UVU joins new sports conference

Comments

• Rich
    July 10, 2008 12:50 a.m.

The Great West Conference is a great way to burn up fossil fuels, transporting players and coaches long distances simply to play conference games.

And is the school in Jersey in the great western half of the Garden State? If not, I think the Great West Conference ought to invite some teams from Europe and Japan to join the league.

• Congratulations UVU
    July 10, 2008 6:37 a.m.

Congratulations to UVU on taking another step up toward the big boys. Their slow rise to prominence is fun to watch.

I look forward to UVU perhaps becoming serious competition for Utah State, the red team, and others. If they do really well, maybe they'll even compete with BYU someday.

• RE: Congratulations UVU
    July 10, 2008 7:19 a.m.

Becoming serious competition with USU, Utah and BYU. To other schools, fans, and the NCAA its not even a real Athletic Dept. and will not be considered as such untill they get a football program!!!

• Great West?
    July 10, 2008 7:20 a.m.

Sounds like the Great West Conference is just a fancy word for "Smaller Schools All Over The Nation Who Are In Desperate Need Of Any Conference That Will Take Them Conference."

Slow rise to prominence? This school is going to have budget issues really quick if people continue to think this school is going to be a super power overnight. Schools cost money, and that is something our state does not have a lot of luxury for.

• CougarKeith
    July 10, 2008 7:30 a.m.

Hey Rich, It's a great way to BURN UP fossil fuels just like Al Gore and his Private Jet and his Private Home in Tennessee which burns enough energy for 20 homes a month and he's not even there! This is great News, fly all over the place poking holes in the Ozone, I love it, all this competition, I hope they get a football program going soon they can have Weber State as an Arch Rival to start, work up to the Aggies, then Utah and eventually cross town BYU, NOT! But I wish them the best anyway... Go Wolverines......

• Anonymous
    July 10, 2008 8:10 a.m.

This is a big step for UVU athletics! Congrats to them!

and "great west?" Do you think that the people at UVU think that the sports program will turn big overnight? You have no clue!

• realist
    July 10, 2008 8:17 a.m.

I have said it before and find myself saying it again. UVU should still be UVSC or possibly UVCC. There is not 1 state University that is over crowded so why in the world would me make another one. Universities take millions more to run that colleges do. Valentine did the state a huge disfavor by pushing for UVU. We currently have some partially full very good Universities. We could have used the millions to have some great, full, Universities.

• umm...
    July 10, 2008 8:21 a.m.

Cougarkeith-I'm no Al Gore sympathizer, but if you believe that chain email about Gore's mansion, then I've got a friend who is a part of Nigerian royalty that is in need of some help...

• Geography Bee
    July 10, 2008 8:33 a.m.

The Great WEST Conference include the NEW JERSEY Institute of Technology?

I'm not an expert at geography, but I'm pretty sure New Jersey is on the Atlantic coast.

• Re: Realist
    July 10, 2008 8:57 a.m.

Utah as a state might not have full universities but Provo/Orem does. Tons of students try to get into byu and do not. The consolation prize is UVU. If the community can support higher education they should. Other colleges will grow if there is a need. Provo/Orem needs another university.

• Anonymous
    July 10, 2008 9:34 a.m.

Consolation prize UVU??? Wow.. I wmake just as much if not more money than those graduating from BYU with the same degree that I can get from UVU.

I cant believe the nonsense on these boards!

• not good
    July 10, 2008 9:36 a.m.

you took a great step forward in becoming a university, now you take a great step backward with this affiliation....you will kill your budgets in all sports, and students will suffer with yearly fee increases to pay....find a regional conference or start one up and invite others to join....go get suu, grand canyon, dixie state, norther colorado etc. new jersey and houston, local kids will think twice and three times when considering this schedule of castaways....good luck!

• chill
    July 10, 2008 9:41 a.m.

c'mon, the nonsense of these boards is what makes it fun...what do you expect with the annanomity that you get from the interenet.

GO WOLVERINES!!! THEY'RE TOTALLY GOING TO TAKE THE BCS IN 2008!! THEY DON'T HAVE A FOOTBALL TEAM, BUT THEY'LL PULL IT OFF SOMEHOW!!!! YAH! WOO HOO!

see...

• TO: Realist
    July 10, 2008 9:40 a.m.

You are just mad because UVU will take money from Utah because their student enrollment is larger.

• Lewt
    July 10, 2008 9:43 a.m.

Let's see. Seattle, North Dakota, Bakersfield, New Jersey, Houston, Pan American (wasn't that an airline?) Any way to get either Puerto Rico or Hawaii Hilo in this league? Any bigger and it could be the Conference of the Western World.

• Woo Hoo
    July 10, 2008 10:15 a.m.

Go Utah Valley High School... er.. I mean Utah Valley University!

• Stripes
    July 10, 2008 10:29 a.m.

So will UVU ever have a football program and have a COMPLETE sports program?

• The Wolverine Engine that Could
    July 10, 2008 10:27 a.m.

Did everyone forget that UVU took 2 out of 3 from BYU in baseball in 2008. And if the other sports at BYU (ie: Men's BBall) would schedule us we would take it to them too. It's just a matter of time my friends ... We will dominate the Great West for awhile and then get invited to be in the WAC!

• Re:Rich
    July 10, 2008 10:27 a.m.

You don't know this, but its the 1st all green league. All the schools in this league travel by buses that are battery powered. So not one drop of oil is used in getting to their games. Now jump on board....

moron

• Former BYU Fan
    July 10, 2008 10:42 a.m.

UVU already beats BYU and Utah in baseball. Soon it will dominate them in other sports. UVU was already playing the team in its new confernce, so the budget will not increase dramatically if at all. UVU graduates make more money on average than graduates of any other state school of higher education. Go Wolverines!!!!

• WOW
    July 10, 2008 10:41 a.m.

none of those schools listed is located in the WEST. Except Cal-state Bakersfield.

• you don't have
    July 10, 2008 10:45 a.m.

to have a football team to have a complete sports program. They would always play second fiddle to neighbor school BYU. Plus it wouldn't be DIV 1A football.

• Re:Realist
    July 10, 2008 10:50 a.m.

To Mr conlusation prize. The state does not have an obligation to put a University in every community that wants one. Utah county did not need another University simply because the residents want to stay close to mama. The fact that UVU exists is a joke! If you can't move 40 miles from mama, make the drive, don't make the tax payers flip the bill.

• Anonymous
    July 10, 2008 10:54 a.m.

"Stripes" from what i know UVU has a place where they would build a stadium, but a football team wont be coming here for a while.

• UVU
    July 10, 2008 11:13 a.m.

Look at their incoming ACT scores. If you are able to walk and chew gum at the same time you will be admitted. UVU doesn't threaten BYU or even the U of U. UVU fills a need for those who are not the academically elite. This is America and a college education should be available to a wide spectrum. Beating BYU in baseball will not change academic achievement. If sports is their only area of distinction, their academic future looks bleak.

• Re: Re: Realist
    July 10, 2008 11:25 a.m.

Your comment is a joke. You're going to make 23,000+ students move or drive 40 miles north to get a University education? Why would anyone be opposed to providing more opportunities and resources to the young people in the region? UVU is not a result of want...its sorely needed.

• Poor academics
    July 10, 2008 11:41 a.m.

That's funny you say that, cause I remember BUY students coming to UVU to take Organic Chemistry and Physics because they thought they were easier. I laughed at them until my sides hurt because they flunked out of UVU. It turns out all you need to get into BYU is a rich parent from California. If you have a problem with UVU you have a problem with this community as a whole. Get the heck out! We don't want you here.

• UVU Rocks
    July 10, 2008 11:44 a.m.

UVU should try to get in the Pac 10!

• should do it
    July 10, 2008 11:50 a.m.

uvu should be making plans to have a football team....i spent 2 years in virginia and they have universities and colleges of all sizes that play football on one level or another....never try to become or play byu, just get going and join up with some smaller DII schools in the west, such as dixie state, so utah, cal baker, etc....growing population and opportunities for local kids to play football in the west will help you grow and become competitive, don't get stuck in this mess of a conference for more than a year or two please!!!!!

• Ben
    July 10, 2008 12:24 p.m.

If UVU decides to add football, it MUST be at the division I level (either FBS, like BYU & Utah, or FCS, like Weber State or Southern Utah). Dixie State is division II, and the NCAA won't allow you to sponsor football at a lower division if your other programs are operating at division I.

I don't see UVU adding football anytime soon -- too expensive and too close to BYU. I guess Gonzaga and the rest of the WCC, schools which don't offer football, aren't "complete" sports programs?

Good luck to UVU. Any conference is better than none. There could still be some movement out west (Boise State, Fresno State, and/or Nevada to the MWC, for example). If that's the case, conferences such as the WAC or Big Sky might be looking for affiliate members.

• Baseball doesn't count
    July 10, 2008 12:35 p.m.

Sorry, but baseball doesn't count. All the good baseball players are taken in the draft and play Class A baseball rather than college.

And sorry, 'ummm...' but Al Gore's mansion is an energy hog. Go to snopes to confirm.

• RE: Poor academics
    July 10, 2008 1:03 p.m.

Nope, other way around. BYU is a tough school.

When I was at BYU, a red school student was in one of my classes for the summer during BYU open enrollment. He was smart and friendly, but he mildly boasted that he had straight As in all his major classes so far. He did not get an A in our summer class. I think it was an A-, but it was still his worst grade in a major class. He said that semester had shown him how easy they had it up at the red school.

Are we to assume that UVU is academically superior to both BYU and the red school? Not likely. I'm not criticizing UVU, but I am criticizing people who tell unbelievable or unfounded tales of how easy BYU is.

• Won't Last
    July 10, 2008 1:13 p.m.

This conference affiliation won't last for UVU. Way too far to travel and for what benefit? The tuition is already too high at UVU and now add this travel budget to New Jersey and other east coast schools and .... well this just isn't going to work. UVU could easily compete with teams like Portland State and Northern Arizona and should be considering those conferences and not this insane situation. Heck, why belong to a conference at all? Just become D1 and schedule other D1 schools.

• Whatever
    July 10, 2008 1:31 p.m.

I tried and tried and couldn't get on the dean's list at Utah. Now that I transferred to BYU, I have a 4.0. Maybe it depends on the student, the professors, and the major.

• to Won't Last
    July 10, 2008 1:38 p.m.

You have no clue. UVU has already been going coast to coast since becoming Div. I several years ago so the travel will essentially be the same. The Big Sky (Portland State, NAU) won't let UVU in because it doesn't play football. The benefits: At least the teams in the new conference will have the chance of getting an automatic bid the NCAA Tournament after its 7-year probation status is over, instead of no chance at all if all the teams stay independent. There is a ton of benefit. GO WOLVERINES!

• UVSC/UVU Alum
    July 10, 2008 1:58 p.m.

I got out of school what I wanted to get out of it, just like any red student or zoobie. Got admitted and graduated from a very respectable law school. All with a UVU degree. Major difference b/w UVU and other instate schools, little tradition. Good for UVU athletics, it's a good start.

REALIST: By the way, state funding goes to schools who need it. In other words, DEMAND. Increase the student body at the U and the demand for funds would go up. It's a competition, market better.

• UVU Academics
    July 10, 2008 2:01 p.m.

I love how the BYU folk get all high and mighty when comparing themselves to UVU. I proudly went to UVSC BY CHOICE instead of BYU. I lived in BYU-approved housing with some friends, though, and it was great to see how my ward members looked down their noses at me (thought I was lesser spiritually and academically). I even dated a BYU girl who would always ask why I didn't transfer to the Y--after she got to know me, she realized I was "good enough."

Despite my "second class" UVSC citizenship, I managed to land in a top law school, and get job offers to places BYU students rarely sniff. Zoobies would do well to get off their high horses. UVSC was a really fun place, with students who didn't take themselves too seriously, and lots of fantastic opportunities. You can go there and still be every bit as spiritual as at BYU (great Institute!) and you actually get to know your professors, who really go out of their way for students.

Thanks UVU--and good luck to all future students!

• German
    July 10, 2008 2:06 p.m.

I went to BYU and had a lot of friends at UVU. Both great schools. Why should it be so hard to just be happy for each other. To those that go to UVU and are happy to be there, GOOD for them, and those that go to BYU and are happy there, GOOD for them. Whats right for one isnt right for another! I loved BYU and dated a girl for months from UVU and she really liked it there!

• Re: UVU Academics
    July 10, 2008 4:44 p.m.

Ohh, poor you, getting made fun of for attending UVSC. Would you like some cheese with that whine?

• One Day
    July 10, 2008 5:22 p.m.

One Day the other schools will kneel at the feet of UVU. UVU is a slowly moving giant. It will have the largest student population, and will overtake the UofU. This will hurt BYU's recruiting. Long live UVU!!!

• Re: Re: UVU Academics
    July 10, 2008 5:31 p.m.

Um, are you serious? Is that supposed to be an insult? As a BYU and UVSC alum, I honestly don't find that much judgment one way or the other. Most people are mature.

But if someone felt slighted because they attended UVSC, maybe the best response isn't to justify exactly what the complaint was about. The cheese/whine insult could quite possibly be the oldest insult out there.

• Clueless
    July 10, 2008 6:00 p.m.

What BYU fanatics don't realize is why UVU has an open enrollment. They have an open enrollment because of all the tech trades, to expand their offering. Once you enter the school though, they use their math program to weed you out. The math is intentionally designed to get rid of people who can't hack college. Once you get past the math the difference in the schools is really "sixes."

• I'm a grad of both
    July 10, 2008 6:53 p.m.

...and I guarantee BYU is more rigorous than UVU. I worked 40 hours a week at UVSC (like most other students) and pulled a 4.0 most semesters. At BYU, I worked 10 hours a week and barely pulled a 3.6.

The difference between the schools? The competition. The average BYU student is simply better than the average UVU student. Of course, there are exceptions: there were idiots at BYU and geniuses at UVU. But ON AVERAGE, the students I competed with for the As at BYU were much smarter than those at UVU. Anyone who applies themselves at UVU will pull great grades...at BYU, hard work isn't enough, because everyone is working hard.

At BYU, the goof-offs were the exception and the hard-workers were the norm; at UVU, the reverse was true.

Say what you will: I graduated with honors from both institutions and it was my experience that BYU was much more rigorous than UVU.

• UVSC/BYU Grad
    July 10, 2008 8:39 p.m.

I received my AA at UVSC then moved to BYU for a bachelors, it worked out great for me. I enjoyed both schools for what they had to offer. No regrets, good luck to UVU, I believe there is a real demand for what it has to offer in Utah Valley.

While I was a UVSC student, I managed to convince a California BYU student that UVSC students weren't so bad.... Eleven years and five kids later it has worked out fine.

Appreciate both for what they have to offer, my grandfather went to the U, my father graduated from USU, my mother BYU.... Utah schools are in my blood. None are perfect, sometimes the non LDS schools try too hard to prove that they are not LDS, even though a large portion of their students are, but that is understandable considering the goals of the institutions are different.

Go Utes, Go Cougs, Go Wolverines, Go Aggies...

• Great West???
    July 10, 2008 9:43 p.m.

What did they do, have a contest to see who could come up with the most boring, bland and uninspiring name for a conference???? How LAME!!! Let me guess, Craig Thompson is going to be the new commissioner?! That would be appropriate-then he could negotitate a sweet TV deal!

• Hey grad of both
    July 10, 2008 10:29 p.m.

that's probably because you majored in something like communications, so in that case it wouldn't have mattered what school you went to. You wouldn't have had much of and education

• Zippy
    July 10, 2008 11:54 p.m.

This is a great move for UVU... Although not ideal, if anyone on this board had taken the time to do their research the Great West Conference is a good start for an up-and-coming athletic program. When the WAC and Big Sky start thinking expansion you better believe that UVU is on their radar screens. By the way, I went to both BYU and UVU and chose to graduate from UVU. After finishing grad school I still have an affinity for both schools... They both helped me get to where I wanted to be. Congrats to UVU for all of your recent accomplishments!

• Jeff
    July 10, 2008 11:53 p.m.

Congratulations UVU!!!

• BON LOSEE SCHOOL
    July 11, 2008 10:15 a.m.

OF HAIR OR FLIRTING. We have the Marriot school of business and a great engineering school.

• UVU is full
    July 11, 2008 10:18 a.m.

of these wannabee mad lds kids who don't like BYU because you actaully have to live your religon each day. These other kids are like "I don't want to be some zoobie" and it's because they don't like some of the rules there. It's not a big deal at BYU living the honor code and stuff. But UVU is full of these wannabee, just to be different kids and it's like a high school that way.