View from the Booth: Kyle Whittingham has a key decision to make to ensure Utes' offensive success

Comments

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 8:41 p.m.

I'm pretty sure Leach is coaching in the pac12 north, not the south.

• Ken Sandy, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 9:03 p.m.

I think it's most likely Gary Crowton. He was just demoted at Maryland. Like Chow, a great offensive mind. Also like Chow, he'll like nothing more than beating up on his previous employer.

• deseret pete robertson, Wy
    Dec. 22, 2011 9:41 p.m.

Maybe he should look at some of the folks who post on articles about Doman's work at BYU.They seem to know quite a bit about what needs to be done.

• Portland Beavers SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 10:15 p.m.

@duckhunter

WOW, first up on a Utah article again. Thanks for clearing it up where Leach is going to coach, since Riley did not say one thing about it in the article other then he was one of the new PAC-12 coaches. We get to see Washington State in our place next year a little bit later in the season, you guys open up with them I have heard.

Have a great Christmas, lots of things to discuss in the upcoming year.

• Portland Beavers SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 10:17 p.m.

One name that wasn't mentioned, Mike McKoy he's going to come home.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Dec. 22, 2011 10:38 p.m.

I wouldn't be surprised if Whit picks someone with true blue experience. On the hill, U seem to really like folks who have ties to BYU to fill your coaching vacancies.

I'm betting on Crowton.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 12:09 a.m.

Good luck coach Chow it's very well deserved and we wish you the best. I'm sure he will do great things at Hawaii.

As far as his replacement goes, I'm sure Whit will do a good job in finding a good coach. He has had to deal with replacing coordinators a number of times now and I'm confident he will make a good choice.

I still love to see how many byu fans post on Utah articles. It speaks volumes to how satisfied you are with your own program. I'm not asking for debate it just is what it is.

Go Utes and good luck in the Sun Bowl

• che loco Springville, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 12:44 a.m.

Crowton doesn't run the West Coast Offense. Though I'm not totally ruling him out, I don't think that it's likely.

• chicagoborn WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 8:13 a.m.

@CougFaninTX
    Yeah it's funny how people associated with BYU are so willingly to leave that program for Utah. It seems that they outgrow the football program at BYU and want something better.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Dec. 23, 2011 8:47 a.m.

Please...not Crowton!

• nothegame Saratoga Springs, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 9:26 a.m.

Good luck to Chow. I hope that the offense is more open then just the pro style. With the pro style offense it seems to me that you have to have more talent to be good. With the spred u can get away with less talent. We are never going to get better athlets than USC, UofO or a lot of other pac 12 teams.

• TroyTown Anaheim, CA
    Dec. 23, 2011 12:14 p.m.

chicagoborn

Yeah it's funny how people associated with [Utah] are so willingly to leave that program... It seems that they outgrow the football program at [Utah] and want something better.

--see Chow(Hawaii), Anderson(Utah State), and Ludwig(SDSU)

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 12:18 p.m.

@the beav

"Thanks for clearing it up where Leach is going to coach, since Riley did not say one thing about it in the article other then he was one of the new PAC-12 coaches."

Actually that is what the article said and it has now been edited after I pointed it out in my post.

Thanks once again with your obsession with me.

LOL!

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Dec. 23, 2011 2:07 p.m.

@TroyTown

Nice try, but let's take a closer look at your examples, shall we?

Chow - Took a promotion to go to Hawaii...key word there being "promotion".
    Anderson - Took a promotion to go to USU...Key word there being "promotion".
    Ludwig - Didn't outgrow Utah. He got fired. Not quite the same thing.

So it looks like all the coordinators who leave Utah either (a) take a promotion, or (b) left because they got fired.

Now contrast that with all the BYU coaches who make lateral moves to other schools. Seems pretty clear that Utah is a stepping stone to bigger and better things. Also seems pretty clear that people will leave Provo for just about any other job out there.

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    Dec. 23, 2011 2:34 p.m.

Brave Sir Robin

Regardless of your spin, they all left Utah for something better.

• redfeather Palo Alto, CA
    Dec. 23, 2011 3:27 p.m.

timid robin

"Utah is a stepping stone to bigger and better things"

Unfortunately for you, you don't see the irony in your own statement.

• Juice Box Eureka, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 4:22 p.m.

Coach Whit knows what he's doing, he's a no nonsense guy. I look forward to seeing where the program goes.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 5:41 p.m.

CougFan, if we were to hire a guy with BYU ties, my hope would be Brian Billick. It's doubtful he'd get back into coaching with how well he seems to like the broadcasting business, but I think he would be a great fit with his success on similar teams: ball-control offense with a great defense. BYU was definitely a low point for Crowton and he's a much better coordinator than how he coached down there, so I wouldn't be unwilling to have him, just not a favorite.

• Portland Beavers SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 7:43 p.m.

@Ducky

Your welcome, the obsession is mutual.

@redfeather

Anybody that understands the game knows that both Utah and BYU are stepping stones to something better.

@And good old Sports Authority

Regardless of your spin, they all left Utah for something better.

So have all the BYU coaches, even the fired ones.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Dec. 23, 2011 8:11 p.m.

Utah did not fire Ludwig. Ludwig accepted a lateral position to work on Snyder's staff at the Big XII's Kansas State. However, weeks after accepting the KSU job, Ludwig accepted ANOTHER lateral position, this time with Tedford's Pac-10 California. Ludwig struggled at Cal, then took the O.C. spot at SDSU. I don't know if he was fired at Cal, or if he left on his own accord.

I hope Kyle doesn't look internally to replace Chow. Neither Roderick nor Shram are ready.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 9:17 p.m.

@the beav

Actually BYU's history is that its coaches are very loyal and very long term. It is a unique situation with the church affiliation. It is pretty well known that the coaches of many of the sports, head coaches and assitants, take less pay and treat it as a destination which I am sure has a lot to do with most of them being church memebers. It is just unique. Definately not "stepping stone".

Not that being a "stepping stone" program is a bad thing. utah has the right spin on that when they say it simply means they hire good coaches that are desired by bigger schools. If that is true it means they are being successful. It will be interesting to see if being in the pac12 will change that to any extent. That is definately one benefit of being in that conference, it does make it more of a destination and the added revenue should help to keep coaches pay up. We'll see if that happens but logic would say it should.

• EdGrady Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 24, 2011 8:55 a.m.

Look at what Brandon Doman has done with Riley Nelson. The guy is a genius - hire him, please.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Dec. 24, 2011 10:42 a.m.

Not Crowton. Please.

• Portland Beavers SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 24, 2011 5:05 p.m.

@duckhunter

Minor miracle we do agree on some things. BYU has had some great coaches not only in football and basketball. Gary Pullins your old baseball coach did as good a job as could be done while he was there, I'll never understand why he was forced out for Vance. I would also love to have Gordie Eakin for our softball coach, with him being an old Ex-Ute and the competition in the PAC-12 in softball he would be great to have.

With that I hope that we can hold onto our coaches especially football and basketball better. These new basketball coaches I know personally. They should have been given the choice before they hired Boylen. These guys will turn things around, I really hope Hill gives them time. We really have had some fun with this you really know your stuff, but I really, really know my stuff when it comes to utah athletics.

Merry Christmas, and I will see you and all the other y trolls on the flip side.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Dec. 26, 2011 3:09 p.m.

Chow is smart, why would anyone stick around to coach the #110 ranked offense in the nation and a QB he could obviously tell wouldn't get the job done ever.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Dec. 26, 2011 3:11 p.m.

If you were a good OC, why in the world would you wanna coach at the U?
    Just so you can score a TD a game and be ranked a little better than podunky high?

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 26, 2011 4:49 p.m.

jokes-r-us, keepin em comin. Good OC's love Utah for a chance to coach NFL talent without censorship year-in and year-out. Something I wish you could witness sometime, it's really quite special.

• AntelopeValleyUte Palmdale, CA
    Dec. 26, 2011 8:12 p.m.

jokes-on-u, when you hear the name and see the letters, "U-T-A-H", don't fear the name, fear the team. Get use to it, you are going to be hearing it more often, more than your team...Go UTES! =)

• Portland Beavers SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 26, 2011 10:28 p.m.

@jarka-rus

One year dude, challenge to you. Take the last ten years and find and figure out who has had the best offence. It's going to be Utah, much better teams. No comparison when it comes to defence. And that team that was ranked just a little better than podunky high beat your team by 44 pts. I'm almost positive that our offence scored more than one touchdown.

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Dec. 27, 2011 4:13 p.m.

On the article on BYU, cougfanintx is making fun of the trolls commenting on the BYU article. Yet he is always one of the first to comment on anything relating to Utah.

I think Max Hall had the teams' fans mixed up when he made his infamous "classless fans" accusations.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 27, 2011 4:55 p.m.

@gored

Commenting on an article does not make one "classless". Even trading putdowns isn't necessarily "classless". Hating people simply because of their religion, using vulgarity and mocking their religion, those are the things that make people "classless". Engaging in drunken and profane behavior such as a woman drunkenly stripping in front of children and families is classless. Standing on your seat, flipping off the KSL helicopter and screaming "BLANKING MORMONS" every time the helicopter flies over res is "classless" behavior. Posting negative comments on an articles about how a minority player from out of state came to BYU, was converted, and is now converting his entire family, is "classless".

I'm not saying mocking the other team when they stink, like utah's basketball team does currently, is dignified behavior by any means. Nor am I saying that all of the posts from BYU fans are always kind, considerate, or even classy. But there really isn't much of a comparison to be made as to which fanbase has the truly "classless" segment to it.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 28, 2011 12:34 a.m.

Duck, if those characteristics define a fanbase as "classless," I don't think there is a single "classy" fanbase in the world. You're kidding yourself if you think Cougar Nation is entirely separate from that. I know several that fit that description. Everywhere you go, there are people who take things too far.