Utah

LDS aid on way to Myanmar

Church sends supplies through UPS and CARE

Comments

• Offended?
    May 19, 2008 1:12 a.m.

I suppose the anti-Mormons will find something to critize this recent LDS humanitarian effort? They always seem to find something negative, regardless of the good intent.

• Much we can do
    May 19, 2008 6:15 a.m.

This is devastating what happened in Myanmar and in China recently. There is so much we can do personally to help. As Utah'ns, lets lead the way in contributing generously to help alleviate the pain and suffering of these families and individuals.
    There is a reason we have been blessed so abundantly by the Lord as a people, and lets continue to generously use our resourses to bless and help.

• Here's hoping we can get in
    May 19, 2008 8:20 a.m.

Aid - from the LDS among numerous others - would have been sent to Myanmar much more quickly and in larger amounts if it weren't for the Junta's decision to cut it all off in the beginning. It's good to see that they have opened up a bit, but I fear it may be too little, too late for tens of thousands of Burmese.

• Glenda
    May 19, 2008 9:35 a.m.

How will elders navigate such a place in these conditions .. It will be hard if not impossible for them to either walk or pedal their bicycles through all of that mud and destruction and disease .. there are no cars .. may the Heavenly Father look after them and keep them safe and healthy

• To Glenda
    May 19, 2008 10:33 a.m.

I'm assuming you are being sarcastic - and not just ignorant or trying to slam the LDS Church or its believers?

The article says the Church is partnering with CARE, an organization in place in Myanmar. They will be distributing the items supplied by the LDS Church.

• To Glenda:
    May 19, 2008 11:01 a.m.

I'm assuming you are trying to be sarcastic, and not just ignorant or prejudiced against the LDS Church?

The article clearly states that the LDS Church is supplying needed items and partnering with CARE and UPS Foundation. CARE has a long-standing relationship in Myanmar, and will be the organization distributing the supplies donated by the LDS Church. No Elders on bikes trying to deliver the items!

• Glenda
    May 19, 2008 11:41 a.m.

I wasn't being sarcastic .. I am not that clever .. I guess I should have read the article in full before I commented .. I just read about the "mission" and put two and two together and was horrified and worried for the safety of the elders given what I had read about the militray junta and it's being so anti USA .. I stand corrected and feel a little foolish

• To Glenda
    May 19, 2008 2:30 p.m.

Hey we all make mistakes but it's always good to have an reminder to remember that being mindful and being watchful (observate) is key. So just next time simply read it all. Lesson learned and we move on. That's how it goes. No need to beat yourself up about it and no one else here should be either. We aren't perfect we should be striving to be that's the point I'm making here.

It is wonderful that these people are finally being allowed aid. Let's all keep praying for them.

• To the "to Glenda" comment maker
    May 19, 2008 4:05 p.m.

Take a chill pill.

• Noel Carville, Portadown, N. Ire
    May 19, 2008 4:47 p.m.

It is fantastic that the LDS Church, and other worthy Partners, are responding to a horrible catastrophe, to people in such dire straits!
    May the People of Burma and China receive the help of the World in time!!

• To: 'to the 'to glenda' comment
    May 19, 2008 4:55 p.m.

No big deal. No need to take a chill pill. Glenda explained, the to Glenda commentator wasn't being mean or disrespectful, just correcting information!

Maybe you should take a chill pill!

• glenda
    May 19, 2008 5:31 p.m.

I don't need to take a chill pill thanks. I just thought that "to glenda" has too much time on her hands to correct/attack somebodies comment and call somebody ignorant.(If she was just correcting information she wouldn't have attacked Glenda personally).

I, myself, have family over in Burma and in the Thai refugee camps. For decades they have suffered rape, murders and abuse that is unprintable and now they have cyclone devastation to deal with. I just had to laugh at the fact that somebody would be nasty (and she was) in her correction. Just thought she could have chilled and calmed down a bit. It was as harsh and petty a response as me saying to her comment.....did she check her grammar before she posted her comment, and there is no such word as observate. Are you ignorant and unlearned? Get the point, I don't think she sounded nice in her correction at all.

• Steve
    May 19, 2008 6:36 p.m.

Often times when someone is trying to help others there are always critics. Let's not get to critical of each others comments about the situation. Have some charity and let's just move this humanitarian effort forward by making some donations and not worrying about spending energy on criticizing each others opinions.

• to glenda commentator
    May 19, 2008 6:57 p.m.

Why assume the response to 'Glenda' was from a female? I read the comments and could not detect any indication of gender. Also, I did not see any 'attack' or that someone was 'nasty' in the response to Glenda. Glenda was/is entitled to comment, and her response indicated she had not fully read/understood the article, and after the comment apparently went and re-read the article. However, your response was 'harsh and petty' in my opinion, but I will be happy to assume you did not mean to criticize another's grammar, or assume they are ignorant or unlearned.

The situation in Myanmar is tragic, and any help that can be given is essential. I am sorry also for your family's situation in Burma and the Thai camps. No-one should have to live that way, or have to worry about family in those situations. My very best wishes that your family members will receive the help they need.

• Ginni in NH
    May 20, 2008 5:37 a.m.

To all of the above. Isn't wonderful that we have finally been able to get some of the much needed supplies into the country or at least on the way.
    How tragic it has been for these human beings and all the suffering that has occured. Makes me appreciate the blessing I have-how about you?

• susan harris
    May 25, 2008 6:22 p.m.

My husband and I are emergency prepardness contact in our ward in tennessee and we have presented this article to our ward and we will be collecting supplies to send aid also .We are impressed with all that has been gathered and shipped to this point .

• jim
    June 13, 2008 7:57 p.m.

simply amazing. All of these other churches always get press that is positive. The Lord's church is very often the first to arrive at a disaster site, yet we seldom get positive media. Proof that we are doing the right thing, because we keep doing it happilly without the fanfare.

• Crystal
    June 27, 2008 6:51 p.m.

I'm so proud to LDS. Proud to know that the leaders of our church are truly inspired by God and are solely interested in living just as Christ did...in the service to others.

• MARY
    Aug. 23, 2008 8:28 p.m.

Too bad it takes a disaster for others to reach out. We do not realize how blessed we are in the USA.Shame on the world for these crimes against people to continue, but it is a small step in the right direction.Before the next one hits try reaching out to a neighbor and lend a smile and a cup of courtesy and respect to further the efforts of a community that cares about the other and maybe before we realize it the world will be a better,safer, happier place to live and no one will have to suffer the crimes of inhumanity, starvation, and loneliness. Friendships and trust starts with in so lets all work together and pray for peace on earth and no one has to go hungry.God bless those who need our help. Help us to give to those that are less fortunate we. Most of us have way more than we need, so much is expected and the blessings will be bountiful.Thank You God for all that you have given us.Help us all to not take for granted the freedoms we have.God Bless America and thank those who fight to keep it that way.

• Bishop Jeffrey Warriner
    Aug. 25, 2008 4:21 p.m.

It is a privilege for the British members of
    The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to support the humanitarian aid programme because the church members in Great Britain know 100% of the donations will be used to purchase necessary hygiene packs, blankets, tents and any other items which are needed wherever there is a disaster and suffering worldwide. These humanitarian aid items are always packed, and stored in USA ready to go at any given time. On a recent visit to Salt Lake City I realised how labour intensive was this preparation for emergencies. Soap, toothbrushes, flannels and toothpaste had been purchased from
    the suppliers and delivered. Within one hour unpaid young volunteers from the local schools were packing these items into emergency kits
    The secret to the success of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints worldwide are the volunteers in all aspects of the work spiritually and secular. I know for I am one of them. Bishop Jeffrey Warriner of the Wakefield Ward, England

• mary rose
    Oct. 5, 2008 9:51 a.m.

i am aware about the welfare of the church,this is one of HIS ways on how to show the world that HE loves HIS children and HE will send people to reperesent HIM,to touch the life of others and remind them once again that HE is there alaways in our side,simple prayer could reach HIM,whenever and wherever we are.

• Lynda Griffin Purcell
    Nov. 9, 2008 6:54 a.m.

To all the "to Glenda" commentors: We all need to be a little more, humble, teachable, more loving towards others with the time we've been given" in our hands". People generally won't care how much you know until they know how much you care.

• Pepper
    Nov. 15, 2008 4:36 p.m.

I think it is wounderful what the LDS memebers are doing! I was shocked and touched. We don't need reconision from the world. The Lord's church was never for that, but was for the helping those in need regardless the religion! That is why I love my Chruch and know it is the right church! In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen!

• Mplanelover
    Jan. 30, 2009 11:16 a.m.

Pepper. Thank-you I couldn't have said it better.