U.S. & World

An 'oops' from Perry, support for Cain at debate

Comments

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    Nov. 9, 2011 11:15 p.m.

The American people deserve better than someone being tried in the court of public opinion based on unfounded accusations," Cain said, drawing enthusiastic applause from the Republican crowd. "I value my character and my integrity more than anything else."

Sad state of affairs when the GOP cheer for the man who admitted to paying a complaintaint to go away. I was hoping that Bill Clintons ways were gone from the white house but Cain seems to think they are okay if they are paid for.

Seems to me we just found another politician who will lie his butt off.

Ron Paul came off very credible tonight. I wish Mitt would follow Pauls economic plan otherwise we will be no better off than we are right now.

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    Nov. 9, 2011 11:26 p.m.

All set to eliminate, if I can just remember that third thing I want to eliminate. I'm surprised Perry didn't shrink down to mouse size and scurry offstage. Wow.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Nov. 9, 2011 11:34 p.m.

President Obama is looking good. Keep it up folks.

• KM Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 9, 2011 11:36 p.m.

Obama said we have 53 states in the union. That didn't seem to eliminate him from becomming our president. I think Perry is plenty smart, but the DNC media is trying to choose for us who the candidate will be. They tend to label those whom they fear the most, like Palen.

• Eichendorff Olathe, Kansas
    Nov. 10, 2011 3:39 a.m.

Actually, Obama referred to 57 states.

• Max Charlotte, NC
    Nov. 10, 2011 6:14 a.m.

Hutterite: "President Obama is looking pretty good"?????????? Surely you were being sarcastic.

• Chachi Charlottesville, VA
    Nov. 10, 2011 6:14 a.m.

He had some one-liners, but this debate made it very clear that Herman Cain doesn't know how to talk about anything but his 9-9-9 plan. Anytime he got a question he had no clue about, he simply said, "Before we worry about that, we need to grow this economy, which is why I've proposed a bold plan: nine, nine, nine!"

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Nov. 10, 2011 7:36 a.m.

As far as Perrys oops moment, no big deal. Obamas 57 state comment followed by there is still two I have not been too. How about the one Navy Corpsman (Corpseman). How about The Middle East is obviously an issue that has plagued the region for centuries. How about On this Memorial Day, as our nation honors its unbroken line of fallen heroes -- and I see many of them in the audience here today -- our sense of patriotism is particularly strong. There is plenty more from Obama. So get off of Perry course look what we got when we got the King of Gaffes.

• Elcapitan Ivins, UT
    Nov. 10, 2011 7:53 a.m.

chachi...

Yes, I am afraid you are right...experience in government is a must to go to the highest office in the land. Going through the ranks is generally required for leadership in any organization.

Herman Cain will certainly fade from this point on, even though qualified as he is in the business world. Good luck Mr. Cain as you continue to serve mankind in other ways, and also as you defend your character from attack.

• williary Kearns, UT
    Nov. 10, 2011 8:00 a.m.

Can someone recap what exactly Mitt Romney stood for tonight? It changes so often it's very difficult to keep track of.

He was very pro-choice about 15 years ago, very pro-life today.

He supported the stimulus before it happened, now says he never supported it.

Was for the Auto Bailouts when they happened, when he was Michigan's native son, now was never for them to suffice the Tea Party.

Says he is not for lowering taxes on the wealthy, yet a huge part of his tax plan is to eliminate the Death/Estate Tax....that only applies to Estate's valued over $5,000,000. What exactly does he consider wealthy?

Helped shape the formation of "Obamacare" while Governor, yet will now repeal that legislation.

I'd bring up his stance on the debt ceiling debate, but like a true leader, he failed to make any comments during the debate, only criticized the outcome.

It's so sad this is the best Republicans can come up with. Mitt Romney is John Kerry II, except he might actual stand for less than Kerry did.

• FDRfan safety dictates, ID
    Nov. 10, 2011 8:05 a.m.

"The American people deserve better than someone being tried in the court of public opinion based on unfounded accusations," Cain said, drawing enthusiastic applause from the Republican crowd.

Court of public opinion versus world of legal technicalities where there is a difference between an agreement and a settlement? I would be too ashamed to represent the base that so enthusiastically flocks to Herman Cain.

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington, DC
    Nov. 10, 2011 8:30 a.m.

If anything, this just exposed Perry and his false promises of cutting government back because he didn't even know the names of those agencies he was going to abolish.

Perry is just as phony as Obama and Romney.

• Arm of Orion Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 10, 2011 8:37 a.m.

Really Williary you are taking issue on a stance that he had from 15 years ago? Oh my far be it for a man to decide to change his mind after 15 years! He must be pure evil to revise his stance as he ages! Also please substantiate your claims on auto bailouts when last I looked he said let them go bankrupt, unless of course you are referring to another 15 year old stance. For the health care issue is that not up to the state to decide how they will treat their people rather than for the nation to decide? Therein lies the big difference. Furthermore he did make his voice known during the debt debate he said we shouldn't raise the debt ceiling.

• oldschool Farmington, UT
    Nov. 10, 2011 8:42 a.m.

I think there are three candidates who could win the Republican nomination --
    Romney, Cain and uh, I can't remember the third one. Oops.

Perry could make an excellent vice president. He reminds me of Joe Biden.

• Roland Kayser Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 10, 2011 8:48 a.m.

What worries me about Perry is not that he had a brain cramp, that can happen to anyone. It's that he doesn't seem to know that 50% of the Energy Dept.'s budget goes to maintaining our nuclear weapons and nuclear reactors. Personally I don't think that's something we should stop doing.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    Nov. 10, 2011 8:54 a.m.

I have no problem with Perry drawing a blank. That happens to everybody at one time or another. It means he is human.

The bigger concern I have is the idea of wholesale elimination of any government agency. It seems like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

These agencies were put in place for good reasons. Yes, they may need to make some changes in response to the global economic situation, but just eliminating them altogether seems radical and reckless. Perhaps consolidating some of them could achieve some efficiencies, but which?

Executive Departments:

Department of Agriculture (USDA)
    Department of Commerce (DOC)
    Department of Defense (DOD)
    Department of Education (ED)
    Department of Energy (DOE)
    Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
    Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
    Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
    Department of Justice (DOJ)
    Department of Labor (DOL)
    Department of State (DOS)
    Department of the Interior (DOI)
    Department of the Treasury
    Department of Transportation (DOT)
    Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)

Do we really understand what each of these Departments actually do and why they exist?

• mhenshaw Leesburg, VA
    Nov. 10, 2011 9:01 a.m.

>>"Sad state of affairs when the GOP cheer for the man who admitted to paying a complainant to go away."

Actually, paying to settle such complaints is very common, even where no harassment was intended. It's not uncommon that some actions perceived as harassment by a victim were intended as innocent remarks or actions on the part of the accused; and it's usually cheaper to settle the case than to go to trial.

I'm not saying that's what happened here. Some of the complaints leveled against Cain are detailed and, if true, inexcusable. But it's also yet to be proven whether they are true and the fact that a settlement existed isn't by itself de facto proof that Cain is guilty of anything.

• Pawps Sandy, Utah
    Nov. 10, 2011 9:10 a.m.

Doug 10

So your saying in our country a person IS Guilty until proven ini inicent?

WOW! Remember what the Blondes attorney said " What Cain did FALLS under sexual harassment" keywords FALLS under!

Read the law, he could have told a joke that she over heard.

She did go on to file suites after that incident at a different job.

Yes Douggie 10 that is creditability at its finest.

• CaliforniaCougar Lake Elsinore, CA
    Nov. 10, 2011 9:21 a.m.

This is all good for Romney!

Perry imploded. Done.

Cain will eventually implode, but it is in Romney's favor for people to hang on to Cain. As each day goes by, that's one less day for people to regroup to back Gingrich, or Paul, or any of the third tier candidates.

• LetsDebate PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    Nov. 10, 2011 9:22 a.m.

@ Williary - you might try actually listening to Romney some time, instead of just regurgitating the same old tired, lame attack points you've been spoonfed by opponents and media whose biggest objective is to keep the pot stirred.

• Marrion Barry provo, Ut
    Nov. 10, 2011 10:03 a.m.

I like that virtually no one posting here can complete a sentence correctly. Welcome to Utah and the Republican party.

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    Nov. 10, 2011 10:12 a.m.

Wiliary: nice try.
    I hope Romney gets elected. He's clearly the best choice out there.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Nov. 10, 2011 10:14 a.m.

@DN - I fail to see how this violates your rules.

Huntsman actually said something intelligent, for once.

Perry was wise for refusing to comment on Cain's situation.

Perry is, seriously, dumber than W, if you can believe that. And that is coming from a Texan.

• wrz Salt Lake, UTah
    Nov. 10, 2011 10:29 a.m.

Perry shoulda said something like: "There are several federal agencies I would eliminate as President such as Department of Education,... etc." Leave it open ended. A shrewd politician will never fence himself in as Perry did.

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 10, 2011 10:47 a.m.

@Marrion Barry - your comment exposes much more about your bias and provincialism than it does about Utah Republicans. As one who takes pride in the proper use of English, I too cringe at the wholesale slaughter of our language that frequently occurs on these comment boards.

As I read back through the comments on this particular thread, I found the mistakes pretty innocuous, and your criticism to be extremely petty. Any time Brother Chuck Schroeder is absent, the bell curve on grammar improves significantly.

You should pull your head out of the DN and apply the same critical analysis to other similar venues. I highly doubt you'll find that the writing skills of Utah Republicans are inferior to the writing on comment boards for almost any newspaper or blog in our entire country. Welcome to abysmal language skills across the nation - not just among Utah Republicans.

Your implication that Utah Republicans have inferior writing skills in comparison to Utah Democrats - as evidenced by comments to DN articles - is so demonstrably false that I wonder if you even read the posts of our more liberal contributors.

Next time you post, please make an attempt at fairness.

• Miss Piggie Salt Lake, UTah
    Nov. 10, 2011 11:23 a.m.

I'd eliminated, or at least combine into other agencies, the following:

Department of Agriculture (USDA)
    Department of Education (ED)
    Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
    Department of Labor (DOL)
    Department of the Interior (DOI)
    Department of Transportation (DOT)
    Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)

But, for sure eliminate ED and DOL.

• FDRfan safety dictates, ID
    Nov. 10, 2011 12:28 p.m.

DSB | 10:47 a.m. Nov. 10, 2011
    Cedar Hills, UT

Well put. I thought he was talking about my comments but you may be using me in your rebuttal. I do not take any of this personally. I do, however, enjoy irritating Republicans when I can - but only about their Republicanism.

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 10, 2011 1:53 p.m.

@FDRfan - thank you. The poor grammar here was honestly so minor (compared to many comment threads), that I honestly didn't notice anyone as a particularly heinous abuser. And, I recognize that many people are just writing like they express themselves verbally, so I generally don't get too worked up about it. These comments aren't English assignments, although once in awhile a comment is so grammatically egregious as to warrant a bit of mockery.

Also, I humbly acknowledge your successful record of irritating me over my Republicanism.

• Mr. Bean Salt Lake, UTah
    Nov. 10, 2011 8:10 p.m.

Miss Piggie, I think the next president should do away with three federal departments, the Department of Education, the Department of... er... the Department of... uh... the, dang, I can't... oops.

That's what I think... I think.