BYU football: ESPN partnership has been a boon for school, fans

Comments

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Nov. 3, 2011 8:54 p.m.

Man, ESPN must have taken a blood-bath, airing all those irrelevant football games!

Serious, the only game I had to do anything at all was the OSU game. I had to call up DirecTV and convince them to give me the sportspak for three months for free. Kind of a shame, the only thing I watch on TV is BYU football. And NCIS.

I know they need to up the anti if they hope to keep getting that type of exposure. And as the schedule gets better, so too had the cougars better get better. But I am visualizing a whole lotta cougar football goin' on!

I will be interested to see, even as our loyal detractors emphasize the word "exposed", how all this impacts recruiting.

GO COUGS!!!

• Portland Trail Blazers Sandy, UT
    Nov. 3, 2011 8:56 p.m.

BYU needs to do what Notre Dame does. Build rivalries with teams they can expect to play every year. BYU should do it with schools such as, Boise State, Hawaii, Utah State, Air Force, TCU or Houston, UCLA, and Washington.

Now, bring on the UTE trolls! Haha

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Nov. 3, 2011 9:00 p.m.

So far the BYU-ESPN partnership has been very good for BYU. Now we are in November and the realities of this partnership are going to chill the fans to the bone. Please negotiate down so November games can be played in daylight and shown on BYUtv. Let ESPN show them on tape delay at 8 p.m. I'll bet the exposure BYU gets from the next two games will be vacant seats at LES.

• Provo4Life PROVO, UT
    Nov. 3, 2011 9:03 p.m.

So I get that the exposure is great. It's been huge that we've had so many games broadcasted on ESPN networks! First things first, we need to put a better product together for these huge audiences. Exposure is great, but when it shows a bad product it hurts more than helps. We also can't be left out in the cold looking in thinking what might have been. If the right opportunity presents itself we need to jump at a BCS conference. If we don't make it happen then the exposure won't help. I'm excited for the future. I love that I can watch all the games. I think we've made all the right moves for now, but our play needs must get better quick or we won't see the benefits.

Lastly, a word to Bronco. Quit sugar coating everything and take a good hard look at the program and make some decisions about key positions and coaches!

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Nov. 3, 2011 9:30 p.m.

I have been able to watch every single BYU game this year. Even the OSU game was easy to watch. I watched it for free on BYUtv over my Roku. Love, love, love being able to see my Cougars again.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Nov. 3, 2011 9:47 p.m.

4 byes in November? (2 byes and Idaho and New Mexico State, essentially 4 byes).

Houston and SMU get invited to a BCS conference, and BYU doesn't?
    Heads should roll.

Bronco and Holmoe should be fired. They are all talk.

• Please Fire Bronco Provo, UT
    Nov. 3, 2011 9:53 p.m.

Bronco thank you for your work. The program is better than when you started.
    Unfortunately you have reached your ceiling.

One of the best things Utah did for their program was have the guts to fire a coach who brought them a long way, but couldn't take them to the next step. Yes I am saying it. Bronco Mendenhall is the BYU version of Ron McBride.

Appreciate what Bronco has done, but it is time to move on. Get a coach who can coach at a higher level.

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    Nov. 3, 2011 10:04 p.m.

Living in a PAC-12 market, I've seen two Utah games on TV in real time (and one of those was the BYU game or it wouldn't have been on). Oregon State was tape delayed on Fox, but someone sent me a text about the win so I ended up not watching it. I watched San Clemente HS v. Mission Viejo to get a preview of Travis Wilson's play (not a good game for him or SCHS). Sad, but there's always next year...both in terms of exposure for Utah and improved performance for both Utah and BYU.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Nov. 3, 2011 10:08 p.m.

Those who think BYU needs to jump at any chance to get into a BCS conf. are crazy. Being in a BCS conf. isn't as great as some would like us to think. Winning is the key , not belonging to a BCS conf. Oklahoma St. , Arizona, Arizona St, Cal, Wash. St, and many others who pretty good teams rarely if ever get into a BCS bowl game. Again WINNING is the key. If we improve as a team and win we will get noticed, exposure, and the opportunity to play in a BCS game. BYU needs to take their time and examine all the little things and make sure it is a better situation before they agree to sign on with a BCS conf.. Just jumping at the chance to belong to a BCS conf. isn't smart or necessary.

• Noblepromise PROVO, UT
    Nov. 3, 2011 10:29 p.m.

BYU wants to play at the highest level, than please schedule football games with teams from BCS conference. Playing teams like Idaho and Idaho State doesn't help BYU chances of getting into a BCS bowl or being invited into a BCS conference.If BYU wants to be independent in football like Notre Dame we should schedule games like they do (BCS teams instead of teams not even in a BCS conference).

Donations, sports revenues from football events, and Cougar Club membership won't rise if we schedule non BCS teams. What was the reason for going independent in football if it wasn't to play the best teams and get invited to a BCS bowl?

• RealityCheckedCougr SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Nov. 3, 2011 10:31 p.m.

I am a big time Cougar fan, but it is time to lose the blue colored spectacles regarding independence. Most respectable teams will not be allowed to play against BYU in October and November due to conference scheduling requirements. Realignment will make scheduling more difficult not the opposite.

We would love to schedule BYU signed UC Davis, Sacramento State, Wofford, and Bo Didley Tech. Can we get on ESPN?

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Nov. 3, 2011 10:44 p.m.

By golly Noblepromise, you've got a point there. I'll bet no one at BYU thought of scheduling BCS teams. Give them a call and share your ideas and thoughts on the subject. They'd really appreciate your insights. I'll bet they never even thought about getting some BCS conference teams to come to Provo in November.

• anti BCS Anaheim, CA
    Nov. 3, 2011 10:47 p.m.

Please Fire Bronco = Utah troll

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Nov. 3, 2011 10:47 p.m.

Have you guys forgotten the reason BYU had to schedule all these WAC teams? They didn't have much of an option. The schedules will get MUCH better, trust me.

• Hatch Sandy, UT
    Nov. 3, 2011 10:49 p.m.

Finally an article about the future from Jeffy. Look forward to part 2.

• anti BCS Anaheim, CA
    Nov. 3, 2011 10:52 p.m.

Noblepromise

Obviously you're not much of a fan or you'd already know the reason for BYU's 2011 schedule.

• RealityCheckedCougr SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Nov. 3, 2011 11:21 p.m.

RE: @Riverton Cougar

You are missing the point. If conferences lock teams into playing opponents within their conferences in October and December all that will be left to play are the New Mexico States of College football and people like you will still pay to see that lousy product. Stop buying tix and enabling the dillusionment that people want to watch NM State, Idaho, and Idaho State.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Nov. 3, 2011 11:50 p.m.

You think Kyle Whitingham would like more exposer and give up the job at the U and come to the Y? Why not and have Bronco demoted just to be D's coach. Come on Kyle which you will be great fit at the Y!

• OC Fan Orange County, CA
    Nov. 4, 2011 12:02 a.m.

Reality-

Notre Dame, which admittedly is several decades ahead of the Y in scheduling experience, has only three non-BCS teams on its 2011 schedule: Navy, Air Force, and South Florida. All of its November games are against BCS teams. Obviously that's BYU's goal. BYU brings the same thing to the table to attract the kinds of teams that Notre Dame is playing in November that Notre Dame does: a national broadcast and a loyal fan base. BYU will get the likes of Wake Forest, Maryland, BC, and Stanford (Notre Dame's November 2011 schedule) in time if ESPN continues to help them get games like TCU at Cowboy Stadium and THE TEAM'S PLAY IMPROVES so more people than its loyal fan base want to watch them.

So the next order of business, to keep those fans eyeballs on the TV sets, is FIND A QUARTERBACK!

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Nov. 4, 2011 12:03 a.m.

• localblue Sandy, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 12:09 a.m.

It depends on wins and losses AND who you play. Playing cupcakes all year or losing the big games all year will not matter even if you have national distribution. Nobody will watch and pay attention. I'm a huge fan but still will not sit around and watch my team put on a poor performance. To those who say I'm not a real fan, I treat my kids the same way. They perform, they are rewarded. They don't, they aren't.
    And the best reward a team can have is viewership. I want to see BYU playing with the big boys and winning a few more than playing with the cupcakes and winning them all. That Idaho State game was as boring as they come. Don't overplay your hand in this conference realignment stuff is all I can say. It will come back to bite us.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 12:28 a.m.

For those who think playing the Idahos and New Mexico State, etc... how soon we forget we were pummeling SDSU, CSU and especially UNLV and New Mexico. Playing some of the teams this year hasn't been much different than playing these other programs in past years.

Keep in mind... this is a transition year. It's dang tough to schedule so fast and I suspect next year is going to be better and the year after and the year after. We should appreciate the Idahos etal for being willing to be chum for this year so we could catch others in the future.

Perspective is a wonderful thing.

• fan32 St. George, Utah
    Nov. 4, 2011 12:28 a.m.

I sure hope BYUtv can get the satellite providers to beam their signal down in HD. If you have dish network or direct tv, the only way you can watch the games in HD is through apple tv and stream the HD signal in that way. Anybody have any other suggestions? The BYUtv signal I get on my HD tv is horrible. Who do we call?

• North Summit 05 Coalville, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 12:49 a.m.

Although this will never happen I would really like to see Norm Chow back at BYU say what you want about the way the Utes offense has been this year but Chow is one heck of a OC I have been very disappointed with Doman's new offense this year. The exposure has been great this year and who would'nt want to be in a BCS conference as long as we do not comprise I'm all for it. The Big 12 or Big East would really benefit from having BYU in their conference but it should be for all sports imagine the basketball season. Way to go Bronco and Holmoe you guys have done an awesome job with the programs! Go Cougars

• BYU, Always #1 Saratoga Springs, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 1:19 a.m.

I'm sorry, if ya'll are serious and not trolls, which I am guessing most of you are just that,trolls. Yes, the Ending schedule is not good. yes >>some

• indycrimson Franklin, IN
    Nov. 4, 2011 1:51 a.m.

AntiBCS...
    Think about what you just typed...firebronconow=UGA troll?

I guess because I am pro Utes and dislike BYU athletics I qualify for trolldom, and I hope Bronco never leaves. Any good rivalry supporter wishes their competitor has pathetic coaching.

Do you thing USC wants Nieuhisel to leave UCLA?
    Do you think Michigan was sad to see Tresel leave Ohio State?
    Do you think Nole fans were happy Urban retired?

The only trolls who want Bronco fired are those he think he is building a strong program down south. If they think that they are indeed living under bridges awaiting goats to cross...

I am a troll and want Bronco signed to lifetime contract.

• indycrimson Franklin, IN
    Nov. 4, 2011 1:53 a.m.

AntiBCS...
    Think about what you just typed...firebronconow=Utah troll?

Do you thing USC wants Nieuhisel to leave UCLA?
    Do you think Michigan was sad to see Tresel leave Ohio State?
    Do you think Nole fans were happy Urban retired?

I am a troll and want Bronco signed to lifetime contract.

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    Nov. 4, 2011 5:05 a.m.

What would be the topping of the cake would be to persuade ESPN in taking Todd "ALL ABOUT BYU" Christensen as a play by play commentator. The fans at the Mountain can't stand him!!

• Cosmo Springville, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 5:56 a.m.

As a BYU fan now in Mississippi, I am loving BYU's being independent! We've been able to see every game so far this season, something I don't think would've happened had BYU still been on the Mtn.

• TheNun Granstville, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 5:59 a.m.

Come on, stop listening to the hype like Call spews in this article. As cougar fans, we need to look at the facts. Just because espn makes it easy for us to watch the games, and gain exposure, it doesn't mean the cougars have gained an ounce of relevence.

We've won against a cupcake schedule and lost all three games against teams who were, at the time, considered to be good tests for BYU. So, having everyone see us struggle against these type teams only reinforces what the detractors already think, we're not even considered in the national conversation of top 25 teams. With the kind of schedule we're likely to get as the so-called "super conferences" become larger, will only add fuel to that fire.

As more and more teams have to play more and more conference games, our schedule will only get worse. The reality of Novemeber, will come two or three weeks earlier if we're left out of BCS conferences and have to remain independent. Notre Dame has a twenty year head start on us, and the traditions they've built are also in jeopardy in the future.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 6:10 a.m.

It only makes sense if all BYU cares about is wider availability of its games for the BYU audience around the country, unless has a top tier schedule and a top tier team. On both counts, they do not right now. BYU is not Notre Dame and will not get the same attention. Even the ESPN deal is overplayed some. ESPN has several channels and putting BYU on one of them at odd times or on replay is not that big of a deal. ESPN does not even highlight BYU on its college football web page. The bottom line is that while this TV deal is better than what they have seen with the mtn and is better than most colleges, BYU would be better off getting into a BCS conference IF the program ever wants a chance to be part of the big boys. I guess it all depends on what the goals and objectives are for the school and its football program.

• The Dixie Kid Saint George, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 6:47 a.m.

Staying independent is great, unless we lose those recruits (especially in-state) to other schools. Because they want to play in the PAC-12 or other conferences.

• BleedRed Sandy, Utah
    Nov. 4, 2011 6:49 a.m.

Reality Check; hey everyone high on Independence, do the math.

BYU will receive 8M from ESPN [Who cares if its Friday Night games]

30M > 8M Do the Math.

When the super 16 leagues begin [and they eventually will] teams will be lucky to have one possibly two free slots to fit a rivalry or outside team. Holmoe will have an even harder time filling a schedule.

Im a Ute fan, but I have respect for the Y football program, it was once a well oiled winning machine beating respectable teams. Your headed in the wrong direction, fire Holmoe and get someone in there that has the talent and ability to correct Homoes Follies and refurbish the old machine of the past, and then start show casing your team like a classic that it should be. I hope you guys can plug into a good BCS conference.

Good Luck Cougs

• CordonBleu Park City, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 7:07 a.m.

JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt

Silly argument since the beer ads aren't in any way connected to BYU; only a BYU-hater looking for something to whine about would even think of associating them with BYU.

• Just the FAX Olympus Cove, Utah
    Nov. 4, 2011 7:15 a.m.

"PAC12 announced their TV deal, which will bring in over 30M for each team, starting next year. I would expect other leagues revenues will follow suite."

More Utah fan propaganda. The PAC 12 TV deal is back end loaded. Teams won't be getting anything even close to $30 million next season, and the U will only be getting half of that.

Of course, Utah has quickly bought into the BCS mentality that the only thing that matters is money, so enjoy being a paid punching bag for a big boy conference.

• BleedRed Sandy, Utah
    Nov. 4, 2011 8:04 a.m.

@Just the Fax

Geeeez, try to be nice to the Cougs and they smite you. Okay FAXman, lets say Im wrong [which Im not] your comment about half that amount of 30M would be 15M. 15M > 8M

Your headed down a slippery slide if you can't accept the future of football and correct the wrong path Holmoe's leading you down.

The Y needs to continue their greatness and not let it die, thinking they are working towards a noble cause. In history the Band of Brothers was an army that did band together as the saying " Band of Brothers" was given to them for inspiration before their battle, and those that did band together ended their fight at that war, and didn't live on to fight another fight! But their General was right they live in infamy, and thats it.

Live to fight another day. Then you will continue on instead of being a historical memory.

Band of Lil Brothers < Still trying to be nice to you guys, but whoever tagged you with that one is a genius, Im beginning to believe it fits you well from your comments

• yarrlydarb Ogden, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 8:20 a.m.

@JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt

Nonsense.

You think everyone who sees a beer commercial televised pays attention to it?

Most are getting snacks or visiting the little boys' room.

• Weber State Graduate Clearfield, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 8:26 a.m.

"If BYU can get the Notre Dame rule, and get BCS access, and stay an independent, then BYU is golden."

BYU doesn't have the type of "Notre Dame clout" necessary to get BCS access...they simply can't win the big games on national TV. Notre Dame built their clout through a vast winning tradition over a long period of time. Winning against the big boys on a consistent basis delivers clout, and the occasional BYU win against top ranked opponents like the Oklahoma's are too few and far between.

A BCS conference is the only way to a BCS bowl for BYU (if that's the real goal of the school). They can actually lose a few games and still win a conference.

As an independent, going undefeated against top opponents is the only way to force the hand of the BCS. Losing to teams like Texas, Utah, and TCU on national TV certainly doesn't help BYU's cause, however unfair or "political" Cougar fans think this might be for their team. That's the downside to the national exposure ESPN provides for BYU...showing the world losses to higher tier teams.

Winning ends the debate. Best of luck to the Cougars.

• estreetshuffle Window Rock, AZ
    Nov. 4, 2011 8:45 a.m.

I've never seen such negative fans. you complain about no exposure. now you are still complaining with the exposure. it takes time for this to develop. please there is not enough tissue and shoulders to cry on. come on be positive.

• flatlander Omaha, NE
    Nov. 4, 2011 8:52 a.m.

I am not sure why but when I watch BYUtv sports the picture is nowhere near the same quality as on ESPN. I watched the volleyball game last night and it was not good quality. When I watch volleyball on the big ten network the quality is much better. Same with the last football game on BYUtv so I do not understand the part of the story that says that BYU has such great production facitilities and HD truck.

Now having said that I might wach the hawaii game but not the other two.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Nov. 4, 2011 8:53 a.m.

If you think exposure to the Utah game or TCU game was great, there is something wrong with your thinking. Yes, it is nice to see the Cougars on TV and many years, but this team is an embarassment to fans. Frankly, I wish none of the games were on TV because I don't want anyone to see how far BYU football has declined in the last two years. There are no prospects for the future until some changes are made.

• scenic view Baltimore, MD
    Nov. 4, 2011 9:02 a.m.

BleedRed

To U, with a regional fanbase, it's all about the money. To BYU, with a nationwide fanbase, nationwide access to BYU sports is more important than money.

BYU's decision whether or not to accept an invitation to join the Big East will be based on how much of that nationwide access BYU has to give up in order to join the Big East. The Big 12 is also still very much in play for BYU, either as a 10th team for 2012, if West Virginia can't leave the Big East until 2013, or as part of a BYU/Louisville expansion of the Big 12 to 12 teams.

Securing an invitation from the Big East isn't even an issue. The invitation is there for the asking and will be forthcoming as soon as BYU notifies the Big East that they'll accept the invitation.

• SyracuseCoug Syracuse, ut
    Nov. 4, 2011 9:08 a.m.

BYU would have to go undefeated in order to get a shot at a BCS bowl in the current independence setup, we are not Notre Dame. That's a lot to ask of the Cougars, history has shown that undefeated seasons are nearly impossible for BYU. I would prefer to be in a BCS conference instead of standing on this island all by ourselves. I guess it comes down to what does BYU want? To stay independent and play a whole bunch of different teams on ESPN and BYUtv to get the exposure (and play in a crappy bowl game), or join a BCS conference and compete for a conference championship and an opportunity to play in a BCS bowl, even with a loss or two. Which option does BYU want?

• jazzfan14 Sandy, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 9:09 a.m.

Portland Trail Blazers:

I seriously doubt that BYU will ever get the Notre Dame rule. I'm not trying to bash BYU, because I don't think most other schools would be able to get it either. Notre Dame is Notre Dame and they will always get that special treatment where nobody else does.

As for your other point that BYU needs to "build rivalries with teams they can expect to play every year. BYU should do it with schools such as, Boise State, Hawaii, Utah State, Air Force, TCU or Houston, UCLA, and Washington". You named eight teams that you want to play every year. I thought one of the benefits to being independent was being able to play a wider variety of teams. Sure you want to have some rivals that you play every year, but I would think you would limit that to 3 or 4.

• BYU Joe MISSION VIEJO, CA
    Nov. 4, 2011 9:10 a.m.

John Blah ...

Why do I we have posts such as your genius thoughts, grace these fine pages. Of course there are Beer commercials during football games, just like Marriott Hotels serve guests who wish alcohol. We can be gracious hosts and maintain standards without being judgmental.

Imagine a church leader coming to a party and then having someone ask him to get wine because they are out of it. You would probably judge him as a bad missionary or evil - Oh wait that already happened 2000 years ago. And he did get the wine for his mom - by using his authority rather than running down to the town bizarre.

So please stop using such a judgmental logic to justify your silliness. We may not drink the stuff but others do and we don't judge them for their actions - oh wait you do.

But while we are on the subject of being non-judgmental - lets all judge Bronco, and staff since we are equally qualified to run a team.

I say lets give BYU football a rest and just focus on all the silly things the Utes dow like a good cougar fan should.

• Pac12Proud SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 9:10 a.m.

CordonBleu | 7:07 a.m. Nov. 4, 2011

"...the beer ads aren't in any way connected to BYU; only a BYU-hater looking for something to whine about would even think of associating them with BYU."

I disagree. ESPN is using the byu games to sell alcohol which pays the contract they have with byu. The alcohol advertisements accompany every televised byu game and demonstrate that byu either did not stand up their values with ESPN or that ESPN ignored byu's attempts to do so. My bet is the former.

But...who cares about standards and values when the money is rolling in.

ESPN - friend or puppeteer?

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 9:11 a.m.

flatlander

BYUtv broadcasts on two channels, here in Utah Ch21 is low def, Ch647 is HD. Check your channel listings to see if there's an BYUtv HD channel, the picture quality is every bit as good as on ESPN, in fact, ESPN/BYUtv share broadcast facilities for BYU home games. If a BYUtv HD channel isn't available, try streaming directly through the BYUtv website.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 9:11 a.m.

ESPN will do anything to keep byu, the love us more than anyone else.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Nov. 4, 2011 9:18 a.m.

Independence is great, and a BCS affiliation is even greater, but unless we have a diehard, in your face, bone crushing, swash buckling, "winning product" like Provo4Life said, then it's simply meaningless because we'll still be viewed by our detractors as irrelevant to the conversation. I've said it once and I'll say it again..."Just win, baby!" Everything else will fall in place if you win, win, win, and win some more, especially against the so called BCS powers.

Go Cougs!

• MapleDon Springville, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 9:23 a.m.

"the Cougars have been targeted as a candidate to join the Big 12 or the Big East." Really? By whom? The conferences clearly are so interested in the Cougs that they gave TCU, SMU, Houston, etc. offers.

So far, BYU hasn't proven itself a candidate of anything other than to be left independent.

And let's applaud ESPN for the bang-up job it has done in helping place its "partner" into an AQ conference. Maybe BYU can anchor a new WAC.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Nov. 4, 2011 9:28 a.m.

I LOVE this contract & agreement with ESPN. To compare this contract to the "TV" contract the MWC had is laughable. Everything about the ESPN contract has been a positive.

Re: JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt "Does anyone else notice the beer and alcohol ads during these ESPN games? Kinda negates the whole missionary tool parroting I hear from byu fan doesn't it?" You're kidding me, right? The school has zero control over the sponsors of college football and ESPN. In no way does any type of commercial mean the school condones it any way. And what type of missionary tool commercials did you ever see in the MWC brodcast commercials? You've gotta find something more gripping than that!

• UtahManDan Providence, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 9:31 a.m.

For the vast majority of BYU fans the move to independence and the contract with ESPN has indeed been a boon. For these fans BYU football will always be relevant regardless of what teams they play. I'm talking about members of the LDS church who like football and support BYU as well as alumni who tune in to watch their alma mater play, not to forget the little kids who can now be exposed to the game. I know as a child I became a fan of college football from watching local teams play on TV.

But there are other fans that are very nervous right now. They are the faction that wants BYU to be great, to win big games and be relevant on the national level. These fans cannot be happy with the way things are being handled. For independence to work BYU has to get off to better starts to the season. Why are they unable to win big games early in the year? Is it the players? Is it the coaching? Is it the mission and goal of the university that is getting in the way?

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Nov. 4, 2011 9:31 a.m.

That is nothing short of awesome!

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    Nov. 4, 2011 9:57 a.m.

@jazzfan14 - Right on. It's no secret that the Catholic Church has 70M members and if even ten percent are Notre Dame fans they have the biggest fan base of any school.

Ernest T. Bass - You need a lesson in Economics. ESPN is doing this because it's making them money, not because they love BYU. Take off your blue goggles.

Pac2Proud - You know how this works. ESPN isn't a friend, they're a business partner.

• flatlander Omaha, NE
    Nov. 4, 2011 10:00 a.m.

To BLUECOUG:

thanks I checked and I do not have the byutv HD channel. Looks like I will keep watching spaghetti western sports

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 10:18 a.m.

Pac12Proud

"ESPN is using the BYU games to sell alcohol which pays the contract they have with BYU. The alcohol advertisements accompany every televised BYU game and demonstrate that BYU's attempts to do so."

Trust a BYU-hating Utah troll to come up with such a silly argument.

BYU games have been broadcast on ESPN since 1984, and on other networks for much longer than that, and beer ads have been a part of those broadcasts for decades; there's nothing unique about the BYU-ESPN partnership in that regard. We live in the world, not of the world, which means we promote our values, but we don't force other people to abide by them.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 10:25 a.m.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 10:34 a.m.

ESPN coverage nationally of the 54-10 beat down was.......priceless.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 10:36 a.m.

JJJHS @ 12:03AM
    No it doesn't negate the whole missionary message. ESPN is allowed to air any commercials they want during games they broadcast. BYU has nothing to do with that and anyone with half a brain knows that. We know you hate BYU but try to use some intelligence in your posts.

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    Nov. 4, 2011 10:42 a.m.

patriot

"ESPN isn't going to renew the contract if BYU keeps losing. BYU has win against Teams like Texas and TCU otherwise what's the appeal for ESPN?"

Maybe someday you'll post something grounded in reality. ESPN doesn't care if BYU wins or loses as long as BYU continues putting an entertaining product on the field.

The Mississippi, Texas, UCF, TCU, OSU, Utah State, and even the Utah games were all entertaining, more so, than Utah's brutally ugly game at Pittsburgh, which was about as entertaining as watching paint dry.

Fans care about wins/losses.

Television bean counters only care about ratings, and even with a less than stellar schedule and win/loss record, BYU's ratings have exceeded ESPN's ratings expectations.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 10:46 a.m.

bleedred
    Talk about leaning on a broken crutch. Utah is desperate for $$. They get it with the PAC but it will likely be around 20-24 million for the first few years they get a full share. Utah's budget will still be far below the average PAC budget; right there with the other bottom teams. BYU wants exposure. They get a minimum of 8 million(actual number for this year is close to 11 million) as a bonus. Exposure to them is huge. They win. ESPN money is great plus they get sponsorship money for BYUTV broadcasts. Their broadcast capabilities are the best in the nation. No one even comes close.
    Me thinks there is a jealous troll lurking in your comments.

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 10:51 a.m.

The exposure may be there for the Y and their fans across the nation and throughout the world, but I have heard more Y fans complain about the teams they play, and the fact that ESPN is burrying them on ESPN 2 or ESPN U at 8:15 on Saturday nights when everyone is asleep, or it is freezing cold out in November so not as many fans will go to the games. No one wants to take their kids out in 30 degree weather late on a Saturday night, when they will most likely fall asleep at the game, or be miserable because of the cold. The exposure is nice, but at what cost?

• Pac12Proud SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 10:53 a.m.

WON84 | 9:57 a.m. Nov. 4, 2011

Agreed. byu fans blast Utah for joining the a conference that may schedule games on Sunday (though I have yet to see a schedule with a Sunday game on it) and assert that Chris Hill took no action to prevent that from occurring.

At the same time, byu's own "business partner" uses byu games to sell alcohol for advertising revenue and pays byu's contract with the proceeds. byu has done nothing to stand tall with ESPN and ensure that people aren't subjected to alcohol sales during byu games. Values? Standards? What values and standards? But money is money. Who cares where it comes from or the values and standards that are sold to get it. Sound familiar?

How incredibly hypocritical of byu fans to point fingers at conferences for something like Sunday play.

Go daddy commercials are also a popular component of revenue for ESPN.

• utahguyiam WEST JORDAN, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 10:55 a.m.

BYU fans who think your schedule will improve through independence need a serious reality check.

Chew on this tidbit: The BCS leagues COMBINED for a total of 7 OOC games between week 6 and rivalry week this year (not counting games against Notre Dame or in-state rivalries). In the future, 2 of those games will be eliminated as the PAC tightens rules on OOC scheduling.

Further, the closest BCS leagues to BYU were also the most stringent on OOC scheduling. The PAC had 2 games (0 in the future), the B12 had 0 games, and the B10 had 1 game.

Only the BE and ACC seem enthusiastic about playing OOC in midseason, and primarily against each other. In fact, those leagues had only ONE OOC opponent from west of the Mississippi (Utah/Pitt).

The only way BYU improves their schedule is if they monopolize those openings, which isn't likely to happen. As long as you're independent, you should get used to playing Idaho and NMSU, because it's who you're going to get in October and November.

• Cougars - Wise Older Brothers Anaheim, CA
    Nov. 4, 2011 10:56 a.m.

@10:34 a.m. Nov. 4, 2011

Jealous little brother obsession with all things BYU....laughable.

It's hillarious that Utah has a game this week at PAC 12 foe Arizona that could decide whether the Utes go bowling this year, yet here you are obsessing about a game that was played over a month ago and against an "irrelevant", non-AQ, "former rival" at that.

Once a little brother, always a little brother.

• utahguyiam WEST JORDAN, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 10:57 a.m.

The SEC is the only BCS league to have a significant # of OOC games in the middle of the season. They have 12. Unfortunately, BYU doesn't qualify to fill those slots.. You see, Louisiana Tech is just about the best of those teams, and half of them are against FCS teams. There's no way they're going to schedule BYU when it's so abundantly clear they only want powder puffs.

• JohnnyJingle SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 11:00 a.m.

IS this breaking news? I have never, ever heard of this ESPN/byu partnership before...

• Oklahoma Cougar Mustang, OK
    Nov. 4, 2011 11:02 a.m.

re: NoblePromise

BYU has never had an issue with scheduling BCS opponents. On a very short notice they have 4 BCS opponents this season and another 5 for next season.

Future seasons after 2013 will include 5-6+ BCS opponents. Always be a few cupcakes, but that is not atypical of almost every major program.

Holmoe did a magnificent job with such a short notice for this season.

• LeftCoastUte DANVILLE, CA
    Nov. 4, 2011 11:50 a.m.

Jeff: Even if it is really true that 1.1 million households tuned into each of 11 games, it's sort of silly to say 1.2 billion households were reached over the course of the season, don't you think? That would mean each household only tuned in once and roughly 1/3 of the world's population caught a game. On paid cable no less.

• deseret pete robertson, Wy
    Nov. 4, 2011 11:53 a.m.

Will all you folks crying about this years schedule take real look at it and with a lot of other teams and you will see it isn't that bad. Especially since we had to start from scratch.Many of you have no conception of what it takes to make a schedule especially going independent. For their first year they have done well.If they were in The Mtn west conference our schedule would not have been any harder. Colo.ST ,New Mexico, UNLV,San Diego St. not much different than some of the lower teams they have played. New Mexico and UNLV being no more competive than Idaho or New Mexico State.Boise St. would have been a good game to have but not possible this year.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 12:00 p.m.

79UTE

The live Utah games are on Root, part of their Fox Sports/PAC-12 packages. Utah doesn't promote it since they get paid by KJZZ. Yes, last week Utah was live on two stations. All Utah games have been live TV.

• Canyontreker TAYLORSVILLE, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 12:24 p.m.

Will it get easier to schedule big games in Provo if they have to play November nights?

• JNA Layton, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 12:30 p.m.

As a Cougar fan I say that it is very nice that we are enjoying our TV contract and exposure, now if we could only win games against quality opponents.

• fan in orem Orem, Utah
    Nov. 4, 2011 1:04 p.m.

It will be interesting to find out if the Cougars, playing late on a Saturday night in November, against a team that isn't any good, will still pull in more fans at the stadium than the utes have EVER had in theirs.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 1:10 p.m.

@Pac12Proud 10:53

I'm one BYU fan who couldn't care less if other teams play on Sunday or not. If the Utes play a game here on there on a Sunday, fine with me. I don't watch very many Utah games anyway.

As for the alcohol ads during BYU games, I don't see the problem. I don't know all the ins and outs of BYU's contract with ESPN, but look at it this way. Marriott hotels don't close on Sundays, and many Marriott properties serve alcohol. In fact, some Marriott properties in different parts of the world have casinos inside their hotels.

Is this hypocrisy on the part of the Marriott chain? In my opinion, it would only be hypocrisy if they attacked other hotel chains for doing the same thing they are doing.

It's impossible for every LDS-affiliated business to demand all of its partners follow the same rules and standards they do. Give and take is sometimes required in business, and for the most part, it sounds like the people most uncomfortable with the beer ads during BYU games are those who hate BYU.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 1:27 p.m.

@Papa Smurf UTE 10:51

@utahguyiam 10:55

Why are you Ute fans still so obsessed about BYU's schedule? Why do you care about BYU in the first place?

Over the past six months I've heard Ute fans say over and over and over again that BYU is beneath them. They've said now that Utah is in the PAC-12, it's time to forget BYU and find a "real" rival, and if BYU fans say anything negative about Utah, it only proves how "jealous" they are of Utah. Yet at the same time, Ute fans continue to troll and troll and troll again about all things BYU.

Why do Ute fans continue to obsess so much about a team they have relegated to the same level as Snow College or Bingham High School?

@LeftCoastUte 11:50

If the Utes had the same ESPN contract, you and your fellow Ute fans would be bragging about the same thing.

• We wear Blue ogden, ut
    Nov. 4, 2011 1:39 p.m.

Attention Ute trolls!!!!
    Did you read the article? Sounds like ESPN is extremely happy with the MILLIONS of viewers it has picked up do to its deal with BYU. Plus the exposure for the Cougars.
    Please answer just one question......
    How many people watch Ute games? If you could find the channel thier games are on, I dont think there are a whole lot of football fans dying to watch a terrible 4_ 4 team stumble through the PAC 12 bottom dwellers.

• Pac12Proud SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 1:41 p.m.

ClarkHippo | 1:10 p.m. Nov. 4, 2011

I don't know what Marriott Hotels has to do with byu but I do know this...byu byu receives revenue from an entity that obtains revenue streams from the advertisement of alcohol during its games. Further, Holmoe has done nothing to curtail or ban those advertisements.

"Give and take is sometimes required in business..." How convenient for the byu collective. Remember your own words the next time you see a post from a byu fan criticizing Utah for moving to a conference that does not ban Sunday play or see a post that criticizes Dr Hill for not demanding the same. That is utter non-sense.

And no, I don't hate byu...I am strong LDS. What I hate are byu fans who use standards when it is convenient for them to do so.

Alcohol ads just a part of business? I am willing to bet that you, too, have used the excuse of "Sunday play" as the reason conferences don't want to get involved with byu. Standards are standards and byu is clearly willing to look past certain standards when it comes to "business" requirements.

How convenient.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Nov. 4, 2011 1:49 p.m.

Re: 54-10 "ESPN coverage nationally of the 54-10 beat down was.......priceless." Yes. You are correct that this game was broadcast by ESPN because, I'll go slow here, the Coug's contract with ESPN requires such. But, guess what? That same ESPN will broadcast the Coug's bowl game this season. Still curious who will broadcast your beloved Utes bowl game. Excuse me. I forgot you have yet to get to 6 wins. Also, still curious about the Pac 12 Championship Game that all you Utes thought was automatic at the beginning of the season. But keep hanging onto the 54-10 beat-down if that's what makes your non-bowl season a success.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 1:55 p.m.

@ We wear Blue | 1:39 p.m. Nov. 4, 2011
    Ogden, Ut

I did enjoy the 54-10 on ESPN.

Did you?

• mightymite DRAPER, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 1:58 p.m.

This has been a dog for ESPN and sources say they are attempting to restructure the contact. ESPN is hoping byu joins a conference so they can get out of this mess. The rating shares have just been horrible.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 2:01 p.m.

"Everything about the ESPN contract has been a positive."

So. Cal Reader:

I guess it takes a Ute fan to throw some cold water on the conflicted cougie fans. You guys simultaneously: 1) thump your chest about the advantages of independence and exposure with your world wide partner, 2) complain about your WAC schedule and ask for more games against BCS teams, 3) demand an invitation to any BCS conference that might have an opening, and 4) want to fire everyone who can't accomplish these mutually exclusive goals.

As your favorite Ducky would say: LOL!

• PAC man Anaheim, CA
    Nov. 4, 2011 2:02 p.m.

Papa Smurf UTE

"I have heard more Y fans complain about the teams they play, and the fact that ESPN is burrying them on ESPN 2"

Get real. There's absolutely no difference between playing on ESPN or ESPN2? They're right next to each other in the channel lineup.

There may be a few Utah trolls and a few casual BYU fans around who don't understand the short-term scheduling issues, but the majority of fans understand that BYU's schedule will improve significantly in the near future.

BYU's 2012 Independent Schedule
    Home: Washington State, Utah State, Hawaii, Weber State, Idaho, Oregon State.
    Away: Georgia Tech, Utah, Boise State, New Mexico State, San Jose State, Notre Dame

That's FIVE BCS teams, far more than BYU has ever had while playing in the MWC.

BYU's 2013 Independent Schedule
    Home: Utah, Georgia Tech, Boise State, Texas.
    Away: Notre Dame, Houston, Utah State, Hawaii, Washington State

That's SEVEN BCS teams, including four at home.

The schedule would still be front-end loaded, which isn't ideal, but otherwise, 2013 looks like the best schedule BYU has ever played, even if you toss in 3 MWC/WAC/C-USA teams to fill out the schedule.

• PAC man Anaheim, CA
    Nov. 4, 2011 2:27 p.m.

Pac12Proud

Their is no conflict between BYU's standards and ESPN's advertising policies. Get over your self-righteous, BYU-hating rant.

Unless BYUtv is running the beer ads or BYU is sponsoring the beer ads, the fact that beer ads run during BYU games is irrelevant.

What's non-sensical is your holier-than-thou, hypocrital whining about something that has absolutely nothing to do with BYU.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 2:43 p.m.

@ PAC man | 2:02 p.m. Nov. 4, 2011
    Anaheim, CA

Wait a minute. I have read many times the BYU trolls telling everyone that the PAC 12 is a loser conference. However, from your analysis it appears you are supporting your argument that BYU's scheduling is getting better by the fact that out of 12 BCS teams BYU plays in the next 2 years, 5 of those games (approx 1/2) are from the PAC 12. You know, that "lousy" conference. So which one is it? The conference is good enough to use as an example of how the BYU schedule is getting better or it's a lousy conference?

• dhsalum Saint George, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 2:46 p.m.

mightymite | 1:58 p.m. Nov. 4, 2011
    DRAPER, UT
    ----------
    What sources? I've heard people on hear say this but I have never seen anything about it, anywhere. And I read just about every article about BYU football on the internet...

• We wear Blue ogden, ut
    Nov. 4, 2011 2:49 p.m.

@54 10
    Thank you for responding to my call out to all trolls.
    I again would like to thank you fot all of your interest and viewership. The trolls plus fans around the world keep BYU growing in popularity.
    Still no answer for how many watch Utah games?......crickets.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 2:49 p.m.

@Pac12Proud 1:41

I mentioned Marriott hotels because, like BYU, they have ties to the LDS Church. Marriotts aren't owned by the church, but the Marriott family is a very well known LDS family.

Go back and read the comment by BYU Joe - 9:10 a.m. Nov. 4, 2011. He makes a great point about BYU vs. beer ads. How rude would it be if I went to a party where there was beer and told everyone they couldn't drink because I was there and I didn't drink?

Sunday play and beer sales are apples and oranges. No one is forcing BYU players and coaches to drink beer. No one is forcing BYU fans to buy beer or even watch the beer ads. Things would clearly be different if BYU was forced to play Sunday games.

You said - "Remember your own words the next time you see a post from a byu fan criticizing Utah for moving to a conference that does not ban Sunday play..."

I agree 100%. Any BYU fan who would say this is being ridiculous. But at least in reference to this story, I've seen little if any criticism of the U's program.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 4, 2011 2:55 p.m.

Pac12Proud

Your tortured logic notwithstanding, only a BYU-obsessed troll would try to argue that EPSN's advertisers have even the slightest connection to BYU.

JohnInSLC

wow, the desperation on the hill is reaching full panic mode isn't it?

This business of Utah spending the entire season on KJZZ, while BYU plays weekly on ESPN is really taking its toll. Soon, the Utah trolls will be blaming the national debt and world hunger on BYU's partnership with ESPN.

Relax. A couple more losses and you can start looking forward to next season when the Utes will supposedly have better television coverage.

• TrollPolice Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 3:07 p.m.

Wow, the trolls are really out in force today trying to convince themselves that playing more games on ESPN than any other team in the country is a bad thing.

If U really love KJZZ that much, you should have Dr. Hill contact Larry Scott to see if the two can make an arrangement to have all of Utah's game played on KJZZ next year.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Nov. 4, 2011 3:15 p.m.

Re: JohnInSLC "So, the 8 year contract with the mothership--who named your coach "Roscoe" and, because of that contract, kept you out of the Big-12--is all good, eh?" Pardon me, but please share with me where you read the ESPN TV contract is what kept the Cougs out of the Big 12? There was never an invitation extended. A lot of speculation, and so glad you trolls were able to chime in on the interest. I repeat what I shared earlier, I'll enjoy the ESPN coverage of our bowl game this year. And your bowl game is ....? Priceless.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 3:22 p.m.

dhsalum

Utah trolls are prone to just making stuff up when reality conflicts with their own distorted view of the world.

2:43 p.m.

Alright, you've convinced me. OSU and WSU are the dregs of the BCS world and BYU should lump those games in with Idaho and New Mexico State. Should we also include Utah in that mix?

That still leaves BYU with several games against great BCS programs in the next couple of years: Texas(twice), Boise State(twice), Georgia Tech(twice), and Notre Dame(twice).

Not bad for the 2nd and 3rd years of independence.

• royalblue Alpine, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 3:34 p.m.

In other news:

When watching Urban Schools Evan Chang playing for the Blues on the volleyball court, you cant help but notice his talent, but something seems off.

Undoubtedly the best player in the programs five-year history, Chang regularly plays out of position for the Blues, but is actually one of the best high school liberos in the Bay Area.

Chang was rewarded for that talent with a recent verbal commitment to BYU, a three-time national champion and consistently one of the best Division I volleyball teams in the nation.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 3:37 p.m.

• nosaerfoecioveht NSL, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 4:09 p.m.

The Y's scheduling will get better than the mess they had this year.

Utah's television exposure will get better than the mess it was this year.

Here's to football in Utah getting better! Lets all have a group hug.

• We wear Blue ogden, ut
    Nov. 4, 2011 4:24 p.m.

@54 10
    The only thing " sad" is you and all the other well known trolls obsession with everything BYU.
    I am still waiting for my answer to how many watch Utah games. I really want to know, because for all your talk about PAC12 dominance it doesnt translate into people watching or caring about your team. While you sit and pound on your computers , every weekend millions are tuning into BYU football. And you can admit that before joining the PAC12 you never watched any of their games either.

• nosaerfoecioveht NSL, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 4:42 p.m.

@We Wear Blue

"BYU has joined the ranks of Notre Dame, LSU, Texas in viewership and that my friends is power."

The word "goggles" is missing from the end of your screen name.

• UtahManDan Providence, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 4:48 p.m.

Ute trolls need to give it a rest. BYU has a good thing going with ESPN and every BYU fan I know is happy to be free of the Mountain Channel.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Nov. 4, 2011 4:59 p.m.

Re: 54-10 "I feel badly for BYU "fans". They have 2 byes in a month that everyone else plays a full schedule of conference games and they have the 109th rated strength of schedule. Sad really." Not too sad to get the bowl recognition this year. What bowl recognition will the Utes get? I had the Pac 12 Conf. Champtionship circled to see how strongly your Utes would "represent." Ummm, I've crossed out the game. ASU will represent the Southern Conference just fine.

• greenshovel SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 5:14 p.m.

If I was working at ESPN, I'd make sure to have a free beef jerky day in the parking lot each July. Give a nice treat to all the fans.

• CanuckFan Vancouver, BC
    Nov. 4, 2011 5:32 p.m.

ESPN is not legally allowed to be broadcast in Canada, so I'm still stuck watching it on JustinTV. I'd gladly pay to watch if it was possible.

• just-a-fan Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 4, 2011 5:54 p.m.

I'd rather go back to no ESPN games and a great team.

• Floyd Johnson Broken Arrow, OK
    Nov. 5, 2011 12:01 a.m.

just-a-fan

I'll take both the great team and the improved access. I appreciate your personal preference. If I lived close enough to Provo to hold season tickets, I may concur. For those of us unable to attend games, indepence has significantly improved our access to games and our ability to follow the team. BYU's ability to play is in no way hindered by their independent status. Enjoy the access. Enjoy the sport.

• Independence Is Bliss San Jose, CA
    Nov. 5, 2011 12:29 a.m.

Exposure, Exposure, Exposure.

That's all that matters. If you have exposure, everything else falls into place. With exposure comes: recruits, fans, branding, credibility, good schedules, and hopefully wins.

It's nice to know the admin at BYU has some business sense, because heaven knows most of you complainers (read: trolls) don't. When my business launches a product, our goal is to get it in front of as many people as possible. Makes sense, right? Especially if we had an exclusive agreement with the #1 marketing firm (ESPN) and the best in-house marketing team among all our competitors (Broadcasting facility).

Oh yeah, and all those complaining about our schedule, show me any team in the country that can put a great schedule together in 1 year.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Nov. 5, 2011 2:32 a.m.

We have Utah lawmakers passing laws to limit alcohol ads and even the pouring of Drinks behind a glass wall and no one here has a problem with alcohol ads during BYU games? As someone who is LDS I don't care if people drink because it is their choice but BYU accepting money from espn who plays these ads during the game does not feel right to me. Is BYU so desperate for exposure that they are ok with these ads during the games? It is a legitimate question.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 7:52 a.m.

To all those pining for an HD quality signal for BYU games Fresnogirl has mentioned her Roku box delivers great quality.

That's a little box you hook up to the internet and a direct HDMI cable to your HD tv for streaming content. Cost about $95 at Costco I noticed the other day.

I'm assuming this would be for the delayed broadcasts on BYUtv. Not sure about it working in Canada.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 7:56 a.m.

There are many pros and cons to consider with BYU and the Big East, and honestly, the only thing driving this train is 1 guaranteed bid, per AQ BCS Conference.

6 Conferences each have one guaranteed bid. 4 more bids are at-large invitations.

That's 10 bids per year for roughly 70+ schools belong to "BCS Conferences".

Which bring us back to BYU.

BYU is a National Brand which is one of just a few which could survive on their own name. Schools like Utah, Northwestern, Baylor etc. need to piggyback on a Conference and take whatever is offered. (delayed revenue sharing)

BYU has Exposure (10 ESPN games)and their own Network TV package. It's bringing them 15+ million per year, minimum, up from 1.5 million with the MWC. Estimates I've read indicate the Big East would only bring BYU 8-9 million.

Does BYU give up their "Assets", every game on National TV, ESPN contract etc., just for a BCS Conference affilaition?

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Nov. 5, 2011 10:03 a.m.

"That is a whole lotta schools which will never sniff at a BCS bowl. And a whole lotta schools riding and coat-tailing the achievements of others, simply because of a phony, illegal caste system."

Utah, TCU, Boise State have all done it twice, Hawaii did it once. Freaking Hawaii did it once!!! How come BYU can't do it once if BYU is supposed to be so good? The caste system was created because of BYU's phony national championship so deal with it and get to a BCS game and until then stop complaining about it.

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Nov. 5, 2011 10:21 a.m.

JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt

The only thing phony about BYU's 1984 National Championship are the phony "experts" who think they know more than the majority of voters on the AP and Coaches polls who, after careful scrutiny for over a month, selected BYU as the most deserving team to be name 1984 National Champion.

It's a part of history that whiny Utah fans will never be able to change.

Call us when Utah wins their first anything on a national scale - National Championship, Heisman, Outland, Davey O'Brien, Sammy Baugh, Doak Walker, National College Football Hall of Fame player.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 2:11 p.m.

"If Utah is so good, how come the Utes have never won a national award of any kind in their entire history?"

PHX, I didn't see any mention about bowl winning percentage in your chest thumping recital from ancient history. If you want to go back in time, you should know that the Utes have as many coaches in the College Football Hall of Fame as BYU. Search for Ike Armstrong, Utah's coach while the cougies were still in diapers.

The Utes have a recent distinction BYU will never achieve. Utah is the only school in the country to ever have No. 1 NFL and NBA draft picks in the same year.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Nov. 6, 2011 7:48 a.m.

Well based on that criteria, Texas, Ohio St., USC, Michigan, Alabama and 115 other D-1 programs, having nothing on U.

Find it where you can Utes, pretty tortured logic, but whatever floats your boat.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Nov. 6, 2011 10:43 a.m.

Wow

Ike Armstrong?
    Desperate?
    That's it? That and 6 good years?
    If 8 game seasons in the leather helmet era (playing teams like West High and Fort Douglass C squad) is your claim to fame, then have at it.

When it is all said and done...

U still have No Heismans, Outlands, Hall of Famers, Davey O'Briens, Sammy Baugh's, Doak Walkers, National Championship, let alone 23 Conference Championships, NFL MVP's, Super Bowl MVP's, nor any interest from the Major Networks.

But you rest on Andrew Bogut, Alex Smith and Ike Armstrong.

Yee Ha!

• UteMiguel Go Utes, CA
    Nov. 6, 2011 5:19 p.m.

@79Ute
    You need to look a little harder for the Utah games (or sign up for DirecTV). I also live in OC and I have seen every Utah game in real time (though I had to watch Montana State streamed over the internet).

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    Nov. 6, 2011 5:30 p.m.

Yawn.
    Yes, BYU players have earned a lot of awards and recognition. And they won lots of conference titles and a national title.
    Face it, had you actually belonged to a real conference in all that time of WAC dominance. You never would have earned 90% of what you were awarded. Power conferences did not want you then, and they don't want you now. Well unless you are a failing conference like the BE or BIG12.

• abejones SCOTT DEPOT, WV
    Nov. 7, 2011 7:42 a.m.

As a BYU/ WVU/ Big East Fan, I'd love to see BYU in the new proposed two division Big East. I regret my state university abandoned ship for the cow colleges of the Big 12. As universities they don't compare with Rutgers, U Cinn, U Conn, Louisville, and now Houston and Air Force. I trust BYU's leadership to be next generation statesmen and not next election politicians. None of us has the info to weigh the ESPN/independent status with the identity= natural rivalry status of the new Big East Also, the year 2011 is neither the beginning nor the end of Byu history.We tire of the 'what have you done for me lately" crowd, who think the football Cougars, like good wives, are there to polish their egos each week.BYu has beaten at least three or more teams from every BCS conference.from the west coast to Boston College. Notre Dame lost to USF, the last place team in the Big East, but no one knocks ND OR its deceptive schedule which always sounds better than it is. Six of !2 have losing records.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 7, 2011 8:09 a.m.

Bluto:

Still thumping your chest about things that happened in the Reagan Administration, eh?

In the last 8 years, Utah has two more things BY-High will never see again:
    Undefeated seasons!

Yee-ha indeed!

• radically_independent Orem, Utah
    Nov. 7, 2011 11:07 a.m.

Someone on here made the statement that the ratings were going great for BYU.

According to what? AdWeek's numbers for the ESPN games have hardly made the advertisers turn their heads. And after all, these are the people who pay for those games to be broadcast. Unless there are advertising dollars flowing, you will see your "national" venue go away.

The Y has to put an exciting brand of football on the field. I think they can, hope they can.... but the last couple of years hasn't made people to excited to tune in a watch - unless you like watching BYU loose.