Utah

Doug Robinson: 'Cougars' is offensive? Who knew?

Comments

• Max-was-right springville, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 1:57 a.m.

Ute grads/fans on the school board maybe?

• BirdmanKen Fishers, IN
    Jan. 24, 2012 3:11 a.m.

Bravo! Well said.

• US Army Veteran Lindon, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 3:49 a.m.

Charger? It is either a warhorse or a large platter or plate that is placed under a dinner plate at either a fancy eating establishment or a royal banquet. It is very possible that these elite school board members were thinking of the second definition rather than the first because having a warhorse as a mascot would be inciting violence.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Jan. 24, 2012 4:37 a.m.

Love the Mark Twain quote. Could replace "school board" with "politicians". I just want to know: where are these people's minds? What are they watching? Other than a few low-budget shows with aging sex symbols, "Cougars" are not in the mainstream media.

And how do we know "chargers" won't become offensive in the next 40 years??

• grip Meridian, ID
    Jan. 24, 2012 5:18 a.m.

If a local school board can do this, just think what a national "school board" could do. The possibilities are endless.

• RevK Glenwood, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 5:55 a.m.

........read about this a week ago. Yeah, pretty dumb. Must have a (cougar) on the school board. Anything can be offensive or dirty. Just add ( if you know what Im saying!!! Wink Wink!!)

• Pete1215 Lafayette, IN
    Jan. 24, 2012 6:10 a.m.

Great article.

The cross-town opponents of the Indians would of course be the Pale Faces.

• slugworth Hyrum, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 6:11 a.m.

I especially like how DN's articles can freely call people idiots, but not commenters.

• yuvgot2bkidding Salt Lake, Utah
    Jan. 24, 2012 6:11 a.m.

C'mon D Rob, The Board's just trying to justify their existence. I suspect they've seen too many episodes of 'Cougar Town' with Courtney Cox and have filled their heads with lacivious thoughts from which they are trying to protect others.

• raybies Layton, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 6:16 a.m.

In this day and age, Chargers are offensive. They are destroying our economy by charging so much on their credit cards. Clearly these people hate our kids and expect them to live mired in the surly bonds of financial slavery all their lives. I'm outraged and want the schoolboards to know that I'll be mortally offended until you rename your mascot something less offensive.

I know, how about the "Chinese Importers!" or the "Islamic Terrorists" or the "Illegal Immigrants". Nothing offensive about those three mascots, but unfortunately those are all I could come up with...

I'd make a few more suggestions but right now, but I'm afraid every mascot I can come up with has something offensive about it... or will... once I'm done.

• Navyvet taylorsville, utah
    Jan. 24, 2012 6:18 a.m.

Who hired those people. Talk about being ultra sensitive in the extreme. It's ludicrous.

• Mayfair City, Ut
    Jan. 24, 2012 6:46 a.m.

"Apparently, it occurs to the people who serve on the school board, which should be embarrassing.'

Ha!

• Pete in Texas Copperas Cove, TX
    Jan. 24, 2012 6:48 a.m.

... only in Utah.

Sheesh.

• OneAmerican Idaho Falls, ID
    Jan. 24, 2012 7:04 a.m.

This was a great article! How in the world can we hope to teach our children to face the world when we, as adults, get hung up over such little things. Sorry, but if "Cougar" as a mascot is offensive to you, then you're simply TRYING to be offended. But, to me it's the school board's DECISION and what it infers that should be offensive to middle aged women. Are they saying that middle-aged women's emotions are so fragile and tender that if you use Cougar as a mascot, they will take offense and need therapy? If that is what they really believe, they could never expect those same middle-aged women that teach in their district to be able to handle a classroom full of teenagers every day (forget about the mascot)?!! THAT's what's really offensive!

• Y Eng PROVO, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 7:14 a.m.

Thank you for the article. I feel that the decision was kind of ridiculous as well.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Jan. 24, 2012 7:56 a.m.

Let stop pretending the school board is telling the truth. The board is sprinkled with ute fans who don't want the school to have the same colors and mascot as BYU. It's really that juvenille. There, the truth is out.

• OJF64 Sandy, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 7:57 a.m.

Really.... I dont want those on the board teaching my kids anything. Thats a ridiculas reason for not using the cougar as the school mascot. The board members need to be replaced with logical thinking individuals.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 7:59 a.m.

These people should have their names out there. Here goes..
    Mont Millerberg, Kim Murphy Horiuchi, Paul McCarty
    Tracy Scott Cowdell, Sherril Taylor, Steve Wrigley, Kevin Craig Cromar
    Now if you voted for any of these people, be really embarrassed!

• thebig1 SLC, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 8:04 a.m.

Funny article Doug, good you didn't post it as a comment it would have never got past the D News censors.

• Shimlau SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 8:10 a.m.

This was just a lesson in modern day politics. The actual will of the people who voted, was ignored. the option the 'Board' picked wasn't even in mentioned by those who voiced an opinion. Sounds just like the government, including local, state, and national.

• CaliforniaCougar Lake Elsinore, CA
    Jan. 24, 2012 8:16 a.m.

Oh great. I was hoping it would not come down to this, but I just may have to change my DNews display name from CaliforniaCougar to CaliforniaCharger. It's just the right thing to do, I guess. I certainly don't want to offend anyone.

• Diamondcutter LEXINGTON, SC
    Jan. 24, 2012 8:18 a.m.

I can see the mascot now.......cheerleader with too much make up, mini skirt and stiletto heals leading the team out onto the field of play. What's not to like? What a ridiculous "controversy"!!

• ewfalor west valley city, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 8:22 a.m.

Well written piece, Doug! I laughed out loud at Mr. Cromar's quote about alliteration. My kindergartener knows what alliteration is - good thing he doesn't attend a Canyons District school.

• HardToBelieve Kaysville, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 8:24 a.m.

"And she, being before instructed of her mother, said, Give me here John Baptist's head in a CHARGER." (Matthew 14:8) We certainly can't have a mascot associated with such an overtly religious and violent reference, can we?

• VegasBart N. Las Vegas, NV
    Jan. 24, 2012 8:25 a.m.

Wow, and these are the folk we've chosen to help run our schools? This is embarrasingly ridiculous. Come on parents--get this right!

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 8:39 a.m.

I laughed my head off. Great article. The mind reels at the heights stupidity can reach.

• barbara Carlsbad, CA
    Jan. 24, 2012 8:48 a.m.

I came from the Buckeye State, where fans have been waiting for years to change the name to the Laker State. Never mind that there are no natural lakes within its borders. At least the name will not offend any animals, races, loose women or trees. And, the designation worked really well for the team in Los Angeles.
    Meantime, alliteration aside, give the board an 'a' for awesome arduous administrative action. So needed in this day and age of overt offenses.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Jan. 24, 2012 9:04 a.m.

When you hear something like this, changing mascot names, you know that there are Democrat liberals involved. Lack of common sense is destroying our country. If the people running the school are worried about some liberal term, then we all should be worried about what they are teaching at the school.
    Instead of changing the name, maybe they should change some people in administration and on the school board. I am guessing that Chargers would probably better fit their spending habits.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 9:06 a.m.

Dear Lonster: It was Mountain View High School and I agree with you that it was silly. Both the students AND the parents voted to name it Rocky Mountain High and the school board rejected it. That fact is, the song by John Denver refers to a natural high by being in the Rocky Mountains. It doesn't refer to drugs. It was a stupid, excessively sensitive decision.

• Mark C Gilbert, SC
    Jan. 24, 2012 9:13 a.m.

Rock Mountain High was the preferred name for Timpview. By now, the negative connotation has long since diminished and will soon be forgotten as will the song that inspired it (anyone remember John Denver except us oldies?). The same will be the fate of the use of Cougar to denote a middle aged woman. The school will long outlast this passing reference. Let 'em have Cougar!!!

• DeltaFoxtrot West Valley, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 9:13 a.m.

Welcome to the United States of The Offended.

• cldstar Twin Falls, ID
    Jan. 24, 2012 9:19 a.m.

I'm glad to see Doug calling out the school board on their ill-considered, short-sighted, and embarrassing behavior.

• Frankenberry Saint George, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 9:26 a.m.

Just when you think we have plumbed the depths of human foolishness here come these people. First the kids in New Jersey suspended for 'Tebowing'. Then the 6 year old in Texas (I think) who got whacked for using the word 'cute' to describe his teacher. Now this. We have gone quite completely insane. The members of this school board should be taken out and put to work in an oil field for a couple of years. How do they live in their skin?

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 9:29 a.m.

Each and every one of those school board dopes needs to be voted out of office. Every time I think of a charger, I remember that was where John the Baptists head was placed after he was killed. I don't even think of a horse. When I think of cougar, I think of very large pussy cat that lives in the wild and eats things that used to breath. Oh, and also Kearns High and BYU.

The school board needs to think of better ways to spend their time. Bunch of U fans that they are.

• lds4gaymarriage Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 9:30 a.m.

When I heard about thhis, I thought that some enterprising BYU student could make a calendar featuring middle aged single coeds at BYU. Perhaps they could be shown with an impish grin on their faces and their arms around newly returned RMs who have a look of shock or terror on their faces. The calendar could be called "The Cougars of BYU". It would sell like hotcakes and could be a great fundraiser. I'd buy one.

• Mommy Meridian, ID
    Jan. 24, 2012 9:46 a.m.

It is sad that society has a habit of corrupting perfectly good words. I quit wearing my "Cougar" shirt since it has put me in some embarrassing situations as I am a happily-married, middle-aged woman. It was bad enough when my OB commented on it, but a scenerio with a ward member didn't look good to the youth nearby when he was reading aloud my shirt. It didn't help that he was younger either. I remain a loyal cougar fan, but any future shirts I wear will say BYU on them.

• trueblue87 Provo, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 9:47 a.m.

Clearly by the other options: falcon, diamondbacks, etc, they were thinking of middle aged single women when they cast their vote.

I would venture to guess that this school board is made up of middle age single women.

• huggyface Murray, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 9:51 a.m.

This is a great example of how a democracy doesn't work. The voice of the people spoke, that should be the end of the discussion.

I'd bet that 10 times as many people were offended by this decision than those that would be offended by a cougar mascot.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 10:08 a.m.

Great article Doug, I agree 100%, the Canyons school board is a complete joke and not worth the money they are paid. We need to vote them all out, every single one of them, not once have they done anything respectable.

• rs7580 LAYTON, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 10:09 a.m.

Great article! I think it is ridiculous too. I mean, why even put Cougars as an option if they were just going to change it anyway? My junior high mascot was the Sun Devil. I remember some parents wanted it changed because it was "satanic". They wanted us to be the Sunbeams. I mean, I really like the primary song, but how embarrassing would it have been to have our Sunbeam mascot prancing around at the basketball games? Thank goodness the school held their ground. They are still, 18 years later, the Sun Devils. They obviously have more sense than the Canyon school district.

• flyboy53 HERRIMAN, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 10:11 a.m.

School board members ARE politicians, at the PeeWee League level--that's where many State and national politicians got their starts. Cut them off now, before they start believing in themselves.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." (Einstein, I think)

• Woodyff Mapleton, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 10:17 a.m.

If this wasn't true it would be hilarious! This is what is wrong with education today. One thing the author forgot to mention is that the school board must have been thinking that it would encourage the female teachers to have relations with the students. The parents in this district should begin to organize and vote these people off the board and find people who have real concerns about education.

• Munk Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 10:18 a.m.

This sensitivity garbage has gotten way out of hand. This is not only idiotic on the highest level it also defies common sense on every level. Well.. let it be said here... I find Canyons highly offensive as it reminds me of an adult star of the 80s and can allude to like things.... expect to hear from my lawyers.

• wardu Fallon, NV
    Jan. 24, 2012 10:21 a.m.

Hopefully the board will be voted out of office when elections come up again.

• OnlyInUtah Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 11:16 a.m.

The school board is offensive to me.

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    Jan. 24, 2012 11:24 a.m.

And how does this incident differ from the majority of people in California voting on a referendum which is now over turned by a single judge (not a panel of judges -- just a single judge)? We all can see the idiocy of this situation, but clearly there are many who fail to see the broader application.

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 11:28 a.m.

What are all you proper folks doing watching such sludge on TV anyway? See, it does corrupt you! Turns your brain to mush. Forces you to make STUPID jugements and decisions. Oooops. Sorry. Hope I didn't offend someone by saying STUPID...

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Jan. 24, 2012 11:35 a.m.

This is hilarious stuff...Nice...to see such a humerous perspective...but I just have to add... Well...however humerous we might find this... there happens to be more than just a few older women on LDS single websites who are not abashed at stating their obvious interest in younger men...especially when explaining what they are looking for in a companion. As that list grows the age limit shrinks proportionatly as to who could possibly qualify. Even Superman would occasionally fall short of some women's expectations.

• lds4gaymarriage Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 11:38 a.m.

Isn't a charger the thing I plug my cell phone into? I wonder if the school will be a wall or car charger.

Isn't a charger someone who uses a credit card? In that case, being a charger isn't really something to be lauded.

Isn't a Charger a model of car made by Dodge? Those were muscle cars and aren't very green and therefore not politically correct. That's MUCH worse than "Cougar". A Cougar is a woman who isn't saddled by male dominated stereotypes. She is someone who knows what she wants and goes after it. She is making her own choices. She is independent, confident, has high self esteem...all things that everyone, especially girls bombarded by societal images that lead to poor body image and low self esteem and harmful behaviors like bulimia and anorexia. A Cougar is therefore MUCH more politically correct than a greenhouse gas spewing symbol of male power and dominance.

Someone should tell the school board.

(snicker snicker)

• CWEB Orem, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 11:52 a.m.

A Cougar is a wild animal...I'd never even "heard" of the other explanation. What world do these people live in?

Easy answer, fire the entire board, and hire some reasonable, level-headed people. Who wants their children in a school like this anyway?

World! Wake up! Please. Stop the lunacy!!!!

• CaptainMidnight Saint George, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 11:55 a.m.

Yet another reason to continue the exodus to a charter school system. This bunch of overpaid under skilled administrators would be better served by keeping their focus on implementing more effective curriculum and more focused educator development. It's time for caring parents everywhere to rise up and call for an end to this type of bureaucratic educational despotism.

• South Mountain Draper, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 12:23 p.m.

It is confirmed that the "real" reason for the boards overreach was the Mini-BYU comparison. I have emailed both Principal Bailey and the district, and their response was the blue color and Cougar was too close to Brigham Young. As a father of children who voted, I find this to be incredibly thin-skinned and shallow.

I have a nephew who plays football for the Uintah Utes (red as one of its colors), while at the same time is a fanatic BYU fan. He is still quite proud to be a *UINTAH* Ute.

I think the board ought to reconsider and honor the students they serve. The whole exercise was the boards idea in the first place. Restore the wishes of our kids and show them that the very spirit of participation and inclusion matters.

• Lost in Saint George St George, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 12:26 p.m.

Sounds a lot like the selection of the Dixie State "Red Storm" The school board selected this name on their own, ignoring the voice and votes of the students and the community.

The "Dixie State Rebels," (their former mascot as a junior college,) although correct for UNLV and many others, was deemed offensive. I once lived in Texas and was in the path of a "red storm" (tornado). With the damage it caused, now that's offensive.

• Parry is a Farce Layton, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 12:40 p.m.

I light of this, I think BYU should dump Cosmo and see if Demi Moore will come be the new mascot.

• South Mountain Draper, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 12:41 p.m.

My 5-year-old overheard my wife and I talking about the "charger" school board overreach. He asked me where his was (he was holding his battery drained Nintendo DS).

Look, I like "Charger" for a mascot. I think the board should rethink their example of inclusion, democracy and participation.

Go Corner Canyon Cougars!

• Rufio Saratoga, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 12:56 p.m.

"Celtics The Celts might take offense for being represented by a mascot who looks like he escaped from a box of Lucky Charms.

Angels Religious overtones; we can't have that.

Sun Devils/Red Devils/Blue Devils Satanic worship?"

I would the ACLU would have all these on their list - all are religious and sponsored by a government....tsk, tsk.

• BigAlvin COLORADO SPRINGS, CO
    Jan. 24, 2012 1:03 p.m.

Pssst! Don't anyone tell Manti's school board what a "Templar" really is.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 2:00 p.m.

Well said

Cougar, offensive?

I better change my name too

The school board's existence is offensive.

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Jan. 24, 2012 2:07 p.m.

The Beaver Beavers, and Morgan Trojans are now looking for new names. The Wasatch and Juab Wasps (look it up) are in trouble too! Bountiful Braves? Cedar Redmen? Uintah Utes? Oh my! AF Cavemen? Geico is going to sue! Knights, Templars, Spartans? lots of gory history associated with these names.

Beetdiggers, Farmers, Pioneers, Bees, Miners. Too old and historical for me. We need to update some team names in this state. How about Jordan Rivers, Box Elder Bugs, Lehi Mills, Wasatch Backs, Cedar Trees, Uintah Golfs, Beaver Dams!, Morgan Freemen, etc...

Anyone?

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Jan. 24, 2012 2:12 p.m.

Oakland University in Michigan also has the Cougars as a mascot.

There are lots of team mascots that are without question truly offensive. This is not a case of such. This school district would have never allowed my high school mascot, the stallion.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Jan. 24, 2012 2:16 p.m.

John the Baptist's head was brought on a charger. Is this the mascot we want?

• CBAX Provo, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 2:18 p.m.

Well written!

Insightful and a good chuckle.

Thanks for making my day!

Over and out

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Jan. 24, 2012 2:18 p.m.

The Pale Faces would only make sense with a slightly different term than Indians. Wouldn't the cross-town opponants of the Indians be the Pakistanis?

A high school near mine had the marauders as their mascot. That seems a way to glorify law breaking.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Jan. 24, 2012 2:24 p.m.

It is not the parents but all the voting residents of the school district who are responsible for who is on the school board. The non-voting residents are responsible by default, in that they do not care enough. Public schools exist because it is in the community's best interest to educate the next generation.

• billybubba South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 2:34 p.m.

Why has not anybody come in with the A.H. Sugar Daddys vs the C.C. Cougars

• Kevin Cromar Sandy, Utah
    Jan. 24, 2012 2:45 p.m.

Doug you are correct Corner Canyon Chargers is not strictly alliterative. My mistake. The point I was making was "chargers" starts with the letter "c" and would work well with Corner Canyon, as opposed to mountain lions, diamondbacks, falcons, raptors. The fact of the matter the media didn't do their homework. None of the Board discussions included the the sexual meaning of cougars. I had never heard of that meaning or the show Cougar Town. The main concern was the BYU/Utah rivalry. With the selected colors like BYU and a mascot like BYU, students could be divided with this rivalry. We wanted to select something that united the community, not divide it. I frequently wear my BYU tie to Board meetings; having received two BYU degrees. I am sorry that the media characterized the issue incorrectly. It is unfortunate that the media didn't cover more important items on our agenda that evening like the rollout of a major, innovative middle school curriculum proposal. Here is an alliteration for you-- mostly, mindless media (including Cougar Town). BTW shouldn't it be 'Cougars' are offensive? Who knew? Mark Twain actually said, "God created idiots...then school boards, then created the media."

• Prep Fan 89 Draper, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 3:03 p.m.

Kevin,

I am a resident of Draper, Utah and my kids will be attending the new high school. If you guys were so concerned about these issues, then why was "Cougars" even put on the ballot? The bottom line is, you guys did not do your homework on this one. As a resident of the school, I am going to rally some of the other upset parents and demand that you guys re-visit the issue. It is one thing to have come out with ridiculous excuses as to why you guys didn't want Cougar even though you had it on the ballot to begin with - but it is entirely another matter when you involve innocent kids and make them feel like their vote matters - only to squash it right in their faces and choose something that the VAST minority wanted. Do the right thing for kids, not what all of you think is best. If you didn't want kids input, then you shouldn't have asked for it.

• Gemimi Bakersfield, CA
    Jan. 24, 2012 3:15 p.m.

Kevin Cromar, did you take grammar while at the "Y"? We learned to paragraph-space when I attended ('70-'73). Just wondering if you could help reading your comments by using punctuation as you would on a term paper. That's non-offensive, isn't it?

What I'd be more concerned with than all 4 pages of comments here, (cute as they were), is why Utah, Idaho and your four other Inter-Mountain states continue to lead the nation in teen suicides and depression?

Do you look at the national report card on health and social issues? You've been leading since the late '80's. That's enough for us to keep our kids in the nutty state that's called every derogatory name. At least we'd be addressing the high rate of suicide with all professionals and not having angst over minutia.

23 of my Mormon family members teach in Utah or Idaho, 2 are BYU profs, 3 politicians who you would recognize. Please get back to reality and the truly offensive things we can all agree need fixing.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 3:24 p.m.

And we wonder why young people have no faith in their government (and adults). Think about that lesson Canyon School Board or is that what was really wanted?

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 3:38 p.m.

Kevin,

Here's the issue to me that you don't get. You pretended to give the students a voice. That voice was quashed by a small minority of seven school board members. I think the bigger lesson isn't whether the school's mascot is the Charger or Cougar or whatever. It's that you taught a valuable but wrong lesson. That someone's vote doesn't really matter. You also taught that kids can't be trusted on the simplest things like voting for a school mascot given four reasonable choices. The damage you have Kevin being serious here (and I loved the article, it cracked me up) is much more significant than you think.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 4:19 p.m.

Don't tell anyone at Kearns High School.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 4:26 p.m.

per Max-was-right 1:57 a.m. Jan. 24, 2012

Now, a name change is wrong? You must have missed all the byu fans dog piling after a similar article from this publication about a possible mascot change at the U.

per RevK 5:55 a.m. Jan. 24, 2012

You forgot Nudge Nudge.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 4:32 p.m.

re: Gemimi 3:15 p.m. Jan. 24, 2012

There are many people who use 1 really long paragraph in posting online not just BYU grads.

FWIW; I am a graduate of the University of. I must not be feeling well?

That being said, its more typical of (but not exclusive to) conservatives to nitpick on emotional wedge issues rather than attempt to solve any thing of substance.

Why should a school board be any different than Washington DC?

• JayDee West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 4:34 p.m.

Dear Mr. Cromar,

Mr. Robinson (or more likely the headline writer) is correct. The word "Cougars" (because it is in quotes) in the headline functions as a singular item. It is understood as: [The name] "Cougars" is offensive?, not that cougars (multiple feline animals) are offensive.

Unfortunately, I think even less of the school board as a whole after reading your response.

As a teacher in Jordan District, I've been occasionally miffed and even jealous of some of the things happening in the Canyon District. What was I thinking?

• Wanda Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 5:07 p.m.

The Whole Bunch of these Idiots should be fired. Your Tax $'s at work. We should all be proud.

• A_Zion_State_O'Mind FAIR OAKS, CA
    Jan. 24, 2012 5:11 p.m.

Me thinks the board doth protest too much, just saying what's the age of these simpletons?

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 5:16 p.m.

George carlin pointed it out time and again. The words we find 'offensive' are so only if we let them be, and there is no reason behind any of it.

• MountainUte Sandy, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 5:33 p.m.

The female members of the Canyons District Board who are so aware of colloquial implication of the word "cougar" must be aware of the significance of the words "charger" and "horse" as they imply reference to the male anatomy.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Jan. 24, 2012 5:40 p.m.

OK. I can see one nut-case out of seven board members finding offense to the name "Cougar. . . .," But a majority of the school board voted in favor of this? That is what is astounding! You can't even find a single post here defending their decision. How can there be such a blatant lack of reason in a body of seven supposedly reasonable people?

I suspect the School Board cowered to some unstable individual's threat of a lawsuit. That is the only way this makes any sense, whatsoever.

• millercarlita RIVERTON, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 5:52 p.m.

It's nothing new - they did this to Dixie a few years ago. Gave the students a choice - Rebels or a new mascot. Students chose Rebels. School officials (aka "adults") choose Red Storm (which is...what? The mascot turned out to be a "bullnado").

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Jan. 24, 2012 6:02 p.m.

@Parry is a Farce

Naaahhh GI Jane just doesn't make if for any team's mascot

• hermounts Pleasanton, CA
    Jan. 24, 2012 7:01 p.m.

It is legitimate to take offense at people calling middle-aged women "cougars." But it is just silly to say that because the word is misused that way, it can't be used (for the umpteenth time) as the name of a school mascot. Blame whoever coined the slang usage of "cougar," don't blame the kids!

• MR Draper, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 7:34 p.m.

Draper Diamondbacks

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Jan. 24, 2012 7:35 p.m.

How about Crackers?

• flatlander Omaha, NE
    Jan. 24, 2012 7:56 p.m.

Charger? Isn't that something cougars plug things into when they can't find what they want?

• LifeLibertyHappiness Draper, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 8:43 p.m.

I wonder if the school board is reading all these comments and can see NO ONE is offended by the name Cougar and EVERYONE thinks the issue is ridiculous. There is no leadership in the school district. They are scared robots that can only follow the ridiculous policy of, "Let's cave in every time there is an issue to the person who screams the loudest and then spin it so we look like we are the champion of the one." No ability to think or handle problems in a rational way as demonstrated in the Alta High incident. To quote Doug, "Sheesh, why did they ask?" It really boiled down to one person who didn't like the name and couldn't get her way, started a petition pretending to promote unity, probably threatened legal action and everyone caves. Then, the board tries to put a spin on it about how it was the right thing to do. Silly is a great description of the whole thing.

• norskie Lake Orion, MI
    Jan. 24, 2012 9:30 p.m.

I am sure I must be offended by the use of "Vikings" as a team mascot. But don't worry. I am equally sure that some reparation payments will assuage my feelings.

• JRJ Pocatello, ID
    Jan. 24, 2012 9:59 p.m.

To 'Hard to beieve' - Not to mention that John the Baptist, being Jesus' cousin, now makes Charger a religious reference. There, problem solved. You can't use it because we all know that having a religious reference is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse than a reference to a middle-aged woman with no sense. So, folks, what is left - The Insurance Salespersons? School colors? Anyone object to brown?

• UtahUte16 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 10:56 p.m.

Why couldn't they just say they didn't want to be subjected to the innuendo that would surely come along with the name? Everyone would have understood.

• Robbie512 PROVO, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 11:55 p.m.

Biggest mistake was putting a non-option on the list. Also, a Vandal is basically the same thing as a Viking, but with a much cooler name. (It actually comes from the name of a Germanic tribe, like the Franks, Saxons, etc., and, yes, the other meaning derives from this.)

• Backtothebasics Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 25, 2012 12:08 a.m.

Leave it to Canyons School District...I think they like their name to be in the media so they come up with WHATEVER will get them there.

• sticks17 Midway, UT
    Jan. 25, 2012 7:03 a.m.

One of the best articles that I have ever read! These people needed to be taken to task over this absolute nonsense and Doug did a great job of letting them know exactly how way off base this school board is! What goes through your head on a decsion like this?
    I do agree with other posters that his article would have not made it in the comments section...what a shame.

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 25, 2012 7:11 a.m.

Oh sure. Blame it on the Utes. No other faction could possibly make the cougar name dirty. Silly argument. Just call them the Draper Bobcats or Kitties, Kittens or other form of felines.

• Reader Sandy, UT
    Jan. 25, 2012 7:41 a.m.

I have not been impressed with many of the decisions the Canyons Board of Education have made. They are building a new high school which is too small to house the high school kids who live in Draper (which means by the time it opens it probably will be too small for the proposed student body)and now this idiocy regarding the mascot name. I think they knew the name they wanted from the beginning, so why did they even ask the kids to vote? This district is not receiving one more penny from me until I see some changes in the quality of the boards DES vision- making.

• D Van Duker Syracuse, UT
    Jan. 25, 2012 9:03 a.m.

So...some interesting questions that should be asked:

--Just how many middle-aged women is the School Board expecting to enroll at Caynon High?

--Other that the imperial decree from the school board, were there any ACTUAL complaints related to the proposed name by anyone that is NOT a overly PC government official?

--What civics lesson is being taught when a input is solicited, balloting is held; and, then a few bureaucrats issue a degree--not only invalidating the #1 choose, but also the #2-#10 choices in favor of a name selected EXCLUSIVELY the buracucracy?

--Might not an official statement asserting the position that the name Couger is patently offensive be considered in an of itself to be offensive to all BYU students and alumni? Sort of a statement indicating that the School Board believes the public is so ignorant and crass, it requires those of better breeding, intellectual grasp; with a more matured sensitivity and sensibility to over-ride destructive behaivors and decisions. Sort of how a parent corrects or over-rides the immature decisions of a child.

I think that is is obvious the people of this school district elected the kind of government they deserve.

• TexasMom Flower Mound, TX
    Jan. 25, 2012 10:53 a.m.

I wonder what their school board would think of our high school mascot: a Marauder. Definition: to roam or go around in quest of plunder; make a raid for booty. We even get a good laugh out of it!

• Frank Staheli Santaquin, ut
    Jan. 25, 2012 12:03 p.m.

The high school canNOT be serious about changing the name "Cougars". It sounds like someone escaped from the movie Footloose and has taken control of the school. I wish I'd never heard of this. Someone once told me the sexual derivation of a phrase in common everyday usage, and I thought to myself "I could have gone my whole life not knowing that and have been much better off."

• I Choose Freedom Atlanta, GA
    Jan. 25, 2012 12:31 p.m.

Wow! Obviously the school board is comprised of former government school students. They need a few former home school students. Heck, current home school students would be a big improvement.

Is there not someone out there that can overrule such nonsense?

• SLCAttorney Sandy, UT
    Jan. 25, 2012 5:28 p.m.

The Canyons School appears to be a "perfect storm" of assembled incompetence.

If you took a survey of the top 300 socially insensitive words in our society, "cougars" would not even make the list! Would it even make the top 500? How out of touch can you be?

Here's a few other symptoms of the "tone deaf" board:

They sent out 4500 postcards to gather the students votes for the mascot--this wasn't done in class. How much did that cost? What are the students feelings about the democratic process now?

Superintendent "Dr." David S. Doty (I am a lawyer, I'm not forcing anyone to call me "Dr.") has remodeled his office TWICE--not just changing furniture, but moving walls and insisting on the installation of bulletproof glass. Now, after the double-remodel, he wants to move into another building.

The Board, which contains several lawyers, thoroughly botched the handling of the supposed "Alta high school racial incident" both at the time it happened and in a subsequent lawsuit from aggrieved vice principal Mark Montague resulting in the district being forced into settlement.

The new draper high school had set aside a piece of campus land for a seminary building. The use of the land was challenged by a small, local pseudo-religion that never had any intention of building a religious instruction center, nor could it ever have had any enrollment. So the board decided "therefore nobody can use it (meaning BUY it)" and now the new seminary building is going to have to be in a residential home across the street.

I could go on and on -- somebody please look under the hood of this runaway vehicle and clean house!

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    Jan. 25, 2012 10:07 p.m.

After reading all these posts, with which I agree, one of the craziest things the board did was sending out those 4500 postcards. That left an obvious paper trail of poor example being displayed for everyone to see. WOW! I am blown away by this school board story proving that common sense was voted out before they ever had their first meeting.

• Post Game LOGAN, UT
    Jan. 28, 2012 10:30 a.m.

I can see the mascot now - a team of Clydesdale "chargers" pulling the Budweiser wagon.