5A high school football preview: Syracuse at Alta

Comments

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 27, 2011 7:30 p.m.

Sad like Davis they have no offense this year.

• SUPERTONGANMAN SANDY, UT
    Oct. 27, 2011 7:41 p.m.

Syracuse is a good team but Alta will still win. I'm calling it, Alta wins the State Championship this year.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 27, 2011 7:57 p.m.

You are right, Alta will get to the finals against Lone Peak and will sadly lose.
    I have a soft spot for Alta my younger brothers played for the Hawks back in the early 80's so the Alta " Back in Black " was the AC/DC motto then as it is today but I truly feel that Lone Peak has the State Crown this year.

• the hawk Sandy, UT
    Oct. 27, 2011 8:10 p.m.

So long syracuse

• markymark HERRIMAN, UT
    Oct. 27, 2011 9:14 p.m.

I don't see lp winning it all, if it's bad weather they are done. You need a run game in November. Bingham has a good run game and Alta has a decent run game. One of them will take it. Now if it is good weather and chase is on his game, lp will be tough to beat.

• titan4life1 syracuse, ut
    Oct. 27, 2011 9:55 p.m.

this game will be closer than predicted...

• ProudBigBrother NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 3:42 a.m.

While it's a little early to be talking about the championship, the dialog is already going here, so what the heck... I predict Alta Vs. Lone Peak for the title. I think Alta has Bingham's number in a playoff rematch, provided they both make it to the Semi's, which seems likely.
    As for the title game, LP DOES have a running game, in their wonder boy Chase Hansen! And he has shown very few moments when he hasn't been "on", so leaving victory hopes to the chance that Chanse won't be in proper form in the championship is a poor game plan for Alta.
    But Alta's running game is better than "decent"! Brian Engstrom by far leads the league in rush TD's with 19 and he has nearly broken 1,000 yards, and that isn't counting his receiving yards/TD's, which are also substantial, with 22 receptions for 472 yards and 2 TD's.
    Alta's defense is amazing and their offense is more balanced than Bingham's or LP's, so I'm confident they can compete and beat either team, and bring that trophy back where it belongs! Go Hawks!!!

• ProudBigBrother NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 3:49 a.m.

@ titan4life1
    Alright, Titan. I've seen you post similar comments on other threads, even saying that Syracuse will come out victorious... So let's hear it; what, other than loyalty, makes you think that the Titan's will bring down the Hawks? What are they going to bring to the table that will make the game "closer than predicted"?
    I'm not mocking, I'm simply inviting you lay out your opinion in a little more detail. I'm not very familiar with Syracuse, but I do respect them. My friend is a coach on their team and they have made some great progress in their region the last couple years. So educate me. I'd love to be more familiar with them before the game.

• ProudBigBrother NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 4:16 a.m.

By the way, there was a rather serious typo in this aticle - The Alta Offense is averaging 39.2 ppg, not 29.2. That's a pretty significant difference. And it may seem like a typo that the Alta Defense is only allowing 12 ppg, but that actually IS acurate... hehe

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 8:28 a.m.

I agree with Titan, Syracuse was within a couple of plays of being the #2 seed in Region 1 and are a good team with excellent coaching. They have a stout defense and aren't going to give anything away. I still think Alta wins by 2 or 3 td's, but this won't be a typical 1 v 4 blowout game. I could even see it as a close game at the half with Alta pulling away in the second half.
    I predicted Alta v Lone Peak in the final before the season started and still think that will be the case, but there are some great football games ahead of us and anything can happen.
    Alta may struggle a bit on offense but their defense could pull off another shutout, and the D is the reason they could win it all.

• Northridgefan5 OGDEN, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 11:02 a.m.

I'm not saying that Syracuse is going to win, but let's not forget that a Region One team stepped up last year and smashed the Hawks in the mouth on their home field and left them stunned. Good luck Titans!

• SC53 SANDY, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 12:03 p.m.

Northridgefan5-

Alta won a mere 4 games last year. Getting beat in round one of the playoffs didn't "stun" anyone at Alta. The only thing that left Alta "stunned" last year was actually making the playoffs. It is sad to think that the highlight of any Region 1 teams' high school career was defeating the 4-7 2010 Alta Hawks. But then again, having watched several Region 1 teams the last several seasons, I can understand there's not a lot to remember fondly.

• ProudBigBrother NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 12:40 p.m.

I would love this to be a tough win for Alta! It would keep the starters in longer for more playoff experience and help them prepare mentally for game 2 b4 focusing on Bingham possibilities. Plus, I would love to see Syracuse successful, if not victorious. Less than 3 hours to go!

• titan4life1 syracuse, ut
    Oct. 28, 2011 12:50 p.m.

@ ProudBigBrother
    Some evidence for you: Syracuse got ROBBED by the Refs in the game against Davis on a mysterious face mask call that nobody saw when Davis funbled and we got the ball...which happened to cost us the game. Northridge got lucky on that last second blocked field goal against us...So Syracuse should've finished 9-1 and the number 2 seed in Region 1...instead we are 7-3 because of poor calls by the refs and playing an Alta team that is pretty much all hype.

• Gotitans! SYRACUSE, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 1:08 p.m.

@titan4life1
    How much that i would love to see Syracuse win, I doubt it, yes its good to cheer for our highschool buuuttt we have to be realistic. Will we lose, most likely, but i want our team to play there hardest and make the game close and than if we do win!! Party! but lets be realistic.

• the hawk Sandy, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 1:12 p.m.

All hype? Alta has owned region one the last few years besides last when we lost over half of our coaching staff. Keep saying alta is all hype. This will be like last time alta played syracuse at RES. It's gonna be a bloodbath.

• Gotitans! SYRACUSE, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 1:17 p.m.

@titan4life1
    Yes i agree with you about the davis game, but the Northridge game the kid that blocked it, he saw an oppurtunity and took it, yes it was frustrating (especially since it was the Homecoming game) but give credit where credit is due! But GO ALL REGION 1 TEAMS!!

• Gotitans! SYRACUSE, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 1:18 p.m.

@titan4life1

• titan4life1 syracuse, ut
    Oct. 28, 2011 1:22 p.m.

I will start laughing at all of the haters when Syracuse wins!!!!!

• Gotitans! SYRACUSE, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 1:26 p.m.

@titan4life1
    Im not a hater, i go to Syracuse, and will be cheering for Syracuse BUT im being realistic

• the hawk Sandy, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 2:13 p.m.

No rebuttal titan4life1?

• the hawk Sandy, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 3:36 p.m.

10-0 with 32 seconds remaining in the 1st quarter. looking familiar.

• mom75 Clearfield, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 4:22 p.m.

16-10 at the half SYRACUSE!

• the hawk Sandy, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 5:01 p.m.

16-10 at the end of the 3rd.

• the hawk Sandy, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 5:34 p.m.

and Alta loses! didn't see that one coming. Maybe for once region 1 really is strong. Credit where it's due, good job Syracuse. Looks like I'm going to be cheering on Alta's 2 biggest rivals now. Go Jordan and Bingham! Make the 5 mile club proud! (JD too)

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 5:35 p.m.

great win by the syracuse titans!

congrats mr titans4life you made me eat my words thats amazing your defense was unreal, alta overlooked you!

as did i! good luck next week!!

• ProudBigBrother NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 5:43 p.m.

Wow. Well, that's that. I'm now more familiar with the Titans. I guess I've been educated.

• Gotitans! SYRACUSE, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 7:34 p.m.

@titan4life1
    haha made me eat my words!! and im glad i did!! GO TITANS!! HAHA woohoo party at Syracuse tonight!!

• Northridgefan5 OGDEN, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 7:34 p.m.

@ SC53 I thought your beloved Hawks were supposed to be so much better this year? Looks like region One is just a little bit better than you thought. Congrats Syracuse go Region One!

• titan4life1 syracuse, ut
    Oct. 28, 2011 7:52 p.m.

I now can't wait to hopefully play Bingham in the semi's!

• watchfuleye Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 8:30 p.m.

to titan4life - If I were you, I would be hoping that Fremont wins. You don't really want to face Bingham do you? Having confidence is a good thing but asking to play them is just plain stupid. You may be able to beat them but you would have a better chance of playing on the turf if Fremont wins.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 28, 2011 8:59 p.m.

wow, guess that's why they play the games. Lesson in not looking ahead I guess. Don't get ahead of yourselves Titan fans and already believe you will meet up with Bingham.

• Gotitans! SYRACUSE, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 10:19 p.m.

@titan4life
    I would rather play fremont than Bingham just saying haha, and plus we need to pay them back for beating us this year 15-3 :D

• markymark HERRIMAN, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 11:04 p.m.

Careful what you wish for titan4life

• SUPERTONGANMAN SANDY, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 11:54 p.m.

@titan4life and @Gotitans! I was wrong and I am so sorry for not giving Syracuse a chance. Sorry for disrespecting Syracuse's Football team. You guys sure proved me wrong and I have incredible respect for Syracuse. Not so much for Region 1 but Syracuse shut Alta down. Thanks again for ruining my bracket.

• ViperGuy Farside of The Moon, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 12:36 a.m.

Syracuse Region 1 Brothers!!! Congrats on dominating Alta......Alta that soo many know-it-alls saw going all the way. Syracuse is a team Fremont deeply respects and we wish you the very best in round 2. Everyone in Plain City knew you guys were going to be the spoilers, and I predicted such last week.

• the hawk Sandy, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 12:56 a.m.

• KnightsFan Layton, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 1:35 a.m.

Congrats Syracuse! Huge win for you guys! Hmm... Region 1 is 3-1? And still getting disrespected! Come on now we might not have the super teams like bingham or lone peak but we do know how to play some football up here! But continue to overlook us and we will sneak right by you! Once again congrats Titans and the rest of region 1!

• HHS fan St. George, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 10:14 a.m.

I thought the top 3A teams couldn't beat the top 5A teams! This just proves that they can, and anything can happen. Syracuse is not exactly one of the top 5A teams.

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 6:15 p.m.

HHS FAN,

nice comment when a good syracuse team beats Alta,

You have not won state the last 3 years, or anytime before that really, and your all a sudden back up to thinkin you can hang, smooth talk though.

Beat JD first before you even get to 4A and 5A and skyline is an average 4A team so you know!

Great win for the Titans!

Picks for Next week,

Bingham very closely over Fremont 24-21
    Syracuse 28 West 7
    Lone Peak 54 Northridge 20
    Jordan 30 Viewmont 10

Best games by far Bingham Fremont! Will be a classic!

• HHS fan St. George, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 6:36 p.m.

Syracuse beat Desert Hills 14-12. Hurricane beat Desert Hills 38-7. Point made, and don't start talking about head to head. Things can happen in any high school game.

My comment is just in response to your smooth comment last week.

• razorback South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 10:43 p.m.

@ the Hawk - Injuries are part of the game but id be willing to bet if alta had their qb and rb in the game the hawks would have won

As no article was written about this game, can you please provide more insight to this comment? Did something happen to Blackner and Engstrom?

• JNA Layton, UT
    Oct. 30, 2011 4:09 p.m.

Binghamalum, Just a question? where was Bingham before the last 3 years....yep, that silence means....absolutely nowhere, you are no where near the dynasty that Skyline was and it only took Northridge 3 years to win their first State Championship and they did that for 3 years beating Skyline that had won I think 6 straight so please do us all a favor and sit down. I think it is ok for a Syracuse fan to have some faith in their team...and please remember that most championship teams earned their championships by using the players that lived within their school boundaries unlike Bingham that has to recruit.

• Prep Fanatic Los Angeles, CA
    Oct. 31, 2011 7:06 a.m.

I understand that injuries are part of the game, but a healthy Alta team blows Syracuse away in this one. Just look at the start: 10-0 in the first quarter.

Hat's off to Syracuse though for getting the win. Did what you had to to et a win against a very good Alta team on the road.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 11:29 a.m.

razorback - Engstrom broke his collarbone in the 1st quarter and Blackner tore his acl in the third. Even still the Hawks didn't game plan to run Engstrom much, they had Allen #1 with the ball most of the plays in the 1st quarter. Not sure why they wouldn't give Engstrom the ball when he was in there but they didn't. Questionable game plan by the OC in my opinion. They put their jr qb in after Blackner went down and he picked up some yards scrambling but really wasn't effective, just ran around in the pocket, wouldn't throw the ball and then fumbled when he got hit. They put their soph qb in at the end of the 4th when they had the ball on their own 1 yard line and he drove them to the Syracuse 16 before getting sacked on 4th down to end the game with a minute left.
    Syracuse brought the heat all day and deserved the win.

• razorback South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 31, 2011 11:55 a.m.

plyxply - thanks.

We suspected there was more than meets the eye on this outcome.