Almost NBA basketball played in Utah with Jimmer and the Jazz

Comments

• cowboy99 South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 7, 2011 11:17 p.m.

Would have been nice to know how the game went rather than rant about the lockout. The whole point of this game was to relieve us of the pain. Why are you using it to heap it on?

• mightymite DRAPER, UT
    Nov. 8, 2011 12:00 a.m.

Almost NBA basketball? Not even close. These guys looked terrible --It was pretty bad, I mean almost like watching a third rate ward or rec league game.

• zabivka Orem, UT
    Nov. 8, 2011 12:02 a.m.

Who the heck is Eric Watson?

• Realistic Goggles Alpine, UT
    Nov. 8, 2011 5:50 a.m.

To call the exhibition "basketball" is like calling popcorn and soda pop "food." Yes, there was a very vague resemblance but not much. I would call it "jungle ball" or "rat ball." No discipline, no defense, no effort, no organization. Only showing off and goofing off.

Let's hope for the real thing soon.

• sports fan Provo, UT
    Nov. 8, 2011 6:29 a.m.

I like Ronnie Price more than Jimmer. but i am sure i am in the minority.

• CaliforniaCougar Lake Elsinore, CA
    Nov. 8, 2011 6:41 a.m.

How many points for The Jimmer?

• yarrlydarb Ogden, UT
    Nov. 8, 2011 6:51 a.m.

You've got to be one heckava NBA fan to take time to watch what doesn't even turn out to be a decent scrimmage.

Either that or a parent of five- to eight-year-olds who think they just witnessed an NBA game. (But even at that young age I'm sure they were not fooled.)

Still, hats off to Jimmer, who shows the gumption to organize at least a charitable event to occupy the time of gifted athletes who would really like to be reaping the well-deserved financial benefits of their outstanding skills.

David Stern and the owners will pay the price in the end, as it takes another five years win back some of the fans they've profited from over the last decade.

Poor Jimmer who, from the age of three or four has had the lifelong goal of playing for an NBA team, probably wishes that last March he'd only finished his junior year.

• bobby d Beaver, UT
    Nov. 8, 2011 7:24 a.m.

This must stop. In '75 when Ali and Frazier fought almost to the death in Manila, they each earned $2.5 mil. Now, Pacquia will make $20 million to fight. Basketball players like Magic Johnson would make $5 mil. and would now bring $25 mil. You can see where this is going. If a stop doesnt happen now, we are never going to stop it. Owners are owners for a reason. They, along with the fans, are the reason these players have jobs. For a team of 12 guys to have a salary cap is exactly what needs to happen. What this should show all players is that they need to quick thinking only of themselves and think about the fans. Us fans are beginning to say "enough is enough". I really dont care if I see any "pro" basketball this year. I am starting to become a big college fan. This selfishness has to stop. I have a feeling I am not the only one thinking this way. See ya Jazz!

• niners SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Nov. 8, 2011 7:42 a.m.

@bobby d

I feel the exact same way

• JFFR Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 8, 2011 7:53 a.m.

@mighty and Realistic- relax guys. Enjoy yourselves a little. I paide thirty bucks to watch the game and it was worth it. Heck, I'd pay thirty bucks just to watch Jeremy Evans get thrown alley-oops for an hour. We never really get to see NBA player act like this, it was a lot of fun.

@sports fan- I really like Jimmer, but I love Ronnie Price. He's one of the toughest guys in the NBA and has an explosive left handed dunk. I love that man!

• JP Chandler, AZ
    Nov. 8, 2011 8:05 a.m.

I watched the first half online, hoping to get a preview of Kanter and Burks and to watch a few other players. The announcers didn't seem to know who was on the floor and I couldn't really tell who was who. So, I clicked on this article hoping it would mention the actual performances of the players. No such luck. As far as I can tell from the article, the final score was Burks: 29 to Everyone Else: 0.

• yarrlydarb Ogden, UT
    Nov. 8, 2011 8:10 a.m.

@bobby d and @niners

Greed exists on the owners' side just as much as on the players' side.

What needs to happen is for the fans to stop sheepishly plunking down their money, like they had no other alternative for their entertainment.

That, and ONLY that, will end the problem.

• NO TAX Draper, UT
    Nov. 8, 2011 8:20 a.m.

"The whole point of this game was to relieve us of the pain." Stop kidding yourself, these big babies don't care a hoot about you or me. Cancel the whole season as far as I care right now

• redcliffs Ivins, Utah
    Nov. 8, 2011 8:35 a.m.

@yarrlydarb
    The way I would put it is that greed exists on the players side and stupidity on the owners side. I don't think it's greedy for owners to want to make a profit, and recently most NBA franchises have been losing money. You can't stay in business if you're not making money and that could mean the end of NBA in smaller markets. So I don't see the owners as greedy, but rather wanting to be able to compete fairly with larger markets. However, a lot of teams are losing money because owners agreed to huge contracts they couldn't afford and for that reason they have been stupid.

• oldasdirt Grantsville, UT
    Nov. 8, 2011 8:48 a.m.

Poor article not worth reading.

• Sloppyj30 Saint Louis, MO
    Nov. 8, 2011 9:04 a.m.

I kinda get the fist-shaking at pro athletes, but thinking past knee-jerk reactions should calm everyone down a bit. The idea that the owners are the reason the players have jobs is a little hinky at best. They're making a huge investment in their team, but their goal is to make a profit. Nothing wrong with that, but let's not make them out to be above reproach.

Players have physical skills that are ultra-rare, and as it turns out, lots of people will pay to watch them play. How much will they pay? Whatever the market bears. They're the ones with the rare skills, so why shouldn't they get at least a split of the revenue they generate? The individual salary is really irrelevant to the conversation. How much is Dwyane Wade worth? $100k per year? He is only playing a game, after all. But if his team brings in $80 zillion, he should get at least a few zillion. Someone is going to get that money.

So yes, players make more than you so they're "overpaid." If this bothers you, don't give them your money, but the petulance is a little overdone.

• Nevada fan Washoe Valley, NV
    Nov. 8, 2011 9:15 a.m.

Bobby D and @ niner: I totally agree. The players put no upfront money up, and other than injury they really don't take any risk. Heck they all more than likely got scholarships to go to school and once they gOt there they get the red carpet rolled out for them. Also every time I think of the "decision", the Heatles coming out on smoke filled stage and guaranteeing 7 championships Carmelo demanding a trade etc well lets just say they need to be put in there place. finally if some thing isn't done there will be 4 or 5 team league. I am totally for the Owners.

• JazzMan Centerville, UT
    Nov. 8, 2011 9:15 a.m.

The bottom line for me is that the NBA has to be more like the NFL where teams in Green Bay and Pittsburgh can not only compete but regularly win championships.

In Major League Baseball places like Pittsburgh, Kansas City and Milwaukee, you might as well not even watch professional baseball because your team is NEVER going to be consistently successful the way MLB is currently structured.

For the Jazz to ever compete and be able to keep good players there needs to be a restructuring similar to the NFL.

• Ms Molli Bountiful, Utah
    Nov. 8, 2011 9:22 a.m.

A 13 year old felt that almost $50 for a ticket was a small price to pay! You've got to be kidding me ...

• Utah Hs Sports Fan SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 8, 2011 9:40 a.m.

I totally agree with NO Tax. These guys couldnt care less about anyone other than their selves. I find it hard to feel sorry for billionares and millionares fighting over millions. They are bit greedy. Especially in the state of our economy is on right now. Where jobs are hard to come by. but yet fans still go out and spend money that they dont really have to watch their favorite players play. I think what we should all do is once they get this settled and actually start playing basketball again nobody show up to the arenas. Bc 20 to 30 games of nobody in the seats will show who really has all the power and its not the owners or the players. Its the fans! We are the one spending our hard earned money and paying them without us the NBA doesnt exsist and they would have to find a real just like everyone else. But we ever get a thank you? Be grateful after all they are all blessed to be in the positions they are in. I hope the entire season gets cancelled. I a college hoops fan anyway where is about basketball not money.

• Ms Molli Bountiful, Utah
    Nov. 8, 2011 9:48 a.m.

@ Utah Hs Sports Fan, I agree with you, but I think the "protest" should be extended to actors, musicians, all sporting events, etc. Americans have the power here -- if you don't buy the tickets or the product something will have to be done about the extremely overpaid people in this country who apparently think they deserve the millions they are being paid.

• Spitvalve Denton, TX
    Nov. 8, 2011 10:44 a.m.

Who won?

• JFFR Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 8, 2011 10:44 a.m.

@bobbyd in 1975 the DOW Jones was around 800 points. ESPN did not exist.

Your comparison does not work. We live in a completely different world and sports are way more important and profitable than they were back when Ali and Frazier fought.

In the late 90's the Jazz were worth about $100 million, in the late 200's the Jazz were worth $250 million.

A comparison of NBA players in the 90's to the players today does not work. The NBA is completely different.

All of a sudden sports have gone global. If Magic Johnson could have brought in all the fans around China and got the world to tune in weekly, than he would have been paid for it.

• Gifford VanBuren Holladay, UT
    Nov. 8, 2011 11:21 a.m.

Since Jimmer was there the place was packed...with European scouts!

• President Joker Washington, DC
    Nov. 8, 2011 11:45 a.m.

For goodness sake! It was a charity game. You some people are treating it like it's the NBA finals. How can you guys be so bitter? Holy Cow!

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington, DC
    Nov. 8, 2011 11:48 a.m.

College basketball is the most poorly played form of basketball in the world. There is nothing good about it at all. Even during the tournament. I would rather watch this scrimmage 100 times than college basketball any day.

• Morgan Duel Taylorsville, UT
    Nov. 8, 2011 1:28 p.m.

I made this same comment earlier and was told that the comment violated a rule. I will say this again, I agree with JP the online broadcast was the poorest presentation I have ever seen. The camera was situated behind the crowd and the players looked like ants. The announcers were doing their best to imitate the Jazz regular season announcer, as all they did was talk and did not describe what was occurring on the floor.

Overall a very poor product, probably much like my first message.

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 8, 2011 2:18 p.m.

Has Jimmy even played an NBA game yet?

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 8, 2011 8:37 p.m.

I realize that this was the mother of all exhibition games, but it's good to see Alec Burks go off for 29 points. I also heard from someone who went to the game that Favors looks much improved, hopefully there will be a season so we can see theses guys play for real!