Utah Jazz: Playoff struggles baffle Boozer; star apologizes

Comments

• potential
    May 18, 2008 2:01 a.m.

I think D will makes booz look like twice the player that he is. I think he has potential though. He needs to practice catching the ball, passing to moving targets, and defending with his feet instead of hands. Maybe he should play some soccer in the off season. haha. I still love him and believe in him. Thanks for not leaving us like Fisher did.

• Anonymous
    May 18, 2008 6:20 a.m.

Good luck Booze! Hope things work out well for you and your family this summer and looking forward to you playing with the Jazz next year. Not all of us are fair weather fans.

• wallyworld
    May 18, 2008 8:43 a.m.

I can't believe crybaby Kobe and his band of thug's beat the Rockets and the Jazz. I hope the next team that plays them, LA, beats them in 4.

• I just wanna win
    May 18, 2008 9:01 a.m.

I just want the Jazz to bring home some hardware. 20 years of watching and cheering and losing to teams that bring home the title (Bulls, Spurs, and probably LA this year). I just wanna win. I just want Sloan to bring home the bacon. I think this team can do it. Maybe next year.

• PurplePeopleEater
    May 18, 2008 9:04 a.m.

Next year will tell the tale on Boozer. If he really does improve and plays better in the playoffs in spite of any defensive scheme against him, I'll be his biggest fan. Until then, I'm not so high on him. He has too many chinks in his armor. Little things that cost him during games (dumb fouls, turnovers because he's unaware of who's around him, etc.)

One thing he'd better not do is change his shot. That high arcing (NOT arching, people) shot is the kind that can provide consistent shooting percentages from game to game. Flat shooters are streak shooters because their room for error is so much smaller (one inch versus 12+ inches).

• That's All we can Ask..
    May 18, 2008 9:20 a.m.

Thanks Booze! Enjoy the off season, see you next year!!

• Potential?
    May 18, 2008 9:32 a.m.

RE Potential: "Thanks for not leaving us like Fisher did."

I take it you're not a Cleveland Cavaliers fan?!

• Post Moves
    May 18, 2008 9:31 a.m.

I'm a huge Boozer fan. Hard to find anyone stronger or with better hands in the league. I love his spin moves that take him right to the hoop. It is almost a guaranteed score of foul. He is a good jump shooter too but I think he went to that too much when he could have taken the Lakers to the glass every time. He's also a great rebounder. I'll take his strengths over his poor defense any day. We just need to get someone tough inside to compliment his and Okur's good offense but poor d. If that can be Fez then we can continue to build from within and not make any changes - although we probably have to do something with either Almond or Miles. Almond seems to be the odd man out on a very deep roster of 2 guards.

• Bob
    May 18, 2008 9:59 a.m.

Have a great summer, Carlos! And thanks for a great season.

• Re:wallyworld
    May 18, 2008 10:51 a.m.

You hope the next team that plays LA that LA beats them in 4, me too.

• Re: I just wanna win
    May 18, 2008 10:55 a.m.

I just want a new Porsche to show up in my drive way.
    I've learned in life just because you wnat something it doesn't mean it's going to happen.

• "WhEeZiE"
    May 18, 2008 11:03 a.m.

Boozer at times, especially in this playoff series was almost as "OVERRATED" as Tracy McGrady!! I mean that! How does Paul Millsap just come in the game and make the team so much better? Did you not see that run start with Millsap in the 4th? As soon as Boozer fouled out, The Jazz went on a bigger run! He's a disappointment and is
    being overpaid!! Here's some advice for Boozer! Take a week this summer and spend some time in Louisiana with The Mailman, and maybe he can teach you how to play better defense!! Deron did it with Stock, I dont think it would hurt you any! It's sad to see Luis Scola get made look like an all-star and Lamar Odom look like a superstar because someone plays sub-par defense! Booz, learn how to play defense, make easy shots, and stop settling for jump shots and maybe we'll win a championship a lot sooner! GO JAZZ!!

• Anonymous
    May 18, 2008 11:28 a.m.

like i said boozer lack many things. he is timid, soft,his demeanor is not that of a winner. the jazz will make the playoff and that is it. history will continue to repeat it self just like the 20 years that has passed. enjoy the years of disappointments jazz fan.

if only we can take the heart of millsap and give to LOOZER.

• paymon
    May 18, 2008 12:43 p.m.

what is boozer saying when he says he is a leader and cornerstone for this franchise??? are u kidding me? we can trade him and d will, will turn millsap into a better player than boozer. Atleast millsap is tough and backs up the things he says. And he is not afraid of posting up taller guys unlike boozer who shoots fade aways like a girl.. I love the jazz but sometimes boozer just pushes my buttons :)

• Really
    May 18, 2008 12:47 p.m.

Where is Booz coming from--team leader and cornerstone of the franchise? Give me a break. Your traded buddy.

• Frederick of Logan
    May 18, 2008 1:00 p.m.

I have respect for Boozer. Some fans lack class. Some fans think they know more than the coach and they enjoy shooting off their mouths. Thank you Mr. Sloan, and Mr. Miller and all the Jazz players and most of the Jazz fans.

• I love watching Boozer play...
    May 18, 2008 2:05 p.m.

I hope I get to enjot it many more years. He's a great player and seems to be a great guy. He's still given alot to this community and team even if they didn't win the playoffs.

Thanks Boozer!
    A fan

• fans
    May 18, 2008 2:57 p.m.

Memo to fans: I am a big Jazz fan, I love the Jazz, I think we have great fans. I think we have some of the most ignorant fans too. D Fish is a good guy, I still wish him well with his family. Boozer is still one of the leaders of the team with D Will. The refs did NOT cost us the series. I swear the glass is always half empty with some fans. This team will be solid for the next decade. Championships do not happen over night. Let this team gel more. We have now had 2 very productive years in a row with some very meaningful playoff games, and great playoff runs, that is what turns boys into men. The Jazz are going to keep getting better. They may win a championship, they may not. That is what the sports world is all about, it is hard to win a championship but I believe this group will do it. Just keep being supportive and back our team. Thanks for a great year Jazz, and we love ya Boozer, we got your back. GO JAZZ!

• Mark
    May 18, 2008 3:13 p.m.

I can handle a guy missing shots - what killed us was his horrible, horrible defense! He need to work out with Bruce Bowen over the summer.

• NCJazzFan
    May 18, 2008 3:25 p.m.

Until we get the killer attitude it's just a bunch of nice guys playing basketball. Somewhere, sometime, somehow you have to be able to say: "I am not going to beat you I am going to destroy your will to play the game". Then we will win ALL the marbles and go home. I prefer to call it SWAGGER!

• clover
    May 18, 2008 4:38 p.m.

yeah, swagger. genuine confidence. not boozer's forte. but it's possible. on the other hand, I've read suggestions to trade boozer for bogut + mo williams or udonis haslem + jason williams. Whatever. It will be fun to watch what happens around July 1 & check out the Olympics, while waiting for a great Jazz season in 2009. It's sounding like next year the Jazz nucleus will be torching opponents like an Aussie brush fire.

• Pool Game
    May 18, 2008 4:52 p.m.

The kids at the pool have invented a new version of the age old game "Marco / Polo". The new version is "Boozer / Loser". Ouch!

• Jazzsmack
    May 18, 2008 5:31 p.m.

We don't need apologies.

We need a better big man.

• Anonymous
    May 18, 2008 6:31 p.m.

From listening,
    to most of your comments, many of you have never play high shool or collage basketball

coach sloan is not the problem it is the 2 guard and 4 or 5 postion
    you can live with one bad post player but not two and no nba team as won a title with bad defence for 1 and 2 spot....... penatration kill ever time ever time... deron good brewer need to get getter or move on to an other team

• anonymous
    May 18, 2008 6:41 p.m.

Boozer played awful during the playoffs, but he had a great regular season. During the season he hit the shots he missed during the playoffs. Weird. I supposed it all came down to confidence, as he would've gladly taken and made those 15 footers earlier in the year the Lakers begged him to take in the playoffs.

• Boozer the Loser
    May 18, 2008 8:26 p.m.

Boozer didn't only play bad, he played with no heart. That's what bugs me. I'm ok with a player having a bad game, but I'm not ok with a player who will not even try out on the court. Boozers unwillingness to play hard, dive for the ball, jump for a rebound, and take the ball strong to the hoop is pathetic. He played like a complete wimp.

• Do You Remember?....
    May 18, 2008 9:01 p.m.

the Golden Rule, people? Yeah, that's right, the Golden Rule. You know, "treat others the way you'd like them to treat you".

I'm disgusted with how many people on this message board are ripping Boozer a new one because he was in a shooting slump in the playoffs.

We GOT to the play-offs, didn't we? And Boozer had NOTHING to do with it? And you'd be a danged fool to think that we played better against San Antonio in the Conference finals last year than we did in the semi's last week against the Lakers. I think we just lost to the NBA champions, people. You might argue that we got to the Conference finals last year and got beat this year in the semi's. True, but L.A. was a whooooole lot better than Golden State was last year.

So Boozer is human. I remember Malone having some VERY low scoring games against the Bulls in our 2 NBA championship series too. Anyone going to say that the Mailman didn't have heart?

Still mad at Boozer? If you are, since you think being a "never-miss" NBA player is so easy, YOU go do it.

Dan Maloy
    Enid, OK

• C'mon Booz work harder
    May 18, 2008 9:14 p.m.

Lifetime Jazz fan here and I have to say that Booz could be a much more solid player if he would work harder. Yes, he put up solid numbers during the regular season, but did he realize his true potential? The bottom line is right now he is too soft on defense and not smart enough on offense. We all witnessed this. Were the playoffs an aberration? I don't think so. The competition got stiffer and Booz wasn't ready for it. The time to prepare for the playoffs is during the offseason and during the season by working harder! When you reach the playoffs the game is that much harder and if you haven't prepared yourself sufficiently, it's going to be tough to elevate your game. D' Will on the other hand had a large well of regular game experiences in which to draw from and he was able to elevate his play and be a true leader.

• Rich
    May 18, 2008 9:16 p.m.

Unfortunately a new nickname was earned during the season, Boozer the Loser. However, Carlos has all the tools necessary to succeed at the highest level, and I have faith that he will improve dramatically. It's great that he knows he can improve, wants to improve and has a list of improvements he wants to make. Here's my list:

1) Team defense. Be CONFIDENT in leaving your man to help a teammate. Your teammates will leave their men to get your back. Do NOT stand there like a deer in the headlights while wondering what to do on D. Commit and put out 100%. To learn better D study game tapes with Phil Johnson or Sloan or Corbin next to you, and ask them to break down all your defensive moves (or non-moves).

2) Shooting. Unlike some I would advise slightly changing your shot. Don't take the ball so far back, take it up a bit higher and farther forward, and this will make your release quicker and higher. If you work on it for an entire summer, you will improve dramatically. How do you get to be one of the best shooters? Imitate them. (continued)

• Rich
    May 18, 2008 9:22 p.m.

(more)

Tiger Woods had one of the best swings in golf, yet he know he could improve, and so he did it. His new swing is steadier, and he does not bring the club as far back around as he used to do. Now he has a slighly shorter back swing because he learned that it is easier to control. A great basketball shooter also has a simple shot. There have been very, very few shooters who have long back swings like your shot, Carlos. Dick Barnett from the Knicks was one, and that's going way back. Almost every great shooter keeps his elbow pretty well under the ball as viewed from the front, and the ball seldom gets as far back as the top of the head. You have the hand-eye coordination to shoot as well as any big man in the game. Work on that as well as extending your range. You will seldom need to shoot a three-pointer, but if you can shoot that far, then those 15 to 18-footers will be like eating ice cream.

3. Don't worry too much about scoring. A great team doesn't need you to score 20-plus points a game.

(more)

(more)

• Come On Boozer
    May 18, 2008 9:25 p.m.

Great regular season players amount to squat. Look at McGrady. Use this off-season to learn defense. Yes the fans blame you. Clank on free throws, clank on 10 footers. What happened? Paul Millsap is just chomping at the bit for some of Boozer's minutes. Paul would blossom to a 20 point 12 rebound guy with Boozer's minutes and plays tough defense. Paul goes up strong every time. Trade Boozer for Elton Brand. Boozer wants to be in L.A. and you know Elton wants to play for a winner. Iguadola for
    Boozer. Can you imagine Iguadola working with Williams? Both are free agents.

• Rich
    May 18, 2008 9:28 p.m.

(continued)

I've always felt that Malone hurt the team by scoring 26 points a game rather than, say, 18. He held the ball too much, looking for ways to penetrate the defense, and this was like pouring cold oil over the rest of the team. It really got to be a problem the second year the Jazz went to the Finals because by then Malone had convinced himself that he was the go-to guy -- the man who should take the shots at the ends of quarters and games. Unfortunately, he wasn't as great a shot creator as a so-called go-to guy must be. Usually Stockton was the Jazz's best go-to guy. And you don't usually need a go-to guy anyway if you stick with the team concept even when the going gets rough during big point deficits or toward the end of games. So, Carlos, don't worry about scoring 20-plus, just worry about doing all the little things rights, and you'll find yourself making fewer turnovers, more assista, more rebounds and scoring more efficiently.

4) Get meaner. You don't want to go out there with the idea of hurting anybody, of course. (more)

• Rich
    May 18, 2008 9:34 p.m.

you must be more assertive. Do not push players in the back when rebounding and avoid charging when you have the ball, but otherwise you need to have more of an attitude -- a chip on your shoulder, if you will. Prove all those naysayers wrong. I think this in part is why you've already overexceeded many expectations of you, but I have faith that you can one day get good enough to make the hall of fame, and you must continue providing critics wrong. When you slap at a ball in your opponent's hands, really whack it. Malone never cared whether he slapped so hard that it might hurt a guy's fingers. If a guy was careless enough to show the ball, he really hit it, and you should do that same thing. If you ever need to foul on purpose, make sure that player knows you mean business. One way to make an opponent miss shots is to take his mind off his shot -- make him think about the last time you took his feet out from under him. Again, I'm not asking for flagrant fouls, just good, solid and HARD fouls.

'Nough said.

• Honesty
    May 18, 2008 9:54 p.m.

The truth here is that if Boozer penetrated when he got the ball like Millsap did through the playoffs, fans would not be angry with him. If he played with the heart/intensity that Williams and Millsap did through the playoffs, fans would not be upset.

We could not do what we expect Boozer to do, if we could would we watch NBA basketball? He is paid millions because we can't and he has the body to do it.

Boozer just needs to play with that strength that Millsap does and with the confidence that Williams does, or he is just no worth the millions he is paid.

Props to Memo though, he was HUGE for the Jazz in the playoffs and I am so glad they have him.

• re: Jazzsmack
    May 18, 2008 10:45 p.m.

Well, most smack talkers are clueless about the game, anyway.

Great year, Carlos. I can see past this and know that the Jazz will have a great year next year. Keep things tight at home, and get tougher on the road.

I'm looking for homecourt throughout the playoffs next year. That's how it gets done in the NBA.

Have a nice summer with your family.

• Great season
    May 18, 2008 11:53 p.m.

Another great year for the Jazz. There is a lot of parity in the NBA (just look at the Western Conference final standings this year). It's very tough to win it all. The Jazz had a great season but matchup problems with Gasol, Odom, and Kobe killed them. People have slumps, it then becomes mental and exacerbated by all the criticism. Boozer will bounce back. Rich had some great insights. I used to watch Boozer back at Duke and have always been a fan. He'll work on that quickness and footspeed this summer to improve his defense. Unfortunately, he can't grow a few inches in length. The Jazz really do need a quick, long, tall 5 man or they will have the same defensive problems next year.

Thanks for a fun season to watch. Go Jazz!

• Sloan Hater
    May 19, 2008 12:12 a.m.

What a man.

He could have pulled a Fisher and brought his child's treatment to the forefront, but he received almost no attention in that regard.

I'm sure the emotional drain and high expectations almost played a part in his poor postseason play.

As a Jazz Fan and a basketball fan, it would be STUPID to get rid of Booz. He is a great rebounder, terrific with his back to the basket, and an underrated passer.

The trouble starts with Sloan. Boozer isn't Karl Malone. Booz doesn't have the stregth Malone did to charge in the lane off the pick-and-roll. However, Booz is much better isolated in the low post. He is twice as quick as Malone and finishes with either hand.

All Sloan had to do was give more space to the low post and leave to spot up shooters (Dwill and Korver) on the strong side to make teams pay for double teaming Boozer.

Alas, all I can do is campaign on against ignorance.

Fire/Retire Sloan

• Re; Sloan Hater
    May 19, 2008 1:52 a.m.

Even if Booze was given the space, he would have still forced those shots since he was struggling. All we can hope for is that Booze learns from this and will utilize the situations when they double team him and hit a shooter like Korver.

Speaking of Korver, I hope that dude improves on creating his own shot. There's someone to meet him everytime he touches the ball. I hope he learns to utilize the pivot in order to make some room between him and the defender. I love Korver, but it's tough when you can't get the room to shoot. I will admit Sloan Hater that Sloan did not utilize Korvers mid-range jumper coming off a curl. Korver's deadly on that play.

• Pay attention..
    May 19, 2008 7:58 a.m.

Sloan Hater is a moron. If it was as easy as just isolating Heartless on the low block and putting shooters on the strong side the Jazz would have won the last two championships. If you paid any attention at all you would have noticed the Lakers were doubling Heartless from the weak side. Heartless' problems stem more from his absolute inability to play tough D or even try. Get lost on the pick and roll much? Notice Heartless' one good game in the playoffs came when he busted his behind on D and rebounding, his shot still looked like crap.

• carey in indiana
    May 19, 2008 8:29 a.m.

Long time Jazz team of 20+ years This team is close, but need a few different pieces.
    To keep: Williams, Millsap, Okur, Korver, Brewer, and Kirilenko.
    Either trade or find different roles for the others.
    For what to trade and why you say?

1) A defensive big. No explanation necessary
    2) A dependable backup point (then again, who doesn't need one of these) Too much loss of production when williams goes out
    3) Millsap needs more minutes, too many intangibles to leave on the bench. I've seen the guy change the inside attack of game by himself for the past two seasons.
    I think if the jazz brass can solve a few of these problems you'll see a stronger teams. If not, they'll continue to lose to the Lakers, Spurs, or have to wait until those teams get old.

• Milsap
    May 19, 2008 8:33 a.m.

We need Boozer. But Milsap has to be the hottest, most underpaid player in the league right now. Miller better find some way to sign this kid long-term cause someone else would pay him 8 million a year and put him into their starting lineup in a heart beat.

• Boozer for Bogut?
    May 19, 2008 8:45 a.m.

Boozer for Bogut? Please Bogut is not worthy to tie Boozer's shoe. We really have some ignorant fans. WOW1

• Angel, Macedonia
    May 19, 2008 9:00 a.m.

here is the key: We need defensive strong center, send Okur and Boozer to Orlando for Dwight Howard, put Kirilenko on 4, and sign Iguodala on free, next thing will be celebrating the champions ring

• Beats the lottery
    May 19, 2008 9:24 a.m.

We beat ourselves, not finishing plays, missed layups and dunks. Angel, Macedonia you might as well wish for a million dollars you are not getting Dwight Howard, or Iguodala. The real key is signing our MVP and team leader D-Will to a long term contact. If there are any big trades this year it will be with AK-47.

• TJ
    May 19, 2008 9:45 a.m.

Wow Angel, can we get Chris Paul and Lebron James too?!

• Fritz
    May 19, 2008 9:50 a.m.

I agree Milsap is an awesome player. I look for a great season next year. We have a great Jazz team; with a little more polish I think this team could "get 'er done". Great season Boozer, Milsap, D Will, Korver, Sloan and all the team. Have a great summer, and let's get it next year.

• Hollywood
    May 19, 2008 10:12 a.m.

Great centers are few and far between and once you have one, you don't trade him (unless you need to dump salaries and conspire w/ Stern and the Lakers). So no, the Jazz will never be able to trade for Howard or Yao Ming.

Unless Fes' develops, the Jazz will be in the same position as they were in the Stockalone days...destined to be perennial runners-up. LA is only going to get better. They'll sign another decent PG with their MLE to split time with Fisher, Bynum will be back and they should win at least 60 games next season.

Jazz have too many one-dimensional players: Boozer/Memo - great shooters (usually) but no ability to post-up or drive inside (like Odom). And lousy defenders. AK: limited offensive skills, great help-defender, average one-on-one defender. Brewer: good slasher, decent defender, limited from the outside.

IMO, Deron is the only "untouchable" on the roster. Jazz will never trade Memo or Boozer, so in terms of the starters, Utah has to get better from the 2 and 3. Korver and Millsap are great off the bench. Price is fine for 10 mins. Backup center is a huge problem (unless Fes develops).

• Millsap or Boozer
    May 19, 2008 10:19 a.m.

There is going to come a time for the Utah Jazz that they will have to decide upon which power forward to build their future. They will not be able to keep both Millsap and Boozer. Millsap has a strong work ethic (like Malone) and will continue to work hard and improve until he is one of the best in the league. Boozer stands in his way as a starter, but Boozer is already a max player. The decision will need to be made.

LHM, what ya gonna do?

• Choker
    May 19, 2008 11:05 a.m.

Boozer choked, plain and simple. He played the entire post season terribly. All he can do now, is come back stronger and, hopefully, learn to play defense. Defense is one thing that Boozer must work on if he ever wants to be even close to the same caliber player that Malone was. Believe me, Boozer will never be a Karl Malone, never. However, he can still be great some day. He needs to REALLY work on defense, get tougher in the post, way tougher, and remember that team wins matter more than personal numbers! I think that at times this season, he was worried more about getting his game double double, than winning. A player can have a double double ever game of his career, but if that same player can't help his team win with playing defense, then what is the use. Hopefully, the Jazz staff can get Malone to come in and help Booze on defense, I know he would. Malone can teach Boozer to go up with authority and make teams and officials respect him, because they sure didn't this season or post season. Only thing is, will Booze take the help?

• magnus
    May 19, 2008 11:32 a.m.

@ carey in indiana

I 100% agree with 1) and 3) but as far as 2) goes I think Price is an excellent backup point guard, I thought he played better as the season went on and played some of his best ball in the playoffs. It's tough to play really well for only 8-10 minutes a game. Besides, how is there not going to be a drop in production when DWill, one of the best point guards in the league, leaves the game.

@ Sloan Hater

The Jazz repeatedly tried to get Boozer the ball in the block, so I'm not sure what team you were watching. The problem was that Boozer was not adjusting to double teams and he wasn't being strong with the ball. I mean how many times did he get the ball poked away from him when he had the ball in the post? He averaged 3 turnovers a game in the playoffs, and he was also blocked ALOT.

@ RE;Sloan Hater

Again, it looked to me like the Jazz tried hard to get Korver his midrange jumper.

There are only so many shots to go around and Korver isn't exacly the first option.

• BBallLaker
    May 19, 2008 2:29 p.m.

You guys are nuts about Boozer. He is a thug and is too short to play in the NBA. Look what happens to him when he is surrounded by taller players like Gasol and Odum. He has to foul in order to avoid being schooled. He has to push someone in the back to get a rebound. Boozer belongs on the shelf beside the likes of OSTERTAG!!! He was a great JAZZ player just like BOOZER will be.

• carl
    May 19, 2008 2:54 p.m.

We need a BIG center like Stoudermire( Phoenix Suns)

• The laker Winners
    May 19, 2008 3:53 p.m.

To Mr. Wallyword, it is you and some of your fellow jazz fans that are the crybabies. Also, your jazz team are the physical thugs. You must be on drugs or something.

• Sign my yearbook
    May 19, 2008 5:19 p.m.

Geez, it's entertainment, nothing more nothing less. Have a nice summer, hope to see you next year in Coach Sloan's gym class. Geez!!

• doesn't have a clue
    May 19, 2008 6:25 p.m.

Can anyone say defensive stops or take it strong to the basket. That is why Boozer has lost his game. He is not doing any of the above. If he does not play with defensive or offensive intensity, which is most every game, he gets dominated. Boozer, compare the one game in the series where you did well and compare it with all the other games. How many times did you take it strongly to the rim? How many defensive stops did you have? It should be obvious. If you play with very little defensive or offensive intensity and effort and your opponent does, who do you think is going to have a good game??

• dbl06@pldi.net
    May 19, 2008 8:28 p.m.

Look around the league at the teams that are still playing. They all have long athletic centers or power forwards (Rasheed and Duncan) who are capable of blocking shots and finishing above the rim. Boozer has and always has had trouble playing against height ( the good ones anyway). Can he get good enough to win a championship regardless of the competition? I hope so, but I doubt it.

• Moto X
    May 20, 2008 8:58 a.m.

Well, Boozer said it now lets see if he does it. Early in his Jazz career, he put his mind to it when all the analysts said "he can never be a 20 & 10 guy". He proved them wrong.

Boozer plays poor defense for sure. He talks likehe has taken the playoff lesson this year personally and I hope he did. I guess we will see next year whether he comes back better or not.

AK and Brewer better practice their open jumpshots. They were both huge liabilites, in that respect, and were a major factor in Boozers failure. He was double and triple teamed repeatedly, and what was the consequence? AK and Brewer clanking open jumpers while their men stood in the paint around Boozer and waited for the inevitable rebound. Nice.

Our shooting guard has to be able to shoot not just dunk.

On the brightside, you have to say we were very competitive with LA. Every game was close, unlike other series which have all had multiple blowouts.

I still think we are in the top 3 or 4 teams in the league--just unfortunate we probably met the best team early in the second round.

• Reality check
    May 22, 2008 7:04 a.m.

All of you who are taking the positive outlook on Boozer and think he will get better and learn from this, work hard over the summer and come back with a chip on his shoulder ala Karl Malone or any of the players who have a little mean streak and take losing personal remember, this guy spent his college years being coached by Coach K and has now spent the last few years of his pro career being coached by Sloan. If spending about 8 years under those two hasn't taught him how to play good D and show some heart and fire then nothing ever will.

The guy is a numbers guy only, and thats all he really cares about. The Jazz will never win a championship with him as their go to guy in the offensive sets. Unless DWill continues on his upward trend and carries the team to a championship that is.

• guess who
    May 23, 2008 11:17 a.m.

I am from L.A. and I like the Jazz because of their teamwork. I like their style, hard work, and discipline as an organization, However, we will need to improve on defense one way or another and d-will have to be the type of guy who can take over a game when necessary which he is very close to doing on a consistent basis. But if either of these things are not accomplished we will never win a championship.