Signing day: Biographies of 2012 BYU Cougars football recruiting class

Comments

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 1, 2012 9:31 a.m.

BYU did very well. I look forward to years of growth and development from most if not all of these great student atheletes.

Only fans truly disappointed in their own schools recruits will come on here and make comments about what BYU was able to sign.
    Now let the complainers appear

• Pugman TREMONTON, UT
    Feb. 1, 2012 11:17 a.m.

Pretty good list of recruits. Now we'll get to see how they all mesh together and how it comes together on the football field.

• Kipp Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 1, 2012 12:17 p.m.

Speaking of which. I remember several years back watching highlights of the recruits that BYU had signed. I remember watching train wreck like hits from Shiloah Te'o from Kahuku High School. I always wondered what materialized with Shiloah. I heard that he was let go from the team - was this before or after his cousin Manti signed with Notre Dame over the Y? Oh yeah, it was after.

Enjoy your independence.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Feb. 1, 2012 12:40 p.m.

I hope Kipp feels better now, having purged all that vitriol.

I am very happy with this group. If they all play up to their abilities they should be very good. I was especially interested in which schools recruited them: some very impressive programs on the list.

• billybubba South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 1, 2012 12:47 p.m.

kipp

what is you problem with BYU did you try to get in and they said no. If my memory service me right he was let go because of a DUI and then denied that he got one.

• Glfklee Santa Fe, NM
    Feb. 1, 2012 1:33 p.m.

BYU's recruits look decent, too early in the game to see the impacts of the new player/students. Hopefully, they can help set a more solid foundation for a football team that seems to be struggling in finding an identity. Nothing seems to feel stable in the program; coaching (I like Mendenhall, but please make football a priority!!!), independence, direction, fan relations.

One mans opinion, that's all.

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    Feb. 1, 2012 1:40 p.m.

"Seriously, Mr. Mangum, enjoy your year or two before you transfer. Not even the sweet sensational smells of Legends Grill will be able to keep this guy at the Y.

Enjoy your independence."

I believe he ended up at Idaho and subsequently drafted by the Houston Texans.

Seeing every game on National Televsion has been awesome. Schedules appear to improve down the road too. Big 12 sources may continue to discuss BYU but, short of superconferences good luck getting them to give this up.

Don't let that denial of admission letter get you down either. There are still plenty of good opportunities out there even for those who graduate from Utah.

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    Feb. 1, 2012 1:43 p.m.

Looks like there will be another Collie down there to open his big mouth. I hope that Tanner pans out more than Heaps did. I dont think that Tanner is that talker that Heaps was, and wont go to Iggys predicting a NC, or BCS bowls. Great signing class for both schools. Here's to hoping that they both pan out, and keep the rivalry going.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Feb. 1, 2012 2:00 p.m.

I continue to be amused. So many Ute trolls say they have moved on to the PAC12, yet their obsession will BYU continues. Instead of comparing their recruits against other PAC12 schools, and their new rival Colorado, they compare against BYU. I suppose BYU will always be the standard to compare against.

However, if U compare your recruiting class against other schools in the PAC12, U would find that U are ranked 6th in one comparison (the highest I could find) and 9th in another comparison (the lowest I could find).

I don't wish ill will against the Utes, but I anticipate that most years the Utes will find themselves finishing between 6th and 9th in the PAC, right where there recruiting finished.

BYU will always be skewed by RM's . . . this year especially. If the returning missionaries were accounted for this year, this would be one of BYU's best recruiting classes. There are some great high school recruits and some fantastic returned missionaries that will be added to the team this year. Go Cougs!

• IDC Boise, ID
    Feb. 1, 2012 2:02 p.m.

Sounds like a great group of young men who are both athletic and bright. I look forward to seeing how they develop. Go Cougars!

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Feb. 1, 2012 8:51 p.m.

CFIT, and if the departing missionaries were also counted, it would still look about like it does now. Not a great abundance, but from what I've heard, some athletic, possibly under the radar, players. Good luck to them, and congrats to all the kids in the nation who came one step closer today to receiving a quality education. Go Utes!

• IndianaCoug Bloomington, IN
    Feb. 2, 2012 11:01 a.m.

FYI, I just spent my lunch break calculating the actual rankings of this class (minus players leaving on missions and adding those coming back and transfers). Taking that all into account the Scouts/Rivals rankings aren't dramatically different. We're losing two 4-star athletes, two 3-star, and two 2-star; and we're picking up two 4-star, eight 3-star, and two 2-star(so really all that has happened is we gain six 3-star athletes). The average ranking from rivals goes up to 2.91 which would tie for #37 (up from unranked). I couldn't figure how scouts calculated their "points" but I imagine a similar jump based on average rankings.

• davidutefan Evanston, WY
    Feb. 2, 2012 9:04 p.m.

Sounds like a pretty good signing class, Maybe they can get within 3 or 4 touchdowns of Utah on the scoreboard now.

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    Feb. 3, 2012 11:52 p.m.

Very solid class, I really like what BYU did and I kinda like the fact that BYU has some under the radar recruits who arent getting a ton of national hype.