Utah Jazz notes: Kirilenko will keep new role

Comments

• Miles
    Oct. 21, 2008 7:13 a.m.

Even Sloan is singing his praises. Everyone in the locker room knows they need CJ to win it all. He will be the Man by year's end.

• Tommyk
    Oct. 21, 2008 7:43 a.m.

This is why knight is here! to run the offensive until D-will get back, heck i throw AK47 as point, if we need him. Go Jazz!!

• Miles
    Oct. 21, 2008 8:39 a.m.

AK at the point? And Magnus thinks I am the crazy one!!

• Anonymous
    Oct. 21, 2008 9:36 a.m.

Miles is probably not even a jazz fan. I bet he is a rocket fan who wants to get his hand on deron williams.

• Sloan
    Oct. 21, 2008 10:11 a.m.

I wouldn't say Sloan is singing his praises, it's more, he's conditioning his voice for practice...

Miles is sloppy, sporadic, and too trigger happy.

He needs to calm down and play within the system.

• magnus
    Oct. 21, 2008 10:48 a.m.

Just because Tommy K is crazy it doesn't mean you are not, there's plenty of room in crazy town for all of us.

I was just thinking about the other guys on the injury list, besides Williams:

Knight
    Harpring
    Collins

Does anybody really miss these guys in the lineup? I wouldn't mind having Harpring back for a 10 minutes a game tough guy/enforcer but in general I don't think the Jazz would be an worse off this season if they just released all of these guys.

• Miles
    Oct. 21, 2008 11:23 a.m.

Not a Jazz fan? Funny, very funny. Biggest fan there is. Magnus. We do not need Collins, Harpring or Knight. We need to get them off the team and not send anyone to the D league this year. The bottom feeders need to practice every day with the elite players to get better-- not play in some glorified high school/college league. But if Harpring does heal OK, he is good for some bang up minutes on the opposing team. For some reason Sloan likes Collins because he does what he tells him to do. But again, if we don't improve our team, we will not win a championship. The Lakers are tough this year.

• Miles
    Oct. 21, 2008 11:23 a.m.

Oh and "GO CJ"

• To magnus
    Oct. 21, 2008 11:32 a.m.

I totally agree with you regarding Collins, but we still need 3 PGs and I'm not convinced CJ is the answer there. I also like the 10 enforcer minutes we can get from Harp. Enough that I wouldn't release him this year.

• Miles
    Oct. 21, 2008 11:34 a.m.

Sloan........The system in Utah is half of the problem that we don't win championships. If Sloan would use the talent he has, we would blow everyone away.

• Anonymous
    Oct. 21, 2008 12:20 p.m.

Almond should play the point he's a stud

• Hollywood
    Oct. 21, 2008 12:23 p.m.

Give Sloan credit for getting away from his "system."
    I never thought he would do something as bold as bringing AK off the bench, even though it has been discussed on some fan boards.

Miles is clearly not better than AK, but if he starts and plays 6-7 mins, that lets the offense go through the other 4 starters w/o having Andrei feel left out.

AK is such a great passer, he really should be on the court whenever Deron is not, especially since Price is not a pure point guard.

We're very fortunate Deron's injury appears to be mild. I had a similar injury (coming down on someone's foot) and was hobbling around for over a month.

It may cost Utah a win or two, but Deron and the rest of the team will be even more focused after he returns to make up any lost ground.

• Miles
    Oct. 21, 2008 12:26 p.m.

I assume you are talking about "almon" because the is no "D" in almond. He couldn't guard a mop.

• Miles doesn't know jack.
    Oct. 21, 2008 12:53 p.m.

Miles is ruining this site. CJ just isn't that important but he is getting so much play here?

AK going to the bench will be more of a factor. AK has looked so much more agressive in his back up role. He was active taking the ball to the basket and he didn't seem to worry about making a mistake or if he should defer to Booze or D-will. Carlos' turnovers are more of an issue than what production you will get out of Miles at this point.

I think the biggest issue facing the Jazz this year is if AK plays great off the bench specifically at the 4 spot and Milsap does the same thing....Is Carlos disposable? He didn't play well in the playoffs, he doesn't play a lick of defense. You haven't heard Jerry mention his name half as much as D-Will at this point. Is Carlos a winner? or a stat filler? Will Carlos play defense? if he played it like Malone, we would have a chance this year! Carlos is the number 1 issue this year going into the season! not Miles!!

• Mike
    Oct. 21, 2008 12:56 p.m.

Miles over AK-47

Whoa

Talk about getting more bang for your buck and less for your Rouble. LOL

• magnus
    Oct. 21, 2008 1:02 p.m.

Totally agree with Hollywood, great point about AK.

From the sounds of things Knight may not see much time anyways, even with Deron hurt, so once he and Deron both come back Knight will just be dead weight. I say cut him and Collins loose and keep Fes and Kosta on the active roster. Send Almond for one more year in the D-League and see if he can learn how to play team basketball.

• Miles
    Oct. 21, 2008 1:13 p.m.

I think Magnus is running this site. CJ is very important to the team. If he doesn't step up then AK can not come off the bench. So before you run your mouth, think about the importance of Miles in the big picture.

• magnus
    Oct. 21, 2008 1:22 p.m.

12 Man Active Roster

PG: Williams, Price
    SG: Brewer, Korver
    SF: AK, CJ, Harp
    PF: Boozer, Millsap
    C: Memo, Fes, Kosta

The crazy (awesome) thing about this team is that almost everybody can play multiple positions. Boozer, Fes, and Harp are really the only one position guys on the team. I mean the combinations are endless...

Starters: D-will, Brewer, CJ, Boozer, Memo
    Second Unit: Price, Korver, AK, Millsap, Fes
    Small ball(8SOL): D-Will, Brewer, CJ, AK, Millsap
    Zone Buster: D-Will, Korver, Brewer, AK, Memo
    Big Lineup: D-Will, Brewer, AK, Memo, Fes
    Bigger Lineup: D-Will, AK, Millsap, Boozer, Memo

I could go on and on. I guess what I am trying to say is that I am exited for this season, and I really REALLY think the Jazz should cut Collins.

• LT
    Oct. 21, 2008 1:55 p.m.

*** EVERYONE PLEASE STOP RESPONDING TO "MILES" -- IGNORE HIM AND HIS STUPID COMMMENTS AND HE'LL EVENTUALLY GO AWAY ***

Every day he gets on here to try and rile up everyone by shooting his mouth about how great C.J. is and how he should play point guard. The articles usually are not even about C.J. but all the posts are because of him. It's obvious by his comments that he's not a true Jazz fan because he bashes everyone else, including D-Will who everyone knows is an absolute stud. As a die-hard Jazz fan, I like C.J. and am pulling for him. However, I am reasonable and know that starting him at the point is not the answer. I hope he fulfills his potential and succeeds at the 3 because it will help the Jazz ... but PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO "MILES"

• @ Miles
    Oct. 21, 2008 2:01 p.m.

CJ doesn't have to step up that much in order for AK to come off the bench. When the starting lineup is on the floor, Miles will be the fourth or fifth option on offense; once D-Will gets back he will definitely be fifth. The Jazz's starting lineup is solid enough that Sloan just needs a warm body that isn't too much of a liability on defense. As long as someone can fill that minor role, the Jazz theoretically can more than make up for what they lose on the front end by making greater use of Kirilenko's energy on the backend.

If Miles doesn't come through (which is still a possibility given his lackluster play in the preseason), you can still start Korver or Harpring and have AK come in behind them. I think Miles' athleticism and versatility potentially make him the better guy for the starting role than Korver or Harpring, but if he continues to play so inconsistently I'd choose either over Miles.

• Miles
    Oct. 21, 2008 2:08 p.m.

Magnus.......All you need to do now is send your thoughts to Kevin and Jerry. Sloan could never think in that many different directions. He only knows how to do one thing: Pick and roll. Collins has no place on this team. What a waste of a front row seat at the games. They could sell his seat and get more out of him than they are paying him.

• My thoughts
    Oct. 21, 2008 2:18 p.m.

Here are the minutes for the Jazz
    Point Guard
    Power Forward
    Boozer 34
    Millsap 14
    Center
    Okur 34
    Millsap 14

On Offense the Jazz plays a lot of pick and rolls/motion offense. The Jazz wing players need to be really good at playing off the ball (as either a shooter Horni or Korver or a slasher Anderson or Brewer). If the wing player needs the ball in his hand they usally don't suceed (see Morris, Benoit in the past) Russel was never very talented, but he learned how to play without the ball and therefore suceeded - CJ and Almond both need to learn this to suceed.

AK also needs the ball in his had. The Jazz have finally found a way to get him the ball more. By putting CJ in with the first 7 minutes of each half is very cunning. AK can play with the bench and we can run the same offense the Jazz ran after Malone/Stockton left) The Jazz won 41 games with (AK, Harp, Arroyo, Bell, Collins)

• Bigjazzfan
    Oct. 21, 2008 4:02 p.m.

TO THOSE WHO COMPLAIN ABOUT CJ MILES:

He can't improve on the things you have mentioned by NOT playing.

• Miles
    Oct. 21, 2008 5:10 p.m.

LT you are an idiot. Did I say anything about miles playing point guard on here in place of Dwill? CJ is much better than knight and Price at the position. Just because I think Paul is a better player than deron doesn't mean I don't like dwill. So take your comments back to your little hole where they belong.

• Miles
    Oct. 21, 2008 5:13 p.m.

What's wrong LT. You not getting enough responses to your weak posts. Say something of worth and maybe someone will notice you. I don't read anything in your post that says anything except you are jealous of my knowledge of the game. And yes I am a Jazz fan, just not a fan of losing every year in the playoffs. You probably have a conservative job and take no chances in life. We all know your kind.

• Re: Bigjazzfan
    Oct. 21, 2008 5:22 p.m.

Nobody's complaining about CJ. We're just saying a certain serial commenter who has made himself CJ's namesake needs to be a little more realistic.

• Yup
    Oct. 21, 2008 5:41 p.m.

Looks like "Miles" has lost it. And frankly I'm sick of hearing from him. I'm with you LT. The only way to save the Jazz comment boards from his madness might be to play the old "ignore" card.

• magnus
    Oct. 21, 2008 5:55 p.m.

@ Miles

Actually Jerry has been talking alot aobut playing with different lineups during the pre-season most of it has centered around AK and CJ but I have also heard him mention Kosta, Memo, Price and Korver when talking about mising things up with different lineups.

I think alot of people like to forget 2003-2004 when the Jazz went 42-40 with the following players getting the majority of the minutes

AK
    Carlos Arroyo
    Deshawn Stevenson
    Raul Lopez
    Raja Bell
    Greg Ostertag
    Jarron Collins

If was Sloan was as unflexible and unable to adjust to his players styles as you all apparently think he is, he litterally would not have won 20 games with that bunch.

• Miles
    Oct. 21, 2008 10:24 p.m.

Good point Magnus. Sloan did do a great job of coaching that year. I like AK coming off the bench with Korver and Milsap. I think that all the young players this year will have improved over last year. I think Deron will be better than last year by a lot. Boozer is the only one I am not too sure what to expect as he can be all over the place with his defense. I am sure he will be a scoring machine.