2A playoffs: Manti advances to semifinals by beating Emery

Comments

• EJB BLANDING, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 8:13 a.m.

This was probably the game with the least questionable outcome. Why would Desseret News chose to cover the inevitable. No upsets, the four teams in the remaining games are the ones that paved their paths. Good luck to San Juan, they are still the team to beat and the team that Deseret News should be following.

• Ball Boy Payson, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 8:53 a.m.

What a difference a year and a change in classification makes!! Last year Manti was 5th in their region and lost to Juan Diego in the first round of the playoffs. This year they are first in their region and they are going to waltz to the championship game without even having to break a sweat! Manti also took region in 7 out of the 8 fall sports. Welcome back to 2A!

• H.S.sportsfan Ephraim, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 9:34 a.m.

RE: EJB, for your information, this article was written up by a sports writer from our local newspaper. Deseret News DID NOT bring anyone down from Salt Lake to cover the game. 2-A is not going to get the coverage in their hometowns like the other classifications because of the location of our small towns--it's too far for them to drive. We have a great writer in our area who stepped up and chose to report the game, which I'm sure someone could have done for your team as well. Thanks Bob!

• 88templar MARINETTE, WI
    Oct. 29, 2011 11:01 a.m.

Thanks to Bob Bahlmann for the quick story on the Templars. For those who don't think Manti can take down the mighty Broncos, don't forget that they beat one of the best in 3A, Delta (the Rabbits' only loss) in the preseason. I think I speak for everyone when I say we would be happy if any school could dethrone 2A's San Juan and 3A's Juan Diego. They are great FB programs, but their time at the top needs to end. Go Templars!

• EAGLES FAN FILLMORE, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 11:57 a.m.

Good job on your win last night Eagles. Lets come out ready to win next weekend. Both games next weekend should be good...

• SJBroncoFan Blanding, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 3:20 p.m.

I can understand why 3A fans would want to "dethrone" Juan Diego. They have certain advantages that make them a super tough program. The 2A Broncos on the other hand keep finding a way to win despite some disadvantages, which is the mark of a truely great program - win with what you've got. It will be refreshing to have a semi-final that doesn't feel like a foregone conclusion on the way to the final. It will take the Broncos best game to compete with Millard especially in the likely absence of Logan Meyer. Manti, on the other hand should have a cake walk to the final. Can either Millard or San Juan beat Manti? On a given night anytthing is possible.

• Boys of Fall Fillmore, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 9:44 p.m.

SJBroncoFan
    What happend to Logan Meyer? I thought he was back following an injury. Did he reinjure the same thing?

Should be some great games Saturday. I actually think S. Summit could make a game of it for Manti. They will have to clean up their game from their first meeting though. Too many mistakes.

The Millard/SJ game should be good. It will be interesting to see how Pancho & Jesse do against the SJ defense.

• Jackal Enterprise, UT
    Oct. 30, 2011 11:34 a.m.

Can't wait to see how 2A all shakes out. Manti - the biggest, tallest team, but out of shape and dpoorly coached. I may be prejudice, but they are over twice the size of the other three schools and the same size as Delta. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. San Juan - Confident, experienced, and coached by the best - unfortunately, their team is not the best team they have taken to the finals, but they probably have the edge of all four teams. Millard - by far has the most talented players, by far. Those two runningbacks are the most entertaining to watch in 2A. They lack confidence (what happened in the first half against Richfield?) and like I've probably said before, need to mix it up a little. South Summit - Good solid team, lots of heart, kind of a wildcard. Would love to see them in the Finals.

• ABITOUTSIDE Central, UT
    Oct. 30, 2011 6:12 p.m.

I have listened all year about Manti's size and the advantage it is. Why is no one complaining about Richfield or Emery. Richfield is large than both Juab and Delta, they just hide their kids in their alternative school, Emery is just as big. With your same logic Ogden should dominate 3A, but they don't.

Don't discredit what these kids and coaches have done. Out of shape? That makes my laugh, you have not watched them, our big boys can line up and go head to head all day. As far as coaching, anyone that knows anything about football knows games are won from January to August, if you want bigger kids get them in the weight room.

After reading all the post all season, I have heard very few fans from Millard, San Juan or South Summit complain about the other team being to big or how large their school is, good football programs believe when they line up against anyone they are going to win. That is why the 4 remaining teams are going to make for a great show down the next two weeks. Good luck to all the remaining teams.

• ABITOUTSIDE Central, UT
    Oct. 30, 2011 7:04 p.m.

Make sure you get your numbers correct Manti 545, the enrollment at San Juan is 408 and South Summit is 405. Hardly twice the size, Millard 325, again not twice as large. This kind of takes the sting out your argument of the only reason Manti is doing well is because they are soooooo big.

• Boys of Fall Fillmore, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 2:02 a.m.

Jackal
    Not sure what happend the 1st half of the Richfield game. It was a wierd game. Our boys came out flat, but just some bazaar things happend (like Pancho missing a PAT, the offense scoring 14 points without getting a 1st down until the 3rd quarter, & the power going out). It was 7-6 at the half, but our JV were in with about 5 minutes left in the game. So, alot of quick scoring the second half (especially the 4th).
    I don't know if it was the layoff or what, but they can't expect to start slow like that against SJ & win. SJ is too good.
    As for school size, you will always have a "biggest" & a "smallest" in all the divisions. Delta is the smallest 3A & yet they are very competitive in their division. Do they win all the time in all the sports? No, but they are more competitive than many of the larger 3A schools.
    Good luck to the final 4. Not much surprise, these were the 4 best throughout the season. Should be some good games. Can't wait til Saturday.

• Nebsy Ephraim, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 8:16 a.m.

Jackal.... are you serious?
    It is amusing how you say that Manti could not be competitive in 3A. Look at the stats from last year's Juan Diego playoff game. I think the big difference is that Manti choses to step up to the fight. Regardless!
    The four best teams in 2A will be competing on Saturday. Who will argue that?

I'm a little curious about the coaching comment. Any coach in the state will tell you that Manti is extremely WELL coached.

• 2A-Fan Enterprise, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 8:27 a.m.

ABITOUTSIDE-- When Jackal said your "size" he was talking about your players not your school. You seem to be a bit sensitive...

• Nebsy Ephraim, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 9:41 a.m.

2A-Fan......"over twice the size of the other three schools".

• Jackal Enterprise, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 10:53 a.m.

Nebsy - Maybe you need to talk to other coaches, because that is not that general sentiment. Ask, and you will see.

• ABITOUTSIDE Central, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 11:27 a.m.

The "general sentiment", from which coaches, I don't think it could have been Millard's coach, we held both their running backs under a hundred yards and only scored 2 touchdowns. Manti did not look winded in the final drive, most of the season the starters on the bench by the third quarter, they did not look winded or out of shape then.

As a parent it is very difficult to watch teams cut block and chop block our linemen to slow them down, maybe that is the good coaching you are talking about. It would be nice to play heads up football and not resort to that type of coaching.

Manti will be ready, the coaches are excellent and will have their team prepared. I would dare say there is not a group of coaches that put more time into preparation and making sure their team is ready. My only complaint would be they are a little to nice, they refuse to run the score up on anyone. Look at the second half of last weeks game.

• YouThinkSo FAYETTE, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 1:17 p.m.

Bob great article but the last time I checked there wasn't a 57 yard line on a football field, unless they are now playing with new rules.

• Nebsy Ephraim, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 1:26 p.m.

O.K. Jackal... now I understand. The problem with Manti's coaches; apparently they are to nice.
    Go Templars.

• BRONCO_4_LIFE Blanding, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 6:25 a.m.

I think it should be noted that yes you are correct when you say san juan has an enrollment of 408 but alot of the reason San Juan gets so much praise is that they are pulling together this great team with half that many students.. Half the students at San Juan are native american and do not play football.. I cant wait to watch both games on saterday i think we are all in for a treat..

• sports_fan Cedar city, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 8:55 a.m.

I agree with Bronco_4_Life, San Juan is 2A but about half of their student body is bused in so most of students that get bused in don't really play sports because the travel is so difficult.

• ABITOUTSIDE Central, UT
    Nov. 1, 2011 9:41 a.m.

I agree that each school has different circumstances that are unique to small towns, my point is that good football programs are created within the school and circumstances of each small town. Looking at the 4 remaining schools they are all well coached and have created an environment where they believe each time they play they are going to win, regardless of who they play or the size of the school. That is why Saturday is going to be a great day of football.

• CTJ fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 3, 2011 2:03 p.m.

I find it interesting the comments about the size of the schools. Nobody in 2A has anything to complain about. The real travesty is the 3A ranks. The difference between 600 and over a 1000 is much more than 550 and 350. In 3A you have schools that can play there players one way and teams that can't. Everybody in 2A pretty much go both ways and thats a huge difference. If you look at it a big school wins almost every year in 3A but it's about split in the 2A ranks on who wins. So the argument is not valid. For a few of you I'm a Manti fan and there coaching is NOT good. I'd take every coaching staff of the remaining teams over Manti's. Talent alone I don't think anyone compares, but your good year in year out because of good coaching.

• kennyk MANTI, UT
    Nov. 6, 2011 6:22 p.m.

Wow such negativity from these other schools!!! I agree we have big kids, but these kids are constantly in the weight room working out. You cant take that away or blame a kid because of their size!! As far as the coaching goes, I believe a good coach is 1- someone helps the team win---Manti does win...obviously. 2- someone who loves the kids he coaches...These coaches would do anything for their players. 3-someone the players love...these kids love the coaches. As far as Jackels comments are I believe he is only upset because San Juan hasnt had to play anyone tough, and when they met Millard....well Jackel you know what happened. I know this is going to be a great game this Saturday and either team could win... best of luck to both teams. P.S. Jackel I can see why you are complaining about size, because after Manti's win Saturday, I thought maybe the San Juan's 6th grade team was having a playoff game after ours!!! Nothing against San Juan's players but if you watched them play all year and then see Manti...I can see how you would think that.