Utah Utes basketball: Southwest Baptist stuns Utes at home

Comments

• AK Cougar
    Nov. 15, 2008 5:03 p.m.

How? Wow, I hpe the Utes put it together for the remainder of the season.

• jd
    Nov. 15, 2008 5:03 p.m.

WOW, not one thing has changed since last year. A coach who can't call a play and win a game in the final seconds. Happened a dozen times last year. BOYLEN MUST GO, a coach with head coaching experience must be hired. Absolutely ridiculous, wake up Chris Hill. BOYLEN IS HORRIBLE!

• Ute fan
    Nov. 15, 2008 5:03 p.m.

I was at the game, extremely embarassed with the outcome. Better show up and play better on Tuesday or we will be 0-2 to start the season

• Ute fan
    Nov. 15, 2008 5:06 p.m.

This loss is by far the worst loss in our history, guard the 3 pt line, giving up 16/32 threes is unacceptable

• GO UTES!!!!
    Nov. 15, 2008 5:08 p.m.

i don't know how your opening sentence of this article was that the utes were shocked. its not very shocking when weve been losing to teams like southern baptist for the past 4 years. first was southern utah now this. i couldnt care less about this team anymore. good thing the football team is fantastic. i hope we kill byu next week

GO UTES!!!

• Wow
    Nov. 15, 2008 5:12 p.m.

Oh my. Southern Baptist must be awesome to knock down the mighty Utes in the Huntsman Center.

Look out Mountain West.

• Nelson Muntz
    Nov. 15, 2008 5:13 p.m.

Ha ha.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 15, 2008 5:15 p.m.

What was Stony brook farm all booked up?

Seriously...Southwest Baptist?

And they lost?

Bring back Giacoletti!!!

• Ha Ha!
    Nov. 15, 2008 5:16 p.m.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha! That's funny. Get used to losing to church schools.

• The NIT
    Nov. 15, 2008 5:17 p.m.

It's going to be an uphill battle this year. I have confidence in Coach Boylen and the team. This is hopefully a wakeup call. And - you've got to hit free throws!!

• confused
    Nov. 15, 2008 5:19 p.m.

I can't believe this. This is like losing to SLCC. Maybe they need to water down their schedule more.
    Discraceful for the Mountain West Conference.

• OOOOOOOO
    Nov. 15, 2008 5:40 p.m.

Isn't Southern Baptist a high school?

Good thing this wasn't on the Utes home court. Wait...

Looks like the Ute Women's team will be able to beat Boylen's boys.

• Two points
    Nov. 15, 2008 5:54 p.m.

1. BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

2. It seems that the traditional athletic fortunes of BYU and Utah have switched places. Utah seems to be in the driver's seat in football but hapless in basketball. BYU is good in football but not as good as Utah (sad to say, but true), but BYU usually has a decent basketball team.

• Grazing Ewetes!!!
    Nov. 15, 2008 6:09 p.m.

Please, keep coach Boylen. It increases the chances of the Ewetes opponents winning. Good hire. What a great sportsman coach Boylen is, letting all these nobody and worthless teams win.
    There is always next year Ewetes!!!!

• Ute Buddy
    Nov. 15, 2008 6:17 p.m.

Boylen is in trouble. I don't see him making it here for too long. This is a joke.

• Easy Poor Sport Fans
    Nov. 15, 2008 6:18 p.m.

Some of these comments are totally ridiculous. This is not Boylens fault. Put the blame where it should be. He inheirited this bunch of flunkies. Whats he do to do, get the athletic director to let him dump all of these second raters? Give the coach a chance and I'll bet he makes you nay sayers eat your words.

• RE. Eat my words
    Nov. 15, 2008 6:39 p.m.

Boylen's been here long enough to recruit some players. But apparently not good enough to be a community college.

Eat your own words.

• true blue
    Nov. 15, 2008 6:41 p.m.

This team is an embarrassment to basketball in Utah. This is boylen's fault. You don't have to let a team shoot lights out from the three. Relax though. This is not nearly as bad as Virginia losing to Chaminade.

Embarassing.

• Beaker
    Nov. 15, 2008 6:47 p.m.

Another year of boilin' boylen and beaker together losing...Go COUGS

• Because Of These Negs
    Nov. 15, 2008 6:50 p.m.

I have never been able to stomach BYU but because of these negative Boylen comments I hope The Y stomps the Yewts in football this next week, and in basketball twice this year. You get what you sew fans.

An Aggie Fan Down South

• post game
    Nov. 15, 2008 7:13 p.m.

You watch. Boylen will blame all of this on his players. He is like Bush. He cannot take responsibility. He always blames his players. Great coaches look at what they did wrong and adjust it. They never blame their players in the press. That is wrong

• Dog
    Nov. 15, 2008 7:20 p.m.

Now this is the way to bring out the fans!!!

• Surprised, but laughing
    Nov. 15, 2008 7:35 p.m.

I recall some posts this morning, Ute fans talking smack how they finally have the best big man in the conference and will wipe up on the MWC. And making fun of BYU by beating Long Beach State by "only" 10 points. Hmmmm. As of this moment, the entire conference has 1-0 records except for the Utes. Way to drag down the conference RPI. And way to go, giving Southwest Whatever it's first victory ever against a D-1 school. And in the Utes house, too. You all better hope that the Utes beat BYU in football, or it's really gonna be a long year for you. Sympathy goes toward the Ute players, but tremendous laughter goes toward all the Ute fans whose lives seem to be based on the fortune or misfortune of the Ute teams.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 15, 2008 7:46 p.m.

That's o,k.

Women's gymnastics has to be starting pretty soon....

Where is Giac?

• This is not a bad loss...
    Nov. 15, 2008 7:51 p.m.

SW Baptist will go to the final four this year. You heard it here first.

• Cougar fan
    Nov. 15, 2008 8:19 p.m.

That is just fun to hear. Keep it up Utes! We love ya and respect that program...NOT!

• losers
    Nov. 15, 2008 8:41 p.m.

Hey how 'bout those BABTISTS. It's going to be a long year when the uke's lose to the cupcakes they schedule! I think theBig Sky has an opening!

• BYU Fan
    Nov. 15, 2008 8:47 p.m.

I am BYU fan, but was born in a VERY red family. I watched nearly every Majerus game growing up. This is not Utah basketball. I still think that Boylen deserves some more chances to get things together, but maybe not another season. Utah did not make the NIT last year, and things aren't looking much better this year after this. It's not good for BYU, or the conference as a whole. I'm hoping for a turn around this season Utes. Go BYU next week.

• Cable Guy
    Nov. 15, 2008 8:57 p.m.

As my friend Larry would say, NOW THAT'S FUNNY, I DON'T CARE WHO YOU ARE!

• Huh?
    Nov. 15, 2008 8:57 p.m.

Quality D-1 teams don't lose at home to Southwest Baptist Community Bible School. How pathetic. The Utes will be lucky to win five conference games this year.

• Utah Watcher
    Nov. 15, 2008 9:08 p.m.

That's what happens when the Ute women's team shows up for a men's game.

• Not a fun game anymore
    Nov. 15, 2008 9:10 p.m.

Last year, and now it looks like this year, the Utes look like they are overcoached! They don't play free and Boylen barks way too much on each play. If Boylen would stop thinking he has all the answers and let the kids play, the Utes might win. Boylen, here's some advise. Don't put more than 10 thoughts in your kids minds a minute!!! Ute BB is sick (in a bad way)

Go UTE FB!

• my stomach hurts
    Nov. 15, 2008 9:20 p.m.

...from laughing so hard! The yewts...lost...I can hardly type this...my hands are shaking I'm laughing so much...just hilarious...they lost to who? Southwest Baptist something? Who...hahahahaha...who in the world is THAT?? Maybe they should have scheduled Southwest Airlines instead!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

• Anonymous
    Nov. 15, 2008 9:42 p.m.

Southwest Airlines? Is that suppose to be funny?

• Personally
    Nov. 15, 2008 9:52 p.m.

. . . I'm a Coug fan. But I can't take any pleasure in the Utes losing in preseason to a D-II school in their own building.

It's just so pathetic, the only thing I feel is pity. Although I usually love to see Utah lose, I gotta say that loyal Ute fans, and I know many, deserve better than this.

• Exactly why
    Nov. 15, 2008 10:01 p.m.

You Ute fans shouldn't be commenting on BYU stories about how much better you're going to be than the Cougars, because you really don't want to get caught eating your words, like you are now.

• San Diego Ute
    Nov. 15, 2008 10:02 p.m.

This can't be! Is this a fluke or the future? Can anyone say... we need "Rick the Pick"?

• Dawid
    Nov. 15, 2008 10:04 p.m.

Let's see, Southwest Baptist has 1600 undergraduate students, mostly education majors. They were ranked 12th in the pre-season Division 2 coaches poll. Their conference has perennial D2 football champions - Pittsburg State, and Northwest Missouri State.

• Too bad
    Nov. 15, 2008 10:13 p.m.

Looks like utah can't get talented players and coaches anymore.

• Bridger
    Nov. 15, 2008 10:14 p.m.

Southwest airlines is funny!

HA!

• Ouch.
    Nov. 15, 2008 10:35 p.m.

This one is WAY to easy. I won't even say it.......

• Bill
    Nov. 15, 2008 10:36 p.m.

A couple of corrections - This is not an embarrassment to either the Mountain West Conference nor the State of Utah.

It IS a HUGE blackmark on the quality of the University of Utah's basketball program - PERIOD.

The upside, however, is that there is only one way to go from here, and that is up! Keep working hard and you might make it to that same post-season tournament that you went to last year, whatever it was.

• j
    Nov. 15, 2008 10:36 p.m.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

• CHRIS
    Nov. 15, 2008 11:35 p.m.

The other night I read comments by Utah fans making fun of BYU for BEATING a little school. This one is just too easy, I will just let this game speak for itself!

• Show Me State
    Nov. 15, 2008 11:45 p.m.

SW Baptist bible thumps the Utes!!!!

Being a native born Missourian, a devout BYU fan, a member of the LDS faith and a current resident of Utah nothing could beat this!

Oh my heck! Go bible thumpers!

• Cougar fans who post here
    Nov. 16, 2008 12:10 a.m.

How many of you were even alive the last time BYU won an NCAA tourney game? Men's basketball, that is. Hmmm?

• chuck
    Nov. 16, 2008 7:42 a.m.

I am very familiar with SBU program, they are a great DII team. They played Southern Illinois in their exhibition game and gave them a great game. They have a couple players who were at D1 programs and transferred. But to give up that many 3's is just poor perimeter defense. And a good D1 program never loses to a D2 at home. Not a good start for Utah. I just hope my Missouri State team can when when you guys come down to Springfield in a few weeks.

• re: Cougar fans who post here
    Nov. 16, 2008 9:33 a.m.

Oh brother here we go again. Quite predictable though. Every time the yewts do poorly one of their bandwagon delusional fans starts dwelling on their past "greatness" and "glory" to try to show they are actually better than their Big Brother. That is so pathetic. But like I said, quite predictable. And the sad thing is they don't understand that past accomplishments don't erase what's happening currently.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

• ?
    Nov. 16, 2008 5:10 p.m.

When is Utah's home opener, I missed it. Oh apparently they did too!

• Utterly Uteless
    Nov. 17, 2008 12:20 a.m.

Oh Nice... sheesh ~ No Excuse for that!
    Hope they're ready when a real team comes to town. Very Weak! Poorly prepared...

• Johnny D.
    Nov. 17, 2008 5:52 a.m.

Boylen only gets paid $500,000 a year. What do you expect? Pay him $1,000,000 and he will produce.

Man you people on here only complain. Look at it from coach's eyes. He is underpaid so he is under performing.

Come on everyone.

• WHAT??
    Nov. 17, 2008 12:14 p.m.

Couldn't help but notice this comment from USA Today UofU BBall page.

"I am excited about our team and the opportunity we have this upcoming season," said head coach Jim Boylen. "We're going to do our best to play a style of basketball that our fans can be proud of."

Not to big Jim, this is not the type of basketball U fans are proud of. As a season ticket holder my patience is wearing thin. I al getting sick of losing games like this one, and really getting sick of Boylen losing it each game. It is getting old!

• CBI
    Nov. 17, 2008 2:51 p.m.

Hey Utes....Hopefully you can put together another season like last year and make the Church Ball Invitational. Maybe Southwest Baptist Church will be there and you can get revenge.

I hear the American Fork 9th ward has a pretty good team and even won Region last year. If you end up playing them in the CBI, keep in mind that overhang in the cultural hall may knock down a few shots. They also make the team sit on the stage, because there is not enough room between the side line and the wall....Just looking out for my Utes. Come on boys win the Stake Championship.

• Coach Boylen
    Nov. 17, 2008 2:56 p.m.

I am officially starting a Boylen fan club. PLEASE.....PLEASE......keep him around. He deserves at least 5 more years. He is the best coach in the Nation. I think every other Y fan is behind me on this one.

• Get Real:
    Nov. 17, 2008 3:37 p.m.

It is called the College Basketball Invitational. It is a post season tournament for elite NCAA Div 1 teams. They will not have any church teams. Get your facts straight. I am sure they have a good team down in your happy valley ward, but you will not be in the CBI. Please!!!! Do not post comments if you do not have your facts straight. GO Utes.

• Bearcat Fan
    Nov. 17, 2008 7:18 p.m.

As a grad of SBU I can tell you they are for real and a real Div II power year in and year out. All that to say it is still fun to see them beat a Div I team even if they are the Ukes. We will take the win and PRAY for Utah this season. Looks like they may need it!!

• royalones
    Dec. 11, 2008 2:31 p.m.

Just to give you an update, those "Bible Thumpers" of Southwest Baptist are currently ranked #4 in the latest D2 polls - averaging over 95 points a game and are tops in the 3pt FG%.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 23, 2008 9:29 p.m.

Note that now SBU is ranked number three in D2 and undefeated. Could it be that SBU was just the better team?