U.S. & World

Mitt Romney tells 'People' about Jesus, beer, his iPad music

Comments

• Sandpiper Air Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 22, 2011 9:25 a.m.

He must be a good man if he listens to the Eagles.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 22, 2011 9:49 a.m.

'Mitt Romney tells 'People' about Jesus, beer, his iPad music' - Title

Why can Mitt Romney talk about Jesus...

but not anyone else?

*'President Obama's purported 'weird'-Mormon strategy against Mitt Romney will backfire, pundits say' - By Hal Boyd, Deseret News - 08/10/11

To date, Obama has said ZERO about Mitt Romney's faith.

Others have though:

*'Rick Perry backer decries Mitt Romney, Mormons' - By Jamshid Ghazi Askar, Deseret News - 10/08/11

"(Robert) Jeffress described Romney's Mormon faith as a 'cult,' and said evangelicals had only one real option in the 2012 primaries. ... Asked by Politico if he believed Romney is a Christian, Jeffress answered: 'No.' "

Mitt Romney is NOT a man 'of the people.'

*'Let Detroit Go Bankrupt' - By Mitt Romney - NY Times - 11/18/08

*Mitt Romney: Corporations are people...my friend - By Phillip Elliot - AP - Published by DSNews 08/11/11

And, in my opinion, only in it for the money.

*Romney campaign battles Dems, Press over issue of transparency By Barrett Haake NBC News 11/17/11

There it was this morning, on the front page of the Boston Globe, a headline no campaign ever wants to read: Before leaving office, Romney staff wiped records.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 22, 2011 9:55 a.m.

Rather than Mitt Romney's jesus...

I would rather talk about Mitt Romney.

Mitt Romney on Job creation:
    From 2003-2007 job growth....0.9%.
    In rankings with the rest of the country...MA was 47th in Job creation when Mitt Romney was there.
    - Think Progress Travis Waldron 06/02/11

*'Let Detroit Go Bankrupt' - By Mitt Romney - NY Times - 11/18/08

'Mitt Romney as job creator clashes with Bain record of job cuts' - By Lisa Lerer, Bloomberg News - Published by DSNews - 07/20/11

'Employees who lost jobs at Bain-controlled companies more than a decade ago say they still hold Romney responsible.
    "I would not vote for him for anything," said Phyllis Detro, 68, who lost her job...'

*'Mitt Romney steers clear of Ohio health, union issues' - By Dan Sewell - AP - Published by DSNews - 10/25/11

*'Mitt Romney reverses himself, supports anti-union law' - By Philip Elliott - AP - Published by DSNews - 10/26/11

*Firm dissolves after giving pro-Romney PAC $1 million' - By Ken Thomas - AP - Published by DSNews - 08/04/11

• BYU Track Star Los Angeles, CA
    Nov. 22, 2011 10:14 a.m.

Mitt, I am shocked, SHOCKED I tell you.

Oh, the Humanity

or is this a ploy to appear as a "Man of the People" to Future Voters? Not some Goody-two-shoes? Why do I feel I'm being manipulated with this new bit of information?

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Nov. 22, 2011 10:17 a.m.

Mitt, thank you for sticking by your faith and defending it. That's more than we can say for some other candidates running this time.

Mitt is our only chance to defeat Obama and save our country. I hope everyone will jump on board now.

• runarg SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Nov. 22, 2011 10:24 a.m.

@Pagan

If youre so smart...why don't you just run for President?

• xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    Nov. 22, 2011 10:35 a.m.

Oh, Cats, you crack me up with the whole "save our country" propaganda. Our country will be just fine no matter who is in there, just as it has over the last, what, 250 years. We all seem to survive and recover no matter who we want in as president. By the way, it's not even the president that makes most of the decisions about this country, so you should be more worried about defeating dems in the house and senate.

As to anyone who is surprised about Mitt's drinking and smoking - and I'll bet he cursed up a storm also as a teen - if the vast majority of teens - Mormons also - deny they did those things, then they are only fooling themselves. Kind of like my brother, who had us hide beer in a Pepsi can so he could drink it without being caught (by the public), but his faith would tell him that God knew exactly what he was doing. He was fresh off a mission at that time, so about 21 years old. This is the problem I have with religion and politics and those who protend to take the high road of Christianity!

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 22, 2011 10:36 a.m.

'@Pagan
    If youre so smart...why don't you just run for President?' - runarg | 10:24 a.m. Nov. 22, 2011

Are you saying you would vote for me?

I head no idea that's what the article was about.

Can't defend Romney?

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 22, 2011 10:52 a.m.

'Mitt is our only chance to defeat Obama and save our country.' - Cats | 10:17 a.m. Nov. 22, 2011

I thought our country would be 'destroyed' if we ELECTED Obama?

Now we need to 'save' it, FROM Obama?

FYI, our country has been doing fine WITH Obama.

As exampled by:

*'Osama bin Laden Killed: 'Justice Is Done,' President Says' - By DEAN SCHABNER - ABC News - 05/01/2011
    'Osama bin Laden, hunted as the mastermind behind the worst terrorist attack on U.S. soil, has been killed, President Obama announced tonight.'

*'We have been waiting for this moment': Libya confirms Gadhafi is dead' - MSNBC - 10/20/2011

*'Obama announces total Iraq troop withdrawal' - By Ben Feller - AP - Published by DSNews - 10/21/2011

Will our country be the same under Republican leadership?

*'GOP contenders argue on Iran' - By Kasie Hunt - AP - Published by DSNews - 11/12/11
    "If we re-elect Barack Obama, Iran will have a nuclear weapon. And if you elect Mitt Romney, Iran will not have a nuclear weapon," vowed the former Massachusetts governor.'

I cannot say.

All I know is I will not support ANOTHER war based on 'WMDs.'

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Nov. 22, 2011 10:52 a.m.

Angry Birds ?

I'm shocked. Just shocked, I tell ya.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Nov. 22, 2011 11:00 a.m.

Admit it Pagan, you won't vote for any Republican, let alone one who is LDS.

Boring.

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    Nov. 22, 2011 11:14 a.m.

From the dept of labor: from Jan '09-Apr '10, private sector job growth was 67.5K monthly. After signing Obamacare, job growth plummeted to 6.4K monthly.

From the Economist:

LAST month Barack Obama, following his approval ratings, headed south. He took a three-day bus tour through Virginia and North Carolina, both of which he had won in 2008, reversing a decades-long erosion of Democratic support in the South. He met soldiers, students and teachers. Virginias Democratic politicians, however, stayed away. Tim Kaine, a former governor now running for the Senate, pleaded a full schedule elsewhere. Others were less kind. Phillip Puckett, a Democratic state senator, declared, I dont plan to support President Obama for re-election. Churlish, perhaps, but it worked: on Tuesday Mr Puckett won his own re-election battle.

• Ponch# OGDEN, UT
    Nov. 22, 2011 11:18 a.m.

I think that Mitt lacks some of the qualities that Repubs seem to like:
    -Ruggedness, getting your hands dirty.
    -Insensitivity to animals, by hunting regularly in some sort of way
    -Being able to throw a beer down while watching the game, like millions of Americans do
    -Wearing some blue jeans that has dirt from actual work

I know this is all stupid, but George W. Bush and Sarah Palin had these qualities and it didn't seem fake. It gave a sense of connectiveness and created better electability by relating to the rural common folk.

Me, being a white collar worker, Mitt still seems to much like a disconnected CEO to me.

• Pete in Texas Copperas Cove, TX
    Nov. 22, 2011 11:21 a.m.

xscribe? Your excuse for not liking the LDS church, and religion in general, is based on the lies that your brother is telling? So you're gonna judge every religion based on that, and in essence everyone who is religious? Wow... glad to finally meet someone so open-minded and willing to see things as they really are. For a minute I thought you might be one of those hateful, grudge-holding kind of folks. Glad to know you're above anything so trivial....

BTW... for everyone anxious to call people who believe in religion as "hypocrites", I'd only offer this one thought:

I'm happy to bear that label. At least I have a moral compass or code to try and live by. Sure, I fail from time to time, but I'd rather be labeled a hypocrite for trying to live a higher set of standards and failing occasionally than someone who has no standards or guidelines at all and therefore cannot live at all hypocritically.

Kind of like walking in a pasture full of horses and cows: I'll try and avoid stepping in anything stinky as much as possible. In the end, I stink less than the guy who doesnt care.

• Boston Spanish Fork, UT
    Nov. 22, 2011 11:24 a.m.

@Pagan
    "Our Country" is not doing fine! A candidate professing his belief in Jesus may give the USA a chance, but even that... This country is in a downward spiral while riding in a hand basket carried by a downright selfish gov't, democrats and republicans alike. Again, this country is not doing fine and if you are serious in saying the aforementioned, you are one blinded individual!

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    Nov. 22, 2011 11:25 a.m.

Should Mitt have a bit of a fit, the DN will have it writ. We git hit now with news that ol' Mitt even lit!
    Will the Mormons now have a snit?
    Stay tuned to hear Mitt's got a zit.

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    Nov. 22, 2011 11:36 a.m.

Democratic Pollsters: Obama Should Abandon Run for Second Term:

Patrick H. Caddell and Douglas E. Schoen argued that just as Harry Truman and Lyndon Johnson decided not to pursue additional runs though they could have, Obama should do the same. He should abandon his candidacy for re-election in favor of a clear alternative, one capable not only of saving the Democratic Party, but more important, of governing effectively."

From Politico:

Roughly a year out from the 2012 presidential election, that may be true. But already, as Obamas most recent forays into battleground states indicate, there are growing signs that many Democratic politicians dont want to get too close to him, either.

In trips to Michigan, North Carolina and Pennsylvania all states that he carried in 2008 members of Congress were notably missing from the presidents side. Though none came out and said they were deliberately avoiding him, they didnt have to: Dodging a presidential candidate whos riding low in the polls is a time-honored political practice.

• xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    Nov. 22, 2011 11:44 a.m.

Hey, Pete, how about reading my post again. I did not judge anyone but my brother. I have no problem with you practicing your religion, Mormon or otherwise. If you read my post without getting all defensive, you will see that what I have an issue with is those who have "sinned" and then take the, I'm better than you because of my (insert religion here.) Even you insinuate that because you are religion, you have a moral compass, but apparently those, like myself, do not have that same moral compass. You are flatout wrong about that. I do not believe in God, but if there is such a being, I have zero worries about what my fate might be. I can guarantee that I live a more moral life than a lot of my so-called religious acquaintances, and follow the teachings of Jesus more than my so-called religious acquaintances. And guess what, I even have a beer on the weekends!

And since you bring up hypocracy: One is a hypocrit if one intentionally does something against their supposed beliefs. Happens a lot! Mistakes are one thing; intention is another!

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    Nov. 22, 2011 11:46 a.m.

From US News & World Report:

Even Democrats Criticize Obama on Energy:

Instead of expanding access to new areas, the new plan restricts drilling access almost exclusively to the Gulf of Mexico. As a result, the announcement drew the ire of those who support domestic energy production; it even brought jeers from Virginia's Democratic Sens. Mark Warner and Jim Webb.

From the UK Telegraph:

Democrats doubt Barack Obama's reelection chances
    President Barack Obama is facing mounting doubts within his own party about his re-election prospects, with fellow Democrats beginning to ask if Hillary Clinton would have made a better president. Finding it hard to defend his often listless and repetitive performances, Democratic strategists and commentators are privately agreeing with Republicans and comparing Mr Obama to Jimmy Carter, another Democrat who remains the post-war benchmark for a failed president.

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    Nov. 22, 2011 11:54 a.m.

From the WSJ:

Wayward Senate Democrats Keep Distance From Obama:

Sen. Joe Manchin was among thousands of visitors at the Preston County Buckwheat Festival . . . The Democratic lawmaker barely mentioned President Barack Obama. "We're trying to keep him straight," he told the operator of a ribs stand. "Trying to help him." Bob Taylor, a Republican who supports Mr. Manchin, was blunt about the gulf seen here between the two Democrats: If the president campaigned with Mr. Manchin, he said, it "would be the kiss of death" for the senator's 2012 re-election bid. "The most important thing that Joe Manchin has done is not get on the Obama bandwagon."

From CNN:

For Democrats, second thoughts about Obama?

Perhaps no one is questioning the 2008 results more than Democratic politicians who must face the voters next year. Right now, it looks like President Obama, rather than offering coattails to those below him on the ticket, may instead be serving up an anchor. This is ironic, when you look back at what actually happened during the Democrats' 2008 primary, and at who made Obama the party's nominee.

• Brother Chuck Schroeder A Tropical Paradise USA, FL
    Nov. 22, 2011 11:59 a.m.

DNews and Utah's icon poster boy Mitt Romney talks about the central role of Jesus Christ in his faith, drinking and smoking once as a teenager, and what music he has on his iPad. QUICK, hand me a tissue, I'm about to cry, like Glenn Beck does before he sips on his diet coke on his GBTV "pay for view", because even FOX can't stand him either. WHAT do they put in that pizza anyway?. Cain claims his race will help win votes, as to Adolf Hitler claimed that his race will help win votes to?. Meanwhile we need to focus more on this. The United States has joined the rogues gallery of nations whose debt has exceeded its annual economic output, or gross domestic product (GDP). The U.S. national debt has broken $15.033 trillion, higher than the $15.032 trillion gross domestic product, meaning as of now, the country's debts are higher than its annual output, thanks to the GOP and all their friends. The country did enter the recession running structural deficits thanks in part to the Bush tax cuts, increased military spending and changes to Medicaid prescription policies.

Don't ever feel sorry for Romney.

• BYU Track Star Los Angeles, CA
    Nov. 22, 2011 12:13 p.m.

Great Article on Mitt in the Washington Post today, Recalling Romney's tenure as a Bishop and Stake President in the Boston Area. The Article is headlined
    "In Boston, Mitt Romney evolved in Mormon leadership, some churchwomen say". Its heartening to know Mitt's people skills grew as Bishop. I have a lot of respect for those men who serve as Bishops and work a full time job.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 22, 2011 12:22 p.m.

@Cats
    "Mitt, thank you for sticking by your faith and defending it.That's more than we can say for some other candidates running this time."

Huntsman has defended the church, he criticized the mormon-issue being brought up in the campaign more than Romney has. As far as sticking by his faith is concerned, you seem to be expecting a man who is perfectly fine with raising adopted daughters in the religion of their birth nation...to be a hardcore Mormon out to proselytize to the world. Sorry, that's not Huntsman.

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 22, 2011 12:28 p.m.

Please, let's talk about economic policy, foreign affairs, energy, equitable tax structures that promote growth, environment, education and other issues of substance. Who cares about your vacuous headline?

• Pete in Texas Copperas Cove, TX
    Nov. 22, 2011 1:08 p.m.

"I do not judge anyone else but my brother." Later in the post...." I can guarantee that I live a more moral life than a lot of my so-called religious acquaintances, and follow the teachings of Jesus more than my so-called religious acquaintances." -xscribe

Ummm..... ok?

Oh... and one more thing: just so you know, I'm not an intelligent man, but it seems impossible to me for you to be living with the same moral code as I do. As a believer of religion, I answer to Someone for my misdeeds because it is His laws I have broke. If you have misdeeds, who do you answer to? Because if your moral compass is based solely on whatever laws of the lands happen to apply in this day and age, then you answer to an individual or group that set them up. Thus, your moral compass is determined by popular vote or debating judicial figures. Mine was given by One who set them, lived them perfectly, and then expects me to do the same. Me making mistakes? Eternal consequences because the One who made them is Eternal. You? Shrugged off until they're accepted by popular vote.

Yeah, different.

• Kami Bountiful, Utah
    Nov. 22, 2011 1:35 p.m.

@ Pete In Texas, "But it seems impossible to me for you to be living with the same moral code as I do. As a believer of religion, I answer to Someone for my misdeeds because it is His laws I have broke. If you have misdeeds, who do you answer to?"

Quite the pedestal you have put yourself on if you belief you have the right to judge the morals of others.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Nov. 22, 2011 1:49 p.m.

Pete said: and one more thing: just so you know, I'm not an intelligent man, but it seems impossible to me for you to be living with the same moral code as I do. As a believer of religion, I answer to Someone for my misdeeds because it is His laws I have broke.

Why would that be impossible since you didn't write your "moral code," another man did and you follow him, much like everybody else in your religion, no matter the religion. You have no corner on morals since you needed someone else to tell you what they are.

And as far as answering to someone, who would that be?
    If you mean after you die, then you may or may not answer to anyone, but don't use that as Fact.

Pete said: Because if your moral compass is based solely on whatever laws of the lands happen to apply in this day and age, then you answer to an individual or group that set them up.

See your Religious history for changing "Eternal laws."
    ...and you obviously believe you are so much better than xscribe, because of your religious zealotry, good luck with that.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Nov. 22, 2011 1:59 p.m.

runarg:
    you don't have to be smart to run for president. look at who is sitting in the oval office

• Pete in Texas Copperas Cove, TX
    Nov. 22, 2011 2:08 p.m.

Kami? Did I pass off any judgement on anyone else? Did I say I was better because my moral code is different than xscribe who doesn't believe in religion? No. In fact, one might argue that because my moral code answers to One who has to pass judgement on me down the road, that my moral code is worse because it is more demanding than others. Fair enough. However, you can't say I set myself on a pedastal, because that would simply be false.

Was I wrong to say we had different moral codes? Maybe you could help enlighten me and show me how they're the same, because I don't see it. My moral code isn't open to private interpretation or popular vote. I don't get to debate my moral code with others and override Him who set it. No. My moral code was an absolute before I was even born. It can't be changed by votes or by petitions. Xscribe has a moral code set up outside of any religion. I was simply asking how it could be the same since his had to come from somewhere.

How did that come across as setting myself as better?

• Fred T PHOENIX, AZ
    Nov. 22, 2011 2:29 p.m.

Mitt should have reminded them of his profanity laced outburst over a late VIP bus during the Olympics at Snow Basin. A live mike caught it. The language would have made a sailor blush.... now this will help him with the young generation of voters... since they all swear all the time.

So he can say he's smoked, drank and cursed like a sailor... a real man of the people.

• Pete in Texas Copperas Cove, TX
    Nov. 22, 2011 2:29 p.m.

Last post... because they only allow me 4.

Happy Valley? You can factually prove there isn't One who I answer to after this life? Hmmmm... thought so. Just like Xscribe, I have to answer to the law of the land. However, because of my religion, I live by other moral laws that do or don't allow me to do anything I want that isn't expressly forbidden by the laws of the land. So, yeah... I've got a different moral code that I live by.

(Incidentally, even if you or I can't prove there is or isn't an afterlife, you still have to concede that our moral codes are different due to the fact that I am a religious man. To not do so would simply be arrogance.)

One last thought about you being so convinced I think I'm so much better than everyone else for having a different moral code: wrong. Even with my post comparing it to walking in a pasture, to me, stepping in cowpies stinks. It may not bother others. That doesn't make me think I'm better because it does. It is what it is. Don't put words in my mouth.

Thank you very little.....

• Kami Bountiful, Utah
    Nov. 22, 2011 2:30 p.m.

@ Pete in Texas, to me it came across as condescending. Kinda similar attitude some members of church have when they tell someone "I'll pray for you" when they are judging someone else. Its a holier than thou attitude that is part of the mormon culture, not part of the gospel. Perhaps I read you wrong though.

• Terence L. Day Pullman, WA
    Nov. 22, 2011 2:34 p.m.

What a hypocrite, talking about his faith in Jesus Christ while telling an outrageous, despicable, calculated lie in his first television advertisement. He should either repent with a quick and sincere public apology or turn in his temple recommend. How can I, as a dedicated Mormon possibly vote for such cynical, morally corrupt candidate?

• Sandpiper Air Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 22, 2011 2:49 p.m.

I love it when people of all religions tell me they will pray for me. I need all the help I can get.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 22, 2011 4:20 p.m.

@Pete in Texas
    "Mine was given by One who set them, lived them perfectly, and then expects me to do the same. "

Yours was given by people who you trust are relaying the information given by the One.

"You can factually prove there isn't One who I answer to after this life? Hmmmm... thought so."

Technically you can't prove there is either.

"Incidentally, even if you or I can't prove there is or isn't an afterlife, you still have to concede that our moral codes are different due to the fact that I am a religious man. To not do so would simply be arrogance."

Why would not doing so be arrogance? I can see how it would be wrong, since I'm sure the two of you differ on the rules you feel you need to abide by... but I"m not sure how it would be arrogant to say they are the same. (Yes I'm aware you can't respond.)

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    Nov. 22, 2011 4:51 p.m.

It's a fact Romney lost his temper at the olympics and cursed. Just tells me he is human. Everybody has done the same thing. It's a non issue. And how many teenagers have smoked a cigarette or drank a beer. A lot more than we care to admit.

• Straitpath PROVO, UT
    Nov. 22, 2011 4:59 p.m.

Go, Mitt!

• Independent Henderson, NV
    Nov. 22, 2011 5:00 p.m.

You people all need to relax.

• Canyontreker TAYLORSVILLE, UT
    Nov. 22, 2011 5:04 p.m.

So Mitt is more boring than we thought. I'm not going to hold that against him. But, I look forward to seeing SNL's spin on this.

• Open Mind Taylorsville, UT
    Nov. 22, 2011 6:20 p.m.

At least he's not trying to hide his past like most candidates do...including some in this very race. These days if a candidate hasn't molested girls, had an affair, been divorced, etc I'm happy.

• raybies Layton, UT
    Nov. 23, 2011 8:46 a.m.

This is the sort of article we should expect to see more of, now that the Primaries are more or less decided--and all the other potential republican candidates have failed to stick (despite every effort to challenge Mitt).

• Franjeado Lambare, Paraguay