BYU football: Ross Apo has no intention of leaving Y. program

Comments

• brcougar Woods Cross, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 9:48 p.m.

What a stud. Can't wait to see what he can do in the coming years.

• goodDr. sandy, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 9:48 p.m.

"I never had intentions of leaving. Even if I did have a rough season" and Heaps wonders why he lost the team to Riley. Even the guy who brought him here takes a slap at Jake. Essentially, you can be a quitter like Jake, or you can pay your dues and put in the work like Ross.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Dec. 20, 2011 10:49 p.m.

Hoffman and Apo will become national names the next two years.

Apo and Weeks will be just as widely publicized in 2014.

We have some stud receivers on the team and in the pipeline.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mangum attracts one or two more WRs to LES in the upcoming recruiting class.

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    Dec. 21, 2011 2:45 a.m.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 4:48 a.m.

@CougFaninTX

You said - "Hoffman and Apo will become national names the next two years.

Apo and Weeks will be just as widely publicized in 2014."

Let's just hope the Cougars find a quality QB to get them the ball.

Apo is the man!

• 17-14 Hurts Don't It? Springville, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 6:30 a.m.

When you set your mind to succeed and work hard things typically work that way.

Here's a young man that has seized an opportunity. I'm sure he was hesitant about coming to BYU, unsure about himself and the Honor Code, and now?

Well... Merry Christmas Ute fans, he's staying and your OC isn't!

• The Dixie Kid Saint George, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 6:35 a.m.

I love how Bronco rips on Jake indirectly.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Dec. 21, 2011 7:31 a.m.

Apo had some fantastic catches this year. I hope Nelson will use him effectively. And yes, Apo is correct, BYU is an awesome place.

• loveless center valley, pa
    Dec. 21, 2011 7:50 a.m.

It's nice to read a story about a young man who made a commitment and who is willing to persevere and honor his word despite setbacks. He'll be a better person and player because of his struggles and his willingness to work hard and learn from others.

Jake could learn a lot from Apo.

• BP Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 8:21 a.m.

Anybody with a football IQ knew that Apo was the best grab during that recuiting season (no offense to Jake...it's just easier to know how well a receiver is going to pan out). Texas only offers to INCREDIBLY gifted receivers, which is why I was so impressed that he decommitted from UT-Austin to come to BYU.

I'm not sure that "Honor Code" has seen Apo play in more than one game. Apparently, he doesn't realize that Apo scored touchdowns against Ole Miss, Texas, and Utah (as well as a few WAC teams). However, I do agree with "Honor Code" on one thing: Apo has been far better than his competition all year long. I'm glad to hear that he's staying!

• phantomblade Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 21, 2011 8:24 a.m.

The Dixie Kid

I've been a big supporter of Heaps, but I'm very disappointed in his decision to run from the challenge of losing his starting job. I wish Jake success wherever he ends up, but, directly or indirectly, Jake deserves to be ripped on for being a quitter instead of a fighter.

McMahon > Heaps, and it's not even close

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 9:01 a.m.

But I thought it was going to be "Heaps to Apo" forever? Right Ducky? lol

Atleast this kid has heart and soul. Heaps is basically another "robo qb". Has all the tools but no real love for the game or those that play it.

Good luck Apo, I hope you can recover from what Heaps did to you.

• AZRods Maricopa, AZ
    Dec. 21, 2011 9:13 a.m.

What a difference a year makes eh? Would anyone have imagined a year ago that we'd be talking about Riley and Apo as the scoring combo going into next year?
    It sends a message to all atheletes....God has given you just so much, the rest is up to you. And careers can end on a single play, so enjoy the moment.

To those bustin' on Heaps, I'd say you ought to worry about your own lives and unfullfilled dreams and leave the kid alone. The media and many of us created the "persona" that Heaps himself believed in. Would any of us have done better? Remember, Santa Clause is coming in just 5 days ;)

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Dec. 21, 2011 9:14 a.m.

"Ideally, there's a lot of benefit to a freshman redshirting and learning and getting up in the morning to lift and focusing on school and realizing they want to play," the coach explained. Seems like wise counsel that "coulda, shoulda, woulda" applied to Jake his freshman year. I'm far from a Heaps fan, from the time he stepped onto campus with "cameras and mics" a blazing. But, in his defense, kinda hard to take the keys away from someone after two who's been driving the family car. Especially taking the keys from someone the coaches threw the keys to and said "have fun driving!" I'm glad Apo wants to stay. Look at the stark contrast between the two. Apo is succeeding through hard work, effort and productivity on the field. Heaps may have done the first two, but it was all important third aspect that doomed him. I honestly can't see him succeeding at another college in such a manner that the NFL will be interested in.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Dec. 21, 2011 9:32 a.m.

RE: Honor Code "Apo would not fit in at any other Division I program, he knows it and he knows that playing the likes of a weaker WAC just makes him look good every weekend after the first 4 games!" Very funny. LOL. And your team up north will do what offensively with now your third OC in 3 years and a very unproven, injury-prone QB who's still a question mark. Your offensive skill players are? As your thinking about that, you might want to read the nat'l analysts about Apo and Hoffman. IF they continue to progress as they already have, and that's always a big if as it is with any player, they will easily be playing on Sunday.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 9:39 a.m.

Honorcode
    It is alway entertaining to read your comments. Your attempts to dis-respect your obsession are particularly comical today. Apo is a fantastic talent who will only get better for the next several seasons. In Hoffman and Apo, BYU has the best two receivers in the state of Utah. They would both start at any school in the PAC.
    Love that holiday cheer you peddle. Keep it coming.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    Dec. 21, 2011 9:59 a.m.

Apo is getting better, but a case of the "dropsies" continue to plague his progression. It pains me to say, but Apo will probably develop into a top-tier WR by his senior season.

For the record, 2 of Utah's best WRs didn't play this year in Denham (redshirt due to injury) and Gordon (transfer).

• Luv 2 Troll U Sandy, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 10:03 a.m.

CougFaninTX | 10:49 p.m. Dec. 20, 2011
    Frisco, TX,

Just like Jake Heaps was going to be a national name and even take the Heisman trophy?

Good yes, widely known and famous... no.

BYU fans sure love to hype.

• sportsman101 salt lake city, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 10:04 a.m.

@so. cal reader all the skill positions at ut are better except the qb position. point blank. i would take devonte christopher and dres anderson over apo or hoffman anyday

• Portland Trail Blazers Sandy, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 10:05 a.m.

Honor Code,

FYI, he was commited to Texas before coming to BYU, but according to you I guess the University of Texas isn't Div. I???

So if BYU and Texas are Div. I schools, what does this make Utah? A Div. 9 school?

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Dec. 21, 2011 10:09 a.m.

re: HonorCode - Apo was one of the best Freshman WR's in the country this year. He lived up to his hype. Most Top 25 teams would jump at the chance to have him.

re: ClarkHippo - The QB pipeline at BYU is full even without Heaps.

2012: Nelson, Lark, Munns, (Hill and Olsen to redshirt)
    2013: Munns, Hill, Olsen
    2014: Hill, Olsen, Kuresa (Mangum to redshirt)
    2015: Hill, Mangum, Olsen, Kuresa

• bballjunkie Pleasant Grove, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 10:23 a.m.

Quitter?
    You have to love BYU fans. So does that mean All the guys BYU picked up and are having a impact on this years Cougar team are Quitters? HMMMM seems like we are once again Y fans piling on Heaps for "being a quitter" but it is ok that guys like fangupo, Kaveinga, Tollestrup, Unga, Vea just on this years roster came to BYU after playing and committing elsewhere.

Spin this information Y fan, "quit being so two sided".

Heaps has every right (which I agree with) on leaving. This does not make him a quitter.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 10:31 a.m.

Sportsman101
    "all the skill positions at ut are better except the qb position. point blank. i would take devonte christopher and dres anderson over apo or hoffman anyday"

It is plain to see that you will never be a coach or player developer or talent scout or anything that has to do with football.

Too funny.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Dec. 21, 2011 10:47 a.m.

RE: CougFaninTX "re: ClarkHippo - The QB pipeline at BYU is full even without Heaps.

2012: Nelson, Lark, Munns, (Hill and Olsen to redshirt)
    2013: Munns, Hill, Olsen
    2014: Hill, Olsen, Kuresa (Mangum to redshirt)
    2015: Hill, Mangum, Olsen, Kuresa"

Let me add a wild-card to your names-- Hunter Moore, out of Mission Hills High School in San Marcos, CA (San Diego County). He "grayshirted" this year. He'll redshirt in 2014, after he returns from his mission. Kid exhibits the same leadership skills as Nelson, but possesses a stronger arm. I completely agree with you, the Cougs QB pipeline is very full & looking good! I wonder what type of "pipeline" Heaps is going to find at any credible college that he feels will show-off & fine tune his self-described NFL talent? How about North Dakota State Bison? :-)

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 10:55 a.m.

@utahcountydupe

I never said anything about Heaps to Apo or for that matter even pumped Heaps at all. I have always hoped both would turn out to be great but you'd be hard pressed to find any posts by me predicting greatness for any player. I always take a wait and see approach. I'm also a "just win" guy which means I don't care who the players are or what the statistics are all I care about is winning. Riley or Heaps, Apo, Hoffman or Jacobsen, I just don't care who makes the plays, just as long as someone does. Just win baby, that's all I care about.

I do love how you are so obsessed with me that you bring me into it however. I love that.

@sportsman

Yea that's why utah was one of the worst offenses in D1 and probably was the worst in a so called "major" conference, because their players are so good. LOL!

• loveless center valley, pa
    Dec. 21, 2011 11:00 a.m.

bballjunkie, seriously,dude? Who called Heaps a quitter. Would Heaps be transferring if was still the starter? Of course not!! Heaps was told that he needed to redshirt and learn how to be a college quarterback. He cried, had a tantrum, and he is taking his 'talents' to another school where he will be respected the way he feels he should. I can't remember reading that BM or Doman had given up on Heaps being the starter, just the contrary!! Heaps wanted to the be starter now and forever, regardless if he lost every game!!!!

Quitter no, ENTITLED yes!!

• bballjunkie Pleasant Grove, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 11:38 a.m.

loveless
    Read the posts before talking to find your answer...what a joke! It was said more than once.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    Dec. 21, 2011 11:44 a.m.

Quack,

Utah's offensive woes have nothing to do with the skilled players' (WR, RB, TE)inadequacies. It has to do with the QB play. Hays is not a D-1 QB. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I am still disappointed with how the QB situation was handled.

John White IV was 9th in the country in rushing yards. He's much better than you give him credit for and I will assume that your shortsightedness in this respect has to do with jealousy.

John White IV is a VASTLY superior RB than anyone on the BYU roster.

• loveless center valley, pa
    Dec. 21, 2011 11:47 a.m.

bballjunkie, from what I'm reading, JH is still playing football, still wants to be a starting quarterback, still looking to play in the NFL. No, he's not quitting playing football, he's leaving because he was told that he needed to learn something about playing football. That's not quitting, he's crying!

• Civil Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 11:54 a.m.

Apo has showed more class than just about any commenter on this board -- red or blue:

"Meanwhile, Apo said he wishes Heaps the best.

"I really didn't ask him (why he decided to transfer) and get into it. I'm sure it's the best thing for him and his family," he said. "The bottom line is, it was his choice and I told him I support him 100 percent with whatever he wants to do.""

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 12:17 p.m.

@CougFaninTX 10:09

I hope you're right. I hope these QBs, or at least one or two of them, are able to perform at a high level. We're going to need it, especially against teams such as Texas, Houston and Boise State who BYU is scheduled to play in 2013 and beyond.

@Civil 11:54

I like Apo a lot too. I'm so looking forward to watching him play over the next three years.

• Serenity Now Highland, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 12:35 p.m.

A passionate fan base is great, but Cougar fans need to quit bashing Heaps and his transfer decision. Like another poster mentioned, BYU's roster is full of great players who began college elsewhere (Fangupo, Kaveinga, Nelson, etc.).

Whether it's a divorce, an employee leaving a company, a member leaving a church or other transfer situation, the human tendency to bad-mouth the person leaving is unfortunate and says more about the small-mindedness of the critics than it does of the person leaving...

• BigCougFan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 12:38 p.m.

I didn't ever doubt Apo would stay with the success he's had. Why would he go somewhere else? He's worked for his success and he'll stay to enjoy the results of his efforts.
    Heaps, on the other hand, just doesn't understand that it's necessary to pay his dues. He's been the wonderkid at every level of football he's played in. Now he's unprepared and just expects the success to me handed to him - when it's not, he quits and runs. )Kinda sums up his performance on the field too)

Best of luck to Jake.. Apo is making his own luck and will reap much higher rewards.

• TheTruth801 SLC, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 12:53 p.m.

I find it interesting that a non-LDS player of color has embraced the BYU culture than a LDS church memeber. Maybe BYU needs to recruit more guys like Apo. They are out there by the way.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 21, 2011 1:00 p.m.

DevilishUte

I actually agree with you, to the extent that Utah's skill players are certainly equal to the task. However, "John White IV is a VASTLY superior RB than anyone on the BYU roster," I will take exception with the word VASTLY.

BYU has a running back by committee situation, where JW4 gets nearly all of the opportunities. I think after this year, the cougar RBs will prove to be more than adequate, albeit not better than JW4.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 1:04 p.m.

@devlishdupe

But you see I have acknowledged, and posted, White is a really good rb and probably better than any of BYU's. But outside of that nothing on the utes offensive roster is worth getting excited over, none of them. Their offense is absolutely terrible. You can try to justify it all you want but the fact remains it is really bad.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 1:07 p.m.

Devilishute
    I was with you until you said White was vastly superior to anyone on the BYU roster. You can't be serious. White, who I think is a solid RB, was the product of a very good offensive line, the ability to stay healthy and a desperate need in Utah's backfield(no other decent rb's)White averaged 4.8 yds per carry. Quezada(4.4), Alisa(5.4), Kariya(4.0)Di Luigi(5.2)could have had similar success running behind Utah's offensive line with as many carries as White had. Even David Foote(11.2 ypc), who is way down on BYU's depth chart could have had over a thousand yards with the number of carries White had.
    Turbin or Smith from USU are both better than White averaging 6.2 and 6.4 yds respectively.
    Turbin had 12 more total yds than White on 62 less carries.

Do some homework if you want people to take you seriously.

• loveless center valley, pa
    Dec. 21, 2011 1:15 p.m.

Serentity Now, stop taking things so seriously!! The bantor is meaningless, it has no impact on anything eternal, and it is just plain fun to rant and rave as a fan!!

Go Heaps, win the Heisman!!

I wish I could say I hope the Utes do well, but I think I would be sick and have to repent for lying!!!

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 1:29 p.m.

Hope he stays, he is part of the 54-10 legacy.

• AZJazzFan Gold Canyon, az
    Dec. 21, 2011 1:29 p.m.

Great news, I am glad Apo is staying. He is a quality receiver and more importantly, a quality person. He represents the Y very well.

• Alpine Blue Alpine, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 1:35 p.m.

@ Serenity Now

Please allow me to take exception to your comment about BYU fans bashing on Heaps. Let me remind you that the overwhelming majority of Cougar fans have joined in wishing Jake Heaps and his family the very best wherever he ends up.
    While a relative handful of commenters continue to call him a quitter or whiner, most have been very kind to Jake. From the day of his announcement, we almost universally have wished that he had chosen to stay, redshirt a year, and be the anticipated star in 2013-2014.

Yes, a few continue to bad-mouth him. It is these very few, who along with the Salt Lake media, and numerous Ute trolls that keep the story alive.

Collectively, we will continue to root for Jake Heaps wherever he ends up.

@ DevelishUte

You should be very thankful for JWIV who was the bulk of Ute offense this season. Interesting article today about Norm Chow presiding over the last place offenses in the PAC X+II this past two seasons. 2010 at UCLA and 2011 at Utah. Wish Coach Chow all the very best at Hawai'i.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 1:47 p.m.

@TheTruth

Apo is LDS and was before he ever came to BYU.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 1:56 p.m.

with Heaps gone who is going to throw the ball to Ross?? I guess he had better learn to be a good blocker for Nelson.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    Dec. 21, 2011 2:31 p.m.

"BYU has a running back by committee situation"

Why do you think that is? I would submit that it is because there is not anybody that sticks out or has feature back talent.

"was the product of a very good offensive line"

? You Y's have continually bashed the Utah line. Now they're good? Nice try to change your story midstream in an attempt to prove your point.

"Quezada(4.4), Alisa(5.4), Kariya(4.0)Di Luigi(5.2)"

Keep in mind those averages were against HS teams. None of them would have had those types of averages in the Utah system. How many yards did these guys have against Texas, Utah, TCU?

And the fact remains that they are not in the Utah system. Your argument is not based in fact. It's based on conjecture, a typical BYU fan method.

"Turbin or Smith from USU"

Again, HS schedule and I'm not sure what these guys have to do with a comparison between Utah and BYU players. Care to enlighten me?

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 2:34 p.m.

The comment thread is not complete until Patriot comes in with some remark from out of left field that makes no sense. Someone should remind him that most of Apo's receptions this year came not from Jake Heaps.

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 2:35 p.m.

Got to say I like Apo and Hoffman. Both are turning out to be good receivers and good guys.

Go Utes!

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 3:14 p.m.

Yes, BYU and Apo are "back water" playing back water schools such as Texas, Notre Dame, and especially some low level PAC-12 teams like the utes. We'll do just fine, thank you.

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 3:21 p.m.

54-10 | 1:29 p.m. Dec. 21, 2011

No, the ute 2-8 BB legacy, or perhaps the 17-14 Colorado legacy is more memorable.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 21, 2011 3:42 p.m.

Ah, patriot, why'd ya have to go and do that??? Now you sound like Wayne.

Been watching the reruns on BYUtv and Riley sure has some sweet connections with those two! Had a few against USU with McKay that I'd forgotten about. Sure would be nice to see McKay go out with a bang.

But the point is exactly what Ross said - earning trust with the quarterback. Both Ross and Hoff have done exactly that, laying it all out, taking the hit and hanging on to the ball. When Riley gets it close, which he has done well and is doing better, they seal the deal.

I like that!

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    Dec. 21, 2011 3:49 p.m.

4601

• bigutefan Las Vegas, NV
    Dec. 21, 2011 4:00 p.m.

I will agree with one thing, I think Apo is your most talented player in Provo. But now that Chow is officialy gone, if Heaps ends up in Hawaii, would Apo transfer? Ya never know.

• Allen#2 WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 4:24 p.m.

I think Norm Chow has too much integrity to encourage a good player to leave BYU to go to Hawaii.

It is funny to read Utah fans trash BYU and for BYU fans to not only trash Utah but also trash their own coach and program.

As a fan of neither Utah nor BYU, I think the situation looks better for BYU in their "non-conference" football status than for Utah in the lower tier PAC-12.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 21, 2011 4:43 p.m.

DevilishUte | 2:31 p.m. Dec. 21, 2011
    Tempe, AZ
    "BYU has a running back by committee situation"

• Benderman1 Layton, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 4:45 p.m.

Anyone notice how awesome Nelson played and how good BYU looked against Hawaii? I think it was because he let his playmakers make plays instead of trying to do it all himself. He didn't try to run it himself all the time like he normally does, probably because he was injured. I hope Nelson learned something from that. If he will just look to throw first and be patient in letting the play develop before he gets all happy feet, BYU could be really good. When you have stud receivers like BYU has, the quarterback shouldn't be trying to run it up the middle all the time. He should be spreading the ball around and letting his playmakers make the plays.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 5:21 p.m.

re:Y Grad / Y Dad

Ya and can you imagine what Ross could do with a real QB instead of a Tim Tebow look a like?

• Disgruntled Nephi, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 6:28 p.m.

4601 don't take away 54-10's joy in 54-10. It's obviously all he has!

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 21, 2011 7:03 p.m.

Patriot

Failure to pay attention. He's had a real QB since 4th Q of the Utah State game and both have done just fine, thank you.

But keep trying...

• joecoog North Las Vegas, NV
    Dec. 21, 2011 9:16 p.m.

Alright, I am going to settle all this byu-utah bashing. Although what has happended in the past and what we anticipate in the future is important, what the most important thing is how they are doing right now. Byu basketball and ute ball are not even close-byu wins in a landslide. What about football? If byu wins their bowl game they will finish in the top 25. On the other hand if utah wins their bowl game by 50 they may get some votes but will fall short of the top 25. Case closed.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Dec. 21, 2011 10:28 p.m.

Good for Apo. I didn't realize he was LDS. That may have played a big role in way he chose BYU in the first place...and to stay.

But enough with ripping on Heaps, Y fans. For 8 insufferable months you posted on here how great he was, particularly (as so many, many, many put it)_ in the last 6 games of 2010. I really don't think he's any worse then he was during that stretch. But now that he is transferring, you'd think he was the scum of the Earth.

That's bad form.
    ====
    Hey, PortlandTrailBlazers, Honor Code may hate BYU, but he also dislikes the U. He is NOT a Ute fan, so maybe you could consider that in your next knee-jerk reaction post.

===
    ">>> I think it is because we have four pretty good backs and you have one very good back.> How many yards did White have against Colorado? "
    --Y Dad/Grad

Uh. You do realize he got injured early in the third quarter? Many of his yards came later in the game as he and the O-line wore down defenses. But hey, why not rub it in to an injured player.

Bad form.

• CordonBleu Park City, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 11:49 p.m.

DevilishUte

It's laughable that you try in vain to live in BYU's past to ease the pain of Utah's present.

#40 BYU(9-3) 168-48(78%) during the Dave Rose era, 10 of last 11 versus Utah
    #317 Utah(3-8) 98-102(49%) during the last 7 years, 1 of the last 11 versus BYU

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 22, 2011 5:39 a.m.

MiP | 10:28 p.m. Dec. 21, 2011
    Iowa City, IA

--Y Dad/Grad

Bad form.
    ____

Fair enough, MiP, but in my defense, sometimes cutting and pasting doesnt work too well in the DN comment section, but my intent was still the same.

DevilishUte made the statement that BYUs committee of runningbacks got their average against a bunch of high school teams. I was simply pointing out that Utahs high school opponent was Colorado. 10 carries, 28 yards. Bad form or not, its a fact.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 7:28 a.m.

DevilishUte @ 2;31PM Dec 21
    White ran well against weak teams such as Pitt, Montana State, U of A, WSU, OSU and UCLA, Hardly football powerhouses and roughly the equal of the patsies on USU's / BYU's schedules.

Here is how White did against the 5 teams that Utah lost to
    USC 20 carries for 56 yds
    UW 14 carries for 35 yds
    ASU 17 carries for 85 yds
    CAL 15 carries for 39 yds
    CO 10 carries for 28 yds yup, the mighty Buffalo's who had not won a road game in about 4 years.
    That adds up to a whopping 78 carries for 243 yds. or 3.2 yds per carry.

White is not "vastly superior" to any of the starting running backs in the state. Although I do think he is a good RB, White was the beneficiary of weak opponents, a good O-line to run behind and a desperate need the Utes had for a decent running back because no one else stepped up.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    Dec. 22, 2011 8:52 a.m.

"teams such as Pitt, Montana State, U of A, WSU, OSU and UCLA, Hardly football powerhouses and roughly the equal of the patsies on USU's / BYU's schedules."

No, most of the teams you cited above are not the same as the weak part of BYU's schedule. The teams above have NFL talent on them and the weak part of BYU's schedule may not have even one NFL prospect among the whole lot of them (Idaho, ISU, NMSU, SJSU).
    "As I said earlier Most BYU RB's could have done as well and Quezada, Alisa, Turbin and Smith are most likely better than White."
    False. That is the most absurd argument I may have ever heard on these boards. Even your fellow Cougs will not support you there. If you asked Bronco candidly, he would prefer White over any of his guys. And again, I don't understand how the USU guys are part of the conversation in a Utah-BYU comparison. What part of it don't you understand?
    Why do you continue to say that Utah had a good line when you've bashed their line all year long.
    White finished 9th in the country in rushing. He's good. Face it.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 9:17 a.m.

@devilishute

I love how you are glossing over so many facts here.

utah's coaches wanted to split carries between multiple rb's just like BYU did, but their rb's weren't good enough to do it. langi and the rugby player didn't turn out to be any good at all and utah was forced to overuse white because he was their only good rb. He eventually broke down because of it. white only got all of the yards he got because he lead the country in carries, or was close to it not because the utah coaches prefered it to be that way. white also didn't perform very well against any of the good defenses he faced other than BYU's and his production in that game came after they basicly quit. He had pretty mediocre to bad games against every decent team and even some of the bad ones (colorado ring a bell?).

BYU on the otherhand had 4 good rb's and used them all because they were all capable of doing the job. The production of BYU's rb's actually exceeds whites in ypc and total yards.

I'm not knocking white, he's good, but he's not "vastly" superior by a long shot.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 22, 2011 9:42 a.m.

Devilish

No, I think if you asked Bronco candidly, he would be very happy with his guys. They work together and do what is asked of them. There is nothing wrong with JW4, just not VASTLY superior.

Since you object to the "roughly equivalent" argument, let's look at the common opponent, Oregon State:

Brigham Young Cougars Rush Yds Avg Lng TD FumL
    Riley Nelson 12 87 7.3 22 0 0
    Michael Alisa 20 84 4.2 10 1 0
    JJ Di Luigi 8 74 9.3 41 1 0
    Josh Quezada 3 26 8.7 15 0 0
    Bryan Kariya 3 9 3.0 3 0 0
    Cody Hoffman 1 3 3.0 3 0 0

Utah Utes Rush Yds Avg Lng TD FumL
    John White 35 205 5.9 60 1 0
    Reggie Dunn 2 15 7.5 11 0 0
    Jon Hays 5 6 1.2 18 0 0
    Harvey Langi 1 0 0.0 0 0 0

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 22, 2011 9:57 a.m.

Sorry that didn't line up very well.

Better? Yes. Superior? No. VASTLY superior? Go figure!

For fun, if you add Riley's rushing stats into the picture, you get 46 rushes for 280 yards, an average of 6.1 yards per carry.

Oh, and it was a common opponent, but BYU was away while Utah was home.

Come on, friend, we're throwing you a line here! White carried a tremendous burden for his team, and he did it very well. Let's be friends on this one, hey?

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 10:00 a.m.

devilshute
    What part don't you understand? I have not ever bashed Utah's O-line this season. The only comment I made was about the injuries they sustained in Fall camp and the need to move D linemen to the O line. I was doing nothing more than rehashing what the writers and Ute coaches said.
    You have no idea how many players from the PAC and WAC schools are in the NFL? Find some facts like I did if you want anyone to take you seriously.

White was average at best against every decent defense he faced(3.19 ypc)Look at the numbers. He was not vastly superior to any RB's at BYU.
    If I asked Bronco candidly, openly or in church on Sunday, he would not say he preferred White. What a desperate, "less than intelligent" observation.

White was 9th in the country in total yards. Out of the top 25(total yard) rushers in the country, he was 21st in yards per carry. Out of the top 100 rushers in the country, he was not even in the top 75 in yards per carry.
    Look at the facts next time, it will save you additional embarrassment.

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 10:17 a.m.

@Ducky
    "He had pretty mediocre to bad games against every decent team and even some of the bad ones (colorado ring a bell?)."

Your absolutley right he did tear up really bad teams though. He really tore up the horrible team we played on 09/17/11 in Provo.

You have ripped the Utah offense the last few days several times on these boards, while praising the Y's offense. Then you make a comment like you did above that JW4 had mediocre to bad games against decent teams.

Let me ask you this ducky, how did the Y's offense perform this season against decent teams? Utah, Texas, TCU, even a really bad team in Ole miss?

You continue to make it pretty apparent to both U and Y fans that you have no clue what you're talking about. You give no credit to anything Utah, do nothing but praise the Y even if its not deserving. Numerous times a week you're proven wrong on ridiculous comments you have made but never admit it.

Please do both U and Y fan's a favor and start cheering for Boise St.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    Dec. 22, 2011 10:22 a.m.

Quack,

White was injured in the CO game. Oops. Shows how qualified you are to speak on this matter? No credibility.

Glad you finally admitted - by the way it's taken a long time to get this concession from you - that BYU quit in the Utah-BYU game. So funny!

Y Dad,

Yes, you proved my point. This is a discussion about RBs. Why, then, are you including QB and WR stats in a discussion about RBs????????? Apples and oranges, my friend. You tried to include Utah's QB and WR in the discussion and I give you credit for at least trying to create an equal scenario. However, we have been talking about RBs. White is the best back.

White, a RB, gained the most yards against the common opponent. He also broke off the longest run and was the most productive RB. He would be a feature back in the BYU offense and DiLuigi, or should we call him butterfingers, and company would be watching Heaps hold a clipboard on the sideline.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Dec. 22, 2011 10:33 a.m.

DevilishUte

All of your comments are absurd.

• Blue Rampage Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 10:41 a.m.

Lots of talk about JW4 here, but I would love to have that guy or Robert Turbin at BYU. But BYU has a great stable of backs and don't forget Iona Pritchard coming back next year. We lose JJ and Kariya but bring up backs like Adam Hine who before his mission was recruited by Utah and Stanford.

But this article is about Ross Apo. Somebody said he is LDS. I didn't know that either. But as for the Ute trolls who say he couldn't play anywhere else... How do we respond to that kind of stupidity? How about having been rated the No. 13 WR by Rivals; recruited by Cal, Kansas State, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Texas and Tulsa. Gee, a few big names on that last, but not Utah. I guess they didn't see this one coming.

BYU's depth at TE and WR is the best ever. AND, I'm going out on a limb to say depth at QB is just as good. James Lark actually was ahead of Nelson through most of Fall camp. Jason Munns would be starting for Utah right now if he were on their roster. And Taysom Hill just came home from a mission. Yet-to-be-seen on Taysom, but Stanford was pretty high on him.

Too bad there isn't enough going on in SLC to keep the Utes occupied. Then again, I wouldn't know because I never read their stuff. Well, I did pick up on Norm Chow leaving after one year. Maybe they can find a few more BYU coaches to come in and bail them out.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    Dec. 22, 2011 11:02 a.m.

"BYU's depth at TE and WR is the best ever."

All the people still living in 1984, which is most of you, would disagree with your statement.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    Dec. 22, 2011 11:04 a.m.

If Lark is as good as you all say, why can't he sniff the field against HS opponents?

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 22, 2011 11:15 a.m.

Ah, Devilish,

Reading for comprehension friend! I clipped the entire rushing stats for both teams against a common opponent.

But then for your sake, I focused on the question at hand: our four against your one. Pardon me while I repeat:

"But what you will find is that the "committee" of BYU running backs carried the ball one less time (34 instead of 35) for 12 less yards (193 instead of 205) for a nearly equal average (5.7 instead of 5.9).

Better? Yes. Superior? No. VASTLY superior? Go figure!"

Now if I failed to recognize that you were, in your own Ute way, accepting the olive branch I was offering, I apologize!

Would White get running time in a BYU backfield? Most definitely! Right along with the other 4 worthy candidates.

But you have to admit, when Utah's offense became glaringly one dimensional, and when lowly Colorado decided to sell out and put 8 in the box and force your QB to beat them another way, he wasn't vastly anything. Not saying any one of BYU's running backs would have faired any better, just that BYU enjoyed the benefits of diversification!

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 22, 2011 11:22 a.m.

"Butterfingers" Di Luigi for starters would have burned Colorado coming out of the backfield for a pass, something which Riley can throw to him and he can catch. I don't see where JW4 caught anything in the Oregon State game.

Mind you, getting back to subject, when you have Apo and Hoff, you don't have to through to Di Luigi very often. But I do hope Alisa can develop that added dimension of pass catching as Di Luigi has.

• manaen Buena Park, CA
    Dec. 22, 2011 11:37 a.m.

Thanks, Ross. Class act.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Dec. 22, 2011 11:39 a.m.

DevilishUteee

If White is so good, then why is utah's offense ranked #110 total and #82 in rushing? Even teams like CSU, UTep and Ball State have more rushing yards. It seems to me if they have such a vastly superior RB they should at least be up with Alabama as far as offensive production. Just don't understand.

btw Byu is ranked #54 in rushing. lol

• bballjunkie Pleasant Grove, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 11:48 a.m.

Loveless

Dude! who said anything about Heaps quitting football? They said he quit on the Y. I said that he never quit on the Y he is doing what many on this football team has done (gave several examples in my post just on this year's team) go find a spot that is a better fit. He is not a "quitter" he is smart for looking for a better coaching staff and a better fit that will help him develope.

Read the posts as I mentioned last time.lol

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 12:42 p.m.

@devlishdupe

White was injured in the colorado game, true. But he was only averaging a whopping 2.8 ypc before he was injured right about halftime. Definately subpar.You trying to pretend he got hurt in warmups or something and never even carried the ball is what lacks credibility. Face it, in every statistical categorie you are wrong and we are right. And of course you didn't even address my points about white only getting overworked because the rest of utah's rb's stunk so utah had no choice. BYU on the otherhand has the luxury of real quality depth and they used it.

@2bcsflukes

Bitter? You obviously are. The fact that I am correct is what makes you bitter and angry over my posts. If not you wouldn't be on an article about a BYU wr trying to argue about something you obviously know nothing about. Oh and I love how you act as if you speak for all BYU and utah fans. You may actually speak for utah "fans" as they don't like reading the truth any more than you do, but outside of that you are just blowing hot air. Thanks for making my day!

LOL!

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Dec. 22, 2011 1:47 p.m.

I know nothing about Sports-man101

"all the skill positions at ut are better except the qb position. point blank. i would take devonte christopher and dres anderson over apo or hoffman anyway"

Mull this over friend

Apo a freshman
    3445313.3429 td**
    Christopher a junior
    3858915.5654 td**

Not that much difference for a freshman with fewer receptions! (except in tds, where he dominates Christopher in that regard)
    I would take Apo with 9 td's and Hoffman over any Ute WR.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Dec. 22, 2011 1:52 p.m.

DevilishUte
    Tempe, AZ
    "4601

As bad as this Ute basketball team is - and it is REALLY, REALLY, REALLY bad - we've already "blown" past your 1-26 gem. Kinda."

If you are going to reach back into the annals of history.... well
    1984 nuff said.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Dec. 22, 2011 2:10 p.m.

wow not sure what happened with the numbers, thanks dnews

Apo
    34 453 9 tds

Christopher
    38 589 4 tds

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 2:12 p.m.

@Ducky

I'm on a Y article reading comments as I do from time to time. You on the other hand seem to read and comment on every U article that is printed. Within the first 5 words of your response to me it pretty much proves exactly my point. You say "The fact that I am correct" I never said what you were proven wrong about. Yet you can already say I'm correct because you believe your right about everything, regardless of what anybody thinks.

Enjoy the holiday's Ducky, will you be spending them with the mendenhalls, or out with the families of each recruit in the state? I know you claim to know the families of every recruit in the state, and all the Y coaches.

On a serious note Ducky you can go on posting and thinking that you're always right. That people actually buy that you know Y coaches, recruits, families of the recruits, etc. Just wanted you to know your not fooling anybody it's clear that you don't and are not always right. It's guy's like you that have never even played the game that give fan bases a bad name.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 3:23 p.m.

@2bcsflukes

Then please tell me what I was wrong about. Of course you can't because I am right. The numbers show I am right. The facts are the facts. So all that is left for you to do is try to make it personal, but I don't mind. Actually I love it when utah "fans" like yourself make it personal. It shows two things. One is that I was correct about whatever point I made that set you off. And two is that you are incapable of forming a convincing argument in the other direction. LOL!

So once again my point was white had gawdy numbers because he was utah's only quality rb. utah's coaches didn't want it to be that way but had no choice so that is how it went. white did not perform well against any good team.

BYU had 4 quality rb's and used them all effectively. Their numbers collectively are better than whites and prove my point.

white is a good rb, as I said, but he is not all ute "fans" claim.

Now let's see if you can actually refute the topic. I'm betting you can't so you won't even try.

LOL!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 3:30 p.m.

Oh and flukey, I have never claimed to know any of the college football coaches in this state. I don't know any of them. What I have said is I attended high school with Kyle Whittinghams younger borthers and know them. I did play football against Bronco but do not know him at all.

I also have never claimed to know the parents of every recruit in the state either. I do know the Hansens. Look at my place of residence. I have hs age kids. I coach youth sports. I know many, if not most, of the families of the kids in the Lone Peak and American Fork areas that play sports, a lot of the Lehi kids families as well. Maybe you haven't noticed but Chase Hansen plays at Lone Peak and also played at American Fork. He is the same age as one of my children and he played all of the youth sports around here.

My guess is if you have anything at all to do with your area, you might just know the people in your area that share similar interests as well. But maybe you're just a shut in living in a basement?

• Ballfan6 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 4:02 p.m.

Easy guys. I still stand by what i said a while back, Chase Hansen is the best QB in Utah. To say Apo and Jacobson would start at any pac team is a little stretch, for now at least. There is a lot of jabs going on right now that don't necisarily need to be made. Both the U and the Y had games that they wish they could replay. Thats how sports work.

• bballjunkie Pleasant Grove, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 10:45 a.m.

Ballfan6

Hansen will end up playing defense!