BYU football: Cougars ready to begin bowl preparation

Comments

• srh83 Hillsboro, OR
    Dec. 18, 2011 10:00 p.m.

Loved the comments by Riley! What a class act! He's a good leader and will do well in the bowl game and next year. The future is bright for the Cougs!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Dec. 18, 2011 10:13 p.m.

re: srh83
    I agree with your comments about Riley. If he can stay healthy, I think he's going to surprise a lot of people his senior year.

I'm very excited about the match-up with Tulsa. Last year, the game was a mis-match against UTEP. This year, I think we have two solid football teams going against each other. The winner likely finishes the season in the Top 25. I hope to see a lot of Cougar fans yelling with me at the Armed Forces Bowl.

I'm surprised Jake is looking at programs like Kansas. I don't see how a program like that does anything for his future. I still think his best option was to redshirt next year and come back strong for his junior and senior seasons at BYU. But I think he let his pride get in the way of making a good decision for him and BYU.

• amicus Ann Arbor, MI
    Dec. 18, 2011 10:37 p.m.

I think Heaps wants to end up in a situation with better coaches. By coaches, I mean a QB coach and offensive coordinator that can get the most out of him and prepare him for the next level.

• Oregonian Sherwood, OR
    Dec. 18, 2011 11:26 p.m.

Re: amicus

"By coaches, I mean a QB coach and offensive coordinator that can get the most out of him and prepare him for the next level"

Yeah, those coaches weren't good enough to take a top QB talent and make him a winner. Yet somehow those same coaches were able to take a "less" talented Riley and make him into a winner. Go figure. Maybe heart, work ethic, and toughness count in football afterall.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Dec. 18, 2011 11:32 p.m.

amicus | 10:37 p.m. Dec. 18, 2011
    Ann Arbor, MI

"I think?"

What facts do you have for your thinking?

• bobco SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 1:09 a.m.

@amicus

I concur.

@worf

Who said anyone needs facts to back an opinion. "I think" sounds to me like an opinion based comment rather than fact.

On that note my opinion is that BYU coaches are not great. Good at getting players to work hard, but I am sick of having players that are gritty hard workers. I want to see talent. BYU coaches just can't get enough of it and when they do get the talent they don't know what to do with it.

I am not fully invested at this point and perhaps the first time I can ever remember in my life. I hope BYU gets beat by Tulsa and everyone else until Bronco is gone b/c I think he is no good. I would write my true feelings of the entire BYU football program if I thought the Desnews wouldn't block it.

• cougar76 Raleigh, NC
    Dec. 19, 2011 7:32 a.m.

bobco - adios. We don't need you.

• amicus Ann Arbor, MI
    Dec. 19, 2011 7:42 a.m.

Oregonian,

I am a big BYU fan, and an even bigger Riley Nelson fan. However, it is clear that Coach Doman wasn't able to develop Heaps into a successful college QB, and he was clearly not preparing Heaps for the next level, i.e., the NFL. (Sure, much of the blame falls on Heaps's own shoulders, but that's not the way Beaps thinks about it when deciding to transfer.)

In the coming year, Coach Doman may help coach BYU to a lot of victories, but he will never develop great QB talent that can succeed in the NFL. He is not Norm Chow.

That said, I am really glad to see Nelson starting, and I hope he has a huge bowl game and senior season.

• Unlucky HEBER CITY, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 7:49 a.m.

@bobco

Who do you or, any other BYU fans who think the coaches are so bad, suggest they get to coach. It's easy to say you need better coaches without ever saying who's better out there that would come to BYU. The fact is because of BYU'S standards this is what they will always be no matter who the coach is. They are never going to reach the height of BCS contender, they will be good not great. Bronco is not an elite coach but he is very good for BYU. he inspires lesser talent to overachieve which means they win 9 games this year instead of 7. Just because recruiting analysts say some one is better than some one else doesn't make it so. Chase Hansen is better than Tanner Mangum but isn't rated as high, just wait and see. Kyle will be lauded as a better coach than Bronco because Hansen will be better than expected and Mangum just won't measure up to expectations.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 8:39 a.m.

ho hum.....

Dec. 19, 2011 8:42 a.m.

Unlucky

So much to agree with, so much to disagree.

I agree with "just wait and see."

I disagree with your predicted outcome.

I agree with your assessment of Bronco, perhaps a little more favorable.

I disagree with never reaching the heights of BCS contender.

bobco, et al,

We may never know, which makes respectful opinions fun to discuss, but I think Jake spiraled out of reality. He went from small bowl MVP to can't complete simple passes in the space of nine months. I believe that he lost his confidence, maybe his focus. Maybe it was getting married at 19, maybe it was just the inability to earn/win the complete allegiance of the team, hard to know.

But his mistakes weren't coaching mistakes. Perhaps their inability to help him pull out of his death spiral were at least partially coaching errors.

But you choose: you want players who think things like "girlsee state" with talent, or qb's who work on the punt team because it helps the team. I'll take heart over ego every time, and yes, I'd rather BYU lose with heart to the pampered brats if those are my only choices.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 8:44 a.m.

Practice? Who needs practice?

• dustman Nampa, ID
    Dec. 19, 2011 9:04 a.m.

I'm glad Riley's comments were cool. He's handled this well. All anyone can do is "guess" why Jake Heaps left. If Nelson doesn't know why Heaps left, then there is no way I'm going to know why. And Nelson was with Heaps day after day.

All of us just watch games and read the paper. Then its all trash talk about how horrible Heaps is and how prideful he is and how he only wants to go to the NFL and how he doesn't care about the team. Really? That's crazy how you can form that opinion without ever talking to the guy, and just watching games.

What's wrong with a guy having big expectations? What's wrong with a guy wanting his team to win a national championship? What's wrong with a college player wanting to go pro? Shouldn't all the players on BYU's team want those things? But Heaps actually said it outloud and all of the sudden he's cocky, or failing expectations.

• kokua KAYSVILLE, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 9:15 a.m.

YgradYdad

Yes pointing the blame game finger at any one issue is small minded and extremely narrow in scope and focus.

Heaps has chosen to move on I wish him good luck and gods speed in is next life adventure. Fortunately, life does close doors and new ones will open and it is up to the individual to exercise courage and faith or crumble at the prospect.

I think Jake will choose the latter, good luck son.

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 9:25 a.m.

worf | 11:32 p.m. Dec. 18, 2011
    Mcallen, TX

Anyone can think on this board, it's made for people like us to voice opinions and comments. I think the same as he does. Heaps wants a better shot at getting the most out of him.

Let's see how the Cougies do against their next decent team of the year. Don't over look them, they are just like the Cougies too, can beat all the cupcakes on the schedule, but lose to decent teams. They are a perfect fit for this bowl game.

• dustman Nampa, ID
    Dec. 19, 2011 9:52 a.m.

By the way, Tanner Mangum is the real deal. He's not a runner, but that kid can play.

• Luv 2 Troll U Sandy, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 9:58 a.m.

Y Grad / Y Dad,

Last I checked, BYU was the team with a ton of ego (and not to mention quitters).

Good luck this bowl game to the team that entered and took the WAC by storm!

Dec. 19, 2011 10:13 a.m.

@unlucky

Sounds like you know all there is to know about Hansen and Mangum? I've never seen Mangum play, and doubt you have either, but I have seen Hansen play almost weekly for the last 10 years and in just about every sport you can imagine, football, baseball, basketball, and he is a fantastic athlete. Really he is simply a great athlete.

But he does not have a D1 quality arm, no better than Riley Nelsons to be quite honest with you, and he is not very accurate. I went to his "signature" win this last season against Bingham, it was the game that pretty much 'made' him. He had a great game and Lone Peak pounded Bingham. But lost in all the hype of that game is the fact he had a stretch where he had 9 straight incompletions, many of them to wide open wr's, and that was pretty common for him in all his games.

I've seen you post before so I know you are a utah "fan" but just making a definitive claim that utah's recruit is superior to BYU's is laughable considering you're a utah homer and have never seen Mangum play.

LOL!

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Dec. 19, 2011 10:20 a.m.

So,

- Bronco once complained about entitled parents/players (probably referring to Jake)

- Jake couldn't perform against top defenses because they take away your first/second options, and Jake's skitterishness required him to throw quickly to his first option, which is why he did well versus lesser defenses (first option mostly open)

- Jake's a practice phenom; Riley's a game phenom; and, it's pretty apparent by his own comments that Jake has yet to realize that

- Jake still thinks he's "all that" (knows he can throw a bullet), so he can't understand why he's not the starter

IMO, this is why Jake is transferring.

Riley would NEVER espouse these thoughts. He won't throw a teammate under the bus. Classy kid.

• Elmer Fudd Sandy, Utah
    Dec. 19, 2011 10:20 a.m.

@ Y Grad/Y Dad

BYU played with heart? Didn't the Cougies quit when they played the Mighty Utes during the beat down?

Utah was 0-4 in conference play when Jordan Wynn went down. You would think the team would quit like a certain team down south did. But Utah showed resiliency and got themselves back in the Pac-12 south race and were a field goal kick away from playing in the conference championship game. A team not giving up on their season and fighting as hard as they can to get back in the conference race. That shows a lot of heart! We can thank coach Whitt and Chow for a fantastic job they have done with the circumstances they were in.

Utah a team of ego? look at Jake Hypes, all your silly slogans every year, and all your celebration tackles after each play. It's like BYU won the Super Bowl or something.

I'm proud of my Utes this year. They showed a lot of heart and resiliency. We finished 7-5, but I'll take that with a Sun Bowl berth any day over a quitting team.

• Runner Chandler, AZ
    Dec. 19, 2011 10:22 a.m.

I'm a die-hard Cougar fan, CougarClub member, and have enjoyed college football for years. But I just find something wrong with this comment,

"But when it comes game day, you get that adrenalin and then you get those shots that numb you up so you don't feel much when you go out and play."

I know football players get numbed up before games and BYU is no different, but I was hoping that they would be different and adopt a policy of not using pain-killing drugs to enable players to play. If they have pain that cannot be tolerated, they should be able to heal properly and not risk further injury or potential pain-killing addiction.

I find this disturbing and would hope that BYU would manage this dark side of college football in a different more ethical manner.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 10:27 a.m.

I know the Hansens and Mangums and have discussed each of their sons' potential with them. BYU "fans" will love Mangums and will/do now hate Hansen. Hansen's fall from greatness in BYU "fans" eyes is similar to the fall of Heaps. 6 months ago Cougar fan was telling us how great Jake was/is. Now they tell us he is no good.

Following BYU "fan" is like riding Mr Toad's wild ride.

Dec. 19, 2011 10:30 a.m.

Luv 2 Troll U

Thanks for feeding my ego by commenting! But I don't think I'd play the "quitters" card quite yet. Colorado ring any bells?

And taking the WAC by storm? As opposed to taking the basement of the PAC by default??? Because I think finishing 8th in a twelve team race pretty much means you are the best of the worst. But it IS in a formerly prestigious conference.

Good luck against the "Ramblin' Wreck." Their defeat of U will help build their relevance in time for the Y to play them next year.

• Luv 2 Troll U Sandy, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 10:49 a.m.

Y Grad / Y Dad

The Colorado game didn't have any quitters. The team lost due to 3 missed field goals. Sure, the team could have played better, but the team showed up enough to win.

When I say quitters, I mean the following:

1) Jake Heaps throws an INT and heads to the sideline without trying to tackle.
    2) The team lets John White score 3 TD's up the middle for over 30 yards each. Just plain gave up against Utah.

Why does everybody think the Utes are bottomdwellers of the PAC? You know, the Utes finished in the MIDDLE, last place belongs to the likes of Arizona and Oregon St. Check it!

Spin all you want, these are the FACTS.

• Unlucky HEBER CITY, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 11:02 a.m.

@Duckhunter

Sorry I'm not a Utah fan or BYU fan, I like college football and follow all state teams. I was actually a strong BYU fan for years but fans like you turned me into just a fan. I want all state teams to win, but haven't watched a BYU vs Utah game for over 5 years. The rivallry is just ridiculous with hatred on both sides, so I choose to not get involved at all. I have watched film of both and it is only my opinion of who I would prefer based on what quaerterbacks are successful in college now. Hanse fits that more than Mangum. Mangum is good but BYU fans expect so much.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 11:08 a.m.

Tebow == Nelson

The Bronco's finally played a good team and they got thumped. Tebow is adequate to defeat the lesser NFL teams but he simply can't produce enough offense to keep up with the Patriots, Packers, Saints, etc....

Nelson is adequate to defeat the Idaho's and New Mex States, etc... but when BYU plays a real team - top 30 college team - they will hit the same wall that the Bronco's hit yesterday. Nelson is pretty much one dimensional - 75% run and 25% pass and good defenses will simply play tight man defense and force him to throw into tight coverage. If BYU can't run the ball they are dead against superior competition with Nelson running the show. In the past, BYU could be overmatched physically but they always had a QB that could stretch the field and equalize things offensively. Time to face reality BYU fans!!

• Elmer Fudd Sandy, Utah
    Dec. 19, 2011 11:17 a.m.

@ Y Grad / Y Dad

Utah didn't quit in the Colorado game. Obviously you don't know what quitting is. Utah was trailing the whole game and they responded by fighting back and getting themselves back in the game. They had 3 missed field goals which is unfortunate but it's part of football. BYU has no excuse in the Utah game. Utah started building a commanding lead and BYU showed no resilience and no heart, but instead they let Utah score at will. Quitters!

Actually Utah finished 6th in the Pac-12 with overall record. That is right there in the middle of the PAC. Not bad for their first year. I'll take beating up the bottom feeders of the PAC over playing a bunch of mid-major nobody's with nothing to play for any day.

Good luck against another mid-major nobody "Golden Hurricane" team. You may need it! The Utes are looking better for next year. We'll have a few back up QB's for Wynn which will help us. Utah is looking at beating the Y 3 years in a row, 8 of the last 11 years. Good luck with that, you will definitely need it!

• gchris rock springs, wy
    Dec. 19, 2011 11:22 a.m.

And the beat goes on. In summary, both BYU and Utah had disappointing seasons, though the record will show that BYU was 9-3 and Utah was 7-5. BYU lost a game to Utah by a score that no one would have predicted or which could never be duplicated. Jake Heaps, the guy with the golden arm but with happy feet melted in the face of mental and physical pressure. Only he knows if he has what it takes to play the college game against tough opposition. Wearing a "don't hit the quarterback" jersey in practice is a little different than facing a wicked pass rush in a game. He just couldn't seem to read defenses and look off his primary receivers and find open secondaries. He may or may not find success somewhere else. I hope he does. BTW, Mangum and Hansen will both have to prove themselves on the field, not on comment boards.

Dec. 19, 2011 11:28 a.m.

@elmer fudd

utah quit against washington, asu and cal in exactly the same manner BYU quit against utah. They turned the ball over a bunch of times on offense so the defense quit in the 2nd half of each game. They then played a bunch of weak teams down the stretch and managed to beat all of them other than the very worst team they played, colorado, in which the entire team seemed to quit before the game even started.

So by my tally utah quit at least 3 times, washington, asu, cal, and just plain didn't even bother trying against colorado. BYU quit once, against utah. And for all that quitting utah gets to go to el paso, texas which might be the worst hole in America and none of its fans, including you, are even going to go with them.

Hmmmm....I'll take quittting once, instead of 3-4 times, never losing to a crappy team like utah did against the worst team in D1 in Colorado, and going to Dallas instead of not even bothering to go to el paso any day. Quit on 4 games and your "fans" quit on your bowl game.

LOL!

Dec. 19, 2011 11:40 a.m.

@unlucky

What BYU fans "expect" has no bearing on how the player will play. He'll either be good or he won't, fans have nothing to do with it. As far as you choosing to quit being a fan of a team, well that is on you and pretty much confirms you never were what you claim to be in the first place.

So you've watched film on both qb's huh? Great. I watched Mangum's clips on youtube as well but that is hardly the same as watching him play hense my comment that I've never seen him play and neither have you. It doesn't sound like you have ever seen either of them play really. Congrats on being able to fully deduce two college recruits based on youtube clips, especially when all of the people that spend their lives doing it by watching them live don't agree with you. Someone ought to hire you pronto before they make a mistake on another #1 qb recruit.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 11:42 a.m.

re:Elmer Fudd

this 40 point thumping of the Cougars was no fluke. The game was played at Provo and it was clear that there was a big speed and athleticism difference between the two programs. BYU fans are content beating and competing with the 2nd tier teams of college football going forward and I think reality has finally set in. The Y of today is not the Y of the past and I think the two programs have sort of passed each other going in opposite directions. The LaVell Edwards teams were simply better - top to bottom - by far than what Bronco has produced and you see it every time BYU plays a top 20 team. Other than the Oklahoma game 2 years ago BYU has gotten destroyed by every top 20 team they have played and that NEVER happened under LaVell.

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 11:45 a.m.

Riley Nelson will be the next Steve McMahon. I smell national championship next year along with Heisman votes. It's going to be great.

• nunya sacramento, ca
    Dec. 19, 2011 11:48 a.m.

resilience....hahahaha, funny little utes. all of a sudden it's good to be 7-5 when at one time you were suppose to win the weak pac10.2 south. pathetic fans always have pathetic things to say.

• nunya sacramento, ca
    Dec. 19, 2011 11:50 a.m.

@ 54-10. you don't know the magnums or the hansens so stop coming on here acting as if you're somebody special with all the connections. Sounds like you're just a wanna be.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 12:05 p.m.

and the boys in blue quit.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 12:23 p.m.

Speaking as a Cougar fan, I would have to say "YES" BYU did quit in the Utah game. The fact they were only down four at the half and lost by 44 tells you all you need to know there.

The ironic thing is, Ute fans piled on Jake Heaps like crazy after that game, but when Heaps announced he was transferring from the Y, some of these same Ute fans showered him with praise, hoping he would play for a "real team" in a "real conference."

If Heaps was a quitter at BYU, blowing it badly against teams like Utah, what makes you think he'll do any better playing for a PAC 12 or Big 10 school?

I listened to the Utah/Colorado game, and I wouldn't say the Utes were quitters, they just went into the game with way too much overconfidence, while Colorado played like they were in the Rose Bowl.

Dec. 19, 2011 12:25 p.m.

@54-10

"and the boys in blue quit."

Not as many times as the boys in red 3 - 1 by my count with a no show as well.

LOL!

Dec. 19, 2011 12:26 p.m.

Hmmmmmmm, some selective thinking going on here.

By my count, Utah finished tied for, um, 6th. Three way tie. That would encompass 6th, 7th and, um, 8th. And how did we fare against the other two in the threesome? Lost to Arizon State and lost to Cal. If the roles were reversed, I think all loyal Utah fans would agree that a BYU team that finished tied with a team that they lost to, finished behind that team.

And that faster, stronger, far superior team that did indeed lay a beat-down of epic proportions on their rival on their rival's home turf... wait for it, lost. At home. To the absolute worst road team in college football.

I apologize. Calling them quitters may not be very accurate. But they certainly did not finish well. Again. Sometimes we call that quitting.

Cougars have been known to spin, and I'm usually there waving the flag, but I got nuthin' on some of you Ute fans posting above. Beating Washington State in overtime, then losing to Colorado is NOT battling back.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 12:32 p.m.

@PAC12Fan

Too much overconfidence my friend. I'm a Cougar fan but a realistic Cougar fan.

If Riley stays healthy the whole 2012 season, the Cougars should do well, but the 2012 schedule is going to be much tougher than 2011. Games scheduled at Utah, at Notre Dame, at Georgia Tech and at Boise State will be very good indicators of what direction the BYU team will be headed come 2013, 2014 and beyond.

That's why I want to see how Riley plays against Tulsa in the Armed Forces Bowl. Tulsa is a solid team which matches pretty will with the Cougars. If Riley can have a game like he did against Hawaii, it will give him and the rest of the Cougars a lot of confidence going into 2012.

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 12:47 p.m.

So i guess byu will finish their Powder Puff doll cream schuedle, Who do they play again?... Oh well there was always 1984 huh!

• Portland Beavers SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 12:51 p.m.

@Duckhunter and nunya

I know this is pathetic to say but calling someone a liar is something you guys are great at. I know 54-10 and he does know both families, so do I. There is no question who got the best FOOTBALL PLAYER, "UTAH". Hansen is going to be a great PAC-12 QB, Dh you are comparing an 18 year old kid, with a 25 year old man (Hansen to Nelson). Don't talk about quiting Utah did not get beat by 44 the entire year. I loved watching all your matadors that 2nd half.

BYU football was great at one time, they are not now. They are nothing playing for nothing. Week by week compare the two schedules, the U has left you in the dust.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 12:52 p.m.

OOPS, my bad. I meant to say, "Tulsa is a solid team which matches pretty 'well' with the Cougars."

I wonder if the Utah players and/or coaches will be checking the score of the Armed Forces Bowl, which is played the day before the Sun Bowl?

Probably not, since the Utes will need to practice and stay focused on their game.

But if the Cougars beat Tulsa (especially if they win quite convincingly) will Utah feel greater pressure to win the Sun Bowl?

The thought of the three Utah schools finishing 1-2 in bowl games, with the one win coming from BYU should scare the crap out of a few of you.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Dec. 19, 2011 12:57 p.m.

hahahaha only Utesies would count a loss at HOME to a 2 win team as some kind of semi bad loss, "hey at least we didn't quit". So what, you still lost abysmally!! Try and tell us the facts that anyone in the nation wouldn't look at that game and say"wow how bad are the Utes?" byu with a bowl win moves to 10-3 and a top #25 ranking. Getting thrashed by GA-Tech will only solidify what a pathetic season you Utesies had. And yes you'll only cling to one fluke game. And trying to claim finishing just a shade above teams like Zona and OSU are major accomplishments. wow, talk about spinning away into la la land.
    Enjoy El Paso.

Dec. 19, 2011 1:05 p.m.

@portland beavers

"There is no question who got the best FOOTBALL PLAYER, "UTAH". Hansen is going to be a great PAC-12 QB,"

Uh....exactly no one agrees with you. Not one coach, not one recruiting site, not one single "expert" of any kind. There is a reason Mangum is rated the #2 overall QB recruit in the country and Hansen isn't even rated as a qb recruit at all.

But like I said I've never seen Mangum play, other than youtube, so I can't personally comment on him other than it is obvious that all of the guys that make their livings rating recruits, and of course all the D1 programs that offered him a scholarship as a qb, think he is that good.

Hansen on the otherhand got exactly 1 D1 qb offer, from utah, unless USU offered him as a QB. And I am not knocking Hansen in the least, I've said many, many times the kid is a stud athlete, but I don't think he will be a D1 qb when it all settles.

What's pathetic is using multiple screen names to try and legitimize yourself. How many do you have now? I've counted alot.

• billybubba South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 1:21 p.m.

@54-10, Johnson72, PAC12Fan and all other Utes
    But here you are commenting over and over again on a BYU article. I think enough said

• WallyD North Salt Lake, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 1:30 p.m.

Why are some Ute fans on here so insecure?

I didn't grow up in Utah and so maybe I don't understand it fully, but I have respect for Utah and what they have done. I am glad they got in the Pac-12.

I am glad Hansen decided to go to Utah. He wants to be a QB and BYU probably would have had him at LB. He will probably do good as a QB.

So why do Utah fans have to say things like BYU players are quitters or that Utah has left BYU in the dust?

Last time I checked, if you leave somebody in the dust their fans don't troll on their articles. BYU defense definitely quit a bit during the end of the Utah game, but the players generally aren't quitters. They didn't quit in the USU game.

Also, BYU's program generally is still on par with Utah. In fact on some levels such as facilities, BYU is still superior to Utah.

Maybe we can just have some mutual respect.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 1:31 p.m.

@ jackr-as

No game where one team beats another by 44 points is a fluke.

LOL

• tcom2011 Fort Worth, TX
    Dec. 19, 2011 1:45 p.m.

Wally - wont you don't understand is that for some reason Utah fans are fueled with an indistinguishable hatred of all things BYU. I was an athlete at byu and grew up in utah, I turned down a many scholarship offers including utah, and went to byu. Three months after my senior year ended where in high school everyone was very nice and kind and congratulating. I went to utah for our first competition, I was yelled at, cursed at etc by the exact same people who spoke honey flavored words a few months ago. I grew up in logan so I liked both the Y and the U but once you get into slc watch out there are some very mean spirited fans, that take almost all of the fun out of the game.

• billybubba South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 1:45 p.m.

@54-10
    So the Boise 26-3 and the ND 28-3 and the TCU 47-7 and the AS 35-14 and the Wash. 31-14 were not flukes because none of these were 44 point loses right

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Dec. 19, 2011 1:51 p.m.

Portland Beavers

"the U has left you in the dust."

really?
    7-5, no conf. appearance or championship. Offense ranked in the bottom of the nation Not sure that is better than a team on the verge of cracking the top 25 and finishing with 10 wins. So Byu didn't get a shot at a BCS, that joke will be gone in 2 years anyways. Who knows what the bright future holds for byu. You can keep playing Zona, Ucla, CU and Wazzoo every year and claim its some powerhouse schedule. I'm not buying it.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Dec. 19, 2011 1:52 p.m.

54-10

17-14 no fluke either

hahahaa

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Dec. 19, 2011 2:07 p.m.

Duckhunter:

âutah quit against washington, asu and cal in exactly the same manner BYU quit against utah.â

Not remotely. The cougars quit against Utah because they have no heart. Against UWa, ASU, or Cal, we played as hard as we could, but were just not prepared to beat those teams with a backup QB who really had no business playing in the Pac-12. Losing games does not insinuate quitting. Patching our team together and playing hard, and rebounding in November, despite possessing the worst offense in the league demonstrated that we would NOT quit.

Dec. 19, 2011 2:12 p.m.

So let's all try being honest here.

I'm generally pleased with BYU's season so far. First year of independence, playing for a 10 win season and a shot at the top 25. Not gonna lie, 54-10 will still sting even after BYU beats Utah two years in a row, which hopefully starts next year.

Utah started their inaugural year in the PAC looking strong, culminating in the highlight of thrashing your rivals in their house. From there, it has to have been disappointing. In the conference, did you upset anybody? The chance to play for a spot in the conference championship was really more of an embarrassment to your division than a feather in your cap. I can't imagine UCLA is boasting of how they got into the championship.

Seriously, you have a shot in a more prestigious bowl, we have a shot at finishing better. I think either team will be bitterly disappointed if they don't win their bowl game.

• nunya sacramento, ca
    Dec. 19, 2011 2:56 p.m.

@ portland beavers and 54-10...um sorry to break it to you wanna be's but neither of you know the hansons or the magnums so stop it already...funny how you guys try to be somebody on an anonymous board...hahahaha, just like ute fans to try and be something they're not.

• Portland Beavers SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 3:16 p.m.

@Duckhunter

I have three names one for FB, one for BB, and one when I want to be serious. Personally I could care less about the Mangum kid I'm sure he is very good, but if he is really good why would he go to the Y. I have been watching Utah BYU games for more than 40 years. In the 70's and 80's it wasn't even close but now with what we have done and the outlook for the future we have passed you by. BYU will be good and win games but more of the caliber of Utah State which is where you are now.

I know you guys don't buy te PAC-12 thing, but in all seriouness the athletic level of the players in the PAC-12 is far superior to what you guys or Utah State have.

I just love to see how BYU fans respond, aswell as how Utah fans. Everybody is pretty much the same. But because I'm a Ute my side will always be right and your side will always be wrong. The lack of repspect by both is going to kill our rivalry.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 3:20 p.m.

@ 54-10

Interesting after the Utah/Colorado game in SLC that you'd ask who needs practice. Look up the word "ironic" and you'll see a photo of the Utah football team. You are just too funny..................LOL!!!!

• JayDee West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 4:24 p.m.

How would I know what to think or feel about BYU football without all the U "fans" telling me? Thank you. Now I will pass the winter in sadness at the sorry state of the program. I can hang my head in shame at the idea that the U of U has passed by my beloved alma mater and left them in the figurative dust.

The day I'll truly be worried is the day when BYU articles have fewer comments than U do. Then I will know something is wrong because U really could not care less) Apathy is much more telling that you've moved on than is any of this hatred that so many of U spew.

For all the talk about stepping up with BCS, Conference of Champion, rolling in the dough, strength of schedule, higher-caliber of "everything" bluster, it's pathetic to see the degradation so many of U wallow in.

Here's something novel, go cheer on Ur team. Go to the Huntsman Center. Go to El Paso. (I won't be holding my breath.)

Go! Go! Go!

Yes, please go.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Dec. 19, 2011 4:41 p.m.

RE: Elmer Fudd- "We finished 7-5, but I'll take that with a Sun Bowl berth any day over a quitting team." Ah, no place petter than El Paso in the winter. Yes. You guys did finish 7-5 and showed "heart and resiliency" against that difficult Colorado team?

• williary Kearns, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 5:05 p.m.

@Ducky

By my tally, 54-10.

End of story. We'll see you next September.

This story is getting old. BYU plays good teams to open the season, losses those games, visions of National Titles and Heismans that could have been spin through BYU fans heads, then they are built right back up when BYU beats up on the WAC.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Dec. 19, 2011 5:23 p.m.

bobco,

Call again. You're opinion is very important to us.

• Juice Box Eureka, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 6:27 p.m.

Y Grad / Y Dad,

Thanks for the apology to the Utes, I'm sure everyone has something to apologize for in these boards, NO team's fanbase will just admit the other is better, so that's why we all bicker little facts and spin a little bit...

It sure was a tough season for Utah, losing a QB vs Washington, there wasn't a great plan B so the Utes did buckle a little. I'm proud of the Utes for bouncing back though to get back into the race. Got to hand it to them for their first year of week-in and week-out PAC level competition.

I'll hand it to both teams, but let's just face it, Utes have football this year and BYU has basketball. Let's accept it and get over it.

As for the Cougar's bowl preparations, good luck. Tulsa isn't a terrible team, so don't overlook them. We'll see what happens.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 6:40 p.m.

@williary

You said - "Everyone has seen this movie. Roll credits, enter the Spring football hype contest where BYU never looses, and by 9/16/2012, BYU is locked into the Kraft Fights Helicopters Hunger Macco Bowl, against another mid-major team."

Okay, so where will Utah be on 9/16/12 or 12/19/12?

Two years ago, just before the Utah/TCU game, Ute fans everywhere were saying, "We're going undefeated again and playing in a BCS bowl game again! Mark it down! Write it down!"

Before the start of this season, Ute fans were saying, "We're going undefeated this year and will win the National Championship! Mark it down! Write it down!"

You may be correct about the BYU football team in 2012. To me, their schedule indicates a tougher year than their 9-3 season this year. But what about Utah?

If Ute fans say, "We're going undefeated in 2012! Mark it down! Write it down!"

What do you say?

• Forrest Natchitoches, LA
    Dec. 19, 2011 7:09 p.m.

LSU has already been practicing for its Jan 9 game, and the Cougs are just now going at it again?

Dec. 19, 2011 7:09 p.m.

@williary

Yes that is one of the few games utah didn't quit in. But of course that can't offset all the quitting in the Washington, ASU and Cal games, and of course the no show against Colorado. The only real question for the next several months will be if utah will ever win another basketball game? I wouldn't be shocked if I spend more time in the hc than you do this year. LOL!

• Portland Beavers SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 8:15 p.m.

@JayDee

Go ahead and hang your head, it is the absolute truth that the U has passed the Y, of course you will not admitt it but it is what it is. Make sure you do one thing the next time there is a football article about the football team at the U, look at how many of you cougar fans have to comment, it's pathetic to see the degradation so many of (you Y fans) wallow in. There is no question that I will cheer on my Utes, go to El Paso and Go Go Go, Utes!!!!

Why should I care about the Mangum kid? He's not going to be our QB and I really don't care who wears the blue jerseys. Utah is superior in football now and until your team plays and wins against the big boys (Utah, Texas, TCU) you can beat all the Idaho and New Mexico teams you want. Small ball is all you will get and it's all you will have as long as your nothing playing for nothing.

• Chumpley South Jordan, Utah
    Dec. 19, 2011 8:23 p.m.

This rivalry has way too much hate from the U fans. Get a life maybe all the drubbings in the 70's 80'and 90's are too hard to forget. Maybe it was when Detmer and the boys put 49 points on the U in the first half? 7 for 7 that day before half time well whatever. BYU still has a better body of work overall. Good luck to both teams in their Bowl games.

Dec. 19, 2011 8:39 p.m.

Portland Beavers

Nice try. Let's try again.

Draw two straight lines, intersecting at 54-10 and ending at the end of the season. The superior U line goes through an embarassing defeat at the hands of Colorado and a lovely trip to El Paso to play a meaningless bowl. You were rewarded with a higher bowl that means nothing when by rights you really should have played TCU or Boise and at least taken a shot at a ranked team.

The inferior BYU line goes through an opportunity to play in an inferior bowl, but competing for a 10 win season and breaking in to the top 25.

I'm glad you don't care, that would certainly explain why you won't respond to this comment - you don't care enough about BYU to read their boards. We'll just let you alone now. Just keep telling yourself, "Utah is superior, Utah is superior, Utah is..."

But even in that, you are comparing yourself to -

BYU.

Dec. 19, 2011 8:42 p.m.

@portland beavers

A utah "fan" posting over and over again on a BYU article claiming superiority just isn't very convincing. Truly superior programs don't have to try and convince the programs they think they are superior to they just go about their business being superior. Insecure mediocre programs are the ones that spend all of their time trying to convince someone, anyone, of how superior they are.

We'll all know utah is truly "superior" when we no longer see you guys posting on BYU articles. My guess is that will never happen you will jsut continue to come here day after day declaring your superiority and we'll continue to mock you and laugh about it.

LOL!

• JayDee West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 9:02 p.m.

@ Portland Beavers

All anyone need do is read your post to completely validate mine. Thanks...I guess.

And on topic...I can't wait to see Riley suit up one more time this year. He brought an energy to LES that just wasn't there when Jake was in. (Best wishes to Heaps wherever he lands.)

The only regret is that Jordan Pendleton is done with. He added speed and ferocity to the pass rush that was absent when he was out. Here's hoping the DB's play lights out against a very good Tulsa passing game.

Best of luck Cougars! Beat the Golden 'Canes!

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 9:05 p.m.

@duckhunter just because YOU said they quit doesnt mean they quit. they're not lucky enough to share that same trait with the byu football team. just because they lost the uw,asu, and cal game doesnt mean they quit, in fact they lost by about 2 touchdowns (not 44pts). and yes duckhunter we all know how much of an expert you are about the utes and everything else for that matter.

• Pugman TREMONTON, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 10:40 p.m.

I'm still wondering why so many Ute trolls are so possessed with BYU football. You should be on your threads tonight. The mens BB team has won two in a row. No, no, stay on the BYU thread and remind the Cougar faithful how you've already won two more games than the Cougars did in 96, or 97, or 94, or, or, whenever.

• Portland Beavers SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 11:34 p.m.

@Duckhunter and all the rest

Give me a break, there was a Utah article the other day (basketball) with 16 comments, 15 by cougar fans don't give me that stuff about being on a y article. The hypocrisy WOW, try again boys. Show me one article about Utah cougar fans have not had something to say.

@Y Dad/ Y Grad

Utah always will be superior, but you guys play in your inferior bowl and we will play in our meaningless bowl, where do those two lines intersect. One thing though it's not meaningless to us U fans, and yes you guys get to play in your inferior bowl.

@JayDee

you are more than welcome I guess, really don't know what you mean. Raw Raw Raw go Riley! The players at BYU are great, but you fans just make it so much fun for us Ute fans to misbehave. You guys are so serious, it's that funny, o and yes LOL!! Duckhunter taught me that. Keep it up boys don't stop convincing yourselves that the U hasn't passed you by in football, you have seen the dust.

Good luck in your inferior bowl

Dec. 20, 2011 6:55 a.m.

Portland Beavers

Looks like there's only a few of us left who care in the least what each other said.

"Just because you said they quit (are inferior) (are playing in a meaningless bowl) (etc), doesn't make it so." Get over it. Your logic is flawed.

Your team destroyed a team that is on the verge of breaking into the top 25. Your team is nowhere near the top 25. This illustrates:

a) a downhill slide; and
    b) your last game is meaningless to the vast majority of virtually anybody

c) growth from PR (pre-Riley) (the time when the beat-down occured) to WR (with-Riley, just wanted to make sure your were following);
    d) relevance in the football community; and
    e) life in a once-prestigous conference basement is NOT necessarily better than life as an independent.

But you are right in one regard - your bowl is not meaningless. BYU fans will watch to get acquaited with one of next year's opponents. Georgia Tech.

• williary Kearns, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 8:24 a.m.

@ClarkHippo

Undefeated? Not a chance. And I truly don't recall those claims from any Utah fans on these boards.

Talk of a Pac-12 Title game appearance, sure, and even with the Wynn injury, it was in reach.

Next year, no idea. Can Wynn stay healthy, that will be the difference between 7-8 wins, and a very good season 9-10. USC will be down a little with Barkley out, ASU/AU/UCLA going through coaching changes, not sure what to expect from any of them. I see no reason Utah won't be competing for the Pac-12 south again next year. Star coming back is huge, solidifies the DLine again. Finding 2 OT's the only replacement issue on offense.

How was that?

• williary Kearns, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 8:31 a.m.

"My team was destroyed by it's rival, at home, yet is playing for a 10th win and a spot in the top 25. This illustrates:"

Lets be honest.

It illustrates what happens when you go from playing teams in the basement of a BCS conference (Utah I guess?), to teams from one of the worst football conferences in the world (WAC), your teams looks a lot better.

Here is the real difference between Utah and BYU fans.

Utah finished last year with 10 wins. Beating up bad teams, losing to good teams. Utah fans were left unsatisfied, questiong how good the team was. Realizing their team was very flawed, and didn't accomplish near what their record showed. They feel much better about this year 7-5 mark, than last years artificial 10 win mark.

BYU can finish this year with 10 wins. Beating up on even worse teams, while losing to any decent team they played. And BYU fans will rejoice. They'll throw out top 25 rankings, 10 wins, etc.

Utah has moved on, BYU still relishes being the big fish in the empty pond.

• williary Kearns, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 8:34 a.m.

@Ducky

You should have waited a few hours before posting.

Utah basketball won their 2nd straight game last night.

Something you said would not happen.

Once again, another "Truth" from the Duckhunter.

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 9:02 a.m.

@y grad/ y dad

gt over yourself. your team is pathetic callin a 9 win season against the worst conference in the nation (the wac) hahahahaha. nobody cares about byu hnce no conference. you call utah a bottom dweller of the pac cause the beat the bad teams like theyre supposed to so obviously that means byu is a bottom dweller of college football (you would be in the bottomof any decent conference if you could even get in one)since you only beat the pathetic teams on your schedule and lost to any half decent team.

Dec. 20, 2011 9:34 a.m.

@sportsfan4whatever

"@duckhunter just because YOU said they quit doesnt mean they quit."

You're right, just because I said it doesn't make it so. The fact they did quit is what makes it so. I watched those games, I saw them quit. They are quitters. They also were 'no shows' against Colorado and that is just as bad. Pathetic really.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Dec. 20, 2011 10:01 a.m.

Duckhunter:

You said:

"I wouldn't be shocked if I spend more time in the hc than you do this year"

...and yet you ALSO claimed...

"We'll all know utah is truly 'superior' when we no longer see you guys posting on BYU articles."

So if Ute fans posting on those WAC-ish cougar articles suggests an unconvincing case of superiority of the U over the Y, then I guess it stands to reason that cougar fans who spend more time in the Huntsman Center than Ute fans suggests an even deeper seeded inferiority complex of Y fans toward the U.

Personally, I thought 54-10, 7 of the last 10, and a 21-yr lead in the overall series pretty much closed the case over Utah's superiority over your mid-majorey cougs, but I suppose 2 BCS bowls, a Pac-12 invite, and observing a fanbase who's so obsessed with their big brother on the Hill, that they actually claim to spend more time in Utah's athletic arenas than WE do really hammers that home.

54-10, and your boys quit.

"LOL"

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 10:33 a.m.

@duckhunter thats funny cause youre the only person who has even made tht claim and we all know how much of an expert about the game you are. noone cares that you said they quit they averaged a 14 pt loss thats quitting? haha ok buddy keep tellin yourself that to make your pathetic team better. oh and since byu lost by 10 to tcu (shoulda been more if it wasnt for that bogus p.i. call at the end) they quit that game as well since they lost. (im going by your reasoning)

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 10:34 a.m.

@duckhunter oh yeah....

"LOL"

Dec. 20, 2011 10:47 a.m.

@naval lint

All I had to do was attend one game at the hc and that is more time than you will spend there this year. I attended one game so yes I've spent more time there than you will this year.

As far as the rest of your post is concerned. *yawn*

Dec. 20, 2011 10:48 a.m.

@sportsfan4whatever

Then why do you care? They quit, at least 3 times. They are quitters.

Dec. 20, 2011 11:25 a.m.

sportsfanforlife | 9:02 a.m. Dec. 20, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    @y grad/ y dad

Slow down and breath, friend! Punctuation and spelling are your friends! Now, trash talk about conferences aside, national ranking is, well, national. Discount all you want, but a number of different ranking entities have the cougs on the verge of breaking in. That's a long way from where we all thought we would end up the night of 9/17.

williary | 8:31 a.m. Dec. 20, 2011
    Kearns, UT

Let's try being honest.

The real difference is that by the end of the season, BYU was beating the teams it was supposed to. Utah wasn't.

What you call unlimited ego, we call optimism. And, honestly, I admire Utah fans that look at this season and are proud of your Utes. You should be, if you are any kind of fan at all.

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 11:31 a.m.

@duckhunter. like i said before NOONE cares what you think lol.you sound like a typical clueless byu fan who knows nothing outside of whats goin on in your little happy valley LOL. everyone just laughs at your ignorant, clueless comments just like im doing now. ROTFL. your team is the best example of quitters. just go to youtube type "quitters" and the byu highlight dvd will pop up.

"LOL"

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 11:33 a.m.

@duckhunter
    "As far as the rest of your post is concerned. *yawn*"
    yeah its hard to argue the truth huh duckhunter? oh oops i forgot you a byu fan you will argue the truth even if its been proven LOL

Dec. 20, 2011 11:34 a.m.

Honestly?

You see me spin and twist (for illustration purposes only) the accomplishments of your Utes, and you are certain that I am the biggest idiot in the world. But you can't see the same thing in yourselves?

So how do I honestly feel. U got scoreboard. We got improvement. You got a better ($) bowl that means less. We got a lower bowl that means more. And I think we both can't wait to put this year behind us.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Dec. 20, 2011 11:38 a.m.

Duckhunter:

"I attended one game..."

Nope. I don't think so. I'm sure you've been attending as many Utah games as you could frantically afford. It's your fix; it's your obsession.

I on the other hand admittedly have not attended a single Utah basketball game all season, but then again, we both know that I live back here on the East coast, and apart from that "Battle 4 Atlantis" played way down south in the Bahamas last month, the Utes haven't played a single other game East of Salt Lake City. Only an extremely desperate, frantic and emotional, mid-majored cougar would think he was making a point by highlighting my absence from the Huntsman Center. I'm not even that big of a basketball fan in the first place. I really don't get into it until March. I'm not even sure YOU'RE a basketball fan either. You're just a fan of any team that plays Utah.

"As for the rest of your post is concerned. *yawn*"

That's it? You just got poned, and that's the best you got? You just got caught admitting your that your obsession with Utah keeps you glued to your Huntsman Center seat on a thread that Utah fans will likely be referring back to for MONTHS as evidence of your Utah obsession...and all you can do is yawn? No. I don't think so. I'm thinking more like *PANIC*...maybe even a new handle to hide behind. You won't be escaping THIS one.

Poor frantic and emotional coug.

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 12:08 p.m.

and thanks for givin us your other account name duckhunter aka y grad/ y dad.

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 12:11 p.m.

@y grad/ y dad"But honestly, how pathetic are you if your sense of well-being in the world depends on trying to decry any accomplishments of your rival because you somehow think it makes your team look better?"

wow talk about hypocrisy from byu fans right there.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Dec. 20, 2011 12:56 p.m.

Duckhunter:

"They quit, at least 3 times. They are quitters."

Tsk, tsk. So desperate. Let's break down our performances, shall we?

UWa.: Washington kicks a FG as time expired in the 1st-Half to take a 3-pt lead in the game. Injured in the 1st-Half, Utahâs star QBâs season is over. Making his D-1 debut, our backup QB throws for 156-yds, and connects with 7 receiversâ¦the last being to TE Dallin Rogers for a 4-yd TD with 7-sec. remaining in the game, despite being down 31-7, because we were NOT quitters. Utah lost by 17.

ASU: Utah's backup QB, in his 1st start of his career threw for 199-yds, and connected with 8 receivers, and DESPITE having lost our top WR for the next 2-wks. Utah kept it close until the late in the 3rd Qtr where our lack of depth finally caught up with us. Utah lost by 21.

Pitt: Utah's backup QB threw for 251-yds and connected with 8 different receivers DESPITE having lost our top WR the prior week. Down 11-pts to start the 2nd-Qtr, Utah rallied 23 unanswered pts â because we would NOT quit â to win by 12.

Cal: Utah's backup QB threw for 148-yds, and connected with 8 different receivers DESPITE having lost our star TE for the season in the prior week, and our star WR 2-wks prior. Down 34-0 early in the 4th Qtr, Utah did NOT quit, but rather persevered to 10 unanswered pts to close the game. Utah lost by 24.

CU: Utah missed 3 FGs, and lost both our star RB and top O-Lineman. Our backup came in and rushed for 77-yds. Utahâs backup QB threw for 185-yds, and connected with 9 different receivers. Utahâs unsuccessful 48-yd FG attempt as time expired â because we would NOT quit â cost us a 3-pt decision to the Buffs.

Meanwhile, a HEALTHY cougar team scored their final points of the game with over 6-min. to play in the 2nd-Qtr before inevitably getting steamrolled via 47 unanswered pts on their Home field, and watched complacently from both the sidelines, the skybox, AND the field. Your season ended before the 1st-Half of your 3rd game wound down. Your team quit. Period. Your backups quit too. And you lost by 44. "LOL"

• Portland Beavers SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 1:00 p.m.

@Duckhunter/Y Grad/Y Dad

Gosh-dang-it and I thought you were two different guys, I think I saw you at the Huntsman Center. Where you the guy with the fancy all colored shorts and the Blue BYU shirt that didn't match. I still can't figure out though how the copter bowl means more than the Sun Bowl does. Your team got better playing a schedule that was very light-a team like the y should get better against that caliber of competition. I will say it again your athletes and coaching staff are on the same level as Utah State, you probably would have been 2nd or 3rd in the WAC and 3rd or 4th in the MWC. That is where you guys are right now and it isn't even derogatory on my part it's the truth

y basketball is good not great, you did beat the pants off us and it's been that way for a number of years. But football has changed, Utah is a much better program with better players, in a league with very good teams and players. You guys are still nothing of nothing, get use to it (in football).

Dec. 20, 2011 1:47 p.m.

Portland Beavers, et al,

Never been to the HC. Been once to RES, enjoyed it very much except for the last 15 seconds. Don't know about Duckie, but I'm the bald guy with the mis-matched navy blue Rise and Shout shirt and royal blue classic cougar hat.

Some people consider playing in a BCS bowl as a measure of achievement, the higher the bowl the better. Some people consider ranking as a measure of achievement. Utah is not playing in a BCS bowl and will not end up ranked.

When your team had everything to play for, they failed to show up. How will they show up playing in a nothing bowl for nothing?

Enjoy scoreboard. Utah earned it. But when the high point of your football season happened in September, and you boast of a superior team, I think your missing something. Just saying.

Dec. 20, 2011 3:22 p.m.

@sports"fan"

I love you making post after post just to try and convicne me how much you don't care about my posts. LOL!

@naval lint

Maybe you forgot but BYU played at the hc last week. I attended. Yes that means I will have spent more time in the hc than you this year. Also I really loved the game by game breakdown you gave me about why you think the utes didn't quit. They did quit but I'll give you an "a" for the effort to convince me otherwise. I really do appreciate that you care enough about what I think of utah to go to all the trouble. LOL!

This has really been an awsome thread!

• Portland Beavers SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 4:00 p.m.

@Y Grad Y Dad

Dude, you don't have to tell me a thing about BCS Bowls or Rankings. We have been to two BCS Bowls with a #4 ranking and a #2 ranking, so I do know how it goes. I went to both and you cannot believe how much fun they are.

You guys will not be ranked even if you win, coaches and the media know how you have aquired the 9-3 season. The football world is passing you buy, 4 independent teams and two of them are Army and Navy, the other Notre Dame you will never be in the same class. They play a real schedule, Mich. Mich St. USC Stanford. Look at how many teams that BYU played this year that are in a bowl game, I think it's 3 all the teams you lost too. It's just not that impressive this year for the y to me. Until BYU plays in a BCS conference fans like yourself will never, ever, never, ever know the difference. I'm sorry buddy it's just not the same as the old WAC or MWC. Love your team it is what it is. PASSED BY!!!!

Dec. 20, 2011 4:27 p.m.

@the beav

Who is it you're trying to convince BYU fans or yourself?

Dec. 20, 2011 4:55 p.m.

Portland Beavers

Do you just need a hug? Remember, keep saying to yourself, "We are superior, we are superior, we ARE superior."

We can resume the ranked / not ranked discussion after BYU's game, but currently in the AP, we're 29th (or if you prefer, the fourth highest other team recieving votes), 26th in the USA Today and Harris polls.

But brother, if you asked ANY objective observer which team in the state of Utah is being passed by, they'd say, "Hmmm, USU went to a bowl game for the first time in many years, and BYU recovered nicely from a terrible start, but Utah seems to have run out of gas mid-way. Second year in a row, too. At least last year they could say that was the hardest part of their season. But losing to Colorado? At home? That is some serious by-passing."

ps We beat Utah State. They went to a bowl. But it's okay, you got the hyperbole thing down pretty good.

• UTEGRAD04 SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 10:59 a.m.

OK, look, here is the bottom line, and cougar fans aren't going to like it.

Fact: Neither team had a good season. Utah blew it at the beginning and at the very end and BYU played terrible teams all season, so there is no need for any of us to brag.

Fact: Utah is in a premiere conference. BYU fans can joke about how weak the PAC 12 south is, but the bottom line FACT is that we are on the map simply because we belong to a major conference. Every BYU fan I know will admit that, given the choice, they would choose a major conference over independence.

Fact: Utah can lose a few games and still have the opportunity to play for the PAC12 championship. I know it may be a long shot against Oregon, Stanford, and USC, but it is STILL a possibility. Every game counts and the season can be exciting up until the last game. BYU, on the other hand, must win EVERY GAME to have a chance. If they lose to GA Tech next season, it's over...Armed Forces Bowl.

These are the facts. Utah is in a better spot - FACT -

Dec. 21, 2011 1:18 p.m.

UTEGRAD04

You are right - I don't like it. But I can respectfully (and hopefully logically) disagree.

By the same logic, Washington State, Colorado and Oregon State are also in a better position and we should want to trade places with them. I don't.

But I will admit, about the time that Utah actually DOES compete for, and win, a game in the Rose Bowl, well, I'm not gonna lie. I'll be a little jealous.

But until then, you'll get more money and more unrealized opportunity, we'll get more exposure and more opportunity on the national stage.

Just my opinion, but thanks for the exchange of thoughts!

Dec. 21, 2011 3:31 p.m.