Utah Utes football: Utes pick up first Pac-12 win by beating Oregon State

Comments

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Oct. 29, 2011 6:30 p.m.

Lookin' good boys. Keep u the great work.

Go Utes!

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Oct. 29, 2011 6:32 p.m.

24-0

At half.

Great job offense holding on to the ball.

When we don't turn it over, our defense dominates!!!

GO UTES!!

Oct. 29, 2011 6:37 p.m.

Great job so far Utah!! keep it up..

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 6:39 p.m.

Defense is great! Hopefully they can use the second half to get Hays more confidence.
    White is fantastic. Maybe give him a rest mid-way through the 3rd. Give Langi some experience.

• Jenny83 OGDEN, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 6:50 p.m.

White = Best football player in the state of Utah!

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Oct. 29, 2011 7:49 p.m.

I spoke too soon.

Great first half offense...horrible 2nd half.

Thank goodness we have a PAC-12 defense.

Go UTES!!

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Oct. 29, 2011 7:52 p.m.

I'm not sure I'd say the offense is "clicking" but this defense is a beast tonight....

• nosaerfoecioveht NSL, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 7:58 p.m.

"Oh FINALLY you guys have a Pac 12 win- took you long enough!"
    -A bunch of jealous haters trying to feel better about the awful season their own team is having.

Nice win Utes! Mr. White IV = best football player in the state.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Oct. 29, 2011 8:06 p.m.

The ship has righted itself - we can now focus on a national championship. I like the way we finished with 3 points in the second half.

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 8:20 p.m.

wow its hilarious to see aboslutely ZERO byu fans on the boards tonight... maybe cause their team got drilled last night and the utes won so they have absolutely nothin to say tonight. once again byu plays against a good team and is humbled back to irrelevantness.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Oct. 29, 2011 8:21 p.m.

-Monkey. Off. Back.

-Hays taking care of the ball + White establishing the run = wins against inferior opponents.

-A good omen: Oregon State beat both teams Utah will play on the road: Arizona and Washington State. Not predicting wins in those games necessarily, but I think the Utes have demonstrated they are not packing it in just yet. I like their chances to split the road games.

-A good omen: At home Utah gets UCLA, whereas the Bruins are much weaker on the road, and Colorado (1-8).

-Utah is at 4-4 and 2 wins away from bowl eligibilty. One has to like their chances against the Buffaloes. I personally like their match-up with UCLA to, the Briuns beating Cal none-the-less. So, yes, I do predict the Utes will be bowling.

-Apparently, what determines when one gets their "first PAC-12 victory," is how early you play the Beavers.

-I look for Christopher to be much stronger next week. They'll need him for sure as the offense will have to score more if they hope to beat Zona.

-Whereas last week's games were troll fodder, after this week we hear.....crickets.

Go Utes!

• Dave S Holladay, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 8:21 p.m.

Congrats Utes!!! Very nice win tonight!!

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 8:39 p.m.

Nice victory, Utes!! What a great game and atmosphere at RES tonight. It's so nice going to quality games each week now. What an unbelievable effort by White. Hopefully he can stay healthy the rest of the way, as I think our success at this point is going to ride largely on his shoulders.

Go Utes!!

• WHAT NOW? Saint George, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 8:45 p.m.

@sffl:

8:06 is a troll.

I thought Riley would lead his team to a win.

Wrong.

I thought the UTE offense would struggle against OSU.

Wrong, again.

Congrats UTES.

• Glfklee Santa Fe, NM
    Oct. 29, 2011 8:48 p.m.

Congratulations for your win today! Hope to see more wins from the Utes as the season begins to finish up.

From a BYU alum and a "Band of Brothers", Questing, "Magic Happens"(well, not quite) Cougar fan!

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 8:58 p.m.

As I would say to BYU last week, it's only Oregon State. Nothing to get too terribly excited about.

"Nice win Utes! Mr. White IV = best football player in the state."

Actually, Robert Turbin of USU.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 9:11 p.m.

@ Sportsfanforlife

Some of us outside RES actually have a life and while we say congratulations for the PAC 10.2 victory (finally, a win after -- count 'em -- 4 losses) we know it isn't the greatest accomplishment for you to defeat a team at home (we beat them on their field) since you were supposedly going to the Rose Bowl. Don't think because we aren't railing on you that we haven't forgotten how much better than everyone else you told us you were. I'm glad to see that you finally won qa game. Now, get a big head until it's confirmed that you aren't "bowl eligible." I wouldn't have mentioned that, except you brought up BYU--an obvious fixation on your part--who beat themselves; delete a couple bad errors in judgement and the game easily goes the other way. I'm not making excuses---TCU took advantage of their opportunities--but BYU hardly got "drilled." Don't ever lose your crimson-colored glasses so as not to diappoint us football fans, ok? Just thank your lucky stars Utah State wasn't on your schedule this year. UCLA, Arizona, WSU and Colorado still are so be careful. One measly PAC 12 victory--impressive---NOT!!

• maryland cougar Pikesville, MD
    Oct. 29, 2011 9:21 p.m.

hey congrats utes and to fellow y fans come get your crow don't be scared little kids be men and come get it

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 9:31 p.m.

Tom in CA = Troll.

Nice win. The recipe for this year is for the offense not to turn the ball over and score just enough points to win. Defense looks great when they don't have to stop drives after turnovers in their own territory.

• washcomom Beaverton, OR
    Oct. 29, 2011 9:40 p.m.

Poor Beavers! It's hard enough losing to one team from Utah, but two??

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 9:43 p.m.

BYU loses and Utah wins. What a great weekend.

• maryland cougar Pikesville, MD
    Oct. 29, 2011 9:46 p.m.

where are my fellow y fans why have you left me alone here I am about to eat my crow

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Oct. 29, 2011 9:47 p.m.

Classy post Tom in CA. Actually, Ute fans don't talk National Championships, that's a BYU core comptency along with slogans and t-shirts.

Who's on the schedule for BYU next week Tommy?

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Oct. 29, 2011 9:48 p.m.

@Tom in CA

What do you mean we? You are a Ute hater who needed OSU to win today more than winning yesterday.

Don't worry you'll be back to talking about a national championship next August.

Tom in CA | 11:35 a.m. Sept. 7, 2011
    Servite is a perennial powerhouse here in CA. I can see a continuous direct pipeline from this HS to BYU for years to come because of BYU's philosophy, mission, and the exposure they are now getting. This will really irk, and get under the skin of tun.

• XelaDave Salem, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 9:49 p.m.

Y fan here- next maybe you will get a PAC 12 road win this season like we have- nice win but in the big scheme watching Stanford and USC Utes have miles to go

• I Still Can't Say It Holladay, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 9:53 p.m.

First of all -- great job Utes! Keep it up!! With all the injuries and everything else, it's turning out to be a solid season all things considered. It's not like Utah plays Idaho State every week.

Second, I'm pleased to see that Chris Peterson's now writing for the D-News when he's not coaching Boise State.

• sneekee23 Herriman, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 9:55 p.m.

@toosmartforyou

It's kind of like all of us Ute fans waiting for BYU to beat someone with a record over .500, and don't forget we haven't forgot about the 54-10 drilling we layed on you your team Oh I forgot BYU beats their selves, or you didn't execute, or was it the officiating. We were only suppose to go to the Rose bowl. Your beloved cougars were going to win the NC, Oh and the Heisman trophy. Does that Qb even start for you guys any more.
    This is a Utah article not a BYU one so who is fixated on who? It's called jealousy. How's that Pac 12, I mean Big 10 invite treating you? What you haven't got one. I thought for sure that 1984 NC would come in handy 30 years later. But I guess not.

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 10:10 p.m.

@whatnow and notsosmart haha you byu fans never cease to amaze. you have a life yet youre still here commenting... how ironic is that?! yeah you 2 seem to be the real trolls. you beat them on their field but you also gave up 28 pts to this weak team. how bout you get a d 1 schedule next year then talk to me about being bowl eligible but until then focus on your little high school schedule cause its obvious byu cant beat a team with a .500 schedule or better. get a clue

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Oct. 29, 2011 10:10 p.m.

toosmartforyou | 9:11 p.m. Oct. 29, 2011
    Farmington, UT
    "I wouldn't have mentioned that, except you brought up BYU--an obvious fixation on your part--who beat themselves; delete a couple bad errors in judgement and the game easily goes the other way. I'm not making excuses---TCU took advantage of their opportunities--but BYU hardly got "drilled.""

Mind telling that to the Y trolls that think Arizona State "drilled" Utah? After all, in that game, Utah actually led---in the second half no less---yet back-to-back-to-back "errors in judgement" led to the game "going the other way." BYU never led that game, was down 14 less than 5 minutes into the game, fell behind by 18 at the half---25 in the third---and managed to scrap some points at the end to make it look reasonable.

"Don't ever lose your crimson-colored glasses so as not to diappoint us football fans, ok?"
    ---toosmartforyou

Right back at 'cha....

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 10:11 p.m.

@marylandcoug now you know y fans dont wanna come on here talkin all that trash and get thumped by tcu... a very weak team this year.

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 10:13 p.m.

@whatnow a sincere apology from me i misread your comment.

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 10:14 p.m.

@notsosmart erase all the mistakes in the world in that game and byu still has no chance so quit with all the erase the mistakes and you have no chance cause that is an excuse thats why you put not making any excuses after it LOL

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 10:17 p.m.

@xeladave thats funny that they have miles to go since they only lost to usc AT usc by a blocked field goal. y fans can never take a loss like a man.

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 10:20 p.m.

@notsosmart its funny you say "byu hardly got 'drilled'" but in reality they got hammered,crushed,absolutely worked. all you see is the score but in reality they got that last td in garbage time to make it a 10 pt game on a bogus PI call and before that it was an 18 pt game. so yeah im stickin to byu got drilled.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Oct. 29, 2011 10:33 p.m.

Congrats Utes. U should also beat Colorado easily. But which of the following can U win to get bowl eligible - UCLA, Arizona, or Washington State? Probably Arizona.

I'm still predicting a 6-6 seaon for U and a 9-3 season for the Y, just like I was in August.

I can't wait to watch U battle the 7-5 Wyoming Cowboys in the New Mexico Bowl. That will be epic.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Oct. 29, 2011 10:47 p.m.

CougFanTX,

Interesting how you're throwing the smack around while your team is in position to win the WAC and go the the Helicopter bowl. NOW THAT IS EPIC

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 10:56 p.m.

CougFaninTX, yes, epic. Just like UTEP. And is it gonna be SMU this year? Glad that trying to kick a team while they're down helps you feel better about your own bad team.

Oct. 29, 2011 11:04 p.m.

CougfaninTX

Hurricane High school would finish the season 9-3 with BYU's schedule...I can't wait to watch BYU get slaughtered by a mediocre SMU, Air Force, type of team in whatever bowl you guys are playing in, any team .500 and above is guaranteed to blow out byu. You better hope SJSU can win at least 6 games this season so BYU has a chance at playing them in a rematch...Although that wouldn't even be a for sure win.

• golfrUte SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 11:12 p.m.

@Cougfanintx

9-3 against your junior college schedule. Wow, truly something to be proud of.

54-10 drilling at LES. Enough said.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 11:15 p.m.

Utes needed that win bad. Glad to see them put it together.

Especially pleased to see the Utah fans get their arrogance back.

Utah fans just oozing class.

However, congrats to the athletes that put on the pads.

John White IV is a stud.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Oct. 29, 2011 11:18 p.m.

Some thoughts on our Y friends:
    CougfaninTx has some decent comments, though I don't often agree with his opinions. Aside from Colorado, I believe Utah's best chances to become bowl eligible would be against UCLA (home game) or Washington State. In the realm of mtch-ups, Nick Foles will create some definate problems for the Utes, and Arizona's defense is more giving to the pass.

====
    I'm putting out an APB for Swoop. Anyone seen him these days? After "signing off" post Sept 17th, he made a nice return with Ute-slams last week, but has been noticably absent from these boards. He probably still thinks BYU is supremely better team than Utah despite no wins against a team with a winning record, a 54-10 head-to-head defeat, a markedly easier schedule, and a single common opponent which was more lopsided in the Utes favor, location notwithstnding.

=====

Tom in CA | 7:47 p.m. Oct. 22, 2011
    Vallejo, CA
    "It's fun watching Pac 12 football. Will be fun watching Oregon State get the win next Saturday. What a great conference."

Hope you enjoyed the game:)

Oct. 29, 2011 11:19 p.m.

@Veritas

At least us Utah fans get our arrogance back against a DI school...BYU fans start talking smack after beating Idaho St 3 weeks in a row.

• Wolf Portland, OR
    Oct. 29, 2011 11:22 p.m.

The trash talk on here from a few BYU fans is so pathetically sad, I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they are all under the age of 16. Seriously XelaDave, you are now trying to suggest BYU is better than the Utes because your win over OSU was on the road? That's all you got? And CougFaninTX, do you really want to talk projected win-loss records with the schedule you have? Or talk about "epic" bowls when your bowl is already a confirmed bottom-of-the-barrel tilt? I thought people in Texas understood football.

Look, here is the reality: We both played the Beavers and we both beat them fairly easily. I guess if we really need to look to other evidence as to which team is better I guess we have no other option than to look at, hmmm, I don't know, how bout a head-to-head match up? I assume you remember how that turned out.

Niether team has much to brag about right now, but I can tell you that if the Utes lost to BYU by 44 this year, I would not be talking trash.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 11:24 p.m.

@ sportsfanforlife

My comment was in response to your invitation (or goading) of Y fans for not posting because we "were drilled by TCU" the night before. That's the only reason I bothered and I did congratulate U on the victory.

When the Y bobbled two long snaps on punts, missed a field goal, had two costly personal fouls, and was intercepted on a tipped ball in the endzone anyone with an ounce of intelligence could see a difference of 10 points could have easily been very different and that most of those errors were indeed self-imposed.

If #2 hadn't dropped the ball several times tonight, the first when U led 3 - 0, OSU would have been a different team, too. And no one did the poor job of pass catching but him.

I respectfully suggest you, my friend, are not objective at all and further, that you should take a course in grammar as yours could use improvement. I hope you have enjoyed making fun of my screen name--which also shows a tremendous lack of class, the likes of which I do not stoop. But continue to enjoy those crimson-colored glasses--you're points are bizarre and hilarious!

• golfrUte SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 11:27 p.m.

@ XelaDave

The Utes played tough against USC and Stanford is a Top 5 program this year. It's going to take some time to build the depth at the U to compete week in and week out in the PAC 12. That being said, as a fan I'll take the U's journey and conference affiliation over the Y's indy status all day long.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 11:28 p.m.

U 90, be nice to Tom and the Cougs. Their season is over with the remaining schedule they have and the fact that they have not 1 but 2 byes in November. That's right, while everyone else has their bye week before November, the Cougs have 2 weeks off since Holmoe couldn't find anyone to play them in November.

Sad really.

Oct. 29, 2011 11:31 p.m.

@Toosmartforyou

So if the OSU player hadn't dropped the ball the game would be different..Ok well, if Hays hadn't underthrown Christopher and Mattews on 2 potential touchdown s the score would have been 41-8 Utah. If Utah hadn't fumbled On their 20, then OSU wouldn't have gotten the ball to the goal line and fumbled which resulted in a safety. Thats 41-6...So Utah could have easily defeated OSU 41-6 tonight, if I want to be "objective" as you put it. HAHA!

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 11:33 p.m.

niners | 11:19 p.m. Oct. 29, 2011
    SAINT GEORGE, UT

@Veritas

At least us Utah fans get our arrogance back against a DI school...

===

That's nice.

Oct. 29, 2011 11:35 p.m.

@54-10

They have 2 byes in November? haha. You would think with that 1984 championship teams would be dying to play them wouldn't you? hahah

• nunya sacramento, ca
    Oct. 29, 2011 11:38 p.m.

heck, I was beginning to think that BYU was the only team in the state to win a game again'st the pac 10.2....I'll save the big trash talk until thursday or friday but for now, good win utes.

• Wolf Portland, OR
    Oct. 29, 2011 11:41 p.m.

@ Veritas

Arrogance? Have you read these boards in the last few weeks? I have not heard any Ute fan (with the possible exception of Chris B and maybe a few other similar juvenile posters) suggest Utah was anything other than a middle-tier PAC-12 team this year. I have seen lots of examples of Utah fans defending their program against suggestions from BYU fans that the Y is better than the U because the Y had a PAC-12 win before the Utes did. But in fairness, I think the Utes have the better end of that argument because the teams did play each other and as you well know, it wasn't even close.

If Utah fans are arrogant because they continue to believe that 54-10 is a fair reflection of the relative quality of each team, what are BYU fans who somehow think PAC-12 conference records (or worse, W-L records without accounting for SOS) are a better barometer than a head-to-head match up for determining which team is superior? Glass houses my friend, glass houses.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 11:51 p.m.

It was great to see my Utes get the win tonight. Great game, great atmosphere, and great weather.

Some spectacular plays on defense and John White IV was amazing.

The 3rd quarter showed how easily they can slip back into old habits. Keep working on it guys. Go Utes!!

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Oct. 30, 2011 12:03 a.m.

@notsosmart you really can sit there and call someone classless? lol look at your name and saying someone can take grammar lessons? on a comment board? really? lol yeah thats the most class ive seen all year. whats really bizzare is you and your other y fans thinkin you actually had a shot at winning that game now thats hilarious really. just cause you had a few mistakes on offense doesnt mean you were even close to winning the game. how bout the dropped pick 6 by the tcu defender forget about that one? you only made it a 10 pt game with a garbage time td go back actually WATCH the game instead of just lookin at the score buddy. and as far as the wearin the glasses yours are very blue my friend very blue. you think i care about grammar on a comment board that really made my night right there. your team gets crushed and you just have to find a way to take shots LOL commical.

Oct. 30, 2011 12:04 a.m.

I've got to admit, watching utah play quality opponents each week is awesome!! I am always excited for the next game. It is a feeling BYU fans have never had, and maybe never will...

• Kosta Fesenko Chicken McNuggetville, UT
    Oct. 30, 2011 12:47 a.m.

Lol!

Veritas Aequitas,

talking about smack about your rival being arrogant = sheer jealousy. go home little man.

• 86&90UTE Holladay, UT
    Oct. 30, 2011 1:15 a.m.

OK BYU fans, here is all you get... either head to head results with Utah or comparative scores against a common opponent (Oregon St.) Pick one... It doesn't matter. Overall record with your pathetic schedule is obviously meaningless. You can obviously beat the Idaho States of the college football world. Who couldn't? Montana St. (yes, that team Utah drilled) just obliterated ISU. Lone Peak High School would beat ISU, Idaho, New Mexico St., etc. Just realize, when BYU has had the opportunity to prove their status, they have..... crushed by mediocre Utah, losing to mediocre Texas, and losing to mediocre TCU. BYU has found it's proud place in Irrelevant Land!!!!

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 30, 2011 3:03 a.m.

Great win. 35 carries for White IV. Again, too many carries. I get it, White is the key to victory from an offensive standpoint. But if he goes down, then what? John Hays IV at RB. The thing tonight that got me was having White carry the ball 7 straight times with three minutes left. It was 24-8 at the time. The game was over. Put in Langi or somebody.

• hohum Saint George, UT
    Oct. 30, 2011 8:43 a.m.

Anybody checked the stats, U greeat defense held osu to 262 yards. Great job, oops, osu held the u to 267. Is osu a great defense or u a bad offense or both. I really don't think the defense of u was that good or osu offense that good to talk about a great d effort. If so it goes both ways, what was the y offense against osu?

Oct. 30, 2011 9:19 a.m.

Just looked up an interesting stat...
    Utah has 21 players in the NFL, BYU has 11 players in the NFL, USU has 5 players in the NFL.... Looks like most of the NFL talent from this state is coming from the U!

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Oct. 30, 2011 9:53 a.m.

I would agree theat White carried the ball too many times, particularly in that fourth quarter when the game was secured. I would have liked to see a bigger back in there to gain some confidence and show the future opponents that Utah is not a one trick pony on offence.

I'm happy for the win, but I do fear Arizona, despite their record. It's a match-up thing.

toosmartforyou has had some excellent posts in the past, and I commend him for being one of the few "regulars" on here to defend himself when some many, many of the others have disappeared. Still, enough with the spelling and grammar accusations, this ain't gonna be graded ya'll....

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Oct. 30, 2011 10:03 a.m.

You guys have to excuse Veritas, he's having a bad weekend. He's admitted to being obsessed with Utah's fanbase. That would explain his "class", "arrogance", and "spelling/grammar" smack.

When asked: Can someone please tell me why BYU fans are so happy that Utah can't compete in the PAC-12. Don't they have their own problems?

Veritas Aequitas | 10:24 a.m. Oct. 23, 2011

1. Because it's so funny?

2. Because it is fun to be right.

3. Because it's nice to see arrogance turned to humbleness.

4. Because it's crackin' me up to see Uteology obsess about BYU's 6-2 record and try to twist that to justify his own human existance.

5. Because I can attend a Ute game where the people who just show up to "party" stay home.

Oct. 30, 2011 10:15 a.m.

Here is an analogy for you byu fans...

BYU : Idaho State as Utah : BYU

Well BYU beat Idaho St by 53, Utah only beat BYU by 44, pretty close though right?

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 30, 2011 10:46 a.m.

Uteology | 10:03 a.m.
    Fort Worth, Texas

"You guys have to excuse Veritas, he's having a bad weekend. He's admitted to being obsessed with Utah's fanbase."

===

Great weekend.

Many things not even related to sports. But it was nice to see the U get their first PAC win.

When did I "admit" being obsessed with Utah's fanbase? You might assume that, but it not true. I have never "admitted" anything close, yet you continue to post things that are literally untrue.

I have always had a problem with the BYU hating fan that has no idea about sports or education, but I have attended many games at both schools over the past 50 years. I refuse to suspend critical thinking skills about many of the Utah fans.

===
    Kosta
    "go home little man."

Thanks for making my point about classless arrogance.

Interesting you combined the names of two 7'0" players for you posting name. Who has issues with being a little man?

Congrats again to the team. JW IV is a stud.

• hohum Saint George, UT

First Downs24 14
    Total Yards354283
    Passing215147
    Rushing139136
    Turnovers 3 0
    Possession31:3128:29

Does anyone doubt that the turnovers can win or loose ball games?

• hohum Saint George, UT

First Downs 24 14
    Total Yards 354 283
    Passing 215 147
    Rushing 139 136
    Turnovers 3 0
    Possession 31:31 28:29

Turnovers loose and win games??

• Cougars - Wise Older Brothers Anaheim, CA
    Oct. 30, 2011 1:42 p.m.

sportsfanforlife

"wow its hilarious to see aboslutely ZERO byu fans on the boards tonight..."

WOW your first PAC 12 win and it's still all about BYU.

Congratulations little brothers on your first PAC 12 in 5 tries, beating the same team at home that BYU beat over a month ago on the road.

Once a little brother, always a little brother.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Oct. 30, 2011 3:12 p.m.

Cougars - Wise Older Brothers | 1:42 p.m. Oct. 30, 2011

WOW your first PAC 12 win and it's still all about BYU.

-----------------

WOW your team has NOT "beat" (thank you USNGARY... see I can give props) anyone with a pulse since 2009 yet you still think you've earned the right to talk smack on a Ute article.

Oh wise OOOOOLD brother, time to accept the fact that "you've been passed over".

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Oct. 30, 2011 3:50 p.m.

Veritas,

You make some good points.

However, you seem to have a preference to calling out Utah fans over BYU fans, when it is apparent, at least on these Deseret News boards, that each side has copious amounts of arrogance. And forgive me, but some of your posts have definately had an arrogance about them as I am sure mine have as well.

For example:
    "Thanks to my efforts, Uteology has stopped asking fans to "site" sources, stopped claiming to "win" teams, and stopped referring to teams "loosing". Again Uteology, you're welcome."
    ---Veritas, above

I'm wondering if, by belittling a fanbase, you hope they will become more humble.

"With me, it's been all about the Ute fanbase. This will teach you kids how to win with class. It's part of maturing."

Perhaps leading by example would be more beneficial? That way we can become more humble and mature, like you?

Again, I'm calling out your partiality/objectivity. You seem to be irked by arrogance, whether deserved or undeserved, yet appear to give a pass at the vast quantities of BYU fans doing the same, particularly, if you will, during last season's basketball campaign. I only wonder why.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Oct. 30, 2011 4:15 p.m.

@MiP

Amen, brother MiP!!

Ignore Veritas. He pretends to be objective then uses a different username for personal attacks. From spelling/grammar to education level to class to arrogance.

Yet he still hasn't replied to why doesn't hold the BYU fanbase to the same standards. I have asked about the "Jombotron" issue or the Max Hall tirade or Lamb and Jorgenson's comments about Air Force. Yet nothing but his obsession with how Utes act in their own stadium.

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Oct. 30, 2011 5:31 p.m.

@wiseoldcluelessfan you've beat noone even close to relevant this year and yet you're still talkin smack on a UTE article after your team had its chance to prove its relevance when your team actually showed they are incapable of winning a game thats against even hald decent competition. need i go on?

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Oct. 30, 2011 6:48 p.m.

Congrats to a team that finally won a BIG one. Your first conference victory over a team BYU beat. There, does that make you feel better?

I'm sure it made several of you breath a sigh of relief seeing your team finally do something since Wynn got injured. Maybe it will happen again.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 30, 2011 7:35 p.m.

@Mip

Hey BYU fans, please be more classy.

(personally, I thought Utah fans were doing a fine job calling BYU fans out on every little issue...)

I hope that helps.

===

I stand by my comments to Uteology.

(or whatever username he is using today... Could be MiP for all I know, and then he is having a conversation with himself... Wouldn't be his first time).

===

@Uteology,

Many times I have said I could care less what college kids do. They are at an age where they will do dumb things whether a Jumbotron, a twitter, a story in the Chronicle.

It's what college kids do.

I also have no problem about what the athletes say or do. They do the work.

Seriously, I was hoping you would appreciate my efforts in helping you with using big words like "cite", "beat", and "lose".

===

Did I say that John White IV is a stud, a pleasure to watch?

• chicagoborn WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Oct. 30, 2011 8:05 p.m.

@Cougars Wise Older Brothers
    Do you not see the irony in posting how you aren't obsessed with the Utes on a Utah article? Oh by the way. BYU beat Oregon State 15 days ago. I don't know how many days make up a month in your book but it's actually between 28 and 31 depending on the month. Seems like you aren't very wise after all. Get your mid major junk out of here.

Oct. 30, 2011 8:26 p.m.

The funny thing is, Idaho,NMSU, and Hawaii will all give BYU a good game, in my opinion each one of these is a toss up. UCF is no better than any of these 3 teams and BYU should have lost that game if not for one bad play by UCF. I see BYU going 1-2 or 2-1 in their last 3 games... no way do they win all 3

Oct. 30, 2011 9:19 p.m.

Funny stat that I think the BYU fans that think they deserve to be in a bcs conference should keep in mind...

There are 2 solid teams consistently on BYU's schedule (Utah, TCU) You all wanna know BYU's record against these 2 teams the last 4 years? 1-7. That is pretty pathetic really, especially when you consider their one win came in overtime. Are you BYU fans sure you can compete with the big boys? because I think this stat says otherwise...

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Oct. 30, 2011 9:20 p.m.

@niners

Hawaii lost to San Jose State, so I think BYU goes 3-0. No way do they go 1-2... not even with Heaps. I had them 9-3 and I still think they'll do it.

Utah also has to win out. Next week at Arizona will be the toughest game. All we need is our offense to cut down the turnovers and let the defense win the games. I had us at 8-4 so I hopefully we can win out.

Go UTES!

Oct. 30, 2011 9:44 p.m.

@uteology

Football does not work that way...Just because BYU beat SJSU and SJSU beat Hawaii does not mean BYU will beat Hawaii. BYU should have lost to USU, have you seen how they have been doing lately? Idaho and NMSU are not as bad this year as they historically have been, they are just as good as USU. If we go by your logic Utah does not have a shot at UCLA since UCLA just whipped Cal. But I don't go by your logic so GO UTES! finish 9-4

Oct. 30, 2011 9:49 p.m.

@uteology

I just saw Idaho's record is 1-7, but they have been competing in every one of their games. they are not a patsy...in non-aq terms of the word

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Oct. 31, 2011 10:28 a.m.

@niners

You're just putting words in my mouth. I never said Hawaii doesn't have a shot at beating BYU. I said BYU has edge since they have the talent to beat a SJSU team, while Hawaii did not? Granted BYU played at home, but I still think BYU has a better defense so they should win. Will they? Maybe not.

Actually, I said the toughest game is Arizona not UCLA. But if Utah was playing at UCLA I would think UCLA would be the favorite. We should be able to handle UCLA @RES. Why? Becasue besides White we don't really have an offense. So I think the game @ Arizona is by no means a gimme.

Sorry but a 1-7 team, whose only win was against a D2 school, is a patsy.