High school football: State tournament pairings

Comments

• tigerfan HURRICANE, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 10:28 p.m.

We've been talking big on Reg 9 and I'm still saying 3 out of 4 of us are going to RES. Hurricane should be able to beat Grantsville if they play their game. Cedar vs Delta will be a great game and it's hard to bet against Delta but I'm giving the upset to Cedar. I'm totally guessing on DH. If there studs are ok to play this Friday I'm predicting the upset over Stansbury. If two or more are out, all bets are off. I would love to see every game in the Quarters if I could.

• wolfalum Plain City, UT
    Oct. 30, 2011 12:07 a.m.

The weather forecast calls for a high of 42 degrees with rain/snow mix. I love highschool football playoffs in Utah.

• H-TownRam79 Sugarhouse, UT
    Oct. 30, 2011 1:43 a.m.

Ahh, Playoffs, when anything can happen. Like in 5A where I had Alta in the championship game, and they lost to Syracuse... I'm predicting Bingham, West, Lone Peak and Jordan at Rice Eccles.
    As for 4A I was pretty accurate, I would've been perfect if it wasn't for Westlake, I'm thinking East and Timpview get wins this round, and move on, Oly and Bountiful will be tight, but I see Oly pulling through, also, I'm predicting that Highland will have a break out game, and get past Logan (I'll admit, I'm biased, and won't predict against my own school)
    In 3A I got all of the 1st round predictions right, and i see Hurricane, JD, Delta, and Stansbury advancing.
    but regardless of what happens, you gotta love playoffs.

• just fyi American Fork, UT
    Oct. 30, 2011 2:35 a.m.

Who did west play last in the quarter finals?

• Straight Forward>>> utah, UT
    Oct. 30, 2011 9:40 a.m.

What happened to judge? Overrated

• ummmm utah, UT
    Oct. 30, 2011 9:45 a.m.

I hope to see some coaching changes in region 10! It's the only way they ever gonna compete! (JD excluded)

• H-TownRam79 Sugarhouse, UT
    Oct. 30, 2011 9:59 a.m.

just fyi

this is the first time west has won a playoff game since 1997 when they lost 34-0 to timpview in the quarterfinals.

• justfacts4u Sandy, UT
    Oct. 30, 2011 10:12 a.m.

@just fyi
    Not sure what your question was. But West will play Syracuse this Friday. It is it's first semi-final game since 1998, but I am unsure of who they played them.
    Regardless. Look to see them at Rice Eccles in two weeks.

• mykaljordan draper, ut
    Oct. 30, 2011 10:15 a.m.

IMO

West has alot of talent on that team,they just need direction.With the right leadership and program,I think they could be a top 5A contender again.Now with Alta out looks like if LP keeps doing what they have been doing this season their top pickings for the 5A title.

On the flipside,its exciting that we are getting close to the finals.If JD and Hurricane both win this friday,we will all be treated to a GREAT GAME in the semis.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OUR STUDENT-ATHLETES IN ALL DIVISIONS!!

GO JD SOARING EAGLE..!!

• BT1984 West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 30, 2011 11:03 a.m.

Just fyi, H-TownRam79 has the right answer. West last made the quarterfinals after beating Weber 23-14 in the first round in 1997. To look up answers like that here all you have to do is click on the school name in the standings then browse their records over the years. Click on the year in the team record window then change it to whatever year you want to see. Not all records are complete or accurate but most seem to be.

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Oct. 30, 2011 12:24 p.m.

@ummmm, please tell us which coaches specifically in region 10? Your comment was too vague. Are you suggesting that Wasatch, PC, Union, Judge, and Uintah all need new coaching staffs?

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 30, 2011 1:33 p.m.

Gotta love it

Bingham over Fremont 27-24
    West over Syracuse 10-7
    Lone Peak Rols
    Jordan wins!

4 salt lake valley teams in the semis!

Oh that would be awesome!

• tigerfan HURRICANE, UT
    Oct. 30, 2011 1:36 p.m.

@wolfalum
    Weatherman says 55 and 20% chance of rain down South so not a problem for Hurricane. We run 90-10 anyway. Cedar and Delta both run a lot but advantage goes to Delta as Ursua may be easier to contain if the pass threat is lessened but I'm still going with Cedar. Bad weather would have to be an advantage for Stansbury but I think DH will prevail. Would love to hear some input from the Stansbury folks. Maybe they are the only smart ones sitting back quietly letting all of us run our mouths.

• TCnewsie Tooele, UT
    Oct. 30, 2011 2:02 p.m.

@ummmm, I don't think they need new coaching staffs. I think they need a recruiting director like they have at Juan Diego. I think the coaches in Region 10 are doing just fine with the resources that they are given.

• Tbirds4lyfe South Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 30, 2011 2:45 p.m.

Binghamalum,
    Your credibility is out. You said Region 7 was overrated and would get swept by Region 5. Also, LP is in Utah County, which by the way will also have at least one inthe 4A semi too. If TV and Westlake didn't play each other, they'd have 2. Either way, Utah County will bring home both 5A & 4A titles.

• Old ball coach Sandy, UT
    Oct. 30, 2011 3:25 p.m.

Snoozer A (5a): Fremont, Syracuse, Lone Peak, Jordan

Runner up A (4a): Logan, East, Timpview, 0lympus

Best division A (3a): hurricane, Juan Diego, Delta, desert hills

Should be fun next week, except 5a!!!

• STANS13URY TOOELE, UT
    Oct. 30, 2011 3:35 p.m.

Over at Stansbury, we just feel really grateful to have made the playoffs, and that our football program is developing, and getting some recognition. This is only our third year afterall. Our starting QB is a sophomore, which is pretty awesome, and we're doing good this year. So proud of our team! We are really hoping to do well against Desert Hills on Friday. Our season is going awesome, and we really don't want it to end! Wish us luck! :)

• Razoo Toquerville, UT
    Oct. 30, 2011 3:52 p.m.

Mark it down!
    Hurricane over Grantsville about 45 to 7.
    Cedar over Delta 28 to 21
    Desert Hills over Stansbury 28 to 14
    Oh yes - JD wins over Spanish Fork 28 to 7.

• mykaljordan draper, ut
    Oct. 30, 2011 4:10 p.m.

@TCnewsie

Once again can you name one kid that was recruited? didnt think so.its funny how when teams from up north dont do so well against the teams from down south,they say JD recruits.you are killing me with all your assumtions.JD is the only 3A team that can compete with region 9,because our O line is all over 300lbs,our WRs our 6'6 D-line average 6'4 275lb and our DBs all run a 4.4 40(im being sarcastic).Maybe some teams from the north need more heart..heres the thing IMO the only 3A team that will represent 3A in the NORTH is JD..The thing the JD has that these tough teams have from the south is PASSION.

p.s
    Tooele should look at hurricane,cedar,dixie just to name a few,They for a small town like yours have some of the toughest youngmen in football,like JD the Kids believe they can win,and believe in their coaches and the program.They dont complain when they lose,they make ADJUSTMENTS..!!looks like you need to make a few..

GO JD EAGLE...!! STAY THE COURSE..!!

DEDICATION TO DETERMINATION LEADS TO DOMINATION..

• scrappy do DRAPER, UT
    Oct. 30, 2011 4:52 p.m.

TCnewsie has no clue

I'm sure he believes stansbury, grantsville and perhaps JD recruited away all the best Tooele little league players.. Ha

I bet you Mr. Brady gets that team rolling again soon

TC is just ignorant of the facts

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 30, 2011 6:00 p.m.

Alright Fremont fans, you got your wish, let's see what you got! Love the playoffs. Bring it or go home.
    Go Miners!!

Old ball coach

We'll see how many show up to the 5A finals vs the 3A, people wanna watch the big boys play. The black and blue classic will have had more fans.

• papi_chulo Ogden, UT
    Oct. 30, 2011 6:59 p.m.

Fremont 24 Bingham 21
    Northridge 38 Lone Peak 35 (OT)
    Viewmont 27 Jordan 24
    Syracuse 31 West 14

An all Region 1 (old Region 1) semifinal would be fitting for this years 5A playoffs! Good luck to all teams from Northern Utah.

• Old ball coach Sandy, UT
    Oct. 30, 2011 7:30 p.m.

I would like to see how many people would travel to St. George to watch a 5a championship game? Not many....and 3a has produced the most exciting championship games the last 3 years...

I say that 3a is the best league because there are multiple teams that have a good shot at winning the title. In 5a....it's Lone Peak, Bingham, and Fremont this year.....everyone else is average!!!

They might be the big boys....but there is little excitement in that league!

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Oct. 30, 2011 8:03 p.m.

Hurricanefans- Thank you for your hospitality and warm welcome into your new facility. It looks like you guys are going to have a great new school and your field is awesome. Very nice fans and players, many of our players commented on how there was no trash talking during or after the game. Very classy! The score was a blowout, but hey, at least we covered the Dnews spread! Anyway, it was nice to travel to your place and feel a warm welcome and deal with some very classy fans, easily the best that we've dealt with all year. You all should be very proud of your team and I'm hoping that you get your title this year. Best of luck!

• loverofthegame Provo, UT
    Oct. 30, 2011 8:21 p.m.

i wouldnt be surprised if one home team won this week... Lone Peak.

• Tbirds4lyfe South Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 30, 2011 8:34 p.m.

Old Ball Coach,

You are clueless. Hurricane is an overwhelming favorite with Juan Diego really the only challenge they'll have this year. It was like that last year too.

Lone Peak may be the favorite but it would not surprise many to see them lose in the semis where I think Jordan will actually beat them. Fremont and Bingham have a good chance as well while it wouldn't surprise many if Northride or Syracuse make a run.

The only team in4A that people aren't giving much a chance is Westlake. I hope my TV doesn't overlook them because they are becoming who most thought they were going to be when they were picked to win Region 5.

Your bias for 3A is making you look ignorant.

• titan4life1 syracuse, ut
    Oct. 30, 2011 9:29 p.m.

Go Syracuse!!! I can't wait for some more football on Friday!!

• root for the underdog Delta, Ut
    Oct. 30, 2011 9:41 p.m.

Tbirds4lyfe

Tell me how much do you even know about the other 3A teams? I'm willing to bet you haven't seen most of the 3A teams play if any. I'm sure you are basing you opinion from articles the DesNews seems to write weekly about Hurricane and Juan Diego. The other teams don't get much coverage. I agree Hurricane is the favorite. But to say Juan Diego is the only challenge Hurricane will have is ignorant.

• Gotitans! SYRACUSE, UT
    Oct. 30, 2011 10:04 p.m.

@titan4life1
    Couldn't agree more! after last weeks game i'm totally pumped for this weeks!

• Highland High Pride Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 30, 2011 10:18 p.m.

HTownRam-79.
    Could not agree more. Good to see another Highland fan here.

• mightyd Fbtown, UT
    Oct. 30, 2011 10:22 p.m.

@yankees27
    Thank you for the nice comments bout Hurricane and the fans. We appreciate your traveling all the way down to southern Utah. Good luck next year and we hope to meet you again.
    Lots of great match ups this coming week....a lot of questions will be answered bout the talent of the northern vs southern schools. My picks for the quarterfinals: can't pick against my Tigers...Hurricane 49 Grantsville 13, I give a slight edge to Desert Hills 28 Stansbury 21, this is the tough one but I think Cedar will pull it off Cedar 24 Delta 21 (it's hard to pick against either of these teams), and last but not least I have to go with the defending champions Juan Diego 35 Spanish Fork 14. I had to eat a little crow the last time I picked Cedar but I'm sure it will be a great game! Good luck to all 3A schools!

• guv_garfunkel Highland, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 1:47 a.m.

My picks for 3A:
    Hurricane slaughters Grantsville, 45-7. Sorry Grantsville.
    My major upset of the week, Spanish Fork pulls off the unthinkable. 24-21 for SF over JD.
    I have to pick my good old Delta Rabbits over Cedar (21-14). I will say of all the southern teams, aside from Hurricane, Cedar scares me the most and I wish Delta hadn't drawn them in the quarter finals. I really have no idea how this game will go. We will see!
    Finally, DH over Stansbury 24-21, although I hope Stansbury wins. Nothing over the southern schools, but I love to see the underdog come through, and I am considering Stansbury the underdog in this one.

• HIGHLAND RAM Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 4:43 a.m.

Lets hope the same Highland from the LP game shows up this friday.

• vail39 Summerville, SC
    Oct. 31, 2011 6:21 a.m.

Even Though I live in SC I know The Coach of the Stansbury, and he will not be satsfied with his team just being there. He Expects His team to be there. They will beat DH 35-21. Stansbury Running game is very hard to contain.

• 85Tiger Orem, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 6:56 a.m.

Underdog,
    T-Bird is right. If Hurricane and JD were in different brackets, they'd play in the finals again. Spanish Fork is the only othr team that has a little chance to win it all. Whoever comes out of your bracket will get hammered in the finals (if it's Cedar, they'll make it a decent game).

Go ahead and make a case for for Stansbury, Grantsville, Desert Hills, Delta or Cedar to win it all. I'll bring you back to reality.

In 4A, Westlake maybe the only school that's a long shot and yet, more and more people including TV fans know it's going to be a battle. All the other teams have a legit shot to win it all (Logan is not the BIG favorite as people may think. They may lose to Highland this Friday).

• Prep Fan Cedar City, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 8:37 a.m.

Ask Hurricane fans if Cedar has a shot. They will tell you yes. Hurricane is a great team but we play them tight. Our first game was good down to the end. I really admire what Coach Homer has done with the Tigers. Year in and year out to be in the battle. If Cedar does not win I am definateley in Hurricanes corner. I got emotional when they lost the title last year. If not us I hope it is them. I know Cedar has an outside chance only but We will hang with anyone.

• Prep Fan Cedar City, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 8:41 a.m.

Another team that deserves a lot of respect is Delta. SMallest team in 3A. BUt a lot of heart and discipline. Cedar will have to play without mistakes to beat them. But Ursua is a beast and if we have no mistakes I think we win. Our special teams are suspect.

• CiderMan OGDEN, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 9:07 a.m.

Fremont by 10
    Syracuse by 3
    Jordan by 24
    Northridge by 3 (Emotional Pick)

The odds were 2000+ against Syracuse and they won, the odds are 300+ against Northridge. It would be quite an upset.

Good luck to all the teams! Have FUN...

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 9:28 a.m.

HIGHLAND RAM, if I were a Highland fan (which I don't consider myself, although I've followed them very closely this year), I would hope the same team from the LP game is gone. I hope the same desire on offense shows up, but if the same team shows up, all that will happen is that they will let the best quarterback in 4A pick them apart and run all over them instead of the best QB in 5A. It will take a greater defensive showing to beat Logan than the offensive fireworks we saw against LP.

I played against a similar (although I believe more talented) Logan team in the playoffs six years ago with a QB we all know also by the name of Nelson. We were in the game and even led for much of the first half because we intercepted Nelson twice and dominated the line of scrimmage. Our halftime adjustments were made mostly for offense and our defense lost it for us in the second half.

If Highland plays even as good of defense as they did against East, they should be in this one close enough for a chance to win.

• Fremontkid OGDEN, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 9:50 a.m.

Let the Games Begin! The game of the week will be at Fremont this week when w host Bingham for the Rematch of the Year!!! I can't wait to see this game unfold and I wish the best of luck for both teams! I will be there cheering on my team until my throat gets sore! Silver Wolf Nation! signed ???

• Jxc#1 OGDEN, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 10:03 a.m.

so..... im confused... why everyone hates on region 1 when 3 out of the 4 region 1 teams are left... and i know the SLC people are just gonna call it luck but the results don't lie. Region 1 = solid.

• LAsorda Hurricane, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 10:05 a.m.

3A picks
    Juan Diego 31 Spanish 14
    Hurricane 49 Grantsville 10
    Cedar 28 Delta 27
    Stansbury 24 Desert Hills 21

• fbfan SLC, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 10:28 a.m.

@Jxc#1
    They don't give up north teams any hope because they don't want to admit north teams play real solid ball. They also don't want to admit that the 3 remaining region 1 teams are for real and could easily demolish all the down south teams this week. I say the big I don't know will be NR vs LP. NR is playing amazing on "O" but there "D" is the problem. NR can out score any team hands down but they struggle to stop teams. If LP has a couple of "O" stalls then I say NR gets it. This game will be a high scoring match, much like the 49-35 NR Cottonwood game. Fremont is solid on every aspect. Syracuse has an abusive "D" but can't put a lot of points up.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 10:30 a.m.

Region 1 was very solid and luck played no part in their wins, Syracuse had the best D line Alta's faced all year and played good enough to pull it out. Poor game planning by the Alta OC didn't help and the Hawks were way too confident going in, but Syracuse didn't get lucky, they took it to Alta all game long. Engstrom barely touched the ball early in the game even before he was hurt, still can't figure that one out, and they waited to long to bring in the soph qb, he was the only one who moved the offense all game long. Congrats to Syracuse, good luck this week against West.

• TheRidge Layton, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 10:44 a.m.

Jxc#1 I agree completely! Region 1 against what is supposedly the toughest region top to bottom with Alta, Jordan, Cottonwood, and Brighton, went 3-1. My picks this week are:
    Bingham over Fremont in a close low scoring game (14-10)
    Syracuse over West, Syracuse can chew up clock on long drives and their Defense is so tough especially with Dimick (17-3)
    Jordan rolls over Viewmont (35-14)
    I really think the Lone Peak vs Northridge game will be a great game. It will be a high scoring battle because you know Chase Hansen is going to find the endzone but I believe the 3 headed monster in Casteel, Adams, and Schlicte will get theirs as well. Ridge wins 56-49 in OT

• hsfootballfan SLC, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 10:53 a.m.

56 points on LP? Let's be realistic

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 31, 2011 11:18 a.m.

Even thought the weather is going to be crummy this will be a great week of playoffs!! All the teams that survived the 1st round deserve to be there, please just quit acting like everyone is against region 1. If that region is sooo good then get to the finals and prove it.

Fremont has their hands full with Bingham, the Miners will come through 24-10,'

And c'mon with the NRidge comments. Putting up over 50 on LP. They have not played any team with a QB like Hansen. LP would lose to Olympus or M Crest. that's right they beat M Crest by 21, let's keep things real.

LP 41-14

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 31, 2011 11:19 a.m.

Sorry that should read LP would "not" lose.....

• JohnsonR bluffdale, Utah
    Oct. 31, 2011 11:31 a.m.

Lone Peak has an OK defense, looking at the numbers. I think the weather will hurt LPs passing game and bring their offence down to excellent from best offense in the state including all the colleges level it was at. That being said LP 34 Northridge 14

• papi_chulo Ogden, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 11:35 a.m.

@jarka-rus
    please just quit acting like everyone is against region 1.

Where have you been the entire season? Almost all of the comments from people in SL or UT county have said they have no respect for Region 1 etc. and that they haven't played any "real" teams this year and they will all lose in the first round. If you don't believe me go back and read the comments on stories posted two weeks ago. I have personally read these comments with my own eyes from people from LP and Bingham and Alta and others, but mainly these three.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 31, 2011 11:57 a.m.

Papi

Well I am sure that is true, but now the playoffs get down and dirty, hopefully rational comments can come out but when comments like that of NRidge posting gaudy numbers on LP pop up, that may be the reason for the disparaging comments about region 1. And if I have put down Fremont I apologize but just like Fremont fans vehemently defending their team I will do the same for the Miners. I love this time of year!!

• QuietObservation WASHINGTON, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 12:06 p.m.

Very real opportunity to have 3 of the 4 3A semifinalist come from region 9...pretty awesome.

• Jxc#1 OGDEN, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 12:35 p.m.

here is my non region 1 biased opinion. i think that NorthRidge could pull off an upset against lone peak... it would need to have some really solid "D" though so i think that is a stretch. like i said it could happen but i don't think it will. I think Syracuse will come out with the win although it doesn't matter because i don't think either West or Syracuse has the team to make it past the semis. The Fremont vs Bingham game will be a good game. But there will be bad weather so passing won't be easy. And Fremont is NOT an easy team to run the ball against as they proved against Bingham last year holding Harvi to less than 50yds. I think it will be close but i think fremont will pull away with the win on this one. I know the players will be fired up to beat Bingham. I think all 3 of those games will be good (unless LP plays its game then i think they will blow N.R. out.) that being said.. anything can happen so I'm excited to see what unfolds this weekend.

• Truesilverwolf OGDEN, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 12:39 p.m.

What I find that's hilarious is that last year it was Cottonwood who dominated through the regular season before giving up 62 points to Jordan in the quarter-finals. This time it was Alta letting the 4th place team for Region 1 beat them on their home turf! My picks:
    Fremont by 7 (We don't kick field goals)
    Syracuse by 3
    Jordan by 20+
    Lone Peak by 14
    So I guess Lone Peak might get a second chance at Fremont. If it makes it past Jordan of course! Go Wolves!

• CiderMan OGDEN, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 12:50 p.m.

Strong opinions are what makes the comment boards interesting as long as we don't put down our athletes, schools or each other. Some posters are all emotional and that is okay, and then there are the players dad's -like me. We all want to win especially me, I mean my team. My boy laughs at me and shakes his head as I pull out my spreadsheet and write suggestions to the coach for him to take to practice. I found more than a few waded up on the floor. What the heck, playoff football doesn't get any better than when I watch my son on the field!

Go Fremont!!!

• Truesilverwolf OGDEN, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 12:50 p.m.

Jxc#1, you're dead on about Fremont's run defense. Funny fact by the way, Fremont gave up less rushing yards to Harvey Langi than BYU did!

• KG South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 12:52 p.m.

There is a lot of talking about the Cedar-Hurricane-DH teams being heads and shoulders better. I think there will be some rude awakening going on this weekend.

• Fremontkid OGDEN, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 12:53 p.m.

I think that this will be a great game against Bingham. Terrible weather will just make it that much for of a blood bath. I think that this Fremont Defense will keep Bingham offense under control. I think that if we get our Offense going from the start then we will win, no question about it! Prediction 21-15 Fremont with the win. I wish both sides good luck and let the game begin! See ya at 3:30!

• dafishon Layton, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 12:55 p.m.

Games getting better and better. I was concerned about Logan/Herriman because of all the hype but Grizzlies just did the same thing they have done all year. They must be a nightmare to prep defenses for. Now, all we are hearing about is how Highland will beat them because they are healthy. Anything can happen but look for Logan to score a lot of points. The offense Favero puts out is just that good. If Highland is going to have a chance they will have to score 30+ points and get a couple of turnovers. Offense in Logan has always been pretty consistent. When they win championships it usually means that the defense is playing on a par with the offense. They are big, fast and mean up front. Wildman is just a junior but he is a beast. I look for Highland to hang with them for 2 or 3 quarters but in the end, Logan will run away with it.

• THUNDER_BOY_0 EAGLE MOUNTAIN, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 1:19 p.m.

How come no one shows westlake Love???

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 31, 2011 1:25 p.m.

Jxc#1

This will be a good game, I can't wait. Also Bingham is NOT an easy team to run on, they also held Vigil last year to 47 yards. So it may be close and it may not I can't tell but don't underestimate #24 Palepoi, you think one guy is going to bring him down you are wrong. In that regard he is a tougher runner than Langi was. Bingham must establish a good passing game too in order to lighten the load on him though.

• JohnsonR bluffdale, Utah
    Oct. 31, 2011 1:39 p.m.

I really think that late friday afternoon all the Region 1 teams will be done for the year.

• wolfalum Plain City, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 1:48 p.m.

My 5A picks.

Fremont 13 Bingam 12. ( I think this game is going to be a defensive struggle) Truesilverwolf is right we don't kick field goals...Binghams coaches will have them ready to play, so in order for the upset ( I say upset because until proven otherwise Bingham is the State Champs) Fremont will have to bring it and be ready to earn it because Bingham does not give games away.

Viewmont 14 Jordan 35.
    Northridge 21 LonePeak 22.
    West 7 Syracuse 10.

Three out of the four games could go either way ( Sorry Viewmont, but I think your a little out matched offensively). I predict low scoring affairs due to the weather forecast. (high of 40 degress and rain/snow mix).

Good luck to all the teams!

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 31, 2011 1:55 p.m.

Thunder boy

Don't know jack about west lake but hey its the playoffs and I'll spread some love! Although I can't pick em against the T-birds cuz Coach Van Orden is a stud.

• Nebsy Ephraim, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 2:04 p.m.

What's your pick? Which match-up would you most want to be at?

I'd go for San Juan vs Millard. And I'll place my money on Millard.

• RobertC bluffdale, Utah
    Oct. 31, 2011 2:07 p.m.

Bingham has not had a passing game all year. They are 80/20 run.

Why would they need to establish a passing game all of a sudden when no one has stopped their running all year? (Not even LP 279YDS 24 pts)

Again, History will repeat it's self. Freemont has played no one even close to Binghams quality and athleticism, no one has stop Binghams running game and Binghams defense is simple put, wicked good. Unless you have Chase Hansen and can drop 40 pts On Bingham you have no chance... You have no chance.

• KG South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 2:07 p.m.

I would also agree that JD's region needs some work in the coaching department. One quality team out of the whole region is ridiculous. And two teams going winless (aside from the head to head game) is pathetic. To me, the biggest surprise of the year is how that region went from the most competitive in recent years to the worst league in 3A. PC, Wasatch, Uintah, Union: I am talking to you!

Granted, there are some circumstances beyond coaches control. But there are also some major issues at some of these schools.

• fbfan SLC, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 2:11 p.m.

@JohnsonR
    You can not be serious! Theres no way Region 1 goes 0fer on Friday. Fremont game will be great with Fremont winning by 7.
    Syracuse wins by 3
    NR is the toss up. NR has a chance, not a good one, but a realistic chance. I wouldn't bet a candy bar on it, but its going to be a good game. And yes, 50+ on LP is a real #. I'd say more like 35 to 24. NR "O" is a big play "O" and now there in full stride and hard to stop. Just FYI, many starters sat for those non region games that were losses. Odds are there will be a lot of crow eating going on, but not yet.

• trbfan HURRICANE, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 2:12 p.m.

@KG

Nobody is saying the southern 3A schools are "heads and shoulders" above the rest of 3A, with the exception of Hurricane. The boldest prediction I read was DH beating Stansbury by 2 TD's, which I don't believe will happen. Stansbury is too big and fast. But it is not too unlikely that 3 of the final 4 teams are from Region 9. My predictions:

Hurricane calls off the dogs mid 3rd quarter and wins 42-14.

Cedar and Delta have a ground war in possibly sloppy weather where Ursua leads his team to a narrow victory 21-14.

JD rolls an SF team that I believe is not as good as their previous R9 opponent, Dixie. 35-7

And it's a close call but I pick Stansbury over a DH team that might not have all their studs at %100. 35-27

• Moog Wasatch/Heber, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 2:15 p.m.

Bingham is coming into the Freemont game with 4 shutouts in a row. Nuff said!

• papi_chulo Ogden, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 2:17 p.m.

@JohnsonR

Don't bet on it. Syracuse will beat West. Fremont-Bingham game will be a close one. And Northridge-Lone Peak could be a good game as well if Northridge can force some turnovers defensively.

• tigerfan HURRICANE, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 2:37 p.m.

@KG
    I haven't seen anything about "heads and shoulders above the rest," in fact I think most of the predictions have been very close between DH and Stansbury and Delta and Cedar. When you talk about depth in a Region though you cannot compare any of the other regions to Region 9. Every Region 9 team (except CV) would place no lower than 3rd in any other Region. The sun, moon and stars had to align for PV to not make the playoffs but if they played to their potential they would be giving Hurr and JD a run for the money.

• hsfootballfan SLC, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 2:43 p.m.

So N-ridge averages 30 a game but against the best team in the state they can drop 50+? For some reason it's not adding up

• xxyyzz1100 SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 2:50 p.m.

@papi_chulo you have the worst predictions. You predicted every team in Region 2 would be eliminated in the first round. There sits Viemont and West the eye sore on your bracket. Keep those wonderful predictions up. I hope you're wrong about Viemont and West this week too.

• KG South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 2:50 p.m.

No one used the words "head and shoulders above," but the insinuation is there. Not just in this thread, but other threads as well. I agree that Region 9 is the deepest region, but then again, they ought to be, having 3 teams coming back down from 4A. There is a chance of 3/4 teams in the semis being from Region 9. But, I don't think it will happen.

That said, I think Hurricane walks through this year, but JD will not be as much of a pushover as previously thought. I expect a decent game between SF and JD.

• hsfootballfan SLC, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 2:57 p.m.

N-Ridge has played 4 teams that I would say have good defenses. Olympus, Fremont, Davis, and Syracuse. In those 4 games, they scored 14, 14, 21, and 28 respectively. They put up 49 on Cottonwood yes, however, C-wood had 6 games previous to that one where they gave up at least 32 points. LP's defense gives up an average of 14.8 a game. Take into account a lot of those points are scored after LP takes their starters out. I just don't see how anyone being realistic can say they could put up 50+.

• papi_chulo Ogden, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 3:29 p.m.

@xxyyzz1100

At least I am a papi_chulo and not a xxyyzz1100. West and Viewmont will both be gone this week with 3 Region 1 teams left. :) Have fun watching from home.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 31, 2011 3:44 p.m.

hsfootballfan

Maybe they score more when its raining and snowing.

Nridge will NOT score over 40 against LP, but if their fans want to believe that let them.

• podunk utah DRAPER, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 3:47 p.m.

KG

don't be surprised when JD smokes Spanish Fork and then beats Hurricane.

If you think JD is a 'pushover' you are dead wrong.

I do like Bingham to go deep..if the weather gets sloppy some pass happy teams could find trouble

• satch Highland, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 3:58 p.m.

I am surprised by some of these predictions.

Bingham has tradition and a solid program. Bingham wins
    Jordan and Viewmont is a strange match-up, but if Jordan has their offense going sorry Viewmont, Jordan wins
    West and Syracuse, Syracuse wins
    Lone Peak and Northridge. LP's defense has come on strong when their opponent is good. Just ask Bingham (who I think could still win this whole thing). LP wins in a comfortable win.

next week
    Bingham vs. Jordan
    LP vs. Syracuse

That being said. Region 1 is always better than anyone gives them credit. I just don't see Fremont beating Bingham. LP has Chase Hansen- scary good.

• ADIDAS Tooele County, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 4:21 p.m.

I love how the teams come on here and talk, talk, talk. I don't see the point because there's only going to be one championship team from each classification. Let the players showing the talking on the field and parents show their talk by cheering on their team. I hope a region 9 team doesn't win because of all their talk on here.

• fbfan SLC, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 4:32 p.m.

@ADIDAS
    Boooo! Thats what a forum is for. You talk about your favorites, Give a lot of misguided opinions, give your predictions. If we knew exactly who was going to win it all we would all be Wendover bound. This is a forum, if you don't like talk this is the wrong place to be. Since your here, sit back and enjoy the talk. Heres some misguided opinions, Region 1 sweeps this Friday. HA!

• ViperGuy Farside of The Moon, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 4:42 p.m.

Fremont's only weak spots are an occasional "soft" coverage at corner, and getting lost in the playbook by the O-Coordinator and poor Red-Zone play calling by you know who. The soft coverage use to be chronic but it has been on the up tick in the last many games. Getting lost in the playbook occurred during 2 series vs. Brighton and resulted in missed scores, Red-Zone play selection seems to involve a Quija Board at times and is frustrating.

Silver Wolves strengths, an irrepressible defensive line.....razor sharp linebackers......and a very capable secondary albeit the above mentioned issue.

Preator proved to be highly elusive to the Brighton D, which enhanced Vigil's carries as he was not keyed on exclusively which made for better carries. And sharp eyes did not miss Hollingsworth punching in as FB and scoring up the middle vs. a stout goal line D. My money is on Fremont, my money is on increased offensive utilization of Hollingsworth.

"Offense sells tickets; Defense wins championships". Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant Jr

• LP Fan! Alpine, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 4:50 p.m.

NR has no D and they are playing the highest scoreing team in 5A... good luck NR ur gunna need it

• Whiteshoes Hurricane, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 4:53 p.m.

Juan Diego is tough! They don't turn the ball over and they generally capitalize on the turnovers that their defense causes. Dixie had an explosive offense...but 6-8 turnovers?!?! No one can win ballgames with that kind of sloppy play. After one quarter, it was scoreless...and then the wheels fell off and Dixie never recovered.

Hurricane respects JD, their coaches, and their program. The two teams have been virtually even the past few years but Juan Diego ended up with the ball last in each game and found ways to win. Hopefully, both teams win and (for our sakes) we get a different result.

• ADIDAS Tooele County, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 4:58 p.m.

@ FBfan

I have no problem with talk about their favorites and predictions, I've done the same. Region 9 has been on here from since the season started talking how they are the best. I don't see Juan Diego talk about being 3X state champs? Region 9 needs to win before they bring all the talk is what I'm saying. Just like region 1, they need to win something first.

• gridironfan2011 Logan, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 5:00 p.m.

I will dispense with this neuvo-football "North-South" rivalry that has grown a life of its own re: Region 1 and the SLC Valley. Respect is earned on the field. I will take Northridge as the "most likely" to play spoiler this week. I'm not predicting LP's demise I'm just saying the matchup could be closer then anyone thinks. It is hard to not get on the Fremont bandwagon as they have some remarkable magic going on this season.

After the win over Brighton I saw virtually no celebrating as these kids were instantly focused like a laser on Bingham. Not even dry from their showers and the hate was in their hearts for the next battle, incredible!

Best of luck to all the young athletes and the under paid Coaches. Thanks for a great 2011 season so far.

• burger_fries_football Burger Barn, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 5:06 p.m.

As the preferred provider of beef to athlete bellies in this region we salute the Fremont Silver Wolves for making the Quarters as expected. This team is truly unique with their tremendous athletic ability and superior performance in the classroom. The Wolves are a great example to the junior high kids around these parts. And as an occasional traveler it is so nice to have Deseret News provide such a superior platform for getting updated scores, news and the feeds! Thx

• just fyi American Fork, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 5:10 p.m.

Lone Peak has gone 11-0 this season. Every one of those wins has been by double digits. And even if its a little nasty outside, LP showed their run offence this week against hunter. In just 5 carries Talon Shumway, a player who could be argued as one of the top running backs in the state, went for 126 yards. Look for him and Chase to run the ball this week and put up BIG numbers. LP-48 Northridge-7

• hsportsfn St. George, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 5:14 p.m.

@Adidas Let's get some assumptions out of the way. "Teams" do not get on here and talk it up. Fans get on here and talk it up. And if fans get on and talk there is nothing a team can do. Too many people get on here and act as if this is THE source for sports on the web. It is not. It is a forum in which you can express your feelings. I could make a general statement and say if your team had a decent season you might have been on here from the beginning of the season talking about your team. Sit back and take all these comments with a grain of salt and you might even enjoy them.

• watchfuleye Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 5:15 p.m.

• tigerfan HURRICANE, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 5:16 p.m.

@Adidas
    If you saw me sitting in the booth next to you at a resturant with my "H" hat on you would not resist picking my brain and would want to hear my opinion about Region 9 and I would do the same to you about Region 11. I don't see a difference in having this forum to do that same thing.

• apexhunter Dick\'s Sporting Goods, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 5:19 p.m.

@viperguy, you nailed it! Fremont's Defense has been anchored all year by Hollingsworth @Def Tackle, but the kids has got to be "The Bus" Jerome Bettis reincarnated! I cannot believe his production when on offense! Regular season it made ok sense to leave #31 on defense to conserve oxygen, but this is the playoffs Fremont we want more of "The Bus".

Just read in the recruiting blogs that Arizona, Washington, Stanford, Utah State and Colorado are all drooling over this Fremont multi use swiss army knife of a player #31. Go Wolves!!

• Jo Momma CEDAR CITY, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 5:40 p.m.

Adidas,
    The only thing I have seen on here is Juan Diego bragging about 3. The first of the season it was all Pine View on here. If you don't think your team is going to win you should pick another sport. I think Cedar is going to win it all. Why am I a jerk to say that? I think Cedar is the best team in the world. Am I a jerk for that? My mom cooks better than yours too. I think I am a good son for that one.

• MondayMorningQB Plain City, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 6:08 p.m.

@watchfuleye

"The fremont people keep talking about their defense and how they held Langi to under 50 yards. Let me know how many yards Cantwell had and ask your linebacker how hard was it to stop him and I will give you some credit."

Question....who is Cantwell?

• papi_chulo Ogden, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 6:25 p.m.

Thank you MondayMorningQB. I like your comment!

• THUNDER_BOY_0 EAGLE MOUNTAIN, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 7:05 p.m.

What do you guys think about Westlake?

• hsfootballfan SLC, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 7:10 p.m.

Cantwell is the QB who destroyed Fremont in the state championship. I don't know if you remember?

• Northridgefan5 OGDEN, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 7:50 p.m.

@hsfootballfan I must need some education here. Please tell me who LP played that had stellar defense. I see a NR team that puts up a lot of points and has played some of the top ranked defenses in the state. Both Lp and NR played Davis. The two scores LP 21- Davis 10 and NR 21- Davis 14. The LP Bingham game would have been very different if the Bingham running back doesn't get a concussion. Bingham would have been better able to manage the clock and keep the ball out of Hansen's hands. Comparisons- Both QB's LP and NR have similar stats, NR has a 1,000 yard plus running back, LP relies on Hansen to run. Let's not forget NR has multiple receivers that get open and can catch the ball so does LP. Big key LP has a lot of eggs in one basket albeit a real deal basket. I'm not going to say this is a NR win, but just because LP is undefeated doesn't mean this one is in the bag. You gotta love the competition.

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Oct. 31, 2011 8:41 p.m.

KG- Your comment is like the one from Ummm that I asked him to clarify earlier. When you make vague comments like "there are some issues at some of these schools" makes me think either you don't want to tell them or more likely you don't know what they are, but you want to generalize and throw all the teams that got beat out early under the same bus. I'm open minded and would love to hear your reasoning that all the teams save JD, need new coaching staffs. Jeez, Wasatch's coach is first year, PC is two years, not sure of Union and Uintah. So what are these issues and at what schools in particular?

• just fyi American Fork, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 8:51 p.m.

@Northridgefan
    These are the production numbers for the whole season by both teams
    Northridge points scored 331 allowed 260
    LP points scored 448 allowed 163

According to these numbers Lone Peak's offense has been more productive, and defense has been more destructive.
    And don't say Northridge's schedule has been more difficult, because it has not been. Northridge has lost to 3 teams, Olympus, Mountain Crest, and Fremont. Fremonts' loss can be justified, but the other two should have been W's. And those losses dont appear to be very close.

• TO'A59676 Sandy, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 9:03 p.m.

Happy Halloween, and the 2nd round is here probably gonna be a cold wet one this Friday. Good Luck to Westlake " Go For Broke! " TV is very familiar to the Thunder if, there's gonna be a spoiler Friday this may be it. If, there are any programs playing this week that know each other it's these two teams. I haven't seen any of the TV people in here didn't want to search the other 90 something blogs but, I'm pretty sure they're here because they always are, the field will be and should be better this time around. Let's remind those that were there the first time this year WHS came in without a QB and held TV to a really close one till after HT. This will be like a rivalry game with playoff ramifications, come on WHS if, there's gonna be a game to be close to perfect this will have to be it. Cut the penalties the stupid ones, play for each other and let it fly and I'll pick Westlake. TV slow starts all year, then get's rolling 3rd and 4th QRT.s but this one's the One and Done.... Get Er Done THUNDER Good Luck

• TO'A59676 Sandy, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 9:11 p.m.

Go Redmen, I see that Delta drew you for the 2nd round, Ursua's familiar with the Rabbits they were his first victory 2010 season with Westlake last year. I'm not sure what Delta brings to the table this year but, I know what Ursua can bring and will bring for the Redmen. My money if, I was a betting man is on John and company... Good Luck Friday to both teams dress warm and let it all hang out.

• Northridgefan5 OGDEN, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 9:56 p.m.

@ just fyi still doesn't answer my question. who are the stellar defenses that LP has played? NR vs. MTCrest JV played most of the game, Oly was early and NR had a lot of injuries, and you said it about Fremont justified, but a healthy NR would have stood a better chance. Bottom line, I would rather have NR playing LP than Fremont.

• KG South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 10:42 p.m.

Oh, and about JD being a pushover... I must not have been clear in my previous post. I didn't intent to imply that JD is/was/would be a pushover. I just think that a lot of Tiger fans think that they will easily dispatch JD as if it were a pushover. I don't think it will be quite as easy as some think; in fact, I think JD is the team to beat, as they have proven to be clutch over since their inception.

• Northridgefan5 OGDEN, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 10:52 p.m.

@ Thunder Boy don't get your hopes up. Wong and VanOrden have a team that wasn't supposed to be very tough this year and look what they have done with that team. My advice put your money on TV. Sorry, but it's the truth. I do love the quickness that QB has for the Thunder. He is freaky quick and has break away speed. It just won't be enough. Timpview will likely roll.

• Jo Momma CEDAR CITY, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 12:08 a.m.

I know a lot of Hurricane fans and none of them think that JD is going to be a pushover. I haven't seen that on the threads here either. You are just making stuff up. They would be a pushover for Cedar though.

• HIGHLAND RAM Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 12:54 a.m.

GO RAMS, if you can put 41 points against a talented LP team, you can take care of Logan

• Knightfever Ogden, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 6:51 a.m.

Northridge5,
    As a fellow Knight, I agree that we'll give LP a better game than most people think. We just have to shorten the game with sustained drives that we're capable of and limit Hansen's chances to have the ball in his hands. If we do that and keep it close to the 4th, it can be anyone's game.

I totally disagree with you on TV and Westlake. The QB was a freakish athlete and we did not expect that from him because it was his first game of the season with them. I have no doubt he's gotten better and with their defense, they can play with anyone. I said it before and I'll say it again, they have the best D-line we've played all year (that includes Syracuse and Fremont).

I was at that game and 21 of our points came off turnovers (they had 5 or 6). Unless they lost some players, Westlake is going to be a tough out for anyone. In saying that, I'd pick TV as well because of their experience, but they won't roll Westlake and you can bet on that.

• fbfan SLC, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 7:53 a.m.

@just fyi
    What your failing to remember is, its playoff time. Throw out the regular season schedule. (ie, Alta vs Syracuse) I know for a fact that for the first time all year NR is healthy and playing great ball. LP has been plying great all year with 1 of the best players in the state at the controls. At the end of the day, this has the potential to be an amazing game, or its a blow out. Late Friday knight we will all know the facts. I predict the Knights win! HaHa!

• CAN'T WAIT Cedar City, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 8:05 a.m.

Ursua is a game changer. He has the ability to take Cedar to the title. The Red's are playing their best football of the year. Cedar believes it can compete with anyone and when you have a player like Ursua it makes all that reality. No matter what happens.... Region 9 Will Represent

• juan val dez Kanab, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 8:21 a.m.

Cedar City does have a really good team and did put a scare on Hurricane and other teams should be worried about that. though i think Hurricane has learned from that game and will be alot better if they play each other again. and the Only problem i see with Cedar. Is that if you can stop Ursua you can stop their offense.

• true observer Cedar, Utah
    Nov. 1, 2011 10:01 a.m.

@ JoMamma, true supporters of Cedar will not talk trash and make comments like you did toward JD. We true supporters know we have a good team but we also know that every team left is a good team. With that being said we know the title goes through JD as they have earned that reputation the last three years. I hope that the team is not looking ahead of Delta because they are a great team and the only one that matters to us this week.

• Prep Fan Cedar City, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 10:26 a.m.

Amen True. JD is good, so is Delta. All teams left are good. Hope we can hang with them as far as possible. Hope Hurricane gets to beat JD this year.

• hursty1 La Verkin, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 10:34 a.m.

@KG...JD has beat Hurricane 3 years in a row, why in the world would Hurricane think they are going to easily dispatch JD...I don't know anyone who thinks that. Until JD loses they are still the big dog of 3A.

• BT1984 West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 12:33 p.m.

Bingham has not had a passing game all year. They are 80/20 run.
    Not even close, RobertC. Bingham's offense is much more balanced than you say.
    2,329 rushing yards, 25 touchdowns; 1,624 passing yards, 19 touchdowns.
    Rushing accounts for 58.9% of total yards and 56.8% of scoring, passing accounts for 41.1% of total yards and 43.2% of scoring.

Moog
    Bingham is coming into the Freemont game with 4 shutouts in a row. Nuff said!
    It's 3 shutouts in a row. AF scored 7 and Bingham's other shutout was Cottonwood in week 5.

I don't mean to belittle anyone, just pointing out the facts.

• Rabbit Talk Delta, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 12:39 p.m.

I've enjoyed the comments on this board. Its fun to see what people think about the upcoming games. Yes I am a Delta Fan, and yes I would love to see Delta in the finals, will it happen, chances are not good, but then at the beginning of this season I don't think anybody thought we would be 10-1 at this point either. Delta won a lot of games that they really had no business winning. Last week I saw something that totally eptomizes Delta football, I watched a 140 lb receiver take out two would be tacklers who's total weight was close to 500 lbs with one block. As he stood over the top of two bodies lying flat on their backs on the turf I thought that is what Delta football is. Does Delta have anybody fast enough to catch Ursua, not a chance. Is our team as athletic as Cedar, not even close. Are we as big as Cedar? We'll give up 30lbs a player. Will we compete? You can bet your life on it. We may not win, but these kids are winners all the way.

• BT1984 West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 12:46 p.m.

Question....who is Cantwell? How soon some (want to) forget.
    From the 2010 5A championship game info on this website: "Stefan Cantwell finished 13-for-25 with 226 yards and four touchdowns, leading Bingham past Fremont in the 5A title game. Brady Measom caught four passes for 77 yards and a pair of TDs, and Josh Smith had four receptions for 60 yards and a TD. The Silver Wolves committed 5 turnovers, and were held to 196 yards on the day."
    He's the Bingham quarterback who passed for 30 yards more than the total yards Bingham allowed Fremont on November 19, 2010.
    Does that answer your question sufficiently?

• papi_chulo Ogden, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 1:34 p.m.

Last year was last year. Get over it!! The past is the past. Leave it in the past, live in the present, and prepare for the future.

• AltaDad Draper, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 2:00 p.m.

Bummer being on the outside looking in. Syracuse punched our boys in the mouth and they never recovered.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Nov. 1, 2011 2:07 p.m.

papi_chulo

Fremont fans keep bringing up the "rematch" and the past, it obviously still stings to be dominated 30-7.

• Jo Momma CEDAR CITY, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 2:21 p.m.

@true observer,
    Nice soap box coach. I will also say whatever I want. Cedar is going to beat Delta, Desert Hills, and then Juan Diego for the championship. I will post it all I want. It has nothing to do with being a true fan.

• Jo Momma CEDAR CITY, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 2:25 p.m.

@hursty1
    Ok Chris.

• papi_chulo Ogden, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 2:38 p.m.

@AltaDad
    Do you think Alta overlooked them? What did you think of Syracuse? Were they any good or did they get lucky to beat you guys? I would just like an honest opinion about this if you don't mind. Thanks.

• true observer Cedar, Utah
    Nov. 1, 2011 2:49 p.m.

@ Rabbit talk, well said. Cedar knows you will compete and that is why we are not looking ahead. We know we have to play our best to have a chance to win. Cedar is not big by the way and in all actuality we are almost a mirror image of each other. We expect a very tough and competitive game on friday. True football fans should not miss this game as it will be one of the best this post season.

• tigerfan HURRICANE, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 3:04 p.m.

@true observer
    Take it easy. jomamma is obviously joking.
    @KG I agree with Jomamma. I have yet to see one Hurricane fan predicting anything but a great game between Hurricane and JD. I think you're trying to create some bull board material for JD.
    Is anyone exicted for Friday? These playoff weeks seem to drag on forever.

• Geeber South Jordan, utah
    Nov. 1, 2011 3:29 p.m.

I think Fremont vs Bingham is the game I will go to even with the drive. It should be a great game with Fremont @ home and with an axe to grind they could upset Bingham. Can't wait love the playoffs wish I could watch them all.

• TO'A59676 Sandy, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 4:08 p.m.

@ RABBIT TALK
    I will agree with you Rabbit talk, you guys have some tough kids down there I know from experience being on the side line last year with WHS. Tough corn fed kids a lot of wrestlers who know how to bring the wood. It will be a barn burner for both teams one thing though which I'd wished we'd done was what the Redmen are doing utilizing Ursua on D-fense. Of course I'm biased towards the team with Ursua but, I 'll wish both teams the best of luck and for the Seniors this is why you've grown up playing this sport there's nothing else like it on earth. Time is short for some this will be the end, for some another week to prepare for state. Good Luck Boys. To the Boys of Fall

• TO'A59676 Sandy, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 4:09 p.m.

@ RABBIT TALK

• 3A Football Fan Tooele, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 4:09 p.m.

@ Rabbit Talk

I enjoyed your comments and you are spot on about Delta, they are tough and gritty. I picture a bunch of wrestlers out there in football uniforms. But don't make this out to be a David vs. Goliath game. You will be surprised by Cedar's small size.

Cedar and Delta are very much alike. They are both small, gritty, tough, and both relish the underdog role. Year after Year Cedar plays the bigger St. George schools and takes pride in it. They always schedule 4A and 5A schools in the preseason. This year they had Am. Fork, Highland, and Skyline. Not too shabby.

It will be interesting to watch because both teams thrive on going against bigger opponents, yet this game both teams will be matched against another team of undersized kids with quickness and heart.

Both teams have X-factors. Cedar has Ursua and a tough schedule to help them prepare. Delta simply has an overall great 10-1 team and the home of the toughest place in the state for a visiting team to get a win.

Can't wait for this one.

• TO'A59676 Sandy, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 4:36 p.m.

To the Thunder, especially for the Seniors it's do or die time, play to be perfect and especially play for each other. The sun is getting ready to set on whatever is the outcome Friday. We know what the capabilities of each of you are, perfection is usually never obtained but when strived for, coming close is what the Coaching Staff is asking from you that's all. Good Luck to all of you and the Staff. Friday will be what a lot ( Players ) of you have been preparing for, practicing for, relish every moment of it. Look at the other players this week wether they're seniors or not this could be sweet or bitter, regardless we're proud of all of you. Watching from a distance has been hard, but seize the moment ,live it ,love it and remember it. GO THUNDER.... Leave it all out there Friday

• Small Town Utah Rural, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 7:34 p.m.

FYI...The Delta football team has many basketball players in key positions. C. Christensen, Hughes, Johnson boys, Shamo, D. Christensen, Edwards, to name a few. Don't give wrestling all the credit, but give it to the boys. Also, it has a lot to do with tradition. If you wrestle or play Delta in football, not to mention soccer, baseball and girls basketball volleyball you know you will have your hands full regardless of who you are. If you go there to play basketball, you expect to win. Same kids, different tradtion. For being the smallest 3-A school for many years now, they always have and always will bring it.

• 3A Football Fan Tooele, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 9:31 p.m.

@ Small Town Utah

Whoa, hey, there have been a lot of non-Delta-ites, including me, complimenting your team. I like Delta, but I guess you don't need it. You'll all handle it yourselves. Sheesh.

By the way, Delta has NOT been the "smallest 3-A school for many years now." (one of the smallest - yes). Before the realignment, Juab, Manti, and Emery, to name three, each had over 100 students less than Delta. Richfield also had less, and currently, Morgan has less, or at least within a handful of students.

• Small Town Utah Rural, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 10:01 p.m.

3-A Football Fan: I'm sorry that my comment didn't say what I meant. I really do appreciate all the compliments we receive from everyone, definitely including your post above. My point was to defend our basketball players. Many on here have said that we're a bunch of wrestlers playing football, which is also true. But many of our great players also play basketball. Tradition is the difference. Our wrestlers and football team are very respected because of tradition. Our basketball team is usually down for the same reason.
    As far as enrollment is concerned, I have my information and you have yours and it varies quite a bit, so we'll just leave it at that. We don't use small enrollment as an excuse, but rather, motivation.

• tigerfan HURRICANE, UT
    Nov. 2, 2011 8:50 a.m.

@small town utah
    Basketball at Delta? We know those players are the third string wrestlers who couldn't take state so they played basketball. Whether they are b-ball or wrestlers on the football field for Delta we know they could all take down any of the other teams players and pin them in two seconds.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Nov. 2, 2011 9:20 a.m.

papi_chulo, to answer your question I think that Alta did overlook Syracuse, but I also think Syracuse is a good football team who will be at Rice Eccles next weekend. They are great on defense.
    According to the players and coaches I've talked to the Alta head coach told the offense he expected 7 td's against Syracuse and all week the team prepared like they were playing Copper Hills or West Jordan again instead of a playoff team. I think the kids responded to how the head coach approached the game. They game planned to give the ball to #1 instead of to Engstrom and never took the Titans seriously. Next think you know they knock out Engstom, then knock out the qb, and it was too late to recover after that.
    Personally I think Region 1 is better than anyone is giving them credit for and I think the Fremont v Bingham game is a toss up and could go either way. I also think Fremont would give LP a good game, as would Syracuse.

• Truesilverwolf OGDEN, UT
    Nov. 2, 2011 9:45 a.m.

Fremont and Lone Peak would probably be the best state championship game out there. Last year after the Lone Peak-Fremont semifinal game, I was walking by the Lone Peak fan buses while the Bingham fans were walking into the stadium. Lone Peak was telling Bingham to kill Fremont. Strange enough since those two are region rivals. I guarantee the Lone Peak vs. Fremont game would be to kill for.

• thundernation saratoga springs, UT
    Nov. 2, 2011 9:53 a.m.

Plyxply,

Didn't you also predict that Westlake had NO chance of beating Mountain Crest in Hyrum? I'm guessing that's why you've commented so late.

• AltaDad Draper, UT
    Nov. 2, 2011 11:31 a.m.

Papa Chulo, I do think Alta overlooked Syracuse, but that is only part of it. Syracuse is a real good football team. I don't know what #59 name is, but he is a beast. The Syracuse defense took out 2 QB's and our best running back. It was a defensive battle, but Syracuse won. If they were to play again, I think we could beat them, but guess what, we don't get a 2nd chance. Props to Syracuse, I'm pulling for you guys!!

• BT1984 West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 2, 2011 12:10 p.m.

Ah, yes. Last year was last year when we remind Fremont fans that their team lost and who did it to them. But last year is very important when they want to claim how great Fremont's athletes were in 2010. That's the same sort of attitude that allows them to write comments on how badly Fremont will beat Bingham then accuse Bingham fans of arrogance for saying Bingham will win.
    Note to Fremont fans: When history supports a claim it has some validity. History shows that Fremont hasn't won a game against Bingham since 2004. Arrogance is making a claim that's supported only by your opinion.

Truesilverwolf, it's not so strange that Lone Peak wanted Bingham to beat Fremont last year. Bingham and Lone Peak were in different regions. Even if the two were in the same region Lone Peak wanting to see the team that just beat them lose isn't unusual.

You're looking forward to a championship game against Lone Peak already? Sounds like you're overlooking Bingham. But it's not arrogant when a Fremont fan overlooks an opponent, only when a Bingham fan supposedly does. Right?

• Hicktown, UT, USA DELTA, UT
    Nov. 2, 2011 1:43 p.m.

Go Rabbits!!!

• papi_chulo Ogden, UT
    Nov. 2, 2011 5:58 p.m.

@plyxply & @ AltaDad

Thank you for your honest responses. Alta has a great team and played well this year. Syracuse also has a great team and I look for them to be pumped for this weeks game at West.

I appreciate the comments that are civil on here as a lot of them have gotten out of hand. There will be some great games this Friday. I will be cheering on my Wolves as I know many will be rooting for the Miners and others rooting for their respective teams as well.

• amanap Washington, ut
    Nov. 3, 2011 1:46 p.m.

Doesn't it take 3 seconds to pin someone? just curious...

• tigerfan HURRICANE, UT
    Nov. 3, 2011 3:28 p.m.

@amanap
    You're thinking of WWF Wrestling. Oh yeah, There are two two-time state wrestling champs on Hurricane (Scott and Prince) that may be a problem for Delta if they meet up at any point.