Jody Genessy: NBA labor: With season's start stalled, hey, thanks for nothing NBA

Comments

• IndeMak South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 8:44 p.m.

I don't care anymore.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    Nov. 1, 2011 1:28 a.m.

I do care . . . but I want them to fix the problems in the current Collective Bargaining Agreement before they resume play.

If that means losing an entire season then so be it. I want a balanced NBA in which every team has a legitimate shot at making it to the championship game . . . based not which owner has the deepest pocketbook or which Super Stars decide they want to rig their contracts so they can play together but on smart management, great coaching and team play.

• RinAZ Mesa, AZ
    Nov. 1, 2011 3:20 a.m.

That's ok that the season is so far cancelled(hopefully the entire year). I have better things to do than watch grown men who are way overpaid whiners. Maybe now we can turn our attention to some important things like paying teachers more.

• Chumpley South Jordan, Utah
    Nov. 1, 2011 6:36 a.m.

We will see how many of the greedy self centered players enjoy being unemployed. News flash you can't make the kind of money you are used to in the private sector with your job skills. Basketball players have the most arrogant attitudes in all sports I dont care if the greedy players get back to work at all this year.

• Razoo Toquerville, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 6:59 a.m.

Now here's an idea. On the average the Jazz play 3-4 games per week? Lets say 7 hours per week to be conservative. Let's take 1/2 of that time, say 3 hours to better ourselves, or our community. To give back in some way.

I do feel for all the ancillary organizations affiliated with the Jazz, but not for the players...that's for sure.

• coleman51 Orem, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 7:15 a.m.

The problem with negotiating a new collective bargaining agreement rests squarely with Billy Hunter, the union negotiator. He has been tone-deaf regarding any movement toward an agreement. He needs to be replaced or not around in order to get an agreement. With him there, the entire season will be in jeopardy. The players need to realize that he is not negotiating in good faith and that he really does not represent their best, long-term interests.

• arsphd Provo, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 7:34 a.m.

Here's to hoping the owners hold out. The NBA only gets better if the players are humbled a little bit. The attitudes of many of these players makes watching the NBA difficult at times. The can run, jump and put a leather ball through a hoop, I dare say every human on earth can do something that spectacular.

• yarrlydarb Ogden, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 7:41 a.m.

As far as I'm concerned, the season should not start until December, and it should end in March.

That way I could probably muster up enough enthusiasm for it to last to season's end.

I mean, until April when the best of seven-game final is over between the team with the best overall record from western conference and the team with the best overall record from eastern conference is crowned as NBA Champion.

Yes; I'm saying eliminate the horrendously long playoffs that currently include all but the very bottom cellar-dwellers.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Nov. 1, 2011 7:44 a.m.

Who ARE these players you mention in the article? Doesn't the Jazz have ANY stars? No wonder the fans' comments here are so melancholy...

-A Laker Fan

BTW - I also don't care if we have a season. I have said for over 10 years that the players' salary levels were un-maintainable, and hoped for just this kind of work stoppage to humble them a little. Unfortunately, it will only be that - a little.

Here's a thought - assuming they do come back, how about WE don't? Maybe a year with no revenue and no fans inthe stands would make them understand that they are not a necessity - they are a diversion.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Nov. 1, 2011 8:04 a.m.

I think the players need to bench Derek Fisher. All they're doing is killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.

• utefan56 st george, utah
    Nov. 1, 2011 8:19 a.m.

the jazz are horrible anyway ....nobody cares anymore...just cancel the entire season!!

• high school fan Huntington, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 8:22 a.m.

we just watched a great world series, the NFL is going great, college football is exciting and college basketball is right around the corner. we have plenty to keep us busy. who needs the NBA.
    I lost interest in the nba when miami pulled off their stunt but it started when the lakers got gasol for nothing. all teams need to be able to compete, not just the select few.
    the league needs a hard cap or they need to go away.
    I do feel sorry though for the ushers, tocket takers, concessioniares, all the people taht make a game happen.

• gunsablazing Roy, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 8:38 a.m.

I think everyone should boycott basketball once they do (if they do) ever start this season. Nobody outside of the basketball organization gives a rat's about their bickering.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 8:52 a.m.

those greedy players won't go poor. They better do something better like helping the poor and people with disabilities. Or play over seas.

• Bearone Monroe, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 8:52 a.m.

@ high school fan--

You are correct in your comments. The NBA is making a big mistake if they don't fix their problems with a system that ensures a level playing field for all teams like what the NFL has in place finally.

I can do without the NBA this year if it will bring these rich, whiny players back to earth.

Like you, I feel sorry for the people who work the jobs at the games who are losing out on income they probably need badly to make ends meet.

• JP Chandler, AZ
    Nov. 1, 2011 8:53 a.m.

Go RSL!

• CWEB Orem, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 9:02 a.m.

For the life of me, I don't understand why the fans don't boycott an equal number of games that the owners and players don't play.

People: You have tremendous power in this, but fail to exercise it. So if you don't boycott their games, then don't complain.

For me, not going, not watching on TV for the entire season...if they have one.

• arizona ute Laveen, AZ
    Nov. 1, 2011 9:06 a.m.

No need for the NBA with all other sports giving us great entertainment. Get out and support the Utes, Grizzlies, RSL, and even the teams down South. Feel bad for the Ushers and Concession people etc. though.

• SpanishImmersed Mesa, AZ
    Nov. 1, 2011 9:06 a.m.

Overpaid gladiators for your discretionary income. Fans are frustrated because they need this diversion from regular life where they can cheer a pseudo-patriotic team fighting for their city or state (as is the case with Utah). Each team with its mix'n match players, pro sports at its finest. It's where the 'in' crowd goes, its the the place to be, and the place to be seen, and the place to waste your time and money.

The NBA is sort of like Opera. I saw an NBA game once. Why go back? What's the point?

• Manny Saint George, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 9:08 a.m.

As long as we still have college basketball and March Madness, I'm okay that the players and owners are not in agreement yet. Maybe it's time they suffer for a season and realize they a very lucky making easy money like they do every season.

• Ms Molli Bountiful, Utah
    Nov. 1, 2011 9:12 a.m.

I encourage everyone to take that time and money they would have spent on tickets and other stuff at the game and find a good cause to spend the time and money on. Lots of good could be done!

• RedRyder SLC, Utah
    Nov. 1, 2011 9:20 a.m.

Ungrateful cry babies...every last one of them.

• BU52 Provo, ut
    Nov. 1, 2011 9:33 a.m.

Maybe some of the stimulus money can be directed to this poor league, its pretty serious when a whole industry is unemployed. I wonder if they are also negotiating on the number and sizes of tatoos?

• HCB63 Orem, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 9:40 a.m.

The players, seeking an ever larger slice of the revenue pie, are the ones to blame here...not the owners. I wonder if the players have ever asked themselves, "How much is enough? $30M?, 50M?, 100M?

After watching the NBA for decades, I have not seen an evolution of the game, but instead, have witnessed the slow de-evolution of what was once a phenomenal sport. At the heart of this backward progress has been the players and their increasing salary demands, free agency run amouck, childish temper tantrums at being called for a foul, players assaulting coaches, a plethora of 19 y/o rookies, increasing brutality on the court, a gang-style mentality amongst numerous players, and players who have become so selfish and self-absorbed that they skip practices and verbally assualt coaches and owners then say they are a victim of whatever circumstance they are whining about at that particular time.

I applaud the owners and the Commish for standing their ground in an effort to run their businesses profitably and top take back control of their team investments. The players have had too much power for far, far too long.

No NBA season? Awesome!

• KK Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 10:10 a.m.

I love the Jazz more than any team in any other sport. I haven't missed a game on TV since I can't remember when. This is a sad sad night for me... Some people say they don't care anymore, but I do. I feel worse for the people that work at the arena for their livelihood and all the schools that run the concessions to try and earn money to keep their sport going. So many people are hurt on so many different levels.

• Aloha Saint George Saint George, Utah
    Nov. 1, 2011 10:18 a.m.

The NBA is an inferior product. it's full of Primadonas who are more concerned about the money than playing the game how it's suppose to be played. One thing money can't buy is HEART. That is the key ingredient about what's missing in the NBA. The player own the league to where owners and coaches have little control over their teams. If they want the cash, I would gladly pay the money to watch the world's best in basketball if they played like it night after night.

• The Deuce Livermore, CA
    Nov. 1, 2011 10:26 a.m.

First of all, I am a basketball fan. I love the game. But, the NBA season is way too long for anyone to enjoy. Professional sports overlap way too much as it is. In my opinion only, the season should not start until December and the finals should be done by May. Baseball should start in May and the series should end in September. Typically, we have soccer, baseball, football and basketball all overlapping in the Fall. This is ridiculous. This type of schedule would benefit players and keep the game fresh and interesting. Games would mean more. For me, college hoops will more than take the place of the pro game for this year. Let them continue to fight for the rest of the season. It might be interesting to see how things play out.

• OnlyInUtah Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 10:41 a.m.

I do care about the owners.. they employ a lot of middle class people who are trying to survive in this financial crisis. It's the players that I don't care about. Cancel their contracts and break the Union. Restart the NBA or create another league with players that will appreciate the opportunities.

• Monsieur le prof Sandy, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 10:43 a.m.

I really don't care much. I much prefer college hoops anyway. Instead of paying exorbitant sums of money to whiney players who do little for others, they should give this money to those who really make a difference in society: teachers, firemen, police officers, nurses, etc.

Yeah, I know. I'm living in a fantasy world. But I can dream, can't I?

• woodysworld Sandy, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 10:50 a.m.

When the Jazz call about season tickets I just ask them "if you went to a bad play or a movie, would you pay to see it again"?

Spoiled athletes. It's entertainment, nothing more. That's what the public pays for. Try getting a real job ok?

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 11:04 a.m.

If the NBA imploded today, the billionaire owners would still be mega-rich, some even richer. The uneducated, unskilled players would be lining up for $25/hour jobs. TRUTH!

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 11:27 a.m.

It took me a second to even realize the NBA lockout is still ongoing. HMMM ... must really not be that important after-all.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 11:36 a.m.

rvalens2, you are 100% correct and I totally agree with you!

In addition, what gives any writer the right to tell the NBA owners to compromise? Just because your beat is on strike? The NBA owners are running a business, and just like any business if it isn't a sound business model you can't just go on because of the employees and absorb the losses, you need to fix it. The NBA owners let the players have way too much control and need to fix it or risk even further damage to the league. The players are overpaid and guaranteed contracts should be done away with. If the players don't perform they should get cut with no reprecussion to the teams. Boozer stole millions from the Jazz because he could sit out with fake injuries and still got paid.

• Mr. Obvious Sandy, Utah
    Nov. 1, 2011 12:17 p.m.

Why do people even watch this garbage! NBA is a bunch of egocentric spoiled men that believe they are the gift to humanity.

The best ticket in town, College sports; still pure to the games.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 12:39 p.m.

ha ha ha, RSL? hahahahaha, not ever, ever, will I go see a soccer game where the flopping makes the NBA players look like real men, that's a hilarious joke. If there is a sport full of players I can't stand more than the nba it's surely minor league soccer.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 1:10 p.m.

I'll tell you what! My Utes would love the Jazz not playing as there would be a renewed interest in the hoops program with some really good teams coming in each week and just having someone to cheer for.

I still think there should be an intermountain hoops tourney at the ESA over the Thanksgiving holiday. Weber, Utah, BYU, USU, SUU,Dixie, UVU. It would be fun to watch and the locals would always have someone to cheer for. Add a Wyoming to round out to 8 teams with a winner and losers bracket.

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 1:53 p.m.

I will simply remember that our Utah Jazz franchise could care less if we watch the Utah Jazz play again. They're better off as a business if the NBA folds. So they have locked the players, and now the fans, out of their business.

I will remember that the Utah Jazz players are not chomping at the bit to play basketball for us. They just want our money. Our players are not telling the NBPA to get real.

Our Utah Jazz is nothing more than a bankrupt business with a bunch of employees who want money, money, money.

If only the owners and the fans had the passion for the game like the fans have.

• YouthforEagar MONROE, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 2:19 p.m.

What selfish players. I want to watch sports!

• jdizzle Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 7:50 p.m.

So I guess there's a whole bunch of fickle fans who could care less. In response to all the negative comments I say go away! I want a season, a whole season(I know its no longer possible), and I want it now!!!! Watching Jazz games gives me the incentive I need to get through school. It brings me more happiness than you could imagine.

• Chuck Nunn Logan, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 9:28 p.m.

Despite the delayed start of the NBA season, an NBA official has already preemptively whistled Kyrylo Fesenko for three fouls ...

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    Nov. 1, 2011 11:34 p.m.

Hey folks...not so fast...let's not forget that the corrupt BCS is destroying college football just like the greedy players are destroying the NBA. And the wimpy NCAA stands by powerless and lets it happen.

• RaininTime Orem, UT
    Nov. 5, 2011 9:05 p.m.

There is no way that i will allow my time or money go to anything NBA. And for the record, i applaud Jody Gennesey for speaking up for the little guy.
    Perhaps as part of the CBA the players can ask for a percentage point or two for all the Arena employees.
    This whole NBA and its pathetic excuse for entertainment, as well as their CBA is Americana at its finest.
    I cant believe we live in a Society that actually puts up with The status quo of Sports, politicians and MegaMonopolies that are built to squash the little guy.
    Land of opportunity?
    Sure is if you are athletic or have a face for tv or if you are good at being deceptive.