BYU football: 3rd-straight bowl win would be a first for Y.

Comments

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Dec. 21, 2011 2:10 a.m.

I'm a big BYU fan, but it is no huge honor to brag about winning three bowls in a row when they are the LV Bowl, the NM Bowl and the AF Bowl.... It's like braging about 5 wins in a row when our competition was Big Sky and WAC opponents... We're expected to win those games.

I know the "Pollyanna" segments of the Cougar Nation ignore this missed opportunity and simply blow it off, but I believe that it will hurt us down the road... Right now we are viewed in many circles of the NCAA as Prima Donna's and that will also soon begin to negatively impact our scheduling capabilities...

I am personally not very high on Holmoe or Samuelson and on how they handled the Conference Membership negotiations.... I use to be a Corporate Labor Negotiator in my working life and I am pretty sure that if I got Holmoe-like results back then, my career would have been over much sooner.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Dec. 21, 2011 5:47 a.m.

I find it amusing that the MWC has applied for BCS membership. The conference was a strong contender with BYU, Utah, TCU and Air Force. Adding Boise State made BCS membership almost a given, until Utah abandoned the conference and the remaining teams started to look for better options. With four of the top five teams now out of the MWC, I don't even understand how the MWC can think they would be considered.

Wyoming would now be considered one of the top three teams in the MWC, and their defeat to Temple shows where the conference stands.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Dec. 21, 2011 5:50 a.m.

As for BYU, I like their chances against Tulsa. I think both teams have high powered offenses that are capable of scoring a lot of points. The difference in the two teams will be BYU's front seven. I think they will stop Tulsa's running game and force them into a one dimensional passing attack. If BYU minimizes errors and limits turnovers, the Cougs should have their third straight bowl victory and finish the season ranked in the Top 25 with another 10 win season.

Predication: BYU 34, Tulsa 24

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 21, 2011 8:01 a.m.

poyman

Thanks for your reasoned comments without froth. I hate to admit it, but I am probably one of the Pollyanna's you are referring to. I was (am) concerned about the long-term viability of either conference, their BCS standing or even the BCS for that matter, yet over all, I would not have been disappointed to read of the Y's acceptance into either conference.

I do not have the vantage point of having participated in union negotiations, but my employment has kept me close to, with a vested interest in, Education Association negotiations, and I understand the concept of make-or-break benefits. Things that are non-negotiable.

It will be interesting to see if BYU clung tightly to an impossible dream all the way to rock bottom, or if they were the pioneer willing to take a few arrows for a benefit that some day will become standard fare for the Texas's, Notre Dame's and, yes, USC's of the world. Like the cliche says, "In a world of change, you either ride the wave or are crushed by it."

• Levin Hightstown, NJ
    Dec. 21, 2011 8:21 a.m.

Implicit in poyman's critique is that BYU has played Oregon State, Oregon, Cal, UCLA, Arizona, and UTEP in Bronco's tenure. Some of LaVell's notable bowl losses wre to undefeated Marshall and Tulane teams that would get a BCS bid today, as well as Ohio State (3 times), Texas A&M, and Penn State squads. It's good to win the bowl games now, but we really are playing in a different world.

• sportsman101 salt lake city, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 10:10 a.m.

@Levin
    so since byu played them and they were undefeated that year makes them automatically bcs contenders? you sure about that?

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 10:42 a.m.

Sportsman
    Almost all undefeated teams outside a BCS conference have gotten BCS bids in the past 8 years. It has nothing to do with the fact that they played BYU in a bowl and Levin did not claim that. Don't you have anything to contribute to the comment boards other than your dis-respect for your obsession. BYU was playing in bowl games back when Bowl bids were hard to come by. When teams with 8 or 9 wins frequently did not get bowl bids.
    I think you need to be a little more mature if you want to sit at the grown-ups table.

• gchris rock springs, wy
    Dec. 21, 2011 11:44 a.m.

Independence was a bold step for BYU and one that fits their needs and mission. Playing in the Armed Forces Bowl, even if it isn't against a "BCS" school (a grossly overstated qualification, by the way), gives them national tv exposure, a payday that they don't have to share with a conference and another game for loyal fans to see. The true spirit of athletic competition shouldn't require that a team play in a game annointed by a corporate monopoly that would be illegal in any other enterprise. I will be happy to see the BCS meet its demise--good riddance to bad rubbish as the old saying goes. In the meantime, I will enjoy the great competition that my independent university has lined up in the coming years. Free from conference obligations, BYU can schedule games with the best programs in the country and like, every other team, will schedule some weaker but worthy opponents who will enjoy the national stage for a day. Go Cougars.

• niners SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 12:11 p.m.

@ poyman

"I am still hugely disappointed by the fact that we didn't capitalize on our opportunity to join a BCS Conference.... I believe that it will soon hurt this Program and our ability to Recruit."

BYU's ability to recruit will hardly be affected by not being in a BCS conference. The only thing that will hurt BYU recruiting is if they stop winning. BYU's performance on the field is the only thing that will hinder their recruiting. If BYU goes 12-1, 11-2, 13-0 the next 3 years do you really think recruits would be turned off by the fact BYU is not in a BCS conference? No, they will get the same recruits they always have. Now, if BYU goes 8-5, 7-6, 8-5 the next 3 years.... that might affect recruiting negatively, especially with USU on the rise.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 1:17 p.m.

@poyman
    "I know the "Pollyanna" segments of the Cougar Nation ignore this missed opportunity and simply blow it off.... I use to be a Corporate Labor Negotiator in my working life and I am pretty sure that if I got Holmoe-like results back then, my career would have been over much sooner."

Hmmm...so name calling and insulting those that disagree with you was a common labor negotiating ploy that got you successful results back then?

Maybe Holmoe and Samuelson can try that going forward and call names and hurl insults at those who disagree with them when negotiating conference memberships in the future and see how far that gets them.

btw, Merry Christmas to all!

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 1:21 p.m.

@YGrad/YDad
    "In a world of change, you either ride the wave or are crushed by it."

awesome quote!

• SoCalTrueBlue2 San Diego, CA
    Dec. 21, 2011 2:03 p.m.

Must respond to the comment above: "On the whole, this has to be considered a successful Indy debut and certainly a more successful season than the team up north finished with."
    Sorry, but any season in which BYU loses to Utah 54-10 at Lavell Edwards Stadium is not more successful than the season of the team up north. That one embarassing loss trumps overall win-loss records. That one humiliating loss skews my Cougar world's axis. I am a lifelong Cougar fan, and this is my opinion. I am hoping Riley Nelson can lead the Boys in Blue and set my Cougar world's axis back to its proper position next fall at Rice-Eccles Stadium.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Dec. 21, 2011 2:21 p.m.

I have seen every BYU bowl game from the very first one against Oklahoma State. The world was much different then. PAC8 members went to the Rose Bowl or nothing. There were only a dozen or so bowls, and they were named things like Rose, Sugar, Gator, Bluebonnet, Tangerine, Holiday, etc. BYU "owned" the Holiday Bowl, which by the late 80s seemed like the Vegas Bowl to us. Yawn ... another Holiday Bowl. Wouldn't we like to get into a Holiday Bowl again? But sadly, it is a PAC12-Big12 lockup.

Frankly, I'm glad we don't have a conference-affiliated bowl to go to. I'll take what we can get, and if we're 12-0 or 11-1, we'll get a good bowl.

• Allen#2 WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 4:32 p.m.

Look at the positive side: BYU will be THE only team from the state of Utah to win a bowl game this year...even if it is a "less-than-glamorous" bowl.

Utah has a much chance of winning their bowl game as the proverbial snowball in south Texas.

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 4:33 p.m.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Dec. 22, 2011 1:08 a.m.

@BigCougar....

Wow, you are an easily offended soul.... Being a "Pollyanna" (an I guess that's what you mean by name calling) simply means that you are a fan that agrees with everything that the Administration and coaching staff decide and would consider a criticism or even feedback that is less than 100% positive a "sin" or "Armchair Quarterbacking"....

I think that most people wouldn't consider that an insult but simply a label of True Blue Loyalty without having to write out 100 words of Description like I just did...

And by the way. My career went quite well, thanks....

Perhaps you might want to consider the definition for "Over-Reaction"???

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 22, 2011 5:50 a.m.

SoCalTrueBlue2 | 2:03 p.m. Dec. 21, 2011
    San Diego, CA

"Sorry, but any season in which BYU loses to Utah 54-10 at Lavell Edwards Stadium is not more successful than the season of the team up north. That one embarassing loss trumps overall win-loss records. That one humiliating loss skews my Cougar world's axis... I am hoping Riley Nelson can lead the Boys in Blue and set my Cougar world's axis back to its proper position next fall at Rice-Eccles Stadium."

Exactly.

A bowl victory, ending with 10 wins and ranked in the top 25, Riley making it fun to watch BYU football again, and underneath it all is terrible painful scar.

let's roll | 4:33 p.m. Dec. 21, 2011
    LEHI, UT

"The BCS was around when the Y played Tulane in '98 and Marshall in '99. Both finished undefeated, neither received a BCS bowl bid. Tulane was 10th in the final BCS standings, Marshall 12th."

Exactly!

Nice research. And this is why the BCS is wicked and should be stabbed through the heart with a sprig of holly.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 6:53 a.m.

SoCalTrueBlue2 you sound like a ute fan! We had a bad game against our rival and you count that as our whole season? WOW, are you sure you are a "trueblue" fan. If we went 11-1 and that loss was to the utes by that same score, would you say that our season was a loss? Pull your head out of the sand and be a sports fan. These are young men we are talking about and if they lose to a rival, so what, do we throw in the towel? As for all the talk about the BCS, well it is on it's way out. Trust me, in 3 to 5 years it will be history.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 22, 2011 10:04 a.m.

Eddie

Sorry, bro, but I still side more with SoCalTrueBlue2 than not on this one. Getting trashed by our rival in our own home means that no matter how well we do, until we erase that one, there will be a bitter taste in the mouth.

Mostly because no matter how poorly our rival does (did) (well, okay, poor is a strong word. Let's go with mediocre), they still have scoreboard and will still be there to rub it in.

It's called unfinished business, and I am already lining up my tickets for RES next fall.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Dec. 22, 2011 2:10 p.m.

Eddie:

"These are young men we are talking about and if they lose to a rival, so what, do we throw in the towel?"

No...you just schedule a bunch of weak WAC teams to create an appearance of regrouping and rebounding. Thus far, I'd say mission accomplished. Just look at how many cougar fans there have been falling all over themselves and showering themselves with praises by beating Idaho St. and a bunch WAC teams. You've beaten only ONE team with a winning record, and THAT team finished 7-6; ONE game above .500.

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 4:32 p.m.