U.S. & World

Michael Savage, Glenn Beck going hard at Newt Gingrich

Comments

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 11:43 a.m.

'Ever the provocateur, Beck wasn't satisfied with merely blasting Gingrich on Fox News last week. Not only did he paint the former House speaker as a liberal-in-disguise, but Beck also went as far as to insinuate that any tea party adherent who backs Gingrich but loathes Obama is a racist.' - Article

And yet:

*'Fox Host Glenn Beck: Obama Is A "Racist" - Huffington Post - 07/08/09

'When Fox's Brian Kilmeadeon pointed out that many people in Obama's administration are white, so "you can't say he doesn't like white people," Beck pressed on. "I'm not saying he doesn't like white people, I'm saying he has a problem," Beck said. "This guy is, I believe, a racist."

It appears that EVEYRONE is a racist to Glenn Beck.

And that Mitt Romney and Glenn Beck share the same faith...

would have NOTHING to do with why Glenn Beck is against Newt Gingrich...

right?

Sarcasm.

• David King Layton, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 11:59 a.m.

But politically, are they not very similar? At the debate, when asked to give a difference between himself and Newt Gingrich, Romney paused for a few seconds and then pointed to his opposition of mining for minerals on the moon, one of Newt's stranger ideas. I understand Romney was trying to make Gingrich look a little wacky for his moon mining idea, but wasn't there any other difference he could point to? Something more substantive and more real that is closer to the minds of Republican voters that he could set himself apart with? I fear there is not. And that is his biggest problem.

• Brother Chuck Schroeder A Tropical Paradise USA, FL
    Dec. 13, 2011 12:06 p.m.

QUICK, hand me a tissue Stu, I'm about to cry, then sip on my diet coke, there, I'm better now says Glenn Beck, over his icon Mitt Romney, that the GOP in the south hates. Today I heard Glenn Beck the most prominent Constitutionalist Tea Party (aka Koch Brother's created group), voice in AM talk radio and pay for view GBTV, independently targeting RINO presidential frontrunner Newt Gingrich. ALL THESE RINO's are Self-serving. Self-aggrandizing. Anti-conservative. Anti-principled. Hints of corruption, hypocrisy, and bizarre and destructive behavior. TELL ME, what's new. I been saying this for years. Did they take the hint?. These are all "BLINDERS" folks, to keep you from learning about these truths, before the Republican National Convention will be held in Tampa come Jan. 2012. " Chinese President Advises Navy To Prepare For War And Iran Readies Its Missiles, Is $250/barrel Crude Oil Near?." "Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Nepal, India Readies for War with China". While China's nuclear capabilities are far less than those of the U.S., the strategy is to threaten unacceptable damage on the enemy, America and Europe. Are ya'll ready for WWIII and to glow in the dark?.

My truthful views.

• NT Springville, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 12:10 p.m.

Regardless of their differences (Newt vs Mitt), I would still choose either of them over Obama - hands down.

And, no, Pagan - my choice has nothing to do with race and/or religion.

...sigh, moving on now to the obituaries column...

• 1conservative WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 12:15 p.m.

Right now Newt is the lamestream medias' flavor of the month.

The lamestream media will be doing anything and everything they can so that Obama doesn't have to face Romney in the general election.

Personally, I think Ron Paul, Rick Santorum, or Michelle Bachman could beat Obama as long as the Republican party got behind them.

Newt doesn't have a chance though of beating Obama. I see it as the "old" RINO's just trying to hold onto power! Some of the "good old boys" just aren't too happy with the upstart tea party members!

• lket Bluffdale, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 12:47 p.m.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    Dec. 13, 2011 12:47 p.m.

In 2012, I want a candidate who doesn't let their beliefs change sides every time the wind blows. Someone who will follow through on what they say; instead of telling us what we want to hear during the debates only to go back on their promises after they are in office.

To me, that's either Ron Paul or Michele Bachmann. Unfortunately, neither one of them is being portrayed by the Main Stream Media as electable.

The media makes Paul come off as a nut job, eccentric old man and Bachmann as weak and uninformed. Neither of which are true.

I hope Iowa sends a shock wave through the Republican Party and gives the nation a real choice by voting either Bachmann or Paul as the winner.

I don't want Mitt or Newt to win the Republican nomination because their policies aren't going to be all that different from one another.

Just because someone calls themselves a Republican doesn't mean they aren't going to be progressive and liberal in their policies. To me, Newt and Mitt are "Obama Lite."

• Ex-Pat of Zion Lititz, PA
    Dec. 13, 2011 12:52 p.m.

if you view the primaries as training (conditioning) for the general election, then the right's foment "maneuver" has been well honed. Problem is, saturday night at the fights is not everyone's idea of entertainment. Independents (I hope anyway!) are more cosmopolitan. If the election is to be decided along party lines with RESULTS the criteria, then neither candidate has much to hang their hat on. The next selling point is ideology ... which is a wash. The next measure is integrity. It is this measure that will sink the candidate from the right still in possession of a political pulse.

• Jonathan Eddy Payson, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 1:03 p.m.

@Pagan

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 1:06 p.m.

To "Pagan | 11:43 a.m. " you any anybody else who has taken the MSM bait about Beck should go to Glenn Beck's website and watch the videos embedded in the article "What could Glenn never say on cable news? A takedown of the progressive wing of the GOP establishment".

If you, or even the reporter who wrote this article bothered to do even a small bit of research, you would understand that Glenn was making a very pointed comment towards the Tea Party.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Dec. 13, 2011 1:10 p.m.

Newt or Mit vs Obama will be really interesting. It will be two guys not nearly as conservative as they are positioning themselves versus a president that isn't nearly as liberal as he has been cast. It has all the makings of a great train crash rushing to the middle.

Should be fun.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 1:11 p.m.

Normally I respect Beck's opinion but I personally think he is off in the weeds on this one. Ok so Newt isn't Ronald Reagan or George Washington - WHO IS???? Glenn seems to be saying that he would never vote for Newt - REALLY? NEVER? So that implies if Newt is the GOP candidate then Beck will vote for Obama?? No - obviously not but what I am hearing Beck say is that he simply won't vote. Not voting because you don't have the perfect conservative is the same as casting a vote for Obama. I wonder if Beck understands that at the end of the day there may not be a black and white choice - only a shade of grey. In WWII we ailed with Russia (whom we hated and didn't trust) but we did it to defeat the greater evil of Adolf Hitler. Sometimes you have to compromise rather than just set on the side and do nothing. Doing nothing is the WORST of choices some times. It made a a hard swallow to vote for Newt but to defeat the greater EVIL of Barack Hussin Obama - you have to do it!!!

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 1:16 p.m.

'It should be pointed out that from all indications, Mitt Romney is a good father and husband, and from all indications is light years ahead of Gingrich in that category.' - David King | 11:59 a.m. Dec. 13, 2011

I agree with this.

I would ALSO point out that a 'good father and husband'...

ALSO describe, President Obama.

The 'anyone but Romney' campaign in the Republican party is hurting the Republican party.

JUST LIKE the 'anyone but Obama' mentality from the Republican party leads too...

a 'family values' canidate, on his third wife or...

Mitt Romney.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 1:19 p.m.

Who cares what Beck & Savage have to say. They're both nothing more than bolviators hawking whatever will earn them the most $$.

Neither of them have anything worthwhile to say/hear.

• KM Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 1:20 p.m.

I listened to Glenn this morning and some of the soundbites from Newt are a bit disconserting. Loves FDR. Loves Wilson. Bought in on global warming and thinks bigger government is the answer to all our woes. Hmmmm, sounds an awefull lot like the current occupant of the White House. No thanks!
    Ps. how bout' A Bachman/Santorum ticket? I wonder who the DNC media machine will choose for us to vote for this time around?

• Ms Molli Bountiful, Utah
    Dec. 13, 2011 1:24 p.m.

• Jonathan Eddy Payson, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 1:29 p.m.

@ Iket

"the only one you could trust would be Huntsman, or Paul. one is to quiet and the other though I like a lot that he says is too off the wall."

What part of Paul's stance on Constitutional obedience is "too off the wall" for you?

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 1:39 p.m.

Jonathan Eddy said: @Pagan
    "Your back handed slaps at Mormonism are getting old and worn out. Please try to find a new dog to smack around."

Perhaps your looking for something not there? I re-read Pagan's post and can't for the life of me see anything about mormonism, so how did your comment even get posted since it had nothing to do with the article?

Anyone who listens to beck with any regularity is seriously lacking the ability to discern entertainment from information useful to making an intelligent decision.

• murray19 Murray, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 1:42 p.m.

If you don't take the time to really look/listen to Beck yourself instead of listening to what the media or what you hear 2nd hand you have no idea of what Beck is really about. He calls out the right and the left and hasn't endorsed Romney. He would take Romney over Newt, but would rather have a true conservative. But Romney does have the best chance to beat Obama. And Obama may not be as mush of a liberal as a Socialist that want to "change" our country.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 1:50 p.m.

Now I thought we were being told for months by conservatives that Obama is so unpopular and such a bad president that anyone could beat him. Whatever happened to that? Have conservatives suddenly realized that the people really don't like the conservative agenda?

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Dec. 13, 2011 1:50 p.m.

Pagan:

Michael Savage is not Mormon, and is backing Romney. Explain that one.

Ms Molli:

Answer: Some are, and some are not. So what?

• murray19 Murray, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 2:02 p.m.

MS:Moli

Yes I am, he stands for the truth not a political agenda or what is popular.

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 2:03 p.m.

To "Ms Molli | 1:24 p.m. " they should be. He uses the words of the politicians themselves to expose who they are and what they believe. He does not take sides, and what his warnings are similar to what is often preached from the pulpit during General Conference.

The people who complain about him the most seem to be the ones who are in denial the most about the end-goal of Progressivism, and how it exists in both parties.

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 2:04 p.m.

Ms Molli: "I just have to ask, are LDS proud of Glenn Beck and the way he presents himself?" .... Should they be? And if they are, who cares? And if they're not, does it make a difference? Glenn Beck is Mormon, but does NOT speak for the church. That would be another individuals job.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 2:05 p.m.

Glenn Beck has his political opinion(s) like anyone else, unlike anyone else he has a nationwide radio show he can vent them on a continuous basis.

He is hard on President Obama, he holds President Washington on a pedestal. Were he to judge and nitpick Washington and by the same ruler he judges Obama, he would rip Washington up one side and down the other on a daily basis, and Washington did have significant faults and shortcomings. Conversely were he to gloss over Obama's faults as he does former President Washington's, you could count on one time the times he mentioned Obama in any kind of a bad light, and then that would only be so he could come across as 'fair and balanced'.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 2:05 p.m.

'Pagan:
    Michael Savage is not Mormon, and is backing Romney. Explain that one.' - Tom in CA | 1:50 p.m. Dec. 13, 2011

I don't have to.

And, since I will admit I don't actually KNOW anything about Michael Savage...

that's why I didn't actually MENTION anything about him.

Oh. But I guess finally said the word 'Moromon' (via a quote from soneone else) so Jonathan Eddy | 1:03 p.m. Dec. 13, 2011 can claim I am 'smacking' Mormons around and comparing them to...

dogs. (Sarcasm)

Happy Valley Heretic | 1:39 p.m., this is an example that it dosen't matter WHAT I actually say.

People will take it out of context, in fact LIE about what was said by whom:

*'First Romney TV ad blasts Obama' - By Mercedes White, Deseret News - 11/22/11

'It appears that in that instance, Obama was quoting an aide to then-2008 opponent Sen. John McCain (sic) That might be beside the point though because...'

And the Deseret News thinks that ALL part of 'civil discourse.'

Lying, is 'beside the point' now.

• Ms Molli Bountiful, Utah
    Dec. 13, 2011 2:09 p.m.

Tom in CA | 1:50 p.m. Dec. 13, 2011
    "Ms Molli:
    Answer: Some are, and some are not. So what?
    Glenn Beck exercises his right of free speech, and is not a mouthpiece for the LDS church. Do you have a problem with that? "

I don't have a problem with it, not at all. I use these boards as an investigator. The boards give a better glimpse, in my opinion, about mormons and their attitudes towards others. A much better glimpse than I have ever receive when someone is dressed in their Sunday best. Your attitude and how you chose to treat others comes out pretty loud and clear on these boards so I thank you for responding.

• Ms Molli Bountiful, Utah
    Dec. 13, 2011 2:31 p.m.

NedGrimley | 2:04 p.m. Dec. 13, 2011
    Brigham City, UT

@NedGrimley, from an investigator's opinion, all the members represent the church. I might be taught about the principles of the gospel, etc., but this is a church run by people and its the people and their attitudes towards others that I am interested in learning about here. I don't want to be part of a "do as I say, not what I do" kind of organization. Its really amazing how much one can learn from these boards. This is of coure not the only place I am gathering my info from, but sometimes when people don't think that others know who they are you can learn the most about who they really are and how they treat others.

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    Dec. 13, 2011 3:00 p.m.

@NedGrimley - Almost no one outside the church knows who Thomas S. Monson is. But every time someone finds out I'm LDS, they ask me about Glenn Beck. Beck is the #1 Mormon culture symbol now, over even BYU.

• realsoothsayer SANDY, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 3:10 p.m.

People who work and pay taxes definitely like the conservative agenda. The something-for-nothing crowd will keep pushing for the redistribution that Obama constantly talks about, and they'll keep believing that big government is the savior of mankind. And they'll keep being self-serving and dead wrong. And the rest of us will keep paying for it.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Dec. 13, 2011 3:11 p.m.

"Sometimes you have to compromise rather than just set on the side and do nothing. Doing nothing is the WORST of choices some times".... says Patriot. I begin to think there is a glimmer of hope. But then he continues "It made (be) a hard swallow to vote for Newt but to defeat the greater EVIL of Barack Hussin Obama - you have to do it!!!"

"Evil"

He had me buffaloed that civility was on the rise, that this was about to be about issues and direction for the country, but then the same old hate filled diatribe and the conversation rushes to the gutter.

Respectful disagreement and debate - what would it be like?

• Tuffy Parker Salem, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 3:50 p.m.

My first choice is Jon Huntsman but it's very unlikely he'll be able to catch up. That said, Gingrich is even more un-electable that John McCain. I think the Dems are salivating at the prospect of facing Newt in the election.

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 4:16 p.m.

@patriot

Did Senator Obama get censured by the Senate?

If I remember correctly, Dr. Gingrich was censured by the House and fined $300K by an overwhelming majority, including Republicans.

The "anyone but Obama" crowd conveniently forgets that Dr. Gingrich resigned from the House the day after he was elected - after soliciting donations from his constituents. Did he give all those donations back even though he knew he would be quickly resigning? I highly doubt it.

The man has ethics holes large enough to drive a deuce-and-a-half through, yet you all overlook it.

• FDRfan safety dictates, ID
    Dec. 13, 2011 4:16 p.m.

I'm glad that they are going against Gingrich, but outside of Utah and a few scattered Mormons elsewhere they have no influence. They just provide candy to the Obama haters. They won't change any undecideds.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 13, 2011 4:33 p.m.

Now, I don't particularly disagree with Gingrich's philosophy, but I think he carries way to much baggage to be elected in the general election against Obama. I am not completely on the same page with Romney but I think he is the most electable of all the candidates, and the Democrats know this. Watch how many Democrats change their party affiliation so they can vote in the GOP Primary election--just like they did in Nevada to nominate the weakest possible candidate to run against Reed.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 4:44 p.m.

realsoothsayer said:
    People who work and pay taxes definitely like the conservative agenda.

No, actually (I, being one of them) think the conservative agenda is to destroy the American dream for 99 percent of the people who work and pay taxes for the 1 percent who wish to return to the company store, sleeping with your children at the factory you work 18 hours a day at. No minimum wage, no workers rights, if your hurt on the job they'll replace you. You know the Conservative daydream of yesteryear.

No thank you.

• wrz Salt Lake, UTah
    Dec. 13, 2011 4:53 p.m.

@idablu:

"I agree. I think the Dems and their minions (the media) will do whatever it takes to get Newt the nomination."

Right on, ida. Dems have figured out how to win elections. First, they 'help' Repubs select their candidate... the one least likely to beat their guy. That's what they did with McCain. Then, the next step is to send their people (ACORN, et.al.) into the ghettos to dredge up votes from illegals and others who have no clue and couldn't care less what's going on. Where many times they illegally fill out and hand in fake ballots.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 5:06 p.m.

wrz must really think republicans are stupid, because they are so easily led by their enemies to make decisions they wouldn't make unless they were fooled into it which they apparently are every few years.

It's really sad the decent into madness you must feel for your republican brothers.

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 5:06 p.m.

fto Ms Molli | 1:24 p.m. Dec. 13, 2011
    Bountiful, Utah

----------------------

I'm an observant Latter-day Saint. Beck embarrasses me.

• FDRfan safety dictates, ID
    Dec. 13, 2011 5:07 p.m.

In my opinion, the only influence these 2 had in this election is in forcing Romney to the right. And what are the results? The right still don't like him and Obama has become the populist and will probably win the election as such. Mitt Romney should make dart boards with their pictures, along with Norquest and Limbaugh.

• Alfred Salt Lake, UTah
    Dec. 13, 2011 5:13 p.m.

@UtahBlueDevil:

"Newt or Mitt vs Obama will be really interesting."

I say: Mitt - pres, Newt - his veep. Or vice versa. Could be a winning combination... if they could get along.

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 5:26 p.m.

Ms. Molli, I just have to ask, are the Luthrans proud of how Newt Gingrich is portraying them?
    Weird huh, when you apply that ridiculous line to other religions.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 5:39 p.m.

@Ms Molli

I don't have a problem with Glenn Beck. He's a little over the top for my taste. He has done a lot of good, both in charity work as well as just getting people thinking who weren't otherwise involved.

@Pagan

It's probably better that you don't know who Michael Savage is. Not your style at all.

Both are correct, however. There is no logical reason Newt Gingrich should be the front runner. He is worn out and has slept in too many political beds (no pun intended) to be trusted. He calls Romney a flip/flopper but we already knew that. Gingrich is the worst of them all. But strangely, Rush Limbaugh likes him. Could it be that conservatives aren't marching in lockstep, as they are often portrayed by the media?

At the end of the day, we can't afford more Obama. Anything really is better than the malaise. I'd prefer Ronald Reagan, but that's not going to happen. I don't want Gingrich or Perry.

• Anti Government Alpine, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 5:42 p.m.

Its no mystery why the press has "taken out" nearly all the threats to unseating obama. They are allowing Newt to go unscathed for the time being...until he gets the nomination. Then they will unleash all the filthy baggage.

Newt is no conservative...he is a filthy politician. Romney is no conservative either.

Ron Paul is libertarian and is the only candidate left with an actual solution. The rest of them are a joke.

The liberal media is laying off Newt for the time being because they want him to take out Romney who clealy has a better chance of beating obama.

There is always a motive to the progressive socialist media. Don't be so naive as to think they have not thought this through.

Their goal is to get the spender socialist-in-chief re-elected even if he has been a proven failure by basically every measure possible.

They want economic failure. They want chaos and collapse. Then a big government has to step in and take massive control which they believe is a good thing. Then the enlightened progressives can make all our decisions for us.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 6:18 p.m.

@ RanchHand | 1:19 p.m. Dec. 13, 2011

Agreed.

@ UtahBlueDevil | 1:10 p.m. Dec. 13, 2011

I'd like to see Mitt v BO in the 2012 elction just for one reason. I imagine Mitt trying to tee off on BO about Health care.

Then, having the POTUS say very matter of factly, "I based mine off the one up in Massachusetts."

Filling of prozac prescriptions here in Zion would quadruple.

re: KM | 1:20 p.m. Dec. 13, 2011

"I listened to Glenn this morning and some of the soundbites from Newt are a bit disconserting."

Soundbites on Glennie's program? That just screams credibility & objectivity. NOT!

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 6:26 p.m.

I'd sure like some better choices. Romney is no prize, but Gingrich is worse. People like Newt for his sharp tongue and candor, but is he really smart, or just a smart alec?
    If character counts, Gingrich loses to everyone else in the race.
    And his idea of local citizen panels deciding about amnesty for long-term illegal aliens boggles the mind.
    Newt would make a fine press secretary for the new president.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 6:47 p.m.

Newt, Mittney, Obama. Whatever. None of them changes the fact that beck is loopy as a loon.

• JoeBlow Miami Area, Fl
    Dec. 13, 2011 6:59 p.m.

"Right on, ida. Dems have figured out how to win elections. First, they 'help' Repubs select their candidate... the one least likely to beat their guy. That's what they did with McCain"

Wow, gotta laugh at that one.

So, the Left media leads the GOP electorate around by the nose, and tells you who to select as a candidate so the Democrat can win.

Personally, I give the GOP constituents much more credit.

I hope they are not that gullible.

• Vince the boonies, mexico
    Dec. 13, 2011 7:00 p.m.

To Say No to BO and you other undecided Republicans. There is only "1" qualified candidate running for the top office in our country and that is Jon Huntsman. I'm an independent and can't for the life of me understand why you people don't understand!

• WHAT NOW? Saint George, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 8:00 p.m.

"...Self-serving. Self-aggrandizing. Anti-principled. Hints of corruption, hypocrisy, and bizarre and destructive behavior...".

GB calling cards?

Not so anti-GB'ers.

Well, at least, not all the time.

These brutal descriptions were examples of the attacks popularized by Gingrich himself in his rise to power.

What goes around is beginning to come around.

You go Glenn.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 8:32 p.m.

So Beck is calling someone else a racist?
    That is just sad.
    Wingnuts: nobody you like is going to beat Obama. Find a moderate (like Reagan) and maybe you will get the White House back.

• ThinksIThink SEATTLE, WA
    Dec. 13, 2011 10:35 p.m.

I always expected Beck would come out and support Romney. He has always played it low key. For example, pretending he supported Bachman or some other candidate who was no threat to Romney. However, with Gingrich making a major move right before the primaries, Beck was forced to show his hand and come out for Romney. That is all Beck's attack on Gingrich amounts to. Beck is supporting someone who is mormon like he is. I knew he would.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Dec. 13, 2011 10:51 p.m.

Beck teaches the gospel of man and selfishness, his being LDS should not be a reflection on the LDS faith that teaches the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Below is proof that the Republican party of the South dislikes the LDS faith. Stop supporting this party of intolerance. Just wait for the ugly remarks and mysterious robo calls scaring people. I am glad I am an independent. Romney should run as an independent.

-------------------
    Craig Bergman, Iowa campaign director for GOP presidential front-runner Newt Gingrich, stepped down from his role Tuesday amid reports he made a controversial comment about Mormonism.
    "He made a comment to a focus group prior to becoming an employee that is inconsistent with Newt 2012's pledge to run a positive and solutions orientated campaign," said R.C. Hammond, press secretary for Gingrich.

The newspaper attributed the remark to The Iowa Republican, a conservative news website.
    "A lot of the evangelicals believe God would give us four more years of Obama just for the opportunity to expose the CULT OF MORMON," Bergman reportedly said. "There's a thousand pastors ready to do that."

• Jenny83 OGDEN, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 11:09 p.m.

Who else thinks his go-tee looks ridiculous?

• Isthisforeal BLACKFOOT, ID
    Dec. 14, 2011 1:08 a.m.

More embarrassed by Glen Beck or Harry Reid?

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Dec. 14, 2011 4:57 a.m.

Newt likes big government, Mitt does not.

That is what Glenn is pointing out. He did it in his flamboyant way, but that doesn´t mean his message is wrong (it is actually right on).

Unfortunately there are too many prejudice and unintelligent people posting on this story. Most of these people would claim the world is flat if Beck had said the world is round.

• SimonSays Riverton, UT
    Dec. 14, 2011 6:11 a.m.

This may be the first time that I have ever agreed with Beck.

• Tekakaromatagi Dammam, Saudi Arabia
    Dec. 14, 2011 7:12 a.m.

I think President Gingrich would be a disaster. He says dumb stuff without thinking. I cringe to think of the foreign policy blunders he will make when his mouth runs off.

He had a chance to do some good as speaker of the house in the 1990's. He blew it with his big mouth. No more chances.

• bandersen Saint George, UT
    Dec. 14, 2011 7:46 a.m.

The march of the Naive continue! A new Republican or Democratic savior to lead us off a cliff! Anybody who believes that more of the same is going to make a difference is living in a fantasyland! "Mirror, Mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?" Wake up, America! Americans ought to try Liberty! Glen Beck ruffles a few feathers by actually injecting some thinking into the naive Democratic 'Government is the answer' people or, just as bad, the Republican 'My leaders have my best interest in mind' crowd and they come unhinged! Wake up!

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 14, 2011 8:27 a.m.

re:CHS 85

Gingrich was the author of "The Contract With America" during the Clinton years and it was that contract which Clinton wisely bought into that led to economic boom for at least ten years thereafter. The GOP held congress at that time and Gingrich's plan for restoring American prosperity worked. Today we have a radical lefty Marxist in the White House that unlike Clinton will NOT compromise an inch from his radical left posture resulting in gridlock. Gingrich does have other issues but his economic record is NOT one of them....and by the way I would say that the economy IS the 800 lb gorilla in the room right now !!!

• coleman51 Orem, UT
    Dec. 14, 2011 9:10 a.m.

Very good article and absolutely correct. I could not of said it better myself. Gingrich would be a massive mistake if he were the nominee and would guarantee the re-election of Barack Obama. The tea party better wake up soon to this and take off their eyes of selective amnesia.

• Harry Case CITRUS HEIGHTS, CA
    Dec. 14, 2011 9:23 a.m.

I'm having a real hard time with both candidates. I see them both as big government liberals. I'm disgusted at the thought of either one of them becoming president. Of course Obama is far worse, but wow, can't we come up with anyone better? Someone who believes in the preeminence of the constitution? I'll vote for Santorum, even though he has little chance of getting the nomination, because I can't stomach the thought that with either Gingrich or Romney we will be stuck with Obamacare, big government spending us into destruction and no border or immigration enforcement. I could go on, but I won't. I'm really sickened by the whole thing.

• The Vanka Provo, UT
    Dec. 14, 2011 9:28 a.m.

Whether you like it or not, Mitt Romney, Glenn Beck, Harry Reid, Jon Huntsman, and the rest all represent Mormonism. That is what the LDS Church wants, for every member to be a missionary and an "example" - a light on the hill, taking your candle out from under the bushel, and all that sort of thing (the spirit and gist of the I'm a Mormon public relations campaign).

But these people are miles apart on politics: Beck vs Reid, for instance.

So what is the common denominator?

It is a scripturally-based vision of the (near) future with the Mormon Church having political dominion over the entire earth, and will "cut off" those who do not hear and obey the Mormon leaders. See D&C 1:13-14

Partisan politics don't matter to these Mormons. Only Mormon dominion matters.

And that is why I oppose them. All of them.

• Kiyo Washougal, Washington
    Dec. 14, 2011 10:06 a.m.

...I recieved a ROBO call from Newt Gingrich this morning early. I live In the state of Washington and have never given my name to any PAC. This means that he has big money following him from somewhere. I agree with Beck. Do we really want more of the same(different day) style of leadership? Romney-Bachman 2012.

• m.g. scott LAYTON, UT
    Dec. 14, 2011 10:06 a.m.

I have to agree with some who have mentioned the ability of Dems to get a weak Republican nominee. I was always suspicious of how McCain was able to come back when his campaign was out of money and he was returning home alone. Then all of the sudden he has money and wins a primary. Now, Newt has his entire staff quit (not a good sign for any leader) and now he is rich and likely to win lots of primaries. I never believed McCain was the most electable candidate, and I know Gingrich won't be. He has more baggage to handle than United Airlines. So who is behind these loser Republican candidates? Just a thought, Mr. Soros.

• Christy Beaverton, OR
    Dec. 14, 2011 10:21 a.m.

patriot said, "Sometimes you have to compromise rather than just set on the side and do nothing. Doing nothing is the WORST of choices some times. It made a a hard swallow to vote for Newt but to defeat the greater EVIL of Barack Hussin Obama - you have to do it!!!"

==========

So President Obama is 'evil'? Could I get even one example of how he is evil? Just one? Even Newt isn't 'evil', though he is immoral. And if you'd rather vote for someone who led a witch hunt while he was engaging in the very same behavior he was decrying, and someone who was brought up on ethics charges by a bipartisan congressional decision, then go ahead. It says a lot about you.

• casual observer Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 14, 2011 10:24 a.m.

Newt is not worth $1 million, but I'm certain he's weighing the offer. People on the far left don't like the conservative agenda and fortunately they constitute only ~20% of the electorate. The biggest segment is thoughtful, independent and does not reflexively bow to any party's jingoism.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    Dec. 14, 2011 11:05 a.m.

People need to be cautious with Newt Gingrich as he attacks a person that has helped companies as Staples, etc make a go of it. Not all companies are going to make a go of it due to inefficiencies and personnel. However, Mitt Romney helped companies either survive and give plenty of employees the opportunity to have a job. Unfortunately, due to the circumstances of the times, now or then, some people lost their jobs as some companies did not pull out of their problems.

Newt Gingrich has been on public funding for his jobs and even took over $1M of public money and reputation with Freddie and Fannie as an historian type of consultant. Historians may know some history and sometimes they skew history in their writings. I guess Fannie and Freddie don't want the history books to tell about their sliding popularity with those that bought homes and got loans with them. Newt may be smart at something but he loves his mouth too much to set real and lasting policies that will be good for the United States.

Our Country is made from innovative thoughts and processes. Processes have moved overseas and all we have are thoughts.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Dec. 14, 2011 11:30 a.m.

"Partisan politics don't matter to these Mormons. Only Mormon dominion matters."

Are you kidding me? This is a rediculas as saying Black voted for Obama in numbers because they wanted Black dominion? Good grief, what wharped thinking.

Blacks voted for Obama because of shared life experiences - what it is like to live as a minority in this country. Their ancestors shared the same expereinces, and they share the same bigotry.

Likewise, LDS people have a "shared experience", shared beleifs, shared history, and shared values. This isn't about dominion, it is about him being relateable to a particular voting group.

Sometimes people really go the extra mile to feel persecuted. It just goes to show that those at the extremes really aren't all that different. It is just how they want to see is persecuting them... same results, same fear mongering, same disdain for others.

Dominion.... what's next....

• SpanishImmersed Mesa, AZ
    Dec. 14, 2011 11:52 a.m.

Newt is the first of the non-Romneys to get recycled. The media thought they had him done in, and moved-on, so now they are back driving the support of Newt again. They know that only Mitt is moderate enough for those regretting their vote for Obama the first time, to vote Romney in 2012. Mitt is the only one who can defeat BHO.

• Kiyo Washougal, Washington
    Dec. 14, 2011 11:54 a.m.

...Thanks Glenn. I must confess that I could really never understand what you were trying to get at most of the time. Sorry for the run on sentance. But I love your focus here. Keep up the good work, and merry Christmas.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 14, 2011 12:02 p.m.

re:Christy

In 2008 I saw Obama as largely incompetent, and grossly over blown by the media with a mix of corruption. After 3+ ugly, nightmarish years I would say unequivocally that Barack has an agenda that involves the total transformation of the United States from a capitalistic, Judo Christian republic to a socialistic society that abandons the constitution and adopts Marxist ideology. Perhaps EVIL was not the best use of words. I think CLEAR and PRESENT DANGER is perhaps a better description of Barack Hussin Obama.

As far as Gingrich,recall Christy that it was the "Contract with America" that Gringrich formed during the 1990's and Bill Clinton was smart enough to adopt that led to a decade long economic boom. Facts are facts. Today, the 800 lb gorilla in the room is the dead economy... wouldn't you say? I might also add that after all the deception , distraction and smoke screens put by Barack and his lap dog media over the next 10 months it will still be THE ECONOMY that is first and foremost in peoples minds when the enter the voting booth.

• The Vanka Provo, UT
    Dec. 14, 2011 12:03 p.m.

Utahbluedevil,

apparently, you don't read your own scriptures and prophecies, nor do you attend your own temples.

The proof of Mormon Dominionism is all through it!

Pay attention better, and you will see it.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Dec. 14, 2011 1:45 p.m.

Ms Molli | 1:24 p.m. Dec. 13, 2011
    Bountiful, Utah

Ms. Molli: I do not speak for all LDS. But here's how I see Glenn:
    - He repented of many life choices and converted to the LDS Church about 10 years ago, after alcoholism about ruined his life, foregoing his past for a positive future. Yep, proud of that.
    - He didn't change his public persona with the religious conversion, but continues to speak his mind in the same manner, call them as he sees them, and tries to impact the US for good. Yep, proud of that.
    - He is a self-made man, hard-working, and takes care of his family. Yep, proud of that.
    - He is a passionate US Citizen, involved in the process unlike so many who sit ignorantly, complacently in their lay-z-boy watching reality bimbos vs reality thugs. Yep, pretty proud.

Is he obnoxious? Yes. Irreverent? Definitely. Often wrong? Sure. Often right on? Yep. Nothing to do with being LDS. Judge the man on the content of his character.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 14, 2011 2:40 p.m.

@patriot
    "After 3+ ugly, nightmarish years I would say unequivocally that Barack has an agenda that involves the total transformation of the United States from a capitalistic, Judo Christian republic to a socialistic society that abandons the constitution and adopts Marxist ideology."

"Ugly, nightmarish"
    Inherited -700k jobs/month rates, turned them positive within a year, now has 22 straight months of jobs growth.

You seem to not know what Obama is after, or you don't know what capitalistic, socialistic, or Marxist mean. Also we're not a "Judo Christian republic" in that we have religious freedom, and Chuck Norris isn't our leader.

• Christy Beaverton, OR
    Dec. 14, 2011 4:15 p.m.

When Obama is reelected, people like 'patriot' will see continued (albeit slow) growth in our economy. And no war with Iran. The same cannot be said of Romney or Gingrich who both advocate failed trickle-down economics, and think we need to go into Iran now that we're out of Iraq. And when Obama is reelected people like 'patriot' will continue to gnash and wail about Obama wanting to 'fundamentally change America'. It will just be business as usual on the AM waves and over at Fox.

Please, turn off Hannity and give it a rest.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    Dec. 14, 2011 4:56 p.m.

Ms. Molli,

There is only one who was perfect. The rest of us are waiting for the atonement to have full effect in our lives. Judging a church by imperfect members instead of judging it by the teachings of the Master is not the way that Christ would have us select His church.

-----

Before deciding which candidate to support, all we have to do is ask ourselves what America's greatest problem is. If economics (or lack thereof) is the greatest problem, then we should look at Mitt Romney. He's a qualified businessman who knows that government cannot hand out jobs without killing private sector jobs.

Mr. Obama doesn't know that. I'm not sure that Mr. Gingrich knows that.

Mr. Obama has increased the deficit by $5 TRILLION since he took office. That's about $17,000 for every man, woman and child in America. How long would it take the average family of four people to pay off the $68,000 that is their part of the ADDITIONAL deficit? It would surely take more than the three years that it took Mr. Obama to lay that debt on us.

America is bankrupt. That's the problem that needs fixing.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Dec. 16, 2011 10:49 a.m.

Vanka - I am guessing I attend a bit more often than you.....

You can twist and interpret as you will. You have an agenda to prove.

Nobody is delusional enough to think they will sway your opinion, but they also don't have to accept what you say as truth either. Claiming that you as as a non practicing critic understands the faith better than those who actively practice the faith is an absurd notion. This could explain your extrangement from faith in general. Who knows.

The fact is there is a broad spectrum of political thought within the ranks of the faith, these very post here prove that fact.

But I can assure you that the faith has no plan or plet at world domination. Simply it strives to make the faith available to all those who are willing to hear.

No coersion what so ever.

• A Guy With A Brain Enid, OK
    Dec. 16, 2011 2:43 p.m.

You want contrasts between Romney and Gingrich?

OK, here it is....

Romney is the adult in the room, while Gingrich is simply the repeat adulterer in the room.

There's no other way to say it.

Is Gingrich intelligent?

Is Gingrich passionate?

Very.

Can Gingrich be forgiven of his errors?

Is he trustworthy to lead America?

While Gingrich can be forgiven, and therefore eventually be trusted again (and that's the key word, "eventually") there simply isn't enough time for Gingrich to build up the level of trust between himself and the average America citizen (whom Newt has most likely never even met and never will meet) in order for Americans to say "Yes, I trust Newt Gingrich without hesitation."

One confessed session of adultery is serious enough, but two? Apparently, many Americans think adultery can be forgiven as easily as telling your wife you forgot to gas up her car when you borrowed it and that it should all be forgiven in the length of a 30-minute sitcom.

That line of thinking is sheer madness. Even dangerous.

Trust must be EARNED; it takes time and time is not what Gingrich has.

Romney: the adult in the room.