Faith

Romney vs. Obama: Who do black Mormons support?

Comments

• Wasatch Sasquatch Draper, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 10:58 a.m.

Forgive me, but aren't there currently multiple candidates for the republican nomination? Voters have the option to vote for any of the candidates. The way this headline reads it implies you can choose between two options: vote for someone who is a member of your religion, or vote for someone of the same race. Neither of which should be adequate prerequisites for any vote.

• David King Layton, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 11:03 a.m.

Another day, another "How will Romney's Mormonism affect the election?" article. Let's be honest with ourselves. Romney has bigger problems than Mormonism. What does he really believe? Is he Senate Candidate Miit? Governor Mitt? or '08 or '12 Mitt? When confronted about illegal aliens working for the company he contracted for yard work, Mitt Romney said he couldn't have it, "I'm running for office, for Pete's sake!" He had no qualms about the legality apparently, only how it affected his political campaign. Some wonder about his sincerity. Does he really believe what he's saying, or does he just want to win?

Contrary to what the Deseret News seems to believe, Romney has yet to secure the nomination, and there are other candidates that could face Barack Obama. While you have time to print an almost daily article on the Romney-Mormon angle, I didn't see any coverage of Ron Paul's straw poll win Saturday in Ohio, the fact he raised $2.7 million in 72 hours last week, or his plan to cut $1 trillion and balance the budget. Had Romney done these things, wouldn't we have seen a story about it?

• mightymite DRAPER, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 11:04 a.m.

• Joey D WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 11:07 a.m.

The article makes a broad assumption that Herman Cain who is currently the front runner in many poles isnt even a factor. Perhaps the blacks Mormons wont appreciate that assumption.

• On the other hand Spanish Fork, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 11:10 a.m.

I hope blacks of all faiths and Mormons of all racial backgrounds will vote for candidates based on how well those candidates' stances line up with their own ideas of good governance. Religion and race are pretty lousy indicators of a candidate's ability to lead the nation.

• defibman Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 11:23 a.m.

All I can say is that I can not, will not vote for Obama. ANYONE but him. Sorry Pagan, I will cancel out your vote.

Almost everyone I talk to says that they voted for Obama before and will never vote for him again. At least these people can see the light.

• aumacoma SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 11:26 a.m.

"It is not Red State voters who fear Mormons the most," the article states. "It is the secular, college-educated, liberal blue state voters that do."
    Oh my friggin' heck! Just one more of the millions of examples of the ignorance and stupidity that has taken over the Republican party.
    Please people, get your religion out of my government.
    "When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross". Sinclair Lewis

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 11:47 a.m.

Let's put it this way - if you are black and you voted for Obama just because he is black then your voting IQ is pretty low and so is your reasoning ability. If you vote for someone just because he is the same color as you then I'm sorry for you and for the nation as a whole. Hopefully this next time around people will actually be "thinking voters" instead of just emotional zombies.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Oct. 24, 2011 11:48 a.m.

I said it once and I'll say it again, but when I lived in Chicago during the elections and people talked politics with me (I did not talk politics back) blatantly told me that they voted for Obama because he was black (they were black as well, as were most people in that neighborhood). And that it still true no matter how many people try to tell me I am making this up!

Another fact is that 95% of blacks voted for Obama in 2008 (not made up; a google search will easily and overwhelmingly confirm this). Also according to the CNN exit polls, people who voted for the first time and voters who have no high school diploma voted for Obama.

What does this mean? This is what happens when when people vote in an uneducated manner, which is obviously what happened here. Luckily the American people are starting to realize their mistake. Let's hope they aren't stupid enough to vote for him again.

• JSperry SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 11:48 a.m.

Okay let the bigotry and racial remarks begin.

Before some of you misguided individuals go off quoting Brigham Young from the "Journal of Discourses," I will undermine your contention at the source and ask you who the published these journals?

The Journal of Discourses is not an official publication of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The Journal of Discourses was produced under the guidance of those who transcribed the materials, including George D. Watt, David W. Evans, and George W. Gibbs. These reporters transcribed speculative dissertations and published them in England for the purpose of personal financial gain. Questions have been raised about the accuracy of some transcriptions. Modern technology and processes were not available for verifying the accuracy of transcriptions, and some significant mistakes have been documented. The Journal of Discourses includes interesting and insightful teachings by early Church leaders; however, by itself it is not an authoritative source of Church doctrine.

• Great Horned Owl Spanish Fork, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 11:49 a.m.

I also tire of these articles. Every day the DesNews acts as if Romney has secured the nomination and as if Mormons should be attracted to his candidacy largely because of his professed religion. As one of the many active Mormon, active Republican, Utahns who reads the DesNews but *doesn't* find Romney's platform the most attractive let me add my voice to the many reminding the DesNews that there are *so many* wrong messages being sent by this tripe!

• JSperry SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 11:50 a.m.

Okay let the bigotry and racial remarks begin.

• ed in az cave creek, AZ
    Oct. 24, 2011 11:52 a.m.

It is an absurd question. Hard to tell if it's more racist or infantile.
    It presupposes that Mormons (blacks in this case) would vote for someone
    based on their skin color or their religion. Black LDS members are no different than other people. They will pick the candidate most congruent with their political and ethical opinions.

I am guessing here, of course, but I think many at this point would vote for whomever is the last person standing in the opposition party.

Oh, and fascism has arrived in America.. not wrapped in the flag or in religion, but in progressiveism and governing by regulation rather than legislation.

• JNA Layton, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 11:58 a.m.

Hey Pagen or Pagan I am never sure of the spelling.

You say it is a loss to vote for someone other than Obama. My opinion is it was the loss of this country for every vote Obama got. He is the worst President in the history of the United States. I came to that conclusion all on my own without any cutting and pasting, and please don't whine that I would feel this way about any Democrat because I voted for Bill Clinton.

• SG in SLC Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 12:08 p.m.

Any that are Republican will likely support Romney; any that are Democrat will likely support Obama.

There, that was easy; okay, next question . . .

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 12:14 p.m.

This seems like a regression in politics that has supposedly become enlightened enough to not use race or religion as a litmus test for casting a ballot in a presidential election. This is a conterfeit concept and the headline has no place in a reasonable discussion about an election.

• sergio Phoenix, AZ
    Oct. 24, 2011 12:20 p.m.

%JNA, You must be looking in a one way mirrow if you can't see some of the progress and good President Obama has accopmlished for the nation. All citizens should be diligent and work to be imformed in selecting our leaders, but to be blind and dumb to what is happening in the office of the president of the United State of America is sad at best destructive at worst. Citizens need to be more patriotic and less partisan to solve our nation's leadershiip problems.

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington, DC
    Oct. 24, 2011 12:20 p.m.

This article advocates racial division, a divide and conquer tactic.

How about a 3rd choice? Freedom.

• SG in SLC Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 12:41 p.m.

I suspect that more than a few Harry Reid supporters would take exception to the statement above.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 12:41 p.m.

'He *(Obama) is the worst President in the history of the United States.' - JNA | 11:58 a.m. Oct. 24, 2011

Ok.

Alternative:

Debt ceiling:
    'Bush Administration Adds $4 Trillion To National Debt' - by Mark Knoller - CBS News - 09/29/08

'It'll be the 7th time the debt limit (ceiling) has been raised during this administration. In fact it was just two months ago, on July 30, that President Bush signed the Housing and Economic Recovery Act, which contained a provision raising the debt ceiling to $10.615 trillion.'

*'U.S. Military deaths in Iraq war at 4,473 - AP - Published by the DSNews - 08/02/2011

I enjoy how people complain about my ID's....

and then keep relying after my x4th post. :)

• Blue Chelan56 Chelan, WA
    Oct. 24, 2011 12:47 p.m.

Religious Bigotry is still alive and well. The Main-tream Media and the Oboma Adm. are pushing Romney as the Repub. front runner, because they feel the "Mormon" label will work in their favor, as many Evangelical, Baptists, and other Protestant Religions just will not vote for a "Mormon". As Americans, we have come a long way in overcoming much of our Racial and Religeous Pregidice,but in my opinion, many still are brainwashed against Mormons in general by their Leaders.For most Religeous Leaders, it is a dollar and cent issue. It is their livelyhood that they are protecting.

• Ralph West Jordan Taylorsville, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 12:54 p.m.

Re:JNA
    Obama is far from the worst president we have ever had. It would have been nice to see what he could have accomplished for the country without the total obstructionism he faced from day one. Fact is that the Pubs never could accept the fact that Obama out smarted, out organized, out campaigned and out classed them to became the first Black American POTUS and a Dem to make it sting even more. Their sole purpose and goal has been to make Obama pay the price for showing them up, even if it has caused the citizens to suffer the consequences. It has been stick it to him no matter the cost to the country. But what goes around always comes around, and the majority of voters are not stupid. If the right wingers thought the last three years were hard to swallow, it will be fun watching them gag on the next 5 years because of their inability to find a candidate willing to run, that could beat Obama. Enjoy Pubs enjoy!

• FDRfan safety dictates, ID
    Oct. 24, 2011 1:06 p.m.

I don't understand what the answer to that question proves? Would black Mormons support Romney or Reid? Do they agree with the President's helping home owners who are current on their home loans but are locked out of the refinancing market because of fallen house values or would they side with Mitt Romney if he opposes this plan? I'm white but don't try to make my support of policies a matter of my faithfulness to the Church? I agree with Mitt Romney on some issues and disagree on others. A better question is would a black Mormon support Cain or Obama?

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 1:16 p.m.

To JNA | 11:58 a.m. Oct. 24, 2011

'He *(Obama) is the worst President in the history of the United States.'
    ---------------------------

Sorry -- you got the wrong president. The worst President in the history of the United States was President Obama's predecessor -- George Walker Bush. I'm not pleased with a lot of what President Obama has done, but he's head-and-shoulders better on his worst day than GWB was on his best.

• RAB Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 1:19 p.m.

It seems like most of the commentators on this page did not read the article. The whole point was to clarify that, contrary to what many people might be assuming, black Latter Day Saints DO NOT choose candidates based on their religion or their race. I am glad DS did us the favor of putting that question to rest.

I cannot prove it, but Democrats do not necessarily vote against Mormons out of religious bias. Mormons have numerous well-known beliefs that liberals oppose (opposition to same-sex-marriage, being one).

@ Pagen
    You are opposed to Mormons because of their views on gays. Dont pretend anything else matters to you. If Romney favored same-sex marriage, you would not care less what he said about Detroit years ago. You would be pasting in out-of-context comments that support him instead.

Everyone knows that Obama does not HAVE to attack Romneys religion. There are plenty of liberal pundits and media personalities willing to do the smear job for him. I saw it when Romney was running against Kennedy.

• Shimlau SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 1:53 p.m.

Ralph West Jordan: for the first 2 years of his administration, his party had control of both houses of congress! how can you claim that it is because of obstructionist Repub's that he got nothing done? Maybe the American people just don't like what he has accomplished. When he won the election, I looked at him and said to myself, "at least I know what we got!" and my opinion hasn't changed.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 2:11 p.m.

'how can you claim that it is because of obstructionist Repub's that he got nothing done?' - Shimlau | 1:53 p.m. Oct. 24, 2011

*'Republicans bail on budget talks, blame Democrats' - By David Espo - AP - Published by DSNews - 06/23/11

*Republicans block small business lending bill' - By Stephen Ohlemacher - AP - Published by DSNews - 07/29/10

*House GOP blocks bill to extend jobless benefits By Andrew Taylor AP 11/18/10

*'Senate Republicans Block Defense Bill, 'Don't Ask Don't Tell' Repeal' - By MATTHEW JAFFE and DEVIN DWYER - ABC News - 09/21/10

When Democrats reclaimed the Senate majority in the 2006 midterm elections, cloture filings shot up from 68 in 2005-2006 (From Dems) to a record 139 in 2007-2008.' (From Republicans)

*'The Rise Of Cloture: How GOP Filibuster Threats Have Changed The Senate' - Ben Frumin and Jason Reif - Talking Points Memo - 01/27/10

Would you like more examples...

than the 139 fillibusters?

• Ralph West Jordan Taylorsville, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 2:19 p.m.

Re: Shimlau

Surely you jest!!

• Woodyff Mapleton, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 2:20 p.m.

Oduah concludes: "Being black by birth and Mormon by choice for many in America means choosing not to judge people by race or religion or even political party, but by content of character." If you are going to make a decision by the content of character then how could anyone favor Obama over anybody, except maybe Biden. Obama lacks character, honesty, etc. How many scandals do we now have in the Obama administration? Too many to count!

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 2:20 p.m.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
    ...
    And when this happens, when we allow freedom to ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual:

Free at last! Free at last!

Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!

~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    28th August, 1963

=================

Why is Religion and Race still being discussed as "THE" issue in 2011-2012 ?

My guess is only those who keep making it "THE" issue, are the ones actually still struggling and having problems with it.

• xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    Oct. 24, 2011 2:21 p.m.

@Patriot: And now use the word "Mormon" wherever you use race and color.

• Colorado Reader Littleton, CO
    Oct. 24, 2011 2:26 p.m.

Best quote I have heard in a while. We should all learn something from it!

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Oct. 24, 2011 2:50 p.m.

Members of the church, be they black, white or whatever would do best to follow the counsel of the First Presidency:

"we urge you to register to vote, to study the issues and candidates carefully and prayerfully, and then to vote for and actively support those you believe will most nearly carry out your ideas of good government."

If you think that is Romney, great. If you think that is Obama, also great. If you think it is some other candidate, that is fine as well.

This is politics, not our eternal salvation. People have different opinons and that is okay.

• Conservative Veteran Layton, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 2:55 p.m.

I am a mormon who will tell you that I will neither vote for a person because they are a mormon or because of the color of their skin - both these points are completely irrelevant to me.

The only consideration I will give in order of priority for me is:

1. Who will get our deficit spending under control?
    2. Do they have a plan to reduce our debt?
    3. What will they do to reduce our cumbersome regulation?
    4. What will they do to stabilize our currency?
    5. What will they do to continue showing support to our troops with oversees battles winding down?
    6. What policies will they implement that will strengthen the family?

These are the primary issues I will use to select who I will vote for. I am still undecided. I will continue to gather as much information on the candidates as possible.

• MarkJ South Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 24, 2011 3:07 p.m.

The headline of this article seems to imply that someone would choose to vote for a candidate either because they are the same race or the same religion as that candidate. Really? I'm a white Mormon Republican, but I still think I'd vote for Obama over Romney because at least Obama seems to have political views consistent with his party. I'm never going to vote for a Republican like Romney who is not actually a conservative, and it surprises me that so many in Utah seem willing to support him just because of his religion in spite of the fact that his politics are not the least bit conservative.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 3:30 p.m.

Actually there's another point about Cain. Black Mormons are probably going to vote for Obama or Romney, if that's the general election matchup, based on political ideology. A more interesting question is who in the Republican primary do black Mormons tend to favor.

@Riverton Cougar

"Another fact is that 95% of blacks voted for Obama in 2008 (not made up; a google search will easily and overwhelmingly confirm this). "

@JNA
    "He is the worst President in the history of the United States."

On what basis? His capacity for turning 700k/month job losses inherited to now 20 straight months of growth? The DOW doing better than all other global stock markets the past couple years? Trying to pass jobs bills but getting stopped by obstructionists? Wanting to reduce the deficit by 4 trillion when Republicans scrap it and aim for 2 trillion?

• KM Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 4:14 p.m.

"let detroit go bankrupt." Sounds reasonable to me. If a business isn't succeeding then there must be something wrong with the way they are operating the business. Or would you have the private sector bail them out?

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 4:15 p.m.

I would hope the one they can trust the most is the one who is most likely to see to it that they have decent social security by the time they retire and not have to rely on only the stock market.

I would hope they would vote for a president they can trust won't get us into stupid wars.

A president who whose goal is not to lower taxes on the rich while gutting social programs. Blacks especially but whites too used to go hungry often times before the federal government made it their business to fight hunger through food stamps.

I would hope they will vote for a president who cuts wasteful government spending, and pays down our debt.

• mare54 KIHEI, HI
    Oct. 24, 2011 4:41 p.m.

Ahemmmmmmmm...... Obama the worst President of the United States??? Someone forgot the last President of the United States, who Obama has been trying to clean up after ever since!!! What short sighted people. Disgusting.

• The Deuce Livermore, CA
    Oct. 24, 2011 5:15 p.m.

First, as a non-LDS, I find those who do not take time to understand the LDS faith before making comments are not that well informed regarding the key issues facing our country and the candidates at this time. In other words, they have no rational basis for being able to vote. This "Mormon Faith" issue is so full of holes. I realize that those non-LDS in Utah seem to have a distored view of this faith. But for the rest of us who live outside of Utah and associate with members of this faith on both a personal and business level, find them not be be the wild and crazy people with weird beliefs that so many have written about. Before you comment take time to understand the religion and not base your comments on something you read about or heard. Go to the source. I can't believe that at this time in our society that we have to go through this.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 5:29 p.m.

There is no doubt in my mind that many people gave Obama the "novelty vote" - voting for the first black President. But I liked his ideas and experience.

I have been a Republican my entire life. Having said that, I am not ashamed to admit I voted for Obama in the last election (McCain/Palin was not a legitimate option), and I have not regretted it. I believe Obama is doing what any President would do in a similar difficult situation.

For instance, following WWI, Wilsonian progressives and anti-trust laws broke up much of the industrialist greed of the day. But then Hardings election meant big bucks for big business: a new age for fat-cat tycoons and good old boys in the Republican Party.

Ironically, many of Hardings pro-business policies hurt the American economy in the long run. The sudden free-for-all in the market led to over-speculation and corruption ("buying on margin"), just like the "casino investing" of today. This overspeculation, along with widespread corruption, faulty international finances, and tariff wars, eventually led to the stock market crash of 1929.

Current GOP candidates are all speculators with WallStreet ties.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 5:32 p.m.

'Sorry Pagan, I will cancel out your vote.' - defibman | 11:23 a.m. Oct. 24, 2011

That may very well be true.

But since you haven't given a REASON why your not going to vote for Obama...

and I supported my stance against Romney WITHOUT resorting to race OR religion...

your 'recommends' at 5pm MST stands at 8, and mine stands at...

14.

Good day to you.

• defibman Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 5:46 p.m.

@ Pagan.

I have put it on posts many times why I will not vote for BO.

Bush spending on a daily basis = $1.6 Billion

Obama spending on a daily basis = $3.1 Billion

And you and others still wonder why we are in the hole we are in.

P.S. I didn't know it was a contest as to how many of your friends you can get to "Recommend" your opinion. Or how many computers you can run to so you can recommend your own post.

PPS I still cancel out your vote. Na na na na na! No mater how many computers you sign on to or how many quotes from sources that don't matter.

• sharrona layton, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 6:01 p.m.

The Deuce ,First, as a non-LDS, I find those who do not take time to understand the LDS faith before making comments.

Romney vs. Obama: Who do black Mormons support? What about Herman Cain?
    (P. of G.P. Moses 7:8)And there was a blackness came upon all the children of Canaan, that they were despised among all people. And 7:22for the seed of Cain were black, and had Not a place among them.

• Pragmatic Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 6:50 p.m.

Deseret News...the title of your article is very condescending to anybody with a brain. Why should a Mormon vote for someone just because they are Mormon? Why should a black vote for a black just because they are black? This is what your article implies. This is a very sad commentary regarding the Voter.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Oct. 24, 2011 6:59 p.m.

Sorry but people shouldn't vote solely on religion, no matter what race or religion you are. I find this article silly.

• freddysheddy Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 7:09 p.m.

Why can't the DesNews do any original reporting? The author of this article could have easily performed his own interviews and obtained his own information instead of providing a stupid hyperlink and a brief inaccurate summary. The DesNews is going downhill so fast. Horrible, horrible journalism.

• kargirl Sacramento, CA
    Oct. 24, 2011 7:38 p.m.

You want to see Democrats vote for a Mormon? Hey give us someone like Harry Reid, if Nevada doesn't mind.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Oct. 24, 2011 7:46 p.m.

Just more Limbaugh-ish silly based reasoning going on here. Yes, most black voted for Obama. Most blacks are also Democrats. So did they vote for him because he is black, or because he was a democrat. Ironically, most republicans voted for McCain who is also a republican.... now is anyone saying they voted for him just because most republicans are white and therefor voted for him because McCain is white?

The logic is the 'conservatives' is mind bending.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch at the DN, it is assumed most Mormons will vote for Romney.... that they would not consider another candidate simply because of their mutual faith.

Is it not time to treat votes like they had brains and that they are capable of making decisions based on policy, rather than the race, religion or party of the ideas sponsor? Sometimes the DN gets right on the verge of a propaganda rag rather than a principles based publication.

In my family, which is multi-cultural, we will vote based on many factors, but two of them will not be the candidates religion nor his\her race.

• kargirl Sacramento, CA
    Oct. 24, 2011 8:17 p.m.

@I M LDS 2, I notice you're a student of history and comment that we've been this way before. And in the Crash of '29, many of the wealthy, who found themselves instantly impoverished, jumped from windowsills and killed themselves. Ironically enough, the ensuing regulations following will no doubt prevent such a happening. Yet that is what is wanted by those who don't feel they have enough. And if we don't remember history, we are bound to repeat it. Obama is also a student of history, and I have noted that much of his thinking is shaped by the lessons learned in the past, which he applies as needed to the present situation. I would assume that you also find this link in his thinking. I don't find it in any candidate in the Republican party that I can point to, which is a shame, and especially since some of them should be more aware. Like Romney. If any of these gentlemen/lady would like to give our sitting President a run for his money, they would do well to be students of history.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 8:28 p.m.

'I have put it on posts many times why I will not vote for BO. ' - defibman | 5:46 p.m. Oct. 24, 2011

That's nice.

But I'm talking about THIS article. THIS post.

I do not know EVERY post you have EVER posted. It is arrogant to believe I just simply 'should' know this.

You need to back up your claims.

Also, where did you get your numbers?

Because if Obama added $3 billion per DAY, like your claiming, he would add $1 trillion dollars...per MONTH!

($3 billion x 33 days = $1 Trillion dollars)

In, just the three years, Obama has been president he would have added $36 trillion dollars by now.

Debt added to date? $4 trillion.

Which is AS MUCH as George W. Bush added to the national debt.

Where's your outrage?

'PPS I still cancel out your vote. Na na na na na!' - defibman | 5:46 p.m. Oct. 24, 2011

And this...is where we stop pretending this was an adult conversation.

• live4uid PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 8:36 p.m.

ummm, so Pagan you just admitted that Obama has added just as much debt to the country as Bush, right? You do realize Obama has been president for almost 3 years to Bush's 8 right? I respect your research techniques, but do not see your logic.

• The Deuce Livermore, CA
    Oct. 24, 2011 11:15 p.m.

To: sharrona | 6:01 p.m. Oct. 24, 2011 Layton, UT - your scripture point is well made but it is old news and not that relevant since the late 1970's when all worthy males were given the Priesthood. I would think that your point now is nothing more than a historical note and does not have any relevance to 2011 issues. However, if you are trying to make the point that people pick and choose which historical points to reference when forming an opinion, then some will probably still think this is current doctrine. Not bad for a non-LDS, right!

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Oct. 24, 2011 11:18 p.m.

"Kerry also got a huge proportion of the black vote but since you seem insistent on claiming black people voted for Obama just because he's black, I'm curious what the primary percentage of Mormons was in voting for Romney. Didn't he get something like 85-90% of this state and that includes all the non-mormon republicans."

atl134,
    First of all, my claim that blacks voted for him because he was black was also supported by the fact that all the blacks who talked politics with me told me exactly that. I didn't say it; they said it!

Secondly, voting for someone because of their religion isn't the best thing, but it's better than voting for someone because of their race. Being black means your skin is black. Being a Mormon likely means you have very high standards and values, you realize the importance of families, etc. See the difference?

• riddlemethis Clearfield, UT
    Oct. 25, 2011 12:14 a.m.

Pagan:

($3 billion x 33 days = $1 Trillion dollars)

In case you missed it 3 billion x 33 = 100 billion. It's 100 billion x 10 that eaquals a trillion. So Obama would be adding a trillion every 10 months.

Since you love sources so much, please show us a source for 100 billion equals a trillion.

Obama's Trillion ( that's 1000 billion not 100 billion) dollar spending plan/ Washington Post 10/1/2008

Obama Quadruples deficit: Bush v Obama deficit in Pictures/ Heritage foundation March 24, 2009

Defibman's #s add up. Your #s don't.

• bobosmom small town, Nebraska
    Oct. 25, 2011 12:19 a.m.

I don't think its any of my business if a African-American member of the LDS church votes Republican or Democrat. At long as they go and voted there conscience. Just like I don't think its anybody's business who I vote for. You may not like ombama or the Republican nominee. But that's one of the blessings of living in the good old USA you can voice your opinion and we should all be grateful for that blessing.

• DanielWayneLewis SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 25, 2011 2:14 a.m.

The difference between Romney's religion and Obama's religion is we KNOW that Romney is a Mormon; we know that Obama claims to be a "Christian", yet his behaviour indicates he is either a Muslim or an Atheist.... Romney goes to temple, does all the things that Mormons do, but the only time Obama talks about being Christian is when people accuse him of being Muslim...
    That said, why does the DN avoid talking about John Huntsman??? If any Mormon is going to be president, it will need to be someone who actually picks a side and sticks to it, someone who garners respect from both parties, not a wishy-washy has-been....

• m.g. scott LAYTON, UT
    Oct. 25, 2011 7:31 a.m.

Condsider this: All things being equal except that the first term junior senator from Illinois is a white guy named Barry O'Brien. Does anyone want to tell me that he would ever have been considered experienced enough to run for president? He would never have even tried to run, much less would he have gotten the nomination or become president. Race obviously played a huge role in Obama getting elected. Hopefully we won't make the mistake of putting image over experience again.

• Ponch# OGDEN, UT
    Oct. 25, 2011 7:59 a.m.

African American LDS will favor Hermain Cain, in the primaries.

Because he is conservative and african american.

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    Oct. 25, 2011 8:35 a.m.

I for on think that religion would not even be a factor in many American's lives if this religion issue wasn't stressed so much by the media (or local papers, such as DNews). It's when the issue is constantly reinforced into average people's minds that they need to "Remember, he is the Mormon." while voting. This is bogus, why is race even spread by the media like wildfire? "Good story"? I want to vote for a good candidate, I don't want to know if the candidate is Muslim, Mormon, Black, Jewish, Buddhist, etc. It's irrelevant. So please, DNews, STOP making an issue out of this. I agree with the people who think that THIS is why Mormonism has a bad reputation of being racists or a cult.

Just let people vote for who they want!

• m.g. scott LAYTON, UT
    Oct. 25, 2011 9:58 a.m.

To Ralph West Jordan, Shimlau was correct. In fact the Dems had control of both houses of congress as of 2006. Then with Obama they had the House and a 60 vote majority in the Senate. It was less than a year ago that the Reps got a majority in the House. So for 4 years of Dem control what did we get?? The real "worst economy in 50 years". No jest.

• BobP Port Alice, B.C.
    Oct. 25, 2011 10:39 a.m.

Is that six or seven posts for Pagan/Pagen?

I still like the idea of a Romney/Cain ticket.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 25, 2011 10:44 a.m.

Where is Cain? Why is it assumed mormons would vote for a mormon? Is religion that big of a factor. Do mormons vote as an instructed bloc?

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    Oct. 25, 2011 10:57 a.m.

This is an ugly attempt to put us all in tribal patterns.

• GZE SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 25, 2011 10:57 a.m.

"Being a Mormon likely means you have very high standards and values, you realize the importance of families, etc"

Like ... oh, Kevin Garn. Sheldon Killpack. Mark Hoffman.

• SteveDixon7 BLOOMVILLE, NY
    Oct. 25, 2011 11:05 a.m.

An implication of this headline and story could be that all "white" Mormons will be voting for Romney. Not true! I am frustrated by all the name calling the Republicans are doing and their hypocritical rhetoric, and plan to vote for Obama, again. I feel that Obama is at least trying to do something good, and hope that most Americans (no matter their race) will feel the same.

• Badger55 Nibley, Ut
    Oct. 25, 2011 11:31 a.m.

mg scott,
    I agree. People seem to forget that little detail. Another thing often overlooked or not even researched is the fact that the bail out was sponsored by the democrats (Patrick kennedy) and the majority of co sponsors were also democrats. Majority of Repubs(75%) voted against it. Bush did sign it into law, most likely feeling something needed to be done. congress would have most likely overturned a veto anyway. So, blaming it all on bush doesn't really work

So who supported the bailouts? Wonder if OWS knows that answer. I agree that pointing fingers gets people nowhere, but so does an unwillingness to admit mistakes.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Oct. 25, 2011 11:35 a.m.

GZE, congratulations, you found 3 examples (as if 3 out of over 13 million proves that being a Mormon doesn't mean that you're likely to have high standards). How about I give you 3 examples of Mormons who DO have high standards and values, then we'll see who runs out first?

• VocalLocal Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 25, 2011 12:20 p.m.

Black Mormons: Romney or Obama

Should we be having this conversation?

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Oct. 25, 2011 12:23 p.m.

So you're kind of asking 'will they vote race or religion?' Maybe we should give them some credit and expect them to vote on the candidates' stand on the pressing issues of the day. Religion, and indeed race, should have nothing to do with it.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    Oct. 25, 2011 12:37 p.m.

kargirl

I agree with your 8:17p.m. comment.

I have been impressed with Obama's understanding of history and the Constitution. That he attained the Presidency through the Democratic Party is, to me, incidental. The Bi-Partisan system has become so convoluted it tells us very little about a candidate to say he or she is from one or the other party. But that is not unprecedented, either. Thinking and voting party-line has always been the lazy person's approach to politics.

Which party a President ascended in should also be incidental. Once elected POTUS, a President must be the president for the entire country, not just his or her party faction. Wise Presidents surround themselves with the right people for the job, not with partisan cronies. Obama seems to understand that (for instance, he appointed Huntsman ambassador to China).

The current crop of GOP candidates all strike me as more interested in advancing their own careers or the power of the Republican Party per se, rather than in doing what is best for this country. Their agendas are shallow and lacking in historical understanding and continuity. They are sound-bite artists, not statesmen.

• GZE SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 25, 2011 12:54 p.m.

Perhaps there are also a large number of black people who also have very high standards and values, realize the importance of families, etc. You name Mormons; I'll name African-Americans. We'll see who runs out first.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Oct. 25, 2011 1:21 p.m.

Claims about what percentage of the Mormon vote in Utah Romeny got are inpossible to sustain. The percentage he got is only in the Republican primary, ignoring the numbers who voted in the simultaneous Democrat primary.

This also ignores favorite son voting. Romeny as the key figure in the Olympic Turnaround got favorite son votes that had nothing to do with religion.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Oct. 25, 2011 1:24 p.m.

The point of this article was to cover what other people have done. At times it does not pay to reinvent the wheel. It is not the Deseret News "going down hill" but the realities of a 24/7 publishing culture.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Oct. 25, 2011 1:30 p.m.

GZE,
    There are African-Ameircan Mormons. People like Darius Gray, Keith N. Hamilton, Alan Cherry and many many more. This was never meant to be a "who has higher values competition" because the whole premise of the article is built around an overlap.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 25, 2011 3:48 p.m.

Is Obama even our president? Billions to Finland and now this? We need someone like Romney who represent the United States.

"Obama administration to support offshore drilling in Brazil

Posted by Steve M on August 18, 2009 at 12:47 pm | Share via e-mail

The U.S. is going to lend billions of dollars to Brazils state-owned oil company, Petrobras, to finance exploration of the huge offshore discovery in Brazils Tupi oil field in the Santos Basin near Rio de Janeiro. Brazils planning minister confirmed that White House National Security Adviser James Jones met this month with Brazilian officials.

• seattle_boy SEATTLE, WA
    Oct. 25, 2011 4:44 p.m.

I love how many Mormons try to forget that Harry Reid is also Mormon. Whenever I hear people talk about Mormons in politics I rarely hear them mention Harry Reid, yet he currently is the highest ranking Mormon in our nation's government. Strange.

I suppose Sen. Reid's success goes to show that Democrats can also vote for a Mormon. I am a true-blue Democrat and bleeding heart liberal (very active in my party), but oddly, I never hear any of my fellow Democrats mention Sen. Reid's religion (and, I'm in Seattle where we are very liberal).

It seems to me that only the GOP/Right have a fascination with a politician's religion.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 25, 2011 4:59 p.m.

seattle_boy,

• OneAmerican Idaho Falls, ID
    Oct. 25, 2011 10:30 p.m.

"mightymite | 11:04 a.m. Oct. 24, 2011
    DRAPER, UT
    This is the most rediculous headline for an article I have ever seen. Choose based on color or religion? This certainly shows how closed the mormon culture is.. Hmm and you wonder why people lead at the cult label???"

Your reasoning is hugely flawed. The angle in this article has nothing to do with "Mormon CULTure" (I'm covering both bases in one quote) as you say, but to do with the political leanings of its author. And those who lead at the "cult label" can easily be identified as willingly uninformed and biased (if not bigoted). I'm LDS and will NOT be voting for Mitt in the primaries, and in fact would likely vote for him last in the Republican choices available (Even after Perry's willingness to be associated with an anti-mormon preacher). Right now, Cain is leading in the polls over Mitt and is black, but the author didn't care about that angle at all.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    Oct. 26, 2011 7:53 a.m.

worf wrote:

"What's strange about it? Reid is not an active-practicing Mormon, so what's to focus on? I don't see Catholics, Baptist, etc,- focusing on inactive members either. You must have a chip on your shoulders."

Reid is not an "active" or "practicing" Mormon?

That would come as a big surprise to his family, friends, and Ward and Stake members!

That would come as a big surprise to Reid himself.

Maybe you should either stop passing on falsehoods, or offer proof of claims about which you couldn't possibly know anything.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 26, 2011 9:33 a.m.

@Riverton Cougar
    "Being a Mormon likely means you have very high standards and values, you realize the importance of families, etc. See the difference? "

I see that this is a holier-than-thou comment.

• sharrona layton, UT
    Oct. 26, 2011 10:00 a.m.

Where is Cain? Why is it assumed Mormons would vote for a Mormon? Is religion that big of a factor. Do Mormons vote as an instructed bloc? Good question also, What does Romney believe?

And he denieth none that come unto him ,black and white. Bond and free, male and female; and he remembereth the heathen ; and all are alike unto God both Jew and Gentile.(2 Nephi 26:33 Also see; 26:28)

And there was a blackness came upon all the children of Canaan, that they were despised among all people. And.(P. of G.P. Moses 7:22)for the seed of Cain were black, and had Not a place among them.

Negroes in this lifetime are denied the Priesthood( Mormon Doctrine ,23rd printing 1977 p 527-228). Changed in later printings.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 26, 2011 5:31 p.m.

I M LDS 2,

I'm not judging the guy, but I couldn't blend his politics with active church membership, so I made an assumption. opps!

• Shazandra Bakersfield, CA
    Oct. 26, 2011 6:33 p.m.

Cain, Cain- He's our man. If Mitt can't beat him, no one can!

Smart man, my choice from Day 1, before anyone had heard if him. I chose him based solely on his religion and race. An active, Bible-believing man of color! I want a principled candidate who can beat BHO. Most of my statesmen voted solely for Obama because of his race. They wanted a black prez "so we can hold our heads up again", said most friends. Out here in lib land, he could have been Muslim. They just wanted parity and rectitude for years of racism.

I wanted JC Watts to run, so I was even more thrilled to have Herman run- an outsider with no political favors. Had he been Mormon, I would have asked him if he knew his church history and why beind denied the priesthood was okay with him. Now I can just reserve that question for Mitt, should he get the momination.

• Shazandra Bakersfield, CA
    Oct. 26, 2011 7:26 p.m.

You go, Sharrona.

But don't hold your breath. Mitt won't touch the 1890 or 1978 questions. He'll just mumble his safe platitudes, so innocuous that no one can learn anything without digging deeper. You'd think folks could atleast google or wikipedia ...

My neighbors had no clue, so I did my civic duty and gave them original resources and documentation. This white-wash campaign is gonna cease.

• mightymite DRAPER, UT
    Oct. 26, 2011 7:32 p.m.

If black mormon are like the white ones then just tell them what to do over the pulpit, they will fall in line.... It's the mormon way.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Nov. 8, 2011 12:31 p.m.

Contrary to what some have said, Reid is an active and practising Mormon. I strongly disagree with many of his actions, but I will not spread false accusations that he is not a devout member of the Church.

• ThinksIThink SEATTLE, WA
    Nov. 20, 2011 1:02 a.m.

That is like asking if LDS members will vote for Romney because he is Mormon. In 2008 95% of Mormons in Utah voted for Romney, but not because he is Mormon. Compared to McCain and Huckabee, he was head and shoulders the best candidate. I don't think you will see that percentage this time around given there are a number of true conservative candidates with solid values.

• Nachtmerrie_in_Brugge Mesa, AZ
    Dec. 7, 2011 12:16 p.m.

Your title, Mr. Walker (indeed, your very choice of subjects for an article) assumes that all blacks who happen to be Mormonor all Mormons who happen to be blackare of singular political mind. I'm sure there are as many different opinions among "black Mormons" as there are "black Mormons."

• Nachtmerrie_in_Brugge Mesa, AZ
    Dec. 7, 2011 1:27 p.m.

Apparently deseretnews.com does not recognize the em dash. That should read "...all blacks who happen to be Mormon--or all Mormons who happen to be black--are of singular political mind..."