Utah Jazz: Defense sputters in Mile High air

Comments

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Dec. 28, 2011 8:13 p.m.

Bwahahaha! Jazz getting pounded again. 63 points allowed in one half? Who needs defense?

• md Cache, UT
    Dec. 28, 2011 8:33 p.m.

Jefferson, please learn how to pass out of a double team!

• Vince the boonies, mexico
    Dec. 28, 2011 8:39 p.m.

Between the "black hole" of big Al on offense, and the no perimeter matador defense this is ugly. I want to be patient about this team but trying to sub players every 6 or 7 min seems to be unraveling any flow of knowing where everyone is as for any cohesiveness. Oh well I'll try to stay more positive.

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    Dec. 28, 2011 8:45 p.m.

I would say offense AND defense is a problem. Look at the shot charts. Within a year of Coach Sloan's retirement, the Utah Jazz are now getting absolutely pounded in the paint. On offense, we've turned into a jump shooting team--but we lack the shooter. We have very few shot attempts in the paint. On defense, the paint is wide open. How many easy dunks has Nene had? How many easy points in the paint have the Nuggets had?

This is getting out of hand. It might be time to change the logo/team colors again.

• Bluewombat8 Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 28, 2011 8:48 p.m.

I actually thought the Jazz would be ok this year, wow I was W-R-O-N-G. This is the most pathetic team I have ever seen besides the utes. Al needs to learn how to pass, and the whole team needs to learn how to play defense, and hang onto the ball. This looks like a rec team out there turning the ball over almost every time down

• DH48 West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 28, 2011 8:52 p.m.

This Jazz team is virtually unwatchable. They can't play defense at all and they don't seem to know how to dribble, pass or shoot the ball. This is far worse than I expected.

• cowboy99 South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 28, 2011 9:05 p.m.

This team is bad. KOC please do something.

• Carnak Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 28, 2011 9:17 p.m.

Millsap is the best player on the team, YET, he never plays. Can't really stand the excuses coming from Harpring and Bollerjack either.

• SportsFan101 Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 28, 2011 9:26 p.m.

Bell needs to go. Period. He is TERRIBLE. I would rather see Burks, Howard, Hayward, Cj, or two point guard set if he means he is off the court. He does nothing but foul and turn it over.

• Silly Rabbit Small Town, USA, UT
    Dec. 28, 2011 9:29 p.m.

Why, why, why was Milsap on the bench in the 3rd quarter as I type this there is 4:11 on the clock Jefferson just left the game hobbling and MILSAP is still on the bench, is he hurt. Come on Tyrone I want to have faith in you but your starters stunk it up in the 3rd and you leave them in clear the bench show the players and the fans that you will not tolerate lazy sloppy b-ball. Ohhh wait at 3:04 left in the 3rd down by 18 and Milsap comes in WOW its about time. Coach I am starting to wonder if you can coach 52 to 20 points in the paint through the 3rd WOW again, come on coach.
    Well I want to have faith its only the second game in so I will still watch, I think this team will be fun to watch as they learn and grow, but come on coach tell the team to RUN, run, run.
    Go Jazz.

• Scott13 Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 28, 2011 9:39 p.m.

I thought it was time for a change in coaching when Sloan left, man was I wrong.We have NO defense.. People are asking KOC to do something. I think he has done enough already. I know we are only two games in but this team has got a lot to learn least of all is gelling together. Get used to it Jazz fans this looks to be a long strike shortened season!

• B Russ Ephraim, UT
    Dec. 28, 2011 9:43 p.m.

Come on Corbin wake up and smell the coffee. Burks needs to play. Bell needs to coach the bench. Tinsley is the best play maker we have amoung the point guards. Go with Tinsley, Burks, Howard, Milsap and Favors. Hayward 6th man off the bench. Kanter and Evans next in line.

• Portland Trail Blazers Sandy, UT
    Dec. 28, 2011 9:59 p.m.

hahaha, wow the Jazz are terrible.

18-48 is my prediction for the Jazz this season.

What an embarrassing time to be a Jazz fan.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    Dec. 28, 2011 10:00 p.m.

Clueless...The jazz front office, the GM KOC, the Coaches and each and everyone of the players are totally..........Clueless.

Disappointment is a word which does not even begin to describe the Jazz.

• sandrus cedar Hills/ utah, UT
    Dec. 28, 2011 10:08 p.m.

The only bright side is that the Jazz have two first round picks next year in what looks to be one of the best drafts in recent history. This is going to be a long, ugly year but the Jazz have a ton of young talent. Burks, Kanter, Hayward and Favors are all going to be very good but it is going to take time! Right now they have no identity and the veterans are adding no leadership. Raja Bell is simply awful, Devin Harris looks like his time in New Jersey killed his desire and Al Jefferson has never been on a winning team. KOC may not use the term rebuilding but that is exactly what is happening!

• Mountain Bird West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 28, 2011 10:09 p.m.

I thought I saw the ghost of Gentle Ben Poquette out there. This Jazz is reminding me of the pre-Thurl Baily Jazz.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    Dec. 28, 2011 10:13 p.m.

Both AL and CJ showed up on offense tonight..both MIA last night. On defense they were not even in the same zip code as Denver.

Now they have dug a pit for themselves are they going to be like the Lakers who are used to winning and fought back after going 0-2 this season or are they going to continue to lag?

Lots of frustration on the part of Corbin I am sure. They practice and shoot and when they get to the game they turn into no team play and way too many jump shooters.

Now if they could only hit what they shoot at....don't make me bring up Hornacek again, I am sure it is a coincidence the Jazz have the 3rd worst shooting percentage in the league.

Turnovers by the bigs at the top of the key is unacceptable. Why would they have the ball up there, they are not pg's they are not ball handlers, they are paid to play down low, and score and defend in and around the key.

This young team in the early part of this season still baffles me.

• toddfromsantaana Santa Ana, CA
    Dec. 28, 2011 10:14 p.m.

Every site I see tonight the Administrators use the "Tired old Analogy". "Have Faith young team, if you do not like root for someone else". I have not seen anything since Corbin took over that tells me he can strategize, motivate or have a proper lineup.

The fact is for every point Harris and AJ get they give up Double. Only Paul Milsap to me is fairly blameless. Points in the Paint. Many turnovers in the 2nd quarter leading to transition baskets. This new "Baseline Defense" is worthless. Bell clearly cannot start for this team. CJ is a usual disappointment. Tinsley ran the point better than Watson frankly. I am sorry we have good talent. It is no focus. You cannot look good one play on offense and defense out of 3. It is like being good on 1st and 2nd down and giving up the big play on 3rd. Hope for better. This should be a borderline playoff team on talent. I have no faith at this point in Corbin

• Mr. C St. George, UT
    Dec. 28, 2011 10:17 p.m.

This team will be sold in the near future

• Wombat1247 Mount Beauty, VIC
    Dec. 28, 2011 10:24 p.m.

Bell, Harris & Jefferson need to go - I don't catre about win loss this year , just need to get mins into the young guys. They need time and mins to develop.

Surprised with Tinsly's effort, he ran the team much better than Harris

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    Dec. 28, 2011 10:27 p.m.

i bet you guys kinda miss Jerry Sloan...is there a Durant-like player on the upcoming draft? they say its one of the deepest....since we are losing at an average of 21 pts per game....might as well go 0-66...we get a new NBA record for the team who didnt win a single contest in a season...and while we are at it...trade Al Jefferson..Paul Millsap...CJ Miles...Raja Bell...for lottery picks for next year...im so frustrated i have to to akihabara to buy a new TV...because i just destroyed mine watching the my favorite team...play basketball like 5 yr olds...im still a fan though...its going to be a long year....at least fantasy wise...Hayward did pretty good...10 points 7 dimes...

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    Dec. 28, 2011 10:31 p.m.

Whoever pulled the plug on Ronny Price should be made to walk the plank...Hello, is there anyone up there in the front office????

• camera2head west jordan, utah
    Dec. 28, 2011 10:37 p.m.

CJ needs to go as well.Talk about a blackhole. We chose to keep this guy over Mathews.

• MR Draper, UT
    Dec. 28, 2011 11:02 p.m.

This is unwatchable basketball. Tyrone Corbin's record as a head coach: 8-22. Stop the madness please! Did we even run a set play? What defense was that?

• jp3 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 28, 2011 11:08 p.m.

We should have drafted Kemba Walker or Brandon Knight--we needed a floor leader and a scorer, someone with heart and fire and energy--didn't need another big man, especially one as un-athletic as Kanter.

• Dukester VANCOUVER, WA
    Dec. 28, 2011 11:09 p.m.

KOA, Greg, Corbin...you better do something! We are really heading the wrong way. Larry is watching and he is one unhappy camper.

• MR Draper, UT
    Dec. 28, 2011 11:13 p.m.

... and by the way, my apologies to Jody who has to watch the game. At least I can give away my ridiculously overpriced tickets.

• Boise Bill Meridian, ID
    Dec. 28, 2011 11:23 p.m.

Ever seen the show Major League? These poor decisions suggest throwing the season to sell or move the team. No one can be this bad by accident.

• SnipeHookyoFace Farmington, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 12:40 a.m.

Yikes! Boston is off to a rough start, think they'd go for Harris/Jefferson for Rondo? The jazz have NO leader on this time. At this point I'd rather see Burks at pg, Hayward at sg, Millsap at sf, Favors at pf, and Kanter at C

• amgolfer Malibu, CA
    Dec. 29, 2011 1:52 a.m.

I have to concur w/ most of you regarding this horrific start. I have lost faith in Corbin as I don't think he is fit to run this team or any other team for that matter. He is an assistant at best. I'm baffled w/ his love affair w/ Bell...unbelievable. Bell needs to hang it up as he is a serious liability to this team. Swallow the pride Bell and get out of dodge. Also, like I have said numerous times last year and I was seriously chastised by many of you for this---HARRIS needs to go. He is horrible and has seriously lost it. He cannot lead this team.....below average point guard. Package him and get him the heck out of SLC. We need leaders folks and AJ is not the answer either--if he is I'm disappointed he hasn't stepped up. Also, learn to pass the darn ball out of a double team. I could go on but will wait for another day. Very disappointed in what I see but I am not dumb and can see some bright things to come....Go Jazz.

• amgolfer Malibu, CA
    Dec. 29, 2011 1:55 a.m.

Hey Todd, glad to see you're back. What happened last year? I missed some of your comments. I seriously hope the Jazz can get back on track....I know it's early but this start is so painful to watch.....

• Mike in Cedar City Cedar City, Utah
    Dec. 29, 2011 2:20 a.m.

Some progress, but they still don't seem to play defense. But my biggest concern right now is how to get the game on TV. For the last 20 years living in Texas I could reliably get the Jazz games either on a local channel when the Jazz were playing the Mavs, or on Direct TV or Dish's NBA package. Now I have Dish and it does me no good to buy the NBA package because the Jazz are blocked out in the local market, and I have to hunt all over the channel guide to find Root's broadcast, and then the only thing I can get is a JIP (joined in Progress) What do I have to do, move back to Texas to get the Jazz games reliably? If anyone knows something that I don't, I would appreciate a comment.

• forgetyourself Layton, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 2:30 a.m.

I predicted that the Jazz would loose with Bell in the Starting line up before the Jazz even started. It just seems to me that Corbin is in over his head and would make a better asst. than a head coach. I would LOVE to see Matt Harpring as the Head Coach. He loves the game and has big basketball IQ. Corbin is too soft spoken when it comes time to make the change and players reflect the Coach. Al is still a good player but I think the system Corbin is trying to implement is not working. Players are not running plays. I also said it before do not Discount Tinsley's worth. Tinsley is better than Harris and if you watch old tapes of him he was amazing and still is.

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    Dec. 29, 2011 2:37 a.m.

Just a special reminder that Denver's bench was out on the wood most of the 4th quarter. George Karl doesn't like to run up the score!

• John Wicks Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 4:41 a.m.

The Jazz 7 year love affair with C.J. needs to end. Bell should just be bought out and quietly leave. 2 Points for a shooting guard just does not cut it. Burks needs to start regardless of what Harpring says. And by the way would someone tell Harpring the oily hair look went out years ago.

• Fan WVC Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 5:27 a.m.

I'm not the coach or the player,so why say anything negative.That's already been done by everyone else.I thought the team played alot better. 100 points. The offense is looking better than previous game.Love the amount of playing time the younger players are getting.I will just sit back and patiently wait and watch the growth of this team.I enjoyed the whole game.Good job coach,they're working harder for you.

• Weber State Graduate Clearfield, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 6:46 a.m.

Trying to be patient, but the old name "Utah Spazz" seems to be ringing louder and louder.

• The Dixie Kid Saint George, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 6:57 a.m.

Enes Kantor=Bust.

• FreeMan Heber City, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 7:17 a.m.

Watching Kings basketball these days. The Jazz stink.

• BlameItOnTheOfficials Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 7:18 a.m.

I'm speechless. This is going to be an ugly season.

• scodyshootfight KC, MO
    Dec. 29, 2011 7:36 a.m.

Jazz have a lot of talent but talent is too unbalanced. The bigs can all score in the low post but they don't compliment each other. When one gets the ball, the others have to stand and watch. Ideally you would have a 4 that can draw a double team, and a 5 that can really rebound and defend. Right now we have like 5 power forwards that all score pretty well but don't actually inhibit each other rather than compliment each other. There's not enough ball to go around to allow their bigs to get in a groove and be effective. When one excels, it is at the expense of the other.

The Jazz have a lot of assets, but they are going to have to balance their roster before they start seeing the W's.

• scodyshootfight KC, MO
    Dec. 29, 2011 7:39 a.m.

And Raja, I appreciate all your years of service back in the day, but it is time to retire. Seriously you are dragging the team down. You are what Jazz basketball is all about, but father time has caught up. Raja on the floor inhibits playing time of way better guards and gives us ZERO chance to win. There is not a more terrible starting shooting guard in the game right now.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 7:57 a.m.

Could it be this team just isn't very good? And could it be Utah badly misses Jerry Sloan who was able to squeeze more out of mediocre talent?

• NotBuyingIt MIDVALE, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 8:08 a.m.

The Jazz's days in Utah are numbered. It was likely that they would eventually leave after the death of Larry Miller. But the deal was sealed when Greg Miller let Deron Williams force Jerry Sloan into retirement. The fact that he realized his mistake and traded D-Will was too little, too late. The franchise no longer has anyone at the wheel. Tyrone Corbin is a fine man and a good assistant, but clearly has no idea how to be a head coach in the NBA. The Jazz will continue to struggle, attendance will drop and the team will be sold and moved. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.......

• Jazzledazzle Provo, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 8:23 a.m.

Here are some numbers from last night's game:

-The Jazz had 22 turnovers, Denver had 18
    -The Jazz lost the rebound battle 45-39
    -The Jazz gave up 68 pts. in the paint
    -The free throws were pretty much even, Denver shot 1 more
    -The most mins any Jazz player played was 30 by Al Jefferson, the least was 10 minutes by Tinsley
    -Millsap played only 22 minutes, and was not in foul trouble (He put up 13 points and 8 rebs in that time

From a statistic standpoint, the Jazz made more 3 pointers and free throws were pretty much even. This game was lost by points in the paint and Denver was running. I still think the Jazz shoudl push the ball.

I think what Corbin is doing is giving everyone minutes, kind of in pre season mode to figure out a rotation. I think that rotation will tighten up after about 10 games. Millsap needs more minutes, and Favors needs to stay out of foul trouble. Burks had 15, but in garbage time. I would like to see some relevant minutes given to him by Corbin.

• Peck34 Enterprise, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 8:42 a.m.

Devin Harris had 2 assists and 2 turnovers in 22 minutes. That is ridiculous for a starting point guard. Step it up Devin!

Well, I guess I'll look on the bright side: Jazz are still undefeated at home.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 8:43 a.m.

And I thought Utah was the worse team in the state.

• Jazzledazzle Provo, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 9:01 a.m.

@ Peck34

Yeah, I am very disappointed in Devin Harris. He has been awful. No defense, no energy. He looks disinterested. I would almost be tempted to just hand the reins to Earl even though he is not a great player. Earl did have 4 turn overs, but I at least feel like he wants to be on the floor and plays with some grit.

• Unlucky HEBER CITY, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 9:01 a.m.

You fans talk about talent. There is talent but not star talent. There is no passion for winning in any of the players or coaches. That left with Jerry and Deron. Each player is in for themselves, no chemistry and no star talent adds up to bad team. They will get at least the 4th pick in the draft next year, but I think Golden State makes the playoffs so their pick will be about 18 or 19. Projects never become stars in the NBA and that is what the Jazz are made up of. Projects, that will never become stars because they lack the desire to win at all cost. You don't need patience you need some guys who want to win. Tell me what team would want Jefferson, Harris, Bell or CJ. You're stuck for the next two years with them. The young guys will pick up on their loser attitude and never attain what you think they will. Oh well at least I can laugh at Prtland Trailblazer cooments trashing you.

• redcliffs Ivins, Utah
    Dec. 29, 2011 9:10 a.m.

I don't even know where to start in addressing the comments I've seen posted here. I've said it before, it's going to take at least 20 games for this team to start figuring out who they are, and no, they are not going to make the playoffs. If we are not seeing progress after 20 games then maybe we can start talking about whether the coaching is effective or not. This team is too young to be expecting great things right now. And I've seen at least 2 comments about Kantor being a bust! You've got to be kidding to say that after 2 games!! Come on and get a grip people. If you all start showing up at Jazz games booing the coach and players you are going to even push this team back more. Give them some time please!!

• B Russ Ephraim, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 9:10 a.m.

Only two games into the regular season it is obvious that Jamaal Tinsley is the best playmaker point guard on the roster. The only time the offense has flowed is when he is on the floor. Another obvious is that Bell is the worst "shooting" guard in the league. Bell and Harris are dragging this team down and need to be moved in favor of Tinsley and Burks. Those two changes "have" to happen before we can ever get this team on track.

• pcguy PARK CITY, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 9:16 a.m.

To paraphrase Forest Gump, " mediocre is as mediocre does". It is going to be a really long season.

• CAN'T WAIT Cedar City, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 9:18 a.m.

WoW I thought these guys were professional basketball players. They shouldn't have to be told to work hard for the money they are making. Corbin isn't the answer. Raja Bell, CJ Miles, and Devin Harris need to go. We need to find a floor leader. (Ricky Green, John Stockton, D-Will) that's what kept things rolling in the past. I think the young guys are great we have talent and it's good that we have a couple first round picks next year, but let's take care of business now and play like the Jazz of old.

• Hugh G. Hater SLC, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 9:24 a.m.

You get what you pay for*

*= exception to the rule is AK

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    Dec. 29, 2011 9:24 a.m.

To keep Millsap on the bench until we are already down 20, and then bring him in is just stupid. I am not a coach, but clearly that method isn't working. Neither is playing CJ Miles at any point during a game that we want to win. He is a defensive liability and spotty offense at best.

• Old Timer the boonies, mexico
    Dec. 29, 2011 9:33 a.m.

I agree with most of you now that Bell, C.J. Harris & Jefferson need to watch the start of games for awhile. Favors needs to pull his head out too, Kanter in his defense has never played any college ball, no summer league, no fall camp and no preseason. What really should we expect? Give him a couple years before grading him. I don't know how he got rated so high by draft experts this year lacking all of this, but just being on Kentucky's team and not eligible to play doesn't qualify for a top pick I don't think. He needs time, he's a project not a contributor right now.
    I would start Tinsley if he's conditioned and fit, with Hayward, Milsap, Howard and Favors if I were the coach and the first reserves would be Evans Jefferson, Kanter, Burks & either Watson or Harris. C.J. & Bell would be regulated to cheerleaders until I could unload them somehow.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 9:43 a.m.

for the first time as a Jazz fan I'm completely embarrassed! What a sham, KOC and Greg Miller ruined this team forcing Sloan out the door.
    Corbin can't get his players to do anything, they all know management won't do anything about their terrible play and horrible effort.
    And if I have to hear Dimples bolerjack make up lame excuses for this pathetic team, and try and tell us to be patient I may scream. Stop the excuses, call this team what it is....a terrible, selfish, lazy, talentless excuse for an NBA team.
    Get rid of KOC and find someone with some integrity to run the franchise.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Dec. 29, 2011 9:46 a.m.

Is it as apparent to the rest of you as it is to me that Harris can't run the team? He's no PG. He's a 2.

The Jazz are saddled with three backup PGs and no starter-quality PG. These three are developed, PG-wise, as far as they'll ever go. Sad for the Jazz.

THAT's why I was so adamant about drafting Jimmer. Even over Kanter. He still has upside as a PG, because he understands how to involve teammates. He's already, in just two games, shown he can be a positive influence on his team---he's among the team leaders in the plus-minus stat, and they're starting PG, Tyreke, isn't.

I fully expect Jimmer to get used to the pro game (currently looks like a fish out of water at times) as time goes on, and take the starting PG reigns from Tyreke, allowing the latter to be the starting 2, his natural position.

• nothegame Saratoga Springs, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 10:01 a.m.

I agree Bell is bad. 2 back door cuts he is still looking to see where his man went. Harris i don't know what to think. He doesn't even look like he wants to be there.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 10:06 a.m.

I agree with those of you who complain about Bell, I also agree with those who complain about Harris, I can't stand his game, he is a shoot first point and he is playing terrible defense. We need someone other than Harris at the point. My preference (but he isn't ready yet)is to put Burks at the point, he has great handles and is a good passer and creator. Putting Big Al and Favors on the floor at the same time doesn't work, Big Al dominates the ball and Favors watches and doesn't get involved. Coaches need to see what is happening and get Favors involved. Getting Favors involved on offense will also energize him on D and he will play that much better all around.
    I like what I see in Kanter, he is tough, he hustles and his offense will come around, he is just nervous and rushing things on offense. Hayward will continue to get better, CJ so far is CJ good at times but very inconsistent, I'm hoping he shows some consistency, if not trade him. Milsap is the consummate pro, we need to trade Big Al.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Dec. 29, 2011 10:06 a.m.

Best line-up for the Jazz from what I've seen so far:

PG - Watson, Tinsley, Burks
    SG - Hayward, Harris, Miles, Burks, Bell
    SF - Kirilenko, Miles, Evans, Howard
    PF - Favors, Millsap
    C - Kanter, Jefferson

Yup, I believe they'd be smart to bring AK back at SF, allowing Hayward to play at 2.

I have listed some players twice where the could play backup at both positions.

I have Watson as starter because, even though he's not a true starter, he's been more effective at running the team than has Harris; and, I think Burks would do better than Harris as a PG backup, even though Burks is thought of as a 2, which position is quite crowded, anyway.

Millsap and Miles are needed for bench production.

I have Kanter over Jefferson due to defense and the need to develop Kanter as fast as possible.

There really isn't (potentially) any bench-warmers on the team right now, outside of maybe Tinsley, yet he'd be the backup PG if Harris is moved to 2.

This team's in trouble because they can't penetrate. In spite of Harris so-called speed, he either doesn't have the mind to penetrate, or can't. Denver did!

• Duh west jordan, ut
    Dec. 29, 2011 10:08 a.m.

Any bets as to when the Jazz get their first win? Someone posted they would get 18 this year, ha ha ha, yeah right. Good luck with that one.

• cedar Holladay, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 10:11 a.m.

Jezz give the kids a chance. go they have to win the championship the first year. they will be ok. they have not had a reasonable preseason and been on strike and they will be a learning team this year but we str blessed to have a major league team. if you don't like it watch bowling for dollars and us real fans will stick with the jazz to the end.
    thanks.

• golfrUte SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 10:21 a.m.

Gotta love Matador defense. This team is awful, no toughness. Brutal to watch.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Dec. 29, 2011 10:30 a.m.

I think the real problem with the Jazz is that their young talent really isn't very talented.

If you believed what you read around here, you'd be convinced that Burks, Evans, Favors, Hayward, Kanter, and Miles are all future all-stars. But the reality is none of them are very good. In fact, I don't think any of them would make any other roster in the NBA. Only the grace of the Jazz is keeping them in the league...call it the "Greg Ostertag Effect" if you want.

• cedar Holladay, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 10:31 a.m.

Also if the bad referees would quit picking on the rookies like favors he could get his game together as he will be a great player but the always have to give him his two fouls in the first couple of minutes. i see bavata is still back. he should be gone as i seen him blow a easy call the other day and every one was shocked. he needs glasses anf go fishing as he is the one who cost us the championship on the chicago series years back when he took three points away from us on a three pointer with over a second to go on the time clock. ugh.

• Captain Kanab, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 10:38 a.m.

Fair weather fans. I hate em. The worst people on the face of the earth. If the Jazz move, I move. If I didnt live 5 hours away I would go to as many games as I could, regardless if they are bad or not. I try to make it to at least one or two even if I have to travel. You all say Larry H would be disappointed in this Jazz front office, but i think he would be more disappointed in some of the terrible fans. The Jazz are known for the best most loyal fans in the NBA and then once there is a bad season true colors show. Now down to basketball, I had real confidence that Bell would have a good year. Im sad to say that i was wrong, he needs to sit and help Burks develop into the player that Raja use to be, a tough hard nosed defender who could knock down a shot when needed. Please bring in Malone to help develop Favors, and maybe a guy like Mark Eaton to help Kanter with his shot blocking. Start Sweetness and let him grab boards and knock down those sweet jumpers.

• Jazzledazzle Provo, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 10:39 a.m.

@ Not buying it

The Jazz miss the playoff twice in almost 3 decades, have some of the best attendance in the NBA. They are a stamp of success and stability. I do not care if they have won a title or not, the amount of success they have had is impressive. The Jazz are not going anywhere.

• cyruszuo LAKE FOREST, CA
    Dec. 29, 2011 10:43 a.m.

It's clear this team is terrible, and I don't understand why Corbin was given a 2 year contract after his short time of miserable failing with the team last year.

I can say that if Corbin can somehow make this team have a winning record I will absolutely change my opinion, fess up that I was totally wrong, and say he's a good coach.

I don't expect that will happen, but I'd be smiling broadly if it did. Until then I'll watch the Kings and the guard the Jazz should have drafted.

• Captain Kanab, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 11:05 a.m.

Can someone tell me why Jimmer would have been a good BASKETBALL decision at 3. Notice I said basketball no business. I dont want to hear anything about jersey sales, attendence. I love Jimmer dont get me wrong, but dont we already have a shoot first, weak defense PG on our team, you know the one everyone complains about. The only differences are ours is faster and more experianced. So go ahead, tell me, why Jimmer?

P.S. the guy we did take at 3 is a rebounding machine. Something the Jazz needed!!

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Dec. 29, 2011 11:22 a.m.

@cedar

Typical Jazz fan, blaming the refs for your team's lack of talent/effort.

Oh, and next Christmas, ask for a new keyboard with a working shift key.

• Anonymous Infinity American Fork, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 11:30 a.m.

Hey you bandwagon fans...quit ragging on my Jazz. We know what we have, and what the rest of league has. So just wake up and encourage the guys to not hang their heads. It's not about coaching in the NBA, it's about having talent on the floor. This team is a work in progress. Give us all a break you ragheads and try to be realistic. We know who the teams are that will compete for the trophy. Enjoy the ride, and quit trying to blow us message boarders up every time you get on it. You have to love it baby, and go Jazz. The NBA is the only show in town. Let's support it.

• Jazzledazzle Provo, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 11:41 a.m.

@ Captain

Well said. Best comment I have read yet.

• Jazzledazzle Provo, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 11:44 a.m.

The player I have been most disappointed in is Devin Harris. I feel his problem is a lack of interest and desire. No defense, no assists, no grit. Would rather see Earl and Tinsley, even if they are inferior.

• Noodlekaboodle Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 12:18 p.m.

You whining fans are the same ones that called for KOC's head after they rebuilt the team when Stockton and Malone retired. I actually have faith that KOC knows what he is doing. He rebuilt a team that made the Western Conference Finals a few years ago, Why can't he do it again? After next season the only players under contract will be on rookie deals. Suck it up. No team, not even the Lakers or Celtics is championship caliber every year. This will be a bad year. But with a rookie coach(I don't count last season, Phil Jackson would have lost 15 of the last 28 games in the situation Corbin was in) And only one vet who is a great player(Millsap) What did you expect? They will have G.S. draft pick, and a great pick of their own, I really think the Jazz will be in the playoffs in 2 years tops.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 12:43 p.m.

If the Jazz do play terrible all year and get two very good lottery picks in this very strong draft we would have a lot of very good talent and than maybe we could do like Boston or the Clippers and trade some of the young talent to acquire a star that can be a leader and a go to guy.

• JazzyMan Meadow, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 12:49 p.m.

Captain and Noodlekaboodle, I totally agree with you guys regarding the fair weather/instant gratification fans that have shown up on both the Salt Lake Tribune and Deseret news. The fact that some of these posters are already quitting on the Jazz mekes me wonder where they are in their own lives.We have become a society of people that live for instant gratification and do not want to put in any hard lasting effort. ie. (Mexicans do the field work and orientals do the science type of country)The last thing these players need is the fans being down on them,booing them at games.Let's please be patient and more understanding of Coach Corbin and these young players and give them a fair and honest chance to succeed. It breaks my heart to see the Jazz get pounded on ,but that doesn't mean I'm acting like a brat .The posters who are forecasting the sale of the Jazz team "especially" seem to me to be fulltime doomer gloomers.Josh Howard and Earl Watson have both remarked how well the fans have supported this team and how it was a major factor in their decision to join the Jazz

• satch Highland, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 12:56 p.m.

I would be surprised if the jazz won 10 games. I'm trying to be realistic. Losing to the Lakers on there 3rd of three in a row said it all. The veterans players aren't very good (Bell, CJ Miles, Al Jefferson).

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and expecting a different result. Maybe it's time to try some new players, different offense, and maybe some defense.

• GoColts Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 1:26 p.m.

I always heard that Utah fans were the worst and, as one, I was always quick to defend us. Thank you everyone for proving me wrong and them right. It is ridiculous how fast so many people can jump ship and start trash talking. I mean clearly an NBA team wouldn't ever run a play. Clearly the coaches are choosing the worst players in practice to play each night. And obviously a coach and GM that were a big part of over 20 straight playoff appearances know much less more about the game than we do. Get a grip people. With such a new team and no time to practice together before the season, this was expected. It isn't like we did much better at the beginning of the season last year (which we soon turned into a great start). Sure, we might be pretty bad this year. But the least you can do is support them. Quit being the horrible Jazz fans everyone else thinks we are. We're better then that.

• COOL HAND LUKE Watching, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 1:29 p.m.

Phewww.. That game was hard to watch! CJ tweeted the night after the Laker game, "Everything goin' be aight" I tweeted back. "Really" start playing some hard nosed D, and if your going to foul someone, hammer them. You knew Kobe had a right hand issue, foul him hard on his right hand.. Especially if its on an open court layup.
    These guys need to find an identity, yes it will take some time. But for pete's sake if your D isn't working Corbin, switch to a zone D.. Seriously, I coach that to my 14yr old basket ball rec team. A coach needs to pay attention out there and make changes when the wheels seem to be coming off the bus. I would like to see some attitude from the Jazz staff and players. Yell at a ref that totally blows a call. Talk at the other players, get in their heads. No More Political Correctness! Grow some spines

Peace out :)

• Vince the boonies, mexico
    Dec. 29, 2011 1:40 p.m.

Attention O'Connor. Oklahoma City has dissension problems right now with Westbrook. Get on the phone and work a multi team trade and get Westbrook here, he is exactly what we need. I don't care if we give up draft picks or players like C.J. Harris, Bell, Jefferson or 1 of our young players but we need a point guard that can distribute and score, Westbrook can do both and doesn't like being second fiddle to Durrant. Just do it while the iron is hot!

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    Dec. 29, 2011 1:56 p.m.

The offense starts with the point guard and the Jazz do not have one. Harris doesn't have any passion for the game. He could care-a-less about playing hard. He is a headcase.

Second, the offense stops as soon as Jefferson touches the ball.

Third, With Harris, Bell and Hayward on the floor starting, there is no offense or scoring. They pass the ball around with no chance of scoring from the outside. Harris needs to attack the basket.

Love the CJ bashing. He goes 3 for 4 from downtown. My math calculation is that is 75% shooting from behind the line.

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 2:14 p.m.

Nothing better than watching that team from Utah getting blown out there 1st 2 games, Maybe Philly can keep the streak going?

• Mitchell_12 Ogden, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 3:09 p.m.

We need to be a run and gun team. We are young enough, and that's the easiest way to score in the NBA. Plus our half court offense is terrible. Corbin please sit Raja and CJ and let the young guys run! To everyone that thinks devin is a bad player... He's not. This system just doesn't compliment his skills. The coach needs to change to the players, not the player change for the coach.

• Ted's of Beverly Hills Las Vegas, Nevada
    Dec. 29, 2011 5:01 p.m.

@ Dixie, Kanter's a bust? Wait, really? Troll much?

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 5:09 p.m.

I've posted a few whines, myself. Am I quitting on the Jazz? No. Am I disgusted? Yes.

KOC has told us all that this is NOT a rebuilding year. Coach Corbin has told us he is implementing his offensive and defensive schemes. It turns out we have simply been misled.

Coming out of a lockout, where our own Greg Miller locked the doors and told his players to stay away, and coming into a season with a dynamic, athletic, young team saying we're pushing for the playoffs--we've just been lied to. I was expecting honesty or better effort.

Coach Corbin's playbook is taken right out of West High School's playbook. The schemes are simple and easily defended in the NBA, and I'm hard pressed to say we have a defensive scheme, unless you count "zone."

In a nutshell, we are essentially throwing this season away, and I'm lowering my expectations. We are playing a jump shooting game even though we just dumped our last shooter.

The Utah Jazz have fallen hard and fast. I will still watch and see which players are going to make the cut for next season, what we're really preparing for.

• amgolfer Malibu, CA
    Dec. 29, 2011 5:09 p.m.

@ Vince--not a chance partner. Westbrook will never be a Jazz. If anything he wants to be in a big market and OK City will most likely not keep him. He seems to have a lot of attitude and I don't want him b/c it won't work long-term in UT. Just my opinion. Let me know your thoughts on that...

I know a lot of you land basted me last season for calling out your boy Harris. Man was I torn up one side and down another for saying he is not he answer and not even a top 20 PG. It's interesting how most of the forum is now land blasting him and they all want his head. People this isn't surprising at all.......He is not a TRUE PG...

• pate123 willard, ut
    Dec. 29, 2011 5:30 p.m.

@ CJ Miles 3-4 behind the line last night,but honestly only one wasn't in garbage time, what else did he do; get beat by his man all night long. Oh, and how did he do shooting in LA 1-8; not too good my friend, he'll be part of a trade hopefully!

• Mr.Reality Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 5:53 p.m.

Jazzledazzle @10:39

The two guys who were the heart and soul of the Jazz franchise during that period were Larry Miller and Jerry Sloan and they are both gone and they will be difficult, if not impossible, to replace. Sad to say, because I love the Jazz, but I agree with "Notbuyingit". It will take a miracle to keep the Jazz in town and miracles are in short supply......

• NYJazzFan East Elmhurst, NY
    Dec. 29, 2011 6:00 p.m.

Jazz look bad but no need to panic.. someone just needs to impress upon Corbin that he needs to use a different lineup that is ideal for winning now but also develops the younger guys.. my suggestions:

PG: Harris - he will snap out of his funk
    SG: Miles
    SF: Hayward
    PF: Favors
    C: Jefferson

Bench
    PG: Tinsley
    SG: Burks
    SF: Howard
    PF: Milsap
    C: Favors

Bell is just about done and Evans is too one-dimensional.. I hate to say it but I said it before, Kanter was a severe waste of a pick.. he is a 2nd rounder at best..

• Mr.Reality Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 6:14 p.m.

Go Colts:

Jazz fans are great. But lets not kid ourselves. The two backbones of the franchise (Larry Miller and Jerry Sloan) are gone. The loss of Larry could not be prevented. The loss of Jerry Sloan was entirely preventable and would NEVER have happened if Larry was still around. It was due to foolishness on the part of the people who are now in charge. Unless you know of someone to replace Larry and/or Jerry, Jazz fans will never have anything to cheer about. And Jazz fans know it......

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Dec. 29, 2011 7:59 p.m.

NYJazzfan: I like your lineups except for your comments about Kanter, your dead wrong about him and he will prove to be verymuch worth the #3 pick. Jefferson is the big that needs to be traded, he is a black hole and Favors can't get into the offense with Jefferson donmiating the ball. We need to move Jefferson for a good, pass first point.

• amgolfer Malibu, CA
    Dec. 29, 2011 11:37 p.m.

@NYJazzfan--you better hope Harris snaps out of it. There are not excuses at this point. I would have welcomed Felton any day. If we can get a "true" point guard that can lead this time I will welcome it......I refuse to be hard on "rookies" at this point. It's a tough transition into the NBA. I think your analysis of Kanter is a little severe. He can bang and he is 19 so let's not forget that. Was I in favor of taking him at #3--NO and I was vocal about it. But let's give him a chance and see what he can do. Hopefully he can be a productive bench guy. He has already proven he can rebound ...now if he can relax and learn he may be okay. If he can give us 10 boards and 8-10 points I am happy as most people will be.

@Captain L--I know you agree w/ me regarding Harris. He is a #2 or a backup at best.....the guy can't penetrate and create. His plays no D......he better step it up as I will not let up on him...he knows better..Go Jazz..

• CJ Murray, UT
    Dec. 30, 2011 8:25 a.m.

Lend me a point guard, Devin is a great guy but doesn't run the team very well at all. They are a ship without a rudder.