U.S. & World

Rick Santorum-backing pastor plays the 'Mormon cult' card

Comments

• xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    Jan. 20, 2012 7:02 p.m.

Now Santorum is finished. And has possibly ruined his chances for the VP position.

• O'really Idaho Falls, ID
    Jan. 20, 2012 7:04 p.m.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    Jan. 20, 2012 7:09 p.m.

None but God can say who is Christian and who is not.
    I wish that people like Rev. Huey Mills would stop playing God.

Judge not...

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 7:31 p.m.

who cares? who is Huey Mills? no one cares and this is his 15 minutes of glory. it will only get worse if obama runs against him. bigots still thrive in this country.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Jan. 20, 2012 8:15 p.m.

Huey Mills just proved he is not a Christian.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 8:26 p.m.

Mr. Mills, what thinkest thou of Mr. Santorum's Catholic faith?

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 8:30 p.m.

@O'really

""hemophilia" Is that a misprint? Hemophilia is a blood-clotting disease. If the pastor really said that...oh my! He sounds like another kook on the loose."

He actually said 'Homophilia' but just to be safe and make sure you are a 'REAL' Christian, you should probably hate hemophiliacs AND homophiliacs. I'm pretty sure it says so in Galatians or Deuteronomy or The Acts or something (in Huey's Bible.) At any rate, I'm sure Huey Mills is spot on. His brand of Christianity is a religion all its own and I'm thankful to not be associated with it in any way shape or form.

Of course, Rick Santorum won't have the courage to call this guy for what he is. Santorum, like Perry, like Huckabee, will go silent instead of taking a stand against him. Pathetic.

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    Jan. 20, 2012 9:06 p.m.

How strange it all is: it is like the pot calling the kettle black. The Mormons go bananas when others challenge their Christianity and refer to Mormons as a cult; but at the same time Mormons send thousands of missionaries around the world to declare that the Mormon church is the only true church and all the other churches are fales. Which is worse, a cult or a fake.

• crunchem Cedar City, Utah
    Jan. 20, 2012 9:38 p.m.

@skeptic Huh? How about which is worse, an apple or a banana? About as irrelevant as your comparison.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 9:43 p.m.

I can't believe a complete bigot like Santorum has been able to get this far.

• crunchem Cedar City, Utah
    Jan. 20, 2012 9:43 p.m.

for the record, Mormon missionaries aren't running around calling other churches a pejorative term such as "cult". They are, however, trying to teach others that, in their opinion, the others' religions are partly true, partly false, whatever. You can believe 'em or not, it doesn't matter. It's a completely different non-attacking mindset, which is why I disagree with your premise.

• Jim Mesa, Az
    Jan. 20, 2012 9:49 p.m.

When I played sport, I was taught to always play the ball and not the man. It sickens me to see people either side of the political fence continue to play the man. Surely there is an intelligent person out there who can attack polices and direction. It isn't November yet and already this is getting tired. This is going to be a long long long year.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 9:50 p.m.

As someone who is active LDS, the best way I know how to respond to this is article is with a polite yawn.

• On the other hand Spanish Fork, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 10:23 p.m.

@Go Big Blue, Santorum's not the bigot. He doesn't even belong to the same religion as Rev. Mills. Heck, Santorum even endorsed Romney in 2008.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 10:45 p.m.

I can't take evangelicals serious. First, how could any supposed evangelical consider voting for Gingrich after he espouses "family values" and spent time railing out President Clinton for his sexual indiscretions while engaged in his own. Cheating on your spouse and then marrying the person you cheated on is something that most evangelicals frown upon. Right?

Now it looks like Huntsman was really the best (R) candidate. He didn't invest in offshore investments, cheat on his wife, have strange views on contraception or say it was okay for Iran to build a nuke. He actually made sense, no wonder that he didn't stand a chance...

• eagle651 Chino Valley, AZ
    Jan. 20, 2012 11:06 p.m.

Can't help but notice that all this bigotry comes from Ministers and Pastors.

The LDS Church stands for high quality Christlike standards that does not include hate.

Jesus taught about the evils of hatred, but not to hate.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Jan. 21, 2012 12:12 a.m.

Why do Utah Mormons insist on belonging to a group who hates us so?!

Republican and/or these so-called Christians?

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Jan. 21, 2012 12:16 a.m.

Are we going to drag this mess around the yard again?

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Jan. 21, 2012 1:25 a.m.

After taking LDS help after Katrina, we're called a non-Christian cult?

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Jan. 21, 2012 5:45 a.m.

Listen, I have heard plenty of members, and seen people hear on these pages write or say things that were not flattering toward other religions. Things like leaders of other faiths are in it just for the money. Most rational people dismiss these comments as being driven by ignorance. Likewise, rational people also view these comments by anti-mormon people as being driven by ignorance.

So what, what some pastor said means nothing. We had the idiot pastor in Florida who got himself national headlines, and yet he represented a church of a handful of people. Or the whack job pastor in Kansas that has his followers picketing the funerals of service men who died in combat. There are enough idiots out there to have headlines everyday.

I wish the DN would stop feeding members paranoia. We have our fair share of nut jobs in our church too.

• Iron Rod Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 21, 2012 6:25 a.m.

Perhaps I haven't been listening but I don't believe I have heard any national officials from the Republican party condemn any of these "Anti Mormon" comments.

Have you heard from the head of the RNC (Republican National Committee) or even our own Senators and Representatives condemn these statements?

Would their reactions be different if people were attacking another candidate simply because he was Jewish or Catholic or Baptists? What is the difference?

It seems to me that if Romney were not LDS he would be the candidate of choice in the Evangelical belt rather than the currently endorsed candidate.

I honest believe we need to reevaluate our blind loyalty to the Republican party because our support is taken for granted.

• The Dixie Kid Saint George, UT
    Jan. 21, 2012 6:28 a.m.

Santorum already defended Mormonism. Back when Perrys pastor called it a cult, Santorum was the only candidate who said that it was not a cult. He said he has a lot of Mormon friends, and feels that they are Christian. They should have put that in the article, instead if ruining Santorums reputation.

• lib1 Provo, UT
    Jan. 21, 2012 6:38 a.m.

Not often you see someone loudly and proudly declaring they are "homophobic." Who could take anything else this guy says seriously?

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    Jan. 21, 2012 6:42 a.m.

Evangelicals are scared to death of Romney. His selection would give credibility to a religion they openly despise. Attacks against Romney's religion are going to help, not hinder his campaign.

• SL Rexburg, ID
    Jan. 21, 2012 7:07 a.m.

Santorum or Gingrich simply cannot win in a general election. They just can't, folks. Romney has the best chance, and even then it isn't a great chance. I think I represent most independent voters when I say that if Newt or Santorum get the nomination, I am voting for Obama.

Maybe to be a good Christian, like this pastor says, I should just hate everyone. Then I don't run the risk of accidentally loving the wrong kind of people.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Jan. 21, 2012 7:10 a.m.

Well I think Mitt is in good compay...I'm sure the Sadduces and the Pharasee's considered Chrit's following something of a cult...as well as did the Romans while feeding thier pet Lions. Todays it's always pastors and ministers usually after experiencing a hit in thier pocketbooks when seeing thier paying parishners leave for any variety of reasons for dissatisfaction...so they blame it on the Mormons... The all mighty dollar still speaks very loudly...especially when it's leaving.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Jan. 21, 2012 7:11 a.m.

"Blessed are ye when men shall revile you and persecute you, and say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad; for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you". Thus said the God that Mormons worship. Therefore who cares what others say or do against us?

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Jan. 21, 2012 7:24 a.m.

And there you go, bigotry is alive and well. I wonder how this guy feels about Jews or maybe even people with a different skin color.

Nice job Republicans, turns out you are motivated by illogical hatred.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Jan. 21, 2012 7:25 a.m.

And yet Mormons keep getting into bed with these right wing conservatives and allow themselves to be used. Why?

• N.C.Y. Iowa City, IA
    Jan. 21, 2012 7:26 a.m.

This man may want to rethink his "christianity".

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Jan. 21, 2012 7:28 a.m.

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    Jan. 21, 2012 8:21 a.m.

%worf; You state: After taking LDS help after Katrina, we're called a non-Christian cult?

Charity is supposed to be an act of a good heart of godly love, not a ledger for pay backs. If you give charity with a mind set of gaining something in return then that is a trade. It is not good custom to weep over poor trades. Just don't do the trading, it is voluntary.

• Mark Voorhies LUBBOCK, TX
    Jan. 21, 2012 8:34 a.m.

It is amazing that people like this would vote for someone that spent 12 years cheating on his wife, and lying to the public. Reminds me of the money changers.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 21, 2012 8:41 a.m.

@Where's Stockton?

"Well Done Jefferey Holland... The 4 thousand A.D. council convention that created the Nicene creed stops these guy's dead in thier tracks every time. Ole Constantine knew what he was doing. Politics and Religion didn't go together well in those days either. "

So you're responding to charges of being a cult... by attacking the Catholic church.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Jan. 21, 2012 8:41 a.m.

This guy is somewhat akin to Obamas hero the Rev. Wright. We should pose this question to Jon Huntsman who is not sure he is a Mormon.

• Springvillepoet Springville, UT
    Jan. 21, 2012 8:54 a.m.

I guess when you are the kind to call Islam a cult, the only thing stopping you from calling Judaism a cult is the fact that Jesus was Jewish.

• barbara Carlsbad, CA
    Jan. 21, 2012 9:34 a.m.

Such divisive commentary, people! This reminds me of the impossible task of cleaning the Augean stables. There was so much dung from the divine cattle that it seemed impossible for anyone to thoroughly get rid of it all. Politics, dear friends, has ever been thus, will always be thus and even the most devout optimist will never find a pony in this pile. Heracles is merely a myth.

• nottyou Riverton, UT
    Jan. 21, 2012 9:36 a.m.

Who really gives a flying freak about this guy's opinion? Evidently, I'm a member of several cults...I'm LDS, I'm a member of Costco, etc.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Jan. 21, 2012 9:42 a.m.

I just want to thank the leaders of the LDS church for staying out of political races and never telling we members who we should vote for or not vote for. I also want to thank the local church leaders and members who never discuss this over the pulpit, I am grateful that I can go to church and not have my church get into politics. But I am also grateful to learn values from my church to give me a free thinking mind to make the choices that I feel are correct.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Jan. 21, 2012 10:24 a.m.

@Neil T

"Attacks against Romney's religion are going to help, not hinder his campaign."

I would like to believe that, but I'm afraid the voters of South Carolina are proving otherwise. Having dealt with many 'born-again' Christians, I can see the tactics that some ministers use with their congregations. I honestly believe many of them would rather sacrifice the country than allow a Mormon to become president.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    Jan. 21, 2012 10:33 a.m.

@skeptic

No, Mormon missionaries do not travel the world to tell people that their religion is false.
    Mormon Missionaries gratefully proclaim that God has spoken in our day. He has called a Prophet and given us more of His word. He has restored his priesthood authority. God has restored His ancient religion complete with Apostles and Prophets.

No, we do not go around telling people that they are wrong.
    We are like the lantern salesman who never makes an unkind comment about another lantern. We just show them our lantern and the brilliant light that shines therefrom. There is no need to make derogatory comments about other religions. Truth is self evident.

Most anti-Mormons spend their time trying to blow out our light (good luck with that), telling people not to look at our light; or if they should accidentally see the light they tell them it really does not exist.

Pathetic!

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington, DC
    Jan. 21, 2012 10:45 a.m.

Santorum, Romney and Ginrich are all globalist Devils. Any free society with a shred of common sense would run them out of the country with sticks and stones.

• David King Layton, UT
    Jan. 21, 2012 10:50 a.m.

There will always be people who believe Mormons are a cult.
    There will always be people who believe Obama is a Muslim.
    There will always be people who believe Nickleback is the greatest band of all time.

Should we pay attention to them, after a mountain of evidence proves to the contrary?

Or do we give into sensationalism, broadcasting far and wide whenever any Tom, Dick, or Harry makes such a statement?

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 21, 2012 10:59 a.m.

@The Rock
    "Mormon missionaries do not travel the world to tell people that their religion is false."

It's implied. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to attack them for it since I don't think it's inherently a problem (most churches believe they have more truth than others, otherwise why would they exist?). The simple fact is if you believe your church is the most true, you by definition believe that the others have at least something false. The fact that people feel the need to bring others to a church that is more true requires them to believe the prospective converts' current faith (or lack thereof) is inadequate. It's also why I would've made a terrible missionary (despite the assertions of others) because I just don't care what denomination someone belongs to.

The fact is the LDS church believes you need certain ordinances with proper authority to reach the highest levels of heaven. That believe directly requires the notion that other churches are inadequate. That's okay and there are polite ways to go about that fact which from my experience at least most members/missionaries do so. Some don't.

• donn layton, UT
    Jan. 21, 2012 11:01 a.m.

RE: The Rock, No, Mormon missionaries do not travel the world to tell people that their religion is false premise.
    JS ,all their creeds were an abomination in his sight ;that those professors were all corrupt..(JS History 1:19).

The Christian response to Mormonism should beye should earnestly CONTEND for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.(Jude 1:3)

• Midwest Mom Soldiers Grove, WI
    Jan. 21, 2012 11:38 a.m.

The question is, are Utahns so wedded to being Republicans that they will vote the GOP ticket, no matter who is on the ballot?

• CougarKeith Roy, UT
    Jan. 21, 2012 12:27 p.m.

It's wonderful how "Evangelical" preachers just get away with calling a member of the "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" a member of a cult when the name itself speaks of "JESUS CHRIST". Yet at the same time they are "Ev-Angel-Icals"? Break it up they follow the belief in ANGELS, nowhere does it mention Jesus Christ in the name of the Believers, and if so insinuates Jesus is nothing more than an "ANGEL"? This is the view anyone could easily take. Yet at the same time members of the Church of Jesus Christ follow the LAW OF THE LAND and allow people to worship God according to the dictates of their conscience without CONDEMNING other faiths. How is this even a case in point? If I were Mitt I would say, "I find it sad that Rick, or Newt, or Ron's followers would make this an issue at all. From my followers you hear silence simply because members of the Church of Jesus Christ of LDS, which I belong follow the Constitution, which Allow all people to Worship God according to the dictates of their own Conscience, that is the stand I'll keep!" Leave it there.

• Trooper55 Williams, AZ
    Jan. 21, 2012 2:14 p.m.

I don't care one bit what a person relgion is all I care about is can the man do the job. That is why I say they should keep church and state sepearte, a pastor needs to minister to his flock and stay out of polictial matters. Come election time I will vote for the person I believe can do the best job and that willn't be Obama. I hope Mitt Rommel is in the running I just may vote for him.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Jan. 21, 2012 2:43 p.m.

@ midwest mom Madam I sure hope so because there was many on the other side who did the same which got us Obama and if it holds true maybe again. Yikes

• donn layton, UT
    Jan. 21, 2012 2:58 p.m.

CougarKeith, Yet at the same time they are "Ev-Angel-Icals"? Break it up they follow the belief in ANGELS, nowhere does it mention Jesus Christ??

Evangelical=(Greek,Euaggelion,2098)Good message. Gospel=Latin,to mid-13c English,KJV. JS was unaware.

See (John 3:16)The Good(Eu) Message(ag[=n]gelion)is Christ.

The(name) Christian Science religion: not all are scientists and they deny the bodily resurrection of Christ,are they Biblical Christians?

Just because someone has a car in the garage, it does not make him a mechanic

• Ares Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 21, 2012 4:26 p.m.

Ok, people why are you making such a big deal of this?

I'm Mormon, I don't care what people think. Another comment stated it perfectly, if we send missionaries out to try to convert people, why can't we take one insult? It's NOT a big deal people!

It's just someone's opinion, you know, the right that they have to think what they want about something.

Sure, I don't support it, but WHO CARES?! Of course DNews brings this up. I'll be surprised if they post this comment. Utahns are weird. So I guess that makes me weird.

Take an insult with some salt for once in a while and realize there are more people who think worse about the LDS religion.

• bleeding purple Santa Ana, CA
    Jan. 21, 2012 5:58 p.m.

Can't discriminate against people of color, gays, or anyone different than you ... except Mormons. The only group safe to hate. Isn't it 2012?

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    Jan. 21, 2012 8:06 p.m.

%bleedingpurple: You state: Mormons. The only group safe to hate. Isn't it 2012?

There is little reality in what you say. Mormons for the most part are good and outstanding people. Just because others don't believe or accept Mormon religion doesn't mean that they hate Mormons. Just because one doesn't like a superstition doesn't mean one dosen't like the superstitious. However, one may have reason to be cautious of how the superstitious practice their superstition.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Jan. 21, 2012 8:38 p.m.

People should remember that a candidate cannot control what their supporters say, and should not be judged based on what people who support them say, especially when such people are not part of their campaign staff.

This is especially true in this case when Rick Santorum is a Roman Catholic and so does not even have religious unity with this Evangelical Christian supporter.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Jan. 22, 2012 1:26 a.m.

Only God knows who the Christians are. Evangelical ministers are the cults.

• Max Charlotte, NC
    Jan. 22, 2012 4:49 a.m.

When are these people going to grow up and stop the name calling? The "cult" and "non-Christian" flame throwing has run its course guys. The fact is that LDS are not EVANGELICAL Christians but are most certainly Christians (No, Protestants do not have a trademark on Christianity) and if the LDS are a cult so is every other religion. Time to move on.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Jan. 22, 2012 7:23 p.m.

re: eagle651 11:06 p.m. Jan. 20, 2012

What then was all the gum flapping about Prop 8?

If it wasn't hate; it was fear of someone different which IMO is the basis of evangelicals issues w/ the Lds faith.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Jan. 22, 2012 7:26 p.m.

per worf @ 1:26 a.m. Jan. 22, 2012

"Only God knows who the Christians are. Evangelical ministers are the cults."

Either you are greatly assuming or you're God. Which is it?

• RedWings CLEARFIELD, UT
    Jan. 23, 2012 11:57 a.m.

@Wally West: "What then was all the gum flapping about Prop 8?"

This had nothing to do with hate or fear of someone different. It had to do with defending the definition of marriage and, ultimately, protecting religious freedom.

BTW, a recent billboard in the South read: "Don't Pray About the Book of Mormon. That's How They Get You!!"

Really? Telling your congregation NOT to ask God in prayer? That's like saying "Don't believe Jesus, believe me!"

• Disco Vega MoTown, CA
    Jan. 23, 2012 12:52 p.m.

Santorum = Bigot...he just lost my vote and thousands of others...and rightly so. America has no place for bigoty.

• Jeff Temple City, CA
    Jan. 23, 2012 1:55 p.m.

Skeptic says that "There is little reality in" suggesting that people hate Mormons. Then s/he adds, "Just because others don't believe or accept Mormon religion doesn't mean that they hate Mormons."

I agree with this, so far as it goes, but skeptic goes on:

"Just because one doesn't like a superstition doesn't mean one dosen't like the superstitious. However, one may have reason to be cautious of how the superstitious practice their superstition."

Can you understand why, given the way you openly characterize our beliefs, and given the way you continually demean them publicly, that we might think you fall into the category of someone who is willing to publicly hate us?

Part of polite discourse may involve leaving some of your opinions unsaid.

• lds4gaymarriage Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 23, 2012 2:57 p.m.

I wish the anti-LDS ministers would quiz their own congregants asking them which statement they believe - One from the Creeds or one from the Gospel Principles manual on the Godhead. No references, just the statements. I bet the vast majority would reject the Creeds. I have yet to have anyone explain them in a way that doesn't contradict other creedal statements while still adhering to the rules of logic.

I wish the good pastor would explain how Jesus is "eternally begotten" and how the Holy Ghost "proceeds from the Father" and what the difference is...and how such comments comply with the Creedal ideas of all 3 being co-eternal, equal in power and authority, etc.. while rejecting Tritheism.

The Bible is the biggest anti-Creedal document ever printed.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Jan. 23, 2012 3:56 p.m.

"Let me paraphrase the above the way I understand it: "You Mormons are nice people; I don't hate you; I just think you're religion is stupid and I'm willing to write that; I don't want to keep my private feeling about how stupid Mormons are quiet; I don't want to be polite about it; I don't hate them; I just think they're superstitious [ie, stupid], and that's not hate, is it?""

So let me understand.... I do have many friends that are Muslims. I do not believe in the Muslim faith, and I really don't like what some have done in name of that faith. But I do have many friends that are muslims.

How is that stance anyway confusing Jeff, or contradictory? How is not possible that people like Mormons, but don't like their faith. Most people are much more than just their faith or church they go to on Sundays (or what ever their day of worship is.

For a group ( yes I am generalizing here ) that supposedly hates political correctness, we sure take deep offense when a little of that political correctness is aimed in mormonism's direction.

• sashabill Morgan Hill, CA
    Jan. 24, 2012 10:21 a.m.

Since the term "cult" is seldom (if ever) defined, I am forced to conclude that a cult is pretty much any religion that fundamentalist Protestants don't happen to like.

• LovingMormons Bakersfield, CA
    Jan. 24, 2012 12:07 p.m.

I am 6th generation Mormon, born & raised. I was LDS for 35 years, very happily and committedly so. I had a quite unexpected "born again" experience after a simple prayer of confession and asking the Father to "bring me closer to Jesus". I had no desire to leave the church or hurt my family, but my spiritual life and DNA changed 26 years ago. My LDS family have called me every name in the book, furious that I ascribe to pure Biblical beliefs. I really should write the book, but it would read like all the rest out there.

My husband and I have taught classes, spoken at many churches and had a support group for former Mormons. The main hurt for the exiting Mormon is the shunning and ridicule from his family and LDS friends. Had I not experienced this and seen it replayed every time, I would never have believed that my people could react so.

We teach formers to keep loving their families and only witness their new birth in Christ when asked. We teach non-LDS true LDS doctrines, and we teach Mormons the Biblical definition of a cult: any aberration of the Biblical Christ.

• Uncle Gadianton Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 24, 2012 2:05 p.m.

The Republican Party is making it very clear that they don't want members of the LDS Church.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Jan. 24, 2012 2:56 p.m.

There is no biblical definition of Cult, it is not a Biblical term.

The actions of one pastor somewhere are hardly the actions of "The Republican Party".

In this case it is not Mr. Santorum who is implicated. He is a Catholic. He in no way endorsed the statements of this Evangelical Christian pastor.

I would say that AP should do more to give both sides of the story. If people claim that Mormons despise African Americans, African American Mormons should be given a voice to speak.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 5:57 p.m.

'There is no biblical definition of Cult, it is not a Biblical term.' - John Pack Lambert of Michigan | 2:56 p.m. Jan. 24, 2012

There is in the dictionary.

As, if we defined EVERYTHING as per the bible...

we should be banned from eating shell fish.

Using the bible for a word definition in support of a religious argument...

is like using a comic book, to prove Superman.

• nehimomma Parsons, KS
    Jan. 24, 2012 6:50 p.m.

When people tell me I'm not a Christian, I tell them that is okay, Christ isn't one either, he's Jewish. King of the Jews. Get them every time. What would it be like if someone actually read their bible for a change, instead of just being consumed with the hate that was fed them each week.

As for the Cult comments, technically by th

• nehimomma Parsons, KS
    Jan. 24, 2012 6:51 p.m.

Sorry about that, by their definition the Catholic church is also considered a Cult as well, so these Reverends can spout whatever nonsense they want..it's only for hate, none of it is for good.

• cindyacre Shelley, ID
    Jan. 24, 2012 9:08 p.m.

atl134: Those "ordinances" you refer to are like "doors", like baptism, an avenue, not a guarantee, to get somewhere. What the price to "get there" is faith, (which to Mormons is an action word.) The ordinances "show the way." There were ordinances in Moses time, Adam's time, Christ's time, and now in our time, so ordinances are not anything new. The LDS regard them as sacred avenues, a way lighted by faith in God, and in His promises.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Jan. 25, 2012 7:37 a.m.

From the other paper: "Mark DeMoss has a message for his fellow evangelicals: You cant attack and demean Mormons or President Barack Obama and still consider yourself a follower of Jesus Christ. It is impossible to abide by Pauls admonition to regard others as more important than yourself, DeMoss said...." People speak Christian principles, but they are conditional and rarely lived, even in church.

• M Edwards Heber City, Ut
    Jan. 25, 2012 8:43 a.m.

Haven't we already been thru this before ? Can we please give it a rest. No one is going to change their opinion over another re-hash of the same stuff.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 12:53 p.m.

Please excuse my vengeful heart, but I look forward to sanctimonious Utah Republicans running under the banner of the lech Gingrich, especially after all of the criticism of Clinton a la Lewinsky.