Dick Harmon: In negotiating with Big East, BYU demands were consistent

Comments

• No Conference Will Take Us SEATTLE, WA
    Nov. 25, 2011 9:01 p.m.

We can't be exclusive and have a deal that no other BCS conference team has either.
    So in a way we are being held hostage by the ESPN contract itself.

• TheCrow American Fork, UT
    Nov. 25, 2011 9:10 p.m.

Let's be patient and see how all this plays out.

• BYUHOCKEY American Fork, UT
    Nov. 25, 2011 9:21 p.m.

I am so glad that BYU is not in the Big Easy. The Big Easy will be imploding in 2013 and lose their AQ status. We as fans got robbed for years by the MWC TV deals. Independence is difficult but it is so much better than the MWC status which is all the Big Easy can hope for in the future. Superconferences are on the horizon. BYU is in the driver's seat. Don't forget Who is in charge of the university.

• In Stitches Provo, Utah
    Nov. 25, 2011 9:22 p.m.

We'll see what happens. Meanwhile, we will continue to win the games we are supposed to win and, hopefully, throw in some surprise wins against teams we are supposed to lose to.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Nov. 25, 2011 9:34 p.m.

I'm not sure if it's my imagination, or if it's real; but BYU's negotiations with the Big East seemed to changed about the same time that BCS began eliminating AQ status and only sponsoring the championship game. BCS status and easier scheduling were the only things the Big East had to offer BYU.

• SLC BYU Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 25, 2011 9:51 p.m.

It was VERY celar to BYU that some of the same schisters behind the MWC deal were angling for the Big East. This is something that BYU should NEVER tolerate. With the Big 12 it was merely FOX TV Sports-Net that didn't like the :no Sunday play" policy dictated by LDS Church rules. The Big 12 will soon be entering territory where ESPN will likely control theri destiny as they renegotiate 1st teir rights that will exceed what FOX put on the table and why FOX resisted the idea of BYU going to the Big 12 even though all the presidents wanted them.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Nov. 25, 2011 9:57 p.m.

I have said for months that belonging to a BCS conf. isn't as big a deal as many want to make it. Yes, the money is good and the sceduling is easier but other than that it really isn't that neat. Winning is the key, Utah had a decent yr, (nothing like what the ute fans hoped for ) but they may not even get into a bowl game, who knows? Just like so many teams/ universities that belong to BCS conferences half of them won't get into a bowl game. BYU being and staying independent may be what is best for BYU. I trust those in positons of responsibility at BYU , they will make decisions that will be what is best for BYU.

• RaininTime Orem, UT
    Nov. 25, 2011 10:19 p.m.

If this article is accurate, and I have no reason to believe otherwise, then BYU was looking out for BYU's fan base, which demands games be on KBYUtv.

I have no problem with BYU standing firm on the rights to broadcast home games that the "mothership" won't broadcast.

I watched the BYU basketball team beat Nevada today on BYUtv. Under the old MWC deal, this would not have occurred and the reason's given by the MWC were absurd and mostly because they wanted the BYU fan base to watch what was on the MTN, which was usually something like Air Force vs Southwestern of the Northern Lights State, and BYU fans would miss out on the opportunity of watching their Cougs.

So in spite of the the negative attention of negotiating with those two conferences got BYU, mainly from those who have lost all sense of the meaning of "Student Athlete," I am proud of BYU for standing up for us, their fans.

So, instead of BYU worrying about so called relevance in November, they took care of me, their loyal, card carrying, tithe-paying multi sport season ticket holder, who sends my kids and money to BYU and BYUtv

• oh ye confederacy of dunces Flushing, NY
    Nov. 25, 2011 10:37 p.m.

Staying "consistent" with BYU's ESPN broadcast deal may be the very thing that leads to irrelevance for the cougs if super conferences emerge and no one wants BYU because of their history of failed BCS negotiations (0 for 2). BYU could easily be on the outside looking in when it is all said and done, and the decision to stay "consistent" may be seen as the worst decision that could have possibly been made.

Here's to hoping that the BOT at BYU knows something that us fans don't, because right now it is not looking good--as much as we try to polish it up.

• Fuzz Springville, UT
    Nov. 25, 2011 10:45 p.m.

I am part of BYU's fan base, and I demand that BYU join a conference so they have something to play for every year. I demand that BYU be upfront and truthful when speaking to me. I demand that BYU get off it's high horse and stop expecting what no one else has EVER had. And last, I demand Dick Harmon stop spewing BYU fodder when we all know he doesn't believe it himself.

• Winglish Lehi, UT
    Nov. 25, 2011 11:01 p.m.

I have really enjoyed watching the games on BYUtv. I'm torn, though, because watching blowouts against New Mexico State and Idaho is not that exciting. At least in conference play there was always the competition between teams to see who got into what bowl game. Now it seems like there is nothing to play for except the fun of the game, which really isn't that fun when it's a game against inferior opponents.

• Hoosier87 American Fork, UT
    Nov. 25, 2011 11:21 p.m.

I'm a little disappointed in no Big12 and no Big East, but I do know that the future of BYU and the eventual exposure that will come to the school and my religion will ultimately be second to none.

The places BYU will go and the accomplishments of this school are exciting to consider. No slight to the U of U, or any other school for that matter, but BYU has the resources and opportunity that they can never match.

I'm not too worried, by 2013, that schedule will be fantastic to go along with that exposure.

I trust it's gonna work out how it's supposed to!

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Nov. 25, 2011 11:22 p.m.

Dick glosses over it casually, but it is a fact no BCS conference member retains broadcast rights.

It is just not done. It's part of what schools commit to the conference in order to receive the benefits of conference membership.

Is BYU just seeking consistency? No, because a two-party deal between ESPN and BYU granting broadcast rights is not consistent in the context of a conference where third party conference members would be impacted.

BYU wanted the unprecedented benefit of retained broadcast rights, and the benefits of conference membership.

As my Grandma used to say you can't have your cake and eat it too.

But that is exactly what BYU wanted.

• dedmonds SANDY, UT
    Nov. 25, 2011 11:42 p.m.

Well just so everyone knows texas has a similar deal to what BYU wanted so we cant say no other BCS school doesn't have one. But lets be honest the Big East will probably lose their AQ status and when it happens would we have been better off than we were when we were in the MWC. I think in the long run it will be a good move by the big wigs of BYU.

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    Nov. 25, 2011 11:54 p.m.

I love being able to watch the games on ESPN and BYUtv. It is infinitely better than the mtn. I'm in graduate school out of state now and if it wasn't for the change I probably wouldn't have seen any of the games this year. I appreciate BYU's admin looking out for those of us out of state.

I recognize Independence has not been great to the season ticket holders this first year, but hopefully better home games will come.

• teleste Provo, UT
    Nov. 25, 2011 11:56 p.m.

After all is said and done, the Honor Code, the no Sunday rule, and BYU's location in Provo will keep it from ever being able to recruit the best talent. BYU will never be able to consistently play with the big boys or contend seriously for a national championship...it just can't.

It coulda (and did) in the 80s...30 years later now though it just won't happen.

All of this squabbling over conferences, rights, money, image, publicity, whatever...just details.

• Maddog1 BRIGHAM CITY, UT
    Nov. 25, 2011 11:57 p.m.

Why are BYU fans so bugged by not being in the big East? It is a sinking ship and desperate to survive. We are much better off as an independent. Just relax and quit worrying about Utah, they will go the way of Washington State and be mediocre for years to come.
    The football schedules will get better with plenty of big schools coming to Provo.
    The exposure of BYUtv will mean good recruits will continue to come.
    For all of Utah's work and amazing conference their headed to the Vegas Bowl to play TCU and will end the year 7-6.

• SammFan Sammamish, WA
    Nov. 26, 2011 12:11 a.m.

I love the small-minded comments! It blows my mind that BYU continues to accomplish waht many say they cannot (not just sports but with academics)and yet there are so many willing to believe they are smarter than the BYU Admin, Trustees, coaches, etc and know all there is to know about the negotiations. Would Notre Dame give up their rights to join an all-powerful, BCS conference? (I can hear it now: "BUT BYU is NOT ND!" well, they never will be if they join the Big East or you-pick-it conference. Why shouldn't BYU do something "nobody else gets"? Holy smokes -- Get some vision. (That means you: "oh ye confederacy of dunces"; "Fuzz"; and, "Howard S"). The WORST possible outcome of independence is better than life in another situation like the MTN. And can you imagine that scenario (not seeing many games on TV) and having to travel back east to see BYU play for any number of games!?

• TwoBitsWorth Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 12:13 a.m.

People keep saying that BYU "wanted" this and BYU "wanted" that.

But, to my knowledge, BYU has not revealed what they want or what they "wanted".

I think this article is well written and even though I don't like the word "consistency" I believe that BYU, (having been lied to more than once) could never accept "any deal" that would give away their ESPN TV Rights, or any other Rights, without an iron clad contract that the other guy or guys would have to pay a very high price if they failed to keep their promises.

In other words, "no more handshake deals" and a contract that would guarantee adequate compensation if the Parties of the first part were to fail in any way to fulfill their promises to the party of the second part.

And I believe the negotiations failed because liars and cheats don't like to sign contracts that have no escape route if the liars and cheats fail to keep their "promises".

• Skippy West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 12:18 a.m.

re: Hoosier87 "That $100 million dollar broadcasting building at BYU would sure go to waste if they had to give up all their TV rights."

That is just plain nonsense to think that the broadcast building at BYU was built just for sports!

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 12:26 a.m.

One more thought...

DH's career and access to BYU athletics is not enhanced by writing things that are not consistent with the position of the BYU administration. I'm certain he knows that and walks the line very carefully.

I wonder if the BYU administration is on board with Dick calling out as liars some of the most powerful entities in sports broadcasting.

Seems a little irrational and well, irresponsible.

• Fubecao Bellevue, WA
    Nov. 26, 2011 12:31 a.m.

Maybe BYU didn't have a realistic chance to be a part of a conference AND retain its TV rights, but the negotiators made the decision that if they had to choose between those two good things, retaining its TV rights is more important. I agree. Independence is a better situation than membership in a re-jiggered Big East.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 12:37 a.m.

@dedmonds

"Well just so everyone knows texas has a similar deal to what BYU wanted so we cant say no other BCS school doesn't have one."
    ****************

Not correct. The Texas LHN is for third tier rights.

BYU wanted to retain it's agreement with ESPN for first tier rights, which is unprecedented.

Not the same deal.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 12:52 a.m.

BYU is unique---they have world-wide broadcast capability, they won't play on Sunday, and they have an honor code. They have won a National Championship, the Heisman Trophy, and numerous titles in more than one conference. Plus, they have a fairly large amount of fans everywhere they play.

Any conference would be wise to let their teams be show-cased around the world whenever they play in Provo.

Joining the Big East is like booking passage on the Titanic. We've already been there before with the MWC. (During the MWC Basketball Tournament in Vegas the Mtn was broadcasting an inner-squad boxing match of Air Force cadets. Now there's great TV programming!!)

Texas has the Longhorn Network and they spent many hours in Provo looking over the BYU operation. Why should an Owner of a netwwork be forced to give up their home game TV rights just because no other conference team invested in such facilities?

"Stay the course." The BCS may become a Championship #1 and #2 game only and further restrict access to the SEC and whoever else is favored any given year. Only a dozen teams have ever played for a BCS Championship.

• bamidan WEST RICHLAND, WA
    Nov. 26, 2011 1:23 a.m.

Actually, every time I've seen someone have cake, they eat it.

I love Independence and the WCC. I loved watching the Nevada game today.

Now for the important question - did someone get Jabari Parker a ticket to the game tomorrow?

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    Nov. 26, 2011 2:31 a.m.

Dick Harmon is now being paid by BYU directly. Independence will be a terrible deal for BYU long-term, once big programs stop coming in the November part of the schedule. BYU would rather suck up to its alumni all over the country than play actual competition.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 3:01 a.m.

Dick: Everything you said I'm sure is true, but the fact of the matter is, Tom Holmoe and the rest of BYU needs to do a better job with their PR.

Yes I know, they have to keep things hush, hush during negotiations when things aren't yet set in concrete. But now that the Big East deal is basically dead, I would sure like to each AD Holmoe go on TV or the radio and say something like, "We have tremendous respect for the Big East conference and we wish them nothing but success in the future." Then, give us some details of the talks.

Like some Cougar fans, I wasn't sure I liked the whole joining the Big East anyway. On top of that, I have a sneaking suspicion college football is going to undergo a major facelift over the next few years.

But the fact is, BYU right now looks like a spoiled brat and they need to do something about this quickly, if for any other reason then it might help them in the future.

@oh ye confederacy of dunces 10:37

As long as there are BYU hating trolls, BYU football will stay relevant.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 3:35 a.m.

Dear Teleste: You have absolutely NO idea what kind of talent BYU can attract and what future possibilities are.

The fact is, BYU has a different set of values than other schools. The value for BYU is giving the school standards and the Church the greatest amount of exposure possible.

BYUtv is literally available on a global basis. It is available to hundreds of millions of viewers in the U.S. alone. The school and the Church are NOT going to give up those kinds of opportunities just to get into a conference that will make a few fans and a few football professionals happy. The Big East promised BYU a deal that would make as much money. Money isn't the value for BYU. IT'S EXPOSURE on the widest possible basis. They shouldn't do ANYTHING that will jeopardize that position.

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    Nov. 26, 2011 5:46 a.m.

Dick, I find your article hilarious in so many ways, but first and foremost BYU still has a bunch of egos and the arrogance is running abundance within the program!!

Stay "INDEPENDENT" the yearly WAC play is stroking many fans egos while you literally kick a dying breed. You put BYU in the same class Utah and TCU, sorry but you were never invited to the Big East (TCU) and then to the Big 12 (TCU) and of course BYU will never see a PAC-12 (Utah) invite for the simple reason they just don't fit in the scheme of things.

Boise State on the other hand is focusing on catering to Football and have nothing to show in their other sports programs. Air Force will stay in the MWC as they too know they can't get it any better and they're even talking of taking all their other sports off the MWC program because they can't compete.

BYU needs to just stay "INDEPENDENT" period, no one wants you for numerous of reasons........Craig Thompson is laughing at you!!

• Pragmatic Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 6:36 a.m.

Yes, they are consistent. But are they consisent on something that nobody really cares about? Who wants to watch old football games? They are done..over with! We know who won or lost! It is inconsequential! Rather than watch old BYU football games shouldn't we be engaged in doing good works?

I have never understood why BYU replays their football games ad-nauseum.

• Max Charlotte, NC
    Nov. 26, 2011 6:36 a.m.

With Dick Harmon you always know that BYU is going to ride in on its white horse and save the day. They can do no wrong. I do agree that BYU has had a rough time and they aren't quite as difficult and unreasonable as they appear to be (though they most certainly are being difficult as HOWARD S points out. Yes, they made a mistake in the past but now they have gone too far the other way) Above all, I agree with BYU HOCKEY that we cannot forget that Cecil O Samuelson is in charge of the university. That, indeed, is the bottom line. Carry on Cecil.

• Jared Average, SE
    Nov. 26, 2011 6:56 a.m.

Why can't BYU have its cake and eat it too? That's exactly what they are doing right now. Maybe BYU's cake isn't as big as ones in the SEC or Big 12 or even the Pac 12 but at least BYU gets to make their own cake (probably carrot) and then eat it instead of relying on some conference who wants to serve them rum cake. BYU will try to do what's best for BYU - its students, faculty, and fans - and for the LDS Church. It's that simple. It's not a matter of hubris or greed, it's a matter of BYU having a different mission from other universities.

For now, I'll enjoy watching BYU games in whatever part of the country I am.

• ama Mililani, HI
    Nov. 26, 2011 7:15 a.m.

Always put Agreements in Writings. People and circumstances change along the way. What's in Black and White proves Legal and Official. Go BYU!!!

• Captain Sweatpants Hampstead, NC
    Nov. 26, 2011 7:18 a.m.

Yet another classic article from Dick Harmon. He, and some Cougar fans, love to play the "we were lied to," and "BYU-good, everyone else-bad" cards.

I know that when I demand something that NO ONE else has, I look in the mirror and consider whether I am being too demanding, feeling too entitled. Howard S. got it right when he said of BYU, "What is astounding is that they then wonder why they are considered difficult to deal with." But if you never consider that maybe you're being unreasonable, then clearly it looks like it's the other guy with the problem.

I would love to see BYU in one of the big 6 conferences, even if the BCS goes away like some believe it will. Playing quality opponents with a conference championship on the line is a key element of college athletics. While BYU is one of a few schools who can make independence work, the Cougars would be better served in a quality conference.

Bargaining "consistently," as Harmon calls it, comes off as saying "if I can't play quarterback, then I'm taking my ball and going home." Join the game, Cougars, it will be worth it!

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 7:21 a.m.

@Fuzz

I demand that you know your boundaries and understand that BYU owes you no explanation at all and you should learn to mind your own business.

@Howard S.

You need to understand that BYU has "Assets", which came about by achievement and developing a National Brand and Fanbase.

Utah on the other hand, must ride the Coat-tails of Superior programs within a Conference Dynamic, to survive.

It's a Socialistic approach.
    Utah's biggest concern is to preserve the Confernce Model, and hope that their Conference's Elite programs, Oregon, USC, UCLA, ASU, Washington, Cal, etc. never go Independent.

Otherwise, tag alongs like Utah, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Baylor, Wake Forrest, Rutgers etc.. will have to swim on their own. And they will surely drown.

BYU was being asked to relinquish Broadcast Rights for their Home Games. And were then asked to take a 75% cut in TV revenues.

Years ago, maybe BYU jumps at the Big East.
    However, that ship has now sailed and BYU is quite content with Independence, ESPN, BYU-TV and the WCC.

BYU asked for "Nothing" which they don't "Already Possess".

The Big East was "Demanding" that BYU "Give up "Already-Establised-Assets".

Who's the Demanding One now?

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 7:31 a.m.

fizz
    I love your demands. I'm sure byu will meet all your demands. I'd love to know the types of negotiations that you have been involved with....no pickles with my burger, I want real diet coke not caffeine free. I'll bet you feel like a real hero when you go into chuck arama and just demand everything you want for $11.99. Good luck pal. You might want to move your allegiance to Utah. In the meantime, you might want to sit down, take a deep breath, if needed, have a brown bag ready for use, in the event you hyperventilate and see what comes out of this.

• Oregon Ute Hermiston, OR
    Nov. 26, 2011 7:46 a.m.

Seems like Mr. Harmon has his sensitive shoes one today.

• bradleyc Layton, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 7:50 a.m.

Many have said that "no BCS conference teams have retained the rights to rebroadcast their games."
    Sounds to me like BCS schools have poor negotiators. There are teams that have huge followings who should be able to take advantage of their following status. BYU has a huge following, Notre Dame has a huge following, I would think that Texas, Oklahoma, USC, UCLA, Stanford along with many others all have huge followings. Why are they not asking for these same types of rights? The first reason is that they do not have the facilities to do the broadcasts. The second reason is that they are not bold or brave enough to fight the current system. They are all mired down by the mediocre teams in their leagues and allow those others from allowing them to reach their full marketing potential. These are also the same teams who carry their leagues year in and year out.
    BYU was bold, brave and had the solid facilities and support to break out of a League and begin to dictate it's own future. And..... a great future it will be.

• FaifeauSam Lehi, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 7:50 a.m.

Hear, hear to many of the comments, but I have two things to say: I am so sick of the Mountain channel where too much of the time is given to Colorado State University and their "wonderful" coaches and programs. I'm glad to be rid of them!

Athletics are ONLY GAMES and when people admit that academics (which BYU has) and spirituality are so much more important, then we will all be the better because of it. Athletics have drawn a lot of non-LDS students to the Y, where they have been spiritually fed and found a good way of life that they may never have known otherwise. Names could be named but then someone would be left out and that's not right; suffice it to say they are numerous! Hurrah for BYU and BYUtv which makes it possible for THE WORLD to see what they enjoy. If you don't like what's on the tube, change the channel.

I am a letter-earning former athlete from BYU and wear my heart on my sleeve when it comes to athletics, but I know it is ONLY a GAME!

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 7:51 a.m.

@ Bluto

"BYU asked for "Nothing" which they don't "Already Possess"."
    **********

The BYU position on retention of broadcast rights within the context of conference membership reminds me of a single young man who decides he wants the benefits of marriage but wants to retain the right to date as he chooses.

And then astonishingly the young man is surprised when he is considered unreasonable and difficult.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Nov. 26, 2011 7:55 a.m.

The fact of the matter is...despite the smugness of former conference partners who have now joined so called Super Conferences and supposedly are living a dream of being part of an Automatic Qualifying conference...the reality is that not even they have agreements in stone. If they even think they do... they are totally naive about the BCS Beast. Today we are in a world of raids on other conferences and seeing defections of programs scrambling for what is thought to be a Utopic concept of belonging to an elite and exclusive club... which is true... that is what is taking place. But it is an organization that will turn on you in a New York minute. When these so called four super conferences finally get organized they won't be talking about culling conferences such as the rumors of dropping the ACC...the Big East or The Big 12 they will be culling the bottom feeder programs that they selected and invited that can't cut the mustard and will replace them with teams that can. It may take a few years But BYU is by no means out in the Cold...Not with ESPN. AndUtah isn't necessarily safe either.

• CaliforniaCougar Lake Elsinore, CA
    Nov. 26, 2011 8:04 a.m.

BYU is staying course by looking at the big picture.

In a few years, the Super Conferences will include the Pac 16, the Big Ten, the SEC, and the ACC, which many assume will each have 16 teams.

The Big 12 and the Big East will be left out.

It is in BYU's best interest to stay independent until the Super Conferences accelerate their push.

The SEC and the ACC already have 14 teams, so they are on their way to the assumed 16 teams per Super Conference. The Pac 16 needs four more, Big Ten four more, ACC two more, and the SEC two more.

So, there are 12 more openings. which will go to mostly Big 12 schools, just a few Big East schools, and likely Notre Dame by then.

I believe BYU has a good shot at one of those 12 remaining spots. At that time, it may be in BYU's best interest to go easier on the TV deals. Until then, no thanks.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 8:06 a.m.

Sometimes the Church and therefore BYU tees me off but I am with them on this. If we are involved we will do it our way. Good for BYU.

• Invisible Hand Provo, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 8:30 a.m.

Everyone says it's not about the money with BYU. If that's true then why couldn't BYU just negotiate to buy the rebroadcast rights to their own games? Surely there could be some creative solution that could make all sides happy. Super conferences may be coming but if BYU is consistent then they will always be left out of these deals.

• flatlander Omaha, NE
    Nov. 26, 2011 8:34 a.m.

Of course it is all about the money, surprised it took Harmon all that writing to come down to they want the money themselves. Everybody does so no big deal BYU does. Texas did the same thing and that conference has lost members cause they don't want to play the Texas way. Replacing Texas A&M and Missouri with TCU and maybe West Virginia in a couple of yeas does not help the conference only the Texas TV rights. Give BYU credit for finally waking up and smelling the money. Better to go 9-3 every year and be the unofficial WAC champion with money in your pockets than without the money.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Nov. 26, 2011 8:40 a.m.

The Big East didn't want us because we want the ability to control much of our TV exposure?

Fine.

BYU has ALWAYS marched to the beat of a different drummer and we always will.

I say we stay independent, keep recruiting the very best LDS players and any other athletes with character and morals and (on the field) beat the tar out of everyone else.

It can be done. All it takes it committment, courage and teamwork. That will beat 'talent' every time.

• GilmerTexasCougar Gilmer, TX
    Nov. 26, 2011 8:53 a.m.

Dick Harmon's report makes much more sense than Gordon Monson's tripe. I want to be able to watch BYU sports--and certainly not on Sunday.

• Goldminer Salem, ut
    Nov. 26, 2011 9:14 a.m.

I don't know what really happened (and I don't think anyone here does either) but it does seem to revolve around at least two things: 1) money and, 2) TV visibility (namely, Church visibility around the world). Depending on how the first is approached #1 could be resolved, but NO TV firm is going to allow itself to become a vehicle for proselyting (#2). Somehow, we need to start thinking outside the "Mormon" box and when we do, THEN, our Church is going to LEAP forward. Read Gary C. Lawrence's book "How Americans View Mormons". It is a real eye-opener!!!

• borox23 Payson, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 9:15 a.m.

Yeah, we are all better off without being in the Big East or Big 12 which is opposite what we all felt and what the writers all wrote just a few days ago...Now that we can't get in we will just say we didn't want it anyways, we're better off without them and ignore that awful pit in the stomach feeling we get when we think about 8 pm games against the Big Sky or whoever else....Its all about "exposure" as we continue to become more irrelevant playing Idaho State on national TV that no one besides us is watching. I am a loyal Cougar but can't help but feel deflated and won't be heading to the stadium anytime soon

• Riddles in the Dark Olympus Cove, Utah
    Nov. 26, 2011 9:22 a.m.

Time to stop beating a dead horse and move on.

It's obvious that BYU wasn't interested in joining a conference that couldn't deliver at least the same level of exposure that BYU already enjoys.

BYU's schedule will improve in a couple of years. Not sure the same can be said of the Big East.

• nehu Kaysville, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 9:29 a.m.

So tired of the media hounds here in Utah/Provo trying to put a positive spin on quite possibly the worst thing to happen to BYU football in 30 years. All in the name of showing a game in Zimbabwe. The fact that BYU broadcasting has become central to the mission really undermines the "attending" fan base and gives preference to fans that are half way across the world.

This is pathetic that Utah and now even USU will actually be playing for more than the Cougars, that is not hyperbole, it is a simple fact. Unless BYU goes perfect their season becomes pointless after the first loss. Then on top of that BYU finishes with a WAC schedule.

Lame negotiating and a real blow to the fan base that actually goes to the stadium to watch the game.

• R.Burgandy Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 9:51 a.m.

Really Dick? BYU needed you to say something to counter G. Monson's article in the Trib? Please tell the whole story! Ready everyone? BYU's demand of home broadcast rights(ESPN deal) is a unrealistic demand that not 1 School within a AQ conference can have. Not USC, not LSU, not Texas, not Ohio St. Nobody! I can see the logic of not going to the Big East but the Big 12, I cannot understand. BYU needs to please quit tell us the it wants "to compete at the highest level"

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Nov. 26, 2011 9:56 a.m.

The have-nots (Big East, Big 12---not having enough "valid" teams to muster an SEC-quality 12-team league leaves them both lacking), are mad because BYU showed that they're no longer a have-not---BYU now has the national, weekly exposure for all of its sports and the full support of ESPN.

BYU would be dumb to join a have-not conference, neither of which's long-term futures are certain, while giving up what it HAS. It has all-sports national exposure the likes of which even the top teams in BCS conferences don't have (except maybe Notre Dame). Why give THAT up?

I seriously doubt scheduling for football will be so impossible that BYU can't get enough good teams to play to keep its SOS high enough, year to year, to be eligible for a BCS-type bowl game should its record be worthy. It'll happen. BYU can be in top-tier bowls, no doubt.

Independence is MUCH better than joining a BCS conference whose future is as uncertain as the two Bigs.

Difficult to work with? How about just being uncomprehending of BYU's ability to say No to having what THEY don't have!

• wolv1 AMERICAN FORK, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 9:58 a.m.

This is another long list of Harmon articles that try to sway support BYU's way. There is one fact here. Greed and lack of commitment to putting quality teams in LES every game for the paying fan that goes to the games. I am an ex BYU recruit of a sport because of money was dropped at BYU. That does not make me a BYU hater because I have coached numerous athletes that have played and are playing football at BYU. BYU sold themselves and their values away to ESPN and now they have to live with it. They will be on the outside and it serves them right. But Harmon will try to make it seem when they are left out, it will still be for the best. Only word to describe it like I said is all mighty greed. And that is disappointing for a group that preaches other values.

• Tami Herriman, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 10:10 a.m.

So, Comcast lied and then wouldn't return phone calls? Good to know as a consumer when deciding on a cable provider.

• just-commenting Logan, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 10:26 a.m.

If Harmon is not being paid directly by the BYU PR people, then at least all his columns appear to be written by them. I have a hard time getting very far into his cheerleading for BYU and am rarely able to finish a column without gagging. I presume that this one was prompted as a reply to Monson's excellent column in the Tribune, but Harmon's view does not come across as credible.

Honesty is dealing is demanded of others by BYU, but not reciprocated when others have trusted BYU athletics. There are numerous examples, but just for one: BYU demanded to transfer a football game scheduled to be played at USU to Provo. They flexed their muscles by stating that they would just cancel the game if USU would not agree. In exchange, they promised USU an extra basketball game in Logan. As soon as the football game had been played in Provo, they reneged on the basketball game in Logan. It was never played there, and a year later they finally agreed to play the game in Salt Lake City. Honoring a contract appears to be a one-way street for BYU.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Nov. 26, 2011 10:28 a.m.

The TV rights, the autonomy, and the money are the good things about staying independent. The bad thing is the team doesn't have much to play for once they lose a game. They become a "show" team with no purpose. I think this could affect recruiting in the future.

I would seriously like Pres Samuelson and/or Tom Holmoe to come out publicly with a statement to tell their side of the story. This "secrecy" does not sit well. And if they feel they don't owe the financially supporting fans any explanation, then at least for public damage control they need to make a statement.

• J.Newey Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 10:39 a.m.

BYU just may be way ahead of their time with this Independence thing especially if the BCS(ESPN has the BCS TV rights) decides to get rid of automatic bids for Conferences. What would be the benefits of conference membership for the bigger Schools if that happened? Why would USC and Texas for example want to be in a Conference? Why wouldn't USC and UCLA get together and go out and cut their own TV deal with that Huge LA TV market? Each School could potentially make 50 to 60 million per year for broadcast rights! Why would they want to share all their revenue with the rest of the Conference? Not every School could do this but it makes you think what may be down the road. I think Texas will go Indy within 5 years,(all Sports) thus BYU hestitation to the Big 12. They already have their network in place. Something to think about

• Oklahoma Cougar Mustang, OK
    Nov. 26, 2011 10:39 a.m.

I would trade in twenty plus of Mr. Harmon's speculative commentaries on BYU's future status for just one definitive statement from Mr. Holmoe or the BOT about where we stand and where we are going.

Nothing personal Dick. Just tired of all the endless speculation.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 10:47 a.m.

@idablu

Damage control?

Certainly you realize that Dick Harmon is BYUs damage control voice.

• kokua KAYSVILLE, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 10:53 a.m.

Calm down everyone, this is the fun part of negotiating, remember the first one to speak is the first one to loss, never let on to what cards you are holding.

BYU is in the drivers seat here why should BYU surrender up there ESPN deal ? ESPN in good faith gave BYU what they wanted that is to retain all TV rights and be able to broadcast home games that ESPN did not air as well as the right to re-broadcast all there games, sweet deal indeed.

BYU stay the course, keep what you have, add to it if you can and do not blink at in the negotiations.

Remember they called you, that places you squarely in control.

• Andermart Pullman, WA
    Nov. 26, 2011 10:59 a.m.

In just a few months of independence, BYU has received more exposure and been seen in more homes than it ever could have over the course of several seasons in any conference. Why give that up? I have loved being able to see so many games while living outside the confines of Utah Valley.

We need to stop being like all the failed civilizations from the past who say we have to be like everyone else. We don't have to be like everyone else. We have a face now. We have exposure. We need eyes on our programs. We finally have that. Now we build the brand.

Thank you for not caving to the calls for conformity. We are unique. I love that. Now let your light shine.

• hornetfan declo, id
    Nov. 26, 2011 11:01 a.m.

Why all the fuss?
    Aren't Christians but won't play on Sunday (may be the ONLY school who won't).
    Don't tell all before its time/settled.
    Has a different mission/purpose than JUST sports.
    Already has a TV Network.
    Plays a full schedule of games regardless of "how powerful" haters might think.
    Makes money and doesn't spend more than it takes in.
    Has problems with kids like any other organization that deals with young adults. However, that is on the choices of individuals and not a rush to change policy because the secular world says so.
    Has coaches who don't just jump and run away at the drop of the dollar.
    Hey I'm happy with independence and/or conference. As a fan I take the good with the bad; tough with the easy; wins with the losses; successes with the failures and still get up each day happy to be on this side of the grass.

• XelaDave Salem, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 11:23 a.m.

People keep thinking this is about football- it is not- it is about BYU-tv/ Church tv and that brand is what is being built-right now the best draw available is football and so that is being retained and is building that- this is a much bigger picture thing for BYU and the Church- football is just a vehicle to some ends- meanwhile we the fans keep thinking this is about football- no such chance

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 12:06 p.m.

To just-commentating up in Logan: BYU has done more for USU than anyone. Some years ago the Y agreed to play football in .Logan 2yrs in a row so USU could try to stay in D-1 because the attendance was so poor ( avg of less than 15K per game). We pay you a fortune to come to Provo to play football every other year and get paid little for going to Logan And given how we are treated there in basketball, why should we want to come to Logan again? It would be fine with me to just quit playing you in basketball; and not because we are afraid of you - see the record.

• Danite Boy SANDY, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 12:36 p.m.

Consistent position or not, the style negotiators used with both the Big 12 and Big East managed to tick off a lot of schools. That's not likely to make scheduling future games with those schools any easier when BYU is scrambling to fill its schedule. Nor does leaving a bad taste in other universities' administrators' mouths seem consistent with the overriding purpose of BYU athletics, to help the image of the LDS Church. Comparing the Big 12 or even Big East to the Mountainwest is comparing apples to oranges. Something that might have been okay to take a hard line on when dealing with an obscure conference like the Mountainwest isn't necessarily something that makes sense to push when negotiating with a major conference that has national exposure. I guess being on a late game on Espn U is a little better than being on Versus or The Mtn, but really, how many people are going to watch a late game against an Idaho or New Mexico State? We can't even fill the stadium against those teams. I'm afraid BYU is likely to be left on the outside looking in when the dust settles on the college football landscape.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Nov. 26, 2011 1:13 p.m.

It will be interesting to see what becomes of the BCS conferences if/when the BCS decides to just host the NC game or they actually go for an 8-team playoff consisting of the top 8 poll teams. In the first scenario, the bowls will be free to negotiate their deals with conferences. Rose will probably go back to the PAC12-Big10. Someone will want the SEC champion vs at large, Big12 vs at large, etc.

It is the "at large" clause that is intriguing. At top 8 BYU team would certainly qualify for an "at large".

OTOH, if the big bowls lock up conference champions as before, then BYU will have to settle for some other bowl.

Oh well. What's new? BYU keeps its share of whatever bowl plus the ESPN revenue throughout the year.

I see no advantage of a Big East tie-up in either of those scenarios.

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Nov. 26, 2011 1:18 p.m.

Where do you guys come up with some of the bile that spews from your fingers? BYU doesn't pay Harmon so hence he is not doing 'damage control'. He is very clearly on the DNews payroll so call it how it is not how your fantasy would have it be.

This was not speculation. It was fact. At least as far as any of you guys can prove! lol

• RSL1 Washington, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 1:21 p.m.

Boston college, Miami, Syracuse, Pitt, TCU, and West Virginia all leave the Big East for something better.

Uconn, Rutgers, and Loiusville are all actively looking for a way out.

Air Force isn't sure they want to join.

BYU declines to join because being Indy meets their goals better.

Somehow BYU is unreasonable because they won't join. Really? I mean really?

• 54-10 WHOOPTY DOO! bountiful, ut
    Nov. 26, 2011 2:05 p.m.

Irrelevant is losing to Colorado at home.
    Irrelevant is thinking you are everything because you are in the 4th best BCS conference.
    Irrelevant is being 4-5 in that conference with 4 losses coming at RES.
    Irrelevant is losing 2 in a row in the Bahamas.
    Irrelevant is being a Ute.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 2:12 p.m.

Why should byu get special benefits that other schools in the conference don't get?

• Ronald Uharriet SWun City, Ca.
    Nov. 26, 2011 2:31 p.m.

Dick Harmon,

Thanks for the great article. I think this is one of your best ever. I have been a fan of yours going back to the Provo Hearld days and since that time with the Desert News.

I dont know how any reporter could be more objective than you were in this story.

Thank you for good journalism.

Ron Uharriet.

• kokua KAYSVILLE, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 3:30 p.m.

tbass

It is called doing the deal, negotiating the best deal that you can garner. That is how BYU and anyone who can negotiate what they want get's the brass ring, obtains the sweet victory of negotiating skills. Kudos to the negotiation process.

Go BYU !

• AntelopeValleyUte Palmdale, CA
    Nov. 26, 2011 4:02 p.m.

I don't know who is lying or telling the truth anymore. Doesn't even matter if its a Christian based school, people are human and will lie to gain support. I want to say its been BYU all along with their outrageous demands, but it could very well be the conferences are being difficult. The only reason I don't care to support BYU in anything, is because when it comes to their football team, they think they are better than everyone else and Holier than Thou! You can see it and feel it. BYU acts like their stuff don't stink. IMO, no one is perfect, not even BYU!

• No Conference Will Take Us SEATTLE, WA
    Nov. 26, 2011 4:16 p.m.

54-10 WHOOPTY DOO! said:

"Irrelevant is losing to Colorado at home.
    Irrelevant is being 4-5 in that conference with 4 losses coming at RES.
    Irrelevant is losing 2 in a row in the Bahamas.
    Irrelevant is being a Ute."

That sounds more appealing than not belonging to a conference at all. Utah had something to play for each week.
    BYU tied itself to the AF Bowl. Not much to play for each week. Especially our extremely boring schedule of games.
    Sounds like die hard BYU fans need to get over it. The glory days are over. We don't belong to the WAC anymore. And scheduling their teams does not help our status. Fans need to be reminded what the schools mission is all about. No Sunday play means BYU is not interested in title chasing for any sport.

• Y Grad Pumping Gas Beaver, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 5:00 p.m.

I totally believe the general council has been directed.

• bribri86 Phoenix, AZ
    Nov. 26, 2011 5:16 p.m.

Someone other than a utah troll help me understand how a school who says "Hey, if you guys aren't going to broadcast up the game, let us broadcast it" is so unreasonable? I'm sure both schools involved would love the exposure.

• teleste Provo, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 5:42 p.m.

@ Cats

BYUTV, its exposure around the globe, and BYU's standars will NEVER bring the recruits that LSU gets to Provo.

IMO--it won't even sway the Rocky Mountain recruits that want to play serious college football...they'll either be picked up by the biggest/best schools... or they're all now gonna now head to Colorado and Utah to be in the PAC 12.

Full Disclosure:
    I'm a BYU alum, I know what BYU's like and what it's about, given the choice now, I'd pick Utah 10/10 times...especially if I were an athlete.

• Alex 1 Tucson, AZ
    Nov. 26, 2011 5:52 p.m.

I have been very uneasy about jumping into a gutted out Big East, and am glad we didn't do it. BYU requiring that it retain broadcast rights was another way of saying, "Look, if we are going to abandon the advantages we already have, you are going to have to offer more than we now possess."

Call it arrogance, holier-than-thou, whatever. I really don't care. If refusing to massage the Big East's ego passes for unreasonable or arrogant, then I take it as a complement. I'm not so star-struck and infatuated with the BCS that I am desperate just to be a "part of the club". I say that not because I think we are so much better than everyone else, I just don't think it is in BYU's best interest to join the Big East now.

I would rather we have the freedom to make our own decisions and live with the consequences--good or bad. Freedom is the key for me. I realize that we could lose, but I accept that possibility along with the possibility that we could be sidestepping a headache, with the BCS as it is in flux.

• River Master Lehi, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 7:01 p.m.

This is the beginning of the end for BYU football and Dick Harmon's supply of blue kool-aide which he loves to drink. BYU wanted something that nobody gets as if they think they are Notre Dame. Consistency has nothing to do with this. BYU wanted something unreasonable.

This was a stupid move. BYUs main fan base is the in U.S. of A and, despite what some people want to say, their fans would have been able to get the games just fine. The Big East, which is a BCS conference and has big media relationships, is not the same as a pidly, regional, non-BCS conference that was stupid enough to do their own TV network. These major broadcasters are even now doing replays and streaming online sometimes. Nobody cares about rebroadcasting when major networks already pick up games because people have DVRs.

I am tired of BYUs antics and until they are loyal to me as a fan I am going to stop following the program. There is nothing to play for and recruits now know that BYU isn't really serious about a final destination at the end of the year.

• River Master Lehi, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 7:11 p.m.

Some keep forgetting one very important fact...

'Exposure' is mostly about interest and intrigue. People aren't interested in late games with lousy teams or a BYU football program that is irrelevant due to bad choices and so access is not going to be that important. Just because Brady Bunch re-runs are available doesn't mean someone is going to watch them.

BYU should have joined a BCS conference for exposure and stopped worrying about BYUtv. There are plenty of other things that it can be used for besides one sport that has it's own unique needs. This was a bad move!

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Nov. 26, 2011 8:10 p.m.

Dear Fuzz,

Who the heck do you think you are to be making all these demands?

Are you this much trouble at home?

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    Nov. 26, 2011 8:21 p.m.

Brady Bunch? Making fun of that is like stomping on the BYU logo mid-field at LES. Kitty kat fans take Brady Bunch very seriously. :0

• Max Charlotte, NC
    Nov. 26, 2011 9:19 p.m.

Over the past few weeks, I have been quite critical of BYU and their negotiations to get into a major conference. Then, just a couple of hours ago it hit me and it hit me hard. Everything I have said has been based on one assumption -- an erroneous assumption. I have been assuming that it is important to BYU to compete at the highest level. Frankly, their actions over that past few months indicate that it is not important to them. And as a BYU graduate and active LDS, I am more than fine with this. I have argued for years that major college athletics should not be a high priority for BYU. They need to keep their religous focus intact. Everybody agrees that they are better off now than they were in the MWC and that they are better off in the WCC and independent with football than they would be in the WAC. They can get exposure (but at the cost of some relevance at the higher levels) and still schedule a few big name opponents and complete the season with a WAC schedule. They may even reach a BCS bowl every few years. I like it.

• Pac12Proud SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 9:19 p.m.

"To put it harshly, somebody lied.

Yes, the MWC and BYU's legal team should have nailed it down in black and white, but they didn't. They shook the hands of TV folks and trusted promises would be honored.

Those promises were never honored."

Dick, this is explained in five (5) simple words..."What Did the Contract Say?"

byu signed it, what did it say? Again you look to deflect the responsibility that is byu's to bare. They signed the contract. End of story.

• nomad1 American Fork, UT
    Nov. 26, 2011 11:20 p.m.

Indy is good for byu. Unfortunately their schedule will always be half of the wac. If exposure is all you care about it, then enjoy it weather it be good or bad. You can watch that exposure on the precious byutv where the only people watching are mormons.

• JapanCougar Apo, AP
    Nov. 26, 2011 11:50 p.m.

It seems to me that many of the commentators here have forgotten the reasons why BYU left the MWC.
    If the MWC were to retain their current teams, pick up the best teams from the Big East and CUSA, and offered BYU a spot, would you advocate taking it?

As others have mentioned, there are 3 reasons to be in a conference for BYU: 1. Scheduling 2. BCS access. 3. The opportunity to play for a conference championship at the end of the season--late season relevance.
    Aside from the conference championship, I'm not so sure the other two will be issues in a couple of years for BYU.

This can not be said of many other schools who rely heavily on the bargaining power of a conference for both money and TV exposure. Less than half of the schools in each conference could pull off their own TV deal at all, and almost none would make as much as they do in a conference.

I would have liked for BYU to join a conference, but certainly not regardless of the price.

MWC 2.0? No thanks!

• Seattleview Federal Way, WA
    Nov. 27, 2011 12:26 a.m.

IF BYU didnt join the Big East because the league wouldnt approve of BYU rebroadcasting any game played in the conference TV contract or allow BYU to broadcast any game that the conference TV contract didnt broadcast, then I agree with their position.

However, news paper reports said BYU wanted to keep all of their home football game tv rights. Basically, keep their ESPN contract. If that is the case, it is quite arrogant of BYU to think they should have what no other team in NCAA has.

It might hurt now but lets be patient and see how things look in another year or two.

• One of Vai's Cousins DC, Washington
    Nov. 27, 2011 5:05 a.m.

It has taken me the season to accept the reality of BYU football. BYU football (BYU everything really) is simply about furthering the mission of the LDS Church. That is okay. No fan who truly understands should expect anything less.

But for me it does mean adjusting my expectations to the reality of what BYU football really is about. I am not hoping for a BCS bowl game because it simply won't happen. I am looking forward to watching quality kids (likely 99.9% LDS) who play hard and represent the LDS Church with class. Some entertaining football would be nice sprinkled in there somewhere but in the end it is about exposure for the Church above all else.

Is church exposure something that motivates me to plan my vacations and extra income around BYU games and midlevel bowls? Probably not. But I suppose I will tune in a couple times a year when they play a quality team.

My excitement and enthusiasm for BYU football is probably a fraction of what it used to be. But at least my expectations are now in line with the reality of what BYU football is all about.

• VictorVonTrap Draper, UT
    Nov. 27, 2011 8:13 a.m.

Exposure: LSU, Standford, OSU, Alabama,USC...all of these universities have a common denominator: they have very good football programs. A university can have the best television production studio, HD truck, and access to multiple markets but without a quality product on the field people will not tune in.

Even the New York Yankees that have access to the largest local television viewing audience in the U.S., try to assemble quality teams year and year out. Living in NYC for many years I don't recall any articles on HD capability of a station, an HD truck, or production values. People don't watch or tune in to a station to hear a station / network tell everyone how great they are or what type of cameras its station uses.

Building a great football team starts at the top. Perhaps, if the Y focuses more on its football program and what works and what isn't working, next year may be a start of something better. However, if football isn't the Y's forte anymore, fielding the AV team may prove to be more entertaining and interesting for television viewers, especially since it is now in HD.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    Nov. 27, 2011 8:59 a.m.

@Fuzz

Geezzzzz, you sure demand a lot. What else do you demand? You remind me of a spoiled child throwing a temper tantrum when you don't get your way.

I live near Seattle and was not able to watch BYU sports of any kind until this year. I am loving it. BYU wants exposure and they are finally getting it. BYU TV has amazing resources and they are finally able to use those resources to good advantage.

True, BYU's scheduling is not the best they year, but football schedules are planed years in advance. They were lucky to get on anyone's schedule this year. Their scheduling in the out years is much better and will continue to improve.

I trust BYU's leadership. It will all work out for the best.

• dfoke05 Menifee, CA
    Nov. 27, 2011 9:09 a.m.

I was hoping they would join the Big East but have no problem with them giving up anything to join either.

To those of you so called BYU fans jumping ship. PLEASE JUMP!

• kokua KAYSVILLE, UT
    Nov. 27, 2011 10:27 a.m.

@ Alex Tucson

You are correct. I am continually impressed with how little people really understand about the negotiation process.

The conjuring up of images like secret combinations, slight of hand tricks like rabbit out of the hat by these conspiracy seekers is extremely comical and entertaining.

You must remain calm, collected and retain what beneficial options you currently hold and look for ways to add to it without loosing said benefits.

It is that simple. The BYU does not see value in surrendering up its ESPN contract for a weak and collapsing conference like the Big East. The BCS is on extremely shakey ground it has 2 years at best before it collapses as-well.

I say freedom allows BYU to move quickly and in its best interest. Also, to all those who have such weak constitutions about the quality of schedule in these early years of independents need to remember that one needs to crawl before they walk so yes the schedule will be lame at times in these early years, so what, grow up and know that, that is a reality of change.

Is the glass half empty or Half full ?

• midwestreader Brighton, MI
    Nov. 27, 2011 3:38 p.m.

When BYU starts playing real teams and winning on a consistent basis, then they will be taken seriously. Living in an area with real teams and Universities with real research and programs, it is rather hilarious to read these type of stories.

• Maddog1 BRIGHAM CITY, UT
    Nov. 27, 2011 8:47 p.m.

As a lifelong BYU fan I am glad that Utah got in a bowl game, they had a tough schedule week after week that playing in the PAC12 brings. Utah is not my concern and tearing them down does really not feel as good as it should because I work with some really great Utah fans. Like it or not we are ships headed in different directions and both should see success in the future.
    BYU will thrive as an independent because of BYUtv. Call it the Atlanta Braves affect where the exposure alone will generate fans. On top of that they will continue to get excellent recruits when parents will be able to see their kids play no matter the sport from women's BB, softball and all the men's sports.
    BYU is much more than just football, we have a top to bottom sports program that is superior to many many schools including Utah.

• Cali Coug Visalia, CA
    Nov. 27, 2011 8:52 p.m.

Stand Tall Cougars! I love being associated with a school that takes a stand for what we believe is correct. I like the indy route for football and the WCC & MPSF for all of our other sports.

I am real pleased we did not accept the invite from the Big East...the league kept leaking information to the press after they agreed to keep the negotiations private. Not the best way to start a business relationship.

• manaen Buena Park, CA
    Nov. 28, 2011 10:47 a.m.

Romney, yes; Checketts, no.

Romney resurrected the Olympics that had been marred by shady dealings.

Checketts was part of the team that was tricked the first time around and did not documentize the agreement. Why use a proven sucker the second time?