Utah Jazz notes: ESPN columnist disses Williams

Comments

• Casey
    Oct. 27, 2008 1:24 a.m.

I saw that article by Simmons. Here was my E-mail to him:

10-15 years from now I am going to remind you of this: "Paul has a chance to go down as one of the best 25 players ever". C'mon Bill, really? You beleive that?

I dont know where you and I are going to be 12 years from now but I know where Chris Paul will be and thats on the scrap heap with Penny Hardaway and if he is lucky he will find his way onto the "what could have been shelf" with Grant Hill.

I know you watch a lot of B-ball and consider yourself an expert but you gotta pull your head out on this one.

-Casey

P.S. Watch the next game that Paul and Williams sqaure off. It should help you get through this whole embarrassing episode of man love.

• Anonymous
    Oct. 27, 2008 3:01 a.m.

Great email Casey,

To Simmons, your stuff is cute. It really is. I get to chucklin to myself when I read it occasionally. But I don't think I've ever learned anything from your column. Keep the cuteness and celebrity trivia coming though. Head to head, Williams has dominated. AND I don't really care what anyone says, Williams is a stud and the real deal.

Peace out.

• Crybabies
    Oct. 27, 2008 3:14 a.m.

I think that Utah sports fans (and sadly Utah journalists as well) have this inferiority little brother complex that is just really pathetic and immature. "Bill Simmons doesn't think Deron Williams is as good as Chris Paul. Waaaaah" "Simmons says Williams isn't even in Paul's league. Waaaaah." "Kirk Herbstreit said that Fresno State was better than BYU. Waaaaaah."

In most states and cities, if someone in the national media doesn't pay your favorite player or team respect, you move on without thinking two seconds about it. I mean, why does it matter if someone doesn't think what you do?

What's really sad is the title of this article. "ESPN columnist disses Williams." He didn't "diss" Deron. He didn't say Deron sucks. He even said that Deron has the potential at being one of the greatest athletes to ever play his position. Does that sound like "dissing" to you? Really, think about it. Why is he "dissing" Deron? Because Deron isn't as good as Chris. WAAAAAAAH

• ikenhowitzer
    Oct. 27, 2008 6:59 a.m.

Crybabies:

Wow, I think you may have a little crying problem yourself...anyone who cries about the crybabies has an issue themselves. I think Utah fans are tired of having their team downplayed by sports talking heads. Paul is not the same type of player as Williams. Paul is a solo player, Williams is a team player that is why UT went after Williams. He is tougher, smarter and lacks the ego that many stars have (which Paul is developing). Williams will be around longer than Paul. Williams=Stockton/Magic, Paul=Hardaway/Marbury. ESPN has gotten it wrong since I began watching sports, their columnists are all partial and lack the ethics to be real journalists so don't let it get you down.

• Virginian
    Oct. 27, 2008 7:03 a.m.

Hey Crybaby, Utah sports fans are not much different than anywhere else. I have lived there and now in the East. The biggest difference between Utah sports fans and people out here is the passion and loyalty they have for their teams. That is not a bad thing. Yeah, they take it personal. That's because they care. It's not an inferiority complex. It's a passion for the sport, the team, and the players. Don't be a hater. In an attempt to sound like a smart and unbiased sports fan you actually come off as a whiner yourself. Let people have a passion for the Jazz, Cougars, Utes, Real, whatever. Deron is bigger, smarter, and better than Paul. Paul is quick and little, and that will only get him so far.

• Jumbo Slice
    Oct. 27, 2008 7:06 a.m.

Ahh..yes fall is upon us and that brings basketball and like clock work the Jazz fans crying and whimpering and whining. I love it.

• wow
    Oct. 27, 2008 7:46 a.m.

Anyone who has watch Williams vs Paul knows that Daron has his number. In todays hip hop NBA Paul will always get the pub... as long as Williams continues to own Paul and the Jazz win I'm happy

• Utah Whiner
    Oct. 27, 2008 8:18 a.m.

People think they are so cosmopolitan by talking about Jazz fans or BYU fans as out of the ordinary. Well "crybabies", we all think you are a big city stud and very sophisticated. Most of us have no idea what it is like in the "real world" so keep your insightful commentary coming.

• Jayron
    Oct. 27, 2008 8:45 a.m.

They're both good. Really good. Who agrees?

• Team Player
    Oct. 27, 2008 8:48 a.m.

I think Deron is going to have such a "break-out" year this year that the national analysts will be forced to take notice and stop overlooking him. Deron's got some serious flash of his own... remember his 4 three pointers in game 6 against Houston? And the two magnificent dunks straight down the lane from the top of the key at the end of one of the Laker games? He's learned so much from being on the Olympic team and from the last two playoff years, I think he's just going to wow people this year! Ever the underdogs, GO JAZZ!

• Jimmy's Mother's Sneakers
    Oct. 27, 2008 8:54 a.m.

Chris Paul is a great player, but he commands the ball everytime he goes down the court. Deron, on the other hand commands the ball, but is more of a team player willing to share the glory with other players.

Its funny how most of the sports media say Paul is a lot better than Deron but are short minded when it comes to head-to-head competition, where Deron has dominated from Day 1.

• Rules
    Oct. 27, 2008 8:56 a.m.

Paul is CURRENTLY favored by the rules. About 10 years ago the rules were changed to disallow or limit hand-checking, and playing away from the basket. Paul and Williams will be playing for probably 15-18 more years (players just play longer these years). If the rules ever swing back to a more contact-based basketball (not just around the hoop) the slight edge that Paul has will be erased.

Think about it, if Williams could create physical contact at the 3-point line, Paul would be DONE.

• Ygrad
    Oct. 27, 2008 8:58 a.m.

Isn't Simmons a Red Sox fan? That should be enough proof that he's not firing on all cylinders, and so his statements should be taken with a grain of salt.

• Tommyk
    Oct. 27, 2008 9:15 a.m.

Everybody has there opinion, maybe Mr. Bill, I don't even compare you as a great sport anayst? your just another guy in a bar who has his own opinion? what better peanuts or pretzel? you probably get that wrong to? stop thinking you know anything about basketball. Chris paul is great and D-will is in the same car. Just like james and Wade? next time you diss on Dwill, make sure you get your fact Right.

• DLS
    Oct. 27, 2008 9:19 a.m.

Last year I heard an interview with Phil Jackson. He talked highly of both Williams and Paul. Then the reporter asked who he would choose to be on his team and he said Williams. Ill take Jacksons opinion over Simmons any day of the week.

• DLS
    Oct. 27, 2008 9:30 a.m.

To Crybabies: Where are you coming from? I lived in San Francisco and now Denver. Fans are the same everywhere, they say things that support their teams. And idiots are the same everywhere, they say idiotic things.

• Anonymous
    Oct. 27, 2008 9:35 a.m.

I kind of like Derron Williams.

• Zeke
    Oct. 27, 2008 9:39 a.m.

Who cares what Bill Simmons thinks? Deron has provin what he can do against Paul. In head to head matchups Deron always out plays him let`s not forget the Jazz are 8-2 against the Hornets with Deron and Paul facing each other that`s the only stat that really counts.

• Calgary Jazz
    Oct. 27, 2008 9:46 a.m.

Please do not start nonsense like Williams lack of ego. His ego is biggest on Jazz team.

• To everyone:
    Oct. 27, 2008 9:50 a.m.

Take note that Simmons is a "FANTASY" sports writer. Since fantasy sports are all about statistics, mainly points, Paul is a better player for someone's fantasy team because he scores more. Deron is a better all-around player that will have a better and longer career.

• Top 25???
    Oct. 27, 2008 10:07 a.m.

Without a doubt Paul is an impressive player but top 25 ever? I doubt it.

Stats show all Pauls steals. The reason he gets his steals is because he constantly gambles for steals because he knows larger players can/do score over him easily. When you consider the points he costs his team by gambling so much vs the steals he gets...likely a wash in terms of net effect/result.

ESPN's Hollinger/others also write that Paul is the beneficiary of some "dubious assist" totals. In New Orleans and even on the road he gets assists that could not be considered assists by any measure but he gets them.

He throws to David West in the corner. West dribbles around, backs his player down and after 5 seconds of 1 on 1 maneuvers up an impressive shot around his defender. Assist Paul?? He gets 1-3 extra assists/game other PG's don't get.

Give him credit for the steals no doubt but when they ever include the stat of his defensive gambles/misses resulting in points then I'll listen. Without Chandler covering he'd be even worse.

He gambles, gets away with uncalled "travels" more than anyone, can't defend 1 on 1. Top 25??? Don't think so!

• BJ Jazzy Rasta
    Oct. 27, 2008 10:08 a.m.

He who wins the most championships by the end of his career...wins.

Thanks Sports Guy for fueling Deron's fire!!

• Beef Jerky
    Oct. 27, 2008 10:10 a.m.

Pretty much everytime Williams and Paul play each other, Williams excells over Paul on the stat sheet. Wouldn't it be cool if they both could compete against each other, head to head,in some huge NBA sponsored event to settle this argument forever? Like in the NBA All Star Weekend Skills challenge or something like that and see who wins! Oh wait, they did that last year and Williams kicked Pauls booty! Oh, and wait again, speaking of one of them being the best 25 of all time, Williams is THE best of all time as he set the record for the event while kicking Paul's booty! Paul was small and Deron was Scarin'! Happy Halloween! I actually like them both and glad that they are chums. What more could you ask for than what has been proven in front of the world for everyone to see? I'm thinkin' the ESPN guy must have been in the shower during that event.

• Williams vs. Paul
    Oct. 27, 2008 10:11 a.m.

Who cares. They are both awesome players. I don't think Paul will fade away. However, I think this comment will only ignite Williams and put another chip on his shoulder (so Thank you!).

• Miles
    Oct. 27, 2008 10:13 a.m.

At least he didn't diss me.

• #1 jazz fan
    Oct. 27, 2008 10:22 a.m.

there is a difference between ego and CONFIDENCE! Deron has confidence.

• Simmons "expert" opinion
    Oct. 27, 2008 10:29 a.m.

This is the same fool who picked Denver to win the NW division last year!!! Very credible.

I am not sure how he gets picked to be an ESPN "expert" when he's wrong most all the time but somehow this guy gets paid for this "analysis".

By the way, second half of the season last year D-Will averaged more assists/game than Paul. DESPITE the fact Paul get totally bogus assists awarded to his totals on a routine basis.

Unlike Paul, D-Will also does not travel nearly every play either. Yes, I know travelling occurs alot in the NBA but most of it is by big men. How do you think Paul gets by those big men to score in the paint? They jump for the block and Paul takes an additional step to get by them.

Ref's let it go because he is one of the NBA annointed superstars like Kobe. We have all seen Kobe jump directly into players initiating the contact while the defender stands vertical. Miraculously, Kobe is standing on the free throw line 10 seconds later getting some more "NBA annointed" points. Same deal for Paul. The stats are "NBA produced" vs. player produced.

• Re: Zeke
    Oct. 27, 2008 10:32 a.m.

If you look at their individual stats as well, Deron is far superior. I hope Deron takes this as another slight and shows how strong he is. This is just another example of media figures deciding how the nation views sports figures.

• To your milf of a mom
    Oct. 27, 2008 10:32 a.m.

Deron is the real deal and is fun to watch. I was sooo glad that Utah chose him over Chris Paul and I still am.

• utah only
    Oct. 27, 2008 10:53 a.m.

when the Jazz play the hornets, the N.O. papers don't even mention the match up.. Jazz writers are the only people who care.

• Anonymous
    Oct. 27, 2008 11:19 a.m.

Bill Simmon's HATES the jazz... if you read his stuff, he constantly rips on Karl Malone... if he thinks Karl Malone is over-rated, how can you take anything he has to say about the Jazz seriously? So some guy who thinks that Patrick Ewing is a better player then Karl Malone doesn't like D-Will? Who cares! The guy's an ignorant sports writer who really only watches Boston and LA, and spends little time watching or writing about anything else. He's a Boston homer and doesn't seem to know much about sports outside of his home city.

• Who cares
    Oct. 27, 2008 11:27 a.m.

What any national sports writer thinks. Anyone who has followed the Jazz know they are always overlooked along with their players. Paul is a great player and so is Williams, however I do believe Utah has a better shot of winning a championship before New Orleans does.

• It doesnt really matter
    Oct. 27, 2008 11:28 a.m.

In truth, both players are amazingly good and are vital for their teams to succeed. Even though they play the same position, comparing them to each other is like comparing apples to oranges. Paul is smaller and has already shown that he isnt as durable. However, because he is smaller, he is also a lot faster, thus creating different opportunities for his team mates. However, Deron has a higher shooting percentage and has longer range. I also feel that he plays better defense because of his size.
    For Simmons to compare the 2 and say Deron doesnt belong in the same league as Paul is only obsurd. Every analyst that has wrote anything about the two, have compared them to Steve Nash and Jason Kidd. We all know what they have accomplished in their careers, so who's one sports writer to say that Paul is better than Williams (or that Nash is better than Kidd).

• The Story Remains the Same
    Oct. 27, 2008 12:01 p.m.

To Utah Only: Baloney, I mean, Bologna Jambalaya.

• miles
    Oct. 27, 2008 12:04 p.m.

I think Mrs. Howell was HOT.

• Miles
    Oct. 27, 2008 12:09 p.m.

I am not too sure how you can say that Paul is a Top 25 forever guy. He hasn't been in the league long enough to say that. That shows what an idiot the ESPN dude is having made such a comment. I still think Paul is a better player than Deron but the Jazz picked the right guy for their system. Paul wouldn't have fit in Jerry's system. I think is Deron was allowed to run free on the court as Paul is allowed, he would be right there with him. Deron is a better team player.

• LA Sports Guy
    Oct. 27, 2008 12:09 p.m.

Las Vegas doesn't even take odds on who's going to win between the Lakers and the Jazz, they are only covering bets on how much Utah will lose by! Go Lakers!!!

• Experience Tells
    Oct. 27, 2008 12:10 p.m.

I think the reason the Jazz picked Williams over Paul was with their experice with Stockton, Jerry got tired of seeing Stockton get beat up every night, he wanted a point guard big enough to fight through a screen. I know Stockton was durable but if the choice is between a big stockton and a small stockton I would go with the big stockton.
    Bottom line I think both players are a great addition to the league and the Jazz were lucky to get Williams. I don't see how praising Paul demeans Williams.

• PurplePeopleEater
    Oct. 27, 2008 12:19 p.m.

Bet D-Will's ankle (if he sees this article) will start getting better faster. Not that he's not trying to get ready for Game 1, but motivation like this does him a lot of good. He's used to this kind of dissing, anyway.

The Jazz are lucky to have D-Will. CP's smaller body won't last as long, and he has yet to show he can lead his team against D-Will's with any consistency. D-Will simply outplays him nearly every time they meet.

I love it when idiot writers give our guys reason to work harder.

• Against all the evidence
    Oct. 27, 2008 12:29 p.m.

This guy can say whatever he wants because his job is to help ESPN control the opinions of sports fans. It does not mean he is right.

In fact, there is no evidence yet to suggest that there is a better NBA point guard than Deron Williams right now. For example, he has outperformed Chris Paul in head-to-head games and has more or less matched him statistically.

We know Deron is better, or at least as good. I just hope that's good enough for Deron.

• Old Port
    Oct. 27, 2008 12:55 p.m.

I wonder how things would be viewed on a national level if D-Will was in NO and Paul with the Jazz. This guy just jumps on the popular band wagon to make himself marketable with the "trendy" team pick (i.e. Denver) or a player who gets him more readership. I find it interesting the Jazz get all the props from people who don't need this kind of affirmation to make their careers.

• my thoughts
    Oct. 27, 2008 1:13 p.m.

Simmons is off on comparing D-will and CP3. They are both very talented and both (if they can stay healthy) will end up in the decussion as top 10 pg of all time. They will both end up above Kidd, GP and Nash - even though Nash had 2 incredable seasons.

But for any of you that thinks that Simmons does not know basketball. You must be clueless. He is a very entertaining writer, but he also watches more basketball than me and anyone else here on this blog.

• Anonymous
    Oct. 27, 2008 1:16 p.m.

Bill Simmons is the biggest HOMER in the media. He is a fan, not a journalist.

Need evidence? Listen to his podcast, appropriately titled "The B.S. Report".

• TucsonUte
    Oct. 27, 2008 1:19 p.m.

Can you spell M-O-T-I-V-A-T-I-O-N? I can hardly wait until D-Will's ankle heals so he can shove his ability right in the writer's face. Some days you have to wonder what writers are thinking when they sit down at the computer.

• Is Deron better?
    Oct. 27, 2008 1:48 p.m.

I think NBA columnist is correct. Who makes the team better. Look at NO Hornets. They do not have superstars. Paul made West a All star forward. None of his teammates complained about he not passing the ball. Deron is very biased leader and does not want to pass the ball to some guys on his own team. A leader is the one that makes his people successful. I do not think Deron is that and he can never be in the greats if he does not change his attitude and be unselfish. Come on guys! Think about it.

• DH
    Oct. 27, 2008 2:01 p.m.

It all gets taken care of on the court. Who cares what anyone thinks, especially a sports writer! That's one of the good things about sports (except for the BCS) you get the chance to prove in on the court or field.

• L.A. Jazz Fan
    Oct. 27, 2008 2:11 p.m.

Here is why Bill Simmons is wrong:

If you asked Chris Paul what he thought of Bill Simmons' comments I bet he would say that Simmons is full of you know what.

Simmons basically lost even more credibility than he had before (which was not that much).

I can understand if you dismiss one player in comparison with another because there is an actual tangible difference; this guy points out nothing substantial; he's just fueling the fire with his idiocity. Based on his logic I guess the Clippers should win the West and meet the Washington Wizards in the NBA finals.

Go Williams and Go Jazz!!!

• Anoymous
    Oct. 27, 2008 2:14 p.m.

Those are fighting words Mr. Simmons. Get your head on where it belongs. Both Williams and Paul will be in the Hall of Fame one day and you'll be on the scrap heap. Write about something you know more about instead of making up dumb stuff about tow of the most popular point guards since John Stockton.

• Coach K?
    Oct. 27, 2008 2:27 p.m.

The only person in Basketball to give a true opinion of these two great players is the Olympic Coach, Coach K (won't even try to spell his name :) ). He's the only one that knows the pros and cons of both players! But we'll never hear that opinion!

• Williams > Paul
    Oct. 27, 2008 3:41 p.m.

Paul = 1 playoff series win.

Williams = 3 playoff series wins.

Nuff said.

• Good News for Jazz Fans
    Oct. 27, 2008 4:09 p.m.

Williams thrives when underestimated. Remember his performances after the all-star snub?

• T-Rex
    Oct. 27, 2008 5:15 p.m.

Thank goodness these debates can be settled on the court. By the way, what was the last NBA team to win a championship with a point guard as its best player? The 1989-90 Pistons with Isaiah Thomas. Ouch. So this debate probably doesn't even matter.

• Good news???
    Oct. 27, 2008 5:24 p.m.

This may be good news for us Jazz fans. When people say things like this about Williams, it only lights a fire under him. He's going to rip everyone this season................as long as his ankle heals correctly.

• jazz fan
    Oct. 27, 2008 5:52 p.m.

Ok lets be honest- they're both amazing... easily the best 2 point guards in the league.

With that said, I'm still glad we got Deron. I would not change it even if given the chance. He is amazing.

D-WILL YOU ARE THE MAN

GO JAZZ!!!

• Another Jazz Fans in Asia
    Oct. 27, 2008 7:22 p.m.

Between the two, who can take up the scoring responsiblity if his teammates are with cool hands?

It is D Will, not CP3.

• Who Cares
    Oct. 27, 2008 8:42 p.m.

I don't care who is better. D Will plays for my team and I hope they crush the Lakers and then the Hornets to go on and win a ring.

• Anonymous
    Oct. 27, 2008 10:07 p.m.

Does it hurt to be a homer of this magnitude?

• Nancy
    Oct. 28, 2008 1:14 a.m.

CP3 and D-Will have their strengths. But I think that D-Will is a big weapon in the Jazz arsenal. Last season I heard TV commentators say that he was a great "closer" at the end of games. During the Olympics I saw him throw a dagger through the heart of the Spaniard team when "He made perhaps his biggest shot of the Olympics during the fourth quarter, hitting a 3-pointer in a tight game with 7:30 left that gave the U.S. a seven-point lead."(Scout.com) I'm glad the Jazz took D-Will, no disrespect to CP3. I hope the media keeps underestimating D-Will because that will make his triumphs that much more enjoyable!

• Gimme D-Will
    Oct. 28, 2008 2:58 a.m.

John Madden used to pick guys on his "all-competition team" -- any sport, any time, anywhere. He liked Derek Jeter at the top of his list. Gimme D-Will.

• ANON
    Oct. 28, 2008 1:22 p.m.

The author's only way of fighting back was to make fun of Simmons' "saved by the bell" reference??? Use some stats or something.

• STEVE-O
    Oct. 28, 2008 2:28 p.m.

Mr. Simmons only tries to stir up reaction and attention to his articles and sadly we've fallen for it!
    I can't say that Williams or Paul is better than the other right now. The stats are essentially even. In 5-10 years we'll know who's "better." All I know is if Deron can bring Utah a championship I'm happy.

• ryan
    Oct. 28, 2008 3:15 p.m.

So no countering his argument with your own thoughts? You're just going to focus on one little quip Simmons made and call it an article? There's no ignoring the fact that Simmons is right, so you just make fun of one sentence. He's not cutting Williams down, he's saying that he will be one of the best point guards of his generation, which is really, really good. But Paul could be one of the best ever, which is also true and far and away different from Williams' status. Its weird to think that could happen, but when you really consider it, its true.

• G-Money
    Oct. 28, 2008 3:20 p.m.

First of all, I like Williams a lot, and he's on my fantasy team and has been since his second year. But you guys are crazy if you think Simmons is just bashing Williams. It's his job to talk about his opinions and he believes Paul is the better player, and how can you blame him? Paul has taken a much less talented team and done better with them. This article was ridiculous, it's clear there isn't much to write about in Utah sports if this is what you make articles about.

• B-Rats
    Oct. 28, 2008 3:41 p.m.

Funny how Ms. Genessy quotes more Saved by the Bell than Simmons.

I love D-Will, love what he has done in head to head against the Hornets, love what he has done in the playoffs, love his game. I'm a huge Jazz fan.

However, I'm with Bill on this one, Paul is special and has a better chance of being a NBA Legend. D-Will should be a perennial all-star (can not believe this has not happened yet), but Paul will be a perennial MVP candidate.

• Williams vs Paul
    Oct. 28, 2008 3:47 p.m.

Williams has 3 times as many playoff wins as Paul. Paul has missed more games than Williams.
    Every time Williams and Paul meet up, Williams kicks Paul's butt.

I remember when they used to say Jason Kidd and Gary Payton were better than John Stockton.

• Best PG --> Derrick Rose
    Oct. 28, 2008 3:51 p.m.

Simmons sent me

• deron will
    Oct. 28, 2008 4:25 p.m.

Interesting how he said that deron is going to be the best in his generation, maybe he doesnt know enough to understand that paul and deron were drafted the same year.... duh, paul is in the same generation so he just admitted that deron is better. Only problem is he believes that paul is in the top 25 ever.....If paul and deron are in the same generation and he admits deron is better than yea paul may make #25 only to be beaten once again by #15 DERON WILLIAMS! GO UTAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

• ast
    Oct. 28, 2008 4:26 p.m.

I agree with simmons there is no comparison. DERON IS WAY BETTER THAN PAUL, BOTTOM LINE.

• blazer fan...
    Oct. 28, 2008 4:47 p.m.

Simmons also predicted the Jazz would win 42 games tops last year...

• Josh
    Oct. 28, 2008 4:59 p.m.

Simmons says Williams has a chance to be "one of the best point guards of his generation" and you liken that to Simmons comparing him to Screech? Methinks this "journalist" (way to stay objective by the way) is a little too sensitive.

• Williams vs Paul
    Oct. 28, 2008 4:59 p.m.

8-2 for williams better numbers head to head also, Simmons is right how is there a comparison, Williams is by far the better player.

• J-Dizzle
    Oct. 28, 2008 5:14 p.m.

Enough bantering lame ones,Who cares? You know what I care about, are the Jazz better than the Hornets, are the Jazz going to win. As much as I love D-Will, and love watching him play, if he was injured all year and the jazz won the championship, i couldn't care less.

• Elliott Z
    Oct. 28, 2008 5:37 p.m.

You all say that you don't care what some "idiot" sportswriter from ESPN says, yet you clearly care enough to vent like a 5th grader who didn't get enough Halloween candy.....funny.

• Wow...
    Oct. 28, 2008 5:43 p.m.

I think it is funny how bent out of shape everyone is getting about what Simmons said. He didn't say that Paul is already a top 25 all-time player, he said he has a chance to become a top 25 all-time player. Also everyone saying that Williams is a better team player...how can you be a better team player and average less assists? They are both true point guards, making them both team players in a non-team player age of basketball. Also, the job Paul has done is more impressive than Williams. Williams came to a better team and situation, Paul went to a worse team right in the middle of Katrina. Paul saved basketball in New Orleans and turned West into an all-star, Boozer already was an all-star. Don't get me wrong I am from Utah and love Williams, he is my favorite player, but Paul is a better PG.

• Why 1 better than the other?
    Oct. 28, 2008 5:44 p.m.

I am a huge D-Will guy but to say that he is better that CP3 or vice versa is just crazy anyways. They play in 2 very differnet systems and are each very good at what they are asked to do. To me I think they are 2 of the best on the planet and I am just excited to be able to watch great point guards play for years to come. GO LAKERS!

• Moto X
    Oct. 28, 2008 6:25 p.m.

Boozer already an allstar? On what planet? He was an allstar AFTER D-Will made him into one!!! He was no allstar in Cleveland--he came here for money and because there was a PG to give the PF the ball!!

Truthfully D-Will and Paul are very close but Paul is quicker and D-Will is a better shooter--check the stats if you question what I say. They are comparable, there is no big disparity as Simmons tries to portray.

D-Will statistically would be better if Paul did not get sooooo many bogus assists added to his totals. It is well documented and undeniable. He is the benefactor of being one of the NBAs annointed!!

Stats counters and NBA officials help Paul get alot of what he gets. He does not come by all his stats honestly as opposed to D-Will who truly has to earn his!!!!

Lets face it--if you are in a market the NBA wants to promote then the NBA will make sure you get what it takes to make you look as good as possible.

New Orleans, Katrina, dilapidated arena, Cp3???? That is story. D-Will and the mormons in SLC? Not so much????

Its all about money!!!!

• Kyle
    Oct. 28, 2008 6:57 p.m.

Simmons' word is the gospel. He is the best sportswriter on the planet. He is right, watch Chris Paul, Deron is great, but Paul is better.

That being said, I am excited for the Jazz this year. I am making the pilgrimage to SLC for the December 11th game vs. Portland. Can't wait!

• joN.
    Oct. 28, 2008 7:32 p.m.

I think it's totally obvious. Stone Temple Pilots are way better than Pearl Jam.

• J. Seattle
    Oct. 28, 2008 11:34 p.m.

It's funny how in love you SLC guys are with Stockton and Malone. Yea, sure they were really good players and put up great stats. But they never won a championship (MJ ate Malone alive in the year Malone won the MVP) and thats why they will always be considered really good, and not great.

• Anonymous
    Oct. 29, 2008 1:03 a.m.

I don't think its about DWill or Chris Paul. Bill Simmons is an imbecil!!! All the national sell-outs are (Minus ESPN's number-crunching Hollinger!). Gred Oden, ha didn't make it past opening day. LeBron's big MVP season, starts with choking at the line. Washed up Kobe? Hope you TiVoed his killer game tonight!!! Truth is that there will be 4 games at Energy Solution's arena (and we pray for at least 4 more in the Playoffs) featuring the 3 most INFLUENTIAL players in the league; studs who before their arrival their teams' had no idea how they'd arrive to Championship stature. Yes, I'm a D-Will fan, and yes how can I root against Paul, he's FUN to watch, and yes I'm an AVID Kobe fan (It's almost Anti-patriotic not to be after the Olympics), just as I adore Jordan though my heart-strings still tremble when I think about the Shot heard round the world (after "The Push"). Fellow small-market, underdog lovers, we're always gonna get snubbed for our low-alcohol olympics, Stockton's "uncool" shorts, non-BCS and Coach of the Year-less teams. Wait til 2009's year in Review when they're reeling highlights of 2 BCS teams and a Jazz 'SHIP! BELIEVE!!!

• Ethan
    Oct. 29, 2008 1:30 a.m.

Look, it's alright to love D-Will, he's an incredible player, a class act, and a worthy face for your franchise. But come on, you all are trying to say CP3 has an ego problem, that he's selfish? Or that Williams has matched Paul statistically? Neither have any basis in fact. Paul is better in every single statistical category except for a slight differential in three point and fg percentage. Williams is also a year older.

I'll give you that D-Will has won the individual matchups, but they haven't had all that many yet. And even if D-Will can outplay Paul in a head-to-head, what really matters is how successful they each are over the course of an entire season. Simmons is right, unless Paul dramatically falls off or D-Will makes a quantum leap, the comparison just simply shouldn't be made. I'd say it's like comparing Lebron and Wade. Both great players, but one is clearly superior to the other.

• Re: Ethan
    Oct. 29, 2008 3:16 a.m.

The statistics favor CP3, but the postseason performance leads us to Williams. Wow, that sounds a lot like the Lebron/Wade debate. In the end Wade has the ring.

• Gimme a break
    Oct. 29, 2008 3:20 a.m.

This guy needs to do some stat checking. Who's won more head to head matchups between D-will and CP3? Who's been to the Western conference finals already and who hasn't? Who won last year's all star skills contest IN NEW ORLEANS I might add?

The fact of the matter is, people like Chris Paul more than Deron Williams simply because his style of play is a little flashier. I think they'll both have great careers, but D-will ain't never gonna get the same respect from everyone else as long as he plays in the small market franchise that is the Utah Jazz and that's pretty sad.

• Jazz Fans
    Oct. 29, 2008 8:58 a.m.

are losers!! CP3 is the point gurad of this gereration. Williams is a solid point guard. And all you people are losers!!!

• RE: CRYBABIES
    Oct. 29, 2008 11:44 a.m.

I HAD TO RESPOND TO THIS ONE! I'LL BET THE REAL CRYBABY IS THE MILK TOAST HIMSELF! DID YOU HAVE ANY FRIENDS WHEN YOU WERE YOUNGER THAT DIDN'T HERT YOU?

• Honestly
    Oct. 29, 2008 12:40 p.m.

Who cares? I love the NBA but comparing players and even picking a top 25 alltime? stupid.

• Ignorant Article
    Oct. 29, 2008 1:11 p.m.

You obviously haven't read Simmons enough if you're thinking that he's "dissing" on Deron. The guys has given Williams all sorts of love in the past and has even recognized his success in their head to head match-ups. He actually paid Williams a huge complement saying he has the chance to be one of the greatest point guards of his generation. Go back and do your homework and read his past articles, especially the one about how much better the all-star game would have been if Williams playing in the game. Just a lame attempt by a weak local writer trying to stir the pot. While Williams is as nice a point guard as there is in the league, Paul is more polished and has won with less talent on his team.

• Wrong
    Oct. 29, 2008 2:41 p.m.

I hate the small market crap...Duncan plays in one of the smallest markets in the league and is considered one of the 10 best players of all-time. Garnett, Paul, LeBron, Melo all play in small markets...if you're a start you're a star. The New Orleans market is roughly the same size as the Salt Lake market. If Paul and Williams switched places Paul would still be the more popular player.

• Justin
    Oct. 29, 2008 3:18 p.m.

Utah is a terrible, terrible state.

• Daniel
    Oct. 29, 2008 4:12 p.m.

Williams has been on a much better team then Chris Paul every season. That's why he wins head-to-head matchups. Look at the stats. By any comprehensive measure, Paul lis light-years ahead of Williams. Their teams should be close to equal strength this coming season. The Jazz without Williams are a 40-win team. The Hornets without Paul are a 30-win team. Do the math. There's a reason why Williams hasn't made the All-Star Team yet.

• JerseyEer
    Oct. 29, 2008 7:42 p.m.

Bill Simmons is absolutely right. Chris Paul will probably be better than John Stockton was. Deron Williams may be almost as good as John Stockton was. Anybody who has seen them both play can't reasonably argue that.

• ben
    Oct. 30, 2008 1:08 p.m.

The reason jazz fans and writers compare deron and paul is to try and avoid admitting the team made a mistake. with chris paul instead of deron williams, the jazz would have beaten the lakers last year. as a jazz fan, i enjoy watching deron play, but chris paul possesses more natural ability than williams. drafting a player because he has the size suited for a particular style of offense is absurd. you take the best player available. period.

• Matt
    Oct. 30, 2008 9:35 p.m.

Paul is way better. No other way to say it. They are different players, but CP3 is better. Paul is the next isiah thomas (except most likely will be better), DWill is the next Gary Payton (best case scenario). DWill has better players around him, but CP3 makes his team better. Whoever says that DWill has his number obviously has never seen them play...it's not the case. The only aspect of the game that dwill's better is his outside shooting. Paul slashes better, he passes better, he handles the ball better, he draws fouls better, and he plays WAY better defense.

Bill Simmons is absolutely right. Utah fans need to stop being butthurt. Jerry Sloan is a great coach, but the one thing that he's proven is that he'll win a lot of games but has absolutely no capability to win it all. If he can't win it all with Stocton/hornachek/russell/malone/ostertag in late 90s Western conference, he's certainly not gonna win it with dwill/brewer/ak47/boozer/okur in late 2000's Western conference.

God i hate the Jazz.

• CP3 is better
    Oct. 30, 2008 11:13 p.m.

Wow, you Utah fans accuse Bill Simmons of being a homer with his Red Sox and Pats, but you guys are even worse. And Karl Malone was horrible. Stockton did all the work. There is a reason Malone never won a championship.

I have watched both play and CP3 is amazing; Deron is good, but not amazing.

• Not even close?
    Oct. 31, 2008 1:02 a.m.

22.3 PPG 11.5 APG
    23.7 PPG 10.8 APG

Those were the averages of the two players during the second round of the playoffs....somehow Paul is on
    another level and Deron isn't even close.

All of Deron's teammates were shooting in the low 40s in the playoffs, yet his numbers got better......how is he a product of his teammates, when his teammates get worse, and he only gets better?

• Captain Spaulding
    Oct. 31, 2008 12:45 p.m.

From what I can see Utah's fan base needs a hug from Robin Williams. "It's not your fault. It's not your fault."

• Cameron
    Oct. 31, 2008 3:40 p.m.

Welcome Bill Simmons readers!

(He linked this in his column)

• Kelson
    Oct. 31, 2008 3:44 p.m.

Come on, Jazz fans. Lighten up a little bit. Bill Simmons considers himself an NBA Fantasy Basketball Expert. And he is correct, Paul is much better than Deron, in terms of Fantasy stats (individual effort). Paul is top 25 easy when it comes to his Fantasy output, thanks to his insane totals in steals, assists, and points.

To the guy who said LeBron and Wade were in the same league: That is an idiotic statement. LeBron clearly has the edge. Wade only has a championship because he has had a better team.

To the guy making the point that Williams has won 3 playoff series to Paul's 1. This is not a fair assessment because two of those playoff series wins have come against my injury ridden Houston Rockets. Our half-able team took the Jazz to seven games. It's not saying much when you beat a team without their superstar playing.

• Rockets fan.
    Oct. 31, 2008 7:36 p.m.

Houston was healthy when they went to 7 with Utah, quit BSing.

• I empathize
    Nov. 1, 2008 8:48 a.m.

As a Wolves fan, it killed me every stinking time I saw someone say Duncan was better than KG. I knew what KG did game-in, game-out, year-in, year-out with a vastly inferior supporting cast than Duncan. I still believe, if those two swapped spots, KG would have three rings, and Duncan would be a newly crowned Celtics champion. I still believe KG is the more complete player. But, like it or not, perception is reality. And, the vast consensus around fans of the league is Duncan is the better player than KG. In my heart, I'll always believe KG is better, but I'll accept popular opinion -- it is what it is. The reason I'm telling you all this? I know in your heart you believe D-Will is better Paul. But, popular opinion says the opposite. Why give yourself an aneurysm fighting that opinion -- it is what it is.

BTW, Bill Simmons is not an "analyst." He writes for Page 2. He's a comedic writer who's a big sports fan and makes no bones about being a homer. It's his shtick. And for anyone to pop a gasket over anything he writes makes his day. Quit fueling the fire.

• thezinch
    Nov. 3, 2008 6:46 p.m.

In my opinion way too much emphasis on statistics and "head to head" matchups. Any NBA analysis worth its salt will look at the totally of the way the two players play the game.

Deron is an excellent player, in a brilliant offensive scheme, with other excellent players complementing that scheme around him. The drafting of Deron is a testament more to the Jazz management and its commitment to a certain style of play more than anything. Deron runs that offense extremely well, but he simply doesn't have that extra something that separates regular players from the Magic, Birds, Lebrons, Jordans of the world. Paul... baring injury does.

Paul is simply a puppet master on the court. Nothing happens without his manipulation of the offense and opposing defense. This is what makes him great. Almost every offensive possession results in an open shot, or mismatch due to his puppetry. I agree with Simmons, while Deron is good, there is no comparison.

• Greg
    Nov. 3, 2008 8:29 p.m.

Disagree Zinch.

Watching Williams in the playoffs, he did have the takeover mentality of a superstar, especially late in games. Nearly everyone else on the Jazz underperformed, but Williams always rose to the occasion.

Deron is perfectly capable of taking over a game on his own merit, ask the Spurs about 2007. He completely toyed with Bruce Bowen that series and averaged 30 PPG fairly easily before turning his ankle.

Williams does what it takes to win, if that mean using less possessions that a Chris Paul and sacrificing "statistical" glory, he'll do it. I don't think any Jazz fan has a problem with that.

• Bill Simmons