BYU football: Bronco Mendenhall turned down head coach offer

Comments

• Cougar Cindy Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 4:56 p.m.

Thanks for staying Bronco. We love what you're doing.

GO COUGARS!

• Otis Spurlock Ogden, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 4:56 p.m.

Yeah right.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 4:58 p.m.

i thought all job offers went to whit. i guess I was wrong. i just wish bronco was more interesting to listen to.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    Jan. 11, 2012 5:01 p.m.

Everybody loves Roscoe.

I think he turned down the job for 3 reasons:

1) He was told he could no longer produce slogan-themed t-shirts

1) He was told he could no longer wear the frumpy, discolored, slogan t-shirts on the sideline

2) He was told he could no longer have his defense line-up in a 3-point stance on the sideline and sprint out onto the field in Pop Warner-esque fashion

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Jan. 11, 2012 5:02 p.m.

Good choice. Bronco's schtick would only work at BYU.

• JD Tractor Iowa City, IA
    Jan. 11, 2012 5:03 p.m.

I like our chances as long as Mendenhall is our coach!! Nobody better to help the transition into independence.

Go Cougars!

• Portland Trail Blazers Sandy, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 5:03 p.m.

Bronco is a much better coach than Kylie Willingham.

2-4 years, Kylie will be shown door up on the hill.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Jan. 11, 2012 5:10 p.m.

The more I read quotes from Coach Bronco, the more I scratch my head. Yes. I love what he's brought to the BYU Football Program and how he's turned the program around from the woeful Crowton Era. However, for me, his double-speak shtick is running a little old (i.e. the Nelson-Heaps fiasco). So, why do we need to know he actually turned down a head-coaching job elsewhere? I could care less. The only thing I'm casually interested in is which school did he turn down, since he's the one who raised & mentioned the issue in the first place? As much as I like Bronco, I do not think he's the coach who will get the Cougs to the next level, since the "next level" w/ serious BCS consideration, is what Holmoe has publically announced he and the BYU administration want the football program to get to.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 5:10 p.m.

Now watch all the Ute fans call Bronco a liar and saying that he's too embarrassed to say who offered him the job (because they believe it to be some program like Idaho).

• AribaD Spanish Fork, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 5:17 p.m.

Otis, you comment implies the Bronco is not telling the truth. What evidence do you have of that?

• BoiseSuperBlue Twin Falls, ID
    Jan. 11, 2012 5:22 p.m.

Sorry if I am a little skeptical, but I don't think he was offered a head coaching job from a BCS school, especially UCLA. Two reasons:

First, we would have heard about this from other media (impossible to keep coaching searches secret); and

Second, he is clearly not qualified to coach at the next level.

Go Boise!!

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 5:35 p.m.

It would be interesting to see how Bronco would do at a typical school. He's wired a certain way and without the Honor Code to hold the standards together I'm not sure what he'd come up with. He's got a great edge now, but don't see how it would translate. He's a good coach and glad he's here at BYU but his best fit may be here. Whit would do well at BYU using similar standards and techniques, but he seems to be able to apply the standards to non-LDS schools although at Utah, it's much closer to BYU than Ute fans would admit.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 5:35 p.m.

Thanks, Bronco! You're the greatest!

• Archi Mclean, VA
    Jan. 11, 2012 5:37 p.m.

He is preparing us for his departure at the end of next year now that his plan for Jake Heaps to redshirt next year then play 2 more years as a Junior and Senior backfired. He wanted to coach the three years left on his contract out with Nelson and Heaps, but now he is looking to bail sooner rather than later. Just preping everyone. Thanks Bronco. Not.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Jan. 11, 2012 5:38 p.m.

I disagree with trail blazers. I think both Whit and Bronco are very good coaches. They have very different styles. I'm not sure the Friday night devotional would work at UCLA.

I do think that Bronco's effectiveness is more aligned with continuing as a defensive coordinator, which he seems to be very good at. Because of his experience, he seems to be able to manage the HC and DC roles very well.

But speaking of coaches, I do think BYU needs a QB coach. If Doman is going to be successful, he needs to be able to focus on the entire offense. And with the pipeline we have coming, we need someone different who can work the QB's exclusively.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Jan. 11, 2012 5:53 p.m.

So. Cal Reader

I am willing to wager he mentioned it because he was asked it. Have you not watched the fascination with Utah coaches going elsewhere and BYU coaches not being sought after? You are the only person in the world who doesn't care.

Portland Trail Blazers

If that was intended as sarcasm, it fell flat. And if you were serious, pretend it was sarcasm, apologize and don't play for a while. Whit is every bit the right man for Utah right now as Bronco is for BYU. Kyle has the knack for making real time adjustments that significantly alter game outcomes. Remember BYU was close at half-time? Once he masters having his team prepared for the teams they should cream, like Colorado...

Of course, you know what our red rivals would respond to that.

• Quetzalcotl West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 6:12 p.m.

Why leave to play real teams when you can pad your record playing Idaho State and Discount Tires Tech.

• CWEB Orem, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 6:14 p.m.

That is right.

• Brad E. HERRIMAN, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 6:39 p.m.

Hopefully Nick represents BYU well. His brother Jackson did well, but seems to hate the world for not getting into the NBA. Nick is substantially shorter than Jackson, but hopefully he has a chance to do what his brother didn't.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 7:27 p.m.

@ Brave Sir Robin | 5:02 p.m. Jan. 11, 2012

It might work if Southern Virginia decides to field a team.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 7:38 p.m.

Thank you Bronco and Hollie.

• Ares Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 7:48 p.m.

Stay Roscoe. You're fun to watch act like LaVell Edwards and be all serious and do the little league "set, hut" thing on the sideline.

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Jan. 11, 2012 7:49 p.m.

Word on the street is that Bronco turned down Arizona State.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Jan. 11, 2012 8:18 p.m.

Re: Y Grad / Y Dad "You are the only person in the world who doesn't care." I beg to differ, my friend. Why would be so many people be interested to know Bronco turned down a job offer to a "top secret" school he didn't even want to announce? What's the point? Is this his effort to play a little "hard ball" to get more of a contact extension?

Re: Ares "You're fun to watch ... and do the little league "set, hut" thing on the sideline." That's precisely the schtict I'm talking about. I see that type of thing in Pop Warner and High School.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Y Grad. But I am a Y Dad (x3) and a Cougs fan.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 8:25 p.m.

@Portland Trail Blazers 5:03

You said - "Bronco is a much better coach than Kylie Willingham. 2-4 years, Kylie will be shown door up on the hill."

I'm a huge BYU fan, but I disagree with your comment.

First off, a little respect to the head coach up on the hill. 'Kyle Whittingham' is an excellent head coach, and unless the Utes experience a sudden free fall over the next couple of seasons, I'm sure Kyle will be there for a long time to come.

His first three years as U head coach were a bit rough. They lost two of three to BYU and finished with just enough wins to be bowl eligible. But after the 2008 season, Kyle has clearly been coaching with more success.

As for Bronco, I give him a lot of high marks as Y head coach, but the fact of the matter is, he and the BYU football program as a whole are at a crossroads.

2012 promises to be a much tougher year than 2011, with road games against Utah, Boise State, Georgia Tech and Notre Dame. Ten wins next season will be HUGE!

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    Jan. 11, 2012 8:42 p.m.

I am sure that Bro. Mendenhall is a solid defensive coordinator and that he can appeal to LDS athletes at BYU.

'Nuff said.

• deseret pete robertson, Wy
    Jan. 11, 2012 8:56 p.m.

For you who don't know what Bronco is saying much of the time you probably ought to take a class in listening.

• bballjunkie Pleasant Grove, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 9:05 p.m.

Thats to bad, I wish he would have left, and took Doman with him.

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 9:10 p.m.

Good choice Mendenhall your doing a great job as head coach at BYU. Not alot of people around the nation could handle the position at BYU and do as well as you have.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Jan. 11, 2012 9:24 p.m.

Good job BYU in retaining Coach Mendenhall.

He Graduates his student athletes.
    He wins: 10 or more wins in 5 of 6 seasons.
    He cultivates the spiritual mission of the team with the firesides.

It's not about being the best coach, per se, but the best coach for your school. Right now that's Bronco.

• AZJazzFan Gold Canyon, az
    Jan. 11, 2012 9:26 p.m.

Great news. He has been a good leader and has added some nice touches to the program: firesides at away games and looking at the "restrictions" as positive points to the uniqueness of the program, using those as selling points to recruits. He is just not a coach but has added to the spirituality and mission of the school. Guys like him are tough to find. Whit is a good coach, but not sure he would have "grown" the unique spiritual qualities that are part of BYU's mission and atmoshpere. That said, he also has an eye on other programs that may diversify his career; he mentioned the academies.

• Spitvalve Denton, TX
    Jan. 11, 2012 9:31 p.m.

Bronco is a unique coach at a unique school, and so far has been a great fit. He probably could have made more money at the school he turned down, but if money was most important to him he'd have left BYU long ago. He's got extended family in the area, he believes in the ideals of BYU and the LDS church, Provo is a great place to raise a family, and BYU pays him enough that he's not hurting for anything. He may not stay as long as LaVell did, but as long as he keeps winning, that would be my preference.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Jan. 11, 2012 9:33 p.m.

I wonder if he stayed to because Riley Nelson could not transfer with him?

• catram North Las Vegas, NV
    Jan. 11, 2012 9:36 p.m.

Ok I am a little bothered. I am a HUGE Bronco fan. I read his reasoning for not signing an extended contract but it is just not clicking with me. Hmmmmmm

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 9:40 p.m.

Good coach who is interested in character building in addition to W-L. He'd prosper anywhere except the SEC.

• IdahoCougarFan Nampa, ID
    Jan. 11, 2012 10:07 p.m.

Boise Super Blue does not represent all fans in Idaho and has no need to put down Bronco. I respect Coach Pete, Coach Whittingham, and Mendenhall equally. The arrogance of BSU fans is ugly and annoying, the best game of the season was losing to TCU. Many BSU fans blame the kicker when the real problem was the defensive backs getting burned due to lack of playing time.

Go Cougs and Utes!! I would love for BSU to lose to the cougars each year and to humble the arrogant fans portrayed by Boise Super Blue and others.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 11:18 p.m.

Look at me. I get offers too.

RIGHT.

• FYI Taylorsville, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 11:18 p.m.

Actually Mendenhall withdrawing his name from consideration for the UCLA job is old news. Dick Harmon announced it back on December 9.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 11, 2012 11:32 p.m.

I don't know whats more shocking...

A) Bronco getting an offer to coach

B) Dick Harmon not having the inside scoop when it happened

• Dukester VANCOUVER, WA
    Jan. 11, 2012 11:54 p.m.

Bronco,

If another offer comes in, please take it as fast as you can. Just about any coach can have a winning season if they play sub par teams.

• karlmalone Syracuse, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 12:12 a.m.

I don't really care if he got a job offer or not. It makes sense that he would since the program has a winning record and so many other programs don't. i was a little surprised at all the love he is getting here since only a few months ago in September all of you were calling him to give up football and go on a mission.

• R.A.W St George, Utah
    Jan. 12, 2012 1:03 a.m.

I honestly would not be sad to see Bronco go.

He spends more time reading books and showcasing them on his weekly KSL gig then actually finding ways to take the BYU program to the next level. I understand football wins fall 5th on his list, which is great as a father. But as a football coach... nah.

Bronco has shown again and again and again he is either unable or unwilling to make the adjustments and put in the work to make this a top program. It is pretty evident on the sideline that he has no joy or passion in coaching, which is obviously why he has no intentions on signing any long term commitments.

Please let it only be 2 more years of Bronco.

Hopefully things will change at BYU before long,

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 1:43 a.m.

@54-10 11:18

Look at you, still obsessed with BYU.

@BYUfaninWashSt 12:29

Would you like Gary Crowton back?

@R.A.W 1:03

You said - "He spends more time reading books and showcasing them on his weekly KSL gig then actually finding ways to take the BYU program to the next level."

You know this for a fact? Do you know Bronco personally?

Don't forget, before he took over as head coach, the Cougars went through three straight losing seasons. Also, before Bronco, the last Cougar team to win a bowl game was the '96 team.

I'll agree BYU needs to step it up, especially with the schedule they have in 2012, but they could just as easily go the other direction as well.

You said - "It is pretty evident on the sideline that he has no joy or passion in coaching, which is obviously why he has no intentions on signing any long term commitments."

Do you want Bronco to dance more on the sidelines?

Did LaVell show tons of "joy" and "passion" when he was on the BYU sidelines?

As for the contract, I'll most BYU coaches have similar contract lengths.

• Chewbacca Magna, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 5:24 a.m.

So he didn't provide any explanation for why he turned the promotion down?

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    Jan. 12, 2012 7:40 a.m.

"I like our chances".........With a WAC schedule I like your chances too!!! Funny stuff!

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 7:48 a.m.

Arizona State? UCLA?

Of course he turned it down... He'd have to play a big boy schedule with no WAC games to pad the win column.

• IDC Boise, ID
    Jan. 12, 2012 8:03 a.m.

Bronco says and does things a little differently than most. I truly appreciate his honesty with BYU and himself. I like the 3-yr contract stance he takes. Sounds like he is trying do the right thing to me. I hope Bronco is at BYU for a long time.

• Aggielove Junction city, Oregon
    Jan. 12, 2012 8:28 a.m.

Go, so we can get Andy Reid.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 8:32 a.m.

Thank you for staying Bronco. Recruiting has really improved since he got here. 5 out of 6 years with 10+ wins and ranked in the top 25 is something no other coach in the history of the state of Utah can claim. His first year the recruits averaged about 2.3 stars. This year, the average will be about 2.9. That is better than quite a few BCS schools.
    Another way to guage BYU's success is by the number of "protestors" in this comment board. The louder the whining, the better I know BYU is doing. Judging by what I am reading in this articles comments, things are very good at BYU right now.

• Madden Herriman, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 9:00 a.m.

I am bummed that so many BYU fans seem to hate on the coach and the program. Look, BYU has done pretty well lately. They have not won a ton of big games, but most teams in the country don't. I'm sure the great seasons Utah has had just feeds the envy, but BYU fans need to get over it. We are what we are - a pretty good program, usually in the Top 25 or close to it.

We beat the teams we should beat (and often with some drama). We have a clean program with coaches and players who represent BYU well. Bronco understands his job and the mission of the university. I want them to win as much as anyone, but not at any cost. I don't care how many other local and regional schools have better seasons from time to time. BYU will win its share and is on the right track to keep getting better. Enjoy the program, coaches and players more and worry less about not being perfect all the time!

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Jan. 12, 2012 9:13 a.m.

Wrubell reported it was the UCLA job he turned down (yeah right)....now ESPN is saying it was the New Mexico job.

Your coach is drawing interesting from New Mexico.....hahahahahahahahahaha!

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 9:20 a.m.

I find it interesting that so many BYU fans find Bronco sub-par for some reason. I get that he is a quirky dude. He wears a tee-shirt on game day. He comes up with silly slogans. etc. However, the man also wins. He has proven to be a very good defensive coach (name a time in BYU history that the defense has been so consistent). He continues to bring in good talent. He runs a clean program that doesn't disgrace the Y with honor code issues (see Crowton years). So why all the downers from his own fans? Because he's not L. Edwards?

I see no reason Bronco wouldn't have had a shot at UCLA and Arizona State. The ASU job actually makes more sense to me. UCLA was hot on the trail of Peterson then Mora through the whole process. ASU ended up getting the guy from Pitt, after going through a list of No's from coaches higher on their list.

I do think that Bronco is best suited for the Y., but he is certainly a good enough coach to step into a BCS program and do well.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    Jan. 12, 2012 9:25 a.m.

As an ASU fan, I would have been sorely disappointed had Roscoe been hired. I was hoping for a splash, but it never came. In fact, I am disappointed with the guy that was hired.

• Otis Spurlock Ogden, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 9:29 a.m.

After much searching, the only thing I could find was that ESPN had reported that Brocno was offered the New Mexico head coaching job.

What is really interesting is that Bornco and his wife, Holly, actually thought long and hard about taking the New Mexico job.

This speaks volumes about the current state of BYU football. Also, it is clear from the article that Bornco is not committed to staying beyond his three year contract (which is actually good news for Provo).

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 9:35 a.m.

To all of you Cougar obsessed Utes, remind me again which team finished in the top 25 and which team didn't even get a single vote?

• Fully Exposed Irvine, CA
    Jan. 12, 2012 9:40 a.m.

Rumors are:

1) Akron made an offer

2) UCLA wanted him for the defensive coordinator

• PP Eagle Mountain, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 9:43 a.m.

UU32

The people bashing Bronco would be bashing Lavell too. I remember the call in shows back in the day where people were saying it was time for him to quit.

It is funny to me that Ute fans are bashing Broncos record against an easy schedule. Considering that the Utes played in the same conference till last year and have a worse over all record against the same teams.... Well you can probaby figure that out. Also, the Utes schedule was no better than BYUs this year. Probably worse when you take away the BCS conference bias.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Jan. 12, 2012 9:44 a.m.

Why all the obsession with the WAC schedule? We told U, we would play a WAC heavy schedule in 2011 and 2012 going Indy. This ends in 2013.

We are going to continue to play USU, so I don't count them in the mix. So we have four other WAC teams next year. Most BCS teams have two or three cupcakes on the schedule, and we have four.

U have games against Nothern Colorado, Washington State, AZ, ASU and Colorado - all of which should pushovers. Sure Colorado will probably be a 70 - 80 ranking and San Jose will be an 80 - 90 ranking so U can say U have a tougher schedule. But is there really much difference between playing a 70th ranked team versus an 80th ranked team? Reality is - either should be a gimme game for a program like Utah or BYU.

In the MWC; BYU and Utah both routinely had 6 or 7 cupcakes on the schedule. Cougs schedule is definately tougher than in MWC and will rival most BCS schedules in 2013.

Boise State has become famous playing 8 or 9 cupcakes every year.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 10:02 a.m.

@phoenix

Word on the street is that Bronco turned down the New York Giants.

• Canyontreker TAYLORSVILLE, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 10:21 a.m.

@PP "The people bashing Bronco would be bashing Lavell too."

No way. I love Lavell, I love Jimmer, Steve Young, BYU basketball and football. But, Bronco didn't follow through with the mission of the school and let Hall spew all over the media while wearing the BYU uniform. He is not the leader for BYU.

• BoiseSuperBlue Twin Falls, ID
    Jan. 12, 2012 10:31 a.m.

Razzle2 wrote:

"Word on the street is that Bronco turned down the New York Giants. "

Really?! What street would that be? Sesame Street?

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 10:43 a.m.

He signed 3 years (last year) to coach Heaps to 2014 and now that won't happen. Bronco won't stay more than 2 years. Neither Utah nor BYU will ever be ranked again, but that is okay---football isn't everything. I don't think Whittingham is having fun; his interviews are always the same, should just play a tape recorder because it is the same message every day---no humor, no smile, no personality. McBride and Lavell may not have the winning percentage, but they had fun.

• BoiseSuperBlue Twin Falls, ID
    Jan. 12, 2012 10:45 a.m.

Razzle2 wrote:

"Word on the street is that Bronco turned down the New York Giants."

What street? Sesame Street?

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 10:48 a.m.

I just think it is funny that the SOS argument is such an issue in the minds of both sides. Especially when you consider that both BYU and Utah's SOS computer rankings factor in both schools strength of schedule for eachother into the mix. Meaning, Utah (in the computers) gets linked to BYU's bad schedule and BYU gets linked in to the bad Pac-12 teams via both Utah and Oregon State (which actually ends up helping BYU because the Pac-12 teams SOS is ranked by the computers higher than BYU's SOS). BYU's schedule will get better as they work through this Indy thing. Boise St., Notre Dame, Texas, Ga Tech, etc. Utah's schedule will get tougher as the Pac-12 teams improve (Colorado will be better, Arizona will be better with RichRod, USC is off probation and back cheating with a full roster of recruits, Mora is a recruiting juggernaut at UCLA, Cal has a stellar recruiting class coming in, WSU has the crazy offensive genius at the helm).

Time to move on from this discussion. Spring ball is around the corner.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 10:50 a.m.

New Mexico?

And he actually considered it?

Too funny.

• newwest Ferron, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 11:08 a.m.

Brave Sir Robin said:
    "Your coach is drawing interesting from New Mexico.....hahahahahahahahahaha!"
    Even funnier, he draws the interest of Brave Sir Robin.

• Cougar Cindy Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 11:19 a.m.

Wow, so many Utes here! Some call him wierd, some unusual -- Hey Tebow is wierd and unusual, and WINNING!!

GO BRONCO!

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Jan. 12, 2012 11:36 a.m.

I really don't think "the Nation at large," and "everybody," thinks or cares too much about this. Bronco seems to have a overenflated view of what everybody knows and where the nations focus is.

• U R Not Man Until a BCS Bowl Mars University, Mars
    Jan. 12, 2012 11:38 a.m.

But Tebow knows football.

Go Utah!!

• Brad E. HERRIMAN, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 11:51 a.m.

Bronco seems to do just enough to keep his job. Having said that, it's hard to find a coach better than Bronco that would fit in with BYU. The program seems to be doing fine with Bronco and if their recruiting continues to do better than before (as another poster indicated) than why get rid of him? As a Ute fan, i'm torn.... Part of me wants to see Bronco bolt for another team to see how it would affect Y football, and another part of me is afraid that another coach would do better than him. At the end of the day if you put Bronco and Whittingham against each other, it's a no brainer though in favor of KWhit. Again, withi so many fans divided on Bronco, one would have to conclude that he's an above average coach, but not a standout.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 11:57 a.m.

It's not Bronco that is the problem with BYU football - it's the entire program and a new coach won't solve anything. BYU is left in independent waste land and eventually the recruiting (or lack thereof) will dry up. BYU's chance to go to a BCS conference came and went with the non-invite to the BIG 12 and so they are left to dwindle away as a program. Bronco is obviously still looking for another job - just not the job he just passed up but I suspect you will see him leave after next season. BYU 'was' fun to watch during the 70's 80' 90' and up to maybe 2010. Reality is I really doubt BYU as an institution will even participate in the NCAA in any sports in 10 years.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 11:57 a.m.

Actually, the job he turned down was at Utah.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 12:05 p.m.

@Honor Code 7:40

@Howard S. 7:48

You two are 100% correct.

In 2012, BYU is scheduled to play "WAC" games against "WAC" opponents such as Utah, Boise State, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech and Oregon State.

In 2013 and 2014, the projected "WAC" schedule includes opponents such as Texas, Houston and Southern Miss, with additional "WAC" games against Boise State, Georgia Tech and Notre Dame.

I don't know how BYU gets away with scheduling all these "WAC" opponents. Next thing you know, they're going to want to sign an extended agreement to play "WAC" teams like Boise State every year for the next six or seven years.

• DodgerDoug Salem, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 12:39 p.m.

Thank you Bronco! We hope there are many more three years deals in the future! BYU fans who don't like Bronco drive me crazy, they will never be happy unless we win the NC. Even then they wont be satisfied for whatever reason! Hey enjoy the 64-25 record or whatever it is under Bronco. FYI, it is better than Lavell's record after that many games... dare I blasphame!

• MormonUte Centerville, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 12:45 p.m.

I am definitely not a Cougar fan, but I have nothing but respect for Bronco Mendenhall. A lot of people make fun of the fact that he is very open about his priorities in life, and many see that as a negative. I don't know why. John Wooden was quite open about prioritizing other things above sports, and he also won more than any other coach in history. Some BYU fans think Bronco lacks passion. I think he is simply level-headed and masters his emotions well. Those are admirable traits. BYU often struggles early in the season, and he has shown the ability to not let one or two games ruin the year. If more BYU fans were like Bronco, I could root for BYU. The guy is totally classy. It is interesting to speculate on how he would do at another school without the standards that BYU has. I honestly don't know. What I do know is that I would let my son play for Bronco without hesiation. I love Whittingham at Utah as well, but this article is about Bronco. Cougar fans who don't want Bronco around, be careful what you wish for.

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 12:45 p.m.

@clarkhippo since when was houston a good program? just caue they had a good season this year all of a sudden just cause you play them in the future they are good? hahaha. and werent yall y fans the ones callin gout utah for playin ga. tech in their bowl game but then you list them as one of your great opponents and osu? which is it cougar fans? when you dont play ga. tech and osu they are weak but when you do play them they are all of a sudden good? just wonderin how that works at the y

• Otis Spurlock Ogden, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 12:47 p.m.

DodgerDoug wrote:

"Thank you Bronco! We hope there are many more three years deals in the future!"

I'm sure I speak for many Ute fans when I say that we would like nothing more than for Coach Bornco to stay at BYU for a long, long time. :) 54-10

• Flame of the West Southern, Cali
    Jan. 12, 2012 1:23 p.m.

@ Otis

I'm sure I speak for many Y fans when I say that we would like nothing more than for Colorado to play Utah for a long, long time. :) 17-14

go top 25 cougs!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Jan. 12, 2012 1:58 p.m.

UCLA? Perhaps Mendenhall probably wouldn't have wanted to admit that the school he mentioned was Fresno State, so he's letting people believe he rejected the Bruins instead.

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 2:01 p.m.

@flame of the west now whats really embarrassing is you y fans hiding behind another team that beat the u cause yall obviously (54-10) couldnt do it hahaha now thats hilarious and sad all at the same time.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 2:12 p.m.

There was a reason Bronco only signed a 3 year deal. Most coaches would want as long as deal as possible and the only reason you sign for less is to make it easier to leave. The hiring school doesn't have to buy out much of or any remaining contact when you leave. Bronco has his resume at the ready no question and why not - Whit just got 2 million a year so why set around and make 1/4 of that at BYU? If I am Bronco I am looking hard to get a chance at a BCS conference - something like a Georgia Tech or Ole Miss etc... BYU can't compete salary wise and they are going to find it really hard to grab traditional recruits anymore - nothing really to offer football wise. I put BYU now days on the level of Tulsa or Nevada or Louisville etc... Not a top 25 program anymore but with the loyal fan base they have they will continue to fill the stadium. BYU fans are different than most where winning doesn't mean all that much to most- just a fun college football fall afternoon for the family and kids.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Jan. 12, 2012 2:26 p.m.

sportsfanforlife | 2:01 p.m. Jan. 12, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT

About as hilarious as a team that peaked September 17th and slid downhill from there...

...until losing to the fearsome Buffs.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    Jan. 12, 2012 2:49 p.m.

sportsfanforlife

I can't believe you said this at 12:45 p.m. Jan. 12, 2012...

"since when was houston a good program? just caue they had a good season this year all of a sudden..."

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

You just described the u, in depth and detail and made the point every BYU fan has been making for years...

"We won 2 BCS games."

So what!?

You have nothing else but two seasons, SEVERAL SEASONS AGO, that mean nothing now.

Good Gravy that was funny.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 2:52 p.m.

@ Y Grad / Y Dad | 2:26 p.m. Jan. 12, 2012
    Richland, WA

54-10 is obviously so painful to you.

Love it.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 2:57 p.m.

@ Starfarer | 2:49 p.m. Jan. 12, 2012
    Mesa, AZ

2>0

• OldPortD.A.M. Mesa, AZ
    Jan. 12, 2012 3:01 p.m.

54-10

Being an ASU and A BYU fan and Alumn, 35-14 suited me just fine.

Utah proved one thing last season. Two great seasons doesn't mean you are as important as you think you are.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    Jan. 12, 2012 3:05 p.m.

54-10

really

National Championships 1 > two BCS wins.

Look it up. the only team award that transcends year over year is a NC, not a bowl win for 3rd and 4th place.

Besides when the BCS goes away, what will you say then? they wre just bowls games, nothing more.

Oh yeah Top 25 this year > what did you do this year? Oh yeah, 54-10. Oooohhhh.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    Jan. 12, 2012 3:10 p.m.

patriot

Please produce one shred, one little tiny itsy bitsy shed of evidence that BYU will drop sports, especially football.

I can unequivocally and without hesitation say that you are wrong.

Yes, I do have information, from the people involved that no one, anywhere at any level of the church, except maybe your ward, or your living room, thinks BYU sports are going anywhere anytime soon.

So just stop. BYU football is not going anywhere.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Jan. 12, 2012 4:18 p.m.

54-10

Brilliant retort. Yes, 54-10 stings, and will until we extract a measure of revenge. As I said before, I WILL be in RES next year to see it happen.

What stings worse though friend, one humiliation, early on, or one humiliation right at the end of your season? You might as well have lost to your scout team. Maybe you should have PLAYED your scout team.

End of the day, 25th and a thrilling bowl victory over a decent opponent, or nada in the season custom tailored to your PAC intro? Get used to the Trojan fanfare - you'll be hearing it a lot.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 4:19 p.m.

MormonUte, finally a fan who is based in common sense and reason. For all those so-called BYU fans who are hoping Mendenhall leaves, please lead by example and find a team to cheer for that fits your personality. May I suggest USC or Miami. Maybe you can become a 'friend' of the former Ohio State coach who shall remain nameless.

On a more friendly note, it is now being reported that the U of U is interested in hiring Gary Crowton. Mull that one over for awhile Otis and Howard.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    Jan. 12, 2012 4:23 p.m.

Star Fairy,

It must hurt that a "top 25 team" that backed into the top 25 due to extenuating circumstances rather than merit got drilled by 44 points on your own field.

I'm sure you were one of the "fans" that turned the game off in the 3rd quarter (I'm assuming you didn't make the trip to Provo). Hopefully you switched off your TV before your team gave up. On the bright side, if you watched the whole game you were able to see Sunshine get ripped, fumble the ball, and chase Utah's LB as he raced towards a fumble recovery TD.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 4:24 p.m.

Starfarer,

You are forgetting that BCS bowl games are better than national championships, that being #2 is better than being #1 (which is why Utah was picked over BYU for their academics into the PAC 12), finishing the season unranked with no votes is better than being ranked with 20 votes, and that one game will make an entire season (and one or two good seasons makes a program really good). Come on, get your facts right! 50 years from now people from all over the world will look back on this last decade and the first thing that will come to mind to everyone is Utah's 2004 BCS win.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    Jan. 12, 2012 4:36 p.m.

Riverton Coog -

"50 years from now people from all over the world will look back on this last decade and the first thing that will come to mind to everyone is Utah's 2004 BCS win."

It's not gonna '84, acheived by beating a team that didn't finish in the top 5 in its OWN conference to seal the deal, either.

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 4:50 p.m.

@starfarer and what exactly does your byu program have to show for ANYTHING besides that nc against a .500 team? please tell me cause you all act like you mean something to the world and you really DONT! haha if i were a y fan i would be the last to talk about ANYTHING concerning teams doing anything recently. so tell me what is it exactly that you have done??

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 4:51 p.m.

@y grad/ y dad no whats really embarrassing is claiming you got SO much better the second half of the season when ironically that as your WAC shedule with a tcu game mixed and you got dominated against tcu. now thats embarrassing haha y fans are hilarious

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 4:53 p.m.

@starfarer "nothing really to offer football wise. I put BYU now days on the level of Tulsa or Nevada or Louisville etc..."
    "BYU fans are different than most where winning doesn't mean all that much to most- just a fun college football fall afternoon for the family and kids."

hahaha apparently im not the only one who thinks so hahaha.

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 4:58 p.m.

hahahaha i love the spin from byu fans. they have done absolutely NOTHING since '84 and they really wanna sit here and talk like they are better? for real?? yall rally need to get a clue cause nobody on the east coast cares about you AT ALL. i say to my cousin the other day..."me:so would you think about goin to byu?my cousin: who?" hahahaha

• sportsman101 salt lake city, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 5:05 p.m.

are these y fans really beating their chest cause they got into the top 25? you know you only made thta cause usc was ineligible right?

@starfarer "So let me get this straight, Houston is not a good program because they have only put together one good season. So your saying that just because a team has a good season doesn't make them a relevant program overall?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

"We won 2 BCS games."

So what!?

Good Gravy that was funny."

dude... what exactly is it that you have done lately at all? absolutely nothing. you sit there and say utahs two bcs wins dont matter. really? and why is that exactlyu? what have you done to better that even in this decade? what bowl game have you even been to that matters. you know what you just said makes you look even worse right? LOL

• Archi Mclean, VA
    Jan. 12, 2012 5:06 p.m.

@ Starfarer

Exhibit A = BYU Idaho

Patriot may be right about BYU one day dropping sports.

• Flame of the West Southern, Cali
    Jan. 12, 2012 5:32 p.m.

devilish

You, Bryant Gumbel, and all the Ute fans out there can complain and spin all you want - it was, is, and forever will be an NC.

Your attempt to invalidate or devalue it is flawed; compared to the current system, which is such a total farce and nearly every year the new NC is a new controversy, with teams being picked over other so-called lesser. Using your logic, you think OK State doesn't feel cheated this year? TCU? Boise State? Oregon? ad nauseum over the last decade? Until there is a playoff there will always be a debate, controversy, an asterix mark next to NC, whether in 1984 or now. BYU had a perfect season then and was picked NC by two polls, now a computer picks you tell me which system works best. This year, LSU could possibly have been crowned NC even when losing the title game.

Until then however...the NC. It is something every team craves, wants, and covets. There is a special trophy for it, handed out once a year. We have one of those trophies...you don't - have on those, do you.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Jan. 12, 2012 5:33 p.m.

sportsfanforlife | 4:51 p.m. Jan. 12, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT

Keep telling yourself that until you believe it. While you dispute whether we really improved or not and whether we deserve to be in the top 25, Utah is the undisputed mediocre team of the year!

• indycrimson Franklin, IN
    Jan. 12, 2012 5:52 p.m.

If Utah was mediocre and we embarrassed the sideline scrimagers, what would you call BYU? Beaten by mediocre must be lousy or bad...

Right?

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Jan. 12, 2012 6:01 p.m.

Having graduated from SDSU (undergrad), I finally got sick and tired of their "fans" reaction/treatment to anything BYU, and I have since lost all allegiance, interest, etc. to anything SDSU. But now as a BYU Dad (x3), I don't know what's worse-- SDSU fans or troll fans?

Re: Y Grad / Y Dad, you gave me a little of a hard time to my initial post to this article, but I give you huge kudos for your response to the many troll comments. Theyve obviously lost all interest in their own team/school. Go get 'em, Dad! Love it.

And as a USC graduate (grad school), I want to extend a warm, early "welcome" to our troll brethren in the Southern Division. Can't wait to see what an offense under the 3rd OC in 3 years compares against the rest of the league ... and Colorado ... again.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 6:09 p.m.

"hahahaha i love the spin from byu fans. they have done absolutely NOTHING since '84 and they really wanna sit here and talk like they are better? for real?? yall rally need to get a clue cause nobody on the east coast cares about you AT ALL."

ESPN in their most recent once-a-decade ranking of the top 25 most prestigious football programs nationwide put BYU in the top 25. Utah? They weren't in the top 25. Mind you this was after Utah's 2nd BCS win. SO apparently BCS wins aren't enough to put Utah on the same tier as BYU. You also say that BYU has "done absolutely NOTHING since '84". What do you define as "something"? It seems like your only criteria for "having done something" is to have an undefeated season. That's kind of like saying the only way one can be considered to have been an effective athlete is to win the Heisman. That's pretty restrictive.

You make it sound like there's such an enormous difference between 0 losses and 1 loss, that 0 losses is not significant at all. Guess what? It's possible to be a great team and have a great season and still lose a game or two. How many undefeated teams were there this year? How many great teams were there this year?

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 6:18 p.m.

indycrimson

"If Utah was mediocre and we embarrassed the sideline scrimagers, what would you call BYU?"

Easy,

BYU was a team that steadily improved throughout the season to point of finishing in the Top 25.

Utah, on the other hand, was a team that spent all of its energy on BYU and had nothing left at the end of the season, losing to one of the worst teams in the country.

• 17-14 Hurts Don't It? Springville, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 6:33 p.m.

Totally hilarious that so many of you sore losers can't move on in life.

BYU is a Top 25 team, you deny it. BYU succeeded in its first season as an independent, you deny it. BYU had discussions of joining a BCS conference, you deny it. Bronco turns down a job, you deny it.

Well here's something you cannot deny... you lost to Colorado

And...
    You lost your shot at the South Division championship
    You lost your PAC 10.2 championship game opportunity

For a team that consistently came up second fiddle most years to BYU in the WAC and in the MWC how could you ever think you would do better than 4-5 in your conference.

and lest we forget... you lost to a team that hadn't won a road game in 4 years, a 2-10 team.

Second fiddle again, and again. LOL... your welcome!

• ifiwasabettingman Sandy, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 6:35 p.m.

Boooo. another couple years full of losses for the Y!

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 6:38 p.m.

haha y fans have no hope i just figured it out. everything they do is superior to utah cause of their name hahaha wow get a clue y fans for real.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Jan. 12, 2012 6:38 p.m.

RE: Riverton Cougar- "hahahaha i love the spin from byu fans." Sorry, my friend, but the only "spin" I see is from troll fans blowing your win over us way out of proportion, as if the game meant anything to our overall season or our bowl game agreement. It was "one" game, and that was all. We went to the bowl game that we were contractually obligated to .. and I'll take Dallas over El Paso any day of the year.

"yall rally need to get a clue cause nobody on the east coast cares about you AT ALL." Sorry again, my friend. Obviously plenty of trolls, such as you, "care" about us. Still trying to figure out why. But by the amount of trolls comments to anything and everything BYU, I think plenty of your brethren are very interested in us.

• niners SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 6:54 p.m.

Ok, so you Y fans are telling me that if it just so happened that BYU beat Utah 54-10, then the Y went on to face the toughest schedule any team from Utah has ever faced and finished 8-5. All the while Utah goes through the bottom half of the WAC ends up with 10 wins and a top 25 finish, and Y fans would not be saying the same stuff to Utah fans? are you kidding me? Why don't you put that into perspective for a moment..

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 6:56 p.m.

I think that the recruiting rating services are a farce. How many stars did all-Pro and tight-end great Chad Lewis get coming in (none - he was a walk-on). Eric Weddell got one star and he was a Ute great. Ben Olson and Jake Heaps were both 5-star busts. That having been said, although the BYU recruiting classes consistently look good (and the 2012 class is shaping up nicely), the team always has less overall talent than many BSC schools, including the Utes. When was the last time we sent a cornerback to the NFL? Utah has more at that position in the big time than any school in the NCAA. We get our share of linemen (Kiesel, Hoke, Coats) and blocking fullbacks, but skill positions from BYU in the NFL are rare in recent times (i.e., since Steve Young and Jim McMahon).

I heard an interesting take on 1280theZone from Kyle Gunther (former Ute) who explained that Bronco gets more out of less than any coach in the country. Cougar fans, be honest with yourselves, do you really think anyone else would do better. AggieLove, why would Andy Reid even consider coming?

• roquetman provo, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 7:10 p.m.

• Truth Machine Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 7:15 p.m.

niners

The most glaringly obvious problem with your rant is Utah didn't finish with a tough schedule:

7 of the 9 teams U faced finished with LOSING records, and U LOST to the only two teams that finished with winning records AND to two teams with losing records.

Wash(7-6) LOST
    ASU(6-7) LOST
    Pitt(6-7) won
    Cal(7-6) LOST
    OSU(3-9) won
    Ariz(4-8) won
    UCLA(6-8) won
    WSU(4-8) won in OT
    Col(3-10) LOST

And your 8-5 bowl opponent, not even as good as BYU's 8-5 bowl opponent.

Tulsa #35 Sagarin
    Ga Tech #56 Sagarin

Which is why BYU finished in the national Top 25 and Utah finished as a cellar dweller in their conference.

• Mid-Major Cougars San Diego, CA
    Jan. 12, 2012 7:17 p.m.

Bottom line...Bronco must have thought head coach position with New Mexico (last in MWC) is worth to consider giving up head coach with TBI (aka third best indy team)...

The best of this story is...Bronco made it sound like he gave up a good
    opportunity to remain with TBI.

hahaha...
    Chris B is right...the future of football in Utah...is Utah indeed.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 7:19 p.m.

"I'm the farthest thing from a BYU fan, but I certainly would dislike them less if Bronco wasn't there."

Just one more reason why true blue BYU fans hope that Bronco will stay around for a long time -- he so irritates the BYU haters.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 9:08 p.m.

@So. Cal Reader

I think you mean to direct that comment to the Ute troll I was replying to, just fyi. The first paragraph in my post was quoting what he said so others don't have to go back and see what the person said exactly.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 12, 2012 10:04 p.m.

@phoenix
    Word on the street is that Bronco turned down Arizona State.

---------

Word on the street is that Bronco was the one who turned down the Big 12 and Big Least invites. Rumors are that discussions are still on going with the SEC.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Jan. 13, 2012 12:18 a.m.

@sportsfanforlife 12:45

You said - "...werent yall y fans the ones callin gout utah for playin ga. tech in their bowl game?"

Sorry but no. I did not read or hear of a single BYU fan knocking Georgia Tech. If anything, I heard lots of Y fans saying Georgia Tech was going to take the Utes to the woodshed. (In retrospect, such comments were clearly premature)

In my opinion, no Y fan should knock the Utes' schedule. I'm a proud Cougar fan, but I clearly recognize the Utah's PAC 12 schedule in 2011 was clearly superior to the Cougars schedule in 2011.

In time, I truly believe BYU will have a schedule, year in and year out, which will closely match Utah's in strength, and from what I've seen so far of the 2012 and 2013 schedules, this is already beginning to take shape.

GO COUGARS!

• FYI Taylorsville, UT
    Jan. 13, 2012 10:26 a.m.

@Truth Machine

A little more truth for you

Overall Record of Teams Played (Sagarin)
    Utah 84-82
    BYU 71-91

Average SOS of Teams Played (Sagarin)
    Utah 45
    BYU 69

Average SOS of PAC 12 teams Utah played (Sagarin): 23

Average Rank of Teams Played (Sagarin)
    Utah 61
    BYU 86

SOS (Sagarin)
    Utah 49
    BYU 90

Rank (Sagarin)
    Utah 39
    BYU 34

AP Top 25 votes for BYU 18 out of 60
    Coaches (Last voting record released Dec 5, they don't release their final ballot) 11 out of 59 with Mendenhall ranking them 22.

• Anonymous Infinity American Fork, UT
    Jan. 13, 2012 11:15 a.m.

Thanks for staying Bronco. Please show us something on the sidelines other than stoic behavior. I want to see by your body language that you are engaged in the game and show the players some motivation on game day. Can you do that for me, neighbor? Thank you, sir.

• Anonymous Infinity American Fork, UT
    Jan. 13, 2012 11:34 a.m.

I am a BYU fan, and I say to BYU and Utah fans......BYU nor Utah are Top 25 west of the Mississippi, and certainly not Top 50 east of the Mississippi. Can we get our heads out and be real for a change? Those 35 plus Division I bowls were obsurd for at least half of them. Come on. All fans of each school want their favorite to do well. How does going to the bowls that BYU and Utah participated in add to the coaches resumes or the school's prestige? But playing Mercy State teams and defeating teams that end up with mediocre records at the end of the season is no cause for crowing about the relative programs and their merits on recruiting or even sending players to the NFL. The NFL is not the NFL I grew up with. There are too many teams. It's all about the money and we are all paying for it at the grocery store and everywhere else. Let's be realistic and enjoy our sports and back off this back and forth baloney.

• Bluecat82 Minneapolis, MN
    Jan. 13, 2012 11:41 a.m.

*sigh*

Let's try this again.

Why did the brethren drop sports at BYU-Idaho?

Because, as a four-year school, they would be recruiting out of the same player pool as BYU-Provo, rather than being a "feeder" school as they were when they were a Junior College.

Why is that so hard to understand?

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 13, 2012 12:19 p.m.

FYI

Nice spin, but The MOST IMPORTANT column in Sagarin's ratings is the first column:

#34 BYU
    #39 Utah

In season rankings are fun, but the Final Rankings are the ONLY rankings that count:

BYU #25 Coaches, #26 AP
    Utah not a single vote in either poll

Regardless of how you spin it, from a national perspective, BYU had a better overall season than Utah.

Whining about it won't change that.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Jan. 13, 2012 1:18 p.m.

In addition to calling out BYU's schedule, don't you Ute trolls realize that the pollsters ALREADY take SOS into account? You seem to expect BYU to be double-tried for SOS. Why don't you think that an undefeated Houston team can't get into the top 5? Strength of schedule is why! The pollsters already factor SOS into their rankings.

So, in conclusion, according to the polls BYU was a lot better this season overall DESPITE their weaker schedule, not BECAUSE of it.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    Jan. 13, 2012 1:38 p.m.

FYI,

That's too much truth for Truth. Must be hard for Truth and others to accept that BYU weaseled into the "top 25" based on extenuating circumstances rather merit. Put an asterisk next to this "top 25 ranking" along with the asterisk next to '84.

It's even harder for them to admit that they got pasted on their own field by their rival, their "fans" bolted for the exits in the 3rd quarter of that game, and the players quit even before the "fans" did.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Jan. 13, 2012 2:33 p.m.

May I just say, I really don't give a rip what Bronco wears on the sideline, what his sideline demeanor looks like or how he interviews. I care about a team of quality individuals representing the standards of the gospel that I believe in, and I care whether they win or lose.

I have healed from the train wreck September 17th, but I have not forgotten.

IF I visit a Utah article, it is to pay compliments to the Ute team, which generally I respect and whose coach I admire. In defense of the boys in blue, I unfortunately resort to saying things to/about the ankle-biters that are less than Christian.

I think that to assume the report about New Mexico is true but the reports about UCLA or ASU are false is dishonorable and self-serving in an attempt to discredit a good man. I also believe coach Whittingham is a good man and a great coach.

For what it's worth...

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    Jan. 13, 2012 2:50 p.m.

Starfairy,

So by your logic, you have had 1 good season, and that was I guess in 84 since that is your only undefeated season. That was what, 28 years ago now. Good gravy that was funny.

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    Jan. 13, 2012 2:56 p.m.

Y Grad,

Tulsa was not a decent opponent. No one believes that Tulsa could beat anyone other than their weak Conf USA brethren, and the Wac teams that you played. The Tulsa vs Y matchup was a percfect one for each of you. Both average teams, who beat pathetic teams, but lost to the good ones. I am glad that you will be in RES next year. Maybe a mythical beer will get poured on you, and you can say all UTE fans are classless. I dont think that will happen though. What I do know will happen is the UTES will beat the Cougs again, and you will leave the stadium dejected for the 3rd time in as many years, and 4 of the last 5, and so on, and so on, and so on.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Jan. 13, 2012 3:30 p.m.

Papa Smurf UTE | 2:56 p.m. Jan. 13, 2012
    Herriman, UT

I was there the last time, and came within 3 inches of you being the one that left all dejected.

And yes, after the blocked kick, on of your brethren DID turn around to toast me with his "mythical" Budweiser. Sneaking it into the stadium is not difficult, but he seemed to value it too much to spray it on anyone.

Classless? Your comment speaks for itself.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Jan. 13, 2012 3:32 p.m.

Oh, and Colorado was a decent opponent? Sorry, friend, I'm not impressed with your credentials for judgement.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    Jan. 13, 2012 4:08 p.m.

"came within 3 inches of you being the one that left all dejected"

And yet it was you that left dejected.

One can only imagine how disappointed you were this year. I am guessing you turned this year's game off in the 3rd quarter like the rest of the "fans." If you stayed tuned in, you got to see Sunshine get lit up, fumble the ball, and then chase VJ Fehoko as he raced towards the endzone.

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    Jan. 13, 2012 4:42 p.m.

Y Grad,

3 inches is 3 inches, and it was blocked, and the UTES won the game. I am truly sorry that a UTE fan, (if it really happened, did get beer on you) there is really no place for that at all in this rivalry. There are classless fans on both sides of the rivalry. I know how it feels to feel dejected after you leave your own stadium, or that of your rival. I was there in 98 with the doink, 2000 Lavels last game and Domans miracle, and 2006 with the Beck to Harline. My comment only speaks for itself with how I am confident that the UTES will beat the Cougs this year in RES, it is far from classless, other than saying something about the mythical beer. Like I said before, I am truly sorry if some fan said, or did something to you as you left the stadium. That same game 2 Y fans tried to beat up a father and a son (who was probably 16 or so) because the son said something to the Y's band about losing. We had to break it up. There are classless fans on both sides.

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    Jan. 13, 2012 5:55 p.m.

Y Grad,

Did I say that Colorado was ever a decent opponent? I actually think they are terrible, and the fact that the UTES lost that game just goes to show that they were not ready, and thought they could just win. It was at home, they were on a 4 game win streak, and they thought they had it in the bag. Well, they didnt. Colorada was terrible, just like UNLV was in 2007. Hopefully the UTES will make the same run of wins the next 3 plus years the same way they did after that loss. I doubt they will since their schedule will be a lot tougher, but I know for a fact my credentials and judgement are more enhanced and superior to yours. I appreciate your opinion though.

• JmThms Henderson, NV
    Jan. 14, 2012 11:24 a.m.

So. Cal Reader, I know what you mean about the behavior of SDSU fans regarding anything BYU. I lived there for most of the past 30 years and have always been amazed at the manifested inferiority complex of SDSU fans regarding anything BYU. Unfortunately that also applies to fans of other institutions as well.