Utah

About Utah: Lakers' Derek Fisher is poster child of spoiled NBA player

Comments

• ER in EUR Belgrade, Serbia
    Nov. 21, 2011 12:12 a.m.

Well put, and I agree: Fish left so he could play for the Lakers.

It was also one more instance of LHM showing who was the bigger and more grounded person.

• utahprincipal801 Sandy, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 1:42 a.m.

Amen, Lee. I felt the same way when I saw Derek Fisher "representing" the players.

• romorg PROVO, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 3:51 a.m.

I was not sad to see Fish go since I just couldn't bring myself to embrace the former Laker. That said, he should have fully understood that re-signing with the Lakers was off limits. I don't know what Larry knew but all we knew as fans is that Fisher was taking his daughter to NY for treatment. Retire or sign with an eastern team was all that we were hearing when he was released...then he did the dirty deed and enlisted with the enemy without the Jazz getting any compensation.

The Jazz had done enough to enhance the legacy of the Lakers via Magic Johnson.

As for the current issue it really makes no sense whatsoever that the players are willing to give up a season for a marginally better offer. Even if they got a better offer, which they wont, most of them will never make up the loss of a years contract. Just on the Jazz, AJ, Memo, Harris, and Bell will never get new contracts that pay them at their current level. They are just flushing money down the toilet if they don't play this year.

Fish, where is the logic?

• EJM Herriman, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 5:17 a.m.

Amen.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 21, 2011 6:27 a.m.

What a sad indictment of Derek Fisher. His attitude is why I hope the Owners win this fight and bring the players back to reality. Lee Benson is correct. It is in poor form to bite the hand that feeds you.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 7:15 a.m.

Fish is effectively near the end of his career. What about the young guys?

• Yeah but South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 7:50 a.m.

Do people honestly think going without $5.1MM will make a big difference to these guys this year? Do people think they spent it all last year or the year before? This isn't about money; it's about power. Who is in charge, the owners or the players. Sure, they may have to fly first class on a commercial plane and park their private jet for a while. But they won't have to make payments on those ginormous stadiums like the owners will. They won't have to pay as much income tax - only on their investment income. This is one storm the spoiled little rich kids will weather much better than their creators, and they will emerge with even more power over than they had before.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 7:54 a.m.

esq
    what about the young guys? what about them.

• mdp Bountiful, utah
    Nov. 21, 2011 8:11 a.m.

These overindulged children are killing the golden goose. It is about time they learn what they are really worth in this depressed job market.

• CB Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 8:20 a.m.

What about the young guys? They should have their own representative facing
    the Union and the Owners as well. Their careers ahead of them. Fisher's is nearly over. Seems to me that both should be represented.

• yarrlydarb Ogden, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 8:36 a.m.

Right on!

Perfectly stated.

I for one have witnessed my last NBA game.

• hymn to the silent Holladay, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 8:40 a.m.

The best doctors in the Country for the type of eye cancer Derek Fisher's daughter had are at Moran and Huntsman. Any cursory research by Fisher and Larry would have revealed that (I know, I did the research for one of my kids). Fisher's move to LA was a blatant manipulation of a kind-hearted Larry; an opportunistic, selfish move. And now he takes that same motive and uses it to personify the rest of the players. I'll never watch another NBA game the rest of my life.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 8:43 a.m.

I have no sympathy for men paid a half million dollars minimum, with most ten times that--- (or more!) to throw a ball around, and think that is insufficient compensation.

Anything more than what an Army Sergeant, or even General, in Afghanistan earns is an obscene excess.

And, I have no sympathy for owners who agreed to pay such lavish salaries.

Although I generally object the the "make the rich pay their fair share" rhetoric I would happily seize the paychecks of these spoiled brat players in a heartbeat.

And, if the entire NBA just collapses and there is never another professional basketball game played in this country, how would we be worse off?

• Cherrycoug Kearns, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 8:48 a.m.

Amen! I am 95% on the side of the owners in this dispute but every time Fisher opens his mouth I get closer and closer to 100%.

That said I will still support the Jazz because of Larry Miller and the Miller family. They have done a lot for Utah and I will stick with them through this as my way of saying thanks. The rest of the NBA wont get one second of my time or one penny of my money. GO JAZZ!!!

• The_Kaiser Holladay, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 8:58 a.m.

Greed is greed.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 9:18 a.m.

good article Lee, Fisher is a fraud.

• outdoorsguy SANDY, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 9:19 a.m.

This is an excellent article and analysis. Derek Fisher can and should feel guilty about how he manipulated this whole situation. For him to have the temerity to talk about selfish owners is truly galling. As much as I enjoy NBA B-ball, I am glad the owners are sticking to their guns. If they don't, the small market teams like Utah are going to become more marginalized.

• Bear Somewhere, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 9:24 a.m.

I say send the players to Europe to play for a year and 99% of them will come running back to any offer the owners make. When they have no more charter flights and 5 star hotels to stay in with a trainer for each player they will begin to appreciate what they had. When they have their first flight in a run down two prop plane and then ride a beat up old bus to a flea bag motel they will start to think what were we thinking. Then to top it off the team owner will stiff them on the pay! I think both sides are at fault in this mess but at least the owners realize that the teams can't keep this up or there won't be any teams.

• Silly Rabbit Small Town, USA, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 9:56 a.m.

Great words Lee, God Bless Larry H. he is missed

• newintown WOODS CROSS, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 10:01 a.m.

In defense of Derek Fischer:

He has great taste in clothes, but the defense stops there.

He defrauded Larry Miller, if not legally, certainly morally. At the time, however, ther were an awful lot of Jazz fans defending him. Funny how history teaches us to have 20/20 hindsight.

• penny 4 thoughts SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 10:07 a.m.

Who does more good for the world --an NBA basketball player or a teacher, a nurse, or a parent? Priorities are warped. These players have never deserved the millions of dollars that go into paying them, and it drives the price of tickets up so much that the average person (maybe a teacher, nurse, or a mother in need of a night out?)cannot afford to watch these spoiled brats play. On second thought,after this latest temper tantrum, is there anyone who really wants to watch them play? I cannot live without teachers, nurses and parents doing their best to raise grateful children. I definitely can live without the NBA.

• bleeding purple Santa Ana, CA
    Nov. 21, 2011 10:51 a.m.

They should fire them all and start over with all the guys who are just as good but didn't get "discovered." There are so many awesome players playing all over the world, wouldn't be hard to replace all of these greedy guys.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 10:53 a.m.

The NFL worked out their difference and made the 2011 season work. MLB had a great playoff run and world series. You can actually aford to go to an NFL game or MLB game .... but the NBA is another story. The cost of going to an NBA is beyond the reach of most but the players could care less. Most NBA teams lose money but the players could care less. As long as they get their money they could care less about anything else ... soon NBA players are going to find that fans could care less about them.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Nov. 21, 2011 11:00 a.m.

@DN - I hope I changed the word that offended your sensibilities...

To vilify Derek Fisher as a person is not fair. No wonder Utah is not a winery state - too many sour grapes.
    Derek did what he needed to do for his daughter - everyone in Utah supported him at the time. Not thrilled, but supported. When he signed with the Lakers for half what his contract was with the Jazz, everyone in Utah still supported him, after all, he has to feed his family. But since he won 2 more rings - a feat the Jazz have yet to do once - now all of a sudden his motives are called into question, and he is vilified.

To vilify Derek Fisher as a representative of the Players in general is completely fair, as the players over the last 25 years - interestingly coinciding with the rise of MJ, biggest money grubber around - have completely lost touch with reality.

• Anonymous Infinity American Fork, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 11:00 a.m.

This NBA impasse is a parallel to what is going on politically on a local, state and national level. The fight is against the power of unions, particularly in the government sector and their out of control level of pay, health care and retirement plans. They are all over the top. And to pay for them we get higher prices on consumer products and higher taxes to pay for government workers. It has all come to a head and needs to be scaled back. We can't afford it. NBA ticket prices are obscenely high, along with all the shoes and other apparel items associated with the league. It has affected all sports amateur and professional. I am sick of it. The players are so far from reality it's outrageous. The owners have aided and abetted all of this madness in escalting increases in prices and wages. Unfortunately all the associated businesses and NBA enterprises are also impacted. Sports and entertainment businesses have been given far too much attention and consumed too much of the treasure of individuals and some government entities who have participated in building some the taj majal arenas and stadiums around the country. This is sad time.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Nov. 21, 2011 11:04 a.m.

@patriot;.
    You obviously haven't tried Cowboys Stadium, if you think the average person can "afford" an NFL game - average ticket price is well over $150

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Nov. 21, 2011 11:24 a.m.

I don't quite understand why the union didn't allow their members to vote on the "best and final" offer from the owners. They should have at least had that option.

• rjpkp Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 11:29 a.m.

@J-TX

I don't know if you were living in Utah or Texas when Fisher left, but most Jazz fans were not at all supportive of what Fisher did. They smelled the rat from the beginning. He did not do what he "needed to do for his daughter" but quite the contrary. He did what he needed to do for himself. I have yet to see any evidence that the doctors in LA could treat his daughter better than the doctor's at Moran or Huntsman. I couldn't care less about his championship rings with the Lakers. That has nothing to do with the fact that, in my opinion, he weaseled out of his contract with Utah by using his daughter as a leverage. What a stand up guy.

• Poncho Williamsburg, VA
    Nov. 21, 2011 11:40 a.m.

I'm ready to shift to 100% college basketball. I could barely watch the regular season in the NBA as it was, however I was glued during the playoffs.

I can easily go with out it...this is definitely where I see the real 1%!

• swarming beehive SANTA CLARA, CA
    Nov. 21, 2011 11:51 a.m.

Sports nuts will still go to games and pay whatever is charged to see their heroes. Basketball fans with balance in their life will not pay current prices. Players, owners and fans alike would be better off (maybe not financially) if the "Occupy" folks protested these "negotiations".

• Ms Molli Bountiful, Utah
    Nov. 21, 2011 11:52 a.m.

How is his daughter?

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 11:56 a.m.

I'm looking forward to seeing all contracts voided because of certification. I think then you'll see more players begin to wonder who has all the leverage in this situation.

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 12:05 p.m.

Everybody should remember that Fisher never wanted to play for the Spazz, he only did it because he was under contract when he was traded. He was was a very smart person to ask Larry Miller to get out of his contract.

• Penguin Inc. Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 21, 2011 12:09 p.m.

How could you, Lee? Don't you know ole' Derek needs all the money he can get in order to care for his daughter? Have a heart.

• RSL1 Washington, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 12:22 p.m.

The players are striking for higher ticket prices, higher concession prices, fewer games, higher priced tv packages and they are surprised fans are not on their side? College basketball from now on.

• Southside SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 12:27 p.m.

You all would like him if he still was playing for Jazz! Come on already.

• tenx Santa Clara, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 1:18 p.m.

My $9 ticket of several years ago is now (or last time I checked back a few years ago) $67, so I haven't been to a game for ages. Now its high school ball, little league ball and tennis. I don't miss these over paid wimps at all. I did go see a Astro game 2 years ago (got free tickets priced $300 per seat including buffet lunch and close by parking). So if its free I will go, if not high school at $3 per and hot dog $1 is just fine.

• rocklaw Holladay, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 1:30 p.m.

Fisher is pathetic. Greed is apparently king. If he thinks anyone has sympathy for his cause then he is deaf and blind.

• Ahge DENVER, CO
    Nov. 21, 2011 1:31 p.m.

Fisher did not like living in Utah. Now do you get it.

• CiderMan OGDEN, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 1:41 p.m.

Consumers have as much to say as owners and players. Don't buy tickets to the games and don't watch them play on TV. Soon enough the point will be made. In the mean time take up watching HS and College games in my opinion are more entertaining anyway.

• David B. Cedar City, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 2:00 p.m.

Not just Fischer is a spoiled little brat but the league is filled with them. All are over paid and they all want more that they didn't earn! Once you sign a contract you better know what's in it.

• Peter Lemon Providence, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 2:31 p.m.

Players should make whatever their value is in the free market. It has nothing to do with what you think they should make or what you think is a fair price for a ticket. I personally wouldn't give a dime to watch an NBA game. Others are willing to pay a lot. The league isn't profitable so the owners and players have to figure it out. I just hope Obama doesn't decide that b-ball is too big to fail!

• libertarian Cedar City, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 3:30 p.m.

These "children" who still play "games" for a living need to grow up. I don't care how well you can throw it in from the 3-point line, 3 mil a year is just looney. I guess that's why I never gave a hoot about team "sports".

• Tami Herriman, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 3:38 p.m.

Personally, I think all 3 major sports are filled with overpaid, spoiled brats who are totally out of control. I do feel sorry for the new rookies like Fredette and Walker, who were looking forward to the start of a career just to have it derailed like this.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 4:19 p.m.

Fisher tried to ruin the NBA by Flopping.

Now he is ruining the league.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 4:23 p.m.

Fisher,

If the players get the deal they want, we will definitely see contraction in the league. Sacramento, Minnesota, Charlotte, Milwaukee, Toronto, Cleveland, and New Orleans may not survive.

Fisher you are an old backup point guard. If there is contraction in the league, you will be out of a job.

Fisher, are you stupid enough to negotiate yourself out of a job?

• buckbeaver Lake Forest, CA
    Nov. 21, 2011 4:30 p.m.

Just wondering "what is it that these players do that is so important anyway"?

• petersenjc47 Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 21, 2011 4:30 p.m.

I don't care much about Derek Fisher himself, although it is interesting to read Lee's take on his move to LA, hadn't thought of that. What I'm asking is: who is going to continue to pay outrageous prices so that people who play basketball can make millions while so many of us are struggling to pay the mortgage. Something is really out of whack here. I'd like to see $500,000 be the maximum any player can receive instead of a minimum.

• scalman Temecula, CA
    Nov. 21, 2011 4:56 p.m.

I like the tone of the article. I think Larry Miller would suffer through all of this, but he was one tough guy, and he would still be making the rounds, doing his thing in SLC. I disagree that Fisher left just to join the Lakers, or just to go to a city with more top specialists to help his daughter. I think both were true. I think when any of us make a big decision, their are usually at least two reasons for it. When I think of Derek I think of an overachieving guard who used to scratch John Stockton's face with fingers that "accidentally" made contact and step in front of smaller guards with his over-muscled body and then throw his arms up in disbelief when he was called for a blocking foul. He's got a little bit of thug in him, but then so do a lot of bballers.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 5:11 p.m.

From the looks of things Fisher was right to move these small minded ungrateful fans...

• eagle Provo, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 5:56 p.m.

and again what player has asked the taxpayers to pay his salary while plenty of owners have asked the taxpaying community to subsidize their arenas and football stadiums. So who are true capitalists?

• Jim987 West Jordan, Utah
    Nov. 21, 2011 6:05 p.m.

Wonderful article, thanks. I couldn't agree more!

NBA Cares- yeah right! You watch comercials about NBA players serving the community and helping the poor. But I guess it's just big show. Because when it comes down to it, they don't care. They are not willing to take a pay cut to allow basketball presume and help the economy.
    "Spoiled brats" Amen!
    I loved watching the Jazz, but how long can we put up with the way these players (the rest of the NBA) act and what they do.
    How much do medical Doctors make? (100k-250k year?)
    And the lowest an NBA player makes is (500K year) boo hoo, doctors do much more good for our community then people who put a ball in a ring do!

• Elk Hair Caddis Sandy, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 6:14 p.m.

I thought it was strange at the time that Fisher was flying back and forth between here and the eye specialist in New York when his daughter was being treated then he signs with LA. What's with that ? Hope his daughter is doing better. I think that would be LHM's main concern.

Personally I prefer the passion of a good college game.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Nov. 21, 2011 6:42 p.m.

Reports that Fischer was trying to cut a side deal for retirement to be taken care of by the NBA doesn't surprise me.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Nov. 21, 2011 7:16 p.m.

I think the owners will win this, 75% of ex NBA players file for bankruptcy so their spending habits are being forged now. Unless there is action in the legal courts, the players union will fold. I think it is for the best since the small market teams will be helped.

• knayrb01 sandy, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 7:33 p.m.

Well said Lee. I always thought LHM kindness was exploited. I'm getted use to the idea of No Basketball Anymore (NBA). I blame owners like Cuban that gives the salary cap the finger. I say hold the salary cap and if a team doesn't comply then they are forced to forfit the game(s).

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 7:38 p.m.

Think through the implications, ute alumni. It may be hard, but think.

• Old Timer the boonies, mexico
    Nov. 21, 2011 7:52 p.m.

This article without a doubt is one of the most truthful and best articles on this NBA fiasco put to print, and the description of Fisher is right on also! Interesting comments by all. In my opinion 4 groups are responsible for this mess.
    1. The players
    2. Their agents
    3. The owners
    4. The media

• mykemike35 WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 7:54 p.m.

Derek Fisher is a "clown"... I do not know why he is in favor of a lockout because this was going to be his last year in the league anyhow.he probally wants to make sure he is taking care of when he is retired....I never have liked him and was only relevant because he was surrounded with great players....I have no respect for him!!

• alternate Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 8:12 p.m.

Mr Fisher left his integrity behind when he left for LA and the Lakers.

• Normal Guy Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 8:30 p.m.

I remember when Fisher first returned to Utah to play and was shocked he was booed. LA writers said Mormons weren't being Christian. As if we didn't see thru his act when he signed with the Lakers, his favorite team. There were 30 other teams, including one in LA, he could have signed with and not been an SLC villain.

He should have recused himself from leading the players in these discussions since he's been the beneficiary of so much owner kindness, but instead he leads the charge to villify these businessmen that are asking for a 50/50 split with their employees.

• peter Alpine, UT
    Nov. 21, 2011 8:42 p.m.

Good comments, but I've always blamed myself and the fans who were willing to pay such exorbitant ticket prices for the spoiled nature of the NBA owners, coaches and players. My last season tickets were a ten game, $10/game package back when the Jazz played at the old Salt Palace. How times have changed.

• liahona Westbank, BC
    Nov. 21, 2011 9:02 p.m.

The sense of entitlement is astounding. Anyone who makes over $100,00 a year is full of their own self importance.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    Nov. 22, 2011 8:53 a.m.

Fisher has got beat in every move in the talks with the owners. The first meeting the owners brought an offer to the table, the players were prepared to negotiate.

The owners then brought to the table an agreement whereby there could not be anymore AK contracts that hold franchises back. They then brought up the change that needs to be made about not having super teams ie Miami put together by players.

The owners have addressed several issues also keeping the players looking like lost souls in the press.

The owners know that they need to pay very high dollars to to the players who attract the millions who follow the league. Watching millionares play is the attraction, otherwise watch NCAA ball and the league would die.

Now the owners have addressed most of their issues, have offended the players who needed to be and have offered to sp[lit the revenues with the players.

Whether it is true or not the players are now positioned as the party of no. The public is outraged they won't accept the deal that has been offered.

Players need new representation.

• Buzzards LEHI, UT
    Nov. 22, 2011 9:04 a.m.

While a few smart players have cushioned themselves against a prolonged stoppage, many are in scramble mode already financially. The owners, on the other hand, have been preparing for this lockout for two years. Who do you think will outlast the other.
    From what I have read, most players want to play, and are willing to even take a pay cut, but a few powerful agents are the puppetmasters dictating to the D. Fishers the hard line they have taken. Too bad.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 22, 2011 10:07 a.m.

Fighting over how big their slice is, all the while the pie is shrinking as all fans get turned off.

This couldn't happen at a worse time for the players because Wade, James, Bosh, Mello and D Won't made it painfully obvious to the whole country that only a few franchises have a chance to keep their players, and only a few have a legitimate chance at a title. (with the occasional double-lottery winners like San Antonio and Houston).

I care about MY TEAM. I could care less about watching another team's superstar.

The problem with super teams is this: If super teams are so interesting, why is viewership of all-star games so pathetic? Because watching the same few teams over and over and over and over and over (you get my point) again is just boring. The league needs 30 COMPETITIVE teams to prosper.

What the players also don't realize is the fewer teams, the fewer superstars. Miami also taught us that. One Alpha and some others -- no matter how talented the others are. Spread out the stars, increase the wealth.

• Rainman Syracuse, UT
    Nov. 22, 2011 11:50 a.m.

@ liahona

"Anyone who makes over $100,00 a year is full of their own self importance."

Really? You're going to stick with that? I'm afraid your view is very short sighted.

• jazzbball Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 22, 2011 12:27 p.m.

Best article I've read in a LONG time. Well done.

• JustTheTruthMan bountiful, ut
    Nov. 22, 2011 12:35 p.m.

Lee Benson, well written! Thank you! :)

• HugMe Logan, UT
    Nov. 22, 2011 5:28 p.m.

Great article.

However, it did not mention the role that agents (the power agents) are playing in this. Just speculation on my part, but the players are getting some bad advice on this lockout from someone and I think it is likely the agents. The less the players make, the less the agents make.

The entire thing is sickening. For me, sports provide an escape/break from reality. I love the competition, but non of these professional athletes are worth more than teachers, policemen, fire fighters, etc.

As far as Fisher goes, he did not want to be traded to the Jazz. I remember reading that at the time of the trade. Who knows the real motive for what Fisher decided to do, but Fisher. I know if it was me, I would do anything if it meant it might improve the chances of my daughter recovering. I say good for Miller for allowing Fisher to take care of his daughter how Fisher thought he needed to.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Nov. 23, 2011 1:21 p.m.

Derek Fisher is highly, hiiiiighly questionable in my book.

I've thought that ever since he left Salt Lake and signed with the Lakers.

His daughter getting eye cancer was not his fault, but the way he left the Jazz and immediately signed with the Lakers was.

Cheesy.

• bored Lindon, UT
    Nov. 23, 2011 1:45 p.m.

My hope is that the owners will stand fast. The players do need to learn a bit or reality, and it will never happen unless things change. There's only one problem - I believe there are some owners out there who think much like the players - they just have more money and can and will fight until they win.

For many, it's all about winning, and has nothing to do with what is right or wrong. Much of the world has moved in this direction, and these are the consequences of it. My fear is that greed will prevail - the owners will not want to go without the income for very long either (even though they could better afford it), then life will continue just the way it has been.

• SLCTransplant CAMBRIDGE, MA
    Nov. 25, 2011 9:26 p.m.

You have got to be kidding me. There's so much wrong with this article that I don't even know where to begin. For the sake of time, I'll point out only what I consider to be the most flagrant of the many misrepresentations in this article: that the NBA owners are giving and giving and giving, so much so that two-thirds of them lose money. While that might statistically be true, when was the last time that you heard about an NBA owner who was hurting for cash? Trust me, Larry Miller had plenty of $5,000 suits and $300 ties. Most NBA owners own the franchise for the attention it brings them, not the money. In fact, since they can write the losses off on their taxes, most owners employ VERY aggressive accounting policies to make sure that their teams operate in the red. It also gives them a good story to tell when labor negotiations come up. To act like these owners are just benevolent parents whose big hearts just won't let them say no to their spoiled children is beyond naive.