3A football playoffs: Desert Hills reaches semifinals with win over Stansbury

Comments

• the Q? Tooele, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 9:27 p.m.

Congrats to Desert Hills! I was hoping the my Stallions would come out on top, but that didn't happen. Oh well maybe next year, our team is pretty young so I think they will be fine. Class act coaches down there, they could have scored more when the game was pretty much over but they didn't. Good luck to Desert Hills! I will definitely be cheering for them when Im not cheering for my Stallions.

• prdamricn St. George, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 10:07 p.m.

Congrats to DH on showing who you are. I might get tired of hearing your injury updates but you did step up and play like you can. It will be a great game to watch the rematch of Cedar and DHHS. Good luck to both teams next Friday at Rice.

• tigerfan HURRICANE, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 10:20 p.m.

Good job representing Region 9. I think next weeks game will be much closer than the last time you met Cedar.

• guv_garfunkel Highland, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 10:29 p.m.

I think Cedar is going to win it all. They are firing on all cylinders now. I think they'll handle DH easily and the final game will be great against Hurricane, that is if Hurricane can get pass Spanish Fork. I predicted SF would beat Juan Diego and while I can't say the same against Hurricane, they'll give 'em a good game.

• fender Washington, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 10:56 p.m.

The quarters left no doubt that Region Nine is loaded and easily the best in 3A. Six of the seven Region Nine teams would have been competitive in these playoffs, and it's a shame they weren't all there.

SoUtHapa is right that injuries make a difference, and DH will be more competitive this go round against Cedar. DH has seen Ursua once now and knows what he can do. He won't beat you with his arm, so you go cover zero and shut him down. If DH can't make it competitive this time, it's a coaching issue. Best of luck fellas.

• Thunder Supporter st george, ut
    Nov. 4, 2011 11:12 p.m.

GREAT GAME THUNDER!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ps fender, I don't think it's a coaching issue if the boys can't pull together and win as a team. Coaches do all they can, it's up to the boys to finish.

• guv_garfunkel Highland, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 11:46 p.m.

@fender & other region 9 fans

Try and remember to stay a little humble. I will say that of all the regions in 3A region 9 has the most good teams, but it took luck too for 3 of 4 to be region 9 teams in the Semi-finals.
    In my opinion, Cedar is easily the second best team in region 9. I'm not sure how they lost to Dixie, but in these last few games they showed what they can really do. You put either Dixie or DH in the quarters with Delta and I think Delta would have won.
    JD got a bad draw having to face SF in the quarters. They've showed they are the real deal and I think either SF or JD would have beat DH handidly and even Cedar had they played them in the quarters.
    Had DH played JD, SF, and maybe even Delta, they would have lost. Had Cedar played JD or SF I think Cedar would have lost.
    So great job this year region 9, overall you have the best region. My hats off to you, but don't act like all other regions should bow down and worship you. It's classless.

• nickt CEDAR CITY, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 12:00 a.m.

I lived in Cedar City for quite sometime and all though I never was able to watch URSUA play football this kid is legit!! I watched him play basketball and his agility and speed there was second to non. He comes from an amazing football family and is extremely competitive. He might not have the best arm but between his natural ability and Peacock's coaching cedar will be in the finals. Cedar is a bunch of hard working smash mouth stud's with a ton of heart. Good luck MEN I will be pulling for you from ND!!!

• kokua KAYSVILLE, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 12:32 a.m.

@guv

Shoulda, coulda, woulda is boring and simply argumentative wishing. Humility is in both winning and loosing, so your prideful jabs at region 9 fans has a hypocritical tone.

Behold the beam in your own eye.

• Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovo St. George, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 12:32 a.m.

I agree with fender, you could have taken probably six teams in region 9. Congrats to all of those teams...might as well have kept the finals in S. Utah. it was a fun season down here week in and week out. Each team has been tested, it will be interested to see how this plays out.

• kokua KAYSVILLE, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 12:42 a.m.

Ursua is for real no doubt. This kid is amazing to watch, at will he can take over a game.

The Redman do not hurt themselves they make very few mistakes and run there option offense with skill and precision.

The Thunder will have there hands full.

Go Thunder play tuff and battle through your injuries.

• troutman Washington, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 2:26 a.m.

Come on Hurricane Tigers....I am biased as my wife is an English teacher at Hurricane High. Hurricane has never won a State Championship in Football or Basketball soto those of you up North you won't believe what will be in store for Hurricane High if they win it all. It will be Townamonium to the max.

Just in case you think I'm a Southern Utah homer, I'm not, I grew up in Cache Valley and went to Sky View but the real Homer is the coach of Hurricane, Coach Homer!!!!!!

• SoUtHapa Saint George, Utah
    Nov. 5, 2011 7:08 a.m.

guv,
    I don't see anyone asking for anyone to bow down. Sounds like you really travel a lot as you are quite an expert on the ability of all these teams. Truth is, you probably haven't seen many, if any of these teams play nor know many, if any of the players on these teams. Highland, Utah?
    As a Region 9 fan since we moved to St. George in 2004, I have never seen anything but respect from the majority of folks down south for what goes on up north. However, in 3A, in that same time R9 has a definited edge on the head to head win/loss record vs. other regions.

• SoUtHapa Saint George, Utah
    Nov. 5, 2011 7:19 a.m.

Oh, and, good game boys! Michael Needham DID step up, however it still would be nice to see him whole for an entire game. He is a beast. Too bad he wasn't his full, healthy self while Harris was still in. Sure keeps the opposing D from teeing off on QB.

Nate Brinker and O line stepped up also. Huge! D was sick.

Stansbury boys played with a lot of heart.

#30...needs a medal. The kid has big time heart.

Many parents questioned the coaches kneeling early. Though it may have been nice to see Brinker get a few more snaps in a game situation, two things come into play here: Coach Nelson has always taught these boys that it's not about humiliation, just winning. The game was won. And, it only takes one play to get injured. With the game in the W column, why risk yet another man down or gimpy?

Good luck next week, boys!

• Mark D LAS VEGAS, NV
    Nov. 5, 2011 7:23 a.m.

@guv_garfunkel:

As a fan from Utah Valley, I'm sure you can appreciate the frustration that can arise from being overlooked, under-covered and generally under-appreciated the way the folks down in Region 9 feel they're usually treated...as opposed to the schools north of "point of the mountain."

To be proud of the fact that three of the four teams to hit RES this next week come from Region 9 isn't arrogant - it's just that - pride. UHSAA set up the brackets - ALL teams have simply played the opponents that they've been told to play. Period. To say someone is "lucky" or that another team would beat someone "handily" just isn't reality. Juan Diego may beat Spanish Fork 9 out of 10 times they play - but last night the Dons won the game that counted.

Desert Hills, Cedar and Hurricane won the games the UHSAA laid in front of them - just as Spanish Fork did. Lets not misjudge pride on the part of some down south for a "God complex" and throw out labels such as "classless." All that will do is come back to label you - not those whom you seek to label...

• cedarpost Washington, Utah
    Nov. 5, 2011 7:51 a.m.

Is the cedar - desert hills game going to be played in the south? please tell me yes

• tigerfan HURRICANE, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 8:01 a.m.

@guv_garfunkel
    I think you're missing the point. The flaw in our playoff system is there are some teams playing in the first and second rounds who should not be in the playoffs. the top six Reg 9 teams could beat over 1/2 the teams in the first round and each would do quite well in the second. I don't think anyone would change the system but it's something fun to talk about on here.

• amanap Washington, ut
    Nov. 5, 2011 8:17 a.m.

Bow Down all your inferior regions of 8, 10 and 11!!! 3 out of 4 R9 teams at RES!!! Domination!!!

• fender Washington, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 8:33 a.m.

@guv_garfunkel

I doubt many Region Nine fans who saw these teams play week in and week out would agree with your assessment. Cedar may be the second best team in the region, but it lost at home to Dixie and nearly lost a four touchdown lead in the fourth quarter against PV at home. Hurricane's kids executed consistently all season long and earned their number one, but even the Tigers were in a couple of very competitive games. Nine was flat out tough and none of the coaches felt secure week to week.

I just can't see a basis for your speculation that Delta would have beaten either Dixie or DH and frankly I would be willing to bet a fair chunk of change Delta would have a hard time beating SC or PV, neither of which made the playoffs. We'll see how it goes for SF next week, but i think the smart money is on a Region Nine final, which, if there were any justice, would be played at Dixie State or at least SUU, so that Southern Utah fans didn't have to endure RES again.

• UTOutlaw North Salt Lake, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 9:19 a.m.

amanap | 8:17 a.m. Nov. 5, 2011
    Washington, Ut

This isn't the first time that you have have more than one team in the semis... Come away with a championship and then it is domination. I see the semis being played as scheduled because RES has already been paid for but if/when there are two R9 teams in the finals, I can see it being moved to either Dixie or SUU as both teams are on the road finals week.

• hsportsfn St. George, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 9:29 a.m.

How do you decide where the more neutral field is at Dixie or SUU. Do you take away the experience of playing on the "big stage" at Rice for the kids because we as fans don't want to endure RES? How about those up north that enjoy watching the finals that won't get to see the 3A finals. Will KJZZ come to southern utah with a second unit to broadcast the game or will the kids not make it on tv because we didn't want to go up north? And of course will UHSAA miss out on the money generated up at RES with the game not being played there not to mention the upset sponsors. Just something to think about with the whole picture and not just geography. Good luck region 9.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 9:43 a.m.

Rice Eccles is the trophy, the semi's and the finals are the crown jewel, the place these kids have worked toward there entire high school carriers.

The Playoffs are for the boy's let them have there moment.

Yes it would be nice to be in the warmth of Dixie instead of RES, but this is the tradition to get to the turf.

Oh Cedar would be as cold as res, just sayin.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 9:56 a.m.

The UHSAA has changed final locales before because of situations just like this. It makes no sense for two teams to travel way up north for a game where a nice suitable location can be found within a reasonable distance, especially in this economy. Transporting kids hundreds of miles doesn't make sense. I also feel for safety purposes to have young people driving hundreds of miles to support their football team isn't safe either. I don't want to hear about a tragic accident of teens driving up north to watch the game. The construction in Utah County is simply horrible. I'm not sure Spanish Fork would want to go down south to play but the Desert Hill-Cedar game needs to be played in a southern locale to better increase safety for traveling fans and to save money.

• mightyd Fbtown, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 10:04 a.m.

@amanap

I'm sure you were joking with that dumb comment...right? Just stirring the pot to see what happens? If not, you really need to take a nap! We have nothing but respect for all our northern brothers and especially JD. Lots of mixed emotions on not having the opportunity to meet them in the semi's this year. But I hope we have the opportunity to meet again in the future. An all region 9 championship game would be great but obviously SF is playing well. Good luck to all teams.

• UTOutlaw North Salt Lake, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 10:18 a.m.

I can only remember a semi or final being moved once and that was in '99 when Cedar battled Dixie at SUU. This was before KJZZ began to broadcast games. Being interesting to see how the UHSAA will handle it.

• fender Washington, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 10:44 a.m.

hsportsfn,

Eagle has addressed your points pretty effectively, but some of them deserve special attention. Really, who cares that somebody up north might not be able to "enjoy" the 3A finals? Just maybe those folks you're talking about could put their butts in a car seat and travel south the way the rest of us have to travel north every year. If they did, they wouldn't have to sit for three hours watching the game in a freezing, dreary, mostly empty stadium. Obviously, television can broadcast from the south just like it can from the north, and both sites are as neutral as RES, unless you're conceding that SLC teams have home advantage at RES. If the final involves Cedar and Hurricane, the two teams could flip a coin, or in Cedar's case, the fans could simply decide to enjoy the warm weather in St. George.

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Nov. 5, 2011 12:21 p.m.

amanap- your comment is ridiculous! Region 8 is a 4A region, 3A regions are 9, 10, 11 and 12.

tigerfan- remember Cedar was only a 5 win team going into the playoffs too. I know what you are trying to say, but if you move to some kind of a ranking system, all you have is biased humans controlling the playoffs. R9 was tough this year, but every year sees a different region be tougher than others. Saying that all 6 teams in region 9 would do better than what we have already played is just speculation.

• Jo Momma CEDAR CITY, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 12:53 p.m.

@yankees
    You are right on the regions, but technically region 9 could smash region 8 in the mouth. That is not ridiculous, just fact. Logan is just playing in a weak 4A. Logan would be lucky to make the playoffs if they were in region 9.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 1:57 p.m.

Baseball games have been moved several times because of the location, when two teams from Utah County played in the finals they moved the game to UVU instead of the field up in Ogden and visa versa. Again, budgets are tied, taking two to three buses to transport players and cheerleaders cost thousands of money. I'm even okay with that but I'm not sure teens and even adults traveling hundreds of miles in what could be snowy conditions through the construction of Utah County is a smart idea. Both of the teams are 40 miles apart if that, they should play in Cedar or St. George in a college setting. Let the Fox people travel or simply use the St. George TV affiliate to broadcast the game courtesy of Fox 14. This stuff is done all the time. But let's use common sense and move this game to a closer and ultimately safer location.

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Nov. 5, 2011 2:13 p.m.

Jomomma- wow! I haven't seen Logan play, but they sure seem pretty dang good to me. They seem to score at will. But, it is irrelevant because they play in 4A and we're all just little 3A teams right? Like I said before, it's just speculation to say what COULD happen. Seems like Logan has won 3 state championships in the last ten years, the last "southern" team to win was Snow Canyon in '99. But hey, after the long drought, maybe R9 is due! 3 teams in the semis, you should be able to get that long overdue southern championship.

• Won't work Delta, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 4:18 p.m.

Delta would beat anyone in that region but Cedar and Hurricane. Ursua is a stud and Delta could not stop him. Don't whine and complain about having more seeds for that region. you guys down in st george complained and got your way with the new alighnment, so don't complain about about wanting more playoffs seeds. Spanish Fork and juan Diego would also beat any teams in that region with the exception of hurricane and Cedar also. We saw what Spanish did to juan diego after JD smoked Dixie. Dont forget Delta beat SF 35 14.

• sher khan La Verkin, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 5:25 p.m.

@Troutman. One correction ,not that it's too important but Hurricane won the State Championship twice in football in the late 40's and they took state in Basketball in 1981. The real reason I'm blogging is because I'm trying to find out if anyone can tell me if the 3a Semifinals are actually on kjazz this year? I know in the past, they've only shown 4a and 5a in the Semi's and all 3 classifications in the finals.

• sher khan La Verkin, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 5:32 p.m.

Now I need to correct myself and it's even less important than before but it was 1982 when Hurricane took state in basketball. Anyways, this is a football blog.

• Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovo St. George, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 5:35 p.m.

@ won't work
    You got worked by Cedar and would have by the entire region 9 teams..with the exception of Canyon View who beat Juab at home at the start of the season. I don't believe anyone is asking for more seeds, they are just stating facts.

• Dr Rush Saint George, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 6:09 p.m.

My fellow Reg 9 fans,quit patting ourselves on the back,we've won nothing yet.If Hurricane can beat SF then you can celebrate and agree with Fender,if that happens play in So Utah,why would you want to make everybody from So Utah drive 400 miles up and 400 miles back to freeze to death,gas,food,pay for hotel rooms etc, it's only common sense.

• amanap Washington, ut
    Nov. 5, 2011 7:07 p.m.

Delta's region used to be region 8, my mistake. And yes it was to stir the pot. I have to agree with Jomamma though, Logan would be fighting with that team by costco for 5th in region 9.

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Nov. 5, 2011 7:55 p.m.

amanap- wow, one good year and region 9 is now Utah's version of the SEC? c'mon! too funny! As pointed out earlier, it's been over 10 years since a southern region team won a title, so don't get too big headed about it yet. Kudos to a great year of football though, it's just too bad you guys can't just take it with some class.

• Prep Fan Cedar City, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 8:03 p.m.

I love reading this stuff. it is so dang funny. I do agree with the fact it is smarter to play in Southern utah. Although the Experience of RES would be cool. Dixie State has turf and that would be fine with this cedar Boy. Ursua on turn = annilation.

• Prep Fan Cedar City, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 8:24 p.m.

Turf not turn. I can't spell. I went to Cedar High.

• guv_garfunkel Highland, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 8:54 p.m.

@those who didn't like my comment

Don't tell me that Region 9 hasn't been arrogant about their region this year. Maybe I jumped the gun by going off on that one comment, but over the entire season all the region 9 talk has gotten a little annoying. I have been on these boards quite a bit and I've read many comments from region 9 fans saying how great their region is in an arrogant manner. You can be confident and proud without the arrogance.
    Regarding my speculations, isn't that what mainly goes on in these forums? Obviously those were just my opinions, but I have been hearing speculation all season about how if SC or Pineview were in an other region they would do so well and be in the playoffs. But those are just guesses, we'll never know.
    I am not trying to insult anybody and I've made it clear that region 9 is really good this year, but I just wanted to put things in a little perspective for those who like to throw the comments around they have all season long.

• Ligers Hurricane, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 10:45 p.m.

Logan would kick region 9's butt this year. SF is playing good so don't count on a region 9 championship game. Hurricane has it's weak points and SF will show where they are. And Delta would be right above Canyon View this year in region 9. It was a weak year for northern 3A teams.

• Jo Momma CEDAR CITY, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 10:59 p.m.

Yankee,
    Quit living in the past. We are talking about this year. We don't care about what happened 100 years ago. Cedar and Hurricane in the finals.

• HurricaneFan Hurricane, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 11:44 p.m.

Keep in mind that for the 2 or 3 people from region 9 who are so arrogant, there are thousands who are not. I think we had a really strong region this year. Nothing arrogant about that. I don't think anyone can speculate regarding who would win games that haven't and won't be played this season.
    Hurricane would give a lot of teams all they could handle this year but I think saying that Hurricane would spank Logan is ignorant.

• amanap Washington, ut
    Nov. 5, 2011 11:59 p.m.

@yankees27

Explain to me how R9 not winning a title in the last 10 years has anything to do with us being the strongest region this year with 3 out of 4 teams in the semis? Wait till we win something?... We're a combined 6-1 in the playoffs against other regions and now we have to play ourselves cause no one is left on one side of the bracket. Too funny...

• SoUtHapa Saint George, Utah
    Nov. 6, 2011 12:00 a.m.

Okay, just for fun, nothing personal, but, Prep Fan, I'm not sure what annilation is and I'm not sure I want to know. In fact, it doesn't sound like it should have cleared the sensor.
    I'm relatively confident you meant annihilation.
    Just sayin' ;D

• Jo Momma CEDAR CITY, UT
    Nov. 6, 2011 8:58 a.m.

I think Hurricane could be in the game with Dixie State this year or maybe even beat them. Cedar would be beat by a couple touchdowns.

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Nov. 6, 2011 2:28 p.m.

Jo momma-who's living in the past. My team has never even won a state football title. And I'm not looking back 100 years, I said it had been over 10 years since SC won their title and they were the last southern team to win. Cedar and Hurricane final would be great, and if it's moved to the south (which it should be) I'll drive down and watch it.

amanap-r9 is definitely the best 3A region this year, without a doubt. We all know it, were just sick of you guys constantly spewing it. As i've said before, every year there is one region that has a few more solid teams, that's just the nature of the beast. And it's not too funny, it's actually pretty awesome! I love that the brackets could work out so that the better teams are left in the semis. My point is, it has been awhile since you have won a title, don't get ahead of yourselves talking about "domination" until your region rolls off 3-4 straight titles. Good luck. By the way, since you are from the team by costco, we have a lot in common this year.

• SoUtah212 St George, UT
    Nov. 6, 2011 3:13 p.m.

Let me guess Jo mamma, you probably think Hurricane could beat Logan. Even better you probably think they could beat Lone Peak. It's one thing to look at the glass half full, but your optimism astounds me.

• Jo Momma CEDAR CITY, UT
    Nov. 6, 2011 4:37 p.m.

I think Cedar could beat Logan, and yes, Hurricane could beat up on Lone Peak. You sound like a disgruntled PV fan. Just go over to Hurricane and keep picking up their second string to start for PV.

• SoUtHapa Saint George, Utah
    Nov. 6, 2011 4:44 p.m.

UTOutlaw,

A semi game in 2004, between Pine View and Dixie was played at then Dixie College, now Dixie State.

There were benefits and detriments surrounding it. First of all, back then Hansen Stadium had bleachers on the visitors side, which it no longer does. Even with those there was barely enough room for all the fans from the area.

Benefit: It was nice not to have to travel to a colder, higher altitude to play/watch the game.

Detriment: The kids were a little disappointed not going to The Turf to play, even though they were playing on turf at Hansen Stadium. It wasn't The Turf. Also, due to remodeling going on at Pine View, Hansen Stadium had been their home field for most of the season, so, slight advantage to them. Slight. The biggest thing, though, is that when PV went up to face Bear River they were RES drunk. Bear River, the RES familiar returning 3A champs, had the better team anyway, but the largesse of the moment without having been there the week before didn't help.

So, mixed bag. Darned if you do, darned if don't.

• SoUtHapa Saint George, Utah
    Nov. 6, 2011 5:00 p.m.

Jo Momma,

Not a disgruntled anyone fan here, just realistic.

I love the talent and grit both Cedar and Hurricane have brought to the field year in and year out, this year not excluded. Ursua is a once in a lifetime talent and Hurricane is just plain loaded. But, you have obviously not seen either Logan or Lone Peak live this year.

In both cases, the Cedar and Hurricane would be out done in size, speed and talent. Just too many bodies to choose from with QB's that are beyond what you've seen, unless you've seen them. Ursua is a premier athlete but he's just one guy, and not even near the talent at QB that Nelson or Hansen are.

Bottom line is that these games will never take place, but if they did, the odds are against your optimistic forecast.

• hsfootballfan St George, UT
    Nov. 6, 2011 5:10 p.m.

On what planet does hurricane beat lone peak?

• tigerfan HURRICANE, UT
    Nov. 6, 2011 5:10 p.m.

@hssportsfan
    The North fans? what about the hundreds of fans down here that would be able to attend that would normally have to work that day. I think the players would get the same feelings at Dixie State and the games would be a lot more exciting being so much warmer.
    @JoMomma
    Cedar could win the Indy 500 in their bus if Ursua was driving. Da Redmen!! (Type in "SNL Da Bears" in You Tube if you don't understand this reference)
    @Region 9 haters
    In Region 9 - NS, Juab, Wasatch, Ogden, Grantsville and Park City would not make the playoffs and JM, Morgan, and Stansbury would be on the bubble. It's ok if you call me arrogant for saying it.

• Southern Fan st. george, ut
    Nov. 6, 2011 11:05 p.m.

The dhhs boys earned the right to go to the big stage of res. That's what their goal has been since 6th grade. Just ask them. Not only to be there, but to win there.

• SoUtHapa Saint George, Utah
    Nov. 6, 2011 11:20 p.m.

tigerfan,

Arrogance? Based on the evidence so far in the playoffs, I think the A word befitting your comments is more likely the following; Accurate!

Not that there aren't great, talented kids at all these programs, but R9 seems to have an abundance of balance across the board this year. Actually, most years, with the exception of Canyon View, the top six teams in R9 are pretty solid.

No disrespect intended. It just is the way it is. In 5A Region 1 has been very similar. A bunch of solid teams with one or two contending in the semis and/or finals year in and year out.

• juan val dez Kanab, UT
    Nov. 6, 2011 11:48 p.m.

Let the kids play in RES. Let them play there. So it will be cold, put coats on. Let the Kids who played on the teams this year Play on the BIG STAGE. And to the kids there is a difference from playing at SUU or Dixie compared to playing at RES. LET them play on the BIG STAGE.

• true observer Cedar, Utah
    Nov. 7, 2011 7:28 a.m.

Let me say John Ursua takes a back seat to no one in the state of Utah. Just look at ESPN recruiting for college football. He has been offered by Utah and Hawaii with schools like BYU and Utah State interested as well. He probably won't play QB in college as he is listed as an Athlete as a recruit. If you have never seen him play just come watch the next game and you will be convinced for yourself no one needs to sell him. Latest rumor is Oregon has been showing interest!

• SoUtHapa Saint George, Utah
    Nov. 7, 2011 9:03 a.m.

true observer is correct, at least from what I've seen. What I haven't seen yet, though, is a full game by Michael Needham. No one has.

Here is one of the best pure athletes I've ever seen in a 6'3", 195 pound frame as a senior in high school who, with the flip of a switch, could go to any school in this country and have a stellar career. But, you have to show up in high school first. He is at once as hard hitting and tough as they come then, click, just as fragile.

Hurt, injured or well? We'll see this Friday, but, either way, like Ursua, if Michael decides the switch is turned on, for an entire game, the fans are in for a treat. However, if he decides it's off, regardless who the QB is for DH, they will be potentially hung out to dry. DH has shown that they can come from behind and pull games out without him, but they are downright near invincible with him.

Time will only tell.

• SoUtHapa Saint George, Utah
    Nov. 7, 2011 10:29 a.m.

Flash update:

The game's officially at RES, Friday, 6:30pm.

• fender Washington, UT
    Nov. 7, 2011 11:38 a.m.

True Observor

Ursua is a fine high school football player, but let's keep it in perspective. As you say, he won't play QB at the college level, because of his size and lack of throwing mechanics. And, although he's high school fast, at cornerback or running back at the D1 level his speed will be an issue. He's a Mike Hague type. I agree with SoUtHapa that the DHHS kid physically is a much better fit at the D1 level.

As good as Ursua is, there are other in state seniors with much higher scouting grades and more offers. Even here in Region Nine there is at least one underclassman with a higher scouting profile than Ursua, and that's the PV kid who is on the boards of all the big school, ESPN All Utah and ESPNU top 150 watch list. Also think somebody ought to be looking at some of the Hurricane kids, who clearly have the physical tools to play at the next level. Region Nine has a bunch of talented kids, not just Ursua.

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Nov. 7, 2011 12:15 p.m.

@tigerfan- No hating here, I agree with you that most of those teams don't make the playoffs this year in region 9. It's like that every year where one region is a little heavy with talent and another is scarce, then a year or two down the road, it flip flops, that's what is so cool about high school football in my opinion. You have been one of the calm voices about the strength of region 9 this year, I think that others have been on the soap box and actually making the region look bad, and that's unfortunate, because from what I've seen and read, it's R9's year.

I think that if Hurricane and Cedar/DH play in the final, they should move the game to Dixie State, but that is common sense and I'm not sure that the UHSAA uses that anymore.

• true observer Cedar, Utah
    Nov. 7, 2011 2:36 p.m.

Just a little info that IMO shows the consistent strength of region 9 football. Over the past seven years straight a team from region 9 has played for either the 3A or 4A state championship (2004-2010). This year there will at least be one more maybe two! Now that all region 9 teams are 3A we hope that we can win one.

• tigerfan HURRICANE, UT
    Nov. 7, 2011 9:11 p.m.

@Fender As far as Hurricane D1 players go I will throw two at you and one might suprise you. Parker might get a chance at safety. He is the hardest hitting safety in the State. The other is Thompson, our wing. He has 11 td's this season and 700 yards rushing. He has at least four td's that have been called back that would put him close to 1000 yards for the season. He lifts the hardest on the team and took third in State in the 200 last year as a sophmore and I think he took fifth in the 100. I wouldn't be suprised to see him have a ton of all purpose yards next year as Hurricane will be passing more without Scott.

• SoUtHapa Saint George, Utah
    Nov. 7, 2011 9:46 p.m.

tigerfan,

Taylor Parker is a great young man from a wonderful family and an absolute terror at safety. He has been for two years now! I totally agree with you. If he were a selfish player he could be leading the state in rushing too.

Thompson is scary but is a little small still for D1. If he can put on some size I think you may be right.

Good observations and good luck to these great kids up north.

• fender Washington, UT
    Nov. 8, 2011 10:17 a.m.

Tigerfan

No surprise at all. I couldn't agree more. Hopefully those kids can put together a highlight DVD and get an invite to one or more of the D1 recruit camps and show the coaches what they can do. Oftentimes a head coach can use his connections to make that happen. With regard to Thompson, SoUtHapa is right that many D1 coaches are scared off by size, but not all. To pass on a talented skill player, especially one with speed, just because he's a bit undersized is idiotic. If THompson continues to work hard and perform on the field, somebody will give him a shot.

• John Paul Orem, UT
    Nov. 8, 2011 11:42 a.m.

@ tigerfan- the offence will not change much next year there is always a new fullback to fit in hurricanes o.

• tigerfan HURRICANE, UT
    Nov. 8, 2011 12:16 p.m.

@John Paul you might be right that wing T is hard for the opponents to figure out. Sometimes the refs don't even know where the ball is. When these juniors were freshman they passed a lot and they were very effective at it, so I wouldn't be suprised to see them open it up a little more next year. Either way you are correct about new fullbacks. Edwards and Takau are looking great.

• Jo Momma CEDAR CITY, UT
    Nov. 8, 2011 2:24 p.m.

I think that Yazzie would be a good fullback in short yard situations.

• Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovo St. George, UT
    Nov. 9, 2011 8:20 p.m.

A bit of trivia...actually the number one recruit in the entire state by position is the deep snapper from Pine View. He missed half the season with a broken leg but is ranked fourth in the entire nation and just missed the Under Armour All-America game. Region 9 has some serious talent at all positions, it has been fun watching this year.