a.m.

WE will truly miss you Elder Wirthlin. I sure did love your talks in conference's but the last one you gave is truly a treasure for all of us to remember to carry on with smiles and laughter no matter what we are facing at the time. Thank you for your years of service and may the Lord be with Your Family at this time with his loving care and comfort.

• njp
    Dec. 3, 2008 11:31 a.m.

From all of us in Montana...God bless this wonderful man and his family. What a truly great example of kindness and sweet humility.

• Brigitte
    Dec. 3, 2008 11:51 a.m.

You and Elisa have been such great friends, and I am glad you can get together again now!
    Wishing you joy forever!

• A. Owen Smoot
    Dec. 3, 2008 12:02 p.m.

Dear Ann Wirthlin Farnsworth & family, I honor and love your father. I remember the first time I met him in person when Ann nearly died in the hospital and I was privileged to be her Bishop. What a remarkable family. My love and condolences to you all and thank you for sharing your wonderful father with the rest of us. He has been a great blessing to all of us. A. Owen Smoot M.D.

• Touched
    Dec. 3, 2008 12:02 p.m.

Your life was "Wirth"-while. Thank you.

• anna graham
    Dec. 3, 2008 12:08 p.m.

Elder "Speedy" Wirthlin will be missed and it is no coincidence that an anagram of his name is "WILD HEELED Y SPRINTER" ... how apt for such a fast and wonderful man

• Roberts Fam
    Dec. 3, 2008 12:18 p.m.

We love you Elder Wirthlin, We loved listening to you, we pray all the blessings of the spirit to be of comfort to your incredible family. Thank you for your love, example, and all of your service in all of our behalf. An Apostle of God has returned with honor.

• Lufilufi Purcell Taua
    Dec. 3, 2008 12:46 p.m.

I will miss this great and humble man during General Conference and I always look forward to hearing and reading his messages in General Conference and in the church magazines. My deepest condolences to his wonderful and lovely family. Have a great journey home Elder Wirthlin!! You will greatly be missed, but your legacy, influence, example, and testimony will forever live on in our hearts!

• Rud
    Dec. 3, 2008 12:55 p.m.

Now, this is journalism, hope journalism, the short story of a long and great life. Forget CNN for an hour and hope for light in the lives of humankind. That flame was ever great in this kind, unasumming man.

• papalou
    Dec. 3, 2008 3:56 p.m.

Thank you Elder Wirthlin for your life of service and dedication to the gospel of Jesus Christ. You will be greatly remembered and sorely missed. Till we meet again.

• Todd Wirthlin
    Dec. 3, 2008 4:09 p.m.

At my mother's funeral in July "Jo" came up to me after the service and said "You will see her again and it will be glorious".

I will miss the times he came up to our ranch in Wyoming during the summers. He loved the open space and the peace it gave him.

He had the true understanding of the Gospel and shared with everyone that wanted to hear.

I will miss you "Jo"

• Evan E
    Dec. 3, 2008 6:34 p.m.

I remember meeting Elder Wirthlin while serving a mission for The Church in the Ireland Dublin Mission in '86. He hadn't bee called to the Apostleship at that time, but I remember the spirit was very strong with him. I can imagine his reunion now with the Prophets of old, along with the late President Hinckley, and Elder Faust, along with his sweet wife !

To the Wirthlin Family, may the Lord be with you at this time !

• Tory
    Dec. 3, 2008 8:29 p.m.

What a great and wonderful man. We will truly miss him.

Best wishes to his family.

• Jay Chen
    Dec. 3, 2008 8:30 p.m.

Thank you for all you done, we will miss you!

• Brian
    Dec. 3, 2008 9:33 p.m.

You have deeply touched our lives with your kind words and deeds. Your have exemplified what it means to be a true representative of our Savior.

• Southerner
    Dec. 3, 2008 10:52 p.m.

One of my favorite quotes by Elder Wirthlin was when he said that we must "end our fixation on wealth." I had never heard such counsel regarding riches hit so directly and succinctly. Rest in Peace Elder Wirthlin.

• shawilli
    Dec. 4, 2008 2:00 a.m.

249 comments and not an unkind word in any of them, but one would be shocked and indeed offended if there were an unkind word spoken of this Giant of The Lord. I join with the entire church in expressing my condolences to the Wirthlin family, what a remarkable and humble servant of the servants of God.I have been blessed along with the entire church by this faithful and kind servant's words and his tireless example to us all over these many wonderful years we have been privillaged to have him amoung us. God bless the memory of this mighty man in Israel and may God be with you till we meet again.
    Shaun Williams

• South Bend Cougar
    Dec. 4, 2008 4:31 a.m.

Elder Wirthlin's testimony and example have changed my life for the better. How grateful I am for his years of service and dedication to the Lord and from reading the comments above, his personal service to his children and associates. We will do well to seek to pattern our lives after his.

• Patricia Hopson Bradley, NC
    Dec. 4, 2008 10:25 a.m.

When joining the church in 1978 while our sons were young, Elder Wirthlin was part of the memories of my first teachings from the church. He gave great words of comfort and wisdom during that time and all the years since have been inspired to live the gospel each time I have heard him speak or read his talks. He will be greatly missed but I have no doubt he will carry forth the work of Jesus Christ on the spirit side of the veil and meet his beautiful wife there. May God bless all of his family and our prayers are with them. Each day we pray for the leaders of the church in all they do to serve the Lord and his children. Prayers and Love from the Bradley Family in Swannanoa, North Carolina.

• Paul
    Dec. 5, 2008 6:26 a.m.

God Bless Joseph Wirthlin and is family and close friends, I said close friends because he has so many friends and admirers, he is a great man.

• Elder Elisha
    Dec. 8, 2008 5:46 a.m.

I am personally uplifted spiritually reading his onference addresses hearing of his death brings sadness to my heart but i am certain his is with God i have to be firm bold and enthusiatic as him