Utah football: Johnson promoted to offensive coordinator

Comments

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    Feb. 1, 2012 11:54 p.m.

Wow! Gutsy, gutsy move, if it's true. Way to go Brian!

• Ufan Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 1, 2012 11:55 p.m.

How will A-Rod respond to being demoted for Chow and then passed over for BJ?

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 1, 2012 11:57 p.m.

Wow. Now we know why there's been talk about going back to more of a spread offense.
    This is a gutsy move by Whittingham, I hope he knows what he's doing.

• bigutefan Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 2, 2012 12:07 a.m.

Why not! BJ was like having a coach on the field, a master of the spread offense, and a winner. How can anyone question a Kyle Whittingham decision, he obviously knows what he is doing, and I think having a younger OC just might be worth the risk, imagine the bond he can develop with the players that sometimes isn't possible with big age differences. I am not sure who we thought we were going to get, but this is a surprise, but BJ has my vote!

• Hegdehog Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 2:01 a.m.

Wow, that's going to be brutal. I'm guessing the pickings were pretty slim then? Oh well, here's to another season at the bottom of the conference offensively.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 2, 2012 5:56 a.m.

Shock and awed at the move. A 25 year old leading a PAC 12 offense?

I hope everything turns out but I'm not sure if he's ready!

Congrats BJ!!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Feb. 2, 2012 6:01 a.m.

I wish I could resurrect every comment U made about Doman last year, contrasting him to the experienced Chow. It seems the chickens have come home to roost.

I'm sure Johnson will do fine, but like Doman (or any of us starting a new job) there will be a learning curve.

• TruthBTold SLC, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 6:08 a.m.

Shocked and amazed!

You would have thought Kyle learned something from watching BYU's inept offense after promoting Doman to O.C. this year.

I give it 2 years max, and the failure to reach another major bowl game, and the change will be made.

The PAC-12 is NOT the best place to start a career as an OC. Though talented, BJ should start somewhere like at the JC or Division II, maybe Div-I FCS, but not experiment at Utah.

• sports fan Provo, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 6:09 a.m.

This could be a make or break move, I trust Coaches talent for finding talent however and i think that Brian will bring a lot of new wrinkles to the offense that nobody has ever seen before.

Go Utes!

• The Dixie Kid Saint George, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 6:15 a.m.

What happened to Roderick?

• 17-14 Hurts Don't It? Springville, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 6:41 a.m.

I can sense the disappointment already from UteNation.

The fans wanted a 'big' name for their 'big boy' program and this is what they get?

Was the only other candidate the coach from Hays' cancelled program back in Omaha?

LOL

• billybubba South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 6:41 a.m.

Sounds to me like a move that another team made last year and has been questioned over and over and over again.

• couglifer South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 7:19 a.m.

I cant wait to see how the Utah fans spin this to make it sound like a great move.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Feb. 2, 2012 7:29 a.m.

I would much rather have seen Brandon Doman get this job, but this would have been my second choice. I think it will work out very well.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 7:30 a.m.

Oh there is a LOT of good stuff here.

1) Obviously there weren't many decent candidates for the job.

2) Love the typical ute "fan" hypocrisy i.e. "gutsy move", "coach on the field", of course when BYU promoted Doman, a man with many more years experience, that played in the NFL, that is more mature, that actually had success developing qb's and putting them into the NFL, utah "fans" mocked it non stop.

3) utah's qb's have actually gotten WORSE since johnson became qb coach. wynn still throws submarine balls and is terrible. That certainly inspires confidence.

4) utah's offense will be absolutely abysmal this next season, and that is really saying something considering it was one of the absolute worst in D1 last season.

5) whittingham is losing it.

6) This is a sinking ship.

7) LOL!

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 7:42 a.m.

What!?!?!?!?! I hope this isn't true. BJ was a decent QB, but even when he was playing I thought he was overrated. He feasted on the prevent D. Now Utah will surely lose A-Rod. I really just don't understand this move. Shocked. Could be terrible, upside is minimal.

• Cougs4Life Gilbert, AZ
    Feb. 2, 2012 7:54 a.m.

Huh...this seems like exactly the big-time move that all Ute Fans expected from their high profile, Pac10 program? Not so much...I guess you're just not as relevant as you thought that you were?

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 7:59 a.m.

Bwahahahahahahaha.

This is awesome.

Wait until all of your recruits have signed their letter of intent THEN announce that you couldn't get any big name person to even take a sniff at the job, hand it over to someone with no experience. Totally classless way to handle the situation. Not fair to any of the recruits but I wouldn't expect anything less.

Don't worry LDS recruits. You can go on your mission and then see what is going on two years from now.

These guys couldn't write the script any better than this.

I've already heard from two different utah fans apologizing for all of their "Doman has no experience" comments from last year.

Good stuff.

• EJM Herriman, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 8:01 a.m.

BJ's hire as the OC for the Utes is a gutsy move by Coach Whit. The kid is only 24 and yet when he came on to the Utes as a freshman he was only 17. Obviously his intelligence level is pretty high or the Utes would not be entrusting him with the keys to Dad's Lincoln Continental. Looking forward to a great season!

• Nobelpromise Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 8:15 a.m.

As member of Crimson Club we were promised that being in PAC12 would mean great coaches would be wanting us. Now we have coach that is younger than some players and doesn't even have experience doing it. We were told things that we believ and then we were given worse stuff that isn't good. We will lose many games now, and often, because our offense will be bad.

• BigUtahFan BOUNTIFUL, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 8:17 a.m.

I'm surprised at the move, but obviously Whitt knows something we don't. I hope we are staying in the pro style offenss. I hate seeing our qb's not get drafted because of this.

Good to see the trolls out in full force. Why would you ever want to sit around and comment on an opposing teams article? Get a life.

GO UTES! In Kyle I Trust!

• govt rocks Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 8:27 a.m.

This is a bold move. Not sure I agree with it. It is either sink or swim, with both Witt and Johnson. Either way, Johnson is only around for 2-3 years. If he has success, you can bet he is gone for a head coaching job. If he fails, would he accept a demotion?

This Ute fan isn't overly excited by this hire, but worse comes to worse, run John White. Again. And expect, at best, another 7-5 season.

• reasonableUTE Provo, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 8:29 a.m.

Knowing Brian and coach Whitt personally, I would have to say that I am absolutely stoked about this hire!!! Brian is as competitive and football intelligent as they come. I don't know what some of you guys are thinking but this is a big splash if i've ever seen one. Probably the youngest OC in the country... He was playing in the Sugar bowl 3 years ago! He will likely go through some growing pains, but I have no doubt he is the right man for the job. Imagine the publicity that will come when Brian proves himself as one of the youngest and brightest football minds in the world. Once he has proven himself (give it a year or two) of course recruits will want to play for a guy like him!! He is an outstanding individual and competitor! Here is one Utah fan who's never been more confident!

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 8:48 a.m.

Take a tip from down south: Be an OC from the pressbox, not on the field.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 9:05 a.m.

Ok, I gotta admit, that I am totally perplexed by this move. Yes, I need to trust Kyle, but come on. Yes, Brian is a stud - who can forget the Sugar Bowl?

But this move defies logic. Kyle hired Chow because of his vast experience, which was needed to compete in the PAC 12. Now, suddenly, experience is no longer necessary after only one year? Sorry but I just don't get it. The Utes are in the PAC 12, now, not still in the MWC!!!

The Utes just recruited a HUGE offensive line, which was making me think that they would get away from the spread and stick to the pro set. But Johnson is more of a spread guy right?

I don't know. I got to trust Kyle, and we fans are obviously not in the thick of the knowledge, but I do think a fan has a right to be a bit perplexed at this. Nobody, and I mean nobody, is an instant success in a hyper-competitive conference where the best recruits will always be at USC and UCLA, and a recent addition to the conference like Utah will take time to develop where it can compete regularly with USC, Oregon, Stanford, etc.

I just got to trust Kyle on this one. But I can't help but feel deflated. Maybe the lack of confidence in some fans like myself will spark a fire in the Utes and they will truly be great offensively. You know the "chip on the shoulder" thing. I can only hope.

• UteJunky70 midvale, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 9:14 a.m.

Why is everyone so trusting in coach Whits ability to hire an OC? When have we ever had an offense that rivals our defense in Whits 7 yrs on the job? And don't say 2008 because our offense was woefully inconsistent that year. Even in 08 our offense almost cost us several early season games due to turnovers. I have always contended that Ron Mcbride lost his job at Utah because of a series of bad hires at OC. Great recruiter, great motivator, players loved to play for him, BAD OFFENSES. Sound familiar? I fear the same fate may await coach Whit.

• NH Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 9:23 a.m.

As a Utah fan, I think the timing of this is odd as well. It does make one suspicious that the U is embarrassed to a degree about the hire announcing it the day after LOI day.

Big gamble, hopefully it pays off.

I will say, however, that Kyle knows the game, Brian Johnson, and the candidates much better than any of us who are lobbing critisism from the cheap seats. Kyle is considered to be one of the top coaches in the nation- look at what he does with finding the diamonds in the rough when it comes to recruiting. Perhaps he feels the same way about Brian Johnson? Let's see how this plays out. One thing is for certain regarding the offense, I am about 60 minutes of football away from abandoning Jordan Wynn.

Go Utes!

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Feb. 2, 2012 9:26 a.m.

So which offense is he going to run? Going back to the spread? Stick with Chow's work? Utah hasn't had an offensive identity for a couple of years, he'll have a lot of work in front of him.

• nosaerfoecioveht NSL, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 9:33 a.m.

@duckhunt

"Utah had one of the worst offenses in D1 last year. I hate everything."

• Carnak Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 9:42 a.m.

Time will obviously tell if this was a good move. There will no doubt be some growing pains as Brian adjusts to his new role.

Best of luck.

• JD Tractor Iowa City, IA
    Feb. 2, 2012 9:43 a.m.

Not a lot of excitement about this promotion, not a ton of logic behind it either. Whitt is risking everything with this hire, ute nation is scratching their heads. Roderick needs to look for another job. He just got thrown under the bus.

• COUGARNATE Lyman, WY
    Feb. 2, 2012 9:45 a.m.

@ bigutefan. I wasn't going to comment, because I think Johnson can eventually be a good OC, but for you to say something about trolling, when I see your troll comments on the BYU posts all the time. Just makes me laugh how you can spin that when you do the same thing.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 9:53 a.m.

I mean...Are you kidding me?????

• couglifer South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 9:55 a.m.

@ nosaerfoecioveht

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 9:56 a.m.

nosaer,

The ute offense didn't put up 54 points in that game for Utah. The cougar offense scored more points for utah than the utah offense did. "Here take this ball, I'll drop it off in the endzone for you. All you have to do is jump on it."

Not the game I would be using to show off the prowess of offense.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 9:56 a.m.

Funny how Cougar "fan" and Duckhunter react to this hiring. Last year, Chow was "too old and washed up." This year Johnson is "too young and inexperienced." Look at it this way Ducky, he CAN"T be worse than Doman.

Doman had you complaining after 3 games last year and lost the "best quarterbak recruit in the nation" by ignoring him the last 3 months of the season.

Whittingham has a good track record and I'm sure he knows what he's doing. As Johnson settles in to his new job, he can always hand the ball to John White.

Last year that resulted in a 54-10 massacre of little brother. LOL

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    Feb. 2, 2012 10:12 a.m.

While I am surprised by the hire, I have a comment for all the BYU fans (especially Ducky) that love to troll these articles.
    None of you have ever been a major college football coach. None of you have have coached a team in a BCS bowl game and none of you were in the interview process. I don't think there was any fear of losing BJ to another school if he didn't get this position. Either the candidate pool was terrible (which I doubt) or coach Whit felt that BJ is something special and ready to take on the challenge.
    Just like the recently signed recruiting classes, the results won't be evident for a year or two. Save you judgment and condemnation until something actually happens.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 10:14 a.m.

I wholeheartedly endorse this hire.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Feb. 2, 2012 10:14 a.m.

Nobelpromise:

"As member of Crimson Club we were promised that being in PAC12 would mean great coaches would be wanting us."

As a REAL member of the Crimson Club, we were promised no such thing. Time for Ignobleposer to get back to pretending her cougies are headed to the Big XII.

I was really hoping we'd get Mike McCoy from Denver. I LOVE Johnson, and think he was an amazing field general back when he was playing. I also think he has the football I.Q. to one day be an Offensive Coordinator...but not NOW! One year under Chow does not an O.C. make. I'm really hoping I'm wrong.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Feb. 2, 2012 10:22 a.m.

Will we be getting an new QB coach now, or will the 24-yr old rookie O.C. be managing double duty?

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 10:22 a.m.

Wow this caught me by surprise.

I'm a fan of Brian Johnson but I still feel that this may have been too early in his career for this level of promotion. I just hope Kyle knows what he is doing on this. I also hope the other position coaches have bought into this decision.

As to all the coug fans predicting failure. We did just secure the highest ranked recruiting class the Utes have ever had and your team wasn't even listed in the top 50. We now also have Wynn healthy and two new legitimate D1 freshmen that are far more talented than what we had almost all of last year.

Also, as far as Doman is concerned, it was your loyal cougar fan base that was calling for his job at the start of last years season - especially after the humiliating beat down at the hands of the Utes. He did get better and the level of oppenent got worse. So it's hard to tell how good he is and I imagine Brian will go through the same learning curve - except the level of oppenent is consistently much higher.

Go Utes

• Arm of Orion Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 10:26 a.m.

I was expecting Johnson to become the new OC, however not this year! This makes me nervous and excited. He has a good head for the game. Let's rock the town Mr. Johnson!

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 10:29 a.m.

This surprised me as well. I don't know how it will work out, but you can be sure of a rocky start on offense next season (although I feel inclined to call out the hypocrites making fun of Bronco who promoted the inexperienced Doman and then praise Kyle).

"That horrible offense somehow managed to put up 54 on your stellar cougar defense. In LES :)"

Thanks for providing even more evidence that that game was an anomaly, a fluke.

Anyway, I do hope that the Utes do well. When Utah looks good, BYU looks good and vice-versa. We have been disappointing each other with our play these last few years and here's hoping for both teams to regain their ranked status soon.

• Robroy Murray, utah
    Feb. 2, 2012 10:35 a.m.

This is indeed funny. Nothing against Johnson personally but his great knowledge of the spread offence came straight from the brain of Urban. We saw plenty of the mighty Ute offence last year to predict the future...it looks abysmal. I think even I could call plays for the Utes. White IV left, White IV right, White IV up the middle. White IV gets his 1200 yards. Utes win 5 games. End of Ute offensive story.

• billybubba South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 10:56 a.m.

@ CO Ute

Spin it spin it good

• Disco Vega MoTown, CA
    Feb. 2, 2012 11:09 a.m.

Whitt has his act together and this move will prove once again why the Utes are the Original BCS Busters...brethren, No Risk...No Gain. Go Utes, Go BJ...U da' Man Now!

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    Feb. 2, 2012 11:25 a.m.

I loved Brian Johnson as a player. His contributions to the 2008 season are some of my favorite memories as a fan. That being said, I am disappointed with this hire. The Utes are coming off a year in which the offense struggled mightily with one of the most respected offensive minds at the helm. Sure, some of that can be attributed to the backup QB and integration into the new conference. But I wonder if a kid with very little coaching experience can assume the new responsibilities and lead the offense. He has no play calling experience and does not likely have a lot of experience making in-game adjustments, except from the player side of things.

You also have to worry about the QB position, again, this year. Nothing will convince me that Wynn can play a full season, which means Utah will likely have a Freshman QB and Freshman OC. What a scary combo!

On the bright side, I think the player talent that is in place and that has just been acquired fits weel with the spread. Let's hope they can light up the scoreboard like the spread can.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 11:27 a.m.

@couglifer
    "if I remember right 7 turnovers and a very tired defense helped more than your offence did"

------

Better teams like Utah tend to force turnovers and wear down opposing defenses.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Feb. 2, 2012 11:49 a.m.

I wonder what Chow thinks of this hire? Did Whittingham ask for his professional opinion as to the readiness level of Johnson assuming this role? Did Chow recommend him as his successor?

• Cougs4Life Gilbert, AZ
    Feb. 2, 2012 11:49 a.m.

@Utes Fan

Better teams don't lose to Colorado...

• couglifer South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 11:54 a.m.

@ Utes Fan

On that day the Utes were by far the better team. All I said was that the 7 turnovers played a bigger part in the final score then the offence, take away the two TD runs by White one for 62 and the other for 35 and look at Whites total yards he was pretty much held in check then dont give any points to BYU but take away 2 gimmies fumble recovered in end zone and int returned for TD four plays totaling 28 of 54 points. Yes it sounds as if I am making excuses but the 7 turnovers and tired defense helped to make the final score more than the Ute offence

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 11:56 a.m.

Didn't Whitt boast that there were an amazing number of unbelievable big named coaches applying for the Utah OC job a couple of weeks back? Kyle sure pulled a fast one on ute fans, recruits and players with that lie. Well ute fans, once again, you've been "Krugered!"

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 12:02 p.m.

@Cougs4Life
    "Better teams don't lose to Colorado..."

--------
    So, the Cougars' 44 blowout to Utah was a "fluke", but Utah's 3-point loss (with 3 missed field goals) was not a fluke???

54-10
    7 out of 10

Just sayin'

• Aloha Saint George Saint George, Utah
    Feb. 2, 2012 12:08 p.m.

2 years now as an assistant and another 4 on the team. I think Whittingham knows knows BJ pretty well. He's made some great decisions in making Kalani Sitake a D-Coordinator. Good luck

• Utehaterforlife Syracuse, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 12:09 p.m.

If the Utes don't perform in 2 or maybe 3 years, Ute nation can say bye bye to coach Whit and BJ, same with BYU, if Doman doesn't do well this year, I could see there being a change there also.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Feb. 2, 2012 12:11 p.m.

"BJ was like having a coach on the field, a master of the spread offense, and a winner. "

Boy how I would love to see Wynnie running the spread offense, he wouldn't last 1 quarter. And now is Hansen going to start and run the spread? That would be another "gutsy" move.

How is it possible that a powerhouse Pac team that has two BCS wins and a Sun bowl win and an offense ranked #110, not attract a top OC? I thought Alabama's OC was coming to the hill. Someone supposedly said that the utes were the only team other than Oregon that was going to give USC a run for their money next season. hahahahah yeah right!! good luck with all that.

• Hegdehog Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 12:15 p.m.

In another life I could see Whitt on a NY street corner ripping people off playing 3 card Monty and the shell game. Didn't he promise that there were 100's of applicants and numerous unbelievable big name, high profile coaches wanting to coach the utes?

What a crock. It's hilarious that he waited until AFTER signing day to make this announcement. wow, it's gotten really bad. Not only does he pull the wool over the eyes and lie to his recruits ("Sure you can try out at QB...") but now he's sticking it to the fans as well.

He's looking more and more like a desperate man making terrible rash decisions. I wonder...before he became a football coach at utah, didn't he used to captain Italian cruise ships?

• UteJunky70 midvale, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 12:17 p.m.

Hey Trolls, it's so interesting that you cougs are dillusional enough to even believe that there is a rivalry anymore. It must be similar to how an Ohio St. fan feels when some OhioU fan gets on there page and talks a little smack. Cougs are nothing but a nuisance. BYU doesn't even matter anymore. We'd be better off and better tested by playing Utah St. every year. The biggest diff between Doman and Johnson is that Johnsons going to have much better players to implement his schemes. Players win games and relative to the cougs we've got the players,they do not.The question for Ute fans will forever be, "do we have the talent relative to the Pac-12?" These are the concerns to Ute fans. BYU is no longer on our radar.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Feb. 2, 2012 12:25 p.m.

No matter how you utes spin it, Duck hit it right on with point #2

No way is it a good thing to be young and inexperienced in the world of college football today at any level. And especially when your job is as crucial as the OC. It's not a gutsy move, or a bold move, or a genius move. It's a "we didn't have any applicants worth a darn" move.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 2, 2012 12:39 p.m.

I don't know yet if this is the greatest move, I am approaching this with cautious optimism. The one thing I do know is that Brian Johnson is light years ahead of Doman in every aspect from football IQ, to respect from players, to recruiting. Of course, that would be like saying that the Utah Jazz are light years ahead of the Westlake J.V. basketball team. It is so obvious, it is a given!!

Go Utes!! Onward and Upward.

Also - go you mighty Zags!!!!

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Feb. 2, 2012 12:43 p.m.

I like Johnson but it might be too early for this promotion. Do the Utes lose Roderick over this move? What about Crowton?

• MN Ute SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 12:46 p.m.

@ Aloha Saint George
    you're right, especially with BYU bringing in Tanner Mangum, who I admit is CURRENTLY a better qb prospect than Wilson or Hansen.

@ jarka-rus
    i'm the one who made the giving USC a run for its money comment, and I still stand behind it. Of all the years for the Utes to put in a young OC and QB, now would be it when we're packed at OL, RB, TE, and WR, especially if that QB is Wilson and the OC is Johnson. Plus, our D should be even beastlier next year, meaning that Nelson or Mangum are going to be in for a fun night (calling Star with 4 sacks, Salt with 3, and then spread in a few fumbles and one-two INT's).

As to the spread thing, I doubt we'll go back to spread, our recruits are more suited to pro style. Instead, I think we'll see a hybrid offense that is mostly pro style but mixes in aspects of the spread and the option. That is the type of offense I could see BJ excelling at coaching. And no, Wynn wouldn't survive this, but I'd rather put Wilson in from the beginning anyway.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Feb. 2, 2012 12:48 p.m.

UteJunky70
    "The biggest diff between Doman and Johnson is that Johnsons going to have much better players to implement his schemes."

Uh-huh, name one, other than White. Serioulsy, who are these MUCH better players? Without White what kind of offense would Johnson put out on the field?

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Feb. 2, 2012 12:50 p.m.

I hope Whitt doesn't go back to the spread offense. Chase Hansen and Travis Wilson are athetic QBs though (good fit). However, I like the down hill run game with John White IV and this new 4 star RB Kevin York. If Jordan Wynn is the starter next year, then the spead is a real question mark for me. Jordan's strengths are not suited for the spread. If you start Hansen or Wilson, then we have a freshman leading the new offense. That is too much of a gamble for me. So is promoting Johnson this early. Is he ready? What happens to Roderick ect...? The Utes lost Schramm already.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Feb. 2, 2012 12:57 p.m.

VegasUte
    "one thing I do know is that Brian Johnson is light years ahead of Doman in every aspect from football IQ, to respect from players, to recruiting"

Based on what? Did he recruit this stellar #110 ranked Offense? Yep then he is light years ahead in that regard, I see how you could think that. So Doman never played in the NFL and Johnson did right, or is it that he couldn't even play in the UFL? Doman never had the "football" IQ to win games right? Keep the spin cycle going. If winning a BCS game was the ONLY criteria for becoming an OC, then every single team in the nation would have a 20 something OC.

• billybubba South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 1:00 p.m.

@UteJunky70
    Try telling that to all the Ute that get on BYU articles and blow a lot of smoke.

@ VegasUte
    The only reason Johnson is so far ahead of Doman is because he is on the hill and Doman is not. How would you have felt if Whit had hired Doman instead? But then again this team needs to have coaches from some place other than BYU right.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 1:21 p.m.

I do love all the talk from coug fans. It wouldn't be a good Utah article wiithout several posts each from all of the jealous coug fans. Let's not forget that these are the same fans that were calling for Doman's job last year after the Utes embarrassed them at home with our #110 ranked offense - lol!.

Aren't there any articles out there about how good your own teams recruiting class was - like they are the ones to get it done? I think by "it" Bronco means get wins against 2 out of 3 Idaho schools.

As for Brian Johnoson, only time will tell how successful he will be. He has a lot of good players coming back and coming into the program for next year. Combine that with a top ranked defense and I think the Utes will be just fine.

• UteJunky70 midvale, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 1:24 p.m.

Jarka-rus

How many players has BYU had drafted in the last 10 years. Not many. The Utes currently have 10 players starting in the NFL. Many of whom are playing at an all-pro level.(Weddle,Gross,Steve Smith,Paul Solia, Sione Pouha). BYU has 2.The Nfl is the true indicator of the talent in a program. Most NFL scouts would probably need directions to Provo. And that terrible UTE offense you keep referring to put up 54 on yout sorry butts. Lets also put the turnover thing to rest. Utah led 24-10 at a point when BYU had 3 TO's and the UTES had 2 TO's plus a turnover on downs.That seems even, but we still led by 14. Turnovers may have been what caused the game to get out of hand but they were not the reason Utah won.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 2, 2012 1:25 p.m.

@jarka-rus: "Uh-huh, name one"

Kelvin York, DVC, Dres, Harvy Langi, Reggie Dunn, Miles Mason, Carlos Lozano, Jeremiah Poutasi, Marc Pauvave, Hiva Latui, Brian Allen, Travis Wilson (and no you cannot compare Tanner to Wilson right now - Tanner won't touch a football field for two and a hoalf years), Jordan Wynn .... So many choices that I couldn't stop at one. You want me to name a few on defense too? Star Latulelei, Moana Ofaengaue, Boo Anderson, Brian Blechen, Dave Kruger, Joe Kruger, Junior Salt, Thretton Palamo, Joseph Smith, Hooker .........

I am getting writers cramp!!!!

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 2, 2012 1:36 p.m.

@jarka-rus: Based on what?

Uh - common sense!!! And on the fact that blew nation is flocking to this story trying to make yourselves feel better!! Thanks for your interest in Ute nation, though. We appreciate it!

Go Whitt! Go Brian!! Go Utes!!

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 2, 2012 1:39 p.m.

Top 10 signs your program is going "down hill":

Honorable mentions:

-54-10
    -Independence

10- The best keepsake you have is a closet full of t-shirts with unfulfilled catch phrases
    9- Robert Anae is the only coach you have that anyone nationally cares about - woops, he was let go by Bronco
    8- Your sole 2008 4 star recruit now plays for Utah (ouch!)
    7- Your highest profile recruit in a decade is now redshirting for Charlie Weiss!
    6- Your HUGE scheduling news: home and home with .... East Carolina??
    5- 10-3 record with a strength of schedule hovering at 100
    4- Dwindling players in the NFL - no Pro Bowler since ..... when?? (3 Utes this year!)
    3- November schedule, or lack thereof (as many âbyesâ as games)
    2- BADLY losing in state recruiting to bitterest of rivals
    1- ESPN thinks your coach's name is Roscoe!!

Great to be a Ute!!

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Feb. 2, 2012 1:56 p.m.

same comment/different article Desnews.

Is it just me, or is this the wierdest reshuffling of coaching assignments ever seen in football? If Johnson is going to be the offensive coordinator and QB coach, is he going to be on the field like Doman was last year? Who is calling the plays? How can you coach the QBs and be in the booth? Freshman QB starting the spread next year? Roderick is now a passing coordinator? What does that mean? We have two offensive coordinators? That didn't work to well last time. Sitake is assistant head coach? Whatever. Tim Davis is still the offensive line coach but only coaches the TEs and Tackles. The new guy coaches the Centers and Guards? Is this simplifying a spread assignment system or complicating it. Hill is now the RB coach, but still special teams coach. Hill is going to be overseeing ball security? Scary. What offense is Utah running? I like Shah as the cornerbacks coach, but where is Scalley? No mention of him here.

• moderateinmagna MAGNA, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 2:10 p.m.

i,m pretty sick of all this my dad can beat your dad talk, fact is that 3 of Utah,s current coaches either played at or coached at BYU so go ahead and run down BYU but if it were not for BYU and Lavell Edwards Utah would not have a coaching staff, both schools depend on each other so knock of all this trash talk, you both have your share of trolls EQUALLY. And its getting pretty old you all need to grow up and stop acting like 5 year olds

• UteJunky70 midvale, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 2:22 p.m.

@Vegas Ute: You are on fire today my friend.

It has been fantastic to be living in the greatest era of football in the history of our fine state. As the Y has diminished the UTES have ascended to heights previously unimagined for our program. 2 BCS bowl wins. 10 out of 11 bowl wins overall. 2 top 4 national rankings. 2 unbeaten seasons.An unprecedent number of UTES excelling at the next level. And finally admittance into the conference of champions.

You almost have to feel sorry for the zoobs on there long journey toward the bottom.I hope it's a long time before we have to think back 30 years to recapture our glory.

I'm not sure how todays hire will change the future of UTE football.

But at least I know were relevant.........

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    Feb. 2, 2012 2:24 p.m.

@billybubba re: spin it good

Anywhere in my comments did I say this is the greatest hire ever and would lead us to the Rose Bowl? My point was to all the posters making assumptions about the number of candidates and quality of candidates for the job. Unless you were involved in the interview process you don't have the inside scoop and everything is speculation.

I'll make the same point again. Wait a year or two, just like we do with recruits, to make your comments on the quality of this hire.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 2:26 p.m.

gdog3finally,
    Most of those questions you bring up are pretty commonplace in college football (2 OL coaches, passing game coordinator). I'm with you on Jay Hill coaching the runningbacks, though, little dicy, but if it makes room for Sharrieff to coach a position, but we get to keep Hill as special teams coordinator I'll take it. I love Sharrieff and the energy he brings. I personally think that Davis being the TE/T coach indicates staying with pro-style power run offense. Most spread teams have several different full-time offensive positions like outside receivers coaches, inside receivers coaches, etc. I suspect they made Sitake officially the assistant head coach as a reason to give him a raise, hopefully keep him here for a couple more years and prep him to become a head coach in the next few years.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 2:36 p.m.

It is the being of the end...

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 3:03 p.m.

Help! Help! The sky is falling!

So many comments sound like they expect this hire to scuttle the entire Ute ship.

We have no idea how this will turn out. Obviously Johnson has a great football mind. Obviously a coach is no better than the players he has (even genius Norm Chow struggled given that he had no quarterbacks). Johnson is at least getting two new quality quarterbacks plus Wynn should be ready to go by September.

Ute fans will have to be patient because the first few games will be difficult. We watched Doman struggle at the beginning of the season and then settle into the job. It's not only that the competition got easier but obviously the offense was functioning better with time, play-calling got better and execution improved. I expect the same will happen with Johnson.

The O-line looks to be better next year, and John White III is still there. I actually expect the Utes to do better next year than last.

And - go Cougars!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 3:10 p.m.

@vegasute

You are now officially the most delusional utah "fan".

LOL!

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 2, 2012 3:23 p.m.

Ducky - once again you proved my point!!

Go Utes!! Onward and Upward!!

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 3:25 p.m.

@duckhunter

and you already were the most delusional byu "fan" ever

LOL

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 2, 2012 3:26 p.m.

@UteJunky70

I couldn't have said it any better myself!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 3:50 p.m.

And sportsfanforlife charges hard up vegasute's left side, it is neck and neck.....of course in this race there is no winner. Just two sadly deluded individuals that actually think brian johnson will be a good o.c. LOL! This despite the fact that utah's qb's actually got worse under his tutelage. Love it.

LOL!

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 5:10 p.m.

@ducky

So do you think Brandon Doman is a good OC? Did you think he was a good hire last year? Were you amoung the rest of the coug fans calling for his job after the Utes blasted them in a rivalry game on your home field when Doman's offense put up 10 points?

Kind of funny you are on here calling Utah fans hypocritical.

I remember the few days after that game when you didn't comment a dozen times on every Utah article. Those were good times.

I'm sorry that your team doesn't give you anything to be excited about. The good news for you is that byu's media department is hard at work coming up with a new catchy slogan - maybe you can get one of those free shirts sponsored by Zion's bank.

Now that is something to laugh at.

Go Utes!

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 2, 2012 5:20 p.m.

For Ducky - once AGAIN: "And on the fact that blew nation is flocking to this story trying to make yourselves feel better!! Thanks for your interest in Ute nation, though. We appreciate it!

If ANYTHING noteworthy was happening down south, I would think that you would be on the blew blogs congratulating yourselves. Of course, little brothers are always jealous of what they don't have!"

In addition: "Ducky - once again you proved my point!!

Thanks for your interest in Ute Nation!! Come again anytime! You are entertaining!!"

Too easy!!

Go UTES!! Go little Zaggies!!

• News For U Sandy, Utah
    Feb. 2, 2012 5:53 p.m.

@ moderateinmagna

"Fact is that 3 of Utah,s current coaches either played at or coached at BYU so go ahead and run down BYU but if it were not for BYU and Lavell Edwards Utah would not have a coaching staff, both schools depend on each other so knock of all this trash talk".

Don't forget BYU got their legendary head coach Lavell Edwards from Utah State, Legendary OC Doug Scovill from Pacific, and legendary OC Norm Chow from the University of Utah. Don't tell us great football coaches come out of BYU.

Lavell Edwards was a great coach because he had a GREAT supporting cast. Doug Scovill was the mastermind behind the passing game in the 1970's that revolutionized college football, not Edwards. It was Edwards idea to pass, but it was Scovill that designed the passing concept. Norm Chow was the OC at BYU that resulted in winning seasons for 20+ years. BYU fans thought he wasn't good and hired Crowton to replace Edwards. Chow goes onto USC and won two National Championships with the Trojans and later winded up at Utah where he thumped BYU 54-10 before taking the HC job at Hawaii.

• News For U Sandy, Utah
    Feb. 2, 2012 5:55 p.m.

@ moderateinmagna

• UtahUte16 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 6:20 p.m.

After next year's beatdown at RES, do you think Duckhunter will go missing in action for 3 weeks instead of 2 like this year? Maybe a week for each consecutive year the Utes have come out on top?

Coach Johnson has a lot to learn but I trust coach Whittingham's judgement.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 9:16 p.m.

CougFaninTX said,"Did U wait to announce Johnson as the new OC after signing day for fear of scaring off some new recruits?"

Probably the most significant and serious question of the day.

Wow, the thought that this choice of OC could have affected some of these kids decisions. I'm sure some of them were led to believe that the new OC would probably be someone well known, experienced, along the lines and legacy of Norm Chow...

... sorry kid, didn't happen.

• MLH SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Feb. 3, 2012 8:59 p.m.

sammyg

Every kid that signed new who was going to be the OC. And yes I do know that for sure. You have absolutley no-idea what is going on up there. You're just one big guess after another. This is no question the best hire coach Whit could have made, the kid is brilliant. Recruting is also a very big part of the picture which Coach Johnson is very big, Shaw will bring in kids that would never have looked at the U. It's a whole package that is needed these days, not just X's & O's which he is very prepared to make he has had mentors the same as Dohman (who will be much better this year).

Sorry kid, it DID happen