BYU basketball: After loss in Logan, Cougars want to get in sync at home

Comments

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Nov. 14, 2011 11:03 p.m.

"We need to push the ball." Zylstra

The correct quote should be, "I need to push the ball." The PG controls the tempo and pace of the game more than anyone else.

Zylstra looked very uncomfortable at the point. He is proving to be a better scorer than I thought he would be. I think he'll do well when Carlino comes in to run the offense and Zylstra moves to the "2".

I was disappointed in the USU game that we didn't get to see more of Harrison. He was very impressive in the exhibition game. Davies and Harrison are probably the only two players who have potential to continue at the next level.

I love being able to see the games on BYUtv.

• Realistic Goggles Alpine, UT
    Nov. 15, 2011 4:10 a.m.

We need to be realistic -- there are no current players on BYU's roster who have the potential to continue at the next level.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Nov. 15, 2011 6:29 a.m.

What is it that actually is going to be put in "sync"?
    Average to poor teams don't get better at home, they just do their best and hope to the North Star that something becomes of it.

• Hawk Littleton, CO
    Nov. 15, 2011 8:22 a.m.

Wow, Utah's undefeated and BYU has yet to win regular season game. I think we're seeing a power shift in the Beehive state....

Seriously, BYU will be fine. Rogers will find his shot and some consistency, Carlino will bring stability to the point, Harrison will show big improvement thru the pre-season, CColl will improve as his knee improves. Obviously it will be much more of a team concept this year, and they need to adjust to sharing the load, but by the beginning of January, they will be a very solid team.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    Nov. 15, 2011 8:31 a.m.

Jet Chang is a Jimmer-like player, which should make this a fun game to watch.

Knowledgeable fans aren't going to read too much into the Cougars struggling to get in sync in the Spectrum. BYU is rebuilding with nine freshman on the roster and many much more experienced BYU teams have struggled in Logan. Carlino won't be playing until mid-December and BYU is still working a lot of new players into the system.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    Nov. 15, 2011 8:35 a.m.

Dennis

Interesting that you get to decide that they are only average to poor, even before the season is two games old.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Nov. 15, 2011 12:17 p.m.

Winning team, losing team, winning team, losing team......I can still hear the chant!

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 15, 2011 12:41 p.m.

Maybe byu can ask Jimmie to be a redshirt senior?

• Broom Hockey Champ Alpine, UT
    Nov. 15, 2011 1:41 p.m.

Tough loss on the road to a perennial top-25 team, that has made noise in the tournament the last several years. The team is young and will round into form sooner rather than later. Look for an easy win in the home opener against our "brothers" from the islands.

I think we will give the Zags everything they bargain for and more this year. A slow start will turn into 25+ wins and another deep tourney run.

• MJB Tooele, UT
    Nov. 15, 2011 2:44 p.m.

I was watching the Gonzaga-Washington State game last night. One of the posts during the game was that of the 12 teams that have won at least 25 games the last 4 years, 3 of them are in the WCC. Gonzaga, St. Mary's and the newcomer BYU. Gonzaga looked very good last night and I think it will be tough to beat them this year. We probably split with them with both teams winning at home.

• BigRich Orem, UT
    Nov. 15, 2011 3:57 p.m.

Am I wrong, or do BYU guards need to score more and present more of a threat so things can open up underneath? USU seemed to have no concern of dropping off outside and clogging up the middle. I hope we don't live or die by the three point line. As for no one being NBA quality on the team, I would think that Davis has some potential there.