Utah

Copy of Declaration of Independence on display at Capitol

Comments

• Cammie
    Aug. 16, 2008 10:16 a.m.

Cool! I guess it's with taking a trip to the capitol to see. thanks

• How long will it be here?
    Aug. 16, 2008 11:50 a.m.

Will it still be there on Monday or should I wait until the next time it comes back to Utah?

• Take Jefferson's work to heart
    Aug. 16, 2008 2:31 p.m.

You can read the text of the Declaration of Independence online or in a library, and free versions are readily available from the Cato Institute.

Seeing the Declaration of Independence is less important than understanding its meaning and incorporating its principles into daily life.

Americans are dealing with the same kind of governmental abuses today -- but perhaps on a greater scale today -- than our Founders expressed in the Declaration of Independence.

Yet most Americans have seemingly rejected the message of the Declaration of Independence in exchange for the State's illusory safety.

• redleif
    Aug. 16, 2008 3:09 p.m.

I read both the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution this year around the 4th of July. It has had a tremendous impact on me personally. I am truly grateful for this nation and for the liberty that I enjoy.

• Patriot
    Aug. 16, 2008 5:51 p.m.

No need to go to the Capitol to see a copy of the Declaration, although it is nice to see so many did.

It is worth a trip to the Capitol to see how great it looks since the restoratin is nearly complete.

OUTSTANDING JOB!

I doubt if it will make our legislators any smarter, or attuned to defending our liberties from government intrusions, but it certainly is a nice place to work.

Our tax dollars paid for it, so take the time to check it out before the crooks...err LEGISLATORS move back in.

• Elizabeth
    Aug. 16, 2008 7:22 p.m.

This is really fantastic! I descend down from one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, so I will be going to see this for sure.

• Free Mason
    Aug. 16, 2008 10:30 p.m.

Did anyone get a chance to see the hidden message on the back?