BYU football: Cougars announce home-and-home series with Washington State

Comments

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    Dec. 9, 2011 4:16 p.m.

Two weeks ago I would have told many of you that BYU would beat Washington State. Now that Leach is the new Coach I think Mendenhall will take his Lil Band of Brother T-shirt and have a burning session after the game! BYU will lose this game by a big score!!

• BYU Joe MISSION VIEJO, CA
    Dec. 9, 2011 4:20 p.m.

Yeah. Big time football comes to Provo.

Best if I just choke down this brussel sprout for one more year and hope that we get better teams lined up - Yes I know 2013 looks good but it is so hard to continue to eat this diet of badness while waiting on the treats.

I know the ships have sailed but I would rather have a fighting underdog chance against a steady diet of Big 12 teams than this cobbled together mix and match of teams from the underbelly of the Pac 12 and the WAC.

But if we win... Maybe we can play in the Hunger Bowl or whatever it is.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 4:37 p.m.

That is actually a pretty good schedule.

8 good opponents, in Utah, Boise, GT, WSU, USU, ND, OSU, and Hawaii. 4 lesser oppenents although Weber at least has some local interest as an opponent. Every game winnable but none of the 8 good ones are a guaranteed win.

I think they have done a very good job of putting the schedule together in such a short amount of time and the 2013 schedule looks really good.

Nice job!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 4:37 p.m.

Well 'girlse'...

According to your criteria that top notch competition is only to be found in BCS teams you should be jumping for joy that BYU's schedule for 2012 has risen exponentially by adding another BCS team.

The hypocrisy from you utesies is just pathetic.

It's a welcomed addition, we'll take any Pac 10.2 team on these terms and are grateful to Washington St for working this in.

We are also grateful for the Colorado Buffs, another BCS team, that recently graced our beautiful state.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 5:09 p.m.

@ Duckhunter | 4:37 p.m. Dec. 9, 2011
    Highland, UT

3 of those "good opponents" are from the PAC 12. You know the conference you spend all of your time bashing.

Pretty hypocritical of you.

Typical

• sls Columbia, MO
    Dec. 9, 2011 5:52 p.m.

This is a good way to prepare for the Utes and by starting out with their outstanding competition in the Pac 10.2. Utah will probably start with Montana.

• 17-14 Hurts Don't It? Springville, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 6:40 p.m.

54-10

Having a bad day are we?

Duckhunter's comment said absolutely nothing derogatory about your conference.

I on the other hand will. It ain't what its cracked up to be. Except for Oregon, Stanford and USC the rest of you mid-majors can fight amongst yourselves for the meager leftover bowls.

You lost to the Buffs, I know it still hurts but... get over it.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 6:47 p.m.

BYU vs. Washington State: Go Cougars! ha ha!

• gchris rock springs, wy
    Dec. 9, 2011 7:28 p.m.

While next year's schedule is better with Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, Boise State, Utah State and Hawaii, it still features bottom feeders from the WAC and PAC12. Playing Washington State, Oregon State and Utah doesn't exactly bolster the Cougars' strength of schedule, but show me a team from any BcS conference that doesn't play some patsies.

• flatlander Omaha, NE
    Dec. 9, 2011 8:04 p.m.

Well I guess playing the two bottom teams in the PAC 12 is better than two Idaho States

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Dec. 9, 2011 8:10 p.m.

No it's not an SEC schedule, but it's a whole lot better than a MWC schedule, and better than the 2011 schedule, and comparable to the Utes schedule (only time will tell for sure how comparable).

Here's how BYU's games match-up with the Utes. Where the match-up wasn't quite comparable, I listed a + by the team who has the more difficult opponent.

BYU OPPONENT - UTAH OPPONENT

Weber State - FCS opener
    Utah State - Utah State
    Utah - BYU
    Hawaii - Arizona State
    Oregon State - Oregon State
    Washington State - Washington State
    ++ Boise State - California
    Notre Dame - USC
    New Mexico State - + Arizona
    San Jose State - Colorado
    Idaho - + UCLA
    + Georgia Tech - Washington

The only games I wish we could switch would be New Mexico State for Air Force and Idaho for San Diego St. I like the rest of the scheduled oponents. Go Cougs!

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 8:52 p.m.

CougarFaninTX,

I agree except that USC is probably better than Notre Dame; especially if Barkley returns. I also don't know that I would rate Georgia Tech better than UW. The best part of this schedule is that most of the bad teams we play are on the road. Should be a decent home schedule for us.

Dec. 9, 2011 9:30 p.m.

A home and home with Washington State?

Congrats Cougars.

Must be fun to have a little taste of Utah's schedule...

Utah has a perpetual home and home series with Washington State, Oregon State, USC, Stanford, Cal., Oregon, etc...

Utah has a place at the "big boy" table of college football... and BYU gets another heaping helping of the WAC.

• Portland Beavers SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 9:47 p.m.

@gchris

I know Utah played a patsie (byu 54-10) are you serious. It will be three in a row next year for Utah, 8 out of last 11. Then the U will have to move on to bigger and better teams after next season. Sorry for leaving you behind, you guys will never know how fun it is being in a major conference. You are still nothing of nothing. Have fun watching nothing.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 9, 2011 9:49 p.m.

Oh, Howard

WSU OSU CU, big boys?

You can do better than that.

• SportzFan Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 9:50 p.m.

Indeed, Howard, Utah does have a home-and-home, with Colorado, Washington, ASU, Cal, USC... See a trend there? (Colorado... still makes me laugh!)

Dec. 9, 2011 9:59 p.m.

@ Y Grad/Y Dad

Of course Utah would prefer San Jose, NM State, and Idaho in November... but they were already booked... So we had to settle for BCS teams.

Dec. 9, 2011 10:09 p.m.

@SportzFan

It seems that if it weren't for Utah/Colorado, BYU would have had little to cheer about this year... smacks of "little brother".

BYU has a date with... (I can't remember)... in the...(insert third tier bowl game here).

I'd rather be in Utah's position.... and so would the Cougar Nation.

• News For U Sandy, Utah
    Dec. 9, 2011 10:11 p.m.

Here BYU fans talk about how bad Washington State is when Utah played them this year. You guys call them the "bottom feeders" of the Pac-12. Here BYU announces a home and home series with them and you Y fans are saying they're a solid program for your schedule.

Hypocrisy from BYU fans at it's finest! So what is it Y fans? Is Washington State that bad, I mean "bottom feeder" bad? or are they a solid Pac-12 team?

This is so BYU! It's hilarious!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 10:14 p.m.

@kosta 54-10 mcnuggetville

I said "good" opponents, I didn't say 'great' or 'excellent' or even 'really good', just "good". Boise might be considered "really good" except they lose their qb and several more players. The rest are just "good" at best.

Also "good" doesn't necessarily mean the team itself is "good" more like it just is an interesting opponent for various reasons. I don't really think you can classify OSU, WSU or utah as "good" teams but they do all hold interest for some reason. Mike leach taking over at WSU makes that one interesting, the return game from OSU makes that one interesting. The utah game is interesting because of what it is and because of this years result.

But no those certainly aren't great teams by any stretch.

Dec. 9, 2011 10:20 p.m.

@Duckhunter

"But no those certainly aren't great teams by any stretch."
    ***************

So where are all the great teams ringing Tom Holmoe's phone off the hook for a chance to play BYU?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 10:42 p.m.

@howie

You can only schedule 12 per year. But of course even you realize most games are scheduled several years in advance, we'll see them as they sign the contracts.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Dec. 9, 2011 10:42 p.m.

Announce? I thought this was already a done deal, just needed the date settled.

Anyway, I agree with duckhunter about his "good" team assessment, with maybe the exception of Hawaii. The Rainbow warriors have generally not been a good mainland team. I would have put them in the "Idaho" category.

Of course, that is next year and we haven't even finished this one.
    ====

I do find it ironic that some BYU fans have chosen to bash Utah's bowl opponent and then gone on to tout how awesome it will be to play GATech next year. Do they have some sort of awesome recruiting class coming in or something?

Dec. 9, 2011 11:09 p.m.

Duckhunter

"You can only schedule 12 per year."
    ***********

Riiight... It must have been tough to turn down LSU, Alabama, Oregon, and Stanford because there just wasn't room on the schedule... especially after signing San Jose, NM St, and Idaho.

• Disgruntled Nephi, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 11:17 p.m.

Yes, Howard we know Utah has a date with #45 Georgia Tech from the mighty ACC, the only BCS conference that just might be worse than the PAC 3 top to bottom. We're all jealous.

• Disgruntled Nephi, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 11:23 p.m.

Howard, funny you should mention the only Pac 3 teams you didn't play in your post. Aren't you glad you didn't play a real PAC 3 schedule? You wouldn't have that great bowl matchup to brag about if you had. You will never get a better opportunity to play in the PAC 3 championship not playing Stanford or Oregon or even have to beat USC and you still couldn't do it! Brag about your Pac schedule when you play (or beat) the best teams.

• JJL Eugene, OR
    Dec. 9, 2011 11:25 p.m.

Go (Pac-12) Cougs!

• Bleed Crimson Sandy, Utah
    Dec. 9, 2011 11:25 p.m.

@ 17-14 Hurts Don't It?

"You lost to the Buffs, I know it still hurts but... get over it".

You lost to the Utes 54-10, I know it still hurts but.... get over it!

Dec. 9, 2011 11:29 p.m.

@Disgruntled

Dissing Georgia Tech?

Isn't that the same Ga. Tech match up that BYU announced with such rejoicing and fanfare?

Dec. 9, 2011 11:34 p.m.

@17-14 Hurts Don't It?

It must be a sad existence when the highlight of your football season is Utah's misstep against Colorado... can you say "little brother"?

• 86&90UTE Holladay, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 11:39 p.m.

Just think.....Jake Heaps could play for WSU and Coach Leach and actually throw for 350 yards in a 35 to 10 win over BYU in 2013!! WOW!

Dec. 9, 2011 11:42 p.m.

@Disgruntled

"You will never get a better opportunity to play in the PAC 3 championship..."
    **********

Whatever Utah's PAC 12 championship opportunities are, they are infinitely greater than BYU's.

BYU, however, does hold the distinct honor of being the 2011 unofficial WAC champion... soooo... you do have that going for you... which is nice.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 11:49 p.m.

@Cougfanintx

I'd agree for the most part, except USC even without Barkley is probably going to be better than Notre Dame. This year Georgia Tech and washington are fairly evenly ranked... I do like Georgia Tech's prospects for next year a bit more than Washington's so I won't say you're wrong on that one, I just would not be too surprised if they were even.

The important thing is the part you got right that almost nobody else seems to acknowledge... BYU and Utah are fairly evenly matched despite all the 9-3 vs 7-5 and the 45-10 claims.

@Howard S.
    "BYU has a date with... (I can't remember)... "

Tulsa. You'd remember if you actually paid attention to college football seeing as Tulsa is ranked higher than Utah, Georgia Tech, and BYU. They went 8-4 with their 4 losses being to teams that when they played them were in the top 10.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 11:52 p.m.

@Disgruntled
    "Yes, Howard we know Utah has a date with #45 Georgia Tech from the mighty ACC, the only BCS conference that just might be worse than the PAC 3 top to bottom."

It's pretty obvious that the ACC is worse than the PAC-12. Oh and you forgot about the existence of the Big East, though in fairness they shouldn't even be a BCS conference.

Dec. 10, 2011 12:09 a.m.

@ atl134

"Tulsa. You'd remember if you actually paid attention to college football..."
    ************

Is that the same Tulsa of the non-BCS CUSA with a strength of schedule ranked 60th as compared to Utah's 37th ranked SOS?

• Chris from Rose Park PROVO, UT
    Dec. 10, 2011 1:54 a.m.

@CougFanin TX - I like what he says. I agree for the most part. I feel like the schedules are relatively even. I think being in the PAC 12, the Utes are able to play more established and prestigious schools. Has Cal been great in the past? Yes. Is Boise St. better now? Yes. Does playing Arizona St. sound better than playing Hawaii? I think so.

I'm excited for the future. I am a Coug fan through and through and I'm hoping to have great schedules in the future. This November was boring, it was. Was it worse than the MWC? Somewhat. I think the future looks much brighter. I've accepted the fact that as long as we are independent are November schedules will have WAC teams; I would hope to get the service academies in the schedules (they don't always have the best records but I think it would be fun to play them).

By the way, there will always be Utah people that bash on BYU as well as BYU people bashing on Utah. I wish it wasn't so. I think it's fun to trash talk but only when there is a common understanding between the two parties that it's just for fun. Disrespect for either side is poor behavior. A dislike and disagreement is fine if that is what someone feels, but a lack of respect is never warranted.

I am curious, why were there two pages of comments at this article posted at 4:30 and not a single comment on a Ute article about the bowl game posted at 6:30?

• Noblepromise PROVO, UT
    Dec. 10, 2011 6:18 a.m.

I commend BYU scheduler for getting another PAC12 team in 2012 schedule. As next year schedule is better than 2011, in that they have six good games teams from BCS conference in: Utah, Oregon State, Washington State, Boise State, and Georgia Tech and well known independent in Notre Dame. I wouldn't have scheduled these five teams: Weber State, Utah State, New Mexico State, San Jose State, and Idaho. Playing them does nothing in helping BYU advance in the weekly poll ranking as this year 9-3 season showed that. I would only schedule Hawaii as 13th game if played in Hawaii. Playing a team from a BCS conference far outweighs playing a team from the MWC, WAC, or C-USA conference. We kid ourselves if we think those teams are at the same level as a team from the BCS conference when judged by the coaches and/or sports media pollsters.

• 17-14 Hurts Don't It? Springville, UT
    Dec. 10, 2011 6:58 a.m.

@Howard S

The Colorado Buffs Co-won an NC in 1990 and have been playing big boy conference football since the Utes were in diapers.

In fact you should probably think about changing the Ute diapers now. It's been two weeks.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Dec. 10, 2011 9:57 a.m.

@Chris from Rose Park

"...why were there two pages of comments at this article posted at 4:30 and not a single comment on a Ute article about the bowl game posted at 6:30?

Well Chris, that's a really good question. Stay on here long enough and monitor enough stories and you will quickly discover the answer you are seeking.

In the end you will find that there are simply more BYU 'fans' than Ute fans. Perhaps you can contact someone at a 'resurch skool' to help validate that for you. I would.

The sports program that has more national relevance is usually the one that garners the most 'fans' for and against it. It also helps to have a 'religious affiliation' that adds that welcomed 'lightening rod' effect to attract funny commentary and critical analysis necessary for sports columns.

I hope this helps you in understanding the well documented disparity between BYU and Ute stories on the DNews.

It also must be pointed out that the vulgarity well documented on the Trib site would explain why not too many BYU fans comment over there. Over here things are a little more civil. Hope you noticed the difference.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 10, 2011 10:19 a.m.

So hilarious yet predictable to see the regular BYU faces (Ducky) posting comments about next years schedule that contradict everything they tear down about Utah's schedule.
    There's not a shred of credibility left for you guys, you've spoken out of both sides of your mouths far too many times.

Cougfanintx -
    Nice try.
    San Jose St - Colorado +
    Notre Dame - USC +
    GTech - Washington - even or Washington but not GTech.

Everything else was accurate.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 10, 2011 10:56 a.m.

Go Cougars! Man we will totally win the national champs with this here schedule.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Dec. 10, 2011 11:12 a.m.

What is sad is all the meaningless banter on this blog! My dad can whip your dad. Can not! Can too! So very childish! Grow up and get a life!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 10, 2011 11:46 a.m.

@MiP

You are probably correct about Hawaii but like I said there are things that make a game with a team 'good' other than just the quality of the team. Playing Hawaii is "good" for BYU for multiple reasons. One would be a better recruiting presence in Hawaii which BYU needs. Another is just that they have played each other for many years, it is something of a rivalry, and that makes it a "good" game to schedule. I would actually compare it to playing Utah St. which I consider a "good" game for some of the same reasons.

One of the things that some BYU fans and the obvious utah trolls like howie don't understand is that you simply can't play Texas followed by Alabama followed by Oklahoma followed by USC followed by Notre Dame followed by Wisconsin followed by LSU followed by Boise St followed by Penn St, followed by Nebraska followed by Stanford followed by Oklahoma st. No one can play a schedule like that and survive it.

Schedules need to have a balance which is what most teams try to acheive. BYU just needs to upgrade the bottom of the schedule and they are.

• Luv 2 Troll U Sandy, UT
    Dec. 10, 2011 12:11 p.m.

I thought the Cougies were slamming the U for playing Washington St., and now they are embracing them as an opponent?

I agree. Hypocrisy.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Dec. 10, 2011 12:45 p.m.

I think the schedule is getting better for BYU in the future, but it will always have the November scheduling problems as most of the nation is in conference play. The big teams in the big conferences will only want to schedule a one-time home game or some neutral site game, or maybe a two-for-one. If BYU wants to play up, they will have to schedule these teams, but I am kind of thinking they don't want to since they have turned down a chance to play in a BCS conference twice.

I don't want to hear anything about the TV deal--that is a lame excuse. BYU isn't close to declaring bankruptcy. They don't need the money, and no team in the nation in a conference gets exclusive rights to rebroadcast games. BYU prefers the money and to pick their own schedule. They don't want to compete on a national stage--that's fine. It would have been nice to see two BCS teams in state, but they made their choice.

Here's hoping Weber State (with Smith) can cover the spread down in Provo next year, or pull off an upset! Have a great day everybody!

• 17-14 Hurts Don't It? Springville, UT
    Dec. 10, 2011 1:07 p.m.

Luv 2 troll U

Works both ways. U guys say that BCS opponents are stacked with 'superior athletes' and that the only way to a BCS bowl is through a stronger SOS or AQ conference. So here's BYU scheduling a game with a BCS opponent over a WAC one and you cry foul.

Which is it?

Oh, I forgot... you lost to Colorado. No wonder you're confUsed.

Who's hypocritical and commenting on a BYU story?

Dec. 10, 2011 1:36 p.m.

@Duckhunter

"BYU just needs to upgrade the bottom of the schedule..."
    ***********

Upgrade the bottom of the schedule?

With who?

BYU's November schedule will always feature the WAC and the MWC/CUSA.

There are no other teams for BYU to play in November because major conference teams are not going to interrupt their November conference schedules to play BYU.

BYU's scheduling is what it is, and it isn't getting any better.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 10, 2011 2:38 p.m.

@howie

I don't care about utah's schedule and am pretty sure it isn't the subject of this thread. But since we're on the topic what was so great about utah's November schedule this year? I don't remember them playing anyone all that great and do remember them losing, at home, to one of the worst teams in the country that month.

But that said why is the Novemeber schedule so much more important than any other month? Yes I realize utah trolls like yourself have latched onto that talking point to try and use it as a way to bash BYU but I really don't care what month they play who in.

I care that they play a balanced schedule with a couple of top name teams, several good matchup type teams, a couple of "tune up" type games, a couple of rivalry or local interest games and at least half of the more interesting games at home. I don't care what month any of them are in.

BYU is an independent and as such what they do is going to be different than almost everyone else. That is ok with me.

• Disgruntled Nephi, UT
    Dec. 10, 2011 2:40 p.m.

Howard, I am dissing the fact you think Utah has such a great bowl game. Did I say anything about next year's schedule? Didn't think so. Fortunately for you, of the five possible bowl opponents for Utah, Georgia Tech is the ONE you might have a chance to beat.

• Pugman TREMONTON, UT
    Dec. 10, 2011 2:47 p.m.

Ute fans dissing BYU's schedule again...sigh....this really gets old. If the Ute fans want a dose of reality...go on the national boards of college football and read what fans from California to New York say about your team. And last but not least always remember this one fact....You have a pair of former Cougars who know alttle bit about putting together champions who coach your team. How ironic is that. At least you love those two Cougars. Go ask Chow how irrelivant that 1984 National Championship team was.

• mightymite DRAPER, UT
    Dec. 10, 2011 2:51 p.m.

Wow, WSU.. Is that exciting?? Again we will be taliking about the 2017 schedule...? Pretty weak, the Cougs should have staid put in the MWC instead of making this mess.

• Luv 2 Troll U Sandy, UT
    Dec. 10, 2011 2:53 p.m.

17-14 Hurts DOESN'T It?

Hypocrisy for commenting on a BYU story? The door swings both ways by your definition:

Utah basketball article:

17-14 Hurts Don't It? | 11:59 a.m. Dec. 10, 2011
    Springville, UT
    Beatdown begins in 2 minutes. Can't wait to see this circus.

"Competitive ability comes and goes but a BCS opponent is a BCS opponent, right? Superior athletes?

Oh, I forgot... you lost to Colorado. No wonder you're confUsed." (Never mentioned I was confused, check my comment again before posting).

Colorado is BCS opponent too, so it doesn't matter what their record is.... right?

It seems that Colorado is more fitting for a rival than byu would ever be, 7-10 Utes in favor from the last 10 years?
    54-10 in LES? Rivalries shouldn't be called rivalries when the record is 7-10, but rather called a "beat down of little brother".

Why bring up Colorado? I didn't say anything about Colorado. I just mentioned that BYU fans had a hay day telling us we beat WSU when they are a "cupcake" and now BYU schedules a "great team" that goes by the same name.

Which is it?

Dec. 10, 2011 4:19 p.m.

@Duckhunter

"But that said why is the Novemeber schedule so much more important than any other month?"
    *************

You can't be serious, Mr. Duckhunter. Along with bowl season November is the most critical month of the college football season.

November is when conference championships are determined. You may recall that Utah was in the PAC 12 championship race until the last November game of the season. Conference races create interest in college football.

November is when rivalries are played. I know you watched Utah play its new rival Colorado. You mention that game more than any BYU game this year.

So while November is the month that most of college football is focused on conference races and rivalry games, BYU is on the shelf playing meaningless WAC games and literally invisible on rivalry weekend.

So if you are okay with BYU being different, as in irrelevant in November, then you and the collective Cougar Nation should be very happy.

As for balance, a few decent teams in September and the cup cakes of the WAC in November is not balance.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 10, 2011 6:36 p.m.

@howie

Well we'll just have to see how future schedules pan out but it makes no difference to me what month a particular game is played in. Yes I did watch utah play colorado, I enjoyed it very much. According to BYU's 2013 schedule they play Notre Dame in November and from what I hear the long term series with Boise is supposed to be played in November after the 1st couple of years. Hawaii in November is just fine as well. But really it doesn't matter to me, it seems to matter a great deal more to utah trolls like yourself. But the funny thing is that as "irrelevent" as BYU's November schedule supposedly was they were still on ESPN for both games as well as the Hawaii game which happened the 1st weekend of December. Seems like they still manage to get on national tv somehow. Once again that works for me.

• joecoog North Las Vegas, NV
    Dec. 10, 2011 7:08 p.m.

Who had a better year, Oklahoma State or Iowa State? According to a few ute fans, Iowa state since they won the game between them, who cares about the entire season. Yes, the beat down that byu got from utah was bad but if we go by the entire season, byu had the better year. If you dont beleive me check your precious bcs rankings that has byu at 32 and utah at 49. And for good measue, tulsa, the bowl opponent that utah fans bash on are 40th, 9 spots ahead of utah.

Dec. 10, 2011 8:20 p.m.

@Duckhunter

It certainly seems that the Utah/Colorado game was more satisfying for you than any Cougar victory this year. The interesting thing is that your enjoyment of Utah/Colorado simply reinforces the irrelevance of BYUs 2011 schedule.

But whatever...

As for Notre Dame - When you agree to a 4 for 2 deal, I guess they would agree to come to Provo in November once in a while.

As for Boise - Don't be so sure that the Big East will release them from conference competition to play BYU in November.

As for Hawaii - November or December, it is still the WAC.

As for ESPN games in November - ESPN broadcasts of championship poker and the national spelling bee still don't make those relevant events.

The truth is that if a program is not relevant in November, it simply can't be relevant at all.

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    Dec. 10, 2011 8:23 p.m.

joecoog,

Numberwise, you're right.

Just as Boise St can do it, so can BYU. Play cupcakes and beat them to go undefeated a few times (BYU still can't do this) and just wait for teams above you in rankings to lose. If you go by strength of schedule, it's a different story.

• 61Cougar Seattle, Wa
    Dec. 10, 2011 8:56 p.m.

Howard S. | 10:09 p.m. Dec. 9, 2011

"But whatever... Utah has a date with Ga. Tech of the ACC in the Sun Bowl ($2.0 million payout)...
    I'd rather be in Utah's position.... and so would the Cougar Nation."

Utah's $2.0M will be split amongst 12 Pac-12 Schools after expenses are factored in. Utah fans need to be VERY grateful to Oregon & Stanford, which secured 2 BCS bowl invites--one of them being the $17M Rose Bowl. With the other bowl games factored in, the Pac-12's 7-team bowl revenue pot will be $30M this year. Less $10M estimated for expenses (by the LA Times), each team in the Pac-12 will be awarded $1.6M as their share of the bowl revenue.

BYU will get to keep all of it's bowl money after expenses and all of it's TV revenue for this year--which puts BYU on top of Utah $$ wise for the year in total. That will not be the case going forward once the Pac-12 TV deal kicks in and Utah becomes fully vested.

• morganh Orem, Utah
    Dec. 10, 2011 9:35 p.m.

This article is all about B.Y.U's schedule and I don't see any mention of Utah's PAC12 schedule. To all those trolls who trump their new found AQ status in the PAC 12 that could very well change in 2014 if the BCS decides to eliminate AQ status and only sponsor the National Championship. If that happens then the only relevant teams to the BCS will be number 1 and number 2 which most likely wont include Utah or my beloved Cougars.

• Bleed Crimson Sandy, Utah
    Dec. 10, 2011 10:16 p.m.

@morganh

"To all those trolls who trump their new found AQ status in the PAC 12 that could very well change in 2014 if the BCS decides to eliminate AQ status and only sponsor the National Championship. If that happens then the only relevant teams to the BCS will be number 1 and number 2 which most likely wont include Utah or my beloved Cougars".

The elimination of the AQ status will make things even worse for BYU as far as bowl games go. If AQ status goes away, the 4 major BCS bowls (Orange, Sugar, Fiesta, and Rose) will align themselves with their conference of choice. BYU can only play for the bowl game they have contracts with. Utah can play for the Rose Bowl if they win their conference. I'm not saying it will be easy! But, the Rose Bowl is what Utah has going for them. If the BCS only controls the National Championship Game. Utah would have a better shot at the title game due to their conference affiliation, but they still would have to go undefeated. For BYU it will be a lot harder due to SOS reasons (see Boise State).

• joecoog North Las Vegas, NV
    Dec. 10, 2011 10:44 p.m.

gogetter,
    its not just me or cougar fans that are saying the cougs had a better year. Its national voters. Look at the 3 major polls- the ap, coaches, and harris. All three say the cougs had a better year and they dont just go by won loss record although im sure that is part of it but they take into account everything like how you won or loss regardless.
    Yes, byu had cup cakes on their schedule but they beat them soundly. Of the non bowl teams (ie cupcakes) they played they beat by an avg of 21.4 points. On the other hand utah beat non bowl teams by an avg of 10.2 points and actually lost to one. It gets worse if you look at how utah moved the ball against the worst teams they faced. In those games utah avged 308.6 ypg and the opponents actually out gained them 350 ydg. That is why anyone that is not a utah fan will put byu ahead of utah this year (once again look at all the polls)

• manaen Buena Park, CA
    Dec. 11, 2011 4:57 a.m.

Cool, this gives BYU a legitimate chance for more Pac-12 wins next year than Utah will have.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Dec. 11, 2011 4:15 p.m.

"BYU's scheduling is what it is, and it isn't getting any better.

Utah on the other hand has perpetual home and home schedules with some of the most storied programs in collegiate history."

First of all, I guess you are right. I forgot that Howard knows more than Tom Holmoe. Tom Holmoe's visions of good programs we have signed deals with (such as Notre Dame and Texas) only exist in his mind. Thanks for setting us straight, Howard.

As far as playing historically storied programs, I took a look at ESPN's top 25 most prestigious programs. I noticed that Georgia Tech and Notre Dame, whom BYU play next year, are listed there, along with some PAC opponents that BYU has also recently played (and beat) such as UCLA and Washington. Let's not forget Texas. However, props to Utah for having a home and home with a storied program that BYU has not been able to schedule: BYU.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 11, 2011 9:36 p.m.

@howie

You know ute trolls like yourself continue to try and propagate the lie that conferences won't let there teams play ooc after September. Only one conference (the pac12) has that mandate and even then only some of the schools in that conference are forced to live by that mandate. Mainly the bottom feeders with no clout like utah. Stanford and USC both play ooc in November but of course they are the big dogs and they get to make the rules for the bottom feeders like utah and exempt themselves from them.

But of course that doesn't apply to other conferences and none of the others, not one, mandates that. As with most things you ute trolls post here it is simply untrue.

Dec. 11, 2011 9:40 p.m.

@Riverton Cougar

Neither Texas, Georgia Tech, UCLA, Washington, Utah, nor any major conference team will play BYU in November. Don't believe me? Look at the open dates on BYUs future schedules through 2015.

Occasionally Notre Dame may concede to a November match up with BYU, but for the most part BYU's November schedule will be filled with byes and WAC/MWC/CUSA teams.

A perpetually weak November schedule will prevent BYU from a respectable schedule that will earn them anything more than a third tier bowl game.

It is what it is... Cougar fans... get used to it.

Dec. 11, 2011 10:16 p.m.

@Duckhunter

"You know ute trolls like yourself continue to try and propagate the lie that conferences won't let there teams play ooc after September."
    *******************

Okay Mr. Duckhunter, prove me wrong.

Please name one major conference team that has agreed to a November matchup with BYU.

Major conference teams simply will not interrupt their November conference races and rivalry games to play BYU. Look at the schedule.

You are correct that Staford and USC will play non-conference games in November... as long as the opponent is Notre Dame... but BYU is certainly no Notre Dame.

Weak November schedules = Collegiate football irrelevance.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Dec. 12, 2011 7:23 p.m.

"Neither Texas, Georgia Tech, UCLA, Washington, Utah, nor any major conference team will play BYU in November."

Trust me, that it more because of the conferences themselves. Utah would love to play BYU in November (although they are extremely glad they didn't this year). You make it sound as if nobody wants to play BYU. If so, it's because BYU is a good team and they want an undefeated November; they aren't willing to risk that for some out of conference opponent that they haven't established a rivalry with.

Dec. 12, 2011 10:59 p.m.

@Riverton Cougar

"You make it sound as if nobody wants to play BYU"
    **********

The ACC, the Big East, the Big 12, and the PAC 12 all play Notre Dame in November, they just don't want to play BYU in November... its just not worth disrupting conference races and rivalry games to play BYU.

Since Mr. Duckhunter hasn't bothered to respond, I'll ask Mr./Ms. Riverton Cougar to name one major conference team that has agreed to play BYU in November.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Dec. 13, 2011 12:13 a.m.

Howard, your point is very shallow. You make it sound like teams not wanting to interrupt conference play is somehow a slam on BYU. Conferences are making it more difficult to schedule out of conference opponents in November, even for rivalries (we're glad you notice Notre Dame being the exception, but they have a lot more history than BYU does, so that's understandable). Besides, Georgia Tech could very well be scheduled in November, as could Utah in future years; Utah is the only team BYU has a long, current, and exciting rivalry with.

Anyway, it's not like Utah could get a quality out of conference opponent in November if they tried (besides BYU, that is). Tell me, what quality out of conference opponents have they been able to line up, or get a one-and-one deal with? Is Notre Dame coming to RES? No? What about Texas?

Dec. 13, 2011 7:38 a.m.

@Riverton Cougar

For clarification Riverton, Georgia Tech/BYU is already scheduled for October.

Beyond that, the point is that BYU will never have a quality schedule as an independent because its November schedule will always be comprised of byes and WAC/MWC/CUSA competition.

Oh, and one more thing... Utah doesn't need out of conference games in November because we already have a full schedule of games with BCS teams on a home-and-home basis.